Ocasio-Cortez hedges criticisms of Israel– ‘I may not use the right words’

US Politics

Rising Democratic star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the congressperson-to-be for a district in the Bronx and Queens, famously tweeted “This is a massacre,” after Israel’s slaughter of 60 Gazans on May 14, and said Democrats must not be silent anymore about Israeli human rights violations, and opposed the embassy move. Since her surprise victory over a Democratic leader in the primary last month, she’s gotten a lot of pushback from the establishment.

More came on Friday night on PBS Firing Line, and Ocasio-Cortez seemed to walk back her comments. She wrote that tweet as an “activist,” she said — she’s not an activist anymore, now she’s about to be a congressperson representing a broad district (with many Zionist Jews in it), and she promised to “learn and evolve.” Ocasio-Cortez vowed that she supports the two-state solution, she seemed flustered when asked why she used the term “occupation,” and she apologized for herself, saying that she’s not an expert on Middle East issues. “I may not use the right words.”

Here’s the three-minute exchange. Margaret Hoover (a veteran of the Bush White House) says that Ocasio-Cortez’s “massacre” tweet became controversial, then asks:

What is your position on Israel?

AOC: Well, I believe absolutely in Israel’s right to exist. I am a proponent of the two state solution. And for me this is not a referendum I think on the state of Israel. For me, the lens through which I saw this incident, as an activist, as an organizer: If 60 people were killed in Ferguson, Missouri, if 60 people were killed in the South Bronx– unarmed– 60 people were killed in Puerto Rico, I just look at that incident more through– through just, as an incident and to me it would just be completely unacceptable if that happened on our shores. But–

Of course the dynamic there in terms of geo politics and the Middle East is very different from people expressing their First Amendment right to protest.

AOC: Well, yes, but I also think that what people are starting to see in the occupation of Palestine is just an increasing crisis of humanitarian conditions and that to me is just where I tend to come from on this issue.

You use the term the occupation of Palestine, what did you mean by that?

AOC: Oh– I think, what I meant is that the settlements that are increasing in some of these areas and places where Palestinians are experiencing difficulty in access to housing and homes.

Do you think you can expand on that?

AOC: Yeah I think — I am not the expert on geo-politics on this issue. You now, for me, I’m a firm believer in finding a two-state solution in this issue [Hoover nods approvingly]. And I’m happy to sit down with leaders on both of these… for me, I just look at things through a human rights lens, and I may not use the right words– I know this is a very intense issue.

That’s very honest and you’re gong to — and when you get to Washington and you’re an elected member of Congress you’ll have an opportunity to talk to people on all sides and visit Israel and visit the West Bank.

AOC: Absolutely. And especially with the district that I represent, I come from the South Bronx, I come from a Puerto Rican background. And Middle Eastern politics is not exactly at my kitchen table every night. But I also recognize that this is an intensely-important issue for people in my district, for Americans across the country. And I think at least what is important to communicate is that I am willing to listen. And that I’m willing to learn and evolve on this issue as I think many Americans are.

BTW, Hoover worked in the Bush administration but is also a supporter of some liberal causes.

Thanks to Ofer Neiman.

philweiss

1. Donald
    Donald
    July 15, 2018, 12:48 pm

You were saying something about hasbara being dead, I believe? If AOC is feeling the pressure to be PEP, then reports of its death seem greatly exaggerated.

Eric
      July 21, 2018, 4:23 am

They did the same thing to Obama after the false hope Cairo speech and it worked like a charm. You don’t loosen the death grip of the most powerful Lobby in human history by electing a 28 year old idealist and expecting instant results. After all, weren’t we all idealists in our youth? The mortgage payments and need to keep working changed all that.

2. eljay
    eljay
    July 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

… Ocasio-Cortez is just 28 and it shows. Give her a couple years and I am sure she will show more firmness and strength on these answers. Oh, and wait till she visits “Israel and… the West Bank.” …

She may show more firmness and strength or – given that she “believe[s] absolutely in Israel’s right to exist”, is “a proponent of the two state solution” and is “a firm believer in finding a two-state solution in this issue” – she may as a Congresswoman come to the conclusion that there’s “no light between” Israel and the U.S. because of their “shared common values”.

July 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Eljay: given that she “believe[s] absolutely in Israel’s right to exist”, is “a proponent of the two state solution”
      —————————————

[Eljay:] As you know – and I know you know this – I advocate a solution comprising two secular and democratic state.

* * *
      [Eljay:] IMO a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict should (perhaps too obviously) include Israel.

What it shouldn’t include is any type of supremacist state, including religion-supremacist “Jewish State”.

Has she said or implied anything about a Jewish supremacist state?

eljay
        July 15, 2018, 6:28 pm

|| Sibiriak: … Support for Israel’s continued existence and a two state solution is perfectly compatible with the BDS movement. … ||

I agree.

|| … In fact, it’s perfectly compatible with your own finely-honed anti-Zionist position as well. … ||

I agree.

|| … Has she said or implied anything about a Jewish supremacist state? ||

I’ve made it very clear that I oppose any type of supremacist state including a “Jewish State”. Has she said or implied the same? Didn’t think so.

Like I said: She may show more firmness and strength…or she may not.

July 15, 2018, 8:27 pm

Sibiriak,

Of course it is. Avnery and a bunch of “Labor” and our very own Johnny S all support a boycott of the post-1967 territories. It’s perfect as a strategy for keeping the loot of the Nakba and avoiding any accounting (called ‘peace’.)

That’s why “supporting” BDS means jackshit by itself.

July 15, 2018, 10:06 pm

Eljay: I’ve made it very clear that I oppose any type of supremacist state including a “Jewish State”. Has she said or implied the same? Didn’t think so
        ———————–

July 15, 2018, 10:08 pm

echinococcus: Avnery and a bunch of “Labor” and our very own Johnny S all support a boycott of the post-1967 territories
        ————————————————————-

I’m talking about the official BDS movement which does NOT restrict itself to post-1967 territories.

July 15, 2018, 11:45 pm

Sibiriak

I know, and that does not carry a lot of weight, not so much because the official BDS movement is a bunch of non-clandestine orgs under Zionist and PA occupation but because the official movement is mainly directed by local, Western persons with diverse motivations. So the practical results depend more on their local interests than anything else. Also, there is no “official BDS” when it comes to determining targets and objectives for each boycotter.

So again, “supporting BDS” in the abstract doesn’t mean that much, even though every inch is welcome, even coming from Zionists with their inimical agenda.

eljay
        July 16, 2018, 7:45 am

|| Sibiriak: … C’mon Eljay, her entire life, her entire record, makes it clear that she opposes racism and ethnic supremacism.

For you to suggest otherwise, absent even a shred of evidence, is grossly unfair if not slanderous. ||

I neither wrote nor suggested that up to now (“her entire life, her entire record”) Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has not opposed racism and ethnic supremacism. For you to suggest otherwise, absent even a shred of evidence, is grossly unfair if not slanderous.

What happens to her opinions on various issues once she is elected to Congress and, like all politicians, is subjected to intense pressure from special-interest groups may be known to you but it is unknown to me.

July 16, 2018, 8:33 am

Eljay: I neither wrote nor suggested that up to now (“her entire life, her entire record”) Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has not opposed racism and ethnic supremacism
        —————————

Yes, you DID. If Ocasio-Cortez has consistently opposed racism and ethnic supremacism, then she has made perfectly clear her opposition to racist, supremacists states.

You, however, wrote:

But IN FACT her whole life and record makes her opposition to racism and supremacism clear, so she has in fact said or implied the same. Her opposition to supremacism is not a whit less clear than yours.

Your snide “didn’t think so” is, therefore, completely unwarranted.

eljay
        July 16, 2018, 9:59 am

|| Sibiriak @ July 16, 2018, 8:33 am ||

I don’t know why you’ve gotten your panties into such a knot, but your unwarranted attacks on me continue to be unwarranted.

In my original comment I mused about whether Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s opinion on I-P might or might not change. I mused about what will happen because I don’t know what will happen. You seem to know with absolute certainty that her opinion on I-P will never change. Goody for you.

You chose to make a comparison between her and me so I asked you if – as I have done – she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a “Jewish State”. You’ve done a lot of singing and dancing in response, but you’ve yet to link to a quote in which she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a “Jewish State”.

If you are able to provide a link to a quote in which she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a “Jewish State”, I will retract and apologize for my “snide ‘didn’t think so‘” retort. If you’re not able to do so and choose instead to continue with your unwarranted attacks, I will simply ignore you.

July 16, 2018, 10:58 am

eljay: You seem to know with absolute certainty that her opinion on I-P will never change.
        ——————————————–

Nonsense. I never said or implied such a thing.

[eljay: ] …I asked you if – as I have done – she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a “Jewish State”

Dear eljay, have done nothing of the sort. YOU, yes YOU, do NOT oppose the existence of Israel as a Jewish state.

So back to the original issue– yes she has made it perfectly clear that she opposes racism and ethnic supremacism in all its forms, which makes it perfectly clear that she opposes a racist, supremacist Jewish state.

eljay
        July 16, 2018, 11:10 am

|| eljay: … If you are able to provide a link to a quote in which she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a “Jewish State” … ||

|| Sibiriak @ July 16, 2018, 10:58 am ||

Didn’t think so. And, so, I will ignore anything further from you in this thread.  :-)

July 16, 2018, 11:33 am

Eljay,

You are demanding that I produce a quote in which she has made it clear that she opposes the existence of Israel as a Jewish State, when you yourself do not oppose the existence of Israel as a Jewish state?

Wtf?

To repeat: “YOU, eljay, have stated explicitly that you are okay with Israel being a Jewish state, as long as its not a supremacist state.”.

To repeat: Ocasio-Cortez –through her life and work and consistent dedication to progressive issues– has made it perfectly clear that she opposes racism and ethnic supremacism in all its forms.

3. Kay24
    Kay24
    July 15, 2018, 1:02 pm

This was predictable. Their independency seems to get lost when it comes to the big election, and they need the support of AIPAC and others, to win. Either that or she has been advised by the Democratic party, to tone it down.

genesto
      July 16, 2018, 12:24 pm

They DON’T need the support of AIPAC to win anymore! That’s what Bernie’s campaign proved. He amassed a large warchest from individual $27 (more or less) donations, telling the AIPAC billionaires that he didn’t need their money to win. And, if he didn’t have a corrupt, HRC-controlled Democratic Party to fight, he very likely WOULD have been President now.

Cortez impresses me as someone that truly wants to do the right thing, but is facing massive pressure from Zionists in her district, and beyond, to toe the line on Israel/Palestine or else. If she gets the kind of support, both financial and political, that she needs from our side to stave off this pressure, I believe she will take the proper political course (i.e. one that supports Palestinian justice and freedom, but likely not as strongly as we would prefer) and win the election.

Kay24
        July 16, 2018, 4:58 pm

I hope you are right.

4. Spring Renouncer
    Spring Renouncer
    July 15, 2018, 1:07 pm

Sad.

5. July 15, 2018, 1:22 pm

Chip chip chip away is the game plan for making sure Ocasio doesn’t end up being the poster girl for the Palestinian cause in US politics.

The Zios are circling and will soon have their hooks in her – perhaps an Aipac speech next year – a few Jewish fund raisers in the interim – recommended Jewish aides as part of her inner circle of advisors – and dont forget the avalanche of letters and emails from Zionists demanding her time and attention on Jewish/Israeli issues and causes.

If she pushes back on any of it she’s an antisemite and we all know how that ends for non-Jews accused of antisemitism.

Not sure a newbie 28 yr old can handle the well oiled hasbara machine which includes high ranking Dems and the MSM.

Hoping the DSA provides some sort of counterweight assuming they have any pull over Ocasio now that’s she been elected.

July 15, 2018, 7:58 pm

How can the DSA provide any “counterweight” if they already agreed to run a candidate within the Democrat party –and obviously want her to “win” –whatever that means?

6. echinococcus
    July 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Put not your trust in any Democrat, in whom there is no help. Ever.
    This is a class society, and no party or “party” can serve two enemy classes at the same time.

7. Ossinev
    Ossinev
    July 15, 2018, 2:03 pm

Will wait and see but on first read sounds like she has been hastily nobbled by the Israeli First “Patriots” LOL in the US of A.

Citizen
      July 16, 2018, 7:43 am

hobbled

July 16, 2018, 9:58 pm

Nobbled, too. You don’t look like a poney race guy.

Citizen
        July 17, 2018, 7:48 am

Sorry, pardon my ignorance–I didn’t even know nobble was a word. Yes, I know 0 about horse racing business.

gamal
        July 17, 2018, 2:00 pm

“Yes, I know 0 about horse racing business”

watch Murphys Stroke, it’ll tell you all you need to know, Gay Future was at the centre of it..he may have been nobbled i don’t remember, all I recall is that Tony Murphy was a Cork man, they failed but only just, failing to spot the inherent impossibility of the scam..makes you think.

8. Keith
    Keith
    July 15, 2018, 3:22 pm

PHIL- “Ocasio-Cortez is just 28 and it shows. Give her a couple years and I am sure she will show more firmness and strength on these answers.”

I agree! No more wishy-washy “Well, I believe absolutely in Israel’s right to exist.” Soon, she will harden her position to be that her number one priority is Israel’s right to exist as a Jewish state. Too funny.

July 16, 2018, 11:12 am

Keith: No more wishy-washy “Well, I believe absolutely in Israel’s right to exist.” Soon, she will harden her position to be that her number one priority is Israel’s right to exist as a Jewish state. Too funny.
      —————————-

Keith
        July 16, 2018, 4:36 pm

SIBIRIAK- “Lol! Of course, that could happen, but I’ll wait until it does before I attack her for it.”

You misunderstand. My comment was to PHIL not Ms. Obama-Cortez. Since she is young and has no record, what is to attack? Of course, those with even a smidgen of intuitive pattern recognition recognize certain precedents. Call it informed speculation. No, for me the main story is how desperate the liberals are to fantasize about some 28 year old neophyte as their ship coming in. The new savior du jour bringing hope and change. How pathetic is that? Hell’s bells, she could be smarter than Chomsky, more morally steadfast than MLK and still not make a difference. For cry sakes, the corporations led by Wall Street are running the global political economy. And to reform the political economy would take a mass movement we don’t have along with time we have already run out of. We are at the end of an era and at the brink of unprecedented global upheaval including likely ecological breakdown. I am far less concerned about Obama-Cortez’ statement on Palestine than her words and ACTIONS concerning Russiagate, imperial militarism, and neoliberal globalization. I am at the stage where I have more-or-less run out of optimism, gallows humor my salvation. This whole thread has seen more intense and emotional debate than the subject is worth.

July 16, 2018, 9:31 pm

Keith: I am far less concerned about Obama-Cortez’ statement on Palestine than her words and ACTIONS concerning Russiagate, imperial militarism, and neoliberal globalization.
        ———————————————

Mooser
        July 17, 2018, 12:17 am

“I agree, 1000%. Regarding Russiagate, US politics have reached insane levels of (manufactured) hysteria and are beyond any possible remediation.”

Don’t worry, “Sibiriak”. The Putin-Trump summit will show everyone how Trump handles Putin.
        After the summit, the witch-hunt will seem even more pointless, too.

Citizen
        July 17, 2018, 7:52 am

At Helsinki Trump said both he and Putin supported Israel–reported in Jewish press, but not on mainstream cable tv news shows.

Keith
        July 17, 2018, 10:28 am

MOOSER- “After the summit, the witch-hunt will seem even more pointless, too.”

Ah, a loyal Democrat and supporter of imperial war mongering! There is nothing “pointless” about this witch-hunt (an accurate description, by the way). One has only to look at who the Democratic power-brokers are to realize that warfare and imperial aggression has become the new tikkun olam. Sorros, the CIA, the imperial media, and the Democrats. All for one and one for all.

This morning I received an e-mail from your fellow Democratic loyalist Rob Reiner. He wants me to sign his petition saying “Treason isn’t a word I use lightly. But right now I’m finding it hard to find any other word…..In front of the world’s media, standing next to Russian President Vladimir Putin after their closed-door #TreasonSummit, Donald Trump said that he believes Putin over the findings of EVERY SINGLE U.S. intelligence agency that the Russian government committed cyber warfare against the U.S. in the 2016 presidential election.”

The “meathead” has zero intellectual integrity. Lying for power and in solidarity. Utter bullshit shamelessly hawked. Russian expert Professor Stephen Cohen comments:

“As a rule, American presidents have departed for summits with bipartisan support and well-wishes. Trump’s upcoming meeting with Russian President Putin, in Helsinki on July 16, is profoundly different in two respects. US-Russian relations have rarely, if ever, been more dangerous. And never before has a president’s departure—in Trump’s case, first for a NATO summit and then the one with Putin—been accompanied by allegations that he is disloyal to the United States and thus cannot be trusted, defamations once issued only by extremist fringe elements in American politics. Now, however, we are told this daily by mainstream publications, broadcasts, and “think tanks. ”According to a representative of the Clintons’ Center for American Progress, “Trump is going to sell out America and its allies.” The New York Times and The Washington Post also feature “experts”—they are chosen accordingly—who “worry” and “fear” that Trump and Putin “will get along.” The Times of London, a bastion of Russophobic Cold War advocacy, captures the mainstream perspective in a single headline: “Fears Grow Over Prospect of Trump ‘Peace Deal’ with Putin.”

An anti-“peace” Washington establishment is, of course, what still-unproven Russiagate allegations have wrought, as summed up by a New York magazine writer who advises us that the Trump-Putin summit may well be “less a negotiation between two heads of state than a meeting between a Russian-intelligence asset and his handler.” The charge is hardly original, having been made for months at MSNBC by the questionably credentialed “intelligence expert” Malcolm Nance and, it seems, selectively informed Rachel Maddow, among many other “experts.” Considering today’s perilous geopolitical situation, it is hard not to conclude that much of the American political establishment, particularly the Democratic Party, would prefer trying to impeach Trump to averting war with Russia, the other nuclear superpower. For this too, there is no precedent in American history.” (Stephen F. Cohen) http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/49847.htm

July 17, 2018, 10:15 pm

Keith: Ah, a loyal Democrat and supporter of imperial war mongering!
        ————————————————-

PEIW ! (progressive except imperial warmongering.) Wow, that’s worse than PEP!

Keith
        July 18, 2018, 11:53 am

SIBIRIAK- ” Regarding Russiagate, US politics have reached insane levels of (manufactured) hysteria and are beyond any possible remediation.”

I agree. In fact this is yet another example of a dysfunctional aspect of human psychology, what I refer to as the logic of irrationality. Something is logical if it is consistent with relevant assumptions. Something is rational if it is consistent with observable reality. Assumptions which are not rational lead to irrational conclusions which are nonetheless completely logical within the framework of the initial assumptions. In other words, ideological assumptions have logical consequences even if these assumptions are irrational. That is, ideology tends to define reality even when irrational so that behavior is governed by the logic of the ideology, not by rational thought.

Most humans willingly adapt their cognitive interpretations to be consistent with group ideology/mythology. The tendency for individuals in a group to evaluate situations from the perspective of a shared ideology creates a de facto internalized behavioral guidance system consistent with group objectives. It should be noted that group ideology and group objectives do not reflect the input of the various members of the group, rather they reflect the biases and objectives of the group elites.

The tendency seems to be an emphasis on group cohesion at the expense of rationality, particularly when the group feels threatened. Discussions, debates and arguments influenced by ideology are not so much an attempt at evaluating the rational truth, but a defense of personal/group ideology. My irrational beliefs versus your irrational beliefs. The notion of a rational economic man or a rational political man are absurd. Most people are a bundle of bias and emotion waiting to be exploited. Faithful followers. Leaders are a bundle of bias and emotion waiting to exploit. Power seekers. Society may be thought of as individuals united in defensive solidarity whose actions are guided by the power seeking proclivities of the elite. Furthermore, the natural inclination of elites to engage in deception to achieve their goals means that society is, to a significant degree, a group of individuals united by fealty to fraudulent misrepresentations of realty.

Keith
        July 18, 2018, 3:10 pm

SIBIRIAK- “PEIW ! (progressive except imperial warmongering.)”

I prefer POOP (progressive only on Palestine). Rhetoric aside, there is nothing progressive about the Clintons’ New Democrats. This is the party that gave us NAFTA and neoliberal globalization. The party which invented identity politics and imperial feminism. The party most closely aligned with the CIA, FBI, NSA, The Council on Foreign Relations, Wall Street and the rest of the Deep State. And now accusing Trump of treason for the only good thing he has done in office, namely, trying to work with Russia. Accusing Russia of “hacking” our democracy (a ludicrous concept) when it was us who recklessly expanded NATO, interfered with their elections in support of Yeltsin who helped us destroy their economy. I once again link to the Abby Martin interview of Mark Ames on the Yeltsin years. https://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/abby-martin-russias-transformation-from-an-american-colony-to-its-number-one-threat/

And now we have loyal supporters of the Democrats who fancy themselves liberal but now join with the Deep State to demonize Russia. The only thing progressive about these party loyalists are some of their bumper stickers. This irrational support for the Democrats is similar to the staunch support for Israel by the Zionists. The statements by the Democratic leadership are so over the top that things must be coming to a head. This is an eleventh hour grab for power before global end-of-era restructuring. A certain degree of group solidarity is understandable but what is happening now is insane. This is one of the reasons I have so little hope. Group loyalty almost always overwhelms common sense.

Mooser
        July 19, 2018, 5:26 pm

“. Most people are a bundle of bias and emotion waiting to be exploited. Faithful followers. Leaders are a bundle of bias and emotion waiting to exploit. Power seekers…This is one of the reasons I have so little hope.” “Keith”

Don’t you live in Washington State? Hope is legal here.

July 20, 2018, 8:59 am

Hope is legal here

Makes sense, Mooser. Did you expect the government bandits to ban all the hopeful boobies who bring them to government?

Keith
        July 20, 2018, 6:00 pm

MOOSER- “Don’t you live in Washington State? Hope is legal here.”

Yes, but increasingly unaffordable. My wife and I associate primarily with my wife’s friends, mostly women from her book club. Mostly retired professionals, well educated and economically secure and, alas, staunch “liberal” Democrats who defend the indefensible and take umbrage at the drop of a hat. I can’t comment to them as freely as I do on Mondoweiss, forced to bite my tongue until it bleeds (that hurts!). If it was just me, that would be another story, but if momma ain’t happy daddy ain’t happy. Besides, rational argument is totally ineffective on those in the iron grip of the logic of irrationality. Intense group solidarity is a tough nut to crack, rarely worth the effort to try. Besides, when the group comes under perceived attack, the wagons are psychologically circled, solidarity increases. I leave you with a quote. Enjoy!

“There seems to be a complete psychotic break with reality in the U.S. as a result of the Trump-Putin summit.Liberals are hysterically calling for impeachment and even so-called radicals are quoting ex-CIA criminal John Brennan and branding Trump a traitor. The good thing about all of this is that the liberals posing as radicals have been exposed and their sentimental pro-empire, pro-American proclivities revealed. Unfortunately, though, the reactions to the summit has also revealed a secret that many of us knew, spoke about but did not dare focus too much attention on it, and that was the reality of how right-wing Black America had become.

The Russians today, the Chinese tomorrow, Putin’s a devil while Benjamin Netanyahu is honored even though his hands drip with the blood of unarmed Palestinians. It is very dangerous, especially for the oppressed, when the rulers know how easy it is to manipulate public opinion.” (Ajamu Baraka) https://www.blackagendareport.com/musings-marginsthe-nato-and-putin-summits-plus-high-crimes-misdemeanors-and-liberal-madness

Mooser
        July 21, 2018, 11:10 am

“Yes, but increasingly unaffordable.”

They don’t have dirt and 5-gallon buckets in your part of town? Try cheap potting soil, works even better.

9. MHughes976
    MHughes976
    July 15, 2018, 4:12 pm

A bit sad but there is hope that her heart is in the right place.

10. wondering jew
    wondering jew
    July 15, 2018, 6:07 pm

Looks like the pressure of the Democratic Party, with possibly the threat of supporting Crowley against her in the general election was enough to make her realize that she had to shift from activist to politician. But it is awkward to watch. She needs to get together with two people: Bernie Sanders and Peter Beinart and have a tutorial on policy (from Beinart) and politics (from Sanders). She does not need to hear from Schumer or from Mondoweiss.

eljay
      July 15, 2018, 6:34 pm

|| Yonah Fredman: Looks like the pressure of the Democratic Party, with possibly the threat of supporting Crowley against her in the general election was enough to make her realize that she had to shift from activist to politician. … She needs to get together with two people: Bernie Sanders and Peter Beinart … ||

Beinart and Sanders are Zionism-lite supremacists and hypocrites. Ms. Ocasio-Cortez needs to get together with people who are morally-consistent and respect the ideal of justice, accountability and equality universally and consistently applied*.
      ________________________
      (*If any such people exist in government.)

chocopie
      July 15, 2018, 11:54 pm

Barf! The last thing she needs is a tutorial from two old men who are Jewish liberal Zionists.

11. annie
    annie
    July 15, 2018, 7:00 pm

i didn’t hear her walk back her tweet. saying “this is not a referendum on the “state” of israel” (and she emphasized “state” with her voice and her hands) doesn’t mean she doesn’t think a massacre was taking place.

i didn’t hear her say she wasn’t an activist anymore: “I saw this incident, as an activist, as an organizer”……”people are starting to see in the occupation of Palestine is just an increasing crisis of humanitarian conditions and that to me is just where I tend to come from on this issue. there was nothing in there about ‘i’m about to become a congressperson’ and therefore no longer see this as a crises.

that to me is not an apology. i just didn’t hear her apologize nor walk back her words. furthermore, she comes from DSA, she has not walked back anything from DSA and they voted 90-10 to boycott israel. furthermore, as she explained on an earlier interview, when crowley ask her if she would endorse him if he won the primary, she said she represented a movement and she’s have to discuss that with her movement.

more accurately:

AOC: Oh um (long pause) – I think it, what I meant is like the – the settlements that are increasing in some of these areas and places where um where Palestinians are experiencing ah difficulty in access to ah their housing and homes.

this is more body language and hesitation than i’ve ever heard her, and i’ve watched a lot of her interviews. what stood out for me the most in this interview was when Hoover tried to separate protestors in gaza from protestors in ferguson, puerto rico, or the bronx , with her “very different from people expressing their First Amendment right to protest”. ocasio-cortez responded to these words with caution, but she said them:

AOC: Well, yes, but I also think that what people are starting to see, at least in the occupation of Palestine, is just an increasing crisis of humanitarian conditions. And that to me is just where I tend to come from on this issue.

how often do we even hear “occupation of palestine” on national TV? or “palestine” for that matter? she didn’t say palestinian occupied territories. she’s been around the block, she knows what a hot button issue this is.

no apology, no walking back. she’ll listen to both sides, sure. but she went on national tv and said “the occupation of palestine” is an increasing crisis of humanitarian conditions. And that to her, is just where she tends to come from on this issue. she stuck to her guns.

July 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

No this, no that, but first and foremost no clear, unequivocal stance –there’s the rub.
      Like Sanders, and Obama before him, she surely has a secret agenda that must remain cloudy and indecisive until she gets in power and then, zzzam! she’ll come out of the phone booth in her Superwoman costume.

July 16, 2018, 12:11 am

echinococcus: …no clear, unequivocal stance
        ————————————————————

She’s against the occupation, against the settlements, against Israeli war crimes, and in favor of a two state solution.

You may not like that stance, but I don’t see much equivocation there.

annie
        July 16, 2018, 12:25 am

the only one around here with a superman costume is echi, the keyboard champion of mondoweiss. boring!

July 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Sibiriak,

You use the term the occupation of Palestine, what did you mean by that?

Do you think you can expand on that?

AOC: Yeah I think — I am not the expert on geo-politics on this issue…

If that, to you, is clear, unequivocal, that tells me something about you but not about the topic.

annie
        July 16, 2018, 10:43 am

monday morning, echi’s found himself another really big fish to fry.

July 16, 2018, 12:20 am

Annie Robbins [emphasis added]:

[Ocasio-Cortez:] I just look at things through a human rights lens, and I may not use the right words– I know this is a very intense issue.

——————————————————–

And it should be pointed out that “looking at things from a human rights standpoint” has been the fundamental strategy adopted by the BDS movement–and it’s been extremely effective.

Rob Roy
      July 16, 2018, 12:30 am

Annie,
      Take a look at what John Stepping had to say about her. (“The Wisdom of Serpents”)
      You may defend her now but she is a Democrat and there’s no light between them and Republicans…on war, on funding the MIC, on Wall Street, on propaganda, on support of Israel, on shutting down Assange and wanting to drag him out to trial (for being a real journalist) and throw him in prison forever. Can you find any difference between Pelosi and Shummer and the Republicans who love Israel and go to AIPAC and listen to the xenophobia with rapt attention?
      Any one of them who dares to say anything about the occupation and the murdering of Palestinians you find will walk back and tone down as soon as it affects their chances of political gain and promotion. Always. Wait and see. She will fall into line, but I sincerely hope I’m wrong and you are right.
      The party who stands firm? The Green Party.

annie
        July 16, 2018, 2:36 am

rob, i hope you’re wrong too. i read Stepping’s article and wasn’t impressed. wrote about why earlier, see my archives.

Citizen
        July 16, 2018, 7:51 am

Her running platform on her web site, last time I looked a few days ago, included resurrection of Glass-Steagall wall between commercial and casino banking.

Peter in SF
      July 16, 2018, 1:32 am

I believe absolutely in Israel’s right to exist.

I’m a firm believer in finding a two-state solution in this issue

I just look at things through a human rights lens

When you look at things through a human rights lens, you don’t come in believing “absolutely” in any “right” of any state — you look at the rights of humans. And you don’t come in with the “firm” belief in finding a two-state solution — you look at how human rights are being violated, and eventually you might or might not conclude that a two-state solution would ameliorate that situation.

anti_republocrat
        July 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Peter, spot on. Individual human beings have rights, not states, not groups of people, not “identities” and for sure not corporations or other artificial, legally constructed “persons.”

Citizen
        July 17, 2018, 8:04 am

Good point. Her first two sentences here are boilerplate status-quo rhetoric, complete with the emphatic “absolutely,” and “firm believer.” Her usage of “just” in her third sentence diminishes her human rights stance, arguably, to an afterthought in this context. Basically she also states she has never really thought much about the I-P issue, is just starting to grapple with it…she’s in the hasbara soup now–I hope her fervor for basic human rights doesn’t sink in it due to the power of the Israel Lobby and its moneybags donor herd.

Peter in SF
        July 18, 2018, 2:41 am

Those who proclaim the “rights” of states do so in order to subvert the rights of humans, whether the state is Israel or Mississippi.

JWalters
      July 16, 2018, 4:07 am

Thanks for that analysis Annie. It makes a lot of sense to me. She doesn’t want to trigger a major assault against her at this time. Just hold her ground. The humanitarian angle is the root angle. The problem with Zionisim is in the humanitarian crises it inherently spawns. The problems are now serious enough to warrant an honest Congressional review of the situation, with new approaches examined.

Another congressional candidate, Dave Moore, is advocating ending all aid to Israel until they withdraw to the 1967 borders.

Another group of candidates who are emphatically rejecting corporate funding are the Justice Democrats https://www.justicedemocrats.com/
      If justice were applied in Palestine, if Americans only knew …

Once this topic breaks into the election discussions, it’ll become difficult to keep it out of the news. It crosses a line into a new dynamic. A lot of people can become informed almost overnight. A lot of formerly fearful people can start coming out with their stories. An avalanche of information … justice. It could happen.

July 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Walters,

Thank you so much for bringing a non-Demolican, non-Repucrat candidate to everyone’s attention.

This candidate is unlikely to cave in, as he has no Party nanny.

He has put in a lot of thinking about Palestine, specifically, and has a separate “Palestine/Israel” page.

He’s lived on both sides of occupied Palestine, and seems to know the subject well; check out About>Bio.

Also note the humor when you click on his “ProWar?” tab.

Why do you think he’s not getting the big media hoopla of the Dim-candidate lady?

——-

As for not taking corporate financing, that’s only significant if you are not a candidate of the Corporate Finance Party itself, duh! Otherwise one’s making the people pay directly for the privilege of getting screwed with their own money –corporate dictatorship doesn’t even have to cough up for that!
        Applies both to Sanders/Cortez and the Justice Democrats.

July 16, 2018, 9:38 am

Walters,

More re your thought-inducing post.

Your closing paragraph was very much to the point, the point of discussing anything electoral:

…if Americans only knew … Once this topic breaks into the election discussions, it’ll become difficult to keep it out of the news. It crosses a line into a new dynamic. A lot of people can become informed almost overnight. A lot of formerly fearful people can start coming out with their stories. An avalanche of information …

Bingo.

So how come “It makes a lot of sense” to you that “She doesn’t want to trigger a major assault against her at this time. Just hold her ground”? The point in being clear, firm and secure, instead of crumbling and I-dont-really-know-I’ll-learn hedging, is in provoking a big, open discussion, jumping on the opportunity of the newly-gained media spotlight. What better opportunity do just that than a “major assault”?

The hedging would only make sense if one’s objective is to bring votes to the “Party” from the disgusted public (and get the disgusted public to come back to the fold against their better judgment), rather than educate and organize them thanks to the electoral publicity.

Misterioso
        July 16, 2018, 11:44 am

@JWalters, et al

If Americans Knew Blog

“The Moral Decadence of Zionism” July 13/18

By Jeremy Salt, from Palestine Chronicle

EXCERPTS:
        “’Israel is by far the worst settler-colonial experience in history.’ Israel is creating a state that permits killing of children and medics, that makes murderers into heroes. Israel is ‘a state based not on morality, justice, and law but brute force.’ Zionism is the reason why.”

“We have watched this for seven decades. Seven decades of unremitting, remorseless, violence. A poisonous ideology gives rise to a state, poisonous at its roots, the people poisoned by the state, indoctrinated, taught to hate and taught to kill without compunction, without conscience.

“Israel is by far the worst settler-colonial experience in history, infinitely worse than Algeria at its worst and far worse than South Africa. Its violence extends from the market bombings of the 1930s to the massacres and destruction of close to 500 Palestinian villages and hamlets in the late 1940s.

“Onwards to massacres in Gaza, Lebanon and Jordan in every single decade that has followed, along with ‘targeted’ killings and individual assassinations, many of them far from Israel’s non-declared borders. There are no exceptions. Almost all of Israel’s victims, ultimately the victims of a twisted ideology, are civilian. Apartment buildings, ambulances, and hospitals have been destroyed, paramedics killed, refugee camps bombed and leaders of Palestinian opinion murdered.

“The record is atrocious. The killing is deliberate, remorseless, and justified on every occasion by the politicians and the Jewish citizenry.”

“Many Jews are horrified. Increasingly, the alarm bells are ringing for many Jews, who are horrified at what Israel has become, what, in fact, it always was even if they could not see it previously, and are separating themselves from the state and its ideology, in the name of name of Palestinian rights, common human rights and the Judaism whose symbols Israel has hijacked.

“Until the First World War Zionism was regarded as a heresy by Jewish communities around the world and this is how it needs to be defined again.

“In the name of Palestinian rights, in the name of human rights, in the name of law and morality and in the name of their religion, whose symbols have been hijacked by a brutal occupying state, the onus is on Jews to distance themselves from Israel. They need to say that the settlers’ Judaism is not their Judaism and that the hatred inscribed in holy books written thousands of years ago has no place in the modern world. This is a fight for the soul of their religion, as well as a struggle for Palestinian and human rights.”

JWalters
        July 17, 2018, 3:41 am

echinococcus,
        Your question is reasonable to me. I’m reminded of George Washington calling a strategy meeting, deciding how to respond to a change in the situation. It’s not always the best time to attack. Sometimes a constructive retreat conserves energy and enables preparation for the next move.

Misterioso,
        Brilliant excerpts, thanks. This case is clear and powerful.

12. RoHa
    RoHa
    July 15, 2018, 7:25 pm

I’m not getting excited about her. Politicians always disappoint.

(As do ones girlfriends and students.)

eljay
      July 15, 2018, 8:43 pm

|| RoHa: … Politicians always disappoint.

(As do ones girlfriends and students.) ||

Shouldn’t that be “one’s”? I’m disappointed.  ;-)

RoHa
        July 15, 2018, 10:21 pm

Justifiably so.

“… et idem indignor quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus”

I hacked it out on my iPad, and failed to hit the ‘ hard enough. No excuse for not reading before posting.

13. inbound39
    inbound39
    July 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

I certainly agree with your take Annie. Cortez has put the cat amongst the pigeons. It will be interesting to watch what happens and how much pressure the Zionists will put on her. We can likely expect smears to follow.

July 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

We’ve watched it already. It’s an old number to avoid people to wake up and send the parties to hell.
      Justt as we already watched the wait-and-see comments by the local liberal commentariat, similarly intended to delay and nobble any reaction that could be threatening to the Democrat party.

14. chris_k
    chris_k
    July 15, 2018, 11:47 pm

It’s supposed to be refreshing when a pol says “I don’t know” but this is the issue where I didn’t want to hear it, because if/when she finds her spine again they’ll remind her she’s a newbie. We all know who the experts are: Elliot Abrams, Alan Dershowitz, Dennis Ross, John Bolton, Tom Friedman, etc. The thinktanks are rigged to produce credentials only to the bigots, and academia often follows suit. Her climate change plan can be praised by mainstream academics but positions on the Middle East are different. This is a problem with Bernie, too: that there is so much BS being thrown at someone with supposedly good intentions, including all the conventions of diplomacy, intelligence briefings, and mass communications, that to outwit ‘Goliath’ you have to have a plan.

It is a tactical credit to the Palestianians that they utilized this form of protest that made Israel look so objectively bad to people with little background in the region. AOC relates to the kids being shot because she’s from a generation of activists and not of armed rebels, and her ‘education’ will involve ‘experts’ telling her the kids were fodder for the Hamas boogieman, who uses lethal force but not the ‘good’ lethal force used by the US and Israel that the New York Times desensitizes its readers to. Both the position and the lack of research reinforce millennial stereotypes. She’s 28 but that’s in internet years: 13 when the US invaded Iraq and architect’s families all had internet.

The reality is that she has the seat for life spine or no spine. The Lobby can make sure she gets the worst committee assignments but they’re already going to do that either way. Pelosi has already cast aspersions on her.

Hopefully Leslie Cockburn knocks off the non-incumbent distiller and air force intel spook for the Virginia seat: one of the authors in the bibliography AOC needs to wonk it out with.

chris_k
      July 17, 2018, 4:20 am

I watched the video and noticed how AOC caved in as soon as the host said Gaza is ‘geopolitically different’ than the other examples of public protests she cited. It was a great opportunity to question this exceptionalism, but instead she found herself over her head in the face of the general, unsubstantiated claim.

15. Sibiriak
    July 16, 2018, 12:01 am

Philip Weiss:

Liberal Zionists have had it both ways for too long: supporting a “Jewish state” that they also claim is a “democracy.” Trump has marked the end of that farce. Now they must give up a cherished dream; the liberal Zionists who want to shape the future will have to build coalitions with Palestinians and anti-Zionists.

From the Palestinian and anti-Zionist standpoint, what we are seeing is what activist and writer Sarah Schulman told us would happen five years ago: As you go from a vanguard movement to a broad-based movement, you must give up some of your litmus tests, egotism, and ideological purity, in the name of change.

Everyone, be nice.

[emphasis added]

16. Citizen
    Citizen
    July 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Schumer will eat her for breakfast, or just as a snack. She said she will “evolve: on subject issue–looks like her evolution has commenced. How hard would it have been to say, “I used the term ‘occupation’ because of that term as defined by international law.”?

Maghlawatan
      July 17, 2018, 8:20 am

Schumer on Russia but he coud be talking about Israel. Zionism is also treasonous.

chris_k
        July 18, 2018, 12:32 am

100% right. Russiagate appeared in order to change the narrative about the DNC emails that proved the committee was biased against Bernie because of Bernie’s Israel stance. Everything Schumer says is pure projection of Israel’s manipulation of US elections on Russia. Trump correctly tweets that Schumer is helping him get re-elected.

AOC has certainly benefited for the moment from the perception of everyone with average intelligence up, including usually complicit media figures, that both sides are run by people too rotten for words… her likeability exists currently in a vacuum.

Mooser
        July 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

“100% right. Russiagate appeared in order to change the narrative about the DNC emails… “

I wonder if anything will ever change the narrative about your archive.

17. dhfite
    dhfite
    July 16, 2018, 9:39 am

I cringed to read this. A fresh new face and already deeply entrenched forces have managed to get to her. The process of getting elected is not for the faint of heart. I will hope she can stay the course.

18. Rusty Pipes
    Rusty Pipes
    July 16, 2018, 4:43 pm

Hasbara may be on life-support, but Hasbarists are still effective at catching newbies off-guard with their attack points. AOC understands the injustice that is being perpetrated against Palestinians and the intersectional Human Rights abuses experienced by people in Ferguson, Puerto Rico and Gaza. She does not know the intricacies of Zionist history of twisting International Law and language, where “Disputed” is preferred to “Occupied” and certainly to “Apartheid,” “Settler Colonialism,” “Ethnic Supremacy” and “Ethnic Cleansing.” Maybe a meeting with Norman Finkelstein would be helpful.

19. Maghlawatan
    Maghlawatan
    July 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

Ms OC is very interesting. A lot of elite Zionist wealth which t props up Israel will be destroyed when the Dems start to support blue collar Americans and new institutions to bring people together are formed. Tammany Hall collapsed last time this happened. The bots may win with Ms OC but they are gonna lose the war. .

20. Tom Suarez
    Tom Suarez
    July 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Message to Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, if you are reading this…
    Dear Ms. Ocasio-Cortez,
    You won on the basis of the core, precious asset that your opponent — and you likely future opponents — lack: your integrity. May I suggest you look at Jeremy Corbyn here in the UK, whose politics were akin to yours and who also spoke the truth about Israel-Palestine. He, too, shocked the established political machine with his win. Like you, he won because of his humanity-based politics and his integrity. And like you, the pro-Zionist forces descended on him.
    He thought he could out-maneuver them by appeasement. It backfired. So he appeased more, thinking he would keep them at bay. It only made them “dig in their heels”, because he had by then already gone too far to backtrack. His mistake was to think they wanted him to acquiesce. But that’s not what they wanted. They already knew what he thought, so they simply wanted him out, no matter what he did.
    Even on a pragmatic political level, he has only lost by compromising his principles. Please, please, we need you as you are. If you cave, no matter how much you do, it will not matter to your adversaries.

21. Jackdaw
    Jackdaw
    July 17, 2018, 7:14 am

Phil’s ready to ‘mansplain’ the I/P conflict to Congressman Ocasio-Cortez.

22. echinococcus
    July 17, 2018, 9:11 am

Today, 7/17.
    The timid paragraphs titled “Peace Economy” are still not on her Spanish web site

Textbook example of Democrat electoral politics.

23. echinococcus
    July 17, 2018, 9:22 am

But why does it matter what she says on her website? … When people campaign on peace they tend to win, and that fact tends to be erased, either by silence or by the elected official turning toward war after the election. When someone wins a primary campaigning for peace, others need to learn of it. And when they win a general election campaigning for peace, others need to learn of it. This is how you get more candidates to support peace.

The notion that someone will secretly plan to work for peace while going silent or pretending to favor war until they are elected has very few examples to support it and thousands going against it

A candidate who surrounds himself or herself with people who delete peace from a website is a candidate hearing bad advice, and a future official likely to go on hearing bad advice.”

24. constipatedart
    constipatedart
    July 17, 2018, 10:44 am

When will people on the left learn that faith in individual politicians is not the way forward? If Occasio-Cortez or Bernie say anything fair on this issue it’s because we the people have pressured them, and have created the space for them to do so. We have to keep at it. Now that she’s entered the halls of power, she’s singing their tune. She is probably getting all kinds of intimidating phone calls from very important people. I can’t blame her for buckling. What I regret is seeing her retreat into this veil of ignorance, pretending she doesn’t know what’s what. It encourages other young people to shy away, to deny their own basic sense of right and wrong. It’s the whole “it’s such a complex issue, I’ll have to research it.” It’s not too late for her though. We have to keep up the pressure, and remind her why and how she got to congress in the first place.

July 18, 2018, 11:55 pm

Karnak,

It’s not too late for her though

Personally for Ms Cortez, of course it’s not too late; she presumably is full of the best intentions, unlike the warmongering old “middle class” champion mountebank Sanders.

But is sure is way too late for Ms Cortez’ candidacy, the Nth in a long line of fake challengers running under the Democrat Party banner. Just talking about the relatively recent past, of the so-called left characters, who all successfully rallied the boobies back to the voting booth, how many managed to do anything at all that went even a little against the will of the Owners of the Country?
      As to whose who got elected and were carrying hope-and-change, lemme see, what did they do?

You just don’t go under the banner of the worst enemy of the people and worst war machine if you intend to fight against it. Duh. That simple. Of course it’s way too late.

25. Jackdaw
    Jackdaw
    July 17, 2018, 10:49 am

Phil’s ‘machetero’ turns out to be a dull blade.

At the very least, her Boston University degree in International Relations, is insubstantial.

26. Boomer
    Boomer
    July 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Speaking carefully about Israel is as natural as breathing for a DC politician or a MSM news reader/actor. In that regard, Juan Cole puts recent events in perspective:

July 18, 2018, 1:07 am

The Guardian:

[…] Tom Watson, and the Momentum founder, Jon Lansman, […] both urged colleagues to act. Watson reportedly said: “Are we serious about winning a general election? Are we serious about dealing with antisemitism? If so we need to grip this issue and close it down.”

The examples removed from the IHRA definition include accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel than their own nations, claiming that the existence of the state of Israel is a racist endeavour and comparing Israeli actions with those of the Nazis.

Labour has argued the removed examples were already covered in a wider new code of conduct, but claimed some of the original examples needed clarification to be used by a political party and to avoid stifling debate, particularly on Israel and Palestine.”

July 18, 2018, 9:27 am

The Guardian update:

Labour has said that action will be taken against Margaret Hodge MP after she called Jeremy Corbyn an “antisemitic racist”. A spokesman for the Labour leader said Hodge’s comments were “clearly unacceptable”.

As the Press Association reports, he declined to reveal the precise nature of the action being brought against the Barking MP, who is herself Jewish. But he said that it would be taken under parliamentary Labour party procedures requiring MPs to behave in a “respectful” way towards colleagues and not to “bring the party into disrepute”.

In response, the Labour MP Wes Streeting accused the party of “hypocrisy”, arguing that it was penalising Hodge while not doing enough about allegations of antisemitism.

HarryLaw
        July 22, 2018, 5:15 am

Sibiriak, The Guardian quote is sugar coated, Hodge is reported to have said to Corbyn “you are a fucking Antisemitic racist” colleagues witnessing the incident describe it as insulting and aggressive Hodge does not regret the incident. It would appear Hodge will have action taken against her under parliamentary rules. Of course other members of the party are suspended immediately. To falsely accuse anybody of Antisemitism/racism could lose that person respect in the community, even their employment that is why Hodge said it, so it is a very serious allegation, they need to throw the book at her. https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/new-assault-corbyn-aims-ban-criticism-israel-labour

27. Sibiriak
    July 18, 2018, 4:18 am

Joe Lieberman attacks Ocasio-Cortez:

Vote Joe Crowley, for Working Families Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hurts the party, Congress and even America

Lieberman slams Ocasio-Cortez, urges voters to pick Joe Crowley

[Fox News:] In a scorching article for the Wall Street Journal, Lieberman, who’s now an Independent, criticized Ocasio-Cortez’s agenda as “more Socialist than Democratic” and said her presence in Congress will “make it harder for Congress to stop fighting and start fixing problems.”

* * *

Lieberman also took a shot at Ocasio-Cortez views on international politics. “Ms. Ocasio-Cortez didn’t speak much about foreign policy during the primary, but when she did, it was from the DSA policy book—meaning support for socialist governments, even if they are dictatorial and corrupt (Venezuela), opposition to American leadership in the world, even to alleviate humanitarian disasters (Syria), and reflexive criticism of one of America’s great democratic allies (Israel),” he wrote.

28. chris_k
    chris_k
    July 18, 2018, 5:43 am

Remnick’s co-option includes “Since the primary, she’s been fielding calls of congratulation “from everyone you can name,” including her ideological lodestar, Bernie Sanders, and Hillary Clinton, who, she said, “seemed to come from a mentoring place.”

chris_k
      July 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Walt and Mearsheimer wrote ““Clinton became an ardent defender of Israel once she began running for office herself, and she now gets strong backing, including financial support, from pro-Israel organizations and individuals. After Clinton appeared at a pro-Israel rally in July 2006 and expressed strong support for Israel’s highly destructive war against Lebanon, Helen Freedman, executive director of the hard-line Americans for a Safe Israel, declared, ‘I thought her remarks were very good, especially in light of her history, and we can’t forget her kiss to Suha.’”

The “kiss to Suha” happened when Sen. Clinton was 51. She can vouch to the organizations and individuals that ‘evolving’ can have a learning curve in some cases.

29. Boomer
    Boomer
    July 18, 2018, 6:42 am

Clearly, the story from the Guardian indicates that how one talks about Israel is an issue in UK politics too. I must confess, however, that the details are confusing to me (an American). Would I be correct to infer that Corbyn does not define criticism of Israel as per se evidence of anti-Semitism, and that he is for that reason being called an anti-semite?

MHughes976
      July 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Yes, I think Corbyn is trying to resist the idea that anti-Z is anti-S. The four examples, three mentioned by Sibi above + holding Israel to a higher standard than others, are all about Israel rather than about people who are Jewish. The intention is of course to make anti-Z effectively illegal, the Labour Party being only a starting point. Whether Corbyn will be able to stand his ground I don’t know.

Boomer
        July 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Thanks for the info.

30. Atlantaiconoclast
    Atlantaiconoclast
    July 18, 2018, 11:36 pm

Not surprised in the least. Progressives are so afraid of being called anti Semitic, that they forget the importance of being a truth teller.

31. Qualtrough
    Qualtrough
    July 19, 2018, 5:41 am

At some point recently someone congratulated her on her success, and then warned her that she was unlikely to proceed any further unless she modified her stance on Israeli. Or she figured it out herself. Result is the same.