- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 61
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 2
- Remote-control machine gun installed on top of wall near Bethlehem … 4
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 35
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 7
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 3
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 2
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 1
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 110
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- RT @RRodrickBeiler: @Mondoweiss they were playing with it during last week's #PalestineMarathon pointing it at runners and journalists... http://t.co/6Mql0Xe8BF, 2 hours ago
- RT @RRodrickBeiler: @Mondoweiss not that Israeli snipers haven't routinely fired live ammo from this location as well: http://t.co/fbyEcFmRE4, 2 hours ago
- RT @RRodrickBeiler: @Mondoweiss pretty sure that's a water canon--see pic. Tho it could be used for "skunk" water. Still obnoxious. http://t.co/aWa3oKLj39, 2 hours ago
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in West Bank http://t.co/OBq9VhcHpM, 2 hours ago
- .@MuftahOrg new site looks great!, 2 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (35)
- American: As I thought. Schumer tried to pass it off as concern about Israelis selling their wares in malls. From...
- American: brenda says: I think Obama is the man in the arena. >>>> I am all for you’re being...
- Bumblebye: “This would give it until June 2017…” You don’t think they’d be planning to...
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (61)
- Zofia: For the last part: The proper arabic name is Akka not Acco. The name was changed to represent the...
- tree: According to Palestine Remembered: Lydda: City’s name through history: The city may have picked its name...
- David Nelson: Donald, “Can you imagine how the US press and government would react if Israelis had trouble...
- Remote-control machine gun installed on top of wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (4)
- Shuki: Not shocking that MW and the palestinian press would distort the truth and characterize this as a...
- Elihu: Of course, as you look at the picture of the device you will notice there is no magazine on the...
- ymedad: informed it is remote riot dispersal – capable of water cannon, skunk & tear gas. Not armament.
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the Temple Mount? (36)
- charleston: why not?
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (35)
Tag Archives: NYPD
Ahmed Ferhani, a 27-year-old Algerian immigrant, pled guilty to charges of terrorism. He will likely get 10 years in prison. But his case raised questions about how the New York Police Department treats terrorism cases, with lawyers charging that Ferhani was targeted and entrapped by an undercover agent who spent years looking for potential Muslim extremists in New York City.
Shamiur Rahman, an informant who is a 19-year-old Bengali-American, has denounced his former work and says the New York Police Department (NYPD) instructed him to “bait” Muslims in New York into talking about terrorism.
A high-level FBI official blasted the NYPD’s intelligence division as engaging in ‘felonious activity’ that ‘violates’ US citizens’ rights. The message, reported on by Truthout, was part of a trove of 5 million emails that the hacker group Anonymous obtained.
Official rationale for NYPD spying falls apart with report that ‘no leads’ came from spying on Muslims
The New York Police Department’s rationale for its widespread surveillance of innocent Muslims falls apart with an Associated Press article that reports that the surveillance ‘never generated a lead or triggered a terrorism investigation.’
An official verdict has yet to be issued on the constitutionality of the NYPD’s widespread surveillance program of Muslims. But one NY-based lawyer, writing in The National Law Journal, proclaims it unconstitutional.
In the past few months, concrete proof of New Jersey state police’s complicity with the NYPD spying effort on Muslim communities has emerged.
Last July, some 400 Muslim New Yorkers gathered at the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) annual “pre-Ramadan conference” at police headquarters. Mohamed Shamsi Ali, the imam of the Islamic Cultural Center of New York, delivered prayers while Mayor Michael Bloomberg told the audience that “New York is a city built on religious tolerance.” This year, the scene was different. In the wake of the New York Police Department’s spy scandal, a coalition of Muslim groups in New York announced a boycott of this morning’s Ramadan conference.
As part of our summer fundraiser we are very excited to offer the book “Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire” as a thank you gift. Alex Kane sits down with author Deepa Kumar to discuss “liberal Islamophobia,” Obama’s wars, the anti-mosque movement and the long history of anti-Muslim sentiment.
Controversy over ‘stop and frisk’ and the surveillance of Muslim communities has led to a bill that would create independent oversight of the NYPD.
‘NYPD detectives were not profiling’ when they spied on Newark Muslims, says the New Jersey attorney general. Activists strongly disagree.
Bills introduced in the House aimed to bar federal funds from being used to conduct racial and religious profiling and condemned the NYPD’s spy program.
Obama adviser John Brennan’s recent praise for the NYPD crystallized a sense that the Obama administration is out of touch with the Muslim-American and Arab-American community.
Members of the coalition Jews Against Islamophobia take to the Jewish Week to deliver a searing indictment of Ray Kelly, the NYPD chief.
Mort Zuckerman gets VIP treatment from the NYPD. Eight years later, his paper is praising the NYPD’s practice of spying on Muslims–and getting the facts wrong.
The FBI’s ‘mosque outreach’ has enabled the agency to collect data on Muslims’ religious beliefs, store that data and share it with other law enforcement agencies.
Jordan Flaherty, a journalist who has reported from Gaza, and two Palestine solidarity demonstrations were mentioned in a 2008 NYPD memo.
King’s hearing on Hezbollah in the US was more about stoking fear than about an actual threat.
The Jewish Community Relations Council has praised Ray Kelly as the best police chief ever. But critics say that Jewish institutional support for the NYPD will harm Jewish-Muslim relations.
NYPD police commissioner is reaching out to Muslims in the wake of reports that show massive spying on Muslims in the Northeast. But many Muslim activists aren’t accepting the invitations.
The latest revelation from the AP is a snapshot of the larger problem of federal tax dollars flowing to anti-Muslim trainings.
Bloomberg continues to stand by NYPD’s ‘guide to Muslims’ and ‘mosque crawlers’ as Newark’s Corey Booker and Yale’s president denounce the program
Muslim community leaders say Islamophobia is deep-seated in the New York Police Department. And they’re not taking it anymore.
The backers of an anti-Muslim film shown to the NYPD are major financial backers of Israel’s settlement project.