UN bowed to ‘fearmongering and threats’ from powerful governments to cover up ‘painful truth’ of Israeli apartheid — UN official’s resignation letter

Yesterday Rima Khalaf resigned as executive secretary of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia after the agency was forced to retract a report stating that Israel is an “apartheid regime.” Khalaf’s letter of resignation to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was translated and posted by poet Lena Khalaf Tuffaha today on her Facebook page. Here is that translation:

Honorable Secretary General,

I have given a great deal of consideration to the letter I received from your office, and I assure you that I in no way question your right to issue instructions to remove the report from the ESCWA web site, as I do not question that as employees of the United Nations, we must all execute the orders of our Secretary General.

I know very well your commitment to the principles of human rights in general and your position on the rights of the Palestinian people specifically. And I also understand the anxiety you must have in these difficult times that leave you with few good choices.

It is clear to me the kinds of pressures and threats to which the United Nations and you personally are subjected by states with authority and influence, because of the publication of the ESCWA report (Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid)[still available here]. I am unsurprised that these states, which are run today by governments with little concern for international principles and human rights, should resort to tactics of fearmongering and threats when they fail to defend their policies and practices which violate the law. It makes sense that a criminal would attack those who defend the cause of his victims, but I find myself incapable of bowing to such pressures, and not because of my role as an employee of the United Nations, but simply as a sane human being. For I believe—as you do—in the values and noble principles that have always represented the forces of good throughout history, and upon which our organization, the United Nations, was founded. And, like you, I also believe that discrimination against any human being on the basis of religion or skin color or gender or ethnicity is absolutely unacceptable, and cannot be made acceptable by political maneuvering or brute force. And I believe that to speak truth to power is not only a human right, it is our obligation.

Over the course of two months, I have been instructed to withdraw two reports published by ESCWA, not for any error or shortcomings within the reports themselves and not necessarily because you yourself disagree with their content, but because of political pressures from countries implicated by their blatant violations of the rights of people in the region and human rights in general.

You have seen with your own eyes how the people of this region are enduring episodes of pain and suffering unprecedented in their modern history, and that the deluge of catastrophes that has overtaken them today is a direct result of unchecked oppression which has been ignored, or covered up, or openly engaged in by governments with dominance and force within the region and outside of it. These same governments are the ones pressuring you today to silence the voice of truth and the calls for justice represented by this report.

In view of all that I have stated here, I can only insist on the findings of the ESCWA report, which state that Israel has built an apartheid regime which aims to give one ethnic group control over another. The evidence provided in the report is incontrovertible, and here it is sufficient to point out that anyone who has attacked the report has been incapable of calling into question a single word of its actual content. I see it as my obligation to shine a light on the truth and not to hide it or obscure the testimony and evidence it provides.

The painful truth is that an apartheid regime still exists in the 21st century, and this is unacceptable under any law and is morally unjustifiable.

As I make this statement, I claim no moral superiority and no greater clarity than you possess, the matter is simply that my statements are a result of an entire life spent here, in this region, witnessing the horrific consequences of stifling people and preventing them from expressing the truth of their suffering through peaceful means.

As such, and after great consideration, I realize that I too have no choice. I cannot withdraw, once again, a United Nations report, an exceptionally researched and well-documented report about grave violations of human rights. I also realize that the clear directives of the Secretary General of the United Nations must be executed. And so the only way to resolve this tangle is for me to step aside and leave it to someone else to do what my conscience prevents me from doing. I realize I have only two weeks of service remaining in my post, so my resignation is not meant to exert any political pressure on you. I am simply resigning because I believe my duty to the peoples of the region that we serve, and to the United Nations, and to myself, is not to silence the testimony about a crime that causes such suffering to so many human beings. For this reason, I submit to you my resignation from the United Nations.

Translator Lena Khalaf Tuffaha prefaced the posting with these words:

Dr. Rima Khalaf, career diplomat extraordinaire, personal hero, and Executive Secretary of ESCWA, resigned today after the UN Secretary General tried to withdraw a report that correctly identified Israel as an apartheid regime. Anyone who cares about freedom and equality should read her letter of resignation, which I have translated here. Her letter is a document that is now part of the history of the struggle for freedom. And anyone in the west who’s super worried about women in the Arab world should sit down, because we have Rima and many women like her who just need everyone to get out the way so we can get our work done. Khalaf women don’t play. Palestinian women don’t play.

Thanks to Nada Elia.

About Mondoweiss Editors

1. just
    March 18, 2017, 12:34 pm

Rima Khalaf is indeed heroic and is the epitome of integrity. Her letter is stark, true, and extraordinary. So are her actions.

The truth that millions have known, suffered, and anguished over is out in the sunlight. Nothing and nobody can bury it ever again.

Thank you, Lena Khalaf Tuffaha and Nada Elia. Thank you, MW.

• Maghlawatan
      March 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Israel can huff and puff but apartheid is out in the open. They might squeeze another decade out but reality is really going to hurt. Nothing can stop this.

• genesto
        March 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

— especially if they realize their ‘dream’ of one Jewish state with apartheid formalized by law.

• eljay
        March 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

Zionists and other defenders of the religion-supremacist “Jewish State” project seem to think that having an imperfect label applied to their evils somehow transforms those evils into virtues. It’s like the serial rapist of under-aged girls believing he’s a law-abiding citizen because people refer to his crimes as pedophilia.

2. Theo
    March 18, 2017, 1:33 pm

Chapeau off to this courageous woman, one has to ask, how many men would risk of their jobs to tell the truth? All UN Secretary Generals during the past 50 years or so are nothing, but agents of the west, cowardly old men!

3. HarryLaw
    March 18, 2017, 1:50 pm

A UN spokesman on Friday claimed the issue with Khalaf was not the content of the report but as a result of her failure to follow the necessary procedure before the publication.

“This is not about content, this is about process,” said UN chief Antonio Guterres’ spokesman Stephane Dujarric.

“The secretary-general cannot accept that an undersecretary-general or any other senior UN official that reports to him would authorise the publication under the UN name, under the UN logo, without consulting the competent departments and even himself,” he told reporters.

Al Jazeera’s Tyab said it was “highly unlikely” that the UN leadership was unaware of the report’s existence or the language inside it before its publication. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/official-resigns-israel-apartheid-report-170317182241142.html
    Whats going on here, the Sec Gen seems to be using breach of procedure [so called] to withdraw a report for what appear to be pure political motivations. Is it the Sec Generals job to serve the UN and all its members equally and without fear or favour?
    Apparently the executive summary is still on the UN website. It has a major error and differs from the full report.
    “Domain 3 is the system of military law imposed on approximately 6.6 million Palestinians who live in the occupied Palestinian territory, 4.7 million of them in the West Bank and 1.9 million in the Gaza Strip”. Approx two million out.

4. Citizen
    March 18, 2017, 2:51 pm

This is being spun on US cable TV news/infotainment shows as a courageous stance by US Ambassador to UN, Nikki Haley–they tell the US public she is standing against UN’s biased attack on only democracy in ME, Israel. This media does not even mention any details of the report or even the name of Ms Kahalaf.

• Keith
      March 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

CITIZEN- “This is being spun on US cable TV news/infotainment shows as a courageous stance by US Ambassador to UN, Nikki Haley….”

March 19, 2017, 3:55 pm

“It would appear that Samantha Power changed her name to Nikki Haley and became Trump’s UN ambassador.”

I think I see where you’re coming from, “Keith”. On a clear day, I can see it from my house.

• Keith
        March 20, 2017, 10:44 am

MOOSER- “But there’s one thing I wish you would explain: If Trump gets the US in even worse trouble militarily than Bush, Obama and Hilary have been able to manage, will it be more Obama’s fault or more Clinton’s fault?”

Hilary? Hilary??? Do you mean Hillary? As for blame, the Deep State gets my vote. We have been on a downward trajectory for quite some time, each administration somewhat worse than the previous one, Presidents primarily salesmen for the elite agenda, Obama particularly effective in that regard. I still have some hope that Trump’s ineptitude will inspire resistance and slow down the imperial juggernaut somewhat. As for Hillary, she was a well-oiled war machine but who knows? That, my friend, is why I voted for Jill Stein, unlike some folks who continue to carry water for the Princess of Darkness, she of the chainmail pantsuit.

March 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

“Hilary? Hilary??? Do you mean Hillary?”

Perhaps the song wil hellp me remember.

 (♫ to the tune of “Dallas” ♫♪)

‘We call her Hillary!
        My-oh-my,
        A big “Hi” double “L” ,
        And an a-r-y!’

March 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

“I still have some hope that Trump’s ineptitude will inspire resistance and slow down the imperial juggernaut somewhat.”

War is the easiest thing for a President to do, and the Pres. is C-in-C no matter how unpopular he is, or how unacceptable his domestic policy is.

• eljay
        March 20, 2017, 1:56 pm

|| Mooser: … You, sir, are determined to launch me on a hi-way to “L”. (which has two “L’s” just like “Hillary”) … ||

White pant suits, Secret Service
        Nobody’s going to get too near
        Saved e-mails make her nervous
        Find a way to make ’em disappear
        Hey Russia, don’t need you
        How she wish that you don’t exist
        Dirty secret, but it’s true
        All her friends are wealthy Zionists

She’s on a hi-way to “L” …

(with apologies to AC/DC)

• Keith
        March 20, 2017, 2:23 pm

MOOSER- “Really? My impression during my post WW2 life has always been that it takes a capable and powerful US President to avoid war, and limit intervention.”

My, and didn’t Obama do one heck of a job there! He was the only US President to be involved in a war his entire 8 years in office. And he BRAGGED about it. Dear sweet Mooser, are you really unaware of the extent that the US has intervened militarily throughout the world since World War II? All weak Presidents? Bill Blum has compiled a list which has been posted on Mondoweiss and could easily be searched if the comments section was working. Since I know how busy you are commenting, I have linked to a brief article by Blum on US aggression.

“Since the end of World War 2, the United States has:

Attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments, most of which were democratically-elected.

Dropped bombs on the people of more than 30 countries.

Attempted to assassinate more than 50 foreign leaders.

Attempted to suppress a populist or nationalist movement in 20 countries.

Grossly interfered in democratic elections in at least 30 countries.

Though not as easy to quantify, has also led the world in torture; not only the torture performed directly by Americans upon foreigners, but providing torture equipment, torture manuals, lists of people to be tortured, and in-person guidance by American instructors.”

March 20, 2017, 4:40 pm

“My, and didn’t Obama do one heck of a job there”

No he did not. . Why Obama ever believed any of that “we can use drones, sir” is beyond me. For one thing. But don’t get me started. And Trump will be even more malleable than Obama.

Trump will be easy meat for the Deep State or MIC, and will badly, badly, need distractions. And there’s plenty of places other than Russia to fight.

5. xanadou
    March 18, 2017, 8:56 pm

Respect!

Awe-inspiring Grace and Courage under pressure from a widely despised predatory parasitic wanna-be global player and its cowardly stooges.

Israel, as mentioned in Ms Khalaf’s letter, has no counter-arguments to any of the points made in the report, so it had to resort, yet again, to underhanded, same-old invectives and unseemly pressure on its useful idiot flunkies to do its bidding which can only be perceived as a backhanded admission that the report is true. History already knows that.

Similar pressure, albeit in a different, more deadly form, was exercised by the Nazis during the 1943 destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto. And yet, despite the deadly carnage inflicted on the rescuers, including so many members of my own family who had fought in the Resistance, that fight continued. I’ve said it before, and I will say it again: all those people who had paid the ultimate price to save Jewish lives because it was the only just and acceptable option for them to pursue, inspire me today to fight for justice and freedom, inter alia, for a people who are suffering and dying at the hands of the descendants of some of those rescued way-back-then; the descendants who owe their existence to the massive Network of determined rescuers, their honour, courage and love of humanity. And their lives.

If the present-day cowards cannot bring themselves to acknowledge their mistakes, even grant respect to the humanity of their detractors then their community’s future is in jeopardy at their own hands. They are already witnessing the tribe’s slow dissolution b/c for many their shared faith is no longer a compelling reason to pledge their allegiance to organised cruelty usually associated with blood-thirsty fanatics. By visiting cowardly terror, in whatever its form, on anyone acting on his/her compassion for humanity, rather than convincingly argue their points, they will only give History further arguments for condemnation that their own not-yet-born descendants will have to live with for a very long time, and hope that there will be others who will, in the name of their shared humanity, stand up and protect them, again, from any violence, whatever its form.

The undeniable truth is out.

• just
      March 19, 2017, 3:42 am

“The undeniable truth is out.”

Yes it is. Thank you for your entire comment, xanadou.

Compare and contrast the following:

“Arab Diplomat Behind UN’s Israel ‘Apartheid’ Report to Get Top Palestinian Honor

The nixed report said Israel established an ‘apartheid regime that dominates the Palestinian people’ – an accusation never before made by a UN body.”

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/palestinians/1.778031?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

~with~

“Israel to Give Highest Honor to Leader of Group That Settles Jews in Arab Jerusalem

David Be’eri, the director of Elad, is one of the founders of the Jewish enclave in the Arab neighborhood of Silwan in Jerusalem. Be’eri is ‘one of the great builders of Jerusalem in modern times,’ Education Minister Bennett says.”

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.777765

Now this:

“Who Are You Applauding, Israel?

The selection of this year’s winners of the Israel Prize for lifetime achievement and exceptional contribution to the nation should not be taken lightly: For the first time in its history, the state has decided to award its highest honor to the occupation. It has never done that before, certainly not so crassly, without a whit of shame, without downcast eyes, blinking, stuttering or beating around the bush.

The prize is to be awarded to an occupier and his accomplices. One is a direct accomplice, a racist and deeply malicious ultranationalist. The other is an accomplice of the army, an indirect accomplice of the occupation, filled with good intentions. Both will receive the Israel Prize, setting a new record in Israel’s moral decline. An enterprise that began in secret, hesitantly and with a hint of shame, gradually gained legitimacy and ballooned to monstrous proportions, now garners awards.

In a normal country, David Be’eri’s place would be in court. The history of Elad, the association he founded, is paved with typical settler fraudulence: straw companies, collaborators, forged documents, extortion, bribery and greed, together with violent security companies, militias that wreak terror. This rot will now get a prize. Be’eri’s patently immoral goal justifies any means, in his view. Under the guise of archaeology, beautification and tourism, his vile and transparent aim is Judaization, in other words ethnic cleansing. Transfer in Jerusalem. The judiciary made it legal, the state cooperated and is now cheering as well.

For whom do you cheer, Israel? For the man who expelled thousands from their homes and made miserable the lives of tens of thousands? For the man who turned a Palestinian village into a Jewish tourist site? It’s a pity the prize jury didn’t bother to visit Silwan. Their prizewinner is the one responsible for violently goading residents of the weak and downtrodden neighborhood, where Israeli flags and armed guards bully them day and night.

It’s a pity the jury members never witnessed people being turned out of their homes and into the street, on the orders of Be’eri and his gang. Be’eri doesn’t care, but awarding the prize to someone of his ilk, who supports and carries out population transfer, redefines Israel: From now on it is proud of its crimes. That was never the case before.

The winner of the year’s second Israel Prize for lifetime achievement is undoubtedly well-intentioned. Zvi Levy is a kibbutznik and a senior officer in the reserves, who decided to devote his life to helping lone soldiers — soldiers without family in Israel — and the needy. Nothing wrong with that. But why, of all the needy people of the state and its victims, did he choose soldiers? Not the poor or the disabled, not refugees or old people, not Ethiopians or Palestinians, but soldiers. Thus Levy continues the inglorious tradition of begging on behalf of the last group to need aid.

The army, drowning in its allocations, cannot be counted among Israel’s needy. Soldiers, some of whom carry out evil acts of the occupation, do not deserve it. The decision to give the prize to Levy, who uses a wheelchair and a respirator, while touching, is questionable.

That decision, too, is not coincidental. The state, which in this case (and others) is … Naftali Bennett, decided to give its highest accolade in the realm of social affairs to an accomplice of the occupation and an accomplice of the army. That says something about the state’s priorities and everything about its values.

And who is cheering this dispiriting trumpet blast? The opposition. Yesh Atid Chairman Yair Lapid, of course: “You are the proof that love of country and unity are the way,” he declaimed, as he does about everything, and the masses of fools who follow him stuck his words on their refrigerator doors.

But Zionist Union Chairman Isaac Herzog won the contest for “most cloying” by a knockout. He called Be’eri “a scholar and revealer of Jerusalem’s secrets,” after congratulating “Zvika and Davideleh,” for “their great projects for the people and the state.” The transfer contractor is the “revealer of Jerusalem’s secrets,” and Herzog is the revealer of Israel’s secrets: The entire state is Elad.”

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.778065

He nailed it. Again.

• Stephen Shenfield
        March 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Israeli soldiers do need aid — to help them stop being soldiers.

March 20, 2017, 11:57 am

“Israeli soldiers do need aid — to help them stop being soldiers.”

Israel does not have the resources to discard the two generations devoted to the occupation.

• Theo
        March 20, 2017, 2:00 pm

A great number of IDF soldiers are young jews from the USA and other western nations. I would help them by offering them, when they return home, either two years in their military at home, or two years in jail!
        That would cut down the number of those killers in Palestina!

6. Kay24
    March 18, 2017, 10:04 pm

Unfortunately, we have come to a stage where members of various UN bodies cannot make any accusations against Israel, criticize it, or condemn it, for what everyone knows are endless crimes of occupation, land grabs, human rights violations, excessive force against civilians, and Jewish terrorists attacking Palestinians and stealing from them. Israel will be outraged about their crimes being criticized and that the world has been reminded once again it’s crimes, and the US will once again step in to protect the nation it nurtures, aids and arms.
    The Palestinians will continue to be occupied, and their lands will be all stolen.
    Isn’t US policies great?

• inbound39
      March 20, 2017, 11:43 am

Unfortunately it is what Americans voted for, knowing full well Israel dominates and manipulates the American government and that Israeli money funds ALL successful candidates so its bidding can be done. Until America gets its pride and values back and casts out the Israeli influences in its political system America will never be viewed as great. Israel single handedly, without a shot being fired, has made the humiliation of America complete……..something it will look back on in years to come with complete and utter distaste. Surely this is not what American veterans fought and died for. How does this honour their memory and sacrifice?

• Kay24
        March 21, 2017, 6:32 am

Unfortunately we will never see America rid of Israel’s evil influences in our lifetime.

7. Ismail
    March 19, 2017, 9:11 am

With all due respect to this magnificent woman, wouldn’t it have been a much more powerful political statement to simply refuse to withdraw the document and force Guterres’ hand into firing her?

Preet Bharara (whose legacy is not as sterling as his hagiographers suggest, but still…) did just this, refusing to resign and forcing Trump to fire him. This caused much more ink to be spilled on his behalf and therefore publicized the bestiality of the Trump administration more than his resignation would have.

Nixon ordered Cox to limit his investigation into Watergate. Instead of resigning, Cox refused and Nixon had to go through Richardson and Ruckelshaus (both of whom resigned but, significantly, first refused to carry out Nixon’s command ) before he got Bork to do the deed. The sordid episode’s notoriety was magnified by the refusals.

How much more brilliantly would Guterres’ contemptible behavior have been illuminated had he been forced on the world stage to fire a brave woman defending the rights of the dispossessed, how much more obvious to the eyes of all the obsequious toadying of the UN to the US and its mideast client….

• lysias
      March 19, 2017, 11:18 am

• Ismail
        March 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Let’s be precise. I said Trump’s shitcanning of Bharara revealed the bestiality of his administration. It is bestial b/c it ravenously impoverishes the poor as it stuffs the coffers of the useless rich, i.e., neoliberalism on stilts. Bharara made baby steps to address this, which is why Trump wanted him out. Of course he had the right to do so, but we are not talking about his rights; we are looking at what animated his decision to fire this particular individual. In this case, devotion to wealth transfer and a feral hatred of anyone who might mitigate his barbarism.

• Keith
        March 19, 2017, 6:34 pm

LYSIAS- “How was there anything “bestial” about Bharara’s firing? Isn’t it every president’s right to hire and fire U.S. Attorneys? Isn’t it customary for every new administration to start with a new team?”

Your points are well taken. There is enough to complain about with the Trump administration without resort to bogus claims, the pot suddenly hysterical that the kettle is black. I offer a couple of quotes and links to make the point.

“In days gone by, it was customary for USAs to serve out their four year terms when a new President took office (although in the first two years of the Reagan administration, a majority of the USAs were replaced). That’s no longer the case. In fact, in March 1993, Attorney General Janet Reno took a similar action, asking 93 holdover USAs to resign.” (Jerri-Lynn Scofield) http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/03/trump-fires-preet-bharara-and-45-other-us-attorneys-media-hysteria-ensures.html

“At the end of last week, Trump canned 46 US attorneys, the nation’s top prosecutors. The mass dismissal was entirely his prerogative and is common practice in new presidential administrations. Who weeps for prosectors? Liberals, apparently, who have made Preet Bharara, the former US attorney for the southern district of Manhattan, into a martyr. Bharara is now being cast as a white knight who was waging mighty battles against the crooks of Wall Street. It’s a ludicrous portrait for anyone who knows anything about Bharara’s less than glorious tenure as US attorney. As Pam and Russ Martens report, Bharara is a creature of Wall Street. In fact, he has largely functioned as a factotum for the Senator from Citibank, Chuck Schumer. Bharara served faithfully for several years as the chief counsel for Schumer on the Senate judiciary. As a reward for his dutiful role in protecting the careers of ace financial predators such as Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein, Schumer persuaded Barack Obama to appoint Bharara to his post as US attorney in the spring of 2009, during the depths of the economic crisis that Wall Street engineered. One of the biggest cases in Bharara’s tenure was the investigation into the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme, where Bharara’s role seemed to be to protect the felonious fund’s biggest beneficiaries, JPMorgan Chase and Picower Family, who reportedly made a profit of nearly $20 billion from the Madoff fund. Clearly a hero for our time.” (Jeffrey St. Clair) http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/03/17/roaming-charges-my-brain-is-hanging-upside-down/

• oldgeezer
      March 19, 2017, 1:05 pm

@Ismail

In normal circumstances I think you are correct about firing versus resigning. This isn’t normal. News coverage when it exists is often distorted. I personally think a firing would have given them an opening to spin the issue in many more unsavoury ways.

• Ismail
        March 19, 2017, 6:32 pm

More info please. What makes this abnormal? Certainly not the fact that news coverage is often distorted, a fact which obtains across the board.
        What opening? What spin? We’ve already seen the antisemitism sword unsheathed, as is reflexive in these cases. More unsavory than that?

You may be right, but maybe you can explain your position a little more fully?

• oldgeezer
        March 20, 2017, 12:26 am

@ismail
        Can’t be bothered. There is no upside to arguing opposing speculations on the alternate realities in this case. It is what it is.

8. sehsane
    March 20, 2017, 9:29 am

The demand that Israel, the US, and the UN Secretary General made on Dr. Rima Khalaf to withdraw the report that ESCWA published on the apartheid policies of Israel is a stark example of raw power brutally exercised against an international body in total disregard to the basic tenets of civilized human discourse. One would have expected that a democracy like the United States would have wanted to debate the reasoning behind the conclusions reached in the report and judge it on the merits of its legal and moral arguments or the lack thereof instead of wielding its political weight to suppress it.
    The report is not the brainchild of some anti-Israeli politician or someone consumed by hatred toward the Jews , but is authored by two American academicians. They are Richard Falk, Professor Emeritus of International Law at Princeton University and Virginia Tilley, Professor of Political Science at Southern Illinois University. As academics their methodology was scientific and they arrived at the conclusion that Israel applies an apartheid regime on the Palestinians by measuring Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians against the yardstick of universally recognized principles set out in international law.
    Dr. Rima Khalaf stood her ground and tendered her resignation rather than submit to the unwarranted dictates of the United States and the neophyte UN Secretary General Guterres. And by doing so she stands head and shoulders above her critics and earns worldwide respect and admiration.

• Citizen
      March 21, 2017, 8:39 am

Pro-Israel advocates have long smeared Falk as anti-semitic, a self-hating Jew. I imagine they will do the same with Tilley, if they have not already.