‘FT’ runs valentine to religious people dancing to techno on a tank during a war (you know where)

News

Financial Times piece about Simcha Hochman— a dancing Hasid who “believes that music and dance can help people to connect with God”– speaking to David Vajda. Why do editors run this sort of material without any intervention? Imagine if religious Christians were dancing on tanks firing on Baghdad?

[After Hochman moved from Canada to Israel] One of those I was reading was Rabbi Nachman, and one of his main teachings is to reach God through music, dancing and a state of happiness. That’s what happens when I hear techno music, so as a “Na Nach”, a follower of Rabbi Nachman, that’s what I decided to do. Today, we are known all over the country: we drive through Israel, jump out at red traffic lights and dance to techno or trance that is coming out of big speakers on the roofs of our multicoloured vans…

Glorifying a war in which hundreds were killed, including dozens of Lebanese children hit in a building at Qana; and Hezbollah is still regnant across the south of Lebanon. I don’t understand why this stuff gets published.

Philip Weiss

1. Les on April 28, 2013, 1:47 pm

The paper is on sale for £1bn. Perhaps it believes in the nonsense that the few Jewish zillionaires, compared to the vastly more non-Jewish zillionaires, really do have the total wealth our media tells us they do but are committed zionists as well.

2. Krauss on April 28, 2013, 2:27 pm

It gets published because these people are white and live in a country many consider to be a Western country. In short: they are us.

Those foreign brown people dying are just weird so let’s not focus on them, at all.

3. DICKERSON3870 on April 28, 2013, 3:42 pm

RE: “I don’t understand why this stuff gets published.” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: Perhaps it’s being printed because it is churned out by the Israeli propaganda machine and distributed to a very receptive mainstream/corporate media free of charge!
    I certain there were many articles back in the 1930s about the wonderful things going on in Germany simply because Goebbels and his underlings churned them out.

4. DICKERSON3870 on April 28, 2013, 4:09 pm

RE: Financial Times piece about Simcha Hochman– a dancing Hasid who “believes that music and dance can help people to connect with God” . . . ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: That’s one of the reasons I’m thinking about becoming a Whirling Dervish. Another reason is that I think it might make me more of a “chick magnet”.
    “Every day I count wasted in which there has been no dancing.” — Friedrich Nietzsche.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” — Friedrich Nietzsche.

Whirling Dervish credo: Better Living Through Whirling!™

• Dervish – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervish
    • Whirling Dervishes [VIDEO, 01:47] – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJIofU-0jC0
    • The Sufi Whirling Dervishes of Istanbul [VIDEO, 03:45] – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Cf-ZxDfZA

5. Keith on April 28, 2013, 5:29 pm

PHIL- “Imagine if religious Christians were dancing on tanks firing on Baghdad?”

What tanks? I saw a van, but no tanks.

“I don’t understand why this stuff gets published.”

You don’t understand why the media publishes elite propaganda? Good lord, man, it is what the media does to earn a profit. And the biggest lie of all is that there is such a thing as “objective” journalism.

• tree on April 28, 2013, 7:19 pm

What tanks? I saw a van, but no tanks.

May you should have read as well as looked at the picture. From Phil’s except of the piece:

• Keith on April 30, 2013, 2:28 pm

TREE- “May you should have read as well as looked at the picture.”

What? Read and think before I comment? Get serious!

If we put aside my tanks confusion and look at the rest of the comment, Phil is being more than a little disingenuous here by implying that he doesn’t “understand why this stuff gets published.” He doesn’t? He worked in the media and isn’t aware that most media filler stories are provided by public relations firms? That the economics of the “news” media require that they rely on freebies for the bulk of their material? Also, that among reporters, about 400 are CIA assets who plant stories (think Judith Miller)?

As for the Financial Times story itself, there is no real mystery why it was run. In my humble opinion, it was a superb piece of propaganda advancing imperial goals. They humanized an Orthodox Jew, showing that despite his unusual hair style and dress, that he danced to rock music ‘just like us,’ not at all like pious Muslims. It advances the “Clash of Civilizations” meme beautifully, while eliciting sympathy for Israeli Jews who, we can all see, like to dance and smile. What a guy! And it most certainly does not glorify the Lebanese war. Quite to the contrary, it subtly imbeds the war reference in the middle of the article to downplay and normalize the event. This isn’t bad reporting, this is skillful propaganda, the type we should expect from the Financial Times.

That is the story here, how the media is an integral part of manufacturing consent. Further, how in our political economy it could hardly be otherwise. Acting like this is some sort of deviation from the norm, rather than the norm, is a diversion from reality which must be confronted and dealt with.

And as for Mondo fantasies about the liberating potential of the internet, I provide a link to a review of Robert Mc Chesney’s new book, “Digital Disconnect.”
        For a live interview of McChesney, here is the link to Democracy Now.

• W.Jones on April 29, 2013, 1:36 am

What tanks? I saw a van, but no tanks.

• Ellen on April 29, 2013, 9:13 am

Keith,

I helps to read the comment piece Phil wrote as well as the source article:

“Some of my friends even took their van into the fighting zone during the 2006 Lebanon war. They jumped on an Israeli tank, started dancing on it, put Na Nach beanies on the soldiers’ heads and stickers on the tank.”

6. RoHa on April 28, 2013, 9:51 pm

” techno or trance that is coming out of big speakers on the roofs of our multicoloured vans…”

I feel sorry for the Israelis suffering under this kind of terror.