Dead American soldier in IDF signed up to fight global jihadists plotting ‘Holocaust 2.0’

David Gordon, from Crown Heights Info

David Gordon, from Crown Heights Info

An Israeli soldier from Ohio who went missing for two days was found yesterday: David Gordon was found in central Israel, dead of gunshot wounds, rifle at his side. The Forward memorializes him as a brilliant budding journalist.

According to his own blog, Gordon had considered joining the US Navy but decided that he was more needed in Israel. His “Reflections of a Warrior in the Israel Defense Forces,” written last year, relates that Gordon was 18 and studying in Jerusalem in 2011 when friends were injured in a bus bombing. Soon after that, Gordon went to Poland to visit Holocaust sites on a trip heavily subsidized by my gap-year program.” Emphasis mine.

Gordon seems to have had an epiphany about the Jewish condition on that trip, which was

the most emotionally draining tour of my brief history. Mass graves, remnants of Jewish towns and cemeteries, horrific museums and a half a dozen extermination camps are all we saw that week. Aside from my family’s Polish roots and their unwarranted demise at the hands of Jewish hatred, I felt an unyielding magnetism towards Poland. One incident in particular resonated with me and subsequently watered the seeds of my already growing bond with the State of Israel and ultimately led to my future service in the Israel Defense Forces.
On day three of the dreaded trek, we drove to Krakow home to the Old Jewish Cemetery, ancient synagogues and the factory-turned-museum of Oskar Schindler, the unconventional humanitarian and subsequent inspiration for Spielberg’s Academy Award-winning film. It was high noon on a clear day when our bus stopped at a red light only to be greeted by a storm.
Presumably because of the eager looks on our bus’s Orthodox-looking passengers, a group of around 10 natives standing on the sidewalk faced us and simultaneously and ceremoniously saluted their arms in a hail to Hitler. I was stunned for only a few moments before a current of fury surged through my veins. Some passengers reciprocated with their own middle-fingered salute while others banged barbarously on the bus’s window. Unable to properly express my own buildup of emotion, I slouched low in my seat and began to cry. Perhaps it was due to the overload of images from our walks through numerous Nazi death camps, gas chambers and human furnaces of a dark history or the harsh reality that I was powerless in the face of present day anti-Semitism. Here I was, a mere bus ride away from the the exact spot where the SS butchered and burned an upwards of 80 members of my extended family in the central city of Kalisz over 70 years ago and watching as modern day Poles all but urinated on their graves….

Gordon’s motivation to serve Israel recalls the indoctrination trips to Poland for Israeli youth documented in the movie Defamation, by Yoav Shamir. And it recalls Jeffrey Goldberg’s youthful determination to do the same in the 1980s. “The fear of anti-Semitism is the forge on which” he built his identity as a young Jew, Goldberg wrote in his memoir, Prisoners. “I believed a red river of anti-Semitism ran under the surface of America.” Jews led “the dog’s life of the Diaspora. We were a whipped and boneless people.” So Goldberg moved to Israel (till he found Israel too tough, and came back here to pursue his career).

David Gordon’s 2013 post is feverish about the global threat of anti-Semitism. It is a pastiche of neoconservative and Zionist claims about Islam.

I felt I was needed more in Israel than in the United States.
When Operation Pillar of Defense was launched in November 2012, I was in New York doing research for a feature article on security in Israel and the region as a journalist for The Suit Magazine. My thoughts were with the Israeli people and the IDF and like many others I was infuriated by the ongoing circumstances in Israel. Coupled with my newfound understanding of the vast reach of Israel’s enemies, the war opened my eyes. There is no isolated incident of terror in Jewish history. The Pogroms, the Holocaust, the Jerusalem Bus Stop Bombing, the onslaught of rocket fire leading up to Operation Pillar of Defense and countless other incidence are part of a larger enigmatic epidemic of anti-Semitism that is far outdated yet nonetheless alive and active. To claim that Israel’s enemies make a distinction between Israel the Nation and Israel the People or that they are solely resisting oppressive Zionism is misguided as is apparent in Hamas’s Charter….The threat of modern day supreme spiritual leaders and quasi-dictators implementing their radical ideologies and racial opposition is very much real and the IDF is present in Israel to thwart the very plausible “Holocaust 2.0” against the Jews. Thousands if not millions of of Islamic fascists want to pounce on the Jew much like the conspirators of the Final Solution did during the second World War at a much larger volume of hatred, propaganda and indoctrination than I can fathom. Their rally-calls for global dominance through Jihad and relentless pursuit of scapegoatism to pacify the troubles of their flocks echoes those of their 20th century counterparts. But Israel won’t let their ominous threats become true. I won’t let them become true.

philweiss

1. just
    just
    August 20, 2014, 11:14 am

How in the world? In central Israel, with his rifle? Suicide? Murder?

I must say, he wrote well. His thinking was more than a bit off. Sorry for his family’s loss.

Sorry that he made the choice that he did. I think Americans need to look at this practice of their citizens volunteering to fight in other wars…….. all of them. I am glad that you bring this up, Phil.

You put it well:

“We hear a lot about Americans going off to fight as jihadists. What about those who want to serve in the other side of that end-times religious battle, as warriors for the Jewish state?”

We must have that conversation, imho.

Krauss
      August 20, 2014, 12:38 pm

I think his letter is valuable for no other reason than to illuminate the siege mentality some of these Zionist Jews have.

The reality is that anti-Semitism has declined drastically over the course of the postwar years. If you consider opposition to colonialism anti-Semitism, then it is “increasing”.

Still, the fact is that the world, and most especially the Western world, has tolerated Jewish apartheid and colonialism far more than it has tolerated white Christian apartheid, in large part due to political money and donations, especially in the U.S.

If South Africa had a lobby like AIPAC/ADL/AJC etc, Mandela would have died on Robben island and the old regime would still be ruling.

2. American
    American
    August 20, 2014, 11:41 am

As part of my animal rescue duties I had to take a dog away from a lady yesterday .
    The woman evidently suffers from extreme hypochondria and projects this onto her dog…she was going to 3 different vets and over medicating the dog to the point of poisoning him, along with homopathic ‘cures’ she giving him on the recommendation of her old vet in Maryland…one vet finally realized what she was doing when she brought in a prescription bottle from another vet and started to investigate.
    There was nothing wrong with the dog originally and she had literally made him sick by insisting on medications for imagined aliments.

Pay attention anti semitism obsessive zios….you’re going to lose your dog.

3. jon s
    jon s
    August 20, 2014, 11:46 am

The military police are investigating . It looks like suicide, unfortunately.

just
      August 20, 2014, 11:57 am

I am not shocked– he appeared more than a bit obsessed and eager to slay.

I guess this is not one death that they can’t blame on KKhamas, though.

tree
        August 21, 2014, 6:49 pm

His last post on his blog was from July 15th. “The Sounds of Sirens”

A couple of thoughts about the essay. Number one, it details his reaction to a Gazan rocket landing within 150 meters of his base. I’m surprised he was allowed to mention this, since the IDF and the Israeli government usually go out of their way to obscure the fact that military bases might actually be targets of Hamas rockets, since the meme is that Hamas “targets civilians”.

Second, it seems as though he was not really prepared for the horrors of combat when he describes his feelings during an air raid over a rocket that caused one shrapnel injury. The reaction seems over the top for such a minor incident. He was, of course, only a soldier since August of last year, and had apparently seen no combat.

This of course is just arm-chair psychology on my part, but I wonder if he projected his fear of vulnerability due to his abuse as a child into a fear of anti-semitism and a desire to “correct’ his vulnerability by becoming in his own words, “a warrior”. He probably fought in Gaza in late July and August, as the Givati Brigade was part of the ground invasion. I wonder if he had trouble dealing with what his “invulnerability” caused him to do in Gaza, and found it too painful to live with himself.

Up until PE, the biggest cause of death in the IDF was suicide.

seafoid
      August 20, 2014, 12:17 pm

“It looks like suicide”

That was the name of a piece of music in the film “dances with wolves”

4. ckg
    ckg
    August 20, 2014, 12:12 pm

Last year he wrote about his childhood abuse in Failed Messiah and Huffington Post:

I kept my secret for eight years. For eight years I suffered in silence through the horrors of my own personal Hell. I endured close to a decade of rage, tears and ultimately self-destruction. The memories are nauseating, the shame unparalleled.

just
      August 20, 2014, 12:19 pm

Sheesh, ckg– from your link:

“As a victim of recurrent sexual abuse by numerous perpetrators within Michigan’s Jewish communities, those eight years of secrecy were horrific. Synagogues and other Jewish institutions in the Oak Park and Southfield areas of Detroit provided the secret hideout where I endured multiple forms of molestation, sexual manipulation, and rape from the ages of 8 to 11. But the trauma didn’t stop when my abuse did.

….

But after mustering up the courage to disclose the facts behind closed door meetings with rabbis, I — like so many others — was hurt by the lack of results. With a breath of authority — and without any investigation — one leader in Detroit’s rabbinical court exclaimed that the accusations were “My word vs. The perpetrators’ word” and that there was nothing that he was going to do about it. In a further attempt to muffle my cries, he took out a large volume of the Talmud and encouraged me to read the words in a pathetic attempt to comfort my pain and revitalize my Spirit. Simply studying the Bible and its commentaries did nothing to help me or the other victims in the community. I still feel betrayed by their lack of sympathy and action.

The insular Jewish communities of Detroit, Baltimore, New York, and countless other religious, academic and athletic circles throughout North America and beyond can no longer hide their secrets. Huge advances have been made in the pursuit of justice for victims of all types of abuse in areas traditionally shrouded in social stigma and secrecy. Change is coming and justice is thundering in. Lawsuits are being filed and an increasing number of perpetrators are being exposed. More and more victims are getting help, sharing their story and empowering others. More lives are being saved.

But justice is yet to be served.…”

Frightening.

seafoid
        August 20, 2014, 1:24 pm

Was he Orthodox? Child abuse is a big problem in that community. And zero justice. Reminds me of something I read about a Sikh guru in India who insisted on having a 13 year old girl in his inner circle. And no parents around.

ckg
        August 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Yes, and specifically Chabad, according to a headline. There is a large Chabad-Lubavitch community in Oak Park and the neighboring section of Southfield.

Mooser
        August 21, 2014, 8:27 pm

And because of this he decided to join, the freakin IDF?
        Now, that makes perfect sense, get molested as a Jewish child by other Jews who were in a position of trust, and when you grow up, join the IDF.
        What could make more sense?

just
        August 21, 2014, 8:45 pm

It’s a head- scratcher, alright.

I’m left to wonder why his parents would let him go, knowing of his fragility. (I know he was 21, but really folks!) Has anyone heard from his family? Was he not only a “lone soldier”, but also alone in his family? I read somewhere that his service was supposed to be today and burial at Mount Herzl.

lysias
      August 20, 2014, 12:42 pm

Such memories could easily lead to depression and eventually suicide. If so, poor guy.

5. concernedhuman
    concernedhuman
    August 20, 2014, 2:10 pm

So he was an American. One of the 3 settlers was American US sent FBI to investigate, will they send this time too?

It only happens in Israel !! In which University do students get points and benefits for killing women and children?

Bar Ilan University reservists protesting insufficient benefits upon return to studies

6. amigo
    amigo
    August 20, 2014, 2:11 pm

How did he get from the Holocaust Museum to the “Palestinians”.

Hopefully his family will donate his brain so future researchers can figure out how all Zionists blame the Palestinians for European deeds and insist on making them pay for the sins of others.

I can never get an answer to that conundrum.

just
      August 20, 2014, 6:05 pm

Neither do I. It’s twisted, just like Zionism.

7. joer
    joer
    August 20, 2014, 3:39 pm

Ok, if he was so offended by Poles giving Nazi salutes, why did he join up to kill Palestinians? If that sight caused an ethical homicidal rage to boil up in him, he should have killed the people giving the salute…No this brave soldier went to volunteer for one of the most highly armed forces in the world thousands of miles away from the incident, …which makes as much sense as donating money or giving aid to the wealthiest country in the region.

8. Jackdaw
    Jackdaw
    August 20, 2014, 4:32 pm

Phil,

Have you ever visited any Holocaust sites? Auschwitz-Birkenau?

Mooser
      August 20, 2014, 7:29 pm

“Have you ever visited any Holocaust sites? Auschwitz-Birkenau?”

Because if he did, he would experience and overwhelming spiritual crises, and in a blinding flash of reason and inspiration, realize that killing Palestinians is the only thing we can, and the thing we should do for all those who perished at the hands of the Nazis? I mean, how could anybody seeing those places come to any other conclusion?

But if you want to tell us about the inner wisdom you acquired at Auschwitz-Birkenau, Jackdaw, please feel free. Everybody knows what a sensitive soul you are, and you’ll get rapt attention through the entire mishegos.

• ah
      ah
      August 21, 2014, 11:13 am

I look forward to the day Palestinians build sites to remind Zionist Jews of their support of Isreali atrocities against them.

Jackdaw
        August 21, 2014, 2:59 pm

@ah

The Zionist Jews didn’t build the concentration camps.

eljay
        August 21, 2014, 3:31 pm

>> Jackdaweee: The Zionist Jews didn’t build the concentration camps.

The Palestinians didn’t commit the Holocaust.

• ah
        ah
        August 21, 2014, 3:34 pm

Oh yea? GAZA today is the result of the Zionist experiment known as Israel. Maybe concentration camp is reserved for Jewish suffering. But in 2014, to someone like me Gaza sounds just like a concentration camp.

9. a blah chick
    a blah chick
    August 20, 2014, 5:41 pm

This reminds me of that other Jewish Jihadi, Sean Carmeli, who was killed in July. After he was recruited he insisted on being sent to the Golani unit. It was “jail or Golanis,” one of his friends quoted him as saying. And I found myself wondering why jail?

10. Pixel
    Pixel
    August 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

If you haven’t yet watched it, it’s a “must see.”

Uptempo and quirky. Linked below.

D.e.f.a.m.a.t.i.o.n

(English w/ French subtitles)

11. Les
    Les
    August 20, 2014, 6:10 pm

No less confused than Corporal Jeffrey Goldberg who felt it his duty to serve as an IDF prison guard of its Palestinian prisoners.

More on Goldberg here: http://shameproject.com/profile/jeffrey-goldberg/