- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 89
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 2
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 11
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 43
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 10
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 6
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 2
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 3
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- It’s time to reveal the Israeli role in the US … 0
- ‘Secret’ London conference seeks to link BDS to… terrorism 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 110
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- RT @aptly_engineerd: My friend's cousin, a US citizen, has been arrested by Israeli police for translating at protests. What democracy? http://t.co/EOVKhaPvry, 4 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: The smears leveled at me & others this week were not an assault, but a desperate defensive action by those terrified by the arc of history., 4 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control weapon installed atop wall near Bethlehem may shoot water/skunk water instead of live ammo http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 6 hours ago
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 6 hours ago
- RT @henrystreetedit: Israel arrests and detains US citizen, translator and student Mariam Barghouti http://t.co/wuB1Uusib4 #FreeMariam, 6 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)
- Henry Norr: From “Remote-control machine gun repairs just got quicker” Jerusalem Post 5/24/2013...
- Sumud: Thanks Henry I was going to mention Cook’s article myself. FYI the original version at The National is...
- talknic: Most likely device like a water cannon http://www.maannews.net/images /PhotoViewer/275053.jpg
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (89)
- Philip Munger: My exchange with MJ today: Philip Munger @PhilipMunger @MJayRosenberg Is there a place in your heart...
- Donald: “If you want to limit the power of Zionist activism, then you have to change the paradigm for activism...
- talknic: yonah fredman Your concerns are so touching…. Say, Is anyone gonna die because of anything Max...
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality of occupation (6)
- David Samel: Just to add one thing. The Times headline reads “Mideast Tensions Sideline a Gazan Marathon...
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (43)
- Sumud: Friedman has to maintain the fairy tale about the apartheid wall for 2 reasons: - Palestinians are savages...
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. She says no (3)
- dbroncos: … Watergate hit him “like a stomach punch” A punch that disappeared up to the elbow.
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in West Bank (10)
- talknic: Copies of the Privacy Act Waiver can be signed and safely in the hands of your family in advance.
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (11)
Author Archives: Ben White
The Palestinians’ Boycott Divestment Sanctions campaign is making headlines, thanks in part to pro-Israel advocates’ attack on an event scheduled for tonight at Brooklyn College. But it would be a mistake to assume that this sort of crude bullying is the main, let alone only, way Zionist groups are fighting back against the growing movement for Palestinian rights. Here are some examples of how Israel and its supporters are targeting BDS.
On the eve of the Association for Israel Studies annual conference, Ben White looks at Israel Studies’ role in masking the facts of Israeli oppression, and thwarting growing global resistance to that ugly reality.
Ben White discusses his new book “Palestinians in Israel.”
Yousef Munayyer’s post earlier today have highlighted the weakness in Ethan Bronner’s version of the events in 1947-49, quoting from the reports of the time from the New York Times itself. Similarly refreshing insights can be found in the archives … Continue reading
Today, 6 May, marks one year since Ameer Makhoul, general director of Palestinian NGO-network Ittijah, was arrested in the night from his home in Haifa. Ameer was held without access to a lawyer for almost two weeks, and subjected to … Continue reading
Apparently, The Reut Institute was sufficiently concerned about my post earlier this week on the role of Israel studies in Israel’s ‘rebranding’ exercise, that staff member Eran Shayshon contributed this reply. My original article was clear: “promoting Israel studies on … Continue reading
On Tuesday, an article in The Guardian reported an “expansion” in Israel studies at London’s School of African and Oriental Studies (SOAS), as well as “a new European Association of Israel Studies (EAIS) to be launched in September”. During the … Continue reading
The publication of Richard Goldstone’s op-ed in The Washington Post on Friday heralded a weekend of frenzied hasbara. Goldstone’s “retraction” (though ‘qualification’ is more accurate) of the report into Operation Cast Lead was welcomed by Israeli leaders, Israel advocates in … Continue reading
In a post today, Alex Kane asked the question, ‘Is another ‘Cast Lead’ in the offing?‘ I wanted to just add a couple of supplementary thoughts on the current “escalation” in Gaza. Firstly, the AIC have published a useful article … Continue reading
As activists around the world take part in Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW), Zionist lobby groups have swung into action, pushing a mixture of candy-coated distractions, lies, and trained hasbarists. Here are five commonly heard objections to IAW, unpacked. 1. “Arabs … Continue reading
The letter from Boycott from Within to British Telecom, January 18, 2011: Dear British Telecom, We, Israeli citizens devoted to the promotion of a just peace and a true democracy in the Middle East, are deeply concerned about the potentially … Continue reading
An article this week in The Jerusalem Post suggested that "when the construction freeze in Judea and Samaria ends on September 26", Israeli PM Netanyahu intends to build mainly in the so-called settlement blocs "Israel will likely keep under an … Continue reading
In late May, I wrote a piece about the Nassar family’s ‘Tent of Nations’ project outside Bethlehem, and the demolition orders that had been issued by the Israeli occupation forces. I have just got back from a visit to Palestine … Continue reading
Mondoweiss has already reported the demolition of Bedouin Palestinian homes in an-Naqab in the south of Israel. Neve Gordon and others have correctly contextualised the events in terms of the wider strategic aims of ‘Judaising’ the Negev. The following story appeared in … Continue reading
‘a wretched reality that should appall anyone with an ounce of humanity’ (still Israel seeks to justify blockade)
Israel’s apologists in Britain, aware that they’re fighting a losing battle, haven’t got many options left when it comes to making excuses for apartheid. With renewed focus on the collective punishment of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, the hasbarists have … Continue reading
An article in Ha’aretz today will surely get attention for the headline, ‘Foreign Ministry warned Israel Navy not to raid Gaza flotilla in international waters’. Further down, is the following: Thus, according to senior figures familiar with the details of … Continue reading
Bnei Brak is a city of around 150,000, next to Tel Aviv. Apparently [according to Ynet], "notices against employing Palestinians in Israel without a permit" have been appearing in the last week. The notices stated, "As is known, for a … Continue reading
This is Daoud Nassar. His family own a beautiful piece of land to the west of Bethlehem, in the Occupied West Bank. I have had the privilege of visiting their land numerous times since I first went to Palestine/Israel in … Continue reading
With worldwide Palestine solidarity and the BDS movement growing in strength, Israeli propaganda efforts intended to counter the "peace with justice" call have also come under the spotlight. We’ve seen Reut’s "delegitimization" report, crass campus hasbara, and a host of … Continue reading
Last week, the UK national newspaper ‘The Sunday Times’ featured an article attacking Human Rights Watch. In tones familiar to similar attacks on both HRW and Amnesty International, there was no prize for guessing which country was deemed to be … Continue reading
On March 17, the following note appeared on the Promised Land blog: And this also happened this week: the office of the minister of education forbade distributing a booklet for kids about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, because it … Continue reading
Ben White has a big piece at EI, on Israel’s recent propaganda efforts: The Global Forum’s anti-BDS group talked of the "Jewish community" needing "a war room" that would be "tracking this movement, sharing best practices, coaching communities." It mentioned … Continue reading
As mentioned earlier, Zionist hasbara efforts in Canada now boast a new initiative called ‘Size Doesn’t Matter’. The campaign has got most publicity so far on account of a video that combines sexual crudity with the erasure of Palestine from … Continue reading
This in Ha’aretz today: Haaretz has learnt that Benjamin Netanyahu’s government is considering a five-year plan costing NIS 500 million to renovate and preserve national heritage and infrastructure sites, in an attempt to strengthen ties between global Jewry and Israel’s … Continue reading
The Jerusalem Post website today carries an "exclusive" interview with two settlers in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem. The whole piece is an interesting insight into this particular mentality – note, for example, Yuval’s observation that the "Galilee … Continue reading