Pro-Israel Facebook page is titled, ‘Death to Dianna Buttu’

News
Diana Buttu

Diana Buttu

A new Facebook page is titled “Death to Dianna Buttu.” The one name I can find on the page is Isaac Ariel, of Brooklyn.

Diana Buttu is a prominent Palestinian-Canadian lawyer and advocate. She once was an adviser to the PLO. She was lately interviewed on CNN about the Gaza onslaught.

Here is a screenshot, be sure to catch the “About” section:

buttufb2

Ariel posts on the page:

Lets say god forbid israel didnt have the iron dome and hundrets of israelis god forbid got killed by hamas missles and rockets…would all these arabs be protesting?? If there was even damage on both sides would the arabs still say that israel is committing war crimes???Israel uses there money and aid to provide safety for there citizens! On the other hand the palestinians use there aid to build tunnels and cause terror!! Whos the real coward in this situation?? Its about time we fight back!! Are the muslims really worried about there fellow muslims dying??? So then why havent there been any protests against the 170000 people that died in syria in the last 3 years??? The arabs and the world knows the truth but antisemetism and hatred will never leave there blood! Please continue to pray for our soldiers! God is with us and history has proven it!!

philweiss

1. seafoid
    seafoid on July 26, 2014, 3:22 pm

Orthodox education remains a concern. Torah is fine but most jobs other than shatnez inspector require proficiency in spelling.

• just
      just on July 26, 2014, 3:32 pm

heh, seafoid.

Seriously though, I know we’re all about free speech, but isn’t this incitement/hate speech?

• seafoid
        seafoid on July 26, 2014, 3:39 pm

It’s standard bot procedure in the face of failing hasbara. They can dish it out but they can’t take it.

• piotr
        piotr on July 26, 2014, 7:49 pm

I thought that bots should mangle grammar and leave the spelling intact. Shouldn’t IDF supply them with English spell checkers? But this is IDF for you. After decades of doing hardly anything else, they do not have equipment to set properly functioning roadblocks. “Elite commandoes” get beaten up by civilians. And bots without spell checkers.

P.S. Can anything be deduced about the religion of the ranter? Many orthodox refrain from writing “God” or “god”, using G..d or Hashem. Is it different for “national Orthodox”? Or simply a heavily inebriated Reform Jew?

• Marnie
        Marnie on July 27, 2014, 6:59 am

Is using God’s name in over and over in this way supposed to detract from this call to murder? Can this bastard be arrested for incitement? Why do the orthodox so very often use the most violent expressions possible in their arguments? ORGANIZED (OR NOT SO ORGANIZED) RELIGION IS FOR LUNATICS. Sorry for the caps but this really, really makes me furious.

Ms. Butto – I’m so very sorry for this –

• Susie Kneedler
        Susie Kneedler on July 26, 2014, 4:34 pm

I’ve reported this criminal page to Facebook, because it is “Assault” under the law, threatening attack. Here’s how everyone can report this threat:

Facebook’s Directions: “How do I report an abusive Page?”

“To report an abusive Page:

Go to the Page you want to report [https://www.facebook.com/Deathtodiannabuttu/info]

Click *** on the Page’s cover photo [Upper Right, to the right of ‘Message’]
        Select Report Page and follow the on-screen instructions
        We’ll review the Page and remove anything that doesn’t follow the Facebook Community Standards. We may also warn or disable the person responsible.”

• Susie Kneedler
        Susie Kneedler on July 26, 2014, 5:16 pm

People who don’t have a Facebook account can report this crime to FB management here :

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/274459462613911 (the Link for “Other abuse or harrassment” is near the bottom)

“Report a Violation of the Facebook Terms
        Please use this form to report violations of the Facebook Terms. If you can’t see the content you’re trying to report, please ask a friend for help.

What issue are you trying to report?

My account is hacked
        Someone is pretending to be me….

* Other abuse or harrassment [near the end of the list]

Do you have a Facebook account?

Your contact email address

Have many pieces of content do you want to report? [You can copy links here in #1-5.]

Send”

• Daniel Rich
        Daniel Rich on July 27, 2014, 4:14 am

@ Suzie,

No FB acc, but sent complaint via ur link.

We gotta sticktogether stick together.

:[]:

• Susie Kneedler
        Susie Kneedler on July 27, 2014, 9:56 am

Thanks, Daniel: love the “:[]:” and knowing we’re all working together.

I’m mystified at the difference between FB’s first reaction–“We reviewed the Page you reported for containing credible threat of violence and found it doesn’t violate our Community Standards”–and its second thoughts, the email everyone else received too: “We revised our decision on your report of Death to Dianna buttu….Since it violated our Community Standards, we removed it.” Strange lapse.

So, because FB’s email is “noreply,” I asked about the error and correction here: https://www.facebook.com/help/181495968648557/. At the bottom of the page, I clicked “No,” to “Was the content on this page helpful to you?” then, clicked “Other.” A box saying “Tell us more” popped up.

• Kathryn
        Kathryn on July 27, 2014, 12:41 pm

This is a message I recieved from FB admin this AM:
        You reported Death to Dianna buttu for containing credible threat of violence.
        Status This Page was removed
        Details
        We reviewed the Page you reported for containing credible threat of violence. Since it violated our Community Standards, we removed it. Thanks for your report. We let Death to Dianna buttu know that their Page has been removed, but not who reported it.
        We encourage people on Facebook to challenge ideas, institutions, events, and practices in the interest of free discourse. Humor or satire or related social commentary is equally permissible, but we advise everyone to be mindful of the diverse sensibilities of the people who use Facebook.
        Report Date Yesterday
        Owner Death to Dianna buttu
        Reason Credible Threat of Violence

• elephantine
        elephantine on July 27, 2014, 8:51 pm

I personally think some of these hateful pages should not be reported. For the simple reason that once reported they are taken down, which might seem like a good thing but then all the self incriminating evidence is gone. In many ways, it’s much better to let these people out themselves and dig themselves a deeper hole. Removing the page doesn’t let everyone out there see for themselves what these lunatics are about. Let them expose themselves, they are the best weapon against themselves!

2. Boomer
    Boomer on July 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

I don’t use Facebook, or respect it, but I’m surprised that it would allow death threats or solicitation.

• Kay24
      Kay24 on July 26, 2014, 3:48 pm

I am sure there are ways to bring this to their attention, and he should be penalized.

• PeterAgur
        PeterAgur on July 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

You can report it to FB as hate speech, which I just did. My experience with FB makes me think they don’t really read the page, but only take it seriously if there are numerous reports, so you should do the same.

3. pineywoodslim
    pineywoodslim on July 26, 2014, 3:28 pm

This guy has threatened her.

No reason he shouldn’t be arrested and prosecuted.

4. Kay24
    Kay24 on July 26, 2014, 3:47 pm

He hold his baby in his arms, seeing Palestinian babies being blown up, and cannot feel/understand the tragedy? It simply shows his ignorance, racism, and hatred.
    It seems these monsters can dish out, but cannot take it.
    They want to, like Israel, see criticism and the truth gone.
    He is a damn coward. He is picking on Diana through Facebook. If he feels so strongly for Israel, he should pack his family, and live there, he should serve his country and join in the genocide against the Palestinians. His rage would be appreciated by the IDF. He shares the same psyche.

5. American
    American on July 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Not shocked . There are a lot of very militant zionist in this country….they are all over the net. They get especially active and threatening when Israel acts up.

• DaBakr
      DaBakr on July 26, 2014, 5:32 pm

I have to agree. When Israel engages I see a spike in extremely radical , often crazed and bigoted comments from pro-Zionists. But that could also speak to the criticism that the I/P conflict is presented in the world media as if its a gladitorial match and not an existential conflict for both parties involved.

• kalithea
        kalithea on July 26, 2014, 7:59 pm

Israel has hundreds of nukes and one of the largest military arsenals. Existential for both sides my ass! The Palestinians are the ones being massacred!

6. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich on July 26, 2014, 4:08 pm
    • kalithea
      kalithea on July 26, 2014, 7:56 pm

There is only one monster responsible for this apocalyptic destruction – Zionism.

• Egbert
      Egbert on July 27, 2014, 4:11 am

The ‘ceasefire’ isn’t what you and I would understand by ‘cease firing’. It is merely a reduction in intensity, allowing provocative strikes to be made. Israel then whines that Hamas broke the (fake) ceasefire.

• just
        just on July 27, 2014, 4:35 am

True, Egbert.

7. oldgeezer
    oldgeezer on July 26, 2014, 4:13 pm

I truly can’t comprehend how people such as this (which would include the entire GoI cabinet at a bare minimum) consider themselves to be any different or better than those they hate. Two peas in a pod. I guess it’s easy if you are racist to the core.

8. DaBakr
    DaBakr on July 26, 2014, 4:17 pm

its reads like the work of a thirteen year old kid. there isn’t even a reference to who Ms. Buttu is . Another molehill out of a marble. She is no shrinking violet and I am sure she can handle a stupid FB label such as this. She might even welcome it to make a point about Zionists. And I saw video of Muslims screaming “death to Jews” and “hitler was right” in The Hague from yesterday. Its all pretty ugly stuff. Embarrassing at the very least.

9. hophmi
    hophmi on July 26, 2014, 4:54 pm

I reported it for hate speech. I assume you’ll report here every time a page goes up wishing for death to Jews or Israelis. There have been many such examples, with far more followers than this one.

• Walid
      Walid on July 26, 2014, 5:10 pm

I’ve heard lots of “death to Israel” but have yet to hear a single “death to Jews” or “death to Israelis”. The ill-wishes are aimed at the Israeli regime but not at the Israeli or Jewish people.

• Janet Jupiter
        Janet Jupiter on July 27, 2014, 12:23 am

Semantics Walid. semantics

• Marnie
        Marnie on July 27, 2014, 7:28 am

It appears that disagreeing with the state of israel, zionism and individual israeli’s is now tantamount to “Death to the Jews” and “Death to israelis” because that’s what they choose to hear. I think there was a time, even some time during my lifetime, when disagreement did not invoke…..never mind, people are stupid, clannish, panicky and dangerous. Individuals are okay as they can’t do as much damage but that herd mentality is a motherf………

• oldgeezer
      oldgeezer on July 26, 2014, 6:15 pm

I actually have and would/will again. No hesitation. I can hate your views, even hate you but beyond the odd mean word (which I usually regret) my desire is no death on either side.
      You have seen much worse… Not sure about worse. Murder is murder. But yes I’ve seen a lot on both sides.

I chose to reply to you but that’s because our experiences are the reason that I feel Debakr’s comments regarding it being a molehill are way off base. It seems to be getting ever more common. It’s not isolate. And unless it’s stopped then…. Well we see where it led years ago.

• kalithea
      kalithea on July 26, 2014, 7:43 pm

You reported it? I’m supposed to believe this coming from a hasbara enabler.

Have you protested the “Death to Arabs” graffiti your comrades are spray painting everywhere? Have you demonstrated against the price tag hate crimes they commit against Palestinians?

• Donald
        Donald on July 26, 2014, 11:44 pm

“I’m supposed to believe this coming from a hasbara enabler.”

I believe it. Hophmi reacts with anger or sarcasm at almost every criticism made of Israeli war crimes but on certain issues, like hate speech, he’s pretty consistent in his condemnation.

• hophmi
        hophmi on July 27, 2014, 2:08 am

Yes, many times. I’ve been confronting people who engaged in anti-Arab racism since I was a freshman in high school. You?

• Donald
        Donald on July 27, 2014, 12:20 pm

“You?”

Is that aimed at me after I defended you on this? Or kalithea?

In high school and up until my mid 20’s I was a Zionist and thought Israel was the good guy, so the issue of anti-Arab racism was virtually invisible to me because I shared the anti-Arab view on the I/P conflict and assumed that there was just something wrong with those people. Bigots don’t necessarily know that they are bigots, as I can testify from personal experience. But anyway, outside of rare discussions of Israel or terrorism, the day to day bigotry where I grew up was directed against blacks. I did speak up against that.

• hophmi
        hophmi on July 27, 2014, 4:01 pm

It’s aimed at kalithea, obviously.

• Donald
        Donald on July 27, 2014, 10:40 pm

Okay, good. Defending you on this was a matter of principle–there’s enough real (and very heated) disagreements around here without having to assume things that just aren’t true about our opponents. Your record on opposing hate speech is pretty clear.

10. Justpassingby
    Justpassingby on July 26, 2014, 4:56 pm

Israel news report 2 palestinians in hospital after being attacked in the WB.

11. lonely rico
    lonely rico on July 26, 2014, 8:02 pm

I would like to try and reply to Mr. Ariel.
    Good question –
    “Whos the real coward in this situation??”
    And I will try to answer it,
    and you too must answer –
    ONE PALESTINIAN CHILD KILLED EVERY 4 DAYS ! (since 2001), 13 BITTER YEARS
    Please answer the question.
    Thank you.

12. jewishgoyim
    jewishgoyim on July 26, 2014, 8:47 pm

Are murder incitements part of facebook’s user’s agreement? Or are they just ok against people critical of Israel?

I mean WTF? Don’t they moderate anything starting by “death to”?
    F—-ers!

• ritzl
      ritzl on July 27, 2014, 5:16 am

I wonder how long a “Death to Mark Zuckerberg” page would last?

• oldgeezer
        oldgeezer on July 27, 2014, 6:12 am

Easy question. Long enough to send a swat team to kick in the door. Probably due more to being a 1%’er than anything else though.

I stumbled across this. Powerful and moving if you haven’t seen it.

13. Sycamores
    Sycamores on July 26, 2014, 8:59 pm

beside the interviewed on CNN Dianna Buttu was on Al Jazeera a few days ago july 24th

Inside Story

Has Israel committed war crimes in Gaza?

Presenter: Adrian Finighan

Guests:

Diana Buttu – Former Legal Adviser to the Palestinian Negotiating Team

Hillel Neuer – Executive Director of UN Watch

Bill Van Esveld – Israel and Palestine Researcher at Human Rights Watch

14. Sycamores
    Sycamores on July 26, 2014, 9:07 pm

i believe the Facebook page is down

• Sycamores
      Sycamores on July 26, 2014, 9:40 pm

just seen Jareer Kassis tweet retweeted by Mondoweiss

Now Facebook has revised their decision on the "death to @dianabuttu page". Cc @Mondoweiss pic.twitter.com/vibArLzX9w— Jareer Kassis (@JareerKassis) July 26, 2014

• hophmi
        hophmi on July 27, 2014, 2:18 am

I got a message from facebook that it was removed as hate speech after I reported it. It took two tries.

• Marnie
        Marnie on July 27, 2014, 8:47 am

You did it all by yourself? Maybe you can get the IDF to stop bombing Gaza!

15. jewishgoyim
    jewishgoyim on July 26, 2014, 9:46 pm

And still nothing from Phil about Rula Jebreal. I just don’t get it.

16. Marnie
    Marnie on July 27, 2014, 7:25 am

To me there’s no difference between Ariel’s God-inspired, hate-filled rant than there is between a young man or woman shouting “Allahu Akhbar” before detonating their device. I cease to be amazed at the blood curdling thoughts of the “religious”. What I’ve been hearing all my life must be true, religion is for idiots. I did not say God, I said RELIGION and they are not nor have they ever been the same thing, like zionist and judaism, not the same thing and never were.

17. DICKERSON3870
    DICKERSON3870 on July 27, 2014, 9:18 pm

RE: “A new Facebook page is titled ‘Death to Dianna Buttu’. The one name I can find on the page is Isaac Ariel, of Brooklyn.” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: Man, that Isaac Ariel seems to be a real down-to- earth sweetie. What makes this especially surprising is that he believes G_d is on his (and Israel’s) side, and history has proven it. Normally, when with a person (or a country) is convinced that G_d is on their side; they get a ‘swelled head’, begin feeling extremely “special” and develop incredibly godawful hubris. This results in their feeling so superior to others that they regularly deprecate them during long rants using shockingly ugly language.

ALSO SEE: “Is There a Way Beyond Israeli Madness?” [Will the Chosen People and the Exceptional People Go Down Together?] ~ by John Grant, Counterpunch, 8/31/12

[EXCERPTS]

“The patient, by the name of Israel, walks into the room and instantly bursts into a tirade of arguments conclusively proving his credentials, and says that he is better than everyone else.”
    – Ofer Grosbard, “Israel On The Couch: The Psychology of the Peace Process”

The problem Americans have with Israel is that the region it exists in is in the midst of a major political sea change, while Israel is frozen in time and holding on to its militarist, right-wing policies of extending settlements in the West Bank. It’s a policy that harks back to the ideas of the British-trained militarist Ze’ev Jabotinsky’s Iron Wall, which is based on the idea a live-and-let-live policy between Jews and Arabs is impossible and, thus, Jews must militarily control and repress Palestinians . . .
    . . . How does a people turn back a racially-oriented demonization program with roots that extend back many decades? How do you ratchet down a nation’s narcissism so people are able to simply see the other as a human being? . . .
    . . . On our part, Americans and the United States need to stop being a permissive yes-man and begin to show Israel some tough love. We need more US criticism of Israel. No doubt this approach will be received with gales of cynical laughter from hardliners … but so what?
    In my mind, the Israeli narcissistic and arrogant mindset would benefit from a little Buddhist detachment, more of the posture that sees the world not of separate individual selves and egos but of human beings as part of a larger flow of life. The Buddhists call the self-obsessed, separatist state-of-mind [i.e. the “pale” of Israel surrounded by Ze’ev Jabotinsky’s Iron Wall – J.L.D.] that Israel thrives on and defends with weapons as “the illusory self.”
    “Once one identifies with a permanent self-concept, the pride and craving adhering to this become the pivot from which an egocentric world arises,” writes Gay Watson, a psychotherapist attuned to Buddhism.
    David Loy puts it this way: “To become completely groundless is also to become completely grounded, not in some particular, but in the whole network of interdependent relations that constitute the world.”
    I’m not suggesting Israel become a Buddhist nation. The point is for Israelis, and more important Americans, to figure a way out of the worsening condition of “us versus them” to avoid the need to obliterate them and set off a war that no one really wants. The point is to re-shape our minds to make “the other” less threatening to permit talking.
    I’m not holding my breath that Benjamin Netanyahu and Avigdor Lieberman are going to become peace activists.
    But I’m done as an American being a silent stooge while Israeli militarist madness fuels hatred and sets the stage for war.

ENTIRE COMMENTARY – http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/31/is-there-a-way-beyond-israeli-madness/