Video: My friend frees bird caught in garage

Mourning dove

Baby rabbit

Canada goose goslingMy friend Justin Allen has always been able to pick up wild animals. He sent me these photos– mourning dove, baby rabbit, and Canada gosling– and the video below, under his brand, bigjworks. The animals are all fine. He brought the baby Canada goose back to its parents.
The video is of a phoebe caught in a garage. The end is quite liberating, and brings to mind Emily Dickinson’s famous poem, I was a phoebe — nothing more.

philweiss

1. just
    just
    September 2, 2013, 2:56 pm

Beautiful– you have a kind and gentle friend.

Just beautiful.

2. jon s
    jon s
    September 2, 2013, 3:43 pm

Shana Tova,
    Happy New Year, a year of peace

3. seafoid
    seafoid
    September 2, 2013, 4:33 pm

Judaism is the bird and the garage is Zionism.
    Please help the bird.

MahaneYehude1
      September 3, 2013, 12:26 am

@seafoid: correct – Judaism is the bird, the garage is Zionism and the rabbit is Sara in Qalandia.

seafoid
        September 3, 2013, 11:36 am

Bibi is Ariel Castro.

miriam6
        September 4, 2013, 12:31 pm

Bibi is Ariel Castro.

How utterly tasteless and reductive of you

Seafoid no matter how much you disagree with Zionism as a political ideology , that it what Zionism is – a political ideology

It isn’t a personal pathology Zionists suffer from.

You are actually degrading the Palestinians by portraying them as helpless beings , you are denying them the agency to act in their own interests and to help themselves.

The imposition and support by the so- called international community , of the Oslo Peace Accords in effect meant re- affirming the partition of the territory which had been mandatory Palestine , turning Gaza and the West Bank into a trap, under the premise of conflict resolution i.e. CONTAINMENT of the conflict, rather than leaving the protagonists to find their own solutions

Before Oslo, Israelis and Palestinians had been getting closer together , as Meron Benvenisti the former Mayor of Jerusalem observed, Israel was fast becoming a bi- national state.

annie
        September 4, 2013, 12:54 pm

Bibi is Ariel Castro.

no such luck, the guy just committed suicide in prison, or they say it was suicide. http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/04/justice/ariel-castro-cleveland-kidnapper-death

annie
        September 4, 2013, 12:57 pm

Seafoid …You are actually degrading the Palestinians by portraying them as helpless beings

ah, miriam….that was mahane that wrote the rabbit is Sara in Qalandia. seafoid wrote Judaism is the bird and the garage is Zionism.
        Please help the bird.

pay attention!

eljay
        September 4, 2013, 1:03 pm

>> Your attempt to conflate one deranged human beings’ attack on his unsuspecting victims ignores the fact the political context of the conflict and also ignores the fact that the entire international community , not just Israel , put Gaza in a trap.

Poor ol’ rapist! Why, he’d love nothing more than to set free the woman he has held captive and raped for years but – gosh darnit! – everyone simply FORCES him to keep her chained up in his basement and to keep raping her. Why won’t they let him let her go?! :-(

seafoid
        September 4, 2013, 2:13 pm

“You cannot compare the political conflict between two competing nationalisms Palestinian/ Arab nationalism and Israeli nationalism with the personal pathology Castro acted out.”

Zionism is abuse, Miriam. It’s as much a valid political ideology as beating up women is.

eljay
      September 3, 2013, 12:02 pm

Palestinians are the bird, supremacist “Jewish State” is the garage (built on Palestinian land). The hand of justice has yet to free the former from the latter. I hope it does so before the shovel of hateful and immoral Zio-supremacism bludgeons the bird to death.

iResistDe4iAm
      September 4, 2013, 11:40 am

Here’s Mohammed Assaf celebrating the flying bird (ya tair al tayer) as it flies freely over occupied Palestine:

4. Justpassingby
    Justpassingby
    September 2, 2013, 4:43 pm

Sweet Pictures.

5. Citizen
    Citizen
    September 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Phil.

Emily Dickinson (1830 – 1886)
    I was a Phoebe—nothing more—
    1009

I was a Phoebe—nothing more—
    A Phoebe—nothing less—
    The little note that others dropt
    I fitted into place—

I dwelt too low that any seek—
    Too shy, that any blame—
    A Phoebe makes a little print
    Upon the Floors of Fame—

bintbiba
      September 2, 2013, 8:15 pm

Sweet, sweet, sweet….

marc b.
      September 3, 2013, 9:23 am

brilliant stuff, citizen. interesting times; interesting women. have just read ‘heroines’ by k.zambrano and ‘idols of perversity’ by b.dijkstra on the battle of the sexes being waged in the late 19th/early 20th century. actually still going. (having a daughter changes perspective.) certainly puts freud in a different light, as so many feminist critics have written.

6. miriam6
    miriam6
    September 2, 2013, 7:00 pm

Phil Weiss’s mawkish , somewhat leading.. ? little meditation puts me in mind of ANOTHER equally ardent campaigner for Palestinian rights , – Alice Walker -, who has proven herself just as equally devoted to the cause – not only of the Palestinian people in Gaza , – but equally devoted to the ’cause’ of caged chickens…

Read the one hit wonder novelist in this link , —

-discussing ‘rape’ , ‘the destruction of America’s native peoples’, the slogan ‘Never Again’ ,’ the civil rights movement in America ,’ Gaza and the Palestinians’ and finally…

…..the plight of chickens…..

It’s all part of same grand injustice for bird-brained Alice Walker..

The idea that the people of Palestine are not even supposed to fight back, after everything that’s been done to them, is cruel and inhuman, since protecting one’s self and family and land and livelihood is an instinct we share with all creatures on the planet.

but I will also be flying the colors of Andrew Goodman, James Cheney, and Michael Schwerner, two Jewish young men and one Christian black man who died trying to help us end American apartheid, injustice and brutality, in the South, in Mississippi

We are earthlings, whether we live in Occupied Palestine or in Tel Aviv. Or Northern California, where the abuse and destruction of Native peoples a hundred and fifty years or so ago was similar to what is happening now in Palestine.

But forget the human struggle to shape the world and control one’s destiny..

What has Ms Walker got to say about the equally important injustices suffered by those poor oppressed chickens ?..

Note the similarity of language she uses to describe the suffering endured by Palestinians , Native Americans , murdered civil rights workers etc. with that of the language she uses to describe the plight of the chicken..

And I would want young children especially, who join grown-ups in eating a million chickens an hour, to realize they are eating something precious, beautiful, rare. And that they have a say in changing the way chickens are thought about and raised.

Most chickens are raised under horrible, torturous conditions unworthy of the good heart that exists in many of the small children eating them…

Bird brained Ms Walker drones on with her space cadet ruminations’ on what the chickens can teach us mere sentient human beings…

The mother of chickens is also our own mother.

We belong to her and to each other in ways beyond factory farming and the mindless eating of a “product.”

To reclaim an honorable relationship with the other animals of the planet will make all of us humans begin to feel at home again.

7. miriam6
    miriam6
    September 2, 2013, 8:26 pm

If it is poetry corner this week on Mondoweiss , how about this chilling Ted Hughes poem..

Just to introduce a note of realism about nature red in tooth and claw..

I sit in the top of the wood, my eyes closed.
    Inaction, no falsifying dream
    Between my hooked head and hooked feet:
    Or in sleep rehearse perfect kills and eat.

The convenience of the high trees!
    The air’s buoyancy and the sun’s ray
    Are of advantage to me;
    And the earth’s face upward for my inspection.

My feet are locked upon the rough bark.
    It took the whole of Creation
    To produce my foot, my each feather:
    Now I hold Creation in my foot

Or fly up, and revolve it all slowly –
    I kill where I please because it is all mine.
    There is no sophistry in my body:
    My manners are tearing off heads –

The allotment of death.
    For the one path of my flight is direct
    Through the bones of the living.
    No arguments assert my right:

The sun is behind me.
    Nothing has changed since I began.
    My eye has permitted no change.
    I am going to keep things like this.

Years ago , my A level English lecturer at college told us that Hawk Roosting was the late British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s FAVOURITE poem!

My manners are tearing off heads..

Yikes, it does sound rather Thatcheresque after all…

I’ve been tuning into the progress of these prehistoric in appearance Osprey’s chicks on and off all summer.

Obsidian
      September 3, 2013, 1:22 am

Osprey are special.
      They are monotypic; a single worldwide species, with no sub-species. To put it another way, they get an A+ in evolution.

Woody Tanaka
        September 3, 2013, 12:29 pm

“To put it another way, they get an A+ in evolution.”

Well, one might put it that way if he had no idea what he was talking about.

8. quercus
    quercus
    September 3, 2013, 7:13 am

I needed that. Thank you.

9. Mondowise
    Mondowise
    September 3, 2013, 11:47 am

in the video, Justin calls the bird “little brother”…he gets it…he does indeed. may the world be filled with such humanity, a world where there are no war crimes because war itself is deemed the highest of crimes, a world where we all can pick up our little brothers and hold them dear to our hearts, a world where people want to do that. as a veterinarian, i have many stories much like Justin, the purity and wisdom of peace that animals inherently live by and with is utterly amazing. the animals are my greatest teachers…nothing less.

10. American
    American
    September 3, 2013, 12:41 pm

What a good human your friend is.