Join Mondoweiss on Facebook

Do you check Facebook before Mondoweiss? If so, we’ve got something for you: join Mondoweiss on Facebook so you can look through your friends’ and family’s lives–and get your fix of Israel/Palestine news at the same time.

Mondoweiss is now ramping up our presence on Facebook. We’re posting a lot more frequently and are looking to jumpstart conversation on our Facebook page in addition to the comments page on this site.

All you have to do is click here and then click “like.” You won’t regret it.

Alex Kane
About Alex Kane

Alex Kane is a freelance journalist who focuses on Israel/Palestine and civil liberties. Follow him on Twitter @alexbkane.

1. Justpassingby
    Justpassingby
    October 14, 2013, 5:08 pm

Great move, sharing articles/news on FB are important.

2. German Lefty
    German Lefty
    October 14, 2013, 5:53 pm

Ugh! Facebook? Really?
    Will I miss something if I keep ignoring your Facebook page? Is there additional content on Facebook?

Alex Kane
      October 14, 2013, 10:11 pm

No, no, don’t worry! You won’t miss anything!

bintbiba
        October 15, 2013, 5:14 am

I panicked when I saw this announcement! I am Facebook and Twitter phobic….. Alex, thanks for the reassurance that we won’t be missing out on anything . My thanks to all of the team on Mondoweiss, I can never say it often enough! You do such invaluable work.

3. eGuard
    eGuard
    October 14, 2013, 6:25 pm

I don’t like.

4. RoHa
    RoHa
    October 14, 2013, 9:43 pm

“join Mondoweiss on Facebook”

And send all my personal details to Mossad?

“so you can look through your friends’ and family’s lives”

If they want me to know anything about their lives, they’ll tell me directly.

What is Facebook for?

bintbiba
      October 15, 2013, 5:16 am

RoHa, couldn’t agree more!!

seafoid
        October 15, 2013, 5:50 am

Same here. I wouldn’t go near Facebook with a bargepole.

Facebook is for ad monetization.

German Lefty
      October 15, 2013, 6:12 am

And send all my personal details to Mossad?

LOL. Very good, RoHa.

5. OlegR
    OlegR
    October 15, 2013, 6:19 am

Judging from the comments it appears that being antizionist
    is a cause to hide your face.
    I wonder is it embarrassment or plain paranoia.

German Lefty
      October 15, 2013, 7:12 am

Well, anti-Zionists mainly reject Facebook because we value human rights. This doesn’t only include the human rights of Palestinians but also the human right to privacy. By refraining from posting on Facebook, we exercise this right.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 8:20 am

There is no contradiction in having a facebook account and retaining a
        level of privacy. Simply don’t post what you don’t want to be published.
        The platform does not require legal identification.
        Though obviously i would like to know who am i talking to.
        Seeing a face as opposed to an anonymous nickname tends to contribute to a debate in my experience.

German Lefty
        October 15, 2013, 8:29 am

Well, where can we see YOUR face, then? Come on, give us a link to a photo of yours.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 9:09 am

I have made comments on MW facebook i am sure you can look some of them up.
        I would expect reciprocity though.

bintbiba
      October 15, 2013, 7:30 am

And why, pray…o wise one!….would I not be antizionist? They stole my parents’ legacy, their life’s work, our property, bank account, land, identity.
      I don’t see anywhere that it is illegal to be antizionist. Until they mend their ways and join the self respecting, law abiding nations, i shall go on being antizionist…. which by the way does not embarrass me one little bit. Everyone knows who I am ,who my father was, and what we stand for.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 7:52 am

bintbiba i have no problem with you being antizionist .You are a Palestinian Arab correct, (or of ancestry) so it’s perfectly logical and understandable.

I wonder about the seeming connection between being one and wanting to hide your face behind the wall of internet anonymity.

bintbiba
        October 15, 2013, 8:54 am

Oleg, I will gladly send you a picture and cv if you wish .I am a very private person, but welcome one to one interaction. I have nothing to hide. How do you know I won’t send you a photo of when i was young and gorgeous? I am now 78 years old. But I was 12-13 when my parents had to flee with us. They would never have left had it not been for us kids.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 9:17 am

Yes i just read your profile. That’s public enough for me.It gives me enough context and information.
        I don’t need a CV i need a sense of person on the other side of the line.
        Most of the commentators here (especially the loudmouthed ones) don’t provide anything at all.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 9:31 am

Would i be correct in assuming that your family were upper class Palestinian
        from Jerusalem.
        And a christian as well?

bintbiba
        October 15, 2013, 10:21 am

What does that have to do with anything, Oleg. Upper class ? I am a non believer …. in social strata. Organised religion has not been my choice since I was in my early teens. Humanism.. Morality and ethical mores do exist without the need for myth and fairy tales!
        It has been mentioned before , class is something you’re born with.. not from.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 10:29 am

I asked it because i wanted to check myself.
        When i read your profile this is what sprang to mind.I wanted to see if i can rely on such hunches which are based on my prior knowledge of the conflict or was it too limited to make such assumptions.

I did not mean to offend if that’s what happened.

bintbiba
        October 15, 2013, 10:39 am

No offense, Oleg. Just speaking my mind. Besides, heaven and/or hell are in the here and now. No need for living in the fear or anticipation of the delights
        and/or torments of an afterlife .

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 11:03 am

Amen to that.

Shmuel
      October 15, 2013, 7:50 am

I wonder is it embarrassment or plain paranoia.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 7:56 am

There are plenty of commentators here that never were and never plan to go to Israel.
        Besides Philip Weiss (and the rest of the mods) do it routinely and i don’t think they ever had a problem.So either Shin Bet are really lousy at their job or simply don’t care enough.

So i don’t think it’s quite that.

Shmuel
        October 15, 2013, 8:19 am

And there are plenty who have and/or plan to – and of course it’s not just Israel, but the OT as well.

Phil is out there in a big way, and facebook probably wouldn’t make much of a difference anyway. I don’t know about the others’ experiences. From stories I’ve heard from many activists, Jews tend to have an easier time than non-Jews (Palestinians and Arabs worst of all), and you never know when you might be targeted, or the source/reason for it.

So either Shin Bet are really lousy at their job or simply don’t care enough.

Since it’s a matter of political harassment rather than actual security concerns, there’s no need to be thorough (nor does the Shabak have the resources for such things). Random intimidation works just as well — better in fact. Those who make it easier, take an unnecessary risk.

OlegR
        October 15, 2013, 8:27 am

More importantly facebook has a lot less moderation.

amigo
        October 15, 2013, 10:44 am

“Like i said earlier in my experience an open debate when people know who they talk to is a more productive one certainly more enjoyable.
        People who hide their “face” look as if they have something to hide (sorry for the tautology) which makes me a lot less receptive to anything they have to say.” olegless R.

So is that why idf thugs with masks attack Palestinian villages at night.

Or criminal settlers burn Olive trees with their faces hidden.

We don,t need to see your face Oleg.It is written in every post you place here.

It is the face of a racist setter thief and bigot.

hophmi
        October 15, 2013, 11:33 am

“How about the quite reasonable fear that they will be harassed and/or deported the next time they try to visit Israel or the OT. Not that the Shabak is not all-knowing, but there’s no need to make it that easy for them.”

Max and Phil seem to have no trouble getting in repeatedly.

Woody Tanaka
        October 15, 2013, 11:40 am

“Max and Phil seem to have no trouble getting in repeatedly.”

And others have not. Others have had the terrorists in uniform at Ben Guiron airport break into their email.

Shmuel
        October 15, 2013, 11:41 am

Max and Phil seem to have no trouble getting in repeatedly.

Max and Phil are both Jewish and not the only activists in the world. There are no fixed rules, but plenty of activists do have trouble. I believe some cases have even been reported at a blog called Mondoweiss. You may have heard of it.

Woody Tanaka
      October 15, 2013, 11:10 am

“Judging from the comments it appears that being antizionist
      is a cause to hide your face.
      I wonder is it embarrassment or plain paranoia.”

For anyone in America, it’s good sense. This place is infested with zionists. Who wants to lose a job or a promotion because the boss follows that evil ideology?

braciole
      October 15, 2013, 1:27 pm

OlegR – you have that the wrong way round – being a Zionist is a cause to hide your face except in the apartheid state where the majority are racists. Zionism is racism as it uniquely privileges Jews and encourages/enables anti-Semitism.

6. eljay
    eljay
    October 15, 2013, 7:27 am

>> Judging from the comments it appears that being antizionist is a cause to hide your face. I wonder is it embarrassment or plain paranoia.

I’d call it self-preservation, given the Zio-supremacist propensity for routinely destroying or otherwise making miserable the lives of people who have spoken out against Jewish supremacism, land theft and colonialism (to name just a few acts of Zio-supremacist injustice and immorality).

7. Frankie P
    Frankie P
    October 15, 2013, 7:44 am

Shoutout to danaa, MRW, and whoever else has availed themselves of the blog, can’t for the life of me remember its name, that covers related issues that may infringe on comments rules of mondoweiss. Please reply with the name, and I thank you in advance for your help.

FPM

annie
      October 15, 2013, 12:02 pm

frankie. just google ‘mondoweiss friendfeed’, sean’s blog.

Frankie P
        October 15, 2013, 6:08 pm

I thank you, Annie Robbins.

FPM

8. eljay
    eljay
    October 15, 2013, 8:13 am

>> Paranoia it is then.

Concern about backlash from hateful and immoral Zio-supremacists is justifiable.

Paranoia is what Zio-supremacists experience:

Paranoia: 1.A mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance …