Pardon our interruption

Site News

how-to-avoid-traffic-jams-35319_2As many of you noticed, readers and writers were not able to log into the website for a couple of hours this morning. For a good reason, it happens: We had to upgrade servers due to our recent growth in traffic, over 200,000 visits in each of the past two weeks.

We’re grateful for the traffic, though yes, our server costs keep going up; please keep in mind that we are in the middle of our summer fundraiser, and the premium are great cookbooks. Thanks!

AFlmargin

Philip Weiss

1. Justpassingby on June 11, 2014, 3:19 pm

Wow 200’000 thats alot. Congrats on that.

I wonder though if a cooking book is appealing to the crowd here, no offense to the authors, but are these items going to raise alot of money?

Next time, you could do a poll of different things and the 1-3 things(items) that are voted for the most is what people is going to get in return.
    Just an idea.

• annie on June 11, 2014, 4:04 pm

i’m super excited about this:

Also we’re excited to announce that donors of over $200 will receive a book of their choice and be invited to join the Mondoweiss team for a delicious meal at Tanoreen in the early Fall. Please join us, we look forward to meeting you in person!

yeah!!! this should be so fun. of course it’s a little more difficult to attend for people on the west coast (and europe, south africa, the middle east or texas) but it should be really fun.

but are these items going to raise alot of money?

in all honesty, i don’t think most people donate to mondoweiss for the gift. it just costs money to keep the site up. and we could have advertising i suppose, i’ve heard we could make lots of money that way. but it would change the environment around here.

• piotr on June 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

I still think that there should be a “gift shop”, at the minimum, with T-shirts, mugs and posters, and possibly with books and e-books that you support. Perhaps it can be done in cooperation with other web sites that share the fundraising infrastructure?

Concerning cook books, they can offer health benefits and thus increase the longevity of our readers (Mediterranean diet, whole grains etc.).

• just on June 11, 2014, 4:34 pm

Congratulations!!!

piotr– cool Katie Miranda ‘toons on tshirts (I still wish Katie would make some jewelry out of stones from Gaza) & Ed Mast graphics on tshirts.

keffiyehs…

• adele on June 11, 2014, 5:01 pm

Keffiyehs….with a mondoweiss logo? (on second thought, perhaps a tad tacky :-)

Love the ‘toons t-shirt idea, that’s a winner!

• piotr on June 11, 2014, 6:00 pm

As a bicyclist, I do not find keffiyes to be practical.

• just on June 11, 2014, 6:15 pm

piotr- you have to get someone to show you how to secure it properly while you are flying!

• Kris on June 11, 2014, 4:38 pm

Agreed– a “gift shop,” with T-shirts, mugs, posters, books, and even buttons would be great. I’d love to give mondoweiss mugs as gifts. The changing map of Palestine would be great on a mug. There are mugs on which the design changes when hot liquid is poured into the mugs, and it would be great to have a mug that first showed Palestine in 1946, and then, after the hot liquid was poured in, showed the map in 2009.

Here’s an example of a mug that works that way: http://www.northernsun.com/Cheshire-Cat-Mug-%282622%29.html
        “The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Add hot liquid and watch kitty disappear, leaving only his grin. “

• just on June 11, 2014, 6:16 pm

Really cool idea, Kris!

• RoHa on June 11, 2014, 7:02 pm

That’s appalling!

For so important and famous a feline as the Cheshire Cat to be referred to as “kitty” is downright insulting.

• Elisabeth on June 12, 2014, 3:30 am

I would suggest selling the superb Palestinian embroidery. It may sound dull …until you have seen it!
        Each village has it own patterns, and one day in the train, some man recognized the case for my mobile phone as coming from Bethlehem. (It is really meant as a case for glasses, but my phone fits perfectly with space for my earphones.) I bought mine at a church that sells products from Palestinian cooperations, like olive oil and za’atar.

Palestinian embroidery used to be sold as ‘Israeli embroidery’ in the seventies and eighties. I don’t know about now, but the patterns are still appropriated it seems:

To see more:

And watch this:
        Embroidery under occupation:

2. Woody Tanaka on June 11, 2014, 3:25 pm

Congratulations!

• adele on June 12, 2014, 3:27 pm

I second Elizabeth’s suggestion! Please do consider teaming up with women’s tatriz cooperatives (only those that give most, if not all, of the profits directly to the women artisans though) and selling their beautiful products. I would definitely buy knowing that I would be supporting two excellent causes (Mondoweiss and these crafts women :-)

Mondoweiss can give these women great exposure, and we all know how financially precarious their lives are and what a great service we would be doing them.

Readers: Any tatriz cooperatives that you would recommend?

PS: Elizabeth, thanks so much for sharing the video, so very beautiful. Makes me miss Palestine.

• Elisabeth on June 13, 2014, 4:39 am

Thank you Adele!
        I read something about Yasser Barakat, who has the largest private collection of Palestinian embroidery. I found the website of his gallery.

Looking at the embroidery got me so enthusiastic, that I am going to order this book:

• Elisabeth on June 13, 2014, 6:45 am

Maybe this is a good place

This is what their website says:
        Welcome to ” Cross Stitch for Palestine” Palestinian cross stitch embroidery(Tatreez) is a traditional craft practiced by Palestinian women. It has become an important symbol of the Palestinian culture. The Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistic “PCBS” states that 14.1% of the Palestinian families lives in deep poverty, i.e: living on less than 50 cents a day. To escape poverty and economize their families, Palestinian women make cross stitch embroidery pieces and sell them as a way of living. We at Crosstitch4Palestine help those families in promoting and selling their handmade cross stitch embroidery worldwide.

3. ritzl on June 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

Good problems to have! Congrats.

4. Jake on June 11, 2014, 4:41 pm

I want to donate and get a cookbook but I live in Canada. I know you’re trying to keep it simple but we’re not very far away. I’ve received books by mail from Al Awda. I’m willing to pay extra shipping if necessary.

5. Jake on June 11, 2014, 4:44 pm

I want to donate and get a cookbook but I live in Canada. I know you’re trying to keep it simple but we’re not very far away. I’ve received books by mail from Al Awda in California. I’m willing to pay extra shipping if necessary.

P.S. I’ll donate anyway and order the cookbook from my local book shop if necessary, but is it really necessary?

• eljay on June 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

>> I want to donate and get a cookbook but I live in Canada.

If you’re not far from the border, you can have it shipped for free to a U.S. mailbox and drive over to pick it up. (If I lived closer to the border, that’s what I would have done in order to get my cookbook.)

6. Pamela Olson on June 11, 2014, 4:53 pm

Mostly I don’t care that much, but sometimes I do wish I was a rich woman…

• joecatron on June 11, 2014, 6:10 pm

To be completely random, and probably wildly inappropriate for the comments section of a serious political site, I was just thinking about my last time at Tanoreen. I think maybe you were there, too? Birthday party? A few days after Christmas, 2010?

• just on June 11, 2014, 6:19 pm

oooooh! Maybe a MW reunion of kindred souls right here!

7. Eva Smagacz on June 12, 2014, 11:29 am

Ok, if somebody was to email me the date of that meal at Tanoreen, I could arrange the holiday and buy the ticket for the flight in advance. I could also collect the Gaza kitchen book in person. How cool would that be?

• MHughes976 on June 12, 2014, 5:54 pm

I had a rather similar, maybe rather rash, idea in respect of a location in the United States where I have family and could visit more conveniently than NYC. I was going to donate anyway but everything froze – did it work for you, Eva? – when I got to the Donate button, which has not happened to me before.