Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel now, Paris next’

News

Mona Lisa and other art works featured in Israeli embassy Islamophobic offensive, from al-Bab

Well this is one way to win hearts and minds when the world is expressing outrage against the slaughter in Gaza. From the Irish Times (and thanks to Ed Moloney):

The Israeli Embassy in Dublin has removed controversial images from its official Twitter feed, including one of the statue of Molly Malone wearing a Muslim headscarf.
The four photos featured well-known statues and artwork associated with different European countries. Weaponry and traditional Muslim headscarves were superimposed on the images. The pictures were posted last Friday but were removed after online backlash.
In a photo entitled “Israel now Dublin next”, Dublin’s famous Molly Malone statue is covered in a traditional Muslim niquab, a long black headscarf.
A picture addressed to Paris features the Mona Lisa covered in a hijab and holding a large rocket. In an image called “Israel now Italy next”, Michaelangelo’s David wears a skirt fashioned out of explosives.
The fourth photo depicts Denmark’s statue of the Little Mermaid holding an enormous gun with the words “Israel now Denmark next”.
All four photos contain the caption “Israel is the last frontier of the free world”.

This reminds me of Scott McConnell’s analysis that Israel served as “transmission belt” for a lot of bad ideas about the Arab world to the U.S. Today it’s in the twitter feed. But this same cartoonish view of Islam’s threat and of Israel’s role as the firewall was surely conveyed to Dick Cheney by the likes of Bernard Lewis and Bill Kristol, and played an important role in the decision to invade Iraq. As Kristol said, Israel’s war is our war. Though he left out the Mona Lisa.

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. seafoid on July 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Israel is not “the last frontier of the free world”. It’s over the border on the road to fascism.

2. Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 10:30 am

The zionists get more and more crazy with each passing day. Similar to how the nazis were. This is Israel’s feeble effort to win back the support of the thousands and thousands who marched all over the world, protesting it’s brutal massacre of children, and civilians. Not going to happen.
    Pathetic.

• Mooser on July 28, 2014, 12:14 pm

“Similar to how the nazis were”

For variety in in analogies, look into the hot-bed of nationalisms and Chuvanisms and cultural supremacy (and territorial wranglings) which embroiled Europe from, oh, 1850s up to WW2. That is where Zionism came from. Gets you out from under comparing them only to one group.

• MRW on July 28, 2014, 2:08 pm

Or read this:
        “Israel: Mythologizing a 20th Century Accident”
        by Gabriel Kolko

• french_jew on July 28, 2014, 4:42 pm

yeah, the nazi comparison is a bit annoying as it undermines the colonial nature of zionism and compares it to a different phenomenon: the racialisation of a European minority and it’s industrial extermination (nazism).
        However, colonialism and European antisemitism were strongly linked, each nourishing the other. read “Colonialism, Antisemitism, and Germans of Jewish Descent in Imperial Germany” by Christian S. Davis for example.

Which is another reason why zionism is a counter-productive project for jews on the long term…

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 12:53 am

Thanks MRW and ‘french_jew’.

3. seafoid on July 28, 2014, 10:34 am

The Love Song of Yossi Israeli

LET us go then, you and I,
    When the IDF is spread out against the sky
    Against Gaza, a patient etherized upon a table;
    Let us go, through certain Sderot streets,
    The muttering retreats
    Of restless nights in one-night cheap mentalities
    And cinemas with cries from hell :
    Streets that follow like a tedious argument
    Of insidious intent
    To lead you to an overwhelming question….
    Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
    Let us go and make our visit.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Netanyahu .

And indeed there will be time
    To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”
    Time to turn back and descend the stair,
    With a bald spot in the middle of my hasbara
    (They will say: “How his hasbara is growing flimsy!”)
    My Mark Regev , my IDF Twitter mounting firmly against logic,
    My chutzpah rich and modest, but asserted by a simple F15—
    (They will say: “But this not self defence !”)
    Do I dare
    Disturb the AIPAC universe?
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all:
    Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
    I have measured out my life with Gaza wars;
    I know the voices dying with a dying fall
    Beneath the bombs from just beyond Erez.
    So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all—
    The eyes that fix you in a formulated hasbara phrase, you self hating Jew
    And when Gaza is formulated, sprawling on a pin,
    When it is pinned and wriggling on the wall,
    Then how should I begin
    To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
    And how should I presume?

And I have known the purity of arms already, known them all—
    Child arms that are not braceleted and not white and butchered
    (But in the hasbara light, they are not dead!)
    Is it perfume from a dress
    That makes me so digress?
    Arms that lie along a beach, or are wrapped up in a shawl.
    And should I then presume?
    And how should I begin?
    . . . . . . . .
    Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through Sderot streets
    And watched the smoke that rises from the pipes
    Of deluded men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows?…

And the afternoon, the evening, sleeps so peacefully!
    Smoothed by Iron Dome ,
    Asleep … tired … or it malingers,
    Stretched on the floor, here beside you and me.
    Should I, after tea and cakes and ices,
    Have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?
    But though I have wept and fasted, wept and prayed,
    Though I have seen my head (grown slightly bald) brought in upon a platter,
    I am no prophet—and here’s no great matter;
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Jabotinsky hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
    After the birthright, the aliyah, the Jewish policemen,
    Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
    Would it have been worth while,
    To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
    To have squeezed the universe into a ball
    To roll it toward some overwhelming question,
    To say: “I am Hebrew, come from the dead,
    Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
    If one, settling a pillow by her head,
    Should say: “That is not what I meant at all;
    That is not it, at all, you self hating Jew.”

And would it have been worth it, after all,
    Would it have been worth while,
    After the surgical strikes and the Zionist response and the destroyed streets,
    After the torture, after the hasbara, after the explanations that trail along the floor—
    And this, and so much more?—
    It is impossible to say just what I mean!
    But as if a magic lantern threw the nerves in patterns on a screen:
    Would it have been worth while
    If one, settling a pillow or throwing off a shawl,
    And turning toward the window, should say:
    “Israel is a not a democracy ,
    That is not what it is , at all.”
    . . . . . . . .
    No! I am not Max Blumenthal , nor was meant to be;
    I am a vector of hasbara one that will do
    To beat up an Arab , start a scene or two,
    Advise the internet surfers, no doubt, an easy tool,
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.
    I grow old … I grow old …
    I will always do what I am told.

Shall I part meat from dairy ? Do I dare to eat a sausage ?
    I shall sing Hatikva , and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the Birthrighters singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

We have lingered in the chambers of the Likud
    By IDF conscript girls wreathed in Palestinian blood
    Till human rights voices wake us, and we drown.

• just on July 28, 2014, 10:47 am

seafoid– that is amazing. did you write that? stunning.

• seafoid on July 28, 2014, 10:53 am

Just

It’s the love song of J Alfred Prufrock with a bit of editing

TS Eliot wrote it in 1920

• just on July 28, 2014, 10:54 am

Yes, but did you do the editing?

• seafoid on July 28, 2014, 11:05 am

I did . The idea came to me this morning

• Kris on July 28, 2014, 10:54 am

@seafoid, this is brilliant!

• Mooser on July 28, 2014, 12:17 pm

That’s top-drawer, first-class parody, just like Mother used to make! Seafoid really outdid himself!

• samlebon2306 on July 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Somebody should sing it and publish it on Youtube. Great work, thanks.

• MRW on July 28, 2014, 2:56 pm

Brilliant.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 4:14 pm

Seafoid, Seamus Heaney would have been proud.

• tear-stained uzi on July 28, 2014, 5:57 pm

seafoid! I am in awe… so perfect!

So far, it seems to be keeping the “vectors of hasbara” at bay, too!

• RoHa on July 28, 2014, 9:22 pm

Well done, seafoid.

4. John O on July 28, 2014, 10:36 am

Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat. (Those whom [a] god wishes to destroy, he first makes mad.

5. Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 10:39 am

Breaking News. Israel has hit a hospital again. Children are dead, and many injured.
    These monsters have no decency, even hospitals are not spared. THIS IS BREAKING INTERNATIONAL LAW AND A WAR CRIME – over to you Obama and Congress.
    What stinking excuse will Israel make now? No wonder Israelis one of the most disliked nations in the world (but adored by America).

• Chu on July 28, 2014, 11:10 am

Israel wants to be seen as an advanced military with precision strikes, so the constant bombing of hospitals makes me think this is targeted to terrorize the Gazan prison camp.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 11:31 am

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Israel is committing war crime after war crime, just because it can. They have long ago destroyed any ‘target’ with anything approaching real military value in Gaza, and their absurdly overrated joke of an ‘army’ is far too chicken to actually go into the tunnels and fight man to man with Hamas -IDF issue nappies just aren’t up to it. So they are DELIBERATELY targetting the most sacrosanct of civilian infrastructure in an attempt to terrorise the people of Gaza into giving up the fight Bibi started.

And the world mouths platitudes about ‘both sides’ and let’s Israel get on with it.

Israel is a monster, a rabid mad dog off the leash. Who will stop it?

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 12:02 pm

Now both sides are blaming each other. Time will tell. Israel has been the culprit in all other crimes concerning bombing of hospitals and UN shelters.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 12:14 pm

Time will tell? Come on, Kay, you know better than that! Hamas rockets have killed what? 45 people in 10 years or so? How is a single ‘misfired’ rocket capable of inflicting such damage? And who, precisely, has been targetting hospitals for the past 3 weeks?

Of course this was an IDF strike, and a deliberate one too. This is an old Israeli tactic: spread a lie in a – usually successful – attempt to control the short-term news narrative. All reporters will feel obliged to say ”But Israel claims….” as a way of providing ‘balance’ even though all the evidence is that Israel was responsible. Then, in a few days, weeks or months time – whenever the news media has lost interest – they will admit responsibility. The Israelis know that the news cycle moves on quickly and that by the time they’ve owned up to the crime, nobody will be paying attention, and their original denial will still be remembered.

• samlebon2306 on July 28, 2014, 12:50 pm

Exactly, they are scared to face Hamas in a men to men battle. Only cowards with their tails between their legs dare to target civilians. This kind of cowardice became the norm since the last century, and with rise of the Zio-Americon empire, it became more pronounced and vicious.

• DaBakr on July 28, 2014, 4:25 pm

so-then I guess you are completely unaware that 1000s of IDF soldiers have gone into and now occupy over 20% of Gazan territory and are fighting Hamas militants “men to men” as you say? Hamas is hiding in tunnels and IDF have to hunt them. Calling any of the fighters in this war cowards shows that you have very little concept of what battle and war is about.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:08 pm

MDM and samblebon, of course chances are it was the evil empire that did it.
        So far every hospital, mosque, home, even the UN shelter, was the work of the devil. At first they lie and cast blame on Hamas, then the truth comes out later.

I think for Hamas being the underdog, being no match when it comes to deadly weapons (made in Israel, the US and who knows where) and military might and numbers, has done a surprising job of keeping one of the 10th most powerful military forces on its toes. They are now willing to fight to the death as they say, as they have nothing to lose. Israel is killing mostly civilians (cowards), but is unable to get rid of Hamas. They never will. Hamas will always prevail, and if militant extremists like ISIS connects with Hamas, Israel will have a much bigger problem to contend with.

• samlebon2306 on July 28, 2014, 12:57 pm

The rabid mad dog is quarantining itself, so there is nothing to be done.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 7:01 pm

“Calling any of the fighters in this war cowards shows that you have very little concept of what battle and war is about.” dabakr.

Your heroes have just progressed from beating up children to fighting armed men with a genuine cause.I hope they brought plenty “fruit of the loom” undies with them.

• can of worms on July 28, 2014, 2:23 pm

“There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Israel is committing war crime after war crime, just because it can.”

Not just because it can, but in a very Macbethlike fashion.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 6:13 pm

Imagine what the outrage and response would have been from the US had these same crimes been committed by say North Korea, or one of the so called “axis of evil”.

• SQ Debris on July 29, 2014, 1:55 pm

The main power station is burning according to Democracy Now. That means what water was still being pumped will stop. How does “going biblical” on civilians make the road to peace smoother? I think that’s the right analogy. Forget the “their like Nazis” meme. Their like Hebrews. Welcome to Jericho.

• annie on July 29, 2014, 2:41 pm

The main power station is burning

check out http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/soldiers-palestinian-civilians.html

• MRW on July 28, 2014, 3:04 pm

Colonel Lang described their ‘advanced military’ recently as no more advanced than a SWAT team, and undisciplined (as their behavior in Gaza shows, he says) because of the lack of an adequate officer corps of experienced full-time soldiers and leaders in their late 30s+and older, and who aren’t simply call-up reservists. He oughta’ know. He had to interact with their advanced military for 10 years.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 3:35 pm

Yes, the notion that the IDF is a super dooper fighting force is decades out of date, and truth be told was never really true to begin with. The same is true for the laugably overrated Israeli intelligence services: It’s so very obvious that they had no clue what was going on in – or under – Gaza, despite the fact that it’s heavily surveilled by Israeli military who have it under lockdown. They also seem to have been taken by surprise by how many long range missiles Hamas have, even though they will of course deny this, and thier brainwashed people will buy it.

Really, the IDF is more of an apartheid police force with some fancy equipment than it is an army. It has very little battlefield experience. Its recruits and conscripts have, for at least a generation, been so used to thinking of ‘war’ as a video game with no risk to themselves, that they do not know what to do when actually faced with a real enemy. Other than nihilistic hatred of Muslims and Arabs, they have nothing really to fight for and a lot to live for. That does not make for good soldiers, and explains one of the fatal flaws of the IDF – its complete unwillingness to take casualties of its own. Could you imagine Moshe or Yossi, foregoing their I-pads, beach parties and holidays in Thailand to live in a tunnel, like Hamas fighters are doing? I don’t think so. This is an asymmetric conflict in more ways than one. One side are pampered cowards with big guns, the others are besieged patriots who have nothing to lose.

• lysias on July 28, 2014, 3:44 pm

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:12 pm

There is no doubt Hamas is the more desperate side, and will do all it takes to fight until the end. Israel has fought a cowardly war, that on helpless civilians. It is laughable to hear Bibi the butcher call Hamas terrorists for attacking poor little Israel. Sheer number show who the bigger terrorist is, and he could be talking about themselves.

• Keith on July 28, 2014, 5:14 pm

LYSIAS- “A very good description of the situation the U.S. military faced in Vietnam. And how did that war end?”

With Vietnam destroyed and millions of its citizens dead, now a neoliberal paradise for investors.

• Ron Edwards on July 28, 2014, 5:50 pm

Knowledgeable people* double over with scornful laughter at the mention of Mossad and Aman. No analyst in the CIA or U.S. military intelligence takes any of their childish manipulative “intelligence sharing” seriously. That’s why smoking laptops and other nonsense always show up stovepiped to complicit authorities in the NSC or other executive positions, usually via those fake-ass Cheney-era layered-on agencies with two guys in them.

* [redacted]

• Chu on July 29, 2014, 11:25 am

” One side are pampered cowards with big guns, the others are besieged patriots who have nothing to lose.” -that about sums it up. well said.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 1:31 pm

“What stinking excuse will Israel make now?” Kay 24

Israel is claiming it was a Hamas rocket that fell short on it,s way to Israel.

Ordinarily , they would use excuse # 1 = A tragic error , but since the Pinpoint discussion , the new #1 is , Hamas did it.

They might have acquired some Hamas ordinance during their incursion into Gaza and decided to test it out on a “sensitive ” target and blame Hamas.

Wouldn,t put it past them to sacrifice Jewish lives either as in the 4 Israelis killed.

Given the pressure they are under right now.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 2:33 pm

BTW what happened to the ‘knock on the roof’ hasbara line that we heard every 5 minutes during the first week of the war? That seems to have fallen out of fashion, replaced by ‘it was da khkhkhamaaaas wot done it” line.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 3:16 pm

I was just listening to an interview on AJ with a Professor Scobie from Manchester who referred to Israel,s bragging about being the only nation who warns their enemy before attacking them.

Turns out , according to Scobie that this is action is required by law and goes back to the Hague Conventions of 1907.

So much for Israel,s bragging.

I wonder if our law expert , Hostage could throw some light on this.

• talknic on July 28, 2014, 3:47 pm

Search for : Hague Conventions of 1907 http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/hague02.asp

• MRW on July 28, 2014, 3:06 pm

Israel is claiming it was a Hamas rocket that fell short on it,s way to Israel.

Then, how come the Hamas rockets don’t do that kind of damage in Israel?

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 4:05 pm

talknic , thanks , sort of.

I took a quick gander but there is so much.

Any idea where I might find relevant clause.Scobie did not say or if he did , I missed it.

I took second look.Is this what you were referring to.

“Article 26

The Commander of an attacking force, before commencing a bombardment, except in the case of an assault, should do all he can to warn the authorities.
        Article 27.

• talknic on July 29, 2014, 2:40 am

Yes. Article 26.

Also interesting
        Article 25 The attack or bombardment of towns, villages, habitations or buildings which are not defended, is prohibited.

Israel needs Hamas to defend so it can bombard!!!

Article 23 … it is especially prohibited:–

To declare that no quarter will be given;

To employ arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury;

• Djinn on July 28, 2014, 10:10 pm

Isn’t it strange that Khamas weapons are so much more powerful when they misfire than when they fire.

• talknic on July 29, 2014, 7:06 am

@ Djinn ” Khamas weapons are so much more powerful when they misfire than when they fire”

Almost as miraculous as ‘negotiate borders’ in UNSC res 242

• MRW on July 28, 2014, 5:02 pm

From moonofalabama.org with their emphasis maintained:

About an hour ago I copied a piece from NBCNEWS to later use it as part of a (different) blogpost. It was headlined: Strikes Near Gaza’s Shifa Hospital, Refugee Camp Kill or Hurt 30 (emphasis added)

Israeli strikes hit within yards of Gaza’s main hospital as well as at a refugee camp on Monday, leaving at least 30 dead and wounded.
      The explosion near Shifa Hospital around 5 p.m. local time (10 a.m. ET) caused some damage to the outpatient clinic, according to witnesses including an NBC News crew on the ground in the area. There was no immediate confirmation of deaths or injuries.

Another strike occurred at the Al-Shati refugee camp in northern Gaza. At least 30 dead and wounded were brought to Shifa Hospital in ambulances, civilian cars and on motorcycles. A NBC News team in the area said the strikes were in “close succession.”

The Israel Defense Forces told Haaretz that a “preliminary investigation has found the Israeli army did not fire at the Shifa Hospital, and the fire is believed to have been Hamas.” The IDF could not immediately be reached to clarify that account on Monday. However, a NBC News journalist witnessed the attack on the hospital and said it had been fired by an Israeli drone.

Then Israel and NBC changed it to read

The Israeli military denied reports its forces were responsible for the strikes, saying they were the result of rockets misfired by Palestinian militants.

6. Chu on July 28, 2014, 10:47 am

The bullshit graphics are ever more pathetic. 1200 dead Gazans and rising and
    we get some half-baked graphics from Team Y’Israel? Propaganda and obfuscation
    is a full time job with these nutjobs.

The wheels of the bus of this evermore fascist and racist cult are becoming too obvious for mainstream reporters to ignore. Sad that this start-up nation is ruining their chance of legitimacy. Do they aim to have everyone in the world despise them? If so, there plan is working, as they are almost there. Zionism is a short hill to climb.

7. iResistDe4iAm on July 28, 2014, 11:04 am

More deaths threats for tweeting #FreePalestine…

Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine

#FreePalestine.

8. joer on July 28, 2014, 11:10 am

I guess the artist who drew Netenyahu’s bomb is in Jr. High now.

9. Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 11:34 am

This is not the first time the Israeli embassy in Dublin has published outrageously racist agitprop. At Christmas last year, or maybe two years ago, they published a ‘card’ saying that if Mary and Joseph went to the inn in Bethlehem now, they’d be lynched by Arabs. They later claimed their site had been ‘hacked’ although it had been up for some time.

Perhaps it’s the fact that Ireland is known as being very pro-Palestinian that makes them show their true ugly face, or maybe the staff of the Dublin embassy are particularly dense, even by the standards of Israeli ‘diplomats’.

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 12:35 pm

Nothing really wrong seeing a Mona Lisa in a hijab. Last year I saw a poster one in a popular market in Doha and it was more than just a hijab; Mona Lisa also had the face mask that showed only her eyes. I would have bought it but I wasn’t in the mood to carry it all evening, so I passed on it. Nothing at all offensive but rather funny. The only ugly thing about this silly Zionist campaign is that it aims to spook Europeans that in time they will be forced to wear the hijab. Cheap propaganda.

• samlebon2306 on July 28, 2014, 1:05 pm

Well, they forgot to give her a new name, ‘Hajja Lisa’ for example. These nuts are in a free fall and they think they’re going upward. The gravity for of immorality is pulling them to such a very low level, they won’t be able to lift their heads and face the rest of the world.

• can of worms on July 28, 2014, 2:42 pm

Not really that Europeans will be forced to wear the hijab, but that European collective cultural capital will be desecrated. True civilization desecrated by the dirty hands of backward savage immigrants from Asia and Africa. Domino theory. Israel’s war crimes are saving Europe.

• gracie fr on July 28, 2014, 6:16 pm

…….Informative article about the French anti-Semitism nonsense

• RoHa on July 28, 2014, 9:19 pm

I like the line
        “It would be ironic indeed if fear of Muslim neighbors in Paris suburbs should lead French Jews to move to a country totally surrounded by millions of hostile Muslim neighbors.”

• Ron Edwards on July 28, 2014, 5:55 pm

As if Mary isn’t ordinarily depicted in Levantine, hair-covering garb anyway! Do an image search for “Mary mother of God” and see what happens. The Irish probably wondered what the hell the embassy idiots were on about.

• munro on July 29, 2014, 10:50 am

Irish statue is Molly Malone, not Mary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Malone

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 3:41 pm

“Perhaps it’s the fact that Ireland is known as being very pro-Palestinian that makes them show their true ugly face,” MDM

Expect more.
      We , (some 2000 protesters ) were outside the place for almost two hours for the third week in a row giving them a piece of our collective minds.
      They probably don,t take kindly to 2k folks telling them, ( quite loudly ) to get out of Ireland.

That incident you referred to was instigated by the ambassador,s wife who also gets involved in zionist propaganda.

So much for the theory of opposites attract.

• Sycamores on July 28, 2014, 7:16 pm

i agree Ireland has a very strong pro-Palestinian stance but that minister for foreign affairs Charlie Flanagan TD is a known Israeli apologists.

he was behind the reason why Ireland abstain in the UN vote on a commission of inquiry into Gaza.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 8:23 pm

Sycamores , he too is getting blowback from very angry Irish voters who are letting the present gov know that putting our foreign affairs ministry under the leadership of a known zionist apologist will cost them the next election.

I called the FA dept and was told by one of his aids that each minister comes to the job with his/her own ideas to which I responded that his ideas do not jive with the ideas of Irish people who have historically always been supporters of Human Rights and common decency.

10. Justpassingby on July 28, 2014, 11:39 am

Isnt this kind of pictures Nazis warned for if jews “took over”.

Congrats Israel you and Nazis are using same arguments to kill people.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 3:44 pm

Notice that the fools couldn’t even get their Arab regalia right. In the picture, Michalango’s David is wearing a red-and white chequered ghutra of the type worn by Gulf Arabs, NOT the Palestinian black and white keffiyah.

As’ad Abu Khalil is dead right: Israeli orientalism really is of a very poor standard.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 8:32 pm

I keep saying they are like the nazis, but no one believes me, heh.

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 1:00 am

They are little Nazi-like, sometimes, but fascists are pretty much fascists. But Zionism origins go back a bit further, and are in their own way, just as odious. You can look for them before ww1, not ww2.

• Walid on July 29, 2014, 2:18 am

The movement is obviously odious today and has been so for a very long time, but I’m still curious to know if it started out that way or if it became what it is today somewhere along the way.

11. Sycamores on July 28, 2014, 11:57 am

encouraging read

Why Young Hollywood Is More Willing to Question Israel’s Policies

To 74-year-old Abraham Foxman, the head of the Anti-Defamation League and a Holocaust survivor, Jon Stewart “is a hero to so many of us.” But when Foxman watched The Daily Show on July 21 and saw his bit titled “Jon Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel” pegged to the increasingly controversial Israeli-Palestine conflict, he said he felt “shocked and sad.”

“Not everything can be reduced to a joke,” Foxman told The Hollywood Reporter. “I know comedians would sell their mother for a joke, but Jon crossed a line.” But not everyone agrees with Foxman, including some younger Jewish activists in the U.S. who see Stewart’s skit — and the growing number of celebrities, authors and academics publicly supporting Palestinians or criticizing Israel — as evidence that decades of stolid American support for Israel is becoming more tempered.

“I’ve never seen a dialogue like this going on here or inside Israel,” said Brooklyn-based documentary filmmaker Gaylen Ross, an American who also holds an Israeli passport. “It’s shocking everyone. It’s hard to know where to stand when you support Israel and its right to exist, but also understand the right of humanity and the need for restraints. I’m getting unfriended on Facebook by all sides.

12. munro on July 28, 2014, 12:05 pm
    • John O on July 28, 2014, 12:29 pm

My first thought was to wonder what on earth Sinéad O’Connor was thinking in accepting the gig in the first place. But to accept and then cancel creates a much bigger splash than just saying no.

• Mooser on July 28, 2014, 2:16 pm

“But to accept and then cancel creates a much bigger splash than just saying no.”

Sorta shows you something, don’t it? There’s positive consequences for renouncing Israel. Everybody will want to be on record as renouncing Israel soon. I can’t blame them.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 2:38 pm

It’s great that she’s cancelled but her excuse for accepting in the first place – ‘nobody told me there was a boycott going on’ is lame. O’Conner isn’t some dolly bird girl band singer – she’s highly politically aware. Also, when she was initially asked to cancel, she responded by saying that she’s not rich and was the mother of 4 kids etc. Granted, O’Conner is not mega-rich like the Rolling Stones or Rihanna who wouldn’t even notice any money earned from a concert in Israel, but I doubt her kids would starve if she cancelled one concert.

Anyway, better late than never.

• adele on July 28, 2014, 3:43 pm

“Granted, O’Conner is not mega-rich like the Rolling Stones or Rihanna who wouldn’t even notice any money earned from a concert in Israel, but I doubt her kids would starve if she cancelled one concert.

agreed, especially in comparison to the privations Palestinians in Gaza are have been enduring.

• Sycamores on July 28, 2014, 4:02 pm

‘nobody told me there was a boycott going on’

i’m not buying that either it’s not like she doesn’t know Roger Waters. it’s possible that she did it intentionally.

as John O says

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 3:26 pm

Sinead O Connor was educated at Newtown school (Quaker school founded in Waterford in 1798) For those who do not know , that is the Waterford of the Crystal fame.

She may have picked up her opposition to war and oppression at Newtown.

She started her career doing gigs at Downe,s Pub in Waterford while still a student.

Well done Sinead.You did the right thing in the end.

13. Walid on July 28, 2014, 12:22 pm

It’s being reported that 6 settlers died and 10 injured by howitzer fire at Eshkol.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 12:28 pm

Last I heard, the Israeli military is ‘refusing to comment’ on whether the dead were soldiers. Also, a rocket has landed near Haifa, which must be causing meltdown at IDF Central.

Bibi is scheduled to give a televised speech in less than an hour. I expect it’s to announce an ‘extension to the ground operations’ although in reality what that will likely mean is more carpet bombing of civilians. The ‘soldiers’ are probably filling their IDF issue nappies at the thought of having to, you know, actually fight. They are losing big time, but the tragic thing is that this is not making them re-think bibi’s little ‘lawn mowing’ exercise, but to take it out on innocent children, in the time-honoured fashion of Zionist spite and rage.

• lysias on July 28, 2014, 12:38 pm

What does this (from the Jerusalem Post) mean?

None of those killed or hurt in the projectile attack were Eshkol residents, said a spokeswoman for the regional council.

Eshkol is near the Gaza border. If they’re not local residents, what were they doing there? Were they soldiers, or people working in support of the soldiers?

Note that once again these Israelis were not killed by a rocket.

• John O on July 28, 2014, 12:48 pm

So mortar bombs don’t show up on Israel’s warning systems. How did this get past the military censor?

• eljay on July 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

>> lysias: What does this (from the Jerusalem Post) mean?

Also from that article:
        >> The head of the Eshkol Regional Council Haim Yellin urged civilians against visiting soldiers in the area.

There are soldiers in the area of Eshkol? Why is the Israeli army using civilians as human shields?!

• lysias on July 28, 2014, 2:48 pm

This report in the Jewish Press may explain who the victims were: 4 Dead, 9 Wounded in Eshkol Rocket Attack:

Update: Of the four dead and nine wounded in the shelling attack on the Eshkol Regional Council district, one were actually residents of Eshkol, according to the IDF. Israelis are now being warned to stay away from the Gaza border, including volunteers who have been streaming to the area to distribute food and snacks to IDF soldiers.

If it does explain it, that means the shell hit a military area (like the mortar shell that killed the first Israeli, who was also bringing food to Israeli troops on the border).

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 1:03 am

” including volunteers who have been streaming to the area to distribute food and snacks to IDF soldiers.”

Camp followers.

• lysias on July 29, 2014, 9:56 am

Last night’s news reports said the Israelis said the four dead were soldiers.

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 12:44 pm

From Haaretz”

“LIVE UPDATES: At least four Israelis killed by Gaza mortar fire; rocket barrage fired at north”

• a blah chick on July 28, 2014, 1:35 pm

That’s gonna earn Gaza some more pounding. The ghouls will be out in force screaming for blood.

• nettee on July 28, 2014, 3:13 pm

The cull continues.
        F**ck

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 1:34 pm

Walid , do you have a link.

Yalon is on AJ at the moment.Cannot bear to listen to these criminals so sound is turned off.

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 2:18 pm

amigo, was listening to it live on Arabic Jazeera with simultaneous translation to Arabic.

Gantz looked like a bus had run over him.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 2:44 pm

Amigo,

I’m the same. I cannot bear to listen to Netanyahoo. Even when he’s giving an ‘important’ speech, I wait to hear the main points summarised later, so I’m at one remove from this odious person. I had the same reaction when Bush Junior was at large, and stil do with his partner in crime Tony Blair. I fear my TV screen would not survive being hit by the nearest heavy item I’d be tempted to pick up and throw at it. And Netanyahu is NOT worth my TV screen.

• lysias on July 28, 2014, 2:53 pm

If you throw a shoe (at least a reasonably soft one) at your TV screen, I think the screen will survive undamaged.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 3:47 pm

Didn,t someone throw a shoe at Bush ??? if my memory serves correctly, for once ????.

Got two years if I recall correctly.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 8:36 pm

I feel the same way, and mute the television instantly. Every time he speaks he is spewing more and more reasons why they have to keep this war going, and when he describes Hamas as terrorists, murderers, and that they are attacking Israelis, it could easily be Bibi describing Israel and it’s violence.

14. munro on July 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

Weapons maker straps rifle on Michelangelo’s David to tap into NRA support for Israel

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:49 pm

This beautiful statue of David is really a fine work of art, and it should not be used in this disgusting way. I hope the Italian government stops this cheap stunt.

15. Walid on July 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

New massacre by Israel: 10 children dead and 40 injured in a park of a refugee camp west Gaza by shelling.

Today is supposed to be the happiest day of the year for Muslim children and a day to visit graves of relatives. Both are being shelled.

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 1:27 pm

Israel has acknowledged 4 dead but the Kassam Brigade is insisting that Israel is fudging the numbers as it should be 6.

Israel’s channel 10 saying that the IDF will be expanding its Gaza operation tonight.

• seafoid on July 28, 2014, 1:53 pm

Is that the people killed in the deserted kibbutz? All soldiers ?

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 2:20 pm

Kassam said it was shelling an army compound.

16. amigo on July 28, 2014, 1:11 pm

I didn,t know Ireland is occupying someone else,s land.

Israel ask,s what would we do??.

Get the f–k out of there I guess.

• Ron Edwards on July 28, 2014, 6:02 pm

Yeahhhh … hey wait, wasn’t there some THING, you know in the olden days, about Ireland? Did some other country occupy it? Am I remembering that or just making it up? I could swear someone told me … maybe …

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 6:52 pm

Ron , shhhh, Ireland is best buddies with those guys.It only took 600 years to get our “lodgers” to go home.

I guess they got tired of pigs running around our parlours.I know we did.

17. concernedhuman on July 28, 2014, 1:14 pm

Poor israel desperate for PR stooping too low !!

Oh how scared you need to be there are Muslims in your country .
    But there is no problem if AIPAC buys American POTUS and US Congress ….Chilling

18. a blah chick on July 28, 2014, 1:36 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you but I think Mona looks pretty good in a hijab. I’d share my caption for it but it’s a little dirty.

19. Walid on July 28, 2014, 1:40 pm

I missed Netanyahu’s opening statement. Yaalon is now announcing massive blows starting tonight and over the coming days by shelling and bombing from the air, land and sea. He is saying words of encouragement to all the injured in Israel and that Israel is not going to stop until Hamas is totally defeated and asks Israel’s civilian population for its support.

Now Gantz is talking and elaborating on destroying the tunnels and that the IDF will be doing everything possible to protect its citizens. Civilians are asked to move away from border areas. A few more days are needed to complete the job

20. eljay on July 28, 2014, 1:57 pm

>> Walid: … Yaalon is now announcing massive blows starting tonight and over the coming days by shelling and bombing from the air, land and sea. He is saying … that Israel is not going to stop until Hamas is totally defeated …

“Tuez-les tous – Dieu reconnaîtra les siens.”

• Walid on July 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

eljay, I’m sure that’s the intent. These creeps have been talking of repeating the evil of the Dahieh carpet bombing in which they had used bunker busters. I suspect starting tonight that’s what they intend doing over the whole area that borders on Israel. So far they are about 300 meters inside Gaza and will surely expand that distance after they carpet bomb it.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 2:53 pm

Israel is up shit creek. When bibi launched this little ‘lawn mowing’ episode, there’s no way in hell he expected to be giving this speech today. He did NOT envisage a long-term war with IDF casualties on this scale, even if they’re only a tiny fraction of the Palestinian casualties. He did NOT expect rocket sirens in Haifa 3 weeks into the conflict. He did NOT foresee BG airport shut down, even if only briefly.

The sad thing is though, none of this is favourable to the people of Gaza, at least not in the short term. The Israelis are crapping themselves over the thought of having to fight a ground battle. To compensate for their cowardice, they will bomb Gaza to the ground out of sheer spite. They will then call that an ‘achievement’. And the siege will remain. I’d love to be more optimistic, but I can’t.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:55 pm

I totally agree MDM, it seems the war monger has NOT achieved much out of this “I’ll show them how tough I am” fiasco, especially where his ego is concerned. He looks like the world’s worst war monger (even Iran looks good now), he has failed to annihilate Hamas (he never will) and looks evil to all (except those who kiss up to him in the US) for blowing up hundreds and hundreds of helpless civilians especially children. Bibi is a loser in many aspects, and because his ego cannot handle it, he is going to take Gilat Sharon’s advice and bomb Gaza to the stone ages.

21. eljay on July 28, 2014, 2:38 pm

>> Walid: eljay, I’m sure that’s the intent. These creeps have been talking of repeating the evil of the Dahieh carpet bombing in which they had used bunker busters. I suspect starting tonight that’s what they intend doing over the whole area that borders on Israel.

Shock and awe, baby, shock and f*cking awe. Israel and America really do have “shared common values”.

• a blah chick on July 28, 2014, 3:19 pm

Okay, I’m confused. How can Israel complain about the poor Gazans not having any bomb shelters when they intend to use weapons that would destroy said shelters? Please explain.

• eljay on July 28, 2014, 9:05 pm

>> a b c: How can Israel complain about the poor Gazans not having any bomb shelters when they intend to use weapons that would destroy said shelters?

The weapons are probably for those “terror tunnels” built by “terrors”, and not for bomb shelters.

Recently, Mseveral – a Zio-supremacist here at MW – suggested that Hamas should use the tunnels as shelters for Palestinians. I can see why he would suggest that: It would allow Israel to massacre Palestinians much more efficiently, while shifting the bulk of the blame to Hamas, who would be vilified for having filled the tunnels with “human shields”.

22. Walid on July 28, 2014, 3:10 pm

Haaretz:

LIVE UPDATES: Five IDF soldiers killed in Gaza and on border

Netanyahu: Gaza operation won’t end until tunnels destroyed; rocket alerts on Lebanon border; five Israelis killed by Gaza mortar fire; rocket barrage fired at north; Palestinians: Three killed in IDF strike on Gaza hospital.

• seafoid on July 28, 2014, 3:22 pm

They think they can neutralise Hamas.

BTW look who popped up

“In Egypt, former president Mohamed Morsi who was overthrown in a military coup a year ago praised the “resistance” in Gaza.
      “Our compass is set on supporting Palestine against the usurping occupier and we are with any resistance against any occupier,” Morsi said in a message posted on his official Facebook page. “A full salute to those who resist and to the revolutionaries.”
      Hamas is an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, which has been outlawed under the regime of Abdel Fatah al-Sisi”

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on July 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

Meh. When Morsi was in power, he didn’t do much to help the resistance. No, he certainly wasn’t as bad as Al Sisi, but that’s not saying much – not even Mubarak was that bad.

Morsi kept diplomatic relations with Israel and upheld the siege, including during the 2012 attacks on Gaza. It’s easy to grow a conscience when you’re no longer in power.

• Shingo on July 28, 2014, 5:46 pm

And to think that year ago Taxi assured us he’s the bad guy and Egypt had to get rid of him, that the brave Egyptians would step up to the plate and become masters of their own destiny and review the Camp David agreement.

12 months later, crickets.

• a blah chick on July 28, 2014, 3:25 pm

I think tunnels is a euphemism for people.

• amigo on July 28, 2014, 3:49 pm

“I think tunnels is a euphemism for people.”ABC

I think it refers to zionist vision.

23. scott9854958 on July 28, 2014, 3:40 pm

I can’t imagine a more amusing campaign. Israel supporters also typically push for open borders immigration in countries other than Israel. Do they think people can’t put 2 & 2 together? I guess so!

24. Walid on July 28, 2014, 3:56 pm

From al-Ahram:

“8 Palestinian children among 10 dead as Israel hits Gaza refugee camp

At least eight children were among 10 people killed at a Gaza City refugee camp, medics said, with witnesses saying several missiles were fired from an F16.
    But the Israeli army categorically denied any attack on the camp, accusing Palestinian militants of firing rockets at Israel which apparently misfired.

Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said 10 people had been killed, among them eight children who had been playing in the beachfront Shati refugee camp.

He said another 46 were injured, among them many children.

Local residents told AFP that several missiles were fired at a tuktuk motorised rickshaw near a children’s playground.

“An F16 fired five rockets at a street in Shati camp where children were playing, killing some of them and injuring many more,” one told AFP.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 8:42 pm

It seems Israel cannot stand to see little Palestinian kids playing.

This war is going to make many young Palestinian kids grow up to be angry adults.
      They have had their families blown up, homes destroyed, seen their people brutally killed, maimed, injured, bombs falling, and no where to run for shelter. They have been terrorized by Israel, and will suffer many mental problems.
      This is totally unfair.

25. seafoid on July 28, 2014, 4:53 pm

“How much does #Hamas pay to build a tunnel? check it out.
    This could build 86 homes, 7 mosques, 6 schools or 19 clinics ”

And in the same breath Israel bombs 86 homes PER DAY in operation Protective Incoherence

There must be a word in Yiddish to describe the mentality of people like Lerner.

• Shingo on July 28, 2014, 5:52 pm

Lerhner’s a moron.

In 2012, the NYT reported that Gaza was undergoing a building boom from an economy fueled by the tunnels.

Lerhner would only bomb those 87 homes anyway.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:57 pm

I think the moron is disappointed that the Palestinians did not use that cement to build those structures instead of the tunnel, less for the monsters to bomb now.

• PeterAgur on July 28, 2014, 6:42 pm

Why do you need a word in Yiddish? Your English doesn’t seem to be lacking in expressive power.

26. french_jew on July 28, 2014, 4:55 pm

Israeli institutions trying to find support in the west by playing on their common islamophobia nerve is really typical, at least here in France. However it is very dangerous. First for the main victims of course: Palestinians in this case, and muslim minorities in France, but also for jews. One of the reasons being that the french far right and sometimes the mainstream right as well, recycles islamophobic concepts to apply them to jews: a central one being “communautarisme”, which might sound a bit strange to americans. Communautarisme is a stigmata, meant to attack ethnic minorities when they start to form a “community” (supposedly alien from the wonderful values of the french republic that every white french person respects). It was invented in the late 80s and early 90s to attack muslim school girls for wearing their hijab in french schools and has grown ever since. A lot of french jewish neocon figures who specialized in defending all sorts of western imperialisms and in attacking any sort of anti-capitalist movements (Finkielkraut, BHL, Taguieff etc.) also used this concept of “communautarisme” to attack minorities who were victims of racism, mostly: blacks, arabs, roma people. Especially when said minorities are muslims (mostly arabs and blacks here).

Well, French nationalists have started applying it to jews now as well.

But Israeli institutions, as always, are more interested in defending colonial privilege and in destroying Palestinian society than in defending jews.

• Walid on July 29, 2014, 1:44 am

“Communautarisme is a stigmata, meant to attack ethnic minorities when they start to form a “community” (supposedly alien from the wonderful values of the french republic that every white french person respects).” (french_jew)

You’re right french_jew, getting the Jews to move away from anti-republican communautarisme is what Clermont-Tonnerre intended 225 years ago when he declared to the constituent assembly, “Il faut tout refuser aux Juifs comme nation; il faut tout leur accorder comme individus; il faut qui’ils soient citoyens.” In short, Jews had to get on the republican bus by putting France first, which they did for a long while but today, Jews are trying to wield over France the same influence they have over the US but the French aren’t swallowing as easily as the Americans. CRIF has reduced French Jews back to being a nation by putting Israel first and French nationalists can’t be blamed for giving French Jews a bad time. The blame rests on Israel.

• french_jew on July 29, 2014, 6:19 am

This famous quote you just gave was followed by strong symbolical, cultural and sometimes even physical violence against jewish communities in France, and never protected jews from french antisemitism which would of course fully develop at the end of the 19th century up to the genocide.
        Jews were not the only ones touched by this: populations coming from the colonial empire were too, gipsies an finally populations coming from peripheral metropolitan regions as well, were subject to something similar to a lesser extend (the bretons for example were forced to assimilate in violent circumstances) while white french-bourgeois populations are never blamed for being “communautariste” (yet they are often the groups most alien to the rest and most organized).

Jews have a lot of work to do in order to “decolonize” their communities, however I do not consider that becoming abstract citizen-consumers-voters of bigger western States with no specific culture, spirituality and community links is a realistic solution.

The french “republic bus” mind I remind you, is responsible for destroying half of Africa for more than a century in some cases (after having participated in the destruction and colonization of the American continent), for terrorizing and committing massacres in Algeria, Cameroun, Madagascar, Indochina when these became independents. The “republican bus” followed by establishing neocolonial ties known as “françafrique” to these newly independent countries in order to foster it’s economic dominance, geopolitical presence and cultural imperialism (la francophonie). This culminated in the total french support to the genocidal regime in Rwanda in the 90’s and continues today. The french population, just like other western populations, still reaps the benefits from post-60’s neocolonialism. Even with the present economic crisis.

This is one of the many reasons assimilating to the “republican bus” and just becoming mainstream white french people is not a noble alternative to zionism for french jews. As for non jews, this goes to show that it’s important to articulate anti-zionism with other forms of anti-colonial/de-colonial proposals, especially other Europeans and north Americans.

That said, this is very theoretical for now and the priority these days is of course Gaza.

27. Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 5:23 pm

Whenever Hamas gets the better of them, they become sore losers, and come back and hit more civilians with a vengeance. Bibi is looking bad now at home and around the world. His bloody war has resulted in loss of “precious” IDF lives, plus a few civilians, they have lost the PR war, he has been condemned by the world, and lets face it, from the time he started this massacre to now, nothing much has changed.
    Hamas still stands. So really, maybe he may be a hero by bloodthirsty Israelis for killing 800+ civilians, but he has achieve nothing, and lost a lot.
    Still he does not know when to stop, he wants more Palestinian blood to justify this massacre.
    Bibi is a lunatic trying to salvage his pride at the expense of Palestinian people.

28. wondering jew on July 28, 2014, 5:38 pm

Kay24- The comments section of Mondoweiss is probably read by many people who agree with you and to whom your rhetoric rings true. To me it rings false. You are in an echo chamber listening to yourself and patting yourself on the back.

I don’t think there’s much chance of a real conversation or even an online version of it here. But I felt a need to say that you don’t speak to me at all and you are screeching. I accept that preaching to the choir in wartime is the norm and also that preaching to the choir is the preferred mode of speech here. But as someone who’s not in the choir I want to tell you that it has little to do with talking to me.

• Cliff on July 28, 2014, 7:20 pm

@WJ

This is not about you.

This website is not about coddling you.

If you feel a lack of attention now – it’s because there are 100s of Palestinians being massacred at the moment by your apartheid Jewish country club.

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 7:24 pm

I don’t want to waste my time talking to you, make sense with you, nor do I write to win your approval. If I screech it must be in your head not my problem, and obviously you do not like what I say. Clear now?

• talknic on July 28, 2014, 8:51 pm

@ yonah fredman Hey buddy, take your pathetic whining and moaning to the Zionist Federation and the Israeli govt. They’re the cause of the unrest. The Palestinians didn’t ask to be colonized, didn’t cause the Holocaust, have never invaded Israel, owe Israel nothing.

Meanwhile http://wp.me/pDB7k-Xk

• Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 9:06 pm

Thanks for that link talknic, I am impressed with the good work you do.
        I also note your rather interesting comments on Haaretz (if that is you).
        We need more voices that come with so much information, like yours.

• talknic on July 29, 2014, 12:07 am

It’s a pleasure. I’m simply tired of the bullsh*t and pathetic excuses put up in defense of Israel’s indefensible actions

• American on July 28, 2014, 10:46 pm

” Is there any reason to talk to me? Phil Weiss has a theory that American Jews will be the key to the change in American policy towards Israel. If he is correct then, yes there is some reason to talk to me (me standing in for people who agree with me), because if you can’t talk to me you can’t talk to vast swaths of American Jewry. Is Phil Weiss correct about the role that American Jewry will play in the evolution of American policy? I’m too close to the idea to comment on that.”…yonah
      >>>>>>>>>>>

Well Phil, I believe, is wrong–although I can understand why he wants to believe Jews will change US policy on Israel. But they wont for the simple reason that even the Jewish peace activist, wont go where they would have to go on Israel. …no US aid or support, sanctions on Israel , threat of force, threats to their jewish and other politicians…they just wont do it. They are under the delusion that they can keep US support for Israel and ‘talk’ Israel into being civilized— and that is a delusion.
      From what you have written on here I see little reason to try to talk sense to you—-you are deep into the exceptionalism and victimhood entitlement of Jews—exactly what has caused the monster Israel and helped empower criminal zionism.
      You will not give up your exceptionalism any more than Israel will.
      This ‘destructive entitlement” will have to taken from you by the popular demand of non jews in the US and other countries.
      And I have no doubt that after you are reduced from being the specially entitled among the masses to just being equal to others you will blame it on anti Semitism and call another unfair persecution of innocent Jews.

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 1:12 am

“If he is correct then, yes there is some reason to talk to me…”

Yonah, you don’t get it at all. When the American attitude changes (whether or not pushed by Jews, but that would be nice) and American policy changes, nobody will be “talking” to you. They will be telling you. All the talking has already been tried, and hasn’t done squat. You’ll be told, chump.

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 1:24 am

“But I felt a need to say that you don’t speak to me at all and you are screeching.”

That’s it, Yonah, go right for the woman, and say she is “screeching”. Wow, what a sniveling piece of work you are.

” that preaching to the choir in wartime “

“Wartime” Yonah? You really want to say that Israel has declared war? On who, Yonah? There is a reprisal attack, an atrocity, being carried out by an occupying army, a war crime. Or would you like to contend that Israel has declared war on Gaza? Is that what you are saying Yonah? And without a declaration of war?
      Please, tell us about Israel going to war against Gaza, Yonah.

• wondering jew on July 29, 2014, 5:27 am

mooser- do you really have to repeat my name 5 times in less than 200 words? you can write a handbook- fifty ways to act like a bully, from the blatant and ugly to the subtle and patronizing. you are an expert. i will say goodbye to you now. bye.

• Kay24 on July 29, 2014, 8:07 am

Wow I am impressed with the upstanding members we have here.
        Thank you guys for responding to gnats that bug us here.
        Happy to be in this echo chamber with such good company. :))

• amigo on July 29, 2014, 4:39 am

Yonah , you are being BDS ed.

Boycotted and isolated.

That, s your remuneration for your efforts here.

29. Kay24 on July 28, 2014, 7:22 pm

Stephen Hadley on CNN seems to be pushing for Israel to keep mowing the lawn.
    Apparently civilians dying seems to be acceptable for Israel’s bid to get rid of Hamas.
    I wonder if these zionist supporters would be just as nonchalant, if these were precious Israeli kids who were being killed like they do not matter.
    I must say these neocon war mongers have only one answer to any conflict.
    Kill, kill, kill (especially if they are brown skinned Asians or Arabs).

30. ivri on July 28, 2014, 11:02 pm

The Gaza war now goes global – as nothing stays local nowadays. Given the already tense relationships between locals and Arab immigrants in many countries this may serve as a trigger for an explosion on that global front – and if so it will dwarf its Gaza origins in extent and importance.

• just on July 28, 2014, 11:21 pm

And it is Israel’s fault.

All of it, aided and abetted by the US and other countries who will share the blame if they don’t stop their insane and inane support for the belligerent, apartheid, terrorist and Occupying state.

• Citizen on July 29, 2014, 5:53 am

USA, Canada, England are the main aiders and abettors of pervert Israel. The people there thrive on bribery and AIPAC gives them the fishing line. I know because I live in America.

• talknic on July 29, 2014, 1:17 am

@ ivri “Given the already tense relationships between locals and Arab immigrants in many countries this may serve as a trigger for an explosion on that global front – and if so it will dwarf its Gaza origins in extent and importance”

Uh huh. Say …. why don’t you open your other eye …. what about the tense relationships with Arab locals in the M E and the Western countries and ziorganizations who’ve continually colonized, invaded, subdivided and interfered for over a century. Maybe it’s time for them to stop invading, interfering, get their troops and their military aided proxies out of all non-western countries and STAY OUT! Never been tried!

• Mooser on July 29, 2014, 1:17 am

“Given the already tense relationships between locals and Arab immigrants in many countries this may serve as a trigger for an explosion on that global front”

ivri, you haven’t gotten the hasbara order of the day? Today’s kvetch is how Jews are in danger all over from anti-Semitic attacks on account of Israel. But now you are saying that in support of Israel, everybody is going to beat up on “Arab immigrants” as you call them? So which is it, ivri?

You need to get with the other guys and synchronize your kvetchs

31. Citizen on July 29, 2014, 5:48 am

In Egypt’s sandy silence, all alone,
    Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
    The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
    “I am great OZYMANDIAS,” saith the stone,
    “The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
    “The wonders of my hand.”— The City’s gone,—
    Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
    The site of this forgotten Jew Only Democracy.

We wonder,—and some Hunter may express
    Wonder like ours, when thro’ the wilderness
    Where NYC stood, supporting the Wolf in chace,
    He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
    What powerful but unrecorded race
    Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

32. ivri on July 29, 2014, 6:13 am

@Mooser
    I don`t see the contradiction, man: Jews in western European countries are under threat form Muslims there AND the Arabs there are in danger of locals` backlash – not due to support of Israel but increased general fear of violent conduct

33. Kay24 on July 29, 2014, 8:14 am

The only power plant in Gaza has been bombed. Water service has been affected, the radio station has also been bombed, electricity is gone.
    There is a huge humanitarian crisis looming, and if people are not blown up and killed, they will die of hunger, thirst or lack of urgent medical help.

Again, only the US can stop this carnage by threatening to cut Israel off it’s apron strings.

But we are hearing only about Israel being able to defend itself.
    Palestinian civilians…who cares?

• amigo on July 29, 2014, 8:44 am

some more good news.

This morning I went to my local convenience store (Centra) with the intention of asking them to not carry any Israeli goods.

They told me they had received an E.mail yesterday from head office advising their franchise owners that they (Musgrave) would no longer provide goods from Israel.A pleasant surprise.

“Centra is a convenience store chain in Ireland.

“The chain is run by Musgrave, the Irish food wholesaler, however the stores are all owned by individual franchisees. The chain has three different formats available to franchisees — smaller Quick Stop outlets, mid-sized Foodmarkets, and larger Supermarkets. The majority of the stores however follow the Quick Stop format (or are simply branded Centra), as Musgrave also offers the SuperValu format, which is geared towards larger supermarkets. There are currently around 458 Centra stores in the Republic of Ireland and 120 in Northern Ireland. In 2002, Centra’s turnover was €652.6 million.”wiki.

I just wonder what their annual take is 12 years later.

this just another example of how BDS is working and growing , thanks to Israels criminal actions.

Suck on that Israel.

34. amigo on July 29, 2014, 8:50 am

Jan Psaki is stating that Israel has reneged on a commitment they made to Kerry.

Don,t have a link but I am sure you will see it all over US, MSM anon.

Do I see light appearing between that famous relationship.