Roger Waters says Israel’s wall is ’100 times more horrifying’ than Berlin wall

The Institute for Middle East Understanding has published a translation of an interview with Roger Waters by Alon Hadar that appeared in Hebrew in the September 18, 2013 issue of Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper. Waters is a highly controversial figure in Israel because he has vigorously supported the Boycott Divestment Sanctions (BDS) call. Here are excerpts of the very long interview. He defends his use of the term apartheid to describe the occupation, says blaming the Palestinians for the conflict is like blaming a rape victim for being raped, and says the Israeli separation wall is 100 times more horrifying than the Berlin wall– and the Berlin wall was taken down.

Go to the link to see his views on an attack on Syria (he’s against it).  Excerpts:

Hadar: Israel is one of the few states in the Middle East where an artist like yourself can come and express his opinions without fearing for his life. Don’t be a big hero abroad, come here and try to convince us that you’re right.

Waters: “I tried to convince, it was not effective. I never saw a visit of a popular musician having an impact on Israeli policy, other than the fact that those singers legitimize that policy.”

H: The international artists that ignored your calls argued that you shouldn’t mix politics and music.

W: “I know these arguments: “I’m only a humble musician,” “I’m only doing my show.” That was the position of Alicia Keys.”

H: You tried to convince her with no success, she arrived here and performed here.

W: “She’s a grown woman and can do whatever she wants.”..

H: And meanwhile, your fans feel quite hurt by you.

W: “I want the fans to understand that I’m not just talking in order to criticize. I am criticizing the government’s policy. I don’t want to criticize Israeli citizens.”

H: And still, you boycott them.

W: “I’ve been in your country, I’ve traveled throughout the West Bank, I visited Jenin. I saw the checkpoints, the settlements, the occupation forces. I decided that I wanted to protest. What do they expect me to do in order to protest? To chain myself to the railings at Buckingham palace? That doesn’t seem particularly effective.”

H: But a cultural boycott is an exceptional and extreme step.

W: “When white activists started to organize protests outside South Africa to awaken world public opinion, they said: ‘You have to take apart the system because it is wrong.’ The movement progressed slowly over the years and developed the idea of a cultural boycott. The only reason for the boycott is that it is effective.”

H: You’re talking about an apartheid regime in South Africa. Here the situation is totally different.

W: “In the occupied territories, Jews are governed by civil laws and there are totally different laws for the Palestinians and the Arabs, who are under military laws. That is exactly like the old Pass Laws that were in South Africa. That’s apartheid! Clear and simple. No question.”

At this point, Waters refers us to the dictionary, to check the exact definition of apartheid, to prove that he is right. And indeed: “Population separation on the basis of race, a regime where the ruling race has privileges that members of other races do not have.” This doesn’t help, Waters continues: “When one race or ethnic group controls another race or ethnic group by means of its power, this is the crime of apartheid and that’s the status quo, all day, every day, in the occupied territories,” he says and raises his voice. “That’s how it is in Israel itself as well, there are different laws depending on whether you are Jewish or Arab.”

H: You forget that Netanyahu already declared his support for the idea of two states and called on the Palestinians to enter into negotiations without preconditions.

W: “There are some politicians who say something about the two-state solution and that they want peace, but their policies don’t show any sign that that’s true. They continue building settlements, they continue the occupation.”

H: Israel has never annexed the territories. At every opportunity, it declares that this situation is temporary. There is not one Israeli citizen who is not interested in peace.

W: “If you look at the map and see where the settlements are and where the wall passes, then you see that it’s not something temporary. There is a deliberate attempt here to annex the entire territory. By the way, they already annexed East Jersualem and the Golan Heights officially, not just de facto.”…

H: You are painting a picture of black and white, of the good guys and the bad guys. And what about the Palestinians? Aren’t they partly to blame for the situation?

W: “I think that putting part of the blame on Palestinians is a bit like putting part of the blame of rape on the woman being raped. The victim is never guilty. In this case, Palestinians were expelled from their land in `48 by armed force and were not allowed to return to their homes. They are the victims. It is unavoidable that some of them will try to resist in ways that I do not agree with.”

H: You’re supposed to be a peace loving man, and here you are doing a boycott. Is that really the right way?

W: “Yes, just like in South Africa. In the end, it was very effective and the only state that continued to support the whites in South Africa was Israel. Even though South Africa is still not a perfect place in any sense of the word, there is no discrimination there anymore. I want you to get to that situation in Israel.”…

H: Did you grow up in a political household?

W: “My mother was a declared communist. Our house was filled with documentation of the cruelest crimes committed in the name of Nazi ideology and the Third Reich. I was never in the gas chambers, obviously, but I was exposed as a young child to its results, and I have never forgotten the Holocaust. My mother (who died a few years ago at the age of 96) dedicated the rest of her life to political activism that she believed would provide great benefit to a great number of people.”

H: Your father was killed when you were only five months old, in that same war.

W: “My father died fighting the Nazis while in the British army in south Italy. Before the war, he was very involved in Palestine, he was a teacher at Saint George’s School in Jerusalem and dearly loved the country and its people. So I feel a kind of connection to this country through him. They ask me, “why do you do it?” I have no choice but to do what I’m doing. My political life and the feeling that I have to take part and be active are totally connected to the example I got from both my parents. My parents could have been two complete idiots, and then I guess I wouldn’t be what I am today. I feel very lucky that my parents were good, decent, thoughtful people.”…

H: That is not a wall, that is a separation fence that was built after a series of suicide bombings that originated in Palestinian Authority areas. You insist on continuing to see it as a symbol of ethnic separation.

W: “You listen to the official position of every Israeli government for generations, that you need the barrier for defense, and then you look at the map, and you understand that it is there for land theft and annexation in every possible sense. So why do you lie? Why pretend that it has any connection whatsoever to security matters? You need to be on the Green Line, on the 1967 borders, as you intended. But you’re not, it’s another piece of untruth, they are lying and I don’t understand how they expect to advance toward peace this way.”

H: Come on, is it really possible to compare the separation wall with the Berlin wall?

W: “Your wall is a hundred times more horrifying, and yours still exists – theirs was destroyed a long time ago.”…

H: All you do is criticize. How should the West act in the chaos of the Middle East?

W: “The first step is to leave them alone. Don’t decide that you know what’s best, that you can be the cop of the region. We need to stop sending them arms. You want to fight? Go pick up a rock. Let’s not make it into an industry that starts wars and makes trillions of dollars. One day, you’re playing in the backyard of your garden and a minute later you have no legs. Why?…”

H: You celebrated your 70th birthday. Do you have thoughts about your age? Until when will you continue to perform?

W: “I don’t think about my age when it comes to anything that has to do with my performance on stage or my work. I think about it in my own personal context – how much longer I have to live. You can’t reach the age of 70 without fearing for your condition and without feeling that you’re creaking.”

1. Lucas
    September 19, 2013, 6:28 pm

Really good excerpt. Waters is articulate and cuts down the double speak.

2. just
    September 19, 2013, 6:33 pm

Waters is an intelligent and honest human.

Love him ever more every time I read/listen to him.

• jewishgoyim
      September 19, 2013, 6:52 pm

I have to say he is very steadfast and eloquent in his replies to this zio-bot. He is thoughtful. The last question rings like: “Ok you’re annoyingly effective in replying to my questions but you’ll soon be dead, right?”.
      I had no idea he was such a good advocate for cultural boycott.

3. LanceThruster
    September 19, 2013, 6:52 pm

In a just world, this would qualify one for “Righteous Gentile” status.

4. OlegR
    September 19, 2013, 7:11 pm

Waters proves once again the being a great artist does not make you a great expert
    in politics, history, morals or anything else other then the subject matter
    that the artists excels in.

• Cliff
      September 19, 2013, 8:46 pm

He’s got more expertise in those categories than most politically active artists – and certainly more than any Zionist.

• just
      September 19, 2013, 8:51 pm

You’re sooo funny, Oleg!

Care to explain this? :

“American friends of Israel are working hard to keep that country’s presence felt in positive ways in American universities. From the cutting edge Cornell-Technion campus on Roosevelt Island to numerous “Israel studies” programs on campuses (also in the UK), to this Israeli artists-in-residence program I learned about last week, they are seeking to weave Israel into the tapestry of the American academy, at a time when Israel’s critics are seeking to delegitimize the Jewish state.”

link to mondoweiss.net

• seafoid
        September 20, 2013, 10:46 am

Waters can’t comment because, er, he is not a bot. And meanwhile we know that hasbara is failing. But there can be no link since, er, Waters is clueless.

5. Mike_Konrad
    September 19, 2013, 8:37 pm

A truly idiotic comparison.

• talknic
      September 20, 2013, 2:32 am

@ Mike_Konrad /// Your wall is a hundred times more horrifying, and yours still exists – theirs was destroyed a long time ago.”… ///

“A truly idiotic comparison”

Bearing in mind the phrase “never again” and the fact that the Israeli separation barrier is not even built on Israeli territory, would you care to try to explain why the comparison is idiotic … thx

• ziusudra
        September 22, 2013, 3:59 am

Greetings talknic,
        ….the israeli Separation barrier is not even build on israeli territory…..
        As the Indians would give Mr Penn of Pennsylvania as much land as a man could run from sun rise to sun set, Penn got his strongest runner, but also gave him a stick instructing him to launch said stick at sun set proving that he had gotten farther!
        Unbeknowst to him, the baves also ran along well hidden by the passing of trees! They recognized the deceptiveness of Mr Penn.
        ziusudra

• Taxi
      September 20, 2013, 2:36 am

I was a student in England when the Berlin Wall fell. Myself and a couple of student friends promptly flew to Berlin, literally a handful of hours after the news broke. When we arrived at the Wall after midnight, there was a carnival spirit and tens of thousands of people there, including quite a few people with sledgehammers. I offered 10 Deutsche Marks to have a sledgehammer guy break a piece of the wall for me, but he refused money and said: “I do it for zee beer”. So I got him a beer and he gave me a chunk of the Berlin Wall, the size of my palm, with a bit of purple graffiti on it that said: “Free my…”, the rest of the sentence was missing. I was thrilled, needless to say, and I’ve kept this chunk of wall ever since.

Looking forward to getting a piece of israel’s Apartheid wall, bartered for another beer :-)

:-))

:-)))

• Shmuel
        September 20, 2013, 2:58 am

Taybeh!

• Taxi
          September 21, 2013, 2:39 am

Well alright, Shmuel, come the time, meet me at the Apartheid wall with a sledgehammer and I will bring you a six pack of Taybeh beer!

• seafoid
      September 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Why?

Zionism is just another ideology driving on fumes.

• Woody Tanaka
      September 20, 2013, 8:47 pm

“A truly idiotic comparison”

Yes, the Berlin Wall was evil, but not as evil as the Wall in Palestine

6. southernobserver
    September 19, 2013, 8:43 pm

An impressively accurate summary, showing deep insight and a consistent moral position. Our politicians and universities would learn much from this great human.

7. Ludwig
    September 19, 2013, 10:03 pm

This terrible man put a star of David on a flying pig in his concerts. I was shocked and appalled. How can he get away with something like that? Animations of airplanes dropping dollar signs and Jewish stars. I tell everyone possible never to listen to this guy.

• Justpassingby
      September 20, 2013, 3:52 am

I tell everyone possible never to listen to this guy.

Censorship is hard these days isnt it?

• Cliff
      September 20, 2013, 4:09 am

You were shocked and appalled? Were you shocked and appalled when Jewish terrorists in the IDF carved a Star of David into Gazan farmland during the 2008 Gaza Massacre?

Jewish Star in Gaza field causes stir
      link to jpost.com

The Star Of David is on the Israeli Flag and is part of Jewish nationalism.

It’s a completely legitimate target.

So stop your lying, concern troll.

• K Renner
      September 20, 2013, 4:14 am

Even your precious ADL (which sees anti Semitism around every corner, as per the mythos) absolved Waters of “anti Semitic sentiment” in this case, so you’re ineffectually beating a dead horse here.

Not that anyone would take you seriously, and for good reason.

• just
      September 20, 2013, 6:25 am

Well, Ludwig– you go right ahead and conduct your boycott of Mr. Waters. I am pretty sure that people still listen to his music and his pleas for justice, in spite of your outrage.

As to how he can “get away with something like” flying pigs…well, that’s the way of the world, dude. Note that he protests Israel’s actions and Apartheid and the terrorizing wall– not Judaism.

• Frankie P
      September 20, 2013, 8:49 am

@Ludwig

Israel puts the Star of David on airplanes, bombs, and tanks that bomb innocent Palestinians. How can it get away with that? I am shocked and apalled. Airplanes dropping dollar signs can’t compare with airplanes dropping massive munitions on civilians. I listen to Roger Waters and will continue to do so.

FPM

• eljay
        September 20, 2013, 9:11 am

>> Ludwig: This terrible man put a star of David on a flying pig in his concerts.

Oh.My.God. What a terrible, terrible man! Terrible! :-(

>> Ludwig: How can he get away with something like that? Animations of airplanes dropping dollar signs and Jewish stars.
        >> Frankie P: Israel puts the Star of David on airplanes, bombs, and tanks that bomb innocent Palestinians. How can it get away with that?

Ludwig is disturbed by animations that do not kill – and is not disturbed by “Jewish State” airplanes and bombs and tanks that do kill – because he is a hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist.

• Shingo
          September 20, 2013, 10:55 pm

It goes to illustrate the depths of Ludwig’s racist supremacist views. An insult to a Ziosupremacist (attacking Israel’s crimes against humanity) is a great injustice in his view that the mass murder of Palestinians.

• seafoid
        September 20, 2013, 10:43 am

Stars of David adorn settlements all over East Jerusalem and the West Bank. Judaism never said anything.

So sad ya.

• Shingo
      September 20, 2013, 10:33 am

This terrible man put a star of David on a flying pig in his concerts.

Cry all you like. Not even the ADL says it was anti semitic.

The flying pigs were always part of the act. Israel is a pariah and apartheid state, so the Star of David belongs there.

• Hostage
      September 20, 2013, 1:03 pm

This terrible man put a star of David on a flying pig in his concerts.

So what? It’s a political statement about an abusive government. FYI, over the years he’s had various national emblems, including the stars and stripes on them too. Get over yourself.

• Woody Tanaka
      September 20, 2013, 8:29 pm

hypocrite. The israeli state has been shitting on the star of David since 1948, and you complain about this????

• Jan
      September 21, 2013, 1:24 am

Ludwig – Israel chose to use the symbol for the Jewish religion as the symbol for their state. Therefore they should not be upset when the Star of David is used in the same way that some who believe US policies to be abhorrent use the American flag to represent the US. There are many in the US who think that the US is a Christian country and for a long time the vast majority of people in the US considered themselves to be Christian. But the US never used the Cross as the symbol for the country.

• traintosiberia
      September 21, 2013, 11:16 am

I remember seeing the sentence ” from Moses to Saddam” emblazoning a picture of a missile in an article in The Times in 1991 immediately after the 1st Gulf war

8. Hostage
    September 19, 2013, 10:05 pm

At every opportunity Israel engages in gross exaggeration. People die nearly everyday without attaining the age in years that this temporary occupation has already lasted. No person of good faith can describe an intolerable situation that has lasted 65 years as a temporary one.

• seafoid
      September 20, 2013, 12:36 am

The interviewer was on hasbara autopilot. Waters is an intellectual. It was a mismatch.

• Justpassingby
        September 20, 2013, 3:53 am

seafoid, just my view too! He effectively blocked this hasbara autopilot.

• seafoid
          September 20, 2013, 3:25 pm

Hasbara doesn’t work on people who think about things deeper than the newspapers do

9. seafoid
    September 20, 2013, 12:29 am

What he says about the influence of his parents reminds me of what Norman Finklestein and Amira Hass have said about their parents. Good, decent, thoughtful.

10. kalithea
    September 20, 2013, 12:58 am

“He defends his use of the term apartheid to describe the occupation, says blaming the Palestinians for the conflict is like blaming a rape victim for being raped, and says the Israeli separation wall is 100 times more horrifying than the Berlin wall– and the Berlin wall was taken down.”

Personally, the title of this piece bothers me and the above paragraph bothers me, because taken out of context this way it makes him appear like he’s exaggerating when clearly, he’s not. Taking both of his analogies out of the context of his discussion bothers me.

I would prefer that you had focused on the following 3 parts which really demonstrate why Israelis/Zionists are so evil and in turn EXPLAIN WHY he had to use the precise but extreme analogy of rape, and why he feels the wall in the Territories is worse than the Berlin wall.

1. ” …Palestinians were expelled from their land in `48 by armed force and were not allowed to return to their homes. They are the victims.”

BUT, Israelis/Zionists keep passing themselves off as the victims when in fact they took that land BY FORCE.

2. “In the occupied territories, Jews are governed by civil laws and there are totally different laws for the Palestinians and the Arabs, who are under military laws. That is exactly like the old Pass Laws that were in South Africa. That’s apartheid! Clear and simple. No question.”

Palestinians are prisoners and discriminated against in their own land!

3. “There is a deliberate attempt here to annex the entire territory. ”

Israelis are continuously ROBBING Palestinians of more and more land and the wall is the ultimate symbol of THEFT, DISCRIMINATION, IMPRISONMENT and the actual RAPE of Palestinian land by Israelis. Ergo: h…ll yeah! it is worse than the Berlin Wall!

Zionists are the most deceitful lot on the planet, because there can be no other explanation for how such crimes and injustice have evolved so obviously for so long with TOTAL IMPUNITY.

11. kalithea
    September 20, 2013, 1:03 am

My advice for all Zionists:

Of these I am certain: No matter what you pull there will be justice, and above all, fear God when you deceive to delay it.

• Kathleen
      September 20, 2013, 7:24 am

No turning back. Only going to get worse for Israel if they continue to refuse to play fair.

12. K Renner
    September 20, 2013, 1:31 am

What was the point of having the interview at all?

He could’ve just yammered away– “no no you’re wrong you have no idea what you’re talking about no you don’t know anything we’re the only actual humans in the Middle East and the Palestinians and all other Arabs are bestial and liars anti Semitism anti Semitism”.

That would’ve saved some time but I suppose these sorts have to put marginal effort into appearing to have a veneer of sanity.

13. yrn
    September 20, 2013, 2:33 am

Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Should Shut Up About Israel, And Play His Guitar….
    “Two things are infinite,” Albert Einstein said. “The universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the universe.”
    Einstein could have added a third element in endless supply that is a close cousin of the second: the bottomless pit of artist celebrities who feel anointed because of their success or ego to lead foreign affairs debates.
    Its about time world press get’s their reactions
    link to forbes.com

• Cliff
      September 20, 2013, 4:05 am

Oh look an angry Zionist Jew bashing Palestinian agency in a major American periodical.

Simply surprising! Thanks for alerting us to this new development, troll!

• K Renner
      September 20, 2013, 4:08 am

Upset that he actually has points that are based in fact?

Here’s a deal– if Roger Waters stops talking about Palestine, can you get dried up raisins (and talentless hacks) like gene simmons to shut up too?

I mean, it should be across the board– and the talentless raisin actually has no idea what he blathers on about. All that time in KISS damaged that rather small brain of his.

EDIT: I think that Forbes article is pretty pathetic, when it comes down to it. Rosenberg can’t even whine and bleat about “latent anti-Semitism” creatively.

• Bumblebye
        September 20, 2013, 5:01 pm

Can’t remember his ‘real’ name, but Gene Simmons is Israeli born.
        He can’t be bothered to live there, but obviously has that ingrained knee-jerk defense mechanism.

• amigo
      September 20, 2013, 9:01 am

“the bottomless pit of artist celebrities who feel anointed because of their success or ego to lead foreign affairs debates.”Yarn

Unless they are celebrities siding with the occupation Nation.

Then they are, well caring honest, intelligent saints.

Blahasbarf.

• Shingo
      September 20, 2013, 10:36 am

Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Should Shut Up About Israel, And Play His Guitar….

If he was being an Israeli sycophant, Eric Rosenberg would sing his praises. Just another Zionist jackass nobody with an opinion no one cares about.

• eljay
      September 20, 2013, 10:55 am

>> Einstein could have added a third element in endless supply …

Einstein could have added a fourth element: Human immorality. Zio-supremacists like yrneee have an astounding over-abundance of it.

• kalithea
      September 20, 2013, 12:54 pm

Here’s how Einstein REALLY felt about Zionism:

“My awareness of the essential nature of Judaism resists the idea of a Jewish state with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power, no matter how modest. I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain—especially from the development of A NARROW NATIONALISM within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state.

And here’s how he felt about nationalism.:

“Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.”

Like most “cultural” Zionists, I believe Einstein had an ambivalent and guilt-ridden relationship with Zionism.

“Einstein was one of the authors of an open letter to the New York Times in 1948 deeply criticizing Menachem Begin’s Herut (Freedom) Party for the Deir Yassin massacre (Einstein et al. 1948) likening it to “the Nazi and Fascist parties”…

link to en.wikipedia.org

He also said this about his own invention:

“The release of atomic power has changed everything except our way of thinking … the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker. (1945)”

Imagine, just imagine if he lived long enough to witness the evolution of Zionism to the present.

But that shouldn’t have been necessary; a man of his knowledge should have seen this coming. Let’s just say that he was a genius with lousy understanding of human nature, aside from his tribal attachment which clouded his perception of the Frankenstein his Zionist friends were creating.

• Hostage
      September 20, 2013, 1:45 pm

Einstein could have added a third element in endless supply

He did describe some other things as being bad, including Israel:

“I should much rather see reasonable agreement with the Arabs on the basis of living together in peace than the creation of a Jewish state. Apart from practical consideration, my awareness of the essential nature of Judaism resists the idea of a Jewish state with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power no matter how modest. I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain — especially from the development of a narrow nationalism within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state.”
      - Albert Einstein, in Ideas and Opinions, Crown Publishers, New York, 1954, p. 190

“The State idea is not according to my heart. I cannot understand why it is needed. It is connected with narrow-minded and economic obstacles. I believe it is bad. I have always been against it.”
      - cited in Alfred M. Lilienthal, What Price Israel?, 50th Anniversary edition, 2003, pg. 130

• Woody Tanaka
      September 20, 2013, 8:26 pm

“Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Should Shut Up About Israel, And Play His Guitar….”

yrn, you are a typical fascist.

• chris o
      September 20, 2013, 9:56 pm

Every thing is wrong with this statement. Obviously, Waters has immense talent. He is known for playing bass, not guitar. He is incredibly informed as to what he speaks. And a true expert of Walls. Finally, Einstein never uttered that alleged quote. And I have no doubt where Einstein would stand on this issue (hint: with Roger Waters).

• traintosiberia
      September 21, 2013, 11:08 am

I kind of see your point.I will extend it to the past,future,and apply it to the present. We should not mix business with politics and exonerate those who opposed the boycott of Nazi economic activities, and would prevent future effort to try same to any regime and stop the present BDS. We should not have boycotted Olympics in 80s and should not have pressured IOC in 1936 to force Hitler not to discriminate against Jews athletes .We should not not raise the issue of boycotting winter Olympics.
      A lot of things don’t mix with politics. Religion is one of them but we always mix religion with politics.Jabotnsky,Herzl,Ben Guron,Brandeis,Weizman all the way to Nathanyahoo and Israel itself would have to look for a reason to exist had politics failed to mix with religion. Wagner should have never had to endure boycott either. Neither the Shakespere’s play on the role of Shylock. Religion is allowed to play with politics when Israel decided to egg on the west to denounce the Christmas greetings of Ahmednezad .The wishing well to Jewish people by current Iranain president has come under negative review . Politics does get in the way of every other civilized behavior including listening to music or playing host to cultural meetings or even publishing scientific literature or scholarly collaboration.I am referring to AIPAC occupied Congress mandated behavior to Iran.

14. Justpassingby
    September 20, 2013, 3:51 am

Great response by Waters, the eager hasbara person interviewing try with all techniques to destroy Waters argument but fail!

15. Citizen
    September 20, 2013, 6:39 am

Rouhani: in interview on NBC: In response to Israel saying he was being deceptive when he said Iran has no intention of building nuclear weapons, he characterized Israel as an occupier, usurper government that does injustice to the people of the region, and causes instability in the region with its war-mongering policies. link to reut.rs via @reuters

Fox news talking infotainment heads discussed the Rouhani interview yesterday, dissing him as not credible as to his saying Iran has no intention to built the nukes, but not showing or discussing the part that followed, which dissed Israel.
    Netanyahu is worried about the Rouhani’s pending meeting with Obama, and lost no time calling Rouhani a liar.

More: link to csmonitor.com

16. Kathleen
    September 20, 2013, 7:22 am

Roger Waters compassionate, brave and truthful.

17. Chu
    September 20, 2013, 9:32 am

What’s funny is that Rogers isn’t saying anything that’s beyond the pale. He is letting the deluded Israeli know what any alien craft would see when they landed on planet earth. It’s an apartheid system.

I guess that the bubble of Israelis is often so thick they really can’t see what apartheid is (it’s our defense, duh!). They cling to what bought and paid AIPAC politicians say (or don’t say) about the state of affairs. It’s why one day soon, the tank is likely going to run out of gas on this occupation – it’s not a sustainable truth. And the force of the internet over corporate media is allowing people who are unconvinced about the big lie, become convinced of the nature of the apartheid state.

I never knew Waters father was a teacher in Jerusalem. Good that he told his back story and connection, while the interviewer seemed to get angrier and angrier. Rogers wasn’t accepting the doublespeak, and at the end the guy was craving a serious dose of ziocane.

18. MHughes976
    September 20, 2013, 11:42 am

I might not manage 100 times the frisson when thinking of the Israeli wall vs the Berlin wall, though I did once hear a Jewish colleague saying very eloquently what an extraordinary impact the physical reality of the Israeli wall makes and we all sense the extraordinary message of racial division and inferiority it conveys. I suppose that the Berlin wall was in its way, however horrific amid all that le Carre imagery, a kind of admission of defeat from the moment it was built, pathetic as well as brutal, whereas the other one still exudes a terrifying confidence. That’s as close as I can get to interpreting Waters’ feelings.

19. fnlevit
    September 20, 2013, 12:32 pm

About the “wall” or as Israel calls it “separation fence” or BBC “barrier”. Only totally mindless person can compare this “wall” to the Berlin wall. The latter was built by East Germany to PREVENT ITS OWN CITIZEN FROM CROSSING TO THE OUTSIDE, to the fredom of the West Berlin and West Germany. Israeli barrier servess an opposite goal – to prevent suicide bombers to cross INSIDE Israel. Its contruction was the direct result of one of the worst crimes of the modern history – the suicide bombings of CIVILIAN TARGETS. In my strong accessment that it was these bombing which completely changed the course of the Oslo process, led to the strongest shift of Israeli electorat to the right and to the complete loss of trust in the desire of the Palestinians to reach peace with Israel. We JUST STOPPED believing them and view most of the so called peace negotiations as tactical manuevering to gain a better position to start attacking us again.

Just to remind – below is the list of the bombings by years. This is the link. link to en.wikipedia.org.
    Press on each year to see how many civilian lifes were lost and how many were injured. Busses, discoteque, pizza parlor, shopping centers, in the middle of streets of cities, towns, villages.
    The sharp drop in the number around 2006 is the result of the construction of the barrier. The barrier cost is formiddable – in excess of $2 bln. Contrary to what you all think the wall is only 5% of the barrier. The rest is a multiple fence with patrol roads running next to it. The wall is only in towns and cities to prevent sniper fire.

It actually started in June 2001 by a grass roots organization called “Fence for Life – The Public Movement for The Security Fence” began the grassroots effort for the construction of a continuous security fence. The movement was founded by people from all over Israel following the Dolphinarium discotheque suicide bombing.

The stated goal of the movement is to encourage the government to construct a security fence along Israel’s borders. “Fence for Life” urged the government to build a contiguous fence as speedily as possible, and without any connection to the political future of the areas it separates, with a goal of hermetically sealing off the Palestinian territories from Israeli population centers to prevent the terrorist acts by Palestinians against the people living in Israel.

The “Fence for Life” campaign emphasized that any security fence has no connection whatsoever to the political future of the settlements. The Movement for the Security Fence for Israel included protests, demonstrations, conferences with public figures, media blitzes, lobbying in the Knesset as well as legal battles in the High Court of Justice, both with demands to quickly build the security fence as well as appeals not to cause further delay in construction. The movement does not support any specific path for the barrier, as this is subject to a government decision. “Fence for Life” was of the opinion that “politicization” of the fence by various groups was delaying the completion of the security barrier and is likely to block its construction. At the end of 2002, due to government inaction, several localities who suffered the most from lack of a border barrier had started to build the barrier using their own funds directly on the green-line.[27]

1.1 1989 (1 attack)

2.1 1993 (2 bombings)
    2.2 1994 (5 bombings)
    2.3 1995 (4 bombings)
    2.4 1996 (4 bombings)
    2.5 1997 (3 bombings)
    2.6 1998 (2 bombings)
    2.7 1999 (2 bombings)

3 2000s 3.1 2000 (5 bombings)
    3.2 2001 (40 bombings)
    3.3 2002 (47 bombings)
    3.4 2003 (23 bombings)
    3.5 2004 (17 bombings)
    3.6 2005 (9 bombings)
    3.7 2006 (3 bombings)
    3.8 2007 (1 bombing)
    3.9 2008 (2 bombings)

The sharp drop in the number

• American
      September 20, 2013, 4:16 pm

@fnlevit

The world has gone deaf to your whine.
      Every Israeli killed is one Israel ultimately caused to be killed.
      You stole the land. You victimized the inhabtants. You built the wall.
      90% of the world is against you.
      Happy nightmares to you..

• jimby
      September 20, 2013, 10:27 pm

Excuse me, but you omitted the hundred of buses blown up throughout the 1930s and 40s by the Irgun and Lehi millitias. You dopes started it.

• talknic
      September 20, 2013, 10:27 pm

fnlevit ” … the Berlin wall. The latter was built by East Germany to PREVENT ITS OWN CITIZEN FROM CROSSING TO THE OUTSIDE, to the fredom of the West Berlin and West Germany Israeli barrier servess an opposite goal – to prevent suicide bombers to cross INSIDE Israel”

Uh? It stops Palestinians from crossing into Palestinian territory. Your wholly holey moldy old Hasbara drivel simply doesn’t make the grade. The separation barriers is nowhere near Israel.

Israel proclaimed to the world in order to be recognized ” that the state of Israel has been proclaimed as an independent republic within frontiers approved by the General Assembly of the United Nations in its Resolution of November 29, 1947, and that a provisional government has been charged to assume the rights and duties of government for preserving law and order within the boundaries of Israel, for defending the state against external aggression, and for discharging the obligations of Israel to the other nations of the world in accordance with international law. The Act of Independence will become effective at one minute after six o’clock on the evening of 14 May 1948, Washington time.” Israel has not since legally acquired any territory. That’s why there are hundreds of UNSC resolutions reminding the Jewish state of its legal obligations….the ones it said it would uphold, but hasn’t

“The stated goal of the movement is to encourage the government to construct a security fence along Israel’s borders. “

Then why hasn’t it been built on Israel’s borders?

• RoHa
      September 20, 2013, 10:43 pm

I suppose a wall was easier than trying to offer justice and friendship to the Palestinians.

• Shingo
      September 21, 2013, 12:24 am

Only totally mindless person can compare this “wall” to the Berlin wall.

Not at all. They were both created to carve out land and built by occupying powers. The apartheid Israeli Wall being far more gratuitous and cynical of course.

Israeli barrier serves the goal of permanently annexing stolen land, albeit unofficially. The apartheid wall serves no defense against suicide attacks. 1,500 Palestinians are able to get through it every week, so any determined suicide bomber would haven’t problem doing the same.

The reason that suicide attacks ended is because Hamas came to their senses and realized they were counter productive, so the declared an end to them.

WTF are you talking about? Israel killed more Palestinian children during that period than a the Israeli civilians and military personnel combined. If the suicide attacks could ever be described as one of the worst crimes of the modern history , then it pales in comparison, especially when you add the ongoing ethnic cleansing, illegal settlements (ie. violations of the 4th GC) and violations of their obligations as an occupying power.

Bullshit. As Miko Peled documented in his book, the historical record shows that the only reason the Israelis even agreed to peace talks in 1993 was because they were by that stage, confident they had built enough infrastructure and made the occupation sufficiently permanent that no functional Palestinian state had any possibility of emerging. The Olso process was nothing more than a means of giving the occupying legitimacy by hiding it behind a facade of the peace process. Rabin’s own comments reveal that the Israeli leadership had no intention of allowing the Palestinians to have a state.

Projection. The peace negotiations as tactical manuevering to legitimize the occupying and the illegal settlements, which exploded under Olso.

The costs, as always, were born out by the US taxpayer. The wall runs around illegal settlements and water sources, to ensure the stolen land is never returned to the Palestinians.

Rubbish. That movement was a right organization that seized on the idea of a barrier so that they could exploit it and use it to grab land. As we all know, the stated goal of constructing a wall along Israel’s borders was ignored, and instead, the real goal was to steal more Palestinian land.

That is why the ICL ruled the Wall was illegal.

• Talkback
      September 21, 2013, 12:45 am

fnlevit says: “The sharp drop in the number around 2006 is the result of the construction of the barrier.”

Shin Bet doesn’t agree with your Hasbara nonsense:
      “The main reason for the sharp decline is the truce in the territories, the security service said Sunday. … The security fence is no longer mentioned as the major factor in preventing suicide bombings, mainly because the terrorists have found ways to bypass it. ”
      link to haaretz.com

Finding holes in West Bank barrier
      link to news.bbc.co.uk

• eljay
      September 21, 2013, 9:23 am

>> Its contruction was the direct result of one of the worst crimes of the modern history – the suicide bombings of CIVILIAN TARGETS.

Any type of bombing of civilian targets is a terrible and immoral crime. The Palestinians are guilty of it. Zio-supremacist Jews are guilty of it. The supremacist “Jewish State” of Israel is guilty of it.

I believe that any and all guilty parties must be held accountable. I have no doubt you completely agree with this sentiment.

That said, your hyperbole is misplaced. What is truly “one of the worst crimes of the modern history” comprises:
      - JEWISH TERRORISM in Palestine;
      - the ETHNIC CLEANSING of Palestinians from their homes and lands;
      - the creation of an OPPRESSIVE, COLONIALIST, EXPANSIONIST and SUPREMACIST “JEWISH STATE” in Palestine;
      - the supremacist “Jewish State’s” 60+ YEARS, ON-GOING AND OFFENSIVE (i.e., not defensive) campaign of AGGRESSION, OPPRESSION, THEFT, COLONIZATION, DESTRUCTION, TORTURE and MURDER.

• amigo
      September 21, 2013, 9:29 am

“Israeli barrier servess an opposite goal – to prevent suicide bombers to cross INSIDE Israel. Its contruction was the direct result of one of the worst crimes of the modern history – the suicide bombings of CIVILIAN TARGETS.”nutty professor levit.

Did you forget about the following crimes against CIVILLIAN TAGETS??.

link to guardian.150m.com

EARLY ZIONIST TERRORIST GANGS.

Soon after the end of World War II, there were three basic para-military Zionist organizations in Palestine, working against the Arab people, with the specific purpose of driving it out of Palestine. These were the Haganah, the Irgun Zvai Leumi and the Stern Gang.

Before the British Mandate, the Jewish settlers had formed a group of mounted armed watchmen called “Hashomar” and with the advent of the British Mandate, it became the Haganah (Defense). With a membership of 60,000 Zionist Jews, the Haganah had a field army of 16,000 trained men and a unit called the Palmach, which was a full-time force, numbering about 6000.

The Irgun Zvai Leumi included between 3000 and 5000 armed terrorists, and grew out of the Haganah and its Palmach branch in 1933. The Irgun was not ready to obey the Jewish Agency which sought to dilute the terror of the Haganah in order not to lose its respectability.

In 1939, one of Irgun’s commanding officers, Abraham Stern, left the parent organization and formed the Stern Gang, numbering some 200 to 300 dangerous fanatics.

SOME EARLY EXAMPLES OF JEWISH-ZIONIST TERROR.

August 20, 1937 – June 29, 1939. During this period, the Zionists carried out a series of attacks against Arab buses, resulting in the death of 24 persons and wounding 25 others.

November 25, 1940. S.S.Patria was blown up by Jewish terrorists in Haifa harbour, killing 268 illegal Jewish immigrants (see below).

November 6, 1944. Zionist terrorists of the Stern Gang assassinated the British Minister Resident in the Middle East, Lord Moyne, in Cairo.

July 22, 1946. Zionist terrorists blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, which housed the central offices of the civilian administration of the government of Palestine, killing or injuring more than 200 persons. The Irgun officially claimed responsibility for the incident, but subsequent evidence indicated that both the Haganah and the Jewish Agency were involved.

October 1, 1946. The British Embassy in Rome was badly damaged by bomb explosions, for which Irgun claimed responsibility.

June 1947. Letters sent to British Cabinet Ministers were found to contain bombs.

September 3, 1947. A postal bomb addressed to the British War Office exploded in the post office sorting room in London, injuring 2 persons. It was attributed to Irgun or Stern Gangs. (The Sunday Times, Sept. 24, 1972, p.8)

December 11, 1947. Six Arabs were killed and 30 wounded when bombs were thrown from Jewish trucks at Arab buses in Haifa; 12 Arabs were killed and others injured in an attack by armed Zionists on an Arab coastal village near Haifa.

December 13,1947. Zionist terrorists, believed to be members of Irgun Zvai Leumi, killed 18 Arabs and wounded nearly 60 in Jerusalem, Jaffa and Lydda areas. In Jerusalem, bombs were thrown in an Arab market-place near the Damascus Gate; in Jaffa, bombs were thrown into an Arab cafe; in the Arab village of Al Abbasya, near Lydda, 12 Arabs were killed in an attack with mortars and automatic weapons.

December 19, 1947. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blowing up two houses, in the ruins of which were found the bodies of 10 Arabs, including 5 children. Haganah admitted responsibility for the attack.

December 29, 1947. Two British constables and 11 Arabs were killed and 32 Arabs injured, at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem when Irgun members threw a bomb from a taxi.

December 30,1947. A mixed force of the Zionist Palmach and the “Carmel Brigade” attacked the village of Balad al Sheikh, killing more than 60 Arabs.

1947 — 1948. Over 700,000 Palestinian Arabs were uprooted from their homes and land, and forced to live in refugee camps on Israel’s borders. They have been denied the right to return to their homes. They have been refused compensation for their homes, orchards, farms and other property stolen from them by the Israeli government. After their expulsion, the “Israeli Forces” totally obliterated (usually by bulldozing) 385 Arab villages and towns, out of a total of 475. Commonly, Israeli villages were built on the remaining rubble.

January 1, 1948. Haganah terrorists attacked a village on the slopes of Mount Carmel; 17 Arabs were killed and 33 wounded.

January 4, 1948. Haganah terrorists wearing British Army uniforms penetrated into the center of Jaffa and blew up the Serai (the old Turkish Government House) which was used as a headquarters of the Arab National Committee, killing more than 40 persons and wounding 98 others.

January 5, 1948. The Arab-owned Semiramis Hotel in Jerusalem was blown up, killing 20 persons, among them Viscount de Tapia, the Spanish Consul. Haganah admitted responsibility for this crime.

January 7, 1948. Seventeen Arabs were killed by a bomb at the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem, 3 of them while trying to escape. Further casualties, including the murder of a British officer near Hebron, were reported from different parts of the country.

January 16, 1948. Zionists blew up three Arab buildings. In the first, 8 children between the ages of 18 months and 12 years, died.

December 13, 1947 — February 10, 1948. Seven incidents of bomb-tossing at innocent Arab civilians in cafes and markets, killing 138 and wounding 271 others, During this period, there were 9 attacks on Arab buses. Zionists mined passenger trains on at least 4 occasions, killing 93 persons and wounding 161 others.

February 15, 1948. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blew up several houses, killing 11 Arabs, including 4 children..

March 3, 1948. Heavy damage was done to the Arab-owned Salam building in Haifa (a 7 story block of apartments and shops) by Zionists who drove an army lorry ( truck) up to the building and escaped before the detonation of 400 Ib. of explosives; casualties numbered 11 Arabs and 3 Armenians killed and 23 injured. The Stern Gang claimed responsibility for the incident.

March 22, 1948. A housing block in Iraq Street in Haifa was blown up killing 17 and injuring 100 others. Four members of the Stern Gang drove two truck-loads of explosives into the street and abandoned the vehicles before the explosion.

March 31, 1948. The Cairo-Haifa Express was mined, for the second time in a month, by an electronically-detonated land mine near Benyamina, killing 40 persons and wounding 60 others.

April 9, 1948. A combined force of Irgun Zvai Leumi and the Stern Gang, supported by the Palmach forces, captured the Arab village of Deir Yassin and killed more than 200 unarmed civilians, including countless women and children. Older men and young women were captured and paraded in chains in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem; 20 of the hostages were then shot in the quarry of Gevaat Shaul.

April 16, 1948. Zionists attacked the former British army camp at Tel Litvinsky, killing 90 Arabs there.

April 19, 1948. Fourteen Arabs were killed in a house in Tiberias, which was blown up by Zionist terrorists.

May 3, 1948. A book bomb addressed to a British Army officer, who had been stationed in Palestine exploded, killing his brother, Rex Farran.

May11, 1948. A letter bomb addressed to Sir Evelyn Barker, former Commanding Officer in Palestine, was detected in the nick of time by his wife.

April 25, 1948 — May 13, 1948. Wholesale looting of Jaffa was carried out following armed attacks by Irgun and Haganah terrorists. They stripped and carried away everything they could, destroying what they could not take with them.

THE SS PATRIA.

November 25, 1940. In September, 1940, around 3,000 Jewish refugees from Vienna, Prague and Danzig were attempting to reach Palestine. In a convoy of four river steamers, they set sail down the Danube and reached the Romanian port of Tulcea where they transferred to three Greek cargo ships named Atlantic, Pacific and Milos. Conditions on board these three ships were horrendous, reminiscent of Japanese hell-ships later in the war. Eventually the ships reached Palestinian waters, but the British Colonial Office refused them permission to land. It was finally decided to deport the refugees to the island of Mauritius where a special camp was to be built. The three ships were then brought into Haifa harbour where the liner Patria was berthed. The refugees were then embarked on the Patria and as the last passengers from the Atlantic were coming on board, a tremendous explosion ripped the liner apart. The death toll amounted to 267 refugees killed. The explosion was the work of the Jewish underground army, the Haganah, who had meant only to damage the ship to prevent it sailing but had miscalculated the amount of explosives needed to disable the ship. Many say that this was no miscalculation and was deliberate murder of Jews by Jews, in an attempt to influence British immigration policy to Palestine.

A LIGHT UNTO THE NATIONS.

The first act of air piracy in the history of civil aviation was carried out by Israel, in Dec. 1954, when a civilian Syrian airliner was forced down in Tel Aviv and its passengers and crew held for days, despite international condemnation.

In 1968, Israeli commandos blew up 13 civilian airliners at Beirut airport in Lebanon.

The first deliberate shooting down a civilian airliner was carried out by Israel, when a Libyan airliner was shot down by Israeli jet fighters over Sinai, in Feb. 1973, on the direct orders of Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir, killing all 107 of its passengers and the entire French crew.

• RoHa
        September 21, 2013, 11:26 pm

17 September 1948 – Stern Gang assassinated U.N. Mediator Folke Bernadotte, Greve af Wisborg.
        (Bernadotte was the negotiator for the White Buses project which rescued people from Nazi concentration camps. Many of the people rescued were Jews.)

• Shingo
          September 22, 2013, 12:40 am

Many of the people rescued were Jews

And they still accused him of not caring about Jews or being an anti semite

• Woody Tanaka
      September 21, 2013, 10:37 am

” Its contruction was the direct result of one of the worst crimes of the modern history – the suicide bombings of CIVILIAN TARGETS.”

Gee, I wonder how many of these so-called “civilian targets” were part of the zionist terror forces who’ve oppressed the Palestinians since 1947? I wonder how many of them voted for parties whose entire reason for being seems to be nothing but the continued death and destruction of Palestine and the murder of its people. I wonder how many of them were the ones that pulled the triggers, gave the orders, or pressed the button to kill all the innocent Palestinians who’ve been killed and oppressed for generations.

• ziusudra
      September 22, 2013, 4:53 am

Greetings full-of-it,
      (the Wall stopped) …. one of the worst crimes in history……..
      You don’t say?
      Recent history:
      Japan,
      No.Vietnam,
      Vietnam,
      Cambodia,
      Cuba,
      Irak,
      Afgan.,
      Iran,
      Egypt,
      Libya
      etc. Sanctioned or suppressed by the west!
      ziusudra

20. Hostage
    September 20, 2013, 3:50 pm

Oh please, you Israelis went right to work violating the requirement under the terms of the Declaration of Principles to treat the West Bank and Gaza as one area for political, economic, legal and other purposes. It’s a matter of public record that Israel was already constructing a fence around Gaza in the mid-90s long before there were any suicide bombings.