- ‘Apartheid on the Hill’: Students transform Tufts campus to highlight … 4
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy 31
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft … 46
- ‘Visit Palestine’–My personal message to Mayor Bill de Blasio 4
- Caught in an honest moment, Kerry casts doubt on the … 20
- NYC Community Board member calls BDS ‘the face of anti-Semitism’ 10
- Following criticism, ‘NYT’ quotes Barghouti, Vilkomerson and Ashrawi on BDS 8
- On American Zionist Education: An excerpt from ‘The Politics of … 9
- ‘Politico’ leaves Israel off list of 25 ‘awkward allies’ of … 0
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 0
- Opponents of UCLA divestment ignore strong South African support for … 0
- National summit to re-assess the special relationship — Friday in … 0
- Netanyahu mentions ‘BDS’ 18 times in denouncing movement and its … 0
- Capitalism and its contradictions: From Arizona to Florida to #UCLAdivest 0
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 0
- John Kerry and David Broza perform for AIPAC 0
- AIPAC reaches out to Christians with morphing Star of David 149
- ‘NYT’ says East Jerusalem isn’t occupied, and Israel lobby takes … 108
- Anti-anti-semitism: How did a movement against bigotry lend itself to … 107
- Israel lobby group compiles secret dossiers on pro-Palestinian speakers 102
- ‘NYT’ dismisses Wieseltier attack on Judis as tempest-in-a-teapot 99
- Obama warns Israel about delegitimization, and Oren suggests annexation 93
- Pelosi calls Israel’s creation ‘the most spectacular political achievement of … 91
- Poll: If two-states collapse, Americans overwhelmingly favor ‘democracy’ 84
- RT @alexbkane: SEIU organizer has swallowed the hasbara, claims Israel treats immigrants fairly https://t.co/1Yz6bSjYVo, 6 hours ago
- RT @EliClifton: 'D.C. elite say pro-Israel lobby losing influence, likened to NRA' http://t.co/Ekawm3GoKs, 6 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: State Dept to 'check out' vicious attack on Palestinian athletes http://t.co/QRDaEZUNFu via @Mondoweiss, 10 hours ago
- 'Apartheid on the Hill': @TuftsSJP transforms Tufts campus to highlight Israeli occupation http://t.co/nrVwEehYXj, 11 hours ago
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department 'midwives' democracy http://t.co/2nA5CBXhOc, 11 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy (31)
- Walid: The argument at the time was to let the Brothers (and the more radical Salafists) that had been kept...
- Eva Smagacz: Bandolero, I absolutely agree with your perspective. The crisis and regime changes create fantastic...
- W.Jones: the State Dept such twist[ed] the Egyptian Military’s arm to allow the Islamists to run in the last...
- ‘Netanyahu is a Nazi’: Scenes from an Orthodox anti-military draft protest in Jerusalem (46)
- Caught in an honest moment, Kerry casts doubt on the ‘peace process’ (20)
- NYC Community Board member calls BDS ‘the face of anti-Semitism’ (10)
- seafoid: http://www.theguardian.com/wor ld/2008/mar/04/israelandthepal estinians.bookextracts “The first...
- ‘NYT’ provides frank descriptions of lobby’s power in review of Truman book (17)
- Philip Munger: Good for you. However, there is no chance the NYT will review Goliath. There is some chance that the...
- Dateline, Ukraine: How the State Department ‘midwives’ democracy (31)
Tag Archives: NYPD
Ahmed Ferhani, a 27-year-old Algerian immigrant, pled guilty to charges of terrorism. He will likely get 10 years in prison. But his case raised questions about how the New York Police Department treats terrorism cases, with lawyers charging that Ferhani was targeted and entrapped by an undercover agent who spent years looking for potential Muslim extremists in New York City.
Shamiur Rahman, an informant who is a 19-year-old Bengali-American, has denounced his former work and says the New York Police Department (NYPD) instructed him to “bait” Muslims in New York into talking about terrorism.
A high-level FBI official blasted the NYPD’s intelligence division as engaging in ‘felonious activity’ that ‘violates’ US citizens’ rights. The message, reported on by Truthout, was part of a trove of 5 million emails that the hacker group Anonymous obtained.
Official rationale for NYPD spying falls apart with report that ‘no leads’ came from spying on Muslims
The New York Police Department’s rationale for its widespread surveillance of innocent Muslims falls apart with an Associated Press article that reports that the surveillance ‘never generated a lead or triggered a terrorism investigation.’
An official verdict has yet to be issued on the constitutionality of the NYPD’s widespread surveillance program of Muslims. But one NY-based lawyer, writing in The National Law Journal, proclaims it unconstitutional.
In the past few months, concrete proof of New Jersey state police’s complicity with the NYPD spying effort on Muslim communities has emerged.
Last July, some 400 Muslim New Yorkers gathered at the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) annual “pre-Ramadan conference” at police headquarters. Mohamed Shamsi Ali, the imam of the Islamic Cultural Center of New York, delivered prayers while Mayor Michael Bloomberg told the audience that “New York is a city built on religious tolerance.” This year, the scene was different. In the wake of the New York Police Department’s spy scandal, a coalition of Muslim groups in New York announced a boycott of this morning’s Ramadan conference.
As part of our summer fundraiser we are very excited to offer the book “Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire” as a thank you gift. Alex Kane sits down with author Deepa Kumar to discuss “liberal Islamophobia,” Obama’s wars, the anti-mosque movement and the long history of anti-Muslim sentiment.
Controversy over ‘stop and frisk’ and the surveillance of Muslim communities has led to a bill that would create independent oversight of the NYPD.
‘NYPD detectives were not profiling’ when they spied on Newark Muslims, says the New Jersey attorney general. Activists strongly disagree.
Bills introduced in the House aimed to bar federal funds from being used to conduct racial and religious profiling and condemned the NYPD’s spy program.
Obama adviser John Brennan’s recent praise for the NYPD crystallized a sense that the Obama administration is out of touch with the Muslim-American and Arab-American community.
Members of the coalition Jews Against Islamophobia take to the Jewish Week to deliver a searing indictment of Ray Kelly, the NYPD chief.
Mort Zuckerman gets VIP treatment from the NYPD. Eight years later, his paper is praising the NYPD’s practice of spying on Muslims–and getting the facts wrong.
The FBI’s ‘mosque outreach’ has enabled the agency to collect data on Muslims’ religious beliefs, store that data and share it with other law enforcement agencies.
Jordan Flaherty, a journalist who has reported from Gaza, and two Palestine solidarity demonstrations were mentioned in a 2008 NYPD memo.
King’s hearing on Hezbollah in the US was more about stoking fear than about an actual threat.
The Jewish Community Relations Council has praised Ray Kelly as the best police chief ever. But critics say that Jewish institutional support for the NYPD will harm Jewish-Muslim relations.
NYPD police commissioner is reaching out to Muslims in the wake of reports that show massive spying on Muslims in the Northeast. But many Muslim activists aren’t accepting the invitations.
The latest revelation from the AP is a snapshot of the larger problem of federal tax dollars flowing to anti-Muslim trainings.
Bloomberg continues to stand by NYPD’s ‘guide to Muslims’ and ‘mosque crawlers’ as Newark’s Corey Booker and Yale’s president denounce the program
Muslim community leaders say Islamophobia is deep-seated in the New York Police Department. And they’re not taking it anymore.
The backers of an anti-Muslim film shown to the NYPD are major financial backers of Israel’s settlement project.