- ‘No food, no water to revive awaiting certain death…’: Horrifying … 24
- On ‘Death to Arabs’ in Jerusalem & Tel Aviv 18
- 9 Reasons why Israel is under rocket attack 18
- It’s time for liberal Jewish bodies to take a stand 34
- Critical Ethnic Studies Association and the African Literature Association endorse … 1
- Palestinians build tunnel to attack Israeli kindergarten, Netanyahu says 60
- Speaking to the Deaf: Activists attempt to talk with the … 3
- ‘Heartbreaking’ is U.S. government’s talking point for Gaza massacre 67
- Palestinians celebrate report that Hamas captured Israeli soldier 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 0
- Video: A beautiful brother went looking for his family in … 0
- Video: Resistance activists down power line in West Bank 0
- Look at Netanyahu’s ‘evidence’ that civilians are harboring rockets in … 0
- Hamas wants to pile up ‘telegenically-dead Palestinians for their cause’ … 0
- ‘Washington Post’ exhibits naked double standard in Israeli, Palestinian deaths … 0
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 217
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 200
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- RT @WilliamsJon: UN Human Rights Council votes for Commission of Inquiry on alleged war crimes in #Gaza. 1 country voted against: USA http://t.co/lrvc0TWqCS, 5 hours ago
- .@ISMPalestine: Israeli military falsifies photograph to justify bombing el-Wafa hospital http://t.co/ZgIwkrMghh http://t.co/OnI5KYzP6Q, 6 hours ago
- RT @Ali_Gharib: Boy from Long Island moves to foreign country, takes citizenship & joins its army. Boy says others are too focused on said foreign country., 6 hours ago
- RT @tomgara: Smart take. http://t.co/ZWIhXCKZaX, 7 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: Madonna: These flowers are like the innocent children of GAZA! Who has a right to destroy them? No One!!! CEASE FIRE! http://t.co/9nKkAhDW9p, 7 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
- Shingo: Hamas must think Israelis are stupid by offering Israel a hudna that it will readily break when its strong...
- seafoid: It’s interesting to read Israel’s attitude before they started the offensive...
- talknic: If UNRWA handed them to Hamas where’s the problem? Hamas is the authority. Hamas is permitted to be...
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis (86)
- seafoid: Mr Danny Danon of Likud says of the FAA’s decision to ban incoming American flights...
- Walid: “Is there any word on whether or not HB intends to get involved?” dbroncos, not a word other than...
- Walid: “Walid I thought Dahlan was living in UAE? Did he relocate?” My mistake, Sumud, I have my...
- The fascists wanted to murder us: An eyewitness account of Haifa’s anti-war protest (21)
- Shingo: Where were you when they built the Dimona facility and then lied to the world about its existence. You’re...
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war (57)
- seafoid: Lucy Aharish is a Palestinian TV anchor on Israeli TV http://www.haaretz.com/news...
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing to say about Gaza massacre (54)
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
Tag Archives: NYPD
Ahmed Ferhani, a 27-year-old Algerian immigrant, pled guilty to charges of terrorism. He will likely get 10 years in prison. But his case raised questions about how the New York Police Department treats terrorism cases, with lawyers charging that Ferhani was targeted and entrapped by an undercover agent who spent years looking for potential Muslim extremists in New York City.
Shamiur Rahman, an informant who is a 19-year-old Bengali-American, has denounced his former work and says the New York Police Department (NYPD) instructed him to “bait” Muslims in New York into talking about terrorism.
A high-level FBI official blasted the NYPD’s intelligence division as engaging in ‘felonious activity’ that ‘violates’ US citizens’ rights. The message, reported on by Truthout, was part of a trove of 5 million emails that the hacker group Anonymous obtained.
Official rationale for NYPD spying falls apart with report that ‘no leads’ came from spying on Muslims
The New York Police Department’s rationale for its widespread surveillance of innocent Muslims falls apart with an Associated Press article that reports that the surveillance ‘never generated a lead or triggered a terrorism investigation.’
An official verdict has yet to be issued on the constitutionality of the NYPD’s widespread surveillance program of Muslims. But one NY-based lawyer, writing in The National Law Journal, proclaims it unconstitutional.
In the past few months, concrete proof of New Jersey state police’s complicity with the NYPD spying effort on Muslim communities has emerged.
Last July, some 400 Muslim New Yorkers gathered at the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) annual “pre-Ramadan conference” at police headquarters. Mohamed Shamsi Ali, the imam of the Islamic Cultural Center of New York, delivered prayers while Mayor Michael Bloomberg told the audience that “New York is a city built on religious tolerance.” This year, the scene was different. In the wake of the New York Police Department’s spy scandal, a coalition of Muslim groups in New York announced a boycott of this morning’s Ramadan conference.
As part of our summer fundraiser we are very excited to offer the book “Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire” as a thank you gift. Alex Kane sits down with author Deepa Kumar to discuss “liberal Islamophobia,” Obama’s wars, the anti-mosque movement and the long history of anti-Muslim sentiment.
Controversy over ‘stop and frisk’ and the surveillance of Muslim communities has led to a bill that would create independent oversight of the NYPD.
‘NYPD detectives were not profiling’ when they spied on Newark Muslims, says the New Jersey attorney general. Activists strongly disagree.
Bills introduced in the House aimed to bar federal funds from being used to conduct racial and religious profiling and condemned the NYPD’s spy program.
Obama adviser John Brennan’s recent praise for the NYPD crystallized a sense that the Obama administration is out of touch with the Muslim-American and Arab-American community.
Members of the coalition Jews Against Islamophobia take to the Jewish Week to deliver a searing indictment of Ray Kelly, the NYPD chief.
Mort Zuckerman gets VIP treatment from the NYPD. Eight years later, his paper is praising the NYPD’s practice of spying on Muslims–and getting the facts wrong.
The FBI’s ‘mosque outreach’ has enabled the agency to collect data on Muslims’ religious beliefs, store that data and share it with other law enforcement agencies.
Jordan Flaherty, a journalist who has reported from Gaza, and two Palestine solidarity demonstrations were mentioned in a 2008 NYPD memo.
King’s hearing on Hezbollah in the US was more about stoking fear than about an actual threat.
The Jewish Community Relations Council has praised Ray Kelly as the best police chief ever. But critics say that Jewish institutional support for the NYPD will harm Jewish-Muslim relations.
NYPD police commissioner is reaching out to Muslims in the wake of reports that show massive spying on Muslims in the Northeast. But many Muslim activists aren’t accepting the invitations.
The latest revelation from the AP is a snapshot of the larger problem of federal tax dollars flowing to anti-Muslim trainings.
Bloomberg continues to stand by NYPD’s ‘guide to Muslims’ and ‘mosque crawlers’ as Newark’s Corey Booker and Yale’s president denounce the program
Muslim community leaders say Islamophobia is deep-seated in the New York Police Department. And they’re not taking it anymore.
The backers of an anti-Muslim film shown to the NYPD are major financial backers of Israel’s settlement project.