Will ‘Occupy Wall Street’ give Jon Stewart political identity crisis?

Business Insider:

This might come as a blow to some members of its fanbase: ‘The Daily Show’ does not appear to be a fan of Occupy Wall Street.

Much like every other mainstream media show, when they went down to Zuccotti park they only managed to find weirdos.

Mark Wauck tells me that this is Stewart’s house. Big carbon footprint. Big dock.

1. Potsherd2
    October 19, 2011, 10:39 am

Looks like Stewart’s the 1%

2. American
    October 19, 2011, 10:48 am

Well then…Stewart will lose some fans.

3. seafoid
    October 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Stewart has to keep the advertisers happy. The media is a huge part of the deception.

I went to watch John Pilger speak once. He was offered a job at the UK Independent when the newspaper was founded. He asked about the conditions and was told he’d only be able to write something political max once a month otherwise the advertisers would leave.

link to goodreads.com

” But in Huxley’s vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny “failed to take into account man’s almost infinite appetite for distractions”. In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us.”

• Dan Crowther
      October 19, 2011, 11:13 am

But even in 1984 Smith comes to love Big Brother in the end. Great, great post seafoid – totally spot on.

Ive never been a big fan of his – I think sometimes he is funny, but the constant false equivalencies and calls for “moderation” as well as having some of the most repugnant people imaginable on his show regularly are just too much to take.

• jewishgoyim
        October 25, 2011, 7:23 am

Yep. He’s been good on some aspects of the financial crisis. He equated the birthers and people who think Bush is a war criminal, wrapping them up in the “extremists” bag. He’s been daring once or twice on Israel/Palestine notably during the assault on Gaza.

He’s an entertainer and he’s quite good at it. I don’t think he could have done what Colbert did during the White House Correspondents dinner. He’s a little too polite for that. Plus having Bill Kristol regularly is a little annoying…

4. sky7i
    October 19, 2011, 12:10 pm

“Records also indicate that Mister Stewart–through his real estate trust, which happens to be named after his cat and dog–also owns a water front home in the Bay Point area of Sag Harbor, NY.

In November of 2005 Mister and Missus Stewart sold their Greenwich Village apartment to too tan bon mot making fashion designer Michael Kors for $3,995,000. The family traded up to a $5,800,000 doo-plex penthouse in lower Manhattan’s TriBeCa neighborhood. Reports from the time of the purchase reveal the condo crib spans approximately 6,000 square feet on the interior with another approximately 1,800 square feet of outdoor space. The Stewarts share the top of their building with mustachioed baseball stud Mike Piazza who had his 2 bedroom and 2 pooper penthouse on the market in 2008 and early 2009 with an asking price of $6,500,000.”

link to realestalker.blogspot.com

5. Kilenee
    October 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

From the few videos I’ve seen, Mr. Stewart seems to be fairly supportive of the OWS movement. His only criticisms have been over form, not content, and only then because he said certain actions the protesters take can alienate the mainstream public. He covered in in some detail Monday night and was overwhelmingly positive, with the one exception (a picture of man defecating on a police car). While Mr. Stewart’s ragging on that exception did grate on my nerves, I would not say he was anti-OWS. I noticed that at one point when describing it, he used the word “we.”
    He certainly is part of the 1% from an economic standpoint, but so are/were people like Chomsky, Zinn, Said, Naomi Wolf (who was arrested for participating in the protests), and many other similar figures.

• DBG
      October 19, 2011, 1:25 pm

he is a comedian, shitting on a police car is comedy gold, no matter what the topic is about.

• jewishgoyim
        October 25, 2011, 7:40 am

Hard to beat indeed…

• lysias
      October 19, 2011, 2:18 pm

I read some place lately that the 1% have incomes of at least $600 K per year. I don’t think many professors make that much.

• Kilenee
        October 19, 2011, 6:50 pm

It depends. Norman Finkelstein? He makes next to nothing, especially considering all the years of education he went through. But depending on what field you’re in, you could make a pretty fair amount of money. Anything that has to do with the defense industry pays generously. I’m not sure where Chomsky got all his money from, but I’m almost positive it was through book sales. Same thing goes for Said and Wolf.

• jewishgoyim
        October 25, 2011, 7:44 am

Book sales of course. I would not be shocked if Chomsky and Wolf were in the top 1%. Even Finkelstein must have made some money through book sales even if top 1% feels like a serious stretch for him. But then you have income and capital and these are to different metrics.

6. chet
    October 19, 2011, 2:35 pm

To suggest that Jon Stewart is part of the establishment because he has been professionally successful and as a result has been able to afford expensive material possessions is laughable.

His irreverent skewing of mealy-mouth politicians (mostly Republicans) and comedic comment on the excesses of American life is the ONLY media outlet where the “counter-argument” can be heard.

IMHO his light-hearted poking of fun to the the more bizarre elements of OWS can be taken as a suggestion to the movement that if it wants to be taken seriously, the crazies must be somehow moderated.

• Linda J
      October 19, 2011, 3:27 pm

I didn’t feel a huge sense of loss when I gave up my cable/tv and therefore Stewart. Your point about his going after predominantly Republican targets has irritated the hell out of me since day one, since I am an independent and think the Dems are the sneakier but more deadly face of the corpocracy.

• SkepticalHumanist
        October 19, 2011, 5:48 pm

exactly. stewart is a court jester. but he still answers to the king. see also, wall st funds both democrat and republican candidates. the whole R/D dichotomy is as much a divide & conquer strategy as it is a red herring.

• seafoid
        October 19, 2011, 5:51 pm

Like there is any difference between Tweedledum and Tweedledee on the policies that matter.

• dumvitaestspesest
        October 19, 2011, 10:26 pm

I agree with you. I also cancelled my cable many years ago, and I feel like I gained not only more free time, but I started to wonder about many things on my own without MEDIA subconscious influence.
        I call MSM ” a poisonous drip” that clogs one’s mind , weakens the spirit and has a very mild (almost none), positive effect.
        I don’t miss it at all ,and I do recommend it to everybody.
        MSM is owned by big kahunas, and there is no independence there.
        They call the shots.
        Jon Stewart is no exception. Just another wealthy, well known puppet ,who is pulled by invisible strings.

• iamuglow
      October 20, 2011, 9:58 am

“Is there any poster on this site who wouldn’t feel a huge sense of loss if the Daily Show was not on the air?”

I’ll just add to the pile. Cancelled cable, no DailyShow, no huge sense of loss for me.

as SkepticalHumanist says once you realize the whole R/D dichotomy is a red herring to begin with, jokes and endless debates about the ‘two parties’ are less interesting.

7. seafoid