Shot with rubber-coated steel bullet, Israeli’s case highlights experience of ‘many Palestinians’

Israeli human rights activist Sarit Michaeli of B’Tselem has published the video above of her shooting last week in Nabi Saleh, and an account of her shooting.

Friday’s protest in Nabi Saleh was actually much quieter than usual. Many people did not participate because of Ramadan. And there was comparatively very little stone-throwing; a few youths threw stones for maybe a minute. Border policemen had already largely dispersed the demonstration when a group of them started charging protesters who were on the main road leading out of the village.

I was off to the side, near a gas station, filming. I wasn’t in their way at all. There were a few people around me – a medic, two women, and a couple of foreign photographers. But they were clearly all peaceful; the rock-throwing youth were far away from us.

I don’t know if the border policeman was aiming at me or another one of these people. But what’s certain is that he shot from much too close of a range, since the rubber-coated metal bullet pierced my thigh. I estimate that he shot me from 15 to 20 metres away. I had to get stitches, and spent several days in the hospital to make sure the wound wouldn’t get infected.

I have filmed protests in the West Bank for many years, and it’s not the first time I have been injured. But I have a camera, and I’m backed by an organisation – I’m in a privileged position. Many Palestinians throughout the West Bank have been severely injured in this way and rarely does anyone listen to their complaints. Yes, some of the Palestinians who are shot with rubber-coated metal bullets are involved in stone-throwing, and of course the Israeli forces have the authority to deal with them – but not by shooting them from less than 50 metres. And then, there are cases of Palestinians demonstrating peacefully who are also hit by rubber-coated metal bullets. [B’Tselem recently published a report on Israel’s use of crowd control in the West Bank that lists multiple examples of such cases]. The regulations are being frequently and flagrantly violated, and my video is just one example.

philweiss

1. OlegR
    OlegR
    July 24, 2013, 9:44 am

Her own video clearly shows she was shot from about 50 meters range.
    The shooter is the farthest on the left in the line.
    Neither was she aimed at , the guy was on the move.
    Don’t see any justification for the shot though unless he was aiming at someone else and missed.

2. amigo
    amigo
    July 24, 2013, 10:31 am

Highlighting the one sided application of Law In so called Only Democracy and non Apartheid nation.

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish teens rip Israeli soldier’s yarmulke off his head

Ultra-Orthodox Jews and Israeli police face off illustration
    By: Shifra Unger

A mob of ultra-Orthodox Jewish teens ripped a yarmulke of the head of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish Israeli soldier, according to police reports in Jerusalem, Israel.

The young religious teens attacked the soldier Sunday night when the soldier was traveling in his car in the Bukharan neighborhood of Jerusalem. The young mob surrounded the car, blocked the car from passing and tore his kippah or yarmulke, off his head.

The Jerusalem Police Department said the soldier did not require medical treatment, and that it has launched an investigation into the incident.

This is not the first time that an ultra-Orthodox Jewish soldier was attacked in Jerusalem’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. As we reported earlier, several ultra-Orthodox Jewish Israeli soldiers came under a stoning attack after they entered the ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of Meah Shearim in Jerusalem, according to a statement released by Israeli police.

Residents in the neighborhood of Meah Shearim in Jerusalem threw stones at the soldiers, and also ignited garbage cans which were then pushed onto the soldiers, but luckily, no one was injured.

Link:http://www.yourjewishnews.com/2013/06/n27599.html

3. Citizen
    Citizen
    July 24, 2013, 1:06 pm

I guess the rules of engagement are pretty loose when the IDF fires on the civilian population peacefully protesting against the status quo.

4. stardust
    stardust
    July 24, 2013, 5:29 pm

meanwhile, Israeli Deputy Minister of Interior Affairs has said “If we have no other choice, we will have to return to Gaza” – according to Pam Geller …

5. Xpat
    Xpat
    July 25, 2013, 12:09 am

“France 24, which published Michaeli’s story, spoke to police spokesperson Mickey Rosenfeld, who said that the incident was being investigated but that he could not provide further information at this time.”

Standard evasion. Translation: Israeli police hope that this incident will disappear in the next news cycle.
    Had she been a settler and shot by a Palestinian, judgement would have been immediate followed swiftly by justice.

6. just
    just
    July 25, 2013, 9:04 am

So the brutal IOF shoots and then leaves it up to the actual CARING Palestinians to attend the wounded/killed.

Nice brutal & lawless cowards, eh?

7. Citizen
    Citizen
    July 27, 2013, 3:33 am

Yet more journalists/reporters covering the I-P conflict for the American public–with children in the IDF:

I guess when it comes to anything involving Israel there are no ethics in journalism.