On ‘Birthright,’ a checkpoint is called a tollbooth, and Jews have E-ZPass

US Politics

We write this op-ed as Jewish students who went on Taglit-Birthright. In sharing some of our experiences we hope other students may begin to question Birthright. Birthright exposed us to the facts on the ground in Israel/Palestine and forced us to confront and reject the Zionist ideologies we grew up with. It showed us that Israel is doing the exact opposite of what our Jewish values teach us. Birthright led us to stand in solidarity with Palestine.

Julia’s Experience (Summer 2012):

“Tzedek, Tzedek, Tirdof: Justice Justice, you shall pursue” were the words I was taught to live by growing up as a Jewish-American. I was also taught I had a “Birthright” to Israel–that I should connect to, travel to, and even live there, simply because I am Jewish. My Birthright trip and the two months I spent in Israel/Palestine after transformed me into the anti-Zionist Jewish woman I am today. Somehow I saw through Birthright’s propaganda and learned to apply my Jewish values to all people, especially those oppressed in my name. If I had not gone on Birthright, I do not know if I would be in Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) and Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP). However, knowing all that I do now, I would never have made the decision to participate in Birthright in the first place.

During my Birthright trip we stayed in a settlement. When I asked about it, I was told that it was not a settlement, because under Israeli law the settlement was legal, and the word settlement implies illegality. In reality, any settlement in the West Bank is illegal under international law. To get to Jerusalem from the illegal settlement, we had to pass through a checkpoint. We were told it was a tollbooth. When I asked why we did not pay the toll, I was told we had an E-ZPass. We did in fact have an E-ZPass, but not like the one we have on cars in Boston. Instead, it was our Jewish privilege, embodied by the Taglit-Birthright sign on the front of our bus. As Jewish tourists, we passed right through the checkpoint, while Palestinians attempting to cross it to get to work or the hospital were stuck in hours long queues. In five years, sixty-seven Palestinian babies were born at checkpoints. Thirty-six of them died. That doesn’t happen at toll booths.

Bedouin tent experience on Birthright

Bedouin tent experience on Birthright

The only experience we had with Palestinians on my Birthright trip was visiting the fake Bedouin tent in the Negev. We sat under the stars, ate on the floor, and rode camels. These Bedouin tents are an exploitative part of the Israeli tourism industry, attempting to create a utopian view of Bedouin life in Israel. When I extended my trip, I visited an actual Bedouin village, unrecognized under Israeli law. This means Bedouin in these villages cannot get permits to fix their rundown homes and that the whole village could be demolished at the drop of a hat by the Israeli government. Most Bedouin, including the laborers at the fake Bedouin tents, live in unrecognized villages.

The mission of Taglit-Birthright is to “create solidarity with Israel” through a free 10-day trip. Instead, Birthright made me into a Palestine solidarity activist. I saw a small sample of the violence enacted by Israel in my name as a Jew and I knew I could not stand idly by any longer. I had to extend the pursuit of justice that Judaism taught me to the Palestinian people. Occupation and apartheid are not my Jewish values. When I stand in solidarity with Palestinians, I am doing exactly what Judaism teaches me to do–to seek justice and stand with the oppressed.

Chase’s Experience (Winter 2014):

Going on Birthright always seemed like it was a given–why wouldn’t I take a free trip to Israel, a land that is supposed to mean so much to me as a Jew? The last few years, and particularly last summer during Operation Protective Edge, I began to question the relationship between my Jewish identity and Israel. I found that Israel’s behavior–their military occupation of Palestine and discriminatory laws against minorities–was in opposition to my Jewish and human values. I learned more about Birthright’s funding: Sheldon Adelson, a strong financial supporter of Republican ultraconservatives, is also the largest single benefactor of Taglit-Birthright. I became skeptical, and even opposed to the whole premise–that as a Jew I have a right to visit Israel/Palestine, while Palestinians are not only denied the same opportunity, but also have restrictions on their travel to and within Israel/Palestine. Knowing I was not the only one with reservations, I found numerous testimonials about the trip, including those offered in Birthright? A Primer. In spite of my serious doubts, I felt that in order to have a more fully informed opinion, I needed to “see it for myself.” My decision, however, came with one condition: I would extend my stay and travel in the occupied West Bank.

My childhood friends who had gone on Birthright all returned no more educated about the issues, but certainly more fervent in their support for Israel. My experience was different. I expected to feel alienated by the organizers, but instead they expressed support and appreciation for my contrasting opinions. Additionally, we went to a peace center to talk to an Israeli anti-war activist, Lydia, and a Palestinian lawyer living in Israel, Amir. There, we learned in-depth about how Lydia’s experiences of anti-Semitism as a child in Wales led her to fight racism and injustice in Israel/Palestine, and about Amir’s life as an oppressed minority in Israel. However, this all-expenses-paid trip was not without serious problems.

While our conversation with Amir at the peace center was very educational, our organizers seemed to not give him the credibility he deserved. They recognized not believing his claims about discriminatory Israeli laws as much as if he were an Israeli Jew. After looking up the laws in question, I found that his statements were entirely true. Later, in Sderot, a city about a half-mile from Gaza, we were taken to a bunker that doubled as a children’s playground. We were shown an incredibly disturbing video that attempted to demonstrate, using graphic imagery and incendiary text, what life is like in a city vulnerable to homemade rocket attacks from Gaza. Instead, it expressed numerous anti-Arab sentiments, completely removing any context from the attacks. This video was never discussed after its presentation.

Perhaps the most absurd part of the tour was the Mega Event. I was caught completely off-guard by the spectacle of it all. Walking in felt like entering a beaming, boisterous rave–albeit one that was highly organized, with metal detectors and security at every turn. Large plumes of theatrical fog ushered in Prime Minister Netanyahu, who just arrived from France after the Charlie Hebdo and Kosher market attacks. Netanyahu pressed that it was not safe for Jews to live anywhere outside of Israel, hammering in to “Make Aliyah! Make Aliyah!” While I felt this attitude completely delegitimized my Jewish experience in the diaspora, most of the other three-thousand Birthright participants applauded his statements. I suppose it is not surprising I was the only one to boo him.

Even in the best case scenario, Taglit-Birthright is an fundamentally problematic program attempting to conflate Judaism and Zionism. It would be hypocritical for us to tell you not to go on Birthright, but we urge you to think long and hard about it. Before making any decision, you must understand that engaging with Birthright is an inherently political choice. Please recognize the pain Palestinian students on campus feel when they see a Birthright advertisement. Remember that Palestinians cannot return to their homes, but that you, as a Jew, have a constructed “right” to go to that same land. Birthright is only possible because of Israel’s violence toward the Palestinian people.

Just as your support for or critique of Israel is not related to your Jewishness, going on Birthright is not an essential Jewish rite of passage. Our Jewish values are what led us to SJP and JVP. If you go on Birthright, we hope that you will have a transformative experience and learn to honor your Jewish values and the legacy of your ancestors by standing against oppression enacted in your name.

An earlier version of this piece appeared in the Tufts Daily.

About Julia Wedgle and Chase Carter

Julia Wedgle is a senior at Tufts University studying Peace and Justice Studies and Community Health. She can be reached at [email protected] Chase Carter is a senior at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts and Tufts University concentrating in socially-engaged artwork. His senior thesis takes on issues related to Jewish identity and Zionism. He can be reached at [email protected] They are both members of Tufts Students for Justice in Palestine and Jewish Voice for Peace Boston.

1. seafoid
    March 8, 2015, 3:13 pm

Big rally in TA today with tens of thousands rallying against Milikovsky and the apartheid word getting several runouts. Birthright may be blindsided this year.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      March 8, 2015, 4:02 pm

Meh. It’s just libzios fretting about the ‘soul’ of Israel.

How many of these people demonstrated during the Gaza massacre?

2. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    March 8, 2015, 4:01 pm

• Giles
      March 8, 2015, 5:03 pm

Zionism in a nutshell.

• can of worms
      March 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

“Operation Brother’s Keeper”

• Walid
        March 9, 2015, 12:56 am

““Could there be anything more horribly ironic than giving the name ”Birthright”?”

“Peace for Galilee”, in which Israel killed about 25,000 Lebanese. “Grapes of Wrath”, “Cast Lead”and other stupid names for a stupid people to keep it mesmerized by the Zionist enterprise.

• Kay24
        March 9, 2015, 1:25 am

Walid, it is yet another attempt to hoodwink the rest of the world, when such titles are given.
        I mean, who the heck thought Operation Pillar of Defense , had anything to do with pillars , and it was far from “defense”, it was a horrible massacre of civilians, mostly women and children, and we all did see the pictures of civilians being blown apart in Gaza last year. The zionists who go along with this charade obviously knows that a well armed, military occupier, does not need to defend itself from the unarmed occupied people it wields power over. But the stupid names the zionists keep coming up with, is obviously part of deceiving those who may criticize.

3. yonah fredman
    March 8, 2015, 5:19 pm

The Hebrew name of Birthright- taglit, which means discovery, is certainly less ideological than the freighted term “birthright”.

• echinococcus
      March 8, 2015, 7:57 pm

And even less ideological is the fact that this “Discovery” shows a land with no traces of the Zionist invasion and rape, checkpoints are tollbooths, Ayrabs are target practice… What do these kids get to discover apart from the hot bodies of soldiers? Not ideological at all, nossiree.

• seafoid
      March 9, 2015, 12:21 am

Very few of the target audience speak Hebrew. Birthright is the brand for them.
      It is highly ideological. Bedouin tents for a bit of colonial glamour. Israeli high tech of course. The invisible subject people. And of course Fuckright.

• ziusudra
        March 9, 2015, 3:45 am

Greetings seafoid,
        Nobody spoke Hebrew outside of the Liturgy till 1922AD when it was finally brought up to date by one Israeli, a laudable feat using Egyptain & Aramaic to do it, w/o them, old Hebrew dialect would not have been usable today.
        The Hebrew dialect of Canaanite died out in 200BC where no one spoke it in Europe or the Levant surviving only in the liturgical texts.
        ziusudra
        PS Let’s not fret, w/o old Anglo-Saxon dialects of 500AD & old Viking French, we wouldn’t have English today.

March 9, 2015, 10:48 am

Gilad Atzmon just said one the best things he ever said! On an e-mail announcing his gig: “Persian Jazz”

“I found out yesterday that setar virtuoso Mehdi Rostami is staying in Britain for a few more days and decided immediately to invite him together with Kamancheh soloist Abid Rostami to guest with the OHE’s Pizza Express album Launch on Thursday 12ve” says Gilad, and finishes with:

“This is obviously my best possible answer to Benjamin Netanyahu’s Congress Address. He wants war, I prefer to jam.”

A perfect example of refining the rhetoric.

March 9, 2015, 12:24 pm

Sorry, just a tangent, but I enjoyed it. The Pizza House is, I think, Atzmon’s more-or-less regular gig, and the Birmingham concert the one which got banned.

• ziusudra
      March 9, 2015, 3:34 am

Greetings yonah fredman,
      Out of Israel Jews go on a Taglit becoming Taglitim. Oy, Isn’t that profitable?
      The Vikings would go on a Vik, a Raid becoming the Vikings.
      Oy, wasn’t that profitable?
      ziusudra
      PS psst yonah,how does one combine Aliya – Taglit in Hebrew?

4. Bornajoo
    March 8, 2015, 5:29 pm

“Could there be anything more horribly ironic than giving the name ”Birthright” to an organisation which indoctrinates children to believe that they have more of a ‘birthright’ to live in a country on another continent than the racially superfluous children who were actually born there?”

Let me think… Nope. Can’t think of anything more horribly ironic. Other words like sick and disgusting also come to mind

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      March 8, 2015, 7:51 pm

Birthwrong.

• seafoid
        March 9, 2015, 11:11 am

Fuckright. The essence of Zionism.

March 9, 2015, 12:27 pm

“Fuckright. The essence of Zionism.”

Actually, I was thrilled when I first heard about it! “Finally” I thought, “a eugenics experiment I can participate in, instead of being rejected from!” That was before I knew all the details.

5. John Douglas
    March 8, 2015, 7:50 pm

I admire the minds and the courage of Julia and Chase. Whether they choose to be Americans or Israelis is entirely their decision. They are neither “by nature”. But I’m so happy they seem to have chosen to stay. The values they exhibit are the very ones we so badly need more of in the US.

6. Helena Cobban
    March 8, 2015, 8:38 pm

Great piece by Julia and Chase! I’d never seen this thing about them reframing checkpoints as “tollbooths” before… And Jewish privilege as the ultimate “EZ Pass”– Yes, indeed!

7. James North
    March 8, 2015, 10:56 pm

This is a terrific article.

8. W.Jones
    March 8, 2015, 10:58 pm

Of course it was a tollbooth!

9. Kay24
    March 8, 2015, 11:20 pm

“Please recognize the pain Palestinian students on campus feel when they see a Birthright advertisement. Remember that Palestinians cannot return to their homes, but that you, as a Jew, have a constructed “right” to go to that same land. Birthright is only possible because of Israel’s violence toward the Palestinian people.”

Very well said. This cannot be disputed, nor can what is going on, be justified. You cannot claim any birthright trampling on rights of others, who have every right to be there too, and can be argued, before the new generation of “birthright” Jews. Great article.

10. concernedhuman
    March 9, 2015, 5:15 am

It was an eye opening birthright trip.

And there is no human right abuse?
    Imagine Michelle Obama giving birth to Sasha at checkpoint.

• seafoid
      March 9, 2015, 4:20 pm

Imagine Jews forced to give birth at checkpoints outside Paris. You’d never hear the end of it.

11. eljay
    March 9, 2015, 10:37 am

Kudos to Julia Wedgle and Chase Carter for making the moral decision not to accept, justify, excuse, uphold or enforce supremacism simply because it happens to be Jewish supremacism.

March 10, 2015, 11:21 am

There’s also another way to make it, on a completely selfish, tribal and self-serving basis: Equality benefits the Jews, and the individual Jew a lot better than “supremacy” does. We are more secure, more accepted in our differences, more accepted as individuals and as a religious, cultural and social community, wealthier (if that matters to you) and more able to be our bad Jewish selves (whatever form we determine that should take) in a system where we are afforded equality instead of a supremacist position, and religion is a private matter.

• eljay
        March 10, 2015, 11:34 am

|| Mooser: Of course, the decision could be made on a moral basis, and that is a fine way to make it. There’s also another way to make it, on a completely selfish, tribal and self-serving basis: Equality benefits the Jews, and the individual Jew a lot better than “supremacy” does. ||

Good point. But…doesn’t making the decision that way mean that it’s being made because it’s “good for the Jews” rather than because it’s the moral thing to do? ;-)

Kidding aside, IMO one’s the journey to matters less than one’s arrival at the conclusion that the universal and consistent pursuit of justice, accountability and equality is more important than the pursuit of supremacism.

March 10, 2015, 4:13 pm

“Good point. But…doesn’t making the decision that way mean that it’s being made because it’s “good for the Jews”

• eljay
        March 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

|| Mooser: Because it’s good for everybody it is extended to. If it’s good for the Jews, too I can’t help that. ||

As Kent Brockman so eloquently put it: “Well, touché!”

12. concernedhuman
    March 9, 2015, 11:26 am

​Gaza off limits: Foreign Office blocks Scottish minister’s aid visit.

A Scottish minister has accused the British government of blocking his fact-finding mission to Gaza after the UK Foreign Office withdrew its support for the trip.

Definitely UK got a signal from White House to block the move.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      March 9, 2015, 12:33 pm

I doubt a call from the WH was neccessary.

The UK has a very active and powerful Israel lobby all of its very own.

• lysias
      March 9, 2015, 12:38 pm

Current polling indicates that the Scottish National Party will get some 50 seats in Westminster at the imminent election (picking up over 40 seats). Will a British government after that election dare to do that again to a Scottish minister?

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        March 9, 2015, 12:54 pm

• lysias
        March 9, 2015, 2:32 pm

The SNP may well hold the balance of power in Westminster after the election (the way the Irish Nationalists did after each of the two elections in 1910).

• seafoid
        March 9, 2015, 4:21 pm

It could be the Libdems., the SNP, UKIP or the DUP the way things are going

13. Real Jew
    March 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Jews do have an easy pass in Israel…compared to Palestinians anyway.

These 2 bright young jews, who were taught from childhood that israel was just, formed an oppossing view without a tremendous amount of research and a little insight. That being said it makes me question the convictions of many other supporters of israel. In other words, if these kids can see through the hasbara then why arent more jews doing the same? I suspect its for reasons other then genuine support. Maybe they feel obligated to support israel. Maybe its good for business. Maybe they dont want to upset their family and/or community. Whatever the case is, its more crucial now then ever to provide sspace in the lives of others to make it ok to have critical views of Israel.

14. jon s
    March 9, 2015, 5:58 pm

A few points:

Calling the terrorist rockets “homemade ” makes it look like they’re harmless. In fact, those rockets are lethal. And they are “homemade” only if your home is in a rocket manufacturing factory in Iran or in Gaza.

March 9, 2015, 6:58 pm

“Jons” I will never follow you through the “no leash” area. You just gotta step in every steaming pile.

Okay, “jon s” I concede every single point you make. Now, would you like to tell us how these students came back with a completely erroneous picture of Israel, a picture not only false but patently malicious?

Really, “Jon s” how could that happen? How could the picture presented by these students be so at odds with reality? (Feel free to quote from Hophmi’s essay “The Phils will Fall Away”)

March 9, 2015, 7:14 pm

“Occupation and apartheid are not my Jewish values.”

“I found that Israel’s behavior–their military occupation of Palestine and discriminatory laws against minorities–was in opposition to my Jewish and human values.”

Would you like to explain where these two students have erred in their theology, “Jon s”? Or would you advise them to simply become secular Zionists, so it doesn’t outrage their Jewish values?

(BTW, love that bit about ” info is outdated” “Outdated”? You mean the number of babies born at checkpoints in the years 2000-2005 has gone down since then? Or some that have died have…., oh never mind. Or hasn’t been added to since then?)

• eljay
        March 9, 2015, 9:12 pm

|| jon s: A few points: … ||

The rapist’s victim is chained in a basement, not a “bunker”. It’s not a “dismal” place – it has a TV and nice wallpaper. And, yes, the victim has been repeatedly sodomized, but that was, like, six months ago.

So that makes everything better.

Jeezus…

• seafoid
        March 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

the Bedouin tent is fake. So is Israel.

and it wears you out

she looks like the real thing
        She tastes like the real thing
        my fake plastic Zion

• a blah chick
      March 9, 2015, 10:09 pm

“Sure, the Bedouin tent is fake, it’s a tourist attraction. Just as fake as “Colonial Williamsburg” in Virginia or “Mystic Seaport ” in Connecticut.”

True but Williamsburg is not trying to recruit people for their army, nor is Mystic trying to get people to illegally settle on their outskirts.

March 10, 2015, 11:07 am

“nor is Mystic trying to get people to illegally settle on their outskirts.”

I’ve been to Mystic seaport. I don’t remember anything about starting up unlimited whaling again.

How dumb does “Jon s” think we are? I guess he can only estimate that by consulting his own intelligence. And that’s the most complimentary explanation I can think of.

• seafoid
      March 10, 2015, 3:00 pm

” In five years, sixty-seven Palestinian babies were born at checkpoints… ” the five years in question were 2000-2005. I’m not trying to justify such a horror, just pointing out that the info is out-dated. ”

Jesus Christ ,I mean the holocaust was 70 years ago now. I’m not trying to justify it, just saying it was a long time ago.

March 11, 2015, 3:30 pm

Gee, “Jon s” never did come back and tell us what those “few points” added up to.

• jon s
        March 11, 2015, 4:56 pm

I would be interested to know if anyone has more recent information on the number of Palestinian babies born at checkpoints. Let’s say over the last 3-5 years.

• seafoid
        March 11, 2015, 5:32 pm

36 babies died at checkpoints during the period.
        Lots of Palestinian mothers won’t risk going to hospital given the situation and choose a home birth whichnis not suitable in case of complications. Pre natal care for non jewish mothers is not a priority of the occupation authorities. So far more Palestinian babies die on the Palestinian side of the green line. But who cares about Untermenschen in erez israel hashlemah jon ?

15. seafoid
    March 11, 2015, 5:33 pm

36 babies died at checkpoints during the period.

16. seafoid
    March 12, 2015, 5:39 am

Israeli maternal mortality latest stats 7 per 100k
    Palestinian 36 and underreported. Haemhorrage one of the biggest causes along with Zionist cruelty and inhumanity.
    Of Palestinian babies who die in infancy most die within a few days of birth because hospitals can only be guaranteed to jews.
    It is easier than cutting their heads off ala Lieberman. An amoral judaism serves no purpose whatsoever.
    Birthright is a sick joke.

• Walid
      March 12, 2015, 7:10 am

seafoid, what do you think about Greece taking a page out of the Zionist S.O.P. manual and claiming 120 billion Euros in war reparations from Germany for what happened in WW I? If Israel can do it and keep on doing it with impunity year after year, why can’t Greece?

• seafoid
        March 12, 2015, 9:33 am

It’s just a negotiating tack. Germans don’t feel guilty about Greece- they hate it.

• jon s
      March 12, 2015, 4:53 pm

seafoid, thanks for those links.
      This is from the first:

19. The infant mortality rate is showing an overall decline over the past decade from 35 per 1000 in 1999 to 25 per 1000 in 2009.21 The main causes of death among infants are pneumonia and other respiratory disorders (34.5%), congenital malformations (16.3%) followed by prematurity and low birth weight (13.4%).22 20. Infant mortality rates in the occupied Palestinian territory have decreased slowly over the last two decades, but also show a growing gap between the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, indicating that health determinants and health care are not sufficiently developed to achieve the expected progress in reduction of child mortality and improvement of maternal health. The infant mortality rate declined from 25.5 per 1000 live births in 2000 to 20.6 per 1000 live births in 2010 (18.8 in the West Bank and 23.0 in the Gaza Strip). Similarly, the under-five mortality rate declined from 28.7 per 1000 live births in 2000 to 25.1 per 1000 live births in 2010 but with a wide gap between regions (22.1 in the West Bank and 29.2 in the Gaza Strip). Conditions originating in the perinatal period are the leading cause of under-five mortality in the West Bank, at 50.8%.23 The infant and child mortality rates could be substantially reduced by efforts towards improving the quality of perinatal care.

• seafoid
        March 12, 2015, 5:18 pm

Why are the rates 3x Jewish rates, Jon? In Erez Israel Hashlemah, isn’t this outrageous ?

17. jon s
    March 12, 2015, 5:01 pm

As to seafoid’s claim that “hospitals can only be guaranteed to jews”, this is from the link he provided:

. There are 76 hospitals in the occupied Palestinian territory (51 in the West Bank, 25 in the Gaza Strip), with a total of 5108 beds in hospitals (including government, nonprofit and private hospitals). Almost three quarters of them are general beds, 16.0% specialized beds, 3.3% beds for rehabilitation and 6.18% maternity beds. Overall, there are 12.6 beds per 10 000 population (12.2 beds in the West Bank and 13.3 beds in the Gaza Strip).16 14. The Ministry of Health, with the support of donors, has continued to develop the scope and range of public health services in the West Bank. The hospital sector in particular has benefited from significant investment in infrastructure and equipment with several hospitals being rehabilitated and services developed. The Ministry of Health has also sought to strengthen its institutional and governance capacity, not least by further efforts to improve the planning process. However, the Palestinian health-care system continues to face many challenges, including restriction of movement and access to health services. Access to east Jerusalem, where the main tertiary health services are provided, is subject to special permits. Administrative restrictions also have an impact on the provision of health care in rural areas classified as “Area C” under the Oslo Accords.

• seafoid
      March 12, 2015, 5:14 pm

Jon

checkpoints

It doesn’t matter how many hospitals are in the West Bank if Jews prevent Palestinians from accessing them.

Access to east Jerusalem, where the main tertiary health services are provided, is subject to special permits. Administrative restrictions also have an impact on the provision of health care in rural areas classified as “Area C” under the Oslo Accords ”

Don’t you understand English ? Palestinians cannot be guaranteed access to hospital. That is what I said initially.

That’s why mothers give birth at checkpoints. Do you think it’s by choice ?
      The occupation is about micromanagement of Palestinian lives by Jewish bureaucracy. It’s about reminding Palestinians that Jews control lie in Erez Israel.

And in Erez Israel why aren’t Palestinian
      and Jewish maternal mortality and infant mortality rates equal?

That’s what people like you are incapable of seeing. The cost of Zionism is paid by Palestinian infants and mothers, so your miserable shithole of a state can continue the status quo.

50% of Palestinians under 2 are deficient in minerals. What a success for Jewish nationalism that is. You must be so proud of your soldiers and policemen.

• just
        March 12, 2015, 5:29 pm

Thanks, seafoid. jon s seems to want to convince you that the truth is a lie.

I just wondered if he was aware of the destruction of the health facilities in Gaza~ from ambulances to rehab hospitals, to clinics, to regular hospitals, to health care providers, to emergency and life sustaining medical supplies/ medicines~ this past summer. And thanks to Israel, it remains an utter disaster.

March 13, 2015, 1:56 am

I am completely perplexed, completely unable to figure out what “Jon s” is trying to do. Does he think he can transfer his sense of entitlement to us over the internet, and once we see how much fun it is to feel that way, we will understand?
        Who knows?

18. jon s
    March 13, 2015, 3:46 am

Seafoid, Just,

I think we can agree that it’s good to see that infant mortality has declined. Also the horrible incidents of checkpoint births.
    Of course, a lot more can be done: on the Israeli side by reducing and streamlining the administrative restrictions. On the Palestinian side, it would be nice to see a serious effort to reduce smoking. (see the causes of death.)
    Clearly it’s not true that “hospitals can only be guaranteed to jews”, as seafoid stated.

As to the medical facilities in Gaza: of course they should be immune from military attack, same as schools and mosques. However if they are used by the Hamas terrorists for military purposes, they lose their immunity.

• seafoid
      March 13, 2015, 4:39 am

Jon

Palestinian stats on maternal mortality and infant mortality are underreported. I wonder how many babies died while your boys and girls were pounding Gaza last year.

“However if they are used by the Hamas terrorists for military purposes, they lose their immunity.”

That’s the kind of attitude that ups the death rate in labour.
      You have zero coherence. Must be the Hebrew.

How many dead babies were terrorists? How many birth canals were used to store weapons?

Prove that everyone who needs it gets access to a hospital at all times otherwise withdraw the assertion that “Clearly it’s not true that “hospitals can only be guaranteed to jews”

Obviously a really touchy point with you- that is the whole point of the checkpoints. Rights for Jews that Untermenschen can’t have.

So I’ll say it again. Hospital access can only be guaranteed to Jews in Erez Israel hashlemah.

If a pregnant woman in the WB needs to get to East Jerusalem once her waters break and she doesn’t have a permit what happens ?

You can’t come to terms with the awfulness of the system you are part of.
      Such a sick ideology

would you go to universities in the US to justify the checkpoint policy and the effect it has on the most vulnerable in Palestinian society? Of course not. It’s far too disturbing to defend. Jews couldn’t possibly do something like that.

‘In the corner there is light
      That is good for you
      And behind you, I have warned you
      There are awful things’