The dark side of Jewish consciousness: manufactured anti-Semitism

Middle East

I dedicate this essay to Hajo Meyer (1924-2014) anti-Zionist, political activist, Auschwitz survivor and hero in the struggle for Palestinian freedom. His words continue to inform me and his actions comfort my sorrow.

“An anti-Semite used to be a person who disliked Jews. I am not anti-Jew. I am anti-Zionist”
“Zionism has nothing to do with Judaism. “

Zionism has always equated any criticism with anti-Semitism, delegitimization or worse. It serves as propaganda to maintain the illusion of Jews as “victims.” Ultra Nationalists who believe in their moral superiority create political terror in order to silence and deny.

Who could imagine in 1945 following the defeat of Nazi Germany, there would be within a few short years a bizarre escalation, a toxic spread of anti-Semitism inflamed in part by a country with two faces. One face claims to be “the only Democracy in the Middle East” while the other face engages in an agenda embracing a genocidal occupation that spans across three generations of Palestinian children born in captivity. This is the face of Zionism with its dream of a Jewish State for Jews only, “Palestinians not allowed.” There is an alter ego where truth breaks through all forms of denial. A painful truth that many are still unable to accept as a viable reality. It is the agenda of Israeli Zionism that inflicts the horrors of disenfranchisement and genocide onto an entire population of Palestinians, unwanted, hated and considered “inferior.”

It is impossible for this German Jew to avoid a comparison between Israeli Zionists’ unwillingness to embrace the humanity of Palestinians as human beings like themselves with aspects of the Nazi quest for a racially-pure Germany.

Who would have imagined following the end of World War 2, how once again emotional manipulation akin to domestic terrorism, could successfully create a new culture of fear and hysteria strategically targeting Jews? What is tapped is deeply imbedded hysteria that lives dormant within Jewish consciousness. It is here where fears of annihilation and victimization wait once again to be ignited. Zionist intention is to gather Jews from around the world to support and live in the “Jewish State,” using this powerful message of indoctrination. We have heard it spoken: a Jewish state is the only place on earth where Jews can be safe and no longer victims.

I cannot be this Jew. As a refugee, I identify with the homeless displaced Palestinians, refugees forced to flee from their land and homes to be occupied, destroyed and surrounded by prisons, walls, checkpoints armed soldiers and illegal settlements. Because Zionism in 1948 was founded on a racist ideology of the superiority of “chosen people,” I must raise some obvious questions.

Do Jews who have themselves been victimized, have the moral right to occupy and disenfranchise another people? Why have they learned nothing? More pressing for the moment, how could it happen that anti-Semitism is used to defend the Zionist agenda? There exists deep psychological implications to be explored, studied, written about and discussed openly in order to bring light to an unbearable moral abyss.

We who are Anti-Zionist and not anti-Jewish (and/or) Jewish ourselves must resist dangerous attempts to discredit opposition by promoting a “false” anti-Semitism while attempting to blur the reality of unending racist violence against Palestine and Palestinians. This form of domestic terrorism uses not only Holocaust guilt but lies in order to justify and/or maintain an illegal, brutal occupation. I believe to argue whether anti-Semitism exists or does not exists is a spurious issue lest we fall into a trap and lose our focus. The rise of anti-Semitism is real. There is a part that disturbs me deeply. That is its use to obscure the truth about a violent unhinged regime that has created the Palestinian Nakba. That is not to pretend there is no true anti-Semitism. It is spreading along with Islamophobia. Perhaps Zionism itself is anti-Semitic for it discriminates against Semites and includes Jews themselves. Zionism is not a religion but a political movement. Working for justice and the end of the occupation is not anti-Semitic.

I want to discuss an incident that recently occurred at Bard College, in order to exemplify my previous discussion. “Israel supporter refuses to share Bard stage with Dima Khalidi and cites stereotypes about Jews smelling bad,” published here on Oct 24, 2016.

Hannah Arendt, for whom the Bard Center for Intellectual Inquiry is named, stated that free speech is at the heart of political discourse. She added that only in the freedom of our speaking on the topic for discussion, does the world emerge in its objectivity and visibility from all sides.

Was the organizer of “Real Talk,” Roger Berkowitz not aware he was suppressing free speech and an intellectual exchange when he failed to stand up against the outlandish demand by Kenneth Marcus to not appear together with Dima Khalidi? Why? Someone who supports BDS must be an anti-Semite? Marcus has shown us once again the face of hatred recycled over and over again by propaganda and the racist agenda of Zionism.

What would it have taken for Professor Berkowitz to break the silence, to say “no, this is not acceptable?” What stopped him, fear? The response of wealthy Jewish donors? I am offended at the disgraceful behavior of Kenneth Marcus. This is the antithesis of everything Arendt believed in.

It is ironic and bizarre that Marcus founded the Louis Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law several years ago to combat anti-Semitism. He states he is an advocate for free speech. Disingenuous and dangerous are his assertions that undermine the powerful non-violent BDS movement with cries of anti-Semitism to squelch and destroy. Meant to inflame he compares BDS to the (“pre extermination” Marcus’ words) Nazi boycotts of Jewish stores in the 1930’s, a truly ludicrous comparison used to inflame fear. Kenneth Marcus shows the true face and ugliness of Zionism and in this case, his utter contempt and distortion of Dima Khalidi, a Palestinian-American woman, lawyer and activist for Palestinian human rights. Marcus succeeded to stop all discussion as cries of anti- Semitism were once more recklessly thrown about.

October 24. Lillian Rosengarten. Website: lillianrosengarten.com

About Lillian Rosengarten

Lillian Rosengarten is author of the book “Survival and Conscience: From The Shadow Of Nazi Germany To The Jewish Boat To Gaza."(October 2015, Just World Books) It has been published in German as: “ Ein bewegtes Leben: Von den Schatten Nazi-Deutschlands zum judischen Boot nach Gaza” (Zambon 7/14). Her website is lillianrosengarten.com

1. yourstruly
    October 29, 2016, 12:47 pm

Israel’s occupation of Palestine and brutal treatment of Palestinians – crimes committed on behalf of all Jews, or so Israel’s leaders tell us – is what’s behind any rise in antisemitism. Indeed, once there’s justice for the Palestinian people, look for expressions of antisemitism to fall precipitously.

• CigarGod
      October 31, 2016, 8:23 am

Yes, probably.
      But there will still be inordinate inlfuence in other areas.
      Any non-Jewish writer and artist will talk (in hushed tones) about the advantages of having a Jewish sounding surname.

Of course, my favorite example of inordinate influence is NPR.

• biggerjake
      October 31, 2016, 10:18 am

Once the US stops supporting Israel unconditionally (if that can ever be made to happen) and starts supporting the Palestinians, there will be a lot less anti-Americanism as well.

• Misterioso
      October 31, 2016, 10:59 am

Indeed!

To quote the wise words of renowned Israeli journalist and former member of the Knesset, Uri Avnery:

“Many good people, who feel no hatred at all towards the Jews, but who detest the persecution of the Palestinians, are now called anti-Semites. Thus the sting is taken out of this word, giving it something approaching respectability…. Not only does Israel not protect Jews from anti-Semitism, but quite to the contrary – Israel manufactures and exports [anti-Semitism] around the world.”

2. lyn117
    October 29, 2016, 4:16 pm

I agree that “Marcus has shown us once again the face of hatred recycled over and over again by propaganda and the racist agenda of Zionism.”

I’m not sure Berkowitz was suppressing free speech by caving in. And, I don’t know that the discussion would have been any better with the two of them together, I doubt Marcus is open to intellectual exchange.

I think you might want to clarify the paragraph that begins “We who are Anti-Zionist and not anti-Jewish (and/or) Jewish ourselves must resist dangerous attempts to discredit opposition by promoting a “false” anti-Semitism while attempting to blur the reality of unending racist violence against Palestine and Palestinians”

I think you mean “discredit the pro-Palestinian rights movement” or something like that, as worded it sounds like “We who are Anti-Zionist and not anti-Jewish (and/or) Jewish ourselves must resist dangerous attempts to discredit [the pro-Zionist movement] by promoting a “false” anti-Semitism …”

• echinococcus
      October 29, 2016, 7:10 pm

I’m not sure Berkowitz was suppressing free speech by caving in.

Any chance he might have been promoting it?

The unmasking of the intolerant is also one desired result of such discussions.

3. Keith
    October 29, 2016, 5:08 pm

LILLIAN ROSENGARTEN- ” Zionist intention is to gather Jews from around the world to support and live in the “Jewish State,” using this powerful message of indoctrination. We have heard it spoken: a Jewish state is the only place on earth where Jews can be safe and no longer victims.”

Perceived anti-Semitism is the mother’s milk of Zionism. This manufactured sense of eternal victimhood and the fear it causes is used to generate Diaspora Jewish support for the state of Israel. However, it is inconceivable to me that at this stage of the game Israel would welcome a flood of American Jews to Israel. Who would be left minding the store? Israel needs the American Jewish Diaspora to remain as they are much more than the Diaspora needs Israel as a potential refuge, hence, the ongoing propaganda to convince American Jews of the importance of Israel to them. The only American Jews who “need” Israel are the Zionist elite who benefit from Israel centered tribal kinship.

• biggerjake
      October 31, 2016, 10:40 am

“Perceived anti-Semitism is the mother’s milk of Zionism.”

I wish I said that. It’s beautiful.

The term anti-Semitism has been overused and misused so much that it’s meaning has evolved. Calling someone anti-Semitic no longer means that person doesn’t like Jews…now it means the Zionists don’t like that person.

You don’t have to worry about the American Zionists uprooting to Israel. If they left, who would manipulate the movies, the media and the general public to be pro-Israel and anti-Palestinian?

The truth is the last thing the Middle East or the world needs is a psudo-ethno, psudo-religious, racist state that openly favors one group over another.

4. russgreen
    October 29, 2016, 11:21 pm

Below is an example of manufactured antisemitism being used to discredit a brave activist. Please sign this petition to protest it.
    Anyone can sign it. Please sign it and forward it widely by email, facebook, and twitter:

Petition:

• jd65
      October 31, 2016, 12:42 pm

Hey Russ G. I signed the similar petition posted here by Henry N @ MW a week or two back.

And I received in an email the additional letter/petition you’ve posted above. This one fragment below is the reason I won’t sign the one you’ve posted here:

“Yet, JVP appears rather to be focused upon Jewish problems, notably ‘antisemitism’…”

I’ve got a lot of problems w/ JVP and I’ve detailed them here before so I’m not gonna. But this clip I’ve pulled out of the letter overstates the issue to a degree I’m not comfortable with. It’s saying, or can too easily be read to say, that the primary objective of JVP as an organization is to fight anti-Semitism. That’s not the case, and saying so is kinda like feeding the monkey. There’s, of course, more to say on that issue. Sure, JVP may spend too much time in their messaging/discourse on the subject of anti-Semitism. But it’s not their primary focus. ‘Nuff said…

I certainly wouldn’t have an issue w/ others signing it, but that single overstatement keeps me off of it. Oh well. Just thought you may appreciate a little, what I hopefully consider to be, thoughtful criticism on the wording of the letter. I hope that’s cool…

• echinococcus
        November 12, 2016, 1:20 pm

Well, all the action of JVP does create the appearance “that the primary objective of JVP as an organization is to fight anti-Semitism”.

5. xanadou
    October 29, 2016, 11:34 pm

Why are the zionists allowed to use the epithet of “antisemite” to avoid responding to accusations of genocidal violence, to shut up legitimate criticism? An ad hominem is an abusive tactic used by a coward with no valid arguments to support the legitimacy of his/her own line of reasoning; the real Semites exist daily in the crosshairs of the racist regime.

The zionist experiment is a massive and irreversible failure. The game is over when all that is left for the wanna-be players are lies, name-calling, intimidation and offensive abuse of the memory of the dead to further the petty cupidity of a few increasingly irrelevant individuals. Who will be the one, and when, to tell the truth to the delusional psychopaths? It’s time to retire the myth back to the ancient source from whence it had emerged.

6. Talkback
    October 30, 2016, 4:33 am

“Meant to inflame he compares BDS to the (“pre extermination” Marcus’ words) Nazi boycotts of Jewish stores in the 1930’s, a truly ludicrous comparison used to inflame fear. ”

Well, the Europeans don’t buy it:
    “The EU stands firm in protecting freedom of expression and freedom of association in line with the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, which is applicable on EU Member States’ territory, including with regard to BDS actions carried out on this territory. ”

7. Kay24
    October 30, 2016, 7:05 am

Testing.

• Annie Robbins
      October 30, 2016, 2:29 pm

kay, everyone — it appears many comments have been automatically landing in our trash pile. i have just visited there and ran into LOTS of comments i am certain no one here moderated/trashed. i am doing my best to restore thm and noticing also many people have reposted the same comment(tried again) including comments i just cleared.

just notified phil and adam. adam will be posting something about this tomorrow, it will probably be posted on the front page but if you miss it check the “site status” option at the top of the page http://mondoweiss.net/site-status/

fyi, personally it feels very alienating to me also when i can’t comment and after a week or so i wondered (crazily) if perhaps i had been banned. no one has been banned over the last month that i am aware of. i am very distressed this has gone on so long, as we all are, and i can only asked that you please be patient. it’s very confusing to me. i am going back to the trash and releasing comments that landed there. sorry again.

• Kay24
        October 30, 2016, 4:35 pm

Thank you Annie, I was getting worried thinking I could never comment again. :))

• RoHa
        October 30, 2016, 10:59 pm

Still happening, Annie. No doubt a Mossad hack, and probably aimed at me in particular. Correct use of commas is anti-Semitic.

• Annie Robbins
        October 31, 2016, 1:42 am

and probably aimed at me in particular

no doubt mondoweiss comment section is being systematically attacked because of u Roha. natch.

Still happening, Annie.

yeah like don’t i know. it used to be i’d go clear comments on the moderation page. now i do that, then hit the trash page, then the spam page, and “restore” them, then back to moderation page to clear them. so much fun, as if moderation is not time consuming as it is. sorry!

No doubt a Mossad hack

my sentiments exactly!! and no doubt costing us a fortune in blood and treasure. not to mention all our posters who assume they’ve been banned and we’re practicing massive censorship.

jumpin jack flash it’s a drag drag drag.

• CigarGod
        October 31, 2016, 8:27 am

You may also wish to pass this on:
        I get a “pagely” comment saying site not found when I type in the url for this site. When I type mondoweiss into the search bar I am able to get to the site.

• jd65
        October 31, 2016, 12:24 pm

It’s the Russians.

October 31, 2016, 5:59 pm

“jumpin jack flash it’s a drag drag drag.”

I thought it was a “gas, gas ,gas”.
        Well, anyway, there’s a bathroom on the right. Scuse me while I kiss this guy…

I decided not to depend on Mondo to fix the commenting system, and got a new computer. 16 Gigs RAM, 1 turtlebyte hard drive. Comments works perfect.

• Annie Robbins
        October 31, 2016, 6:38 pm

i was wondering if anyone would catch my merging of rolling stone’s songs ;) i did it on purpose.

November 1, 2016, 2:52 pm

” i did it on purpose.”

What a gas it is, getting old!

• Annie Robbins
        November 1, 2016, 2:57 pm

the russians? i figured it was mossad — or maybe the foreign ministry or whatever new ministry they have developed to fight bds. what.ever!

eljay, i sooo know about that pagely notice. i screenshot it and sent it upstairs one day in frustration.

• eljay
        November 1, 2016, 3:03 pm

|| Annie Robbins: … eljay, i sooo know about that pagely notice. … ||

That should read: “CigarGod, I sooo know about that pagely notice.” ;-)

• Annie Robbins
        November 1, 2016, 3:13 pm

whoops! sorry cigargod — so so very! and thanks for keeping me sane eljay

• eljay
        November 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

|| Annie Robbins: … and thanks for keeping me sane eljay ||

You recently kept me in line, so it’s the least I could do in return. ;-)

• talknic
        November 2, 2016, 12:39 am

@ Mooser November 1, 2016, 2:52 pm

“What a gas it is, getting old!”

Yep. Getting old was a gas! Tho once you’ve gotten there, running out of gas is on the last few cards

8. Annie Robbins
    October 31, 2016, 2:14 am

tell it like it is

i can’t wait to meet you Lillian Rosengarten! (coming to the bay area really soon!)

9. oneangrycomic
    October 31, 2016, 1:26 pm

As more Jews discover the vile agenda of the Zionists (and how they’re being lied to and manipulated by them) whatever “deeply imbedded hysteria” may exist will be ignited all right – but the targets of this seething rage will be the Zionists themselves.
    How ironic that Zionists will be destroyed by, to a large extent, the very people they had conspired to use as their human shields; people like my friend Lillian, who so eloquently exposes their Hasbara lies!

• DaBakr
      November 1, 2016, 12:10 am

the vile agenda of the ‘evil’ zionists was supported by one the the three most brilliant founders of the USA and a primary author of its constitution. some of what he had to say (and there are other articles linking the deists of the revolution to similar views of jews and muslims as both rejecting any ‘trinity’ over one g-d. but then i suppose that would make him anti-catholic and pro-islam/pro-jew):

@http://www.sullivan-county.com/

Adams, who was born on October 30, 1735, in Braintree, Massachusetts, grew up in a household based on Puritan values. The Puritans believed themselves to be like the Israelite’s fleeing Egypt, wandering into the vast and unknown wilderness and reaching the promised land of the New World.
      As their guide, they used the Bible, adopting biblical customs, established biblical codes, such as observance of the Sabbath, and gave their children Hebrew names.
      In 1808, in a letter to Dutch Patriot leader and American immigrant François Adriaan van der Kemp, Adams wrote:

I will insist the Hebrews have [contributed] more to civilize men than any other nation. If I was an atheist and believed in blind eternal fate, I should still believe that fate had ordained the Jews to be the most essential instrument for civilizing the nations …

They are the most glorious nation that ever inhabited this Earth. The Romans and their empire were but a bubble in comparison to the Jews. They have given religion to three-quarters of the globe and have influenced the affairs of mankind more and more happily than any other nation, ancient or modern.

And he made that even more clear in this 1819 letter to Mordecai M. Noah:

M. M. Noah Esq.
      March 15th. 1819
      Dear Sir,
      I have to thank you for another valuable publication your travels in “Europe
      Africa” which though I cannot see well enough to read. I can hear as well
      ever & accordingly have heard read two thirds of it & shall in course hear all
      the rest. It is a magazine of ancient & modern learning of judicious observa-
      tions & ingenious reflections. I have been so pleased with it that I wish you
      had continued your travels-into Syria. Judea & Jerusalem. I should attend
      more to your remarks upon those interesting countries than to those of any
      traveller I have yet read. If I were to let my imagination loose I should wish
      you had been a member of Napoleons Institute at Cairo nay farther I
      could find it in my heart to wish that you had been at the head of a hundred
      thousand Israelites indeed as well disciplined as a French Army-& marching
      with them into Judea & making a conquest of that country & restoring your
      nation to the dominion of it. For I really wish the Jews again in Judea an
      independent nation. For I believe the most enlightened men of it have
      participated in the ameliorations of the philosophy of the age, once restored
      to an independent government & no longer persecuted they would soon wear
      away some of the asperities & peculiarities of their character & possibly in
      time become liberal Unitarian Christians for your Jehovah is our Jehovah
      your God of Abraham Isaac & Jacob is our God. I am Sir with respect
      esteem your obliged humble servant.
      John Adams

• Lillian Rosengarten
        November 1, 2016, 11:55 am

• eljay
        November 1, 2016, 12:07 pm

|| Lillian Rosengarten: Da Bakr But what has this got to do with the reality of the horrors perpetrated by Israeli Zionists on Palestinians? How can one intellectualize that away? ||

He isn’t intellectualizing it away – he’s Zionizing it away.

Zio-supremacists like aBk have three core beliefs:
        – People who choose to be Jewish are entitled to a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” in as much as possible of Palestine.
        – Acts of injustice and immorality committed against Jews justify acts of injustice and immorality committed by Jews.
        – Jews are entitled to do unto others acts of injustice and immorality they would not have others do unto them.

November 1, 2016, 3:55 pm

“Note that Adams, like most people throughout history, naturally thought of Jews as a nation, not merely a religion.”

But that damned Constitution and Bill of Rights, completely refused to acknowledge Jewish nationhood, and condemned the Jews coming to America to ordinary American citizenship, instead of recognition as a separate nation!

And what, I ask you, has been the harvest for the Jews? Oh God, look down upon us in America, without the protection of Jewish nationhood, and take pity on us, oh Lord!

• RoHa
        November 1, 2016, 9:44 pm

And why should we think John Adams was right about any of that?

(His cousin Sam does make good beer, though.)

• DaBakr
        November 2, 2016, 1:05 am

@lr

it has everything do do with everything. indigenous first nations people. thoughts on the nation of jews throughout the last 2000yrs of history. sour grapes. mediocre mindsets. israel-haters. hypocrites and so many other things it would be impossible to list.

@ej

people don’t choose to be ‘jewish’ except in the hysterical world of zionist-hating far left cranky-pants who like to over-intellectualize the most basic and simple of concepts and knowledge. the recent unesco rez is not surprising but perfectly illustrates the ‘point’

• eljay
        November 2, 2016, 12:53 pm

|| DaBakr: @ej

people don’t choose to be ‘jewish’ … ||

Sure they do. People are free to choose to:
        – undergo a religious conversion to Judaism and become Jewish;
        – accept the Jewishness they acquired by virtue of having been born to someone who underwent a religious conversion to Judaism;
        – reject their Jewishness, regardless of how it was acquired, and live as non-Jews.

November 2, 2016, 1:20 pm

“And why should we think John Adams was right about any of that?”

I think we should draw the curtain of discretion over Adam’s words. People will say almost anything when they are trying to get a loan.

• MHughes976
        November 2, 2016, 2:37 pm

We’re in DaB’s debt for drawing our attention to this important monument to Christian Zionism of that time. CZ was already at least two centuries old and we see it here drawing support from a progressive Unitarian who admired Napoleon’s vaguely pro-Jewish plans for the ME, as it was later to draw support from the even more progressive and fearsomely intelligent George Eliot. As to the moral interest and value of Adams’ remarks, the first thing that strikes me is that it’s a very clear illustration of the fact that there’s no particular reason why anti-Semitism, as found in Adams’ final remarks, should be regarded as incompatible with Zionism, as found in the just preceding ones. The second point is that a prominent reason for calling for conquests by Jews is to correct the alleged ‘asperities’ of Jewish character and to prepare the way for conversion. But it makes no sense to call for this. No one ever became less harsh by conquering people. Thirdly, there is surely a problem in that the rights and interests of the conquered are as invisible in the ME as they seemingly were in the American heartland of the time. So I’d say that if we were thinking of justifying actual Israeli conquests, were we to call them that, for Adams’ reasons, we would not get very far.

November 2, 2016, 6:08 pm

“We’re in DaB’s debt for drawing our attention to this important monument to Christian Zionism of that time”

I’m in your debt, “MHughes976” for a very informative and cogent comment.

Me, I just would have told “Dabakr” to check his shoes.

• RoHa
        November 3, 2016, 2:36 am

Good analysis, MHughes.

• DaBakr
      November 2, 2016, 1:00 am

i was curious to see mw commenters take down john adams while they pat themselves on the back for supporting a group of first nations people protesting a pipeline while at the same time enjoying the benefits of citizenship of a nation founded on the premise of removing and/or colonizing the ancient indigenous people of the land. it all just sounds so…familiar .
      but israel haters have already come up with the rationalized response to anyone who points this out:
      a) they made up a ridiculous word like: whatabout[ism] -and-

b) they thought up a clever slogan: ‘if not now, when?’ which pretty much means…..absolutely nothing.

• Lillian Rosengarten
        November 2, 2016, 9:59 am

Da Bakr Your judgments do much to close a discussion. I have no identification with “a nation of Jews” Your words” Jew haters” inflame and simply continue the cycle of hate. It is my fervent hope and necessary that Israeli Zionism is dismantled and replaced with a truly democratic bi -national state of equal rights. “Israel Haters” is another manufacture, a potent form of domestic terror by the Israeli Zionist ministry of propaganda to reinforce not only the idea of victimization of Jews but to encourage blind sighted support for the agenda of despair that Zionism has perpetrated on their Palestinian brothers and sisters, who in case it slips your mind are also semites with a profoundly beautiful culture. For shame .

• yonah fredman
        November 2, 2016, 11:05 am

Lillian- regarding calling the Palestinians semites, my first reaction is a recoil, why open up this semantic swamp. Who needs it?
        But my second reaction is my “genetic familiar” reaction. In fact my coloring is quite pale, but going to Jewish schools, (and having met a wide variety of relatives and landsmen) the imprint of “who is a jew” was formed by the facial features of my classmates, and Arabs and (many) jews share facial similarities.
        (btw, of fellow longtime American immigrant groups, there is the greatest facial similarity to italians, though there is a fellow desert dweller identity that i find with Arabs as embodied in Tony soprano lamenting his disadvantage negotiating with Hesh, “gotta hold on to your balls when negotiating with you desert people. ” One other point of alienation from Italian americans compared to Arabs is an aversion to the ritual and paganism of the Catholic Church compared to islam, which is like two peas in a pod to halachic judaism.)

November 2, 2016, 12:48 pm

We owe “Yonah Fredman” a round of applause and a couple of “atta boy”s! Ms. Rosengarten titles the article “The Dark Side of Jewish Consciousness” and “Yonah”| delivers, right on schedule.
        Not forgetting to libel the Catholic Church (paganism? What are you “Yonah”, a Baptist?) and remind us that as dark as “Yonah’s” consciousness is, it’s as deep as a TV screen.

November 2, 2016, 1:01 pm

“the agenda of despair that Zionism has perpetrated on their Palestinian brothers and sisters, who in case it slips your mind are also semites with a profoundly beautiful culture. For shame .”

Wait a minute, I thought Zionism was going to be touted as the premier achievement of modern Judaism for the next hundred years. I was hoping to dine out on it all through my declining years. We saved the world from the Palestinians!
        And for younger people, what other qualification do you need to list on a job application except ” big macher Zionist”?

• RoHa
        November 3, 2016, 2:39 am

What is your point, DaBakr? That people who live in a colonized land should not criticize ideas of the early colonizers?
        If so, why shouldn’t they?

10. Elizabeth Block
    October 31, 2016, 2:48 pm

When Hajo Meier was on his speaking tour (his presentation was titled “Never Again for Anyone”), no mainstream Jewish venue in Toronto would give him a platform. He spoke at the Winchevsky Centre (secular, left-wing Jews) and Quaker House. And some Toronto Jews called him an anti-Semite.

11. Rashers2
    October 31, 2016, 10:15 pm

Thank you, Lillian Rosengarten. “Zionism is not a religion but a political movement,” is the central but inexpedient truth, which Israel flagrantly ignores when its politicians seek to portray themselves as acting for and representing all Jews, everywhere. It is no surprise that the self-serving effect of this portrayal is exactly to increase hostility towards all Jews, everywhere – even though many Diaspora Jews will not set foot in Israel, let alone make Aliyah. It is therefore understandable although not excusable that Jewish communities in Europe are targeted by those who hate Israel’s actions and policies; and who, ironically, have themselves come to believe Israel’s great lie. If a big enough lie is repeated often enough, it becomes accepted as the truth – I wonder who said that…..
    It will be a shameful victory for Hasbara and the Western Israel apologists if governments such as my own enshrine this wholly false conflation between a religion and a political ideology in laws conceived to protect religious and ethnic minorities from persecution and incitements to violence.

12. yonah fredman
    November 1, 2016, 2:14 am

“Zionism has nothing to do with judaism.”
    Since the speaker hates zionism, for its cruelty, he thinks he is doing us (jews) a favor with this statement.
    But historically is the statement true? I would not seek to analyze judaism , but rather Jewish history.
    Zionism certainly is one response of some jews to recent Jewish history.
    The peace initiative of yitzchak rabin promised to begin to undo the harm while maintaining support for Israel’s jews. But the initiative lies in a ditch by the side of the road, replaced by the “realism ” of netanyahu. In fact Netanyahu seeks to economically enrich the Palestinian citizens of israel. This has zero to do with his good heart and everything to do with the bottom line. Israel’s economy needs a productive work force and two sectors lag behind and keep israel dragging: Arab (Palestinian Israelis) and haredi (ultra orthodox). It is in fact easier to boost the productivity of the Arab sector than the haredi sector.
    This is not relevant to the Palestinians of the west bank, but it is not irrelevant either, prosperity for all is a high priority to Israel’s leaders and though the offer of citizenship and the vote to West bank Palestinians is not part of the immediate plans, the pragmatic attitude towards Israel’s Arab citizens could easily be transferred towards the new citizens of the annexed west bank. Regarding gaza though, it is difficult to see the relevance of such pragmatism regarding a densely populated extremely religious impoverished area.

• Lillian Rosengarten
      November 1, 2016, 12:13 pm

I never use the word “hate” But I strongly oppose Zionism for it has created a monstrous agenda of brutality and disenfranchisement, of lies and checkpoints , of a system that terrorizes another for the sake of a Jewish state only. One must see Gaza, know Gaza in order to counter the myths of your description. Trust me, it is in part a ghetto of despair perpetrated by an agenda of genocide. Zionist doctrine has impoverished and terrorized Gaza with the help of the US . Most of the population of this open air prison which is already third generation and young are moderate Muslims and Christians. Despite all the suffering, there continues to be music, theater, creativity and a desire to live in freedom. Do check out the Jenin Freedom Theatre.

• amigo
      November 1, 2016, 1:11 pm

duhbaker,,, been hitting the ziocaine again.

BTW , what exactly does all that nonsense written by some dude 250 years ago have to do with the evil zionists of today.I just wonder what Adams would say about being left down by those who so impressed him.

November 1, 2016, 4:12 pm

“The peace initiative of yitzchak rabin promised to…”

…get him killed by his fellow Israelis?

November 2, 2016, 6:28 pm

“ Yet the impulse of diaspora jews to support the jews of israel, is a natural impulse (for some) as well.”

Uh, “Yonah” by “support” for Israel do you mean “wishing Israel would abandon its suicidal course” or ” willing to break US laws and/or spy to support Israel” or something in between?

• RoHa
      November 1, 2016, 9:57 pm

“The shock that in 1948 jews could act cruelly towards other humans so soon after cruelty was done to themselves, seems feigned…”
      “The harm done to the Palestinians has been intensive and wishing and acting to undo the harm and redress it, is a good impulse of kindness. Yet the impulse of diaspora jews to support the jews of israel, is a natural impulse (for some) as well.”

Yonah, I know you have no reason for an impulse of kindness towards me, but, to alleviate your cruelty to the world, could you please restrain your unnatural impulse to put a comma after a subject clause?

November 2, 2016, 6:34 pm

“Zionism certainly is one response of some jews to recent Jewish history. The shock that in 1948 jews could act cruelly towards other humans so soon after cruelty was done to themselves, seems feigned, for human cruelty in reaction to cruelty is the norm and not the exception. (Even if the inflicter of the original cruelty and the recipient of the consequential cruelty are not the same.)”

Oh, I get it “Yonah”, the Jewish way is to find somebody smaller and weaker and go inflict it on them! And dispossess them. That’s them ethics we got people is always talking about.
      And given our numbers, why shouldn’t we throw our weight around?

13. amigo
    November 1, 2016, 12:30 pm

“The harm done to the Palestinians has been intensive and wishing and acting to undo the harm and redress it, is a good impulse of kindness” yonah f.

Zionism has no impulse of kindness.Never did.Judaism does .that is why the speaker does you a favour by pointing out the difference between the two.You and your fellow zionist apologists took part in the hi jacking of Judaism or stood idly by and did nothing to stop it.

How can you put “good heart ” and netanyahu in the same sentence.The man is a heartless vile murderous criminal and you stoop so low as to attempt to show him as human.

Lay off the ziocaine , you know the damage it can wreak on the mind and the soul.

November 2, 2016, 1:04 pm

If I ever catch up with the person (and I will, if it takes forever!) who started that whole “ziocaine” thing, I will give him such a klopf!

November 4, 2016, 1:17 pm

“When Blumenthal suggests “Ziocaine,”…”

This has gone way too far. Whomsoever is responsible for this counterfeit coinage, this consarned conjunction, has a lot to answer for.

14. JLewisDickerson
    November 3, 2016, 8:45 am

RE: “It is ironic and bizarre that Marcus founded the Louis Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law several years ago to combat anti-Semitism” ~

MY QUERY: Anyone for bizarronic (bizarre + ironic)? Kenneth Marcus’ behavior reminds me of some of David Horowitz’s acting out*. Not to mention Charles Manson’s Ted Bundy’s Friedrich Heinrich Karl “Fritz” (i.e., son of Ollie) Haarmann’s.
    Oh G_d, I’m acting out* again.

* ■ Acting out
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Acting out is a psychological term from the parlance of defense mechanisms and self-control, meaning to perform an action in contrast to bearing and managing the impulse to perform it. The acting done is usually anti-social and may take the form of acting on the impulses of an addiction (e.g. drinking, drug taking or shoplifting) or in a means designed (often unconsciously or semi-consciously) to garner attention (e.g. throwing a tantrum or behaving promiscuously).

In general usage, the action performed is destructive to self or others and may inhibit the development of more constructive responses to the feelings in question. The term is used in this way in sexual addiction treatment, psychotherapy, criminology and parenting.

Alternatives
    Acting out painful feelings may be contrasted with expressing them in ways more helpful to the sufferer, e.g. by talking out, expressive therapy, psychodrama or mindful awareness of the feelings. Developing the ability to express one’s conflicts safely and constructively is an important part of impulse control, personal development and self-care. . .

SOURCE – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acting_out

15. hophmi
    November 3, 2016, 11:01 am

This site is, as usual, far more interested in antisemitism denial than in addressing widespread antisemitism in its own ranks.

November 3, 2016, 4:14 pm

“This site is, as usual, far more interested in antisemitism denial”

‘Antisemitism denial is a disease. It is a sad disease borne of many generations of persecution, but it is a disease. And Phil is afflicted with it, as many Jews have been in the past. And it is usually the antisemitism deniers who cause the worst damage to the Jewish community, precisely because of how small it is’.The antisemitism deniers will fall away, as they always do. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/hophmi/?keyword=fall+away#sthash.ROXKu6qu.dpuf

• Lillian Rosengarten
        November 3, 2016, 6:01 pm

Don’t get your point Mooser. Anti-Semitism is hatred of Jews. On the other hand Israel calls anyone who does not go along with their evil agenda an anti-Semite. So who denies anti-Semitism? Zionists in their destructive propaganda has confused the issue . Psychosis in action.
        What do you think Phil is afflicted with? I know about Holocaust denial but this is a new one. I also think people often need to skirt around a painful topic. Kenneth Marcus is acting out of his staunchly zionist belief system. Acting out has nothing to do with the issues I am thinking about.

November 4, 2016, 12:58 pm

“Don’t get your point Mooser.”

Hello Ms. Rosengarten! I apologize for my obscure comment. Click the link.
        I was invoking “Hophmi’s” expertise on the Jewish condition. Whether it’s self-hate, or “antisemitism denial”, he is my go-to source. (By now, I can chant the “The Phils will fall away” text like a Hoftorah)
        It’s hard for a nebbish me to understand all the details but I’m beginning to sense a certain consistency to “Hophmi’s” analysis; whether it’s Jewish “self-hate” or “antisemitism denial”, you will probably find Phil Weiss and Mondo at the bottom of it!

(My best wishes and a brocha on you, LR!)

16. Lillian Rosengarten