Hagel hearing set for next Thursday as Jewish Dems line up in support

Chuck Hagel’s confirmation hearing is set for next Thursday, January 31. The vetting of Chuck Hagel at times seems to be an all-Jewish affair. JTA reports on Jewish seals of approval for Hagel, emphasizing the Israel angle:

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) yesterday became the latest pro-Israel Jewish Democrat to say Chuck Hagel should get the secretary of defense job: “Senator Hagel and I had a constructive meeting, during which he answered a wide range of questions and allayed many of my concerns. Senator Hagel clarified his position on Iran sanctions and Israel, and I am confident he is firmly committed to ensuring a strong U.S.-Israel relationship… “

Other top Jewish Senate Dems on board: Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who heads the Armed Services Committee; Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.); Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), who authored last year’s enhanced security relationship act; Chuck Shumer (D-N.Y.), who likes to call himself a “guardian” of Israel.

While Sen. Lindsay Graham of South Carolina and Christians United for Israel (CUFI) are opposing Hagel, the power game here has taken place inside the Jewish establishment. The crucial Chuck Schumer approval statement was almost all about Israel:

In our meeting Monday, Senator Hagel clarified a number of his past statements and positions and elaborated on several others.

On Iran, Senator Hagel rejected a strategy of containment and expressed the need to keep all options on the table in confronting that country. But he didn’t stop there. In our conversation, Senator Hagel made a crystal-clear promise that he would do “whatever it takes” to stop Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons, including the use of military force. He said his “top priority” as Secretary of Defense would be the planning of military contingencies related to Iran….

On Hezbollah, Senator Hagel stressed that-notwithstanding any letters he refused to sign in the past-he has always considered the group to be a terrorist organization.

On Hamas, I asked Senator Hagel about a letter he signed in March 2009 urging President Obama to open direct talks with that group’s leaders.

In response, Senator Hagel assured me that he today believes there should be no negotiations with Hamas, Hezbollah or any other terrorist group until they renounce violence and recognize Israel’s right to exist.

Senator Hagel volunteered that he has always supported Israel’s right to retaliate militarily in the face of terrorist attacks by Hezbollah or Hamas…

The JTA also posts this video from the Republican Jewish Coalition that virtually accuses Hagel of anti-Semitism and that relies on “Jewish and elected officials” who are concerned about Hagel, including Rep. Eliot Engel and former Senator Joe Lieberman (identified as a Democrat here):

1. Kathleen
    January 25, 2013, 2:36 pm

Seems like so called “liberal” Zionist were backed in a corner on this one. Too much light shining on the issue

2. pabelmont
    January 25, 2013, 3:28 pm

I love it that the Hagel thang has turned into a demonstration of Jewish power in the USA. All Jews, all the time.

Wow! But no Jewish Lobby! And no Israeli Lobby! We may be stuck, again, with “The Lobby” with its implied — and well understood — “you know who that is”.

I thought it was a step forward when Pres Obama, at inaug, spoke of government “of the people, by the people, and for the people.” I hoped this meant : not “of, by, for corporations”. Now one might equally hope that it meant not “of, by. for the Zionists”.

Just saying.

• seafoid
      January 25, 2013, 6:00 pm

“The vetting of Chuck Hagel at times seems to be an all-Jewish affair”

It’s such a pity HL Mencken is no longer around. He was very good on hypocrisy and human grubbiness.

• Citizen
      January 25, 2013, 9:40 pm

@ pabelmont

Bill Kristol was on CSPAN WJ this morning, discussing where the GOP needs to go. One person called in and very briefly railed at the Jewish Lobby, after Kristol had jeered at Hagel’s ridiculous talk about any “Jewish” or “Israel Lobby.” Basically, Hagel was forced to say the Zionist rosary to get any key support for the job of American Sec Of Defense. Very disturbing. Reminds me of ye olden days when a King needed to get the blessing of the Pope.

• jimmy
        January 25, 2013, 11:27 pm

Citizen….

I quit watching Cspan a few years ago…

they turned neocon …

and yes it is very disturbing…

• Citizen
        January 28, 2013, 5:06 pm

@ jimmy
        CSPAN WJ’s latest modis operandi is to allow one comment per guest session
        (on any subject related to US foreign policy) that talks against the Israel Lobby or AIPAC, etc. The comment is never followed up by the host. This way they can say they are open to free flow of ideas on the latest issues, but the fact is the host often follows up on other calls on any issue, very often asking the guest detailed follow-up questions, all of them much less significant in terms of impact on America. It’s a cute display of utter contempt for the Americans who call in with serious concerns for where US foreign policy in the key ME is taking us all. The various hosts of CSPAN WJ remind me of Walmart employees on any issue wrt Israel and US special relationship with same. It’s so obvious they want to keep their jobs.

3. just
    January 25, 2013, 3:55 pm

I guess this makes things more clear for those in denial of reality, but it makes me both angry and sad. (I can only hope he had his fingers crossed behind his back, even partially.)

One wonders what John Kerry had to promise…

• seafoid
      January 25, 2013, 6:17 pm

“I guess they really, really want him to swear allegiance to Israel and her agenda.”

•What name do you give your Defense Secretary ?
      Reply: [Name]

•What do you ask of the Beltway’s top lobby for [Name]?

Reply: [The US senate]

You have asked to have your Secretary of Defense bulletproofed for Zionism . In doing so you are accepting the responsibility of training him (her) in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring him (her) up to keep the lobby’s commandments as AIPAC taught us, by loving Israel and hating its neighbors. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking?

Reply: [We do.]

•[Asked of thePentagon ] Are you ready to help this Secretary in his/her duty as a Zionist dog whistle ?

Reply: [We are.]

Celebrant: [Name], the Bot community welcomes you with great joy. In its name I claim you for Israel our Saviour by the sign of the hasbara . I now trace the hasbara on your forehead .

He signs the Secretary on the forehead, in silence. Then he invites the Pentagon and (if it seems appropriate) the New York Times to do the same. Mr. Foxman invites the President, Pentagon and the others to take part in the liturgy of the Word.

Renunciation of Sin and Profession of Faith

•Do you reject Iran and the Khamas ?

Reply: [I do.]

•And all their works?

Reply: [I do.]
      Including all the food ?
      Reply: [I do.]

And the Shiraz ?
      Reply: [I guess so.]

•And all their empty promises?

Reply: [I do.]

•Do you believe in Israel , the almighty, for whom heaven and earth were created ?

Reply: [I do.]

•Do you believe in Benjamin Netanyahu , who was born of a mother with a 3500 year old ring proving the link to Erez Israel and the Netanyahu name , was crucified in the media, recently died electorally and was buried, rose from the political dead and is now seated at the right hand of the President ?

Reply: [I do.]

•Do you believe in the Wholly Spiritual YESHA project , the Holy Mess of Hebron , the communion of terrified journalists , the forgiveness of war crimes , the resurrection of the Third Temple and Jerusalem as Israel’s everlasting capital ?

Reply: [I do.]

•Is it your will that [Name] be authorised in the faith of the Lobby, which we have all professed with you?

Reply: [I do.]

Mr Foxman and the New York Times give their assent to this profession of faith:

Mr Foxman : This is our faith. This is the faith of the Lobby , we are proud to profess it but anyone who draws attention to us is an antisemite

All: Amen.

4. Oklahoma farmer
    January 25, 2013, 7:27 pm

It appears Hagel’s appointment depends on whether Jews approve or not. But to hell with what the rest of Americans think.

• Kathleen
      January 26, 2013, 12:19 am

I think the support for Hagel came out loud and clear by some of the big shots General’s Jones, Scowcroft, Gates, Brezezinski, Powell. They came out relatively early in support of the nomination. I think this pulled those who might try to pull him down from behind the scenes out in the light early.

• ahhiyawa
        January 26, 2013, 1:15 pm

Hagel’s giving cover to Lautenberg, Levin, Feinstein, Boxer, Shumer and other Democrats, who are scrambling for excuses and need to assuage the fears of constituencies in their districts and big money Zionist campaign contributors.

Everyone with half a brain knows exactly where Hagel stands from his past views and opinions. In fact, what he says now to secure the SoS job means absolutely nothing and everyone knows that too. Zionists especially, because they know Democrats & Republicans supporting Hagel are blowing smoke up their asses.

• Citizen
        January 30, 2013, 6:23 am

@ ahhiyawa
        I agree.

• Boston
      January 26, 2013, 9:41 am

This is insanity.

• ahhiyawa
        January 26, 2013, 12:55 pm

>>>This is insanity.<<<

Not at all. Republican governance is working in Washington D.C. exactly as the founding generation founded and structured it.

5. Ramzi Jaber
    January 25, 2013, 8:25 pm

Liberal Zionist = Oxymoron

The grovelling to the Zionist Lobby is just disgusting.

Can someone tell these senators that it must be America First for US Senators. Last time I checked, their country was the USA.

6. Blank State
    January 25, 2013, 10:45 pm

I see the right wing (and or) zionist scumbags are running an anti-Hagel ad on national television that is a blatantly deceptive attempt to foist the ad off as an ad sponsored by a progressive organization. Although I have no doubt that there is a huge segment of the viewing public that is ignorant to the degree that they will buy into such blatant horseshit, I realize, as well, that there is a huge segment that will recognize just how despicable such a deception really is. These people are the scum of the earth to resort to such tactics, and its amazing to me that they are willing to demonstrate it to us in such an obvious manner.

• sardelapasti
      January 26, 2013, 8:07 am

Blank State:
      ” I realize, as well, that there is a huge segment [of viewing public] that will recognize just how despicable such a deception really is.”

Any basis for this?

• ahhiyawa
        January 26, 2013, 12:46 pm

>>>Any basis for this?<<<

None.

7. gingershot
    January 26, 2013, 7:23 am

Always the ‘rigged game’ – the Liberal Zionists are the ones with the power, control, and dispositive thumbs up or down on Hagel – even when it goes out of control a bit they still have to assert their absolute control

They are methodical control fre*ks – the discussion of Palestine always has to be ‘one Jew talking with another Jew’, while 6 other Jews make sure the water is muddy enough that almost no one can even see what’s going on, and if anybody persists and tries to look too closely they are smeared and tarred as ‘Anti-Semitic’

The whole peace process was the ‘rigged game’, the whole neocon push into Iraq/Iran was rigged game, the whole issue with Hagel is a rigged game. Only the Chosen Zionists decide – for the rest, they just get to study the brilliance of their masters in history courses

The whole Israel Lobby/AIPAC is the ‘rigged game’ – the means by which Zionists are able to control congress, control appointments, control the gravy train to Israel and AIPAC-think tanks so they don’t even have to PAY for the apparatus of the rigged game

Sweet deal if you can get it

8. atime forpeace
    January 26, 2013, 10:05 pm

American Jew decries being called a Neocon.
    “At the National Review Institute Summit in Washington, D.C. on Friday night, Washington Post columnist and Fox News Channel regular Charles Krauthammer disowned the term “neoconservative,” saying it has become little more than an epithet used to disparage Jewish conservatives.

“No,” Krauthammer said, when asked whether he identifies as a neoconservative. “It is an epithet. It is nothing more. It once had a meaning, when Irving Kristol and Norman Podhoretz sort of changed their political ideology and made a great case for it in the ‘70s. Today it’s usually meant as a silent synonym for ‘Jewish conservative.’”
    “And when it is meant otherwise, I would ask you whenever you hear the word [to] challenge the person to describe and explain to you what a neocon is. And I guarantee you they will have no answer. So it used to mean someone who was once a liberal, as in the ‘70s, and became more conservative and made the case for the change. Thirty years later, I don’t think it has [any] meaning at all, except for a pejorative one.”

Read more: link to dailycaller.com

9. American
    January 27, 2013, 1:24 am

Oh dear Vitter is offended……s00000000 offended….LOL……such a pathetic tool.
    If someone will get up a NYT full page ad listing names and calling these cretins “Traitors to the US” I will glady contribute to the cause…..time to quit the pc mincing around.

link to weeklystandard.com

Senator to Hagel: I’m ‘Offended’ You Suggested ‘My Support of Israel Is Somehow Contrary to My Constitutional Oath’
    5:29 PM, Jan 26, 2013 • By DANIEL

In a sharply worded letter to Chuck Hagel, President Obama’s nominee to be the next secretary of defense, Senator David Vitter of Louisiana takes issue with Hagel’s past statement that “The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here…. I’m not an Israeli senator. I’m a United States senator.” Hagel made that statement in a 2006 interview.
    ” I am concerned by the way you attempt to explain your much-reported comments regarding a ‘Jewish lobby’ and your oath to the United States Constitution rather than to Israel,” writes Vitter. “As a non-Jewish Senator who strongly supports the State of Israel, let me assure you that my support is rooted in the shared values of our two democracies. Let me further assure you that as a supporter of Israel who took the oath of office, I am offended by the suggestion that my support of Israel is somehow contrary to my Constitutional oath.”

Vitter adds, “But more importantly, given the past weeks of back and forth, I do not believe you fully understand why your comments were so offensive to Jews and Gentiles alike. Your comments do not get any better if you merely substitute ‘Israel lobby’ for ‘Jewish lobby.’ Your statements clearly suggested the existence of a Jewish or Israel lobby that ‘intimidates’ American leaders into supporting a foreign government’s interests over our own. Whether they were intentional or not, your public comments echoed centuries-old anti-Semitic conspiracy theories of influence in government and dual loyalty. Therefore, I urge you to publicly apologize for the totality of your comments.”

The letter addresses a number of other concerns expressed by Vitter and numerous other U.S. senators, including Iran, Hezbollah, and Israel.”
    >>>>

10. amigo
    January 27, 2013, 7:24 am

Excuse me.

When was the last time the “Israeli” lobby worked to get support for anyone in Israel who is not Jewish.

How many Israeli Arabs (Palestinians) are in the Israeli Lobby.

State of Israel when it suits the agenda and Jewish State when that fits the bill.

11. chinese box
    January 27, 2013, 10:34 am

And the fight is on. Looks like some (supposed) gay group is being used as a fig leaf:

link to nytimes.com