Ohio University filibuster: harangue or free speech?

Reaching Wednesday’s Ohio University Student Senate meeting minutes before the scheduled 7:15 start (after a 90-min drive stretched to three hours by traffic), I saw a packed room with a speech already in progress.  As I edged forward, I tripped on a step hidden by the crush of standing onlookers, and landed–Plunk!–on the floor.

A kind student checked that I was okay, and, fearing I’d be embarrassed (as I inwardly mocked myself for being oblivious to essentials like footing) assured me, “Don’t worry, no one noticed because the speaker’s Out-of-Order.”  The woman talking turned out to be Bobcats for Israel President Becky Sebo, who’d apparently interrupted as soon as Senate President Megan Marzec called the meeting to order, cutting off her first announcement. Marzec had started to condemn the threats against “Rabbi Danielle,” the very OU Hillel Executice Director who helped ignite a furor against Marzec by demanding that she resign because of her “Blood-Bucket Challenge.”

But, at that moment—I learned later–, this very Rabbi Danielle Leshaw tweeted in quick succession: “Meeting in order. But students are speaking out. Not in turn”; “Bobcats for Israel leader @BeckySebo calls for Megan’s resignation”; and–seeming to rejoice in a good plan well-executed– “The filibuster has begun. And it’s not going to stop.”

I alternated between taking photos and notes about the stand-off, in which much happened at once, so I apologize if I mangle people’s names or the order of events.  Students videoed throughout, but I’ve yet to find an entire recording; The Post yesterday published a longer excerpt than before, “Video: Student Senate Full”–an absurd title for 12 minutes of clips from a roughly 90-minute meeting.

Sebo read from a lengthy script, but most disturbing was how she seemed to try to make Marzec feel guilty: “Megan, I even stood up for you….That’s right, the President of Bobcats for Israel who called for your resignation stood up for you, because I care about your safety on this campus.”  These too-personal jabs replicate Rabbi Leshaw’s reproaches: “And so when I tell people that I think you’re wonderful, and smart, and that you likely had no idea what your video would spur, they’re surprised, because how could you possibly do such a thing if you have a relationship with the campus rabbi?….if you’ve got university partners that care about you?”

As Sebo continued, I couldn’t hear all the words, but the gist was that, after vowing not to stop until Marzec resigned, Sebo quoted many condemnations of the academic boycott of Israel, which Marzec had endorsed in making her blood bucket action in the first place. Marzec and others asked her to abide by the rules and allow the Student Speakout meeting to proceed, but Sebo simply droned on without seeming to hear.  Senators resorted to a “mic check” to reclaim the meeting, calling out lines like, “Free exchange of ideas,” “Others have the right to speak.” But Sebo’s monologue drowned out discussion. Group replies thundered. Clapping and stomping echoed.

Sometime in the hubbub, a big man in a blue shirt and tie joined Sebo in strolling around the pit reading. I later learned that he read his lines directly at Megan Marzec, towering over her in a way others saw as threatening. By that time I had moved across the room to photograph the audience, to a spot where I could no longer see Marzec. However I snapped a photo of some observers lining up to shield Marzec.

IMG_1355Marzec and others walked over to Sebo, asking her to let others speak. Sebo ignored them.  Soon more Bobcats for Israel strolled about and read too. I scrudged together courage to step on to the floor to take pictures that had a better chance of being in focus (my camera’s slow). Marzec stood on her desk to speak over the Israel-defenders’ clamor. A woman nearby, whom I later guessed to be Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, encouraged her: “Go on, I know you can do this.” That gesture was heartening, for– after Leshaw proclaimed that Marzec “isn’t qualified” to be President and should resign– Hall-Jones had tweeted fawning approval of Leshaw: “Thankful for the grace strength, leadership and support of @RabbiDanielle We are so lucky to have her as a member of our #community.”

Marzec took a vote on whether to call the police. The answer: “Yes.”  Eventually the police arrived.  A man identified by The Athens News as OU Police Chief Andrew Powers (3:45) warned Sebo and the man in the blue shirt that they had two minutes to sit down or be arrested.   Sebo carried on without appearing to hear, I thought, but the video clip has cries of “Two minutes?!” Two minutes passed: Sebo was arrested and led out.  But the disruption continued.

IMG_1367On cue, another Bobcat for Israel in a blue striped golf shirt hopped up to rant from Sebo’s script (above).  Eventually, a bystander asked the big man in the blue shirt and tie why he was still walking around, yet hadn’t been willing to be arrested with Sebo.  No reply.  A tall man in a white shirt (left, above) joined the display.

About then, the video reveals something I hadn’t heard: after Marzec deplored “anti-Arab racism” she exclaimed, “As someone who’s been raped on this campus, I know what it feels like to feel you are in danger.”

IMG_1362 (1)Three more arrests: first, taller white shirt; then blue golf, and last, green T-, all escorted out by police. But the big man in the blue shirt avoided arrest by fading away at the right moments.  Once the four disrupters were gone, about 20 supporters stood in unison and filed out.

Megan Marzec picked up right where she’d left off: condemning the threats against Rabbi Danielle Leshaw. Then she proclaimed, “I will never apologize for standing with the people of Palestine.  And I will never represent fascists.”

The Student Speakout was at last free: I’ve parphrased a few comments, many not included in the video.

The first speaker (I think he was called Rabbi Davis) expressed “appreciation to Megan Marzec for her video,” for the questions Megan raised give us a “tremendous opportunity” to find answers that could be a source of pride as all work together for a better future. But, he added, “I’d be the first to admit, though, that I don’t know how to do this.”  Rev. Evan Young drew cheers by announcing an Interfaith Peace Walk for the following night.

University Life Commissioner Charlotte Bassam-Bowles (6:00) talked with an English accent of how “my ability to study here relies on the U.S. government,” which can revoke her visa at any time.  She read a letter by other students from abroad “who fear speaking up” because they face not only being deported, but being “sent straight to prison when they return to Palestine.”  She pointed to the recent slurs at OU against Palestinians and Arabs as “animals.”

The next speaker reminded us that the charge that critics of Israel are “anti-Semitic” is bogus, for “Semites” are all who speak a Semitic language, including Palestinians. Another told us that we all need to speak up because “Silence means siding with oppressors, colonizers”; that President of OU Roderick J. McDavis was “wrong”: “civility” is speaking “truth when violence is done,” rather than quashing dialog. Conclusion: “I want President McDavis to apologize to Megan.”  For his part, President McDavis issued a new “statement on student efforts to promote healing; peaceful dialogue” yesterday: “We [at OU] remain focused on providing a learning environment that respects and encourages free speech, thoughtful discussion of important issues, and the opinions of others. We do not support an environment in which students – and even some faculty and staff – feel uncomfortable expressing their ideas and viewpoints.”

The man in the plaid shirt said that the issue is “power”; he asked Jolana Ozara, the moderator of the session, how long she was able to stay in a Board of Trustees meeting before she was “dragged out.” Ozara replied, “45 seconds, tops.” The man compared that lightning removal with the 38 whole minutes before “the first speaker was arrested tonight.” He stood up for equality of voice: “We all have a right to speak in this campus.”  Another volunteered that, “I feel sorry for every Jew who had their voice stolen” and were “labeled as bullies by 5 or 6 people” because all Jews do not support Israel’s acts.

A man who identified himself as both “Jewish and Israeli” but had an American accent chimed in that he was glad to hear this, because “I don’t want it to become ‘He said, She said.” He halted: “Sorry, I become emotional about this… as an Israeli I feel I have to defend my country,” assuring us that “if you go to Israel…they are open to debate.”  He interrupted himself to chide Professor Louis-Georges Schwartz: “Okay, you, Sir, in the green, I don’t know what your deal is….I’m trying to promote peace; your laughter isn’t doing anything.”  Someone interjected, “You have support, trust me,” and the audience clapped.  (Schwartz tells me today, “If I was making a face when that guy spoke, I had been during the whole Speakout because I was upset about the Bobcat violence in the Senate chamber and towards a friend who had been threatened.”) The Israeli continued, “I don’t know if you’ve ever even been to Israel.  I have. My cousin’s best friends are Arab Israelis…I guarantee most of you don’t know the personal ideas of everyone in Israel or Gaza or Palestine….I feel that education is of the biggest importance, because a lot of people aren’t educated.” Then he concluded with hasbara: that no one ever talks about Hamas or how many greenhouses Israel left Gaza, which Palestinians destroyed. The many murmurs told me that the old lines aren’t working: people in that room know the facts.

Sami Eddauod, from Palestine Solidarity Group of Columbus, answered him: “This is way bigger than just Hamas…This is an Occupation, a systematic oppression….”  Schwartz was then called on: he introduced himself as a Film scholar studying the destruction of infrastructure, with siblings who live in Israel, and he has a very different understanding of the situation from what the Israeli speaker described. He pointed out “that representation is a formal political function, not that someone who represents you has the same opinion as you….Impeaching someone for a difference of opinion is proceduralism which contradicts the core vision of democracy.”  A final speaker asserted that the body was “stupid” to “call police.” Now those arrested would “look like martyrs.”

Still, I was shocked by the portrayal of the self-righteous students who’d commandeered what’s supposed to be a democratic meeting as the muzzled victims of censorship. That portrayal started with tweets from Rabbi Leshaw: “Somebody just shouted Go Home Nazis.”  Later, Leshaw repeated that assertion: “Tonight, Jewish students were called Nazis and fascists. @ohiou #BDS fail @OUSenate.” She also said that “Megan called them fascists. They’re not.” I have to say that I didn’t notice Marzec or anyone else call the Bobcats for Israel names. And it’s not as if these supposed victims don’t have friends on the inside: “Lawyers calling from all over Ohio offering to represent our students. More #love,” Leshaw reported.

Meanwhile, some students countered her claims in Letters to the Editor and on Twitter (just go to Leshaw’s feed) before and after the meeting.  Worn-out tropes fail, as the old order changeth.

Susie Kneedler
About Susie Kneedler

1. a blah chick
    a blah chick on September 13, 2014, 10:35 am

“I don’t know if you’ve ever even been to Israel. I have. My cousin’s best friends are Arab Israelis.” Well, I guess that proves there is no bigotry there.

“I feel that education is of the biggest importance, because a lot of people aren’t educated.” Now that I agree with.

• chocopie
      chocopie on September 13, 2014, 2:04 pm

“Some of my cousin’s best friends are Arab,” hey, that’s a new one.

“I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Israel”: Nope. They won’t let me in since I’m married to one of those Arabs that are their cousin’s best friends.

• snowdrift
      snowdrift on September 13, 2014, 2:38 pm

It’s the I/P variant of “But I have black friends!” Though in this case they’re not even his friends, they’re his cousin’s. Let’s not get too crazy!

• AbigailOK
        AbigailOK on September 15, 2014, 10:59 am

Actually, here we grew up with the notion that some non-Jews who would claim:”One of my best friends (or: my best friends are) is Jewish” would be exposed thus as being anti-semite.

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 6:54 pm

“My cousin’s best friends are Arab Israelis.”

When I think about this, the use of the “best friends” ploy, and how freakin’ distant from any kind of real discourse on civil rights you would have to be to make it. I am reminded of a question Roy Edroso once asked about the right-wing bloggers he covers: “Do they even know any real people?”

• American
        American on September 16, 2014, 11:07 am

Re: the ‘best friend ploy’

I remember seeing the zio trolls at Dkos accuse anyone who said they had a jewish or black or whatever friend of saying it as a anti semite ‘ploy’……its very normal and legitimate for someone to say they have jewish friends or black freinds and etc. if they do when its implied they are anti semites or bigots–which is always implied if not out right said a major part of the time in the Israel and race issues.

My response to them would be — Fuck You, you fucking *hypocritical* bigot— you dont know who my friends are.

But its an excellent way to make people avoid the hassle of relationships with Jews—who needs the fucking aggravation of being accused if you do and accused if you dont, and of having ‘suspect’ motives and accused of lying no matter what you say.

Not worth it.

2. Jackdaw
    Jackdaw on September 13, 2014, 2:54 pm

I think they stole a page from the Students for Justice in Palestine handbook.

• annie
      annie on September 13, 2014, 3:42 pm

unlike pro israel student advocacy on campus with their Hasbara handbook http://www.middle-east-info.org/take/wujshasbara.pdf, i’m not aware SJP has a handbook. i’d love it you’d link to it tho.

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 6:00 pm

Watch out, Annie, Jackdaw knows how to fix your wagon! Next time, he’ll just put “handbook” in quotes! That’ll take care of that kind of thing.

• Gene Shae
        Gene Shae on September 13, 2014, 6:24 pm

If there was, i wonder if it includes violence like we saw at Temple University.

• annie
        annie on September 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

ha! that’s highly speculative gene. there’s nothing indicating sjp was involved in any violence. according to the only news source i have read, the alleged assault happened after the alleged victim left the debate, the alleged assaulter wasn’t involved in the debate, and the alleged victim himself, and witnesses, said he does not believe that he was assaulted because of religion, race or ethnicity.

SJP has said Jalil was an acquaintance of group members but not part of the organization and refuted the allegations of anti-Semitism.

The victim told news outlets after the incident that he exchanged words with students at a table for the pro-Palestinian group Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) and was then assaulted.

No hate crime charges have been filed against Jalil, a student in Temple’s College of Science and Technology.

Tasha Jamerson, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office said “the malicious intention toward the religion, ethnicity or race of the victim must be the motive” for the crime for such charges to be filed.

“According to the victim himself, he does not believe that he was assaulted because of religion, race or ethnicity,” she wrote in an email. “Witnesses at the scene also expressed the same opinion, they did not believe this victim was assaulted because of religion race or ethnicity.”

Jamerson said the victim had taken part in a “pretty combative” conversation with students at the SJP table prior to the assault, but Jalil wasn’t engaged in that debate.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Student_charged_in_assault_at_Temple_activities_fair.html#5WuljHKRMPiQOXuE.99

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 7:06 pm

“i wonder if it includes violence like we saw at Temple University.”

Honesty compels me there is even worse violence visited upon hapless Zionists.
        It is, I am ashamed to admit even worse than Mr. Shae asseverates. Here’s the full story, with photos.

• annie
        annie on September 13, 2014, 7:35 pm

your link is scrubbed mooser. but did you see this from the other day?

Jewish Mob Force anti-Zionist Jew from his Manchester Home for Condemning Destruction of Gaza by Israel

someone linked to it in the comments yesterday

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 8:45 pm

Yes I believe Seafoid linked it.

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 8:49 pm

I checked, and the story can still be reached from the homepage at Tony Greenstein’s blog.
        Rght sidebar, it’s denoted by name under “older posts” (the present homepage post is very long and takes up the complete blog ‘front page’) Sorry about the bad link

• tree
        tree on September 14, 2014, 10:10 pm

If you add an “l” to the very end of Mooser’s bad link you get this story, which deals with Jews being attacked by other Jews in Israel:

“Anti-Zionist Orthodox Jews protesting the desecration of graves by a highway construction project near Haifa were attacked and brutally beaten by private security guards hired by the Ministry of Transportation.

The group, known for being outspokenly critical of the State of Israel and its very existence were peacefully demonstrating at the time. This attack follows a long history of violence against the Orthodox Jewish community.”

more at link

• eljay
        eljay on September 15, 2014, 8:11 am

>> Anti-Zionist Orthodox Jews protesting the desecration of graves by a highway construction project near Haifa were attacked and brutally beaten by private security guards hired by the Ministry of Transportation.

Who are these allegedly “Orthodox Jews” and why do they hate the supremacist “Jewish State” of Israel so much?! :-(

3. annie
    annie on September 13, 2014, 3:38 pm

fantastic report susie! we’re so lucky you were there. fabulous.

4. seafoid
    seafoid on September 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Bobcat for Israel shows that hasbara is dead.
    Gay marriage advocates never gave up- why can’t Zionists argue their corner any longer? Why the need for all the timewasting horseshit ?

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 5:43 pm

“Gay marriage advocates never gave up- why can’t Zionists argue their corner any longer?”

My head was spinning! Until I realized “Oh, No edit function! He probably meant to type “Anti gay-marriage advocates…”

Or I’m not understanding what he meant, which is, frankly, always the first possibility to consider when I try to explain anything.

5. michelle
    michelle on September 13, 2014, 4:30 pm

sounds like it was worth the ‘trip’
    to bring justice to the oppressed there must be indisputable proof
    and many witnesses
    otherwise it will come down to who currently has the most control
    it would be interesting if groups like ‘not in my name’ ‘Jews for justice’
    and such were present at such events to better counter the cries of
    anti-whateverism and ‘you’re making me/my people feel unsafe and scared’
    bobcats for Israel my word aren’t the Jewish-Israeli people scared of bobcats too
    “The thing is – fear can’t hurt you any more than a dream.”
    ― William Golding, Lord of the Flies
    G-d Bless

6. philweiss
    philweiss on September 13, 2014, 5:17 pm

Louis-Georges Schwartz has had trouble registering at our site. He asked me to post this comment for him:

“Susie Kneedler didn’t see much at the student senate meeting, nor does she know the context of Ohio University very well. I commend her for willingness to cover the story, but I find It troubling that she “guessed a woman to be Jenny Hall Jones.” Jones called on me to help identify the people present and clarify the sequence of events. Yet she did not rely on my account of the actions of the man in the blue shirt. Kneedler’s version minimizes the violence projected toward Megan Marzac. The reason I and three others stood between Marzac and the man in the blue shirt was that he strode up to Megan Marzec aggressively, and started screaming in her face. He carried himself in a physically intimidating manner, and in my opinion, the menacing statute, which does not require a spoken threat could have been invoked. The statute reads “No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause physical harm to the person or property of the other person …” The OU campus has a high level of violence against women and I wont be a party to to be its erasure and normalization. As she was bringing the meeting back to order Marzec invoked the fact that she has been a victim of the most serious violence on the OU campus. That too should have been in The MONDOWISE article. I am ashamed to be associated with this piece for those reasons.”

• tree
      tree on September 13, 2014, 5:39 pm

To Louis-George Schwartz: I don’t think you need to feel ashamed to be associated with this article. Kneedler admitted that she didn’t always have a good view of the entire proceedings, but seems to have accurately described what she did see.

Thanks for adding your input into this. Perhaps you might want to pen an article on what you saw from your perspective closer to the center of the action. The intimidation towards Marzec seems rampant among her detractors. Any idea who the man in the blue shirt was? He seems from the photos to be older than college age.

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 5:52 pm

“He seems from the photos to be older than college age.”

You don’t know who he is? Gosh, he’s like an old acquaintance to me or anybody who grew up with the American Civil Rights struggle. He’s the good old “outside agitator”, right?

Mooser on September 13, 2014, 6:05 pm

Do the rules of the Student Senate at OU allow for a filibuster? Especially one co-ordinated from outside non-student sources?

Lookin good Rabbi LeShaw. Way to assert those religious principles.

• MHughes976
        MHughes976 on September 13, 2014, 6:43 pm

I too see no reason for shame. If Susie, sympathising with Megan as she does, minimises (ie is careful not to exaggerate) the physical threat that Megan faced, that is a testimony to her objectivity.

• AbigailOK
        AbigailOK on September 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Agent provocateur? Who faded away into the crowd as the police arrived and arrested some?

• Kathleen
      Kathleen on September 15, 2014, 1:03 pm

• hophmi
        hophmi on September 15, 2014, 1:44 pm

“Hopefully you go to the Athens police about what you witnessed the man in the “blue shirt” do. They need his name and what you saw to go into the record.”

Right, because it’s very important to prosecute pro-Israel students on campus.

He’s a student, by the way.

• Susie Kneedler
        Susie Kneedler on September 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Thanks to ALL for helpful Comments. The police did see the student in the blue shirt. You can watch OU Police Chief Andrew Powers warn him after Sebo, c. 3:53 in the video I linked to above (perhaps I wasn’t clear up there). Then the man in the blue shirt appears to mediate between Chief Powers and Sebo–or at least repeat the time warnings–from c. 4-4:30. You can watch him evidently decide to desist, whereas Sebo chose to be arrested. (I couldn’t see any of this from where I wandered that night, but I’m glad that he at last opted to stop disrupting the meeting and squelching others’ right to speak.) His voice first appears on the tape at c. 1:20 and he strides into view c. 1:30.

And the brilliant screen shot Phil captured for the Top Photo on the page two days ago showed (from left) Sebo, Powers, Blue Shirt, and Marzec (Sorry I can’t copy it into Comments).

Here’s the video again, for the link is camouflaged above http://www.thepostathens.com/multimedia/video_4ee20154-3a2c-11e4-b996-0017a43b2370.html.

And, Kathleen, Hi. Sorry I missed you in Athens (+ Thanks for letting me know you were away). But I’ll hope to see you when you’re back. Meanwhile, I’m sure you know that Peggy Gish ‘ll be here Oct 13. Thanks to you and to her for decades of great work, including: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/iraqis-under-threat, http://mondoweiss.net/2013/12/christian-peacemakers-reconciliation, http://mondoweiss.net/2011/03/mondo-award-winner-kathleen-galts-paean-to-the-gishes, http://mondoweiss.net/2010/12/entry-17-peggy-gish-and-her-late-husband-art-gish-they-walk-the-talk .

Meanwhile, Mooser, have to remind you that we pined for your wit when you vanished–just so you won’t think of “absconding” again. *~}

7. Mooser
    Mooser on September 13, 2014, 5:30 pm

” I am ashamed to be associated with this piece for those reasons.”

Don’t get this. Would you be less ashamed if Susi Kneedler reported things she didn’t see, didn’t know for sure, and can’t feel “I witnessed this” about?

And if you saw some things she didn’t, please add them, as you do. Thanks.

8. Mooser
    Mooser on September 13, 2014, 5:36 pm

Ahh, but what I was about to say is this is a very clear demonstration of how unsafe Jewish students or Zionists, feel on campus (and take one letter out of that, and it spells…. “Camus”, actually). When people are insecure and in fear, they are very reticent, unable almost, to express themselves and demand their “rights”. And of course, would never dare risk arrest, into an unfair and brutal justice system. Sad thing, the way they are beaten down and become voiceless.

Maybe an IDF campus guard detachment could be spared, now that Protective Edge is over, I mean didn’t some President send National Guardsmen for some little schoolgirls once?

• AbigailOK
      AbigailOK on September 15, 2014, 11:29 am

Actually, Mooser, you meant JFK had to federalize the National Guard to be able to enroll one black student, James Meredith? Or do you mean another occasion? In case of the IDF they would send camp guards. On campus they probably have watchmen in plain clothes to make sure no Palestinian can study.

9. Mooser
    Mooser on September 13, 2014, 6:15 pm

“On cue, another Bobcat for Israel in a blue striped golf shirt hopped up to rant from Sebo’s script (above).”

So afraid, so insecure, he’s wearing flip-flops. He’s not expecting anybody to step on his toes.

• DaBakr
      DaBakr on September 13, 2014, 8:24 pm

@mosr

you just can’t help yourself , can you? the flip-flop comments is a double entendre as well? Hpwever I could never tolerate flip-flops on boys/men. And I hear they now call them something like ‘mandels’ now for the more serious flip-flopper wearer. Gone are the days of the simplistic TEVA strap numbers. High-tech flip-flops are standard now.

Mooser on September 14, 2014, 10:47 am

If you are in bare toes, one stomp from a from a heeled shoe and you are helpless. Any real bully-boy knows that.

And stop worrying, DaBakr, I’ve never said the Ziocaine Syndrome leads to low testosterone.

10. pabelmont
    pabelmont on September 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

In the broad American context, we believe in (and most support) ONE MAN ONE VOTE (altho voting is being suppressed here adn ther), but I’d like to add: ONE MAN ONE VOICE and note thet BIG-MONEY gives a huge multiplier to a rich man’s (or rich corporation’s) “voice”.

At this meeting, those that grabbed the microphone to harrangue were practicing ONE OPINION ONE THOUSAND VOICES AND NO LET-UP.

What a dreadful society we live in where people have appointed themselves (ZIOS) as the controllers of this discussion.

Glad the discussion is happening anyhow.

• AbigailOK
      AbigailOK on September 15, 2014, 11:33 am

Glad it was in a country were they could call the police who actually thought the situation so serious as to arrest the perpetrators. Not so in the “greatest democracy in the ME”. I don’t even want to think what would have happened to Marzec and others. The Bobcats would have had a state dinner with fossile fuel Peres.

11. ritzl
    ritzl on September 13, 2014, 10:18 pm

Weren’t those 5-6 SJP members at Florida Atlantic University who simply got up and walked out of a talk by some IDF spox or other, sent to ADL re-education camps as a condition of their continued enrollment?

Will these Bobcats for Israel face the same fate?

• piotr
      piotr on September 14, 2014, 9:13 am

Perhaps Bobcats for Israel already graduated fro ADL re-education camps (or some similar indoctrination)?

• Gene Shae
      Gene Shae on September 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

You are kidding Ritzly, right? The two incidents are completely different and the FAU students are fortunate that such an offer was extended to them

• ritzl
        ritzl on September 15, 2014, 8:46 am

Yep. The incidents ARE completely different, but please do elaborate. I’m sure readers will be particularly interested in why the FAU students were “fortunate” in any way.

• tree
      tree on September 14, 2014, 10:18 pm

The more important question is will they face prosecution like the Irvine 11 for “disturbing” a lawful meeting? We are talking about 2 minutes of interruption of Michael Oren by the Irvine 11, versus 38 minutes of interruption by the bullies at the Ohio State meeting. Any body placing any bets on the chance of this incident resulting in prosecutions? I wouldn’t.

• ritzl
        ritzl on September 15, 2014, 8:50 am

Yep. That’s a better/more acute example, tree.

12. RoHa
    RoHa on September 14, 2014, 12:48 am

What are “Bobcats for Israel”? From the context they seem to be a student club. If so, surely the student’s union/council/senate should sanction the club for this disruptive activity.

(“because all Jews do not support Israel’s acts.”

This is simply not true. Not all Jews support Israel’s, but to say (ungrammatically) that no Jews support Israel is flying in the face of reality. Lots of Jews do support Israel.)

• American
      American on September 14, 2014, 1:24 pm

”Bobcats for Israel”

They picked the wrong cat if its intended to project ferociousness.

The other side should call themselves the’ Screaming Eagles’.

Here’s an eagle looking for some rocks to drop and smash the bobcat dinner he just snatch on.

• annie
        annie on September 14, 2014, 2:01 pm

lol, american you crack me up!

Mooser on September 15, 2014, 1:36 pm

Can’t stand eagles myself. Did me out of my rightful spot as National Animal. Of all things, an alopeciac, thieving raptor!
        However, proper funds should be allocated to help ill eagle immigrants. I’m not hard-hearted, enough to want to deny them proper care.

• hophmi
        hophmi on September 15, 2014, 1:45 pm

OU’s mascot is the Bobcat.

13. adele
    adele on September 14, 2014, 11:38 am

The activist struggle ahead will be long but what I gather from this is that the pro-justice/anti-apartheid voices have won. Every time the pro-Israeli side (re)acts in such an aggressive manner it becomes increasingly clear that they can only resort to raw power now. And the more they use their raw power the greater will be the exposure of their tactics to suppress free speech, and the more sympathy they will lose, Folks indifferent to this struggle will start questioning and working things out for themselves, and many who felt intimidated to speak will find their voices. The zionists are facing a big big mess ahead.

SJP is holding a conference in October and I hope that they address and formulate a strategy to effectively deal with these types of disruptive and bullying actions on campus. We all know to whom campus administration will side with (as if it was ever different in past struggles for justice and equality that were won).

PS: Megan Marzec is one very courageous and admirable student.

• lonely rico
      lonely rico on September 14, 2014, 11:08 pm

Megan Marzec is one very courageous and admirable student

Quite a contrast with her antagonists !
      And I see in the photo, she’s wearing a “carré rouge” (red square).
      Bravo Megan !

• adele
        adele on September 15, 2014, 2:11 pm

I didn’t notice the carré rouge symbol on Megan, thanks for pointing it out! Further proof of connecting the dots between the grassroots movements against state violence in all its forms.

Here is more info on the student movement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Quebec_student_protests

14. hophmi
    hophmi on September 15, 2014, 11:12 am

Waiting for people here to condemn the arrest of students like they did when students from UC Irvine were arrested for protesting Michael Oran. Not holding my breath.

• adele
      adele on September 15, 2014, 2:15 pm

good, don’t, we wouldn’t want to be collectively responsible for you harming yourself

• hophmi
        hophmi on September 15, 2014, 5:44 pm

No. It appear hypocrisy is far more important to you.

• adele
        adele on September 15, 2014, 10:14 pm

if you wish to indulge in false equivalencies then be my guest but don’t expect any objective person to be an enabler in your dishonest quest.

15. Kathleen
    Kathleen on September 15, 2014, 1:05 pm

Great report Susis. Hopefully all who have threatened violence are reported to Athens Police and Dept of Justice in D.C. Document any threats of violence.

16. ken_the_truth
    ken_the_truth on September 18, 2014, 9:22 am

The notion that it is “anti-semetic” to be opposed to the actions of modern day israel or for americans to question the “special” relationship between the united states and israel is wrong in that the term “Anti-semetism” has serious connotations in regard to Nazi’s and whatnot. We have laws in the books which address that sort of “anti-semitism” so to include modern pacifists and isolationists and libertarians and others into that label is just plain wrong and it’s a very serious accusation which must be stopped. yes, there are 2 sides to the issue of israel vs. palestinians but opinions on the matter, even those which are steadfastly against the modern state of israel, are not equivilent nor related to whatever the world war ii era “anti-semistism”