Virulent, violent verbal tactics reveal Dershowitz as a bully, says fellow Israel advocate

US Politics

A big blue inside the ranks of Israel advocates isn’t actually about Israel; but it involves sharp criticism of Alan Dershowitz, as a bully who uses violent arguments in an effort to “manipulate and control… the court of public opinion.” These tactics are familiar to those who have criticized Israel and suffered Dershowitz’s obloquy. I first heard about the Dershowitz effect back in 2002, when pro-divestment professors at Harvard and MIT folded their hands on an initiative, one telling me that folks were afraid of having their reputations trimmed by Dershowitz’s charges. Even if Dersh was wild, this person said, the charges stuck. Maybe the charges won’t stick so much going forward.

The criticism of Dershowitz comes from Ronn Torossian, an ultra Zionist pr guy who has attacked President Obama for even faulting Israeli settlements. Two weeks ago Torossian wrote a piece saying that Alan Dershowitz’s reputation has been hurt by the recent allegations of sexual relations with a teenager, and the allegations have nothing to do with Israel advocacy, but:

“I do not believe he is a good spokesman for Israel or the Jewish people.”

Well, today at the rightwing site Arutz Sheva, Torossian reports that Dershowitz lashed out at him on a radio show last Saturday night in a virulent manner, calling him a “despicable human being” and lying about Torossian’s record. In his piece, Torossian goes after Dershowitz as a bully. He describes the Dershowitz method:

Dershowitz’s attack against me on the Zev Brenner program was virulent.  He called me a “liar”, and said that I was “lying through my teeth;” then added I was a “despicable human being.” He admits that we have never personally met, making his visceral hatred for me stunning.

Torossian says Dershowitz deserves fair play in the ongoing legal case, but he has been damaged:

The opinion of so many against him must hit him hard, understandably so.  Alan Dershowitz, self-proclaimed defender of Jews, is being told that his Jewish credentials do not entitle him to a defense for an alleged crime that has zero to do with Jewishness or Israel. I was and am right about that, unless it is proven that these allegations were meant to discredit him and are false.

Some of the Dershowitzian tactics Torossian deplores will be familiar to anyone who has crossed him on Israel, including Jimmy Carter and Richard Goldstone:

The fact that one of America’s finest legal eagles is attacking those who challenge him in the court of public opinion so violently is shocking.

Dershowitz cannot manipulate and control both the court of public opinion and the court of law

He doesn’t like Dershowitz’s take-no-prisoners approach:

Dershowitz claimed I have a vendetta against him and I am “trying to get even.” Had he done the most basic amount of research, he would have found numerous articles I wrote which praised him

Torossian goes on to say that Dershowitz bullies people and he should use his energy to deal with a personal crisis, not attack others.

Dershowitz is unable to bully everyone – as he’s seen from the libel lawsuit filed against him recently by the alleged rape victim’s lawyers…

Rather than engaging in low blows, Alan Dershowitz should focus his energies on the allegations against him.  He’s accused of committing serious crimes, and facing lawsuits and legal problems.

Dershowitz is going through a crisis and this issue appears to be affecting his self-control.

philweiss

1. Jackdaw
    Jackdaw
    January 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

My respect for Bibi Netanyahu plummeted when I’d heard that he’d once asked Alan Dershowitz to be Israel’s Ambassador to the UN. Horrible choice.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
      January 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Interesting. So Bibi’s enthusiastic role in the theft of Palestinian land and the mass murder of women and children didn’t bother you, but you lost ‘respect’ for him because of his failed invitation to a thuggish US lawyer?

You have your priorities, Jackdaw, and I have mine.

Jackdaw
        January 20, 2015, 1:51 pm

My take is that Palestinian recalcitrance played a major role in the subsequent breakdown of the peace talks. Why don’t you read these New Republic articles and show me where I’m wrong.

annie
        January 20, 2015, 4:15 pm

jack, I know that Bibi’s administration sat down with the Pals and tried to make a lasting peace deal.

a lasting peace where palestinians gave up jerusalem? how generous! NOT!

granted i have not opened your first link but the second is completely incomprehensible. you can’t build ” final status negotiations.” on something that doesn’t exist. there was no “Israeli acceptance of the 1967 borders” which was made clear with the release of the palestine papers. also made clear when israel refused to put forth a proposal for borders at the request of the quarter in 2011 and again in 2014.

Molho and his counterpart were busy reconstructing their understanding from 2010, and transforming it into an outline of the terms for serious final status negotiations. Building from the Israeli acceptance of the 1967 borders (with land swaps) and Palestinian flexibility on the “nation state of the Jewish people” (with equal rights for Arab citizens) demmand, additional components were added.

….

Netanyahu was willing to work with the fruits of the secret channel (although he insisted on airing his reservations, and the negotiations his advisers held with Indyk over the exact wording were endless). But Abbas completely rejected what had already, supposedly, been accepted by his own negotiator. He wasn’t willing to show any flexibility on the Jewish state issue, and the idea of excluding any clear reference to a Palestinian capital in Jerusalem seemed like political suicide.

israel refused to even put forward a framework for -BORDERS- and wanted to push it down the road after another 9 months of negotiations for “final status issues”. that is why, along with israel’s refusal to release the prisoners, as per the previous agreement, Abbas would not comply. even kerry stated it was the continued settlement expansion and as i stated earlier palestinians agreed to turn over almost all of jerusalem before and israel would not comply (palestine papers). excluding any clear reference to a Palestinian capital in Jerusalem is not just political suicide, it’s as unacceptable as israelis excluding any clear reference to a Jewish capital in Jerusalem. not going to happen.

oldgeezer
        January 20, 2015, 4:48 pm

I loved the second article you linked to. There were major concessions asked of both sides. Israel had to agree to only keep whatever land it had stolen and wanted to keep while the Palestinians had to agree to recognize the Jewish state.

Only in a bizzaro world is that a concession on both sides. The concessions were all on the Palestinian side.

The first article is pretty meaningless. Israel made no proposals and failed to abide by prior agreements. If they violated that agreement there was no basis for another agreement. Silly to suggest otherwise.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
        January 20, 2015, 5:55 pm

”My take is that Palestinian recalcitrance played a major role in the subsequent breakdown of the peace talks.”

God damn those Palestinians! You steal almost everything from them and then they get sniffy when they’re asked to ‘compromise’ by given up the teeny tiny little bits that you didn’t manage to steal first time round.

There was Israel just dying to ‘make peace’ and return to its internationally recognised bordered and those damn ‘Pals’ just had to go and spoil it all.

amigo
        January 20, 2015, 6:05 pm

“I know that Bibi’s administration sat down with the Pals .”jackdaw

They are Palestinians jerkjaw.

When you gain a little respect for them, we might give you some.Meantime you are just an ill mannered racist bigot lacking in social skills and basic common decency. IOW a typical zionist of little or no value to the civilised world.

talknic
        January 13, 2016, 5:58 pm

@ Jackdaw “My take is that Palestinian recalcitrance played a major role in the subsequent breakdown of the peace talks. Why don’t you read these New Republic articles and show me where I’m wrong”

A) The Palestinians didn’t ask to be colonized in 1897 – 2016
        B) The Palestinians ask for their legal rights according to the Laws Israel agreed to uphold
        C) Israel has no legal right to any of the demands it makes for anything beyond its self proclaimed and Internationally recognized borders

January 20, 2015, 1:57 pm

Jakdaw, you ever think of going into pro sports? The way you just pitched Dershowitz under the bus was magnificent! Such grace and timing!

Jackdaw
        January 20, 2015, 3:40 pm

January 21, 2015, 2:43 pm

“How have I pitched Dershowitz under the bus? By pointing out that he’d been a candidate for UN Ambassador?”

Yup, I had a feeling you would throw it into reverse and back over the body. Yes, Dershowitz was a candidate for “UN Ambassador”, yes, that we know. But why Dershowitz did not become a “UN Ambassador”? That’s the story you mean to bring out, isn’t it?
        Good work. Shove it into low gear, and give it to him again, this time with wheel-spin!

2. pabelmont
    pabelmont
    January 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Libel? Libel v libel? They accuse him of sexual crime and he accuses them of bad lawyering (&ruining his reputation)? Delicious. Can’t wait.

“(Reuters) – Two lawyers representing a woman who claims to have had sex while a minor with prominent U.S. criminal defense lawyer Alan Dershowitz filed a defamation lawsuit against him on Tuesday.

Former federal judge Paul Cassell and Florida plaintiffs attorney Bradley Edwards filed the lawsuit in a Florida circuit court, accusing Dershowitz of initiating a public media assault on their reputation and character, according to court documents. ” http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/07/us-usa-dershowitz-defamation-idUSKBN0KG05V20150107

3. eGuard
    eGuard
    January 20, 2015, 12:22 pm

This too by Torossian: [Dershowitz] advocates for discrimination against Jews when he proclaims that Jews should not live in Hebron. And: He is wrong to support a Palestinian State.

Thank you but no thanks. We don’t need racist bigoted attacks on Dershowitz. (This must be a secret part of a Save The Dreckowitz campaign).

4. oldgeezer
    oldgeezer
    January 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Considering his former praise of dersh, one word. Karma.

5. amigo
    amigo
    January 20, 2015, 12:32 pm

We should put the dershbag in a ring with anyone he bullies.We would soon see what this alleged pedophile is made of .I suspect he is a rank coward with out a pair of orbs.

Despicable man.And hearing it from a fellow zionist makes it all the sweeter.

January 20, 2015, 2:00 pm

“Despicable man. And hearing it from a fellow zionist makes it all the sweeter.”

Gee, maybe they can get under-bus-throwing admitted as an Olympic sport!

6. just
    just
    January 20, 2015, 12:37 pm

So the cat fight begins.

“Alan Dershowitz, self-proclaimed defender of Jews”

uh~ Schmuley and many others have declared him a defender of Jews and Israel many times, ergo his ability to hold the title.

Anyway, this PR guy just sounds like his feelings got hurt and is trying to commence the shunning.

(PS- I don’t like either one of them)

7. Whizdom
    Whizdom
    January 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

dersh is a PR liability. Period.

January 20, 2015, 2:02 pm

“dersh is a PR liability. Period.”

And I’d like to know, who would you consider an asset? The guy condemning Dershowitz?

Whizdom
        January 20, 2015, 4:34 pm

I can recommend several competent firms, if you are looking for yourself. I haven’t encountered Torassian’s firm, I don’t know their track record. Who ever is managing Israel’s PR should be sued for malpractice. But then again, they don’t have much to work with.

8. Mooser
    January 20, 2015, 1:55 pm

“I do not believe he is a good spokesman for Israel or the Jewish people.” –

Ah! An employment opportunity! I’ll keep my eye on the classified ads. I’m jumping on that as soon as it’s on offer. What does the job pay?
    I’m not working for tips, you know.

RoHa
      January 20, 2015, 7:58 pm

When you’ve got the job, could you use your religious influence to get me the papacy?

I’ve applied for it before,but I was rejected on the grounds that I am not Catholic and I am married. This is rank discrimination, and if someone of your stature were to call them out on it, they’d change their tune pretty quickly.

January 20, 2015, 10:17 pm

“I’ve applied for it before,but I was rejected on the grounds that I am not Catholic and I am married.”

Blatant discrimination!
        Neither of those things should disqualify you from being “spokesman for Israel or the Jewish people”. I should think they would be points in your favor.

9. Mooser
    January 20, 2015, 2:04 pm

“Rather than engaging in low blows, Alan Dershowitz should focus his energies on the allegations against him. He’s accused of committing serious crimes, and facing lawsuits and legal problems.”

When do the wall posters start appearing, accusing Dershowitz of “reactionary tendencies”?

RoHa
      January 20, 2015, 7:54 pm

Mooser, I noted that

“his Jewish credentials do not entitle him to a defense for an alleged crime that has zero to do with Jewishness or Israel. ”

So what is the point of having those Jewish credentials, then?

annie
        January 20, 2015, 8:35 pm

why ask mooser? this is what Torossian said:

“Alan Dershowitz, self-proclaimed defender of Jews, is being told that his Jewish credentials do not entitle him to a defense for an alleged crime that has zero to do with Jewishness or Israel. I was and am right about that, unless it is proven that these allegations were meant to discredit him and are false.”

other than that, last i heard they get one a free ride to citizenship in the holy land, even over and above indigenous folks. so that’s pretty outrageous.

January 20, 2015, 10:28 pm

“So what is the point of having those Jewish credentials, then?”

I got a handsome framed certificate from the “Cradle Roll Club” or something, at the hospital just after I was born. Don’t ask. Which my Mom once mailed me when I told her I needed a copy of my birth certificate!

10. W.Jones
    W.Jones
    January 20, 2015, 2:35 pm

“A big blue inside the ranks ”

What is a “blue”?

January 20, 2015, 10:36 pm

“What is a “blue”?”

I’m not completely sure, but I think it is the singular of the thing you have the right to sing when you’re a good man feelin’ bad and you’ve paid your dues. Which also entitles you to moan, sigh, sit, and cry down along the river.

RoHa
        January 20, 2015, 10:54 pm

But it is also a small butterfly, a nickname for a red-headed person, a mistake, an award for sporting excellence at some universities, and (probably the meaning in this context) a dispute or quarrel.

weaver
        January 21, 2015, 7:02 am

Think I’ll assume irony.

January 21, 2015, 11:34 am

“Seriously? You blokes don’t know the Australian slang for “fight”, but Phil does?”

Thanks! I’ll go look up the derivation. From the man from Nantucket I know, but not Australian slang.

“Think I’ll assume irony.”

Mr. Weaver, I implore you, when it comes to me, never credit irony for the work of good old ignorance.

January 21, 2015, 3:17 pm

“Often in the night, as the result of not paying attention to what your Mama done tole you.”

When I was in knee-pants my Momma done tol’ me”! Had I but followed her advice!

RoHa
        January 21, 2015, 6:11 pm

All the meanings are right there in the OED. It’s on line, now, dammit. There’s no excuse for not using it.

11. chris_k
    chris_k
    January 20, 2015, 5:31 pm

When I read “I do not believe he is a good spokesman for Israel or the Jewish people” I thought about how once he said essentially he wanted Israel to change its policy on settlements so that it would further his arguments at US college campuses. Well, that didn’t happen, and zebras didn’t suddenly gets spots so that they look more like tigers. And Israel advocates would like their Harvard hammer to be a different person, but apparently he isn’t. I am not attempting to conflate the two things.. it’s all so sad.

chris_k
      January 20, 2015, 5:33 pm

Leopards I mean with the spots. Always double check your taxonomy before you get in to a Middle East discussion.

12. Keith
    Keith
    January 20, 2015, 5:50 pm

Dershowitz couldn’t do what Dershowitz does if he was not a member of the organized Zionist elite with full Zionist support and backing. Dershowitz represents power. As such, he may well be above the law just as he was immune to plagiarism charges.

Keith
      January 21, 2015, 11:34 am

An example of what I am talking about is provided by “Brewer’s” link below to Forbes magazine discussing the legal ramifications of the case. Below a quote from the link.

” Alan Dershowitz is a high profile emeritus member of the Harvard law faculty, an attorney for (in)famous criminal defendants, and a courageous public intellectual defending Israel against vile international anti-Semitism.” (Michael Krauss, Forbes, 1/13/15)

Alan Dershowitz is “…a courageous public intellectual defending Israel against vile international anti-Semitism?” Hard to believe. This is power talking.

Keith
      January 21, 2015, 2:40 pm

Below is a video it took me a while to find of Norman Finkelstein discussing Alan Dershowitz use of the big lie to defame people and how this is only possible with institutional support:

13. Brewer
    Brewer
    January 21, 2015, 12:23 am

Sorry, haven’t time to go through all the posts. Pardon me if someone’s already linked this. Good analysis of the legal position:

Chu
      January 21, 2015, 10:08 am

I read this last week, but also following his summer article where he lavishes praise on Israel and describes the Gaza killings this summer as an admirable performance. here’s the link & one excerpt: “Israel has used its truly miraculous Iron Dome system to shoot down most but not all of Hamas’s most deadly missiles. Those missiles landing in rural areas and on highways cannot efficiently be shot down using Iron Dome; in any case life is impossible when constantly heeding bomb sirens and heading to shelters. Israel is fully authorized in taking steps needed to eliminate Hamas’s threat to the Jewish state.”

14. CloakAndDagger
    CloakAndDagger
    January 21, 2015, 2:10 pm

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop in the Dersh saga. I wonder how long before this goes to trial.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

15. Vera Gottlieb
    Vera Gottlieb
    January 22, 2015, 5:14 am

I never cared for this guy Dershowitz and my gut instinct has proven me right.

16. ckg
    ckg
    January 22, 2015, 5:16 am

I just noticed that in the acknowledgments to The Case for Israel (2003), the Dersh thanks his ‘friends’ Jeffrey Epstein and others for their ‘perceptive comments’ on the manuscript.

Virginia Roberts was under Epstein’s control from 1999 to 2002.

17. Pixel
    Pixel
    January 22, 2015, 7:51 am

“Dershowitz claimed I have a vendetta against him and I am “trying to get even.”

A page from the Zio Playbook:

“180 Degree Reverse Play”

1. Get out in front of any issue
    2. Accuse others of exactly what you are doing.
    3. Repeat ad nauseum

% this play is used: 100

18. Robert Sterling
    Robert Sterling
    January 23, 2015, 4:52 pm

I’m a royalist, but would believe that the Duke of York would be embroiled in some unsavoury business way before the douche Dershowitz. But Gawker’s post on the Lolita Express flight logs is certainly sickening the plot.

19. RockyMissouri
    RockyMissouri
    January 13, 2016, 3:17 pm

The Dershowitz problem is that he is a Zionist, and sees nothing, except thru that perspective.

A sad place to be.

20. Mooser
    January 13, 2016, 6:53 pm

“Torossian goes on to say…”

I think it is very suspicious that Mr. Torossian is criticizing the best Zionist advocate there is. Mr. Dershowitz knows what is necessary to defend Israel and Zionism!
    Probably just personal ambition.