QUESTION: On the same topic, in the last – over the weekend, the Israelis forcibly moved Palestinians who had tried to reclaim an area taken from them for a settlement in the E1 area in Bab al-Shams. Do you have any comment on that?
MS. [Victoria] NULAND: We’ve obviously been aware of recent developments in E1. I will again take this opportunity to urge all sides, both sides, to refrain from unhelpful action, from unhelpful rhetoric, and to think seriously about the consequences of their actions. Every step taken should be designed to reduce tension, to prepare the way for getting back to the negotiating table.
QUESTION: Would that be the kind of nonviolent resistance that the Palestinians ought to pursue in fighting the occupation?
MS. NULAND: I’m not sure what you’re –
QUESTION: Doing – taking action like that, going to areas and pitching tents and staying up there and do temporary housing and staying on land without seeking – without resorting to violence, that would be the kind of action that the Palestinians ought to do in sort of undoing the occupation?
MS. NULAND: We oppose all unilateral action, Said, including settlement activities of any kind. They complicate efforts to resume direct bilateral talks. This includes in the E1 area. It’s just not helpful…
QUESTION: Toria –
QUESTION: Can I just go back to the –
MS. NULAND: Yeah.
QUESTION: It’s not a settlement question, per se, but do you have any comment on the situation of these Palestinian villages in South Hebron Hills?
MS. NULAND: I don’t. Let me look into that one, Matt.
QUESTION: And they’re being forcibly relocated because they’re apparently inside an Israeli military firing zone.
MS. NULAND: I don’t have any information on that one. If we have anything to say, I’ll share it with you tomorrow.
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 … 9
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel … 76
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy … 43
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream … 51
- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 55
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 78
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 111
- ‘Visit Palestine’–My personal message to Mayor Bill de Blasio 5
- Two Gazans killed by a missile strike, and hundreds mourn 0
- Anti-Defamation League exploits fear of Muslims to undermine anti-gay bill 0
- Reflections of an Iraqi in Palestine 0
- Judith Butler, Rashid Khalidi and over 150 other scholars condemn … 0
- New Israeli legislation favoring Christians seeks to divide Palestinian community 0
- Florida Jewish leader quits a Hillel board to protest bar … 0
- Mainstream press embraces Netanyahu’s speech as supporting Kerry initiative 0
- Capitalism and its contradictions: From Arizona to Florida to #UCLAdivest 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 116
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 110
- ‘NYT’ says East Jerusalem isn’t occupied, and Israel lobby takes … 108
- ‘NYT’ dismisses Wieseltier attack on Judis as tempest-in-a-teapot 99
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- Poll: If two-states collapse, Americans overwhelmingly favor ‘democracy’ 89
- Tufts SJP Mock Settlement IAW 2014 http://t.co/G2KJpIlxY4 via @youtube, 3 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: Israeli envoy meets with Ukrainian Right Sector leader who has praised Hitler ally Bandera: http://t.co/Ut3F2dTD9q http://t.co/WgtIDTopb7, 6 hours ago
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream saga revisited http://t.co/qE0TlSctRS, 7 hours ago
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy pact with Netanyahu http://t.co/uST71IRFuH, 7 hours ago
- 2013 was record year in new settlement construction, and 2014 rate is already higher http://t.co/Phwx6Af7Fh, 9 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- State Dept to ‘check out’ vicious attack on Palestinian athletes (83)
- Thousands denied water in Jerusalem as California Gov signs energy pact with Netanyahu (43)
- A model factory for a colonialism in trouble: the SodaStream saga revisited (51)
- ‘Daily Beast’ labels Abbas ‘stubborn’ for refusing to recognize Israel as Jewish state (76)
- Judith Butler, Rashid Khalidi and over 150 other scholars condemn censorship, intimidation of Israel critics (35)
- talknic: MahaneYehude1 “I just want to clarify the comment about the Quran verses mentioned here. Indeed,...
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy (78)
- Bandolero: American Israel meddles all the time…in the ME they meddle ‘directly” …..in other areas of the world they...