It’s time to boycott Ben & Jerry’s

Activism

In 2011, Vermonters for a Just Peace in Palestine/Israel began a discussion with Ben & Jerry’s in South Burlington, Vermont, concerning their long-standing contractual relationship with an Israeli franchise that manufactures ice cream in Israel proper and sells it in Israel settlements in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.

These settlements – fortified colonies for Jews only – contravene international law.  Ben & Jerry’s knows this. It knows, too, that the company’s Social Mission and history of supporting progressive causes cannot be reconciled with its franchise’s commercial ties to the settlements.

Despite what it knows and the values that define its corporate identity, Ben & Jerry’s refuses to stop the Israeli franchise from making money in Israeli settlements.

The decision to call for a boycott

VTJP’s thinking on the necessity for a boycott reached a tipping point during Israel’s military assault against Gaza in the summer of 2014. 2,200 Palestinians were killed and more than 11,000 wounded. The casualties were overwhelmingly civilians.

Because Gaza’s morgues could not handle the horrific carnage, bodies of dead children and babies had to be stacked temporarily in ice cream freezers prior to burial.

While this massacre of innocents was being carried out, Ben & Jerry’s “peace & love” ice cream was passing through Israeli checkpoints, being transported on Jewish-only roads, and being sold to supermarkets and for catered events in Jewish-only settlements.

A company can’t call itself progressive and remain silent on Palestine

It’s now clear that appealing to Ben & Jerry’s socially responsible “conscience” alone will not achieve our objectives.

Since 2013, the year our campaign went public, thousands of individuals and 239 organizations in 20 countries, including Israel, and from the District of Columbia and the occupied Palestinian territory, have called on Ben & Jerry’s to put an end to its franchise’s business in Israeli settlements.

Jeff Furman, chairperson of Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors, traveled to Occupied Palestine in 2012 with a group of American civil rights’ leaders.  He described what he saw there as “apartheid.”

A Ben & Jerry’s delegation traveled to Israel/Palestine in 2014, as VTJP had urged.  Participants met with anti-occupation activists, and some toured the West Bank.  They learned from credible sources and saw with their own eyes the brutal realities of life under military occupation.

VTJP also informed the company in 2014 that its franchise may be purchasing equipment from an illegal Israeli enterprise in the occupied [Syrian] Golan Heights.

In spite of all this, the company has refused not only to stop its practices, but to even issue a statement calling for an end to Israel’s occupation and settlements.

Therefore, a boycott.

Moving forward

The company and its U.S. shop owners received a letter shortly before VTJP’s third-annual, Free Cone Day protests on April 14 informing them of our boycott action.

VTJP also announced its boycott call with an original “cantastoria” and video called “No Justice, No Sweets.”  The Apartheid Adventures media collective, on its own initiative, produced a brilliant satirical video called “Licking Apartheid.”

Our boycott call is being disseminated through social and traditional media and the organizational networks of Palestine solidarity and peace groups around the world.

Ben & Jerry’s has responded with a brief posting on its website. It’s a classic example of “redirection through misdirection,” as we pointed out in a rebuttal.

Much organizing work remains to be done, of course.  VTJP calls on people of conscience around the world to endorse and join this boycott.

About Mark Hage

Mark Hage is a Palestine Solidarity activist with Vermonters for Justice in Palestine.

1. sawah
    May 13, 2015, 11:59 am

well done!!!

2. a blah chick
    May 13, 2015, 12:53 pm

How hard is it not to do business with the settlements? They should keep the heat on.

3. just
    May 13, 2015, 1:11 pm

Super- duper action! Brilliant videos. Thank you VTJP~ I am completely on board and in solidarity with all of you.

I have neither bought nor eaten and Ben and Jerry’s brand since I found out about their complicity in the Occupation and apartheid. It simply blows my mind that this otherwise progressive company is PEP and blind. I thought I was doing the “progessive” and pricey thing by supporting B&J. It’s come at a slight personal cost to me since I used to love their wonderful product~ especially their Pistachio Pistachio.

I’ll just wait until I can buy some Iranian pistachios and then sprinkle those liberally all over my own homemade vanilla!

Thank you, Mark!

4. amigo
    May 13, 2015, 1:57 pm

I have enough trouble biting into cold ice cream but add to that the taste of apartheid and no amount of flavour can get me to suffer that.

I have not bought B&J ice cream for 7 or eight years.I also go out of my way to convince fellow ice cream lovers to leave B& J products to rot on the shelf.

5. HarryLaw
    May 13, 2015, 2:51 pm

Ben and Jerry “We have no economic interest in the occupied territories”. Sure, they only sell it in the Occupied Palestinian Territories and source the machinery to make it from the occupied Syrian Golan Heights. Boycott! Boycott! Boycott!

6. ritzl
    May 13, 2015, 3:48 pm

Group this with the Salkin “Forward” article and the actual facts behind the NYT SJP hit piece and you see a growing recognition by people truly interested in justice as a universal and consistent goal, that the PEP mentality is a dysfunctional, divergent, disabling mental condition incapable of rendering sound moral judgements. They don’t want any of that gross unhealth coming anywhere close to setting student policies or making ice cream that they give to their kids.

If you so glaringly can NOT tell the difference between right and wrong as a universal life method, what’s to stop you from selectively including a “dab” of bad stuff here and there into your ice cream. Nothing internal would stop you, particularly if you view yourself as “mostly good.”

Same with student politics. How could one ever be expected to make ANY truly moral, or even rational, judgements when there’s such a gargantuan moral disconnect in one’s thinking?

Great article. Thanks.

7. Bornajoo
    May 13, 2015, 6:37 pm

Great work! Thank you Mark

No more B&J! Boycott! I will spread the word to everyone I know

8. JWalters
    May 13, 2015, 7:00 pm

I will no longer buy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. The friendly uncle facade is dead; the monster behind the mask is revealed.

9. ckg
    May 13, 2015, 7:13 pm

So, is it okay to eat Häagen-Dazs? I haven’t touched it since I was in college–a long time ago–because of founders Reuben and Rose Mattus’ predilection for contributing to settlements and possible support of Meir Kahane. But in 1983 Pillsbury bought them out, and made them rich. I don’t see how the family and heirs have any financial stake in the current owners, but I could be wrong. A Philadelphia Inquirer article from the 1990’s mentioned a freezer full of Häagen-Dazs in the first grocery store in the settlement Eli between Ramallah and Nablus.

• just
      May 13, 2015, 7:49 pm

“Häagen-Dazs was bought by Pillsbury in 1983. General Mills bought Pillsbury in 2001.[13][14] In the United States and Canada, Häagen-Dazs products are produced by Nestlé subsidiary Dreyer’s, which acquired the rights as part of the General Mills-Pillsbury deal.[15][16] The brand name is still owned by General Mills but is licensed to Nestlé in the US and Canada.”

In 2012, the Chief Rabbinate deemed it not kosher.

Nestlé has been a target of BDS. “General Mills jointly own the General Mills (Pillsbury) plant in the Atarot settlement Industrial zone, while Unilever only pulled out of the Barkan settlement industrial zone after years of pressure from the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement.”

(thanks again for the video and for your source info, ckg !)

• a blah chick
      May 13, 2015, 9:24 pm

I stopped eating it back I the seventies when I heard by owner gave money to Kahane. You mean it’s safe to eat now?

Damn good ice cream.

10. ckg
    May 13, 2015, 10:38 pm

just, thanks. On a related topic, one of my pro-Palestinian-rights friends seemed shocked that I was using the free mobile phone app Waze. I honestly replied that I only installed it after Google bought it out. I am a bit troubled.

11. ivri
    May 14, 2015, 2:14 am

Yeah, boycott them all and don`t forget just about all the US high-tech and military-industrial giants. But perhaps the move here does make some sense – can help with people`s waistlines…

• catalan
      May 14, 2015, 9:36 am

“But perhaps the move here does make some sense – can help with people`s waistlines…” – ivri

• just
        May 14, 2015, 12:14 pm

“Americans are awful at math, chemistry, history and pretty much every other subject. They do have the largest waistlines though and are best at whining. It should be a consolation for Giles.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/05/time-boycott-jerrys#comment-146466

catalan~ you’re an insufferable and narcissistic bigot, readily and handily equipped with a broad brush soaked with hasbara and contempt for others.

I don’t understand how or why you decided to ‘grace’ America with your presence, and I certainly don’t understand why any ‘local American government’ would employ someone like you who has such obvious disdain for Americans and America.

• catalan
        May 14, 2015, 12:26 pm

“I don’t understand how or why you decided to ‘grace’ America with your presence,” – just
        I wonder about that sometimes too. The money is good and it’s not hard to achieve success, since I come from a non-whining culture (Jewish? Bulgarian?) On the other hand, if I could do it all over again, I probably would settle on the Greek islands. You see, back in the days when I came here, Bulgaria was poor and not in the EU. Now it is still poor but it is in the EU. Freedom of movement and all that. So yeah, I would rather live in Greece but that train has passed.
        About the word narcissism, did you know that the Greeks told an alternate tale about him? He went to the lake to look for his dead sister. In his sadness, he fell and drowned. How unfair it may be to him that we call narcissists people who are in love with themselves.
        Finally, I was unfair to Ameicans. I think the latest obesity study put Mexicans first. Lagging again…

• amigo
        May 14, 2015, 1:05 pm

“But now I am in the other promised land, the one I always loved. “catalan

Then this!!.

“Americans are awful at math, chemistry, history and pretty much every other subject. They do have the largest waistlines though and are best at whining -“catalan

Poor catalan , just cannot make his mind up.

• catalan
        May 14, 2015, 1:31 pm

“Which side are you on.”
        Amigo,
        I support first saving as much as we can of the remaining species on earth, rhinos, elephants, marine mammals, etc.
        I also believe in a world without national borders. Some type of deal where all govenrment is basically local. It has worked in India on a smaller scale for millenia. A variety of languages and religions can exist with minimal friction.
        I think that humanity may truly flourish and uncover things we can’t dream of now, if only people stop worrying and invest resources for fighting each other. Thus, I am not fond of any nationalism, Palestinian nationalism included. It’s all a zero sum game, where we all participate and lose. I am not sure how such an idea can be accomplished because the national governments would be horrified. Just think of the trillions of dollars that goes into militaries, embassies, international organizations. Hundreds of millions of people are basically employed in an activity without any positive effect.

• Hostage
        May 14, 2015, 4:48 pm

Fair enough, their products were never on my menu anyway. I even consider their “healthy” items, like the sorbets, to be nothing but junk food.

Perhaps, but obesity rates in Israel are high and comparable to those in the United States. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15847200http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15847200 If you skip non-essentials, like Ben and Jerry’s products, you’ll probably be better off in the long run. I’m working on my 7th decade of life and my fourth on a whole plant food based diet. I’m still the same size as the day I graduated from High School, i.e. 6 ft. 1 in., 165 pounds, and 32 in. waist. I’d be willing to wager that I’ve forgotten more about math, chemistry, and history in that time than you’ll ever learn in any Israeli Education Ministry-approved textbook on those subjects. In fact, I’d wager that I’ve read and commented on more journal articles and books authored by Israelis concerned about the content of that country’s standard textbooks than most Israelis.

FYI, since you brought the subject up, Americans still have much higher average test scores than our Israeli counterparts, http://www.nsf.gov/nsb/sei/edTool/data/highschool-08.html and in fairness, none of our Presidents in living memory had an unhealthy girth as embarrassingly huge as Ariel Sharon’s over-bloated waistline.

Our Presidents also weren’t nearly as whiney as he was about the existential threat that sizable ethnic minority population groups allegedly posed to national security – and some of ours are much larger than the entire population of Israel.

• just
        May 14, 2015, 4:57 pm

+1, Hostage!

• ckg
        May 14, 2015, 6:17 pm

Americans are awful at math

Well, catalan, some Americans do fear algebra, because they think everything that starts with ‘Al’ from the Middle East is bad news.

• ckg
        May 14, 2015, 6:42 pm

Americans are awful at … history

Well, catalan, many Americans do believe that Palestinians left their land in 1948 to allow the Arab armies to drive the Jews into the sea. And many Americans think the 1967 six-day war began when Egypt attacked Israel. And many Americans think Iraq was behind the 9/11 attacks in 2001. I could go on.

• just
        May 14, 2015, 6:53 pm

Here’s one American that’s awful at both: Scott ‘how do I love thee Israel’ Walker who went to Israel to get “educated” (via Max B)

“I also hate math (it’s 408 years) but importantly, do you support “amnesty” for these “illegal immigrants”?

“It’s hard to believe that it has been 505 years since the first settlers arrived at Jamestown. – TW””

(I do appreciate what you’re doing, ckg!)

• RoHa
        May 14, 2015, 7:53 pm

Rosy view of India.

• ckg
        May 14, 2015, 10:17 pm

just, I hope someone asks Walker if he talked to any Palestinians during his ‘education’.

• just
        May 14, 2015, 10:49 pm

I hope so, ckg.

I don’t think that he did, or will ever, speak to a Palestinian.

(He strikes me as one of those that might deign to speak to the Walid Shoebats of the world and celebrate it.)

• Keith
        May 15, 2015, 8:39 pm

HOSTAGE- “I’m still the same size as the day I graduated from High School, i.e. 6 ft. 1 in., 165 pounds, and 32 in. waist.”

Yes, but how much can you bench press?

12. CigarGod
    May 14, 2015, 8:27 am

Haven’t bought it for years. Easy to boycott any product once you make a commitment. Just like Starbucks…I dont even miss it…but I remember.

13. gosmoboleet
    May 14, 2015, 8:28 am

Hard to do since their political stance has had them bring boycotted for decades. Besides, you really shouldn’t be eating ice cream anyway.

• just
      May 14, 2015, 9:48 am

No ice cream at all? Perish the thought!

I’d really like to see B&J give up on Israel and the settlements altogether and give lotsa ice cream goodies to the survivors of Gaza and the OPT. These folks could certainly use something cool and nice:

“Families in Khuza’a forced to live in shipping containers as politics prevent Gaza reconstruction” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/05/containers-politics-reconstruction#sthash.CgpzVJtt.dpuf

Maybe they could bring some wheelchairs too! You know, emblazoned with ‘peace, love, and ice cream’.

These folks, too: “Tonight there is a film festival in the rubble of Shujaiya”

Years ago, I received a pie chart bumper sticker from Ben and Jerry’s reflecting how much the US overspends on “defense”. I displayed it, and though Ben made videos about the US federal budget involving that pie chart and oreo cookies, not once did he mention the billions of dollars and the weapons that the US gives to Israel to enable them to commit the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from Palestine. Tomorrow is Nakba Day, and all that the US has done is to issue a travel warning for US citizens. I didn’t read that they admonished Israel to stand down and not murder people. I did read all week about the boats, subs, and missile defense systems that Israel is getting from Germany! The official denial of the Nakba is allowed to continue:

“The Nakba Day denial

Denial is an important and often underemphasized dimension of Israel’s violence toward Palestinians. Israel equally denies historical crimes and daily incidents. Denial has become, in fact, a constant and almost instinctual official reaction to any accusation of wrongdoing. This is not only an offence against truth, but also enables the ongoing perpetration of crimes. If one has done no wrong, one may, of course, continue doing it.

Israel’s denial of the Nakba—the Palestinian catastrophe of 1948—has been legally sanctioned since 2011. The “Nakba law” now imposes harsh fines on public organizations that refer to Israel’s official Independence Day on the 15th of May as a day of mourning.”…

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/03/the-nakba-day-denial#sthash.AKGmF4pV.dpuf

Lastly, I read Gideon Levy’s column this morning.

“The more Israel represses the Nakba, the stronger the memories”

The Nakba continues.

• just
        May 14, 2015, 11:06 am

Wow. Just a little while after I posted, there’s this, from Dan Cohen:

“For anyone who wants to help buy Ahmad a wheelchair, I’m working on getting a proper size to Gaza. I’ll update ASAP.”

He’s such a credit to humanity.

• CigarGod
        May 14, 2015, 11:08 am

Gotta be a joke. Far too rabid to be true.

• Shmuel
        May 14, 2015, 1:02 pm

These folks, too: “Tonight there is a film festival in the rubble of Shujaiya”

This festival clip is heart-rending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c43d5CB3rt8

• just
        May 14, 2015, 1:29 pm

Thank you for linking that clip, Shmuel.

If only those that did this and supported these ghastly things, had even the tiniest measure of humanity.

I am humbled by their Sumud~ over and over again.

• Kris
        May 14, 2015, 2:07 pm

@Schmuel: “These folks, too: “Tonight there is a film festival in the rubble of Shujaiya”

Heartbreaking. Beautiful song, too; wish I had a translation.

Thank you so much for this link, Schmuel.

• MHughes976
      May 14, 2015, 12:52 pm

The Nakba is rather hard to deny, in the sense that lots of people obviously left and never came back. Great efforts are made in many places, Mondoweiss included, to justify it, though I can never bring myself to read more than a few words of such stuff. Imagine what the reaction would be to someone’s attempting to say ‘the Holocaust did indeed happen but there were, you know, adequate reasons for it’.

• eljay
        May 14, 2015, 1:06 pm

|| MHughes976: The Nakba is rather hard to deny … ||

And yet Zio-supremacists never stop denying it or trivializing it or justifying it. Not surprisingly, even the “liberal Zionists” (like R.W.) play that game:

“I cannot consistently say that ‘ethnic cleansing is never necessary’.”

” … I feel that the nakba was a necessary wrong … ”

“If I was an adult in 1948, I probably would have supported whatever it took to create the state of Israel, and held my nose at actions that I could not possibly do myself.”

“The nakba that occurred in 1948 was accompanied by the independence, the liberation, of the Jewish community. So, I primarily celebrate … “

• bintbiba
        May 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

@Shmuel ,

Heartrending, heart-searing , soul destroying.

Thank you for posting the clip, Shmuel !

• bintbiba
        May 14, 2015, 5:18 pm

+1 MHughes976

• MHughes976
        May 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Eljay’s examples are genuine and chilling but I think that they all amount to justification rather than what I would call denial, comparable to the real-thing denial that the neo-Nazis bring to the sufferings of Jewish people in WW2.

14. catalan
    May 14, 2015, 9:41 am

• CigarGod
      May 14, 2015, 10:52 am

You go ahead and speak for the Lemmings.

• amigo
      May 14, 2015, 1:11 pm

“Ben and Jerry’s look pretty crowded to me in Albuquerque. I guess the huge pro Palestinian community that Annie speaks of here hasn’t yet caught on. There is always time…”catalan.

Thanks for pointing that out catalan.You are an invaluable source .The Palestinians are most grateful.

Know any other busy B&J outlets BDS can focus their attention on.Speaking about “on”. Which side are you on.

15. just
    May 14, 2015, 12:01 pm

“Roger Waters to Dionne Warwick: “You are showing yourself to be profoundly ignorant of what has happened in Palestine since 1947″

Singer and U.N. global ambassador Dionne Warwick recently released an interesting if puzzling statement asserting that she would, and I quote, “never fall victim to the hard pressures of Roger Waters, from Pink Floyd, or other political people who have their views on politics in Israel.”

“Waters’ political views are of no concern,” I assume she means to her, the statement read. “Art,” she added, “has no boundaries.”

Until today, I have not publicly commented on Ms. Warwick’s Tel Aviv concert or reached out to her privately. But given her implicit invitation, I will comment now.

First, in my view, Dionne Warwick is a truly great singer. Secondly, I doubt not that she is deeply committed to her family and her fans.

But, ultimately, this whole conversation is not about her, her gig in Tel Aviv, or even her conception of boundaries and art, though I will touch on that conception later. This is about human rights and, more specifically, this is about the dystopia that can develop, as it has in Israel, when society lacks basic belief in equal human value, when it strays from the ability to feel empathy for our brothers and sisters of different faiths, nationalities, creeds or colors.

It strikes me as deeply disingenuous of Ms. Warwick to try to cast herself as a potential victim here. The victims are the occupied people of Palestine with no right to vote and the unequal Palestinian citizens of Israel, including Bedouin Israeli citizens of the village of al-Araqib, which has now been bulldozed 83 times by order of the Israeli government.

I believe you mean well, Ms. Warwick, but you are showing yourself to be profoundly ignorant of what has happened in Palestine since 1947, and I am sorry but you are wrong, art does know boundaries. In fact, it is an absolute responsibility of artists to stand up for human rights – social, political and religious – on behalf of all our brothers and sisters who are being oppressed, whoever and wherever they may be on the surface of this small planet.

Forgive me, Ms. Warwick, but I have done a little research, and know that you crossed the picket line to play Sun City at the height of the anti-apartheid movement. …

…As I’m sure you know, Lauryn Hill canceled her gig in Tel Aviv last week. She did not explicitly cite Israeli oppression of Palestinians as her reason for canceling, but the subtext of her actions is clear and we thank her for her principled stand. …

…Remember, “Operation Protective Edge,” the Israeli bombing of Gaza last summer, resulted in the deaths of over 2,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians, including more than 500 Palestinian children. It is hard for us over here to imagine what it is like to be exiled, disenfranchised, imprisoned, rendered homeless and then slaughtered, with no place to flee. Hopefully, in the end, love will triumph. But love will not triumph unless we stand up to such injustice and fight it tooth and nail, together.

Dionne, your words indicate that part of you is set on going through with your concert. I am appealing to another part of you, to implore that other part to join us. We will welcome you. It is more than likely that you harbor reservations in your heart about what Israel is doing to the Palestinians, that when you see a mother’s child in ruins you wonder what if that child were mine? It is not too late to hear those reservations, to listen to that other voice, to value freedom and equality for all over the value you place on your concert in Tel Aviv.

When global pressure finally forces Israel to end its occupation, when the apartheid wall comes down, when justice is served to Palestinian refugees and all people there are free and equal, I will gladly join you in concert in the Holy Land, cross all the boundaries and share our music with all the people.”

Respect.

16. genesto
    May 14, 2015, 12:51 pm

Boycotting Ben and Jerry’s, like boycotting Coke, accomplishes two things. It supports Palestinian justice in a meaningful way, and directs people away from what is essentially fattening junk food with no nutritional value. It’s a win-win situation!

17. HarryLaw
    May 15, 2015, 11:43 am

I had many visions of what Hostage looked like, but at 6 ft. 1 in., 165 pounds, and 32 in. waist. Never in a million years, an intellectual James Bond lookalike.

• just
      May 15, 2015, 11:46 am

Spot- on, HarryLaw!

• Bumblebye
      May 15, 2015, 3:12 pm

Ah, he didn’t say whether he still has the same head of hair as he had when he left high school, now did he?…

18. joer
    May 15, 2015, 12:43 pm

So BDS is taking on two icons of Happy Hippy Capitalism…In fact, they are taking on the basic foundation of Happy Hippy Capitalism-that the way to save the planet and humanity is to let nice guys like Ben and Jerry to make decisions that affect everybody because they thought of a clever way to market expensive ice cream….And believe me, there is going to be a lot of push back if you tell people that eating Jerry Vanilla ice cream will not bring about world peace.

The whole new style of capitalism was created in the cultural melting pot–or perhaps cultural”salad bowl” would be a more appropriate metaphor-of social change movements, drug dealing, and all the new commercial opportunities brought about by the hippie movement: everything from rock music to bell bottoms to swingers clubs. The whole protest/counter culture was streamlined into mainstream consumer culture. The ethic of self awareness devolved into self centeredness, all the things that denoted protest became commodities. That’s all very good, but it is all meaningless and built on a weak foundation if most of the world is left out of the fun.

19. catalan
    May 15, 2015, 4:52 pm

I actually worked in the icecream business for a bunch of years (let the Renaissance man jokes begin). Anyway, they employ mainly immigrants, young students, single mothers. Guess who your boycott will hurt. Mr Benjamin and Mr Gerald? Yeah right – I am sure they will be fine in their Colorado villas or whatever.
    If store revenues go down, their shifts get reduced. But go ahead, I am out of this niche now.

20. justahappyguy
    August 9, 2015, 5:53 pm

Boycott Ben & Jerry’s parent company Unilever. After all, I am sure we can live without the hundreds if not thousands of products that they produce.
    BDS baby all the way!!

21. pianoteacher
    March 25, 2016, 1:11 pm

We have been handing out the boycott Ben and Jerry’s fliers for the last three years at Greenbrae. I was starting to arrange our fourth stint there, only to find that it has closed down!
    We like to think it was because of us. :-)
    So I’m mailing my fliers to a San Jose group so they can do them there. Do join in if you live in that area.