In a last ditch effort to block an impending nuclear deal between Western powers and Iran, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced today, April 1, he will immediately begin an open-ended hunger strike against world peace.
During his strike Netanyahu will only be eating fresh fruit. His wife Sara will join him, choosing a completely liquid diet. The move is widely popular in Israel where a Channel 2 poll taken Monday shows Jewish Israelis are against world peace almost 6 to 1. An unnamed Florida-born Netanyahu confidant, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to comment due to his history of generally fucking things up, explained the move, “He’s tried everything else, you have any other ideas?”
This isn’t the first peace effort Netanyahu has sought to block although he acknowledged these current negotiations with Iran are his biggest challenge yet. Still, even a cursory glance at the other issues he has championed over the years show a man dedicated to his beliefs who has never shied away from an unpopular cause. A few examples:
- In 1978 Netanyahu streaked the Camp David Accords.
- In 1987 Netanyahu first came to international prominence leading rallies against the rescue of baby Jessica McClure who had fallen down a well in Midland, Texas.
- In 1993 Netanyahu conducted a solo picket of the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Nelson Mandela.
In 1997 and 1998 Netanyahu carried out hunger strikes during the Hebron Protocol and Wye River Memorandum negotiations that he himself negotiated.
- After leaving office in 1999, Netanyahu entered an underground bunker to highlight “the gravest threat humanity has faced to this point” — the Y2K bug. He finally reappeared in the middle of September 2001 in order to exploit the 9/11 attacks.
- In 2005 Netanyahu organized a 24-hour variety show telethon in support of Michael Brown’s job as FEMA Director during Hurricane Katrina.
- In 2008 Netanyahu lost his shit when Barack Obama was elected President of the United States.
- In 2009 Netanyahu joined Kanye West at a sit-in protesting Taylor Swift’s win over Beyonce for Best Female Video at the MTV Video Music Awards. They’ve remained close friends ever since.
- In 2010 Netanyahu undertook a 56 day hunger strike due to his confusion over the ending of Lost.
- In 2010 Netanyahu also marched in solidarity with Chilean mine owners.
- In 2012 Netanyahu really lost his shit when Barack Obama was re-elected president of the United States.
He attributes his hunger strikes — along with ongoing Israeli settlement construction and general intransigence — as to why Israel has been able to successfully avoid peace all these years. He is confident he can continue the trend now.