‘NYT’ must think it has no Amish readers

Novelist Jennifer Weiner writes about “gender and culture” for the New York Times’ op-ed page. She just published an essay about texting her 12-year-old daughter, who was at camp and miserable.

I tried encouragement (“Hang in there! You’ll be fine!”). I used tough love (“No, I am not coming to get you. It’s important for you to stick this out”). When she complained that the other girls were talking about a TV show she didn’t know, I used humor.

“Just say, ‘I’m not allowed to watch TV. I’m Amish.’ Then make up things about being Amish.”

“I’m not going to pretend to be Amish.”

“Tell them you’re not allowed to wear zippers because metal is prideful.”

“Oh God.”

“Tell them that’s why none of your bras have hooks.”

“Mom!!!!”

“Pretend you’ve never used an indoor toilet before. Scream after flushing.”

“OMG you’re the worst.”

Weiner identifies as being Jewish and having gone to Israel in this piece, and I wonder how much of these jokes about Amish people will seem entitled and dickish. The friend who passed this along said, “Would this be allowed if it had targeted Quakers?  For what other groups would it be allowed?  Is there a hierarchy of this stuff now with the Amish at the bottom and Quakers and Jews somewhere ‘higher’ up?  Or am I too uptight? If a Christian had said this about Orthodox Jews would the NYT have run it? If so, would the ADL comment?”

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. hophmi on July 25, 2015, 2:20 pm

Yes, you’re being oversensitive. No, I don’t think that if she joked around about being ultra-orthodox it would be a huge deal.

But mostly, I’m wondering why your first reaction to a piece like this is to do research on the writer to see how Jewish she is, and why you then act as if Jews are the only people who have ever made Amish jokes, or that, somehow, if she was an anti-Zionist, she’d be less likely to make them. That suggests to me that you’re obsessed with Jews.

• annie on July 25, 2015, 2:44 pm

and i’m wondering why you beat your wife.

hmm, all he said was “I wonder how much of these jokes about Amish people will seem entitled and dickish.”

and did you read this:

The friend who passed this along said, “Would this be allowed if it had targeted Quakers? For what other groups would it be allowed? Is there a hierarchy of this stuff now with the Amish at the bottom and Quakers and Jews somewhere ‘higher’ up? Or am I too uptight? If a Christian had said this about Orthodox Jews would the NYT have run it? If so, would the ADL comment?”

why are you addressing phil, and not the person who sent it in? That suggests to me that you’re obsessed with Phil.

• hophmi on July 25, 2015, 4:06 pm

How am I supposed to address Phil’s friend? Is he here? By the way, I’m sure that Phil can speak for himself. He doesn’t need you.

• annie on July 25, 2015, 4:17 pm

we finally agree on something. obviously phil can speak for himself. how are you supposed to address Phil’s friend? you could start by omitting the “you” here: “I’m wondering why…. you then act as if“, knowing it was someone else’s quote. as in “i’m wondering why your friend”.

try it. try extricating your obsession with phil from your commentary about the passage. try engaging the questions the person asks. for example “Would this be allowed if .. a Christian had said this about Orthodox Jews would the NYT have run it?”

iow, can you imagine a writer at the nyt writing to their child:

“Just say, ‘I’m not allowed to watch TV. I’m Jewish.’ Then make up things about being Jewish.”

“I’m not going to pretend to be Jewish.”

“Tell them you’re not allowed to wear zippers because metal is prideful.”

“Oh God.”

“Tell them that’s why none of your bras have hooks.”

“Mom!!!!”

“Pretend you’ve never used an indoor toilet before. Scream after flushing.”

but orthodox jew use toilets right? or do they shit on a hole in the floor like lots of people all over the world? let’s talk about the way jews the amish take a crap…because it’s so like..normal!

act as if Jews are the only people who have ever made Amish jokes

maybe that’s an east coast thing. we don’t make amish jokes out here in california as far as i know. in fact i can’t ever recall hearing one. do they make them where you come from? this is the first i ever heard jews make amish jokes. i had no idea actually.

maybe i’ll google ‘amish jokes’

• annie on July 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

omg, they do have a lot of amish jokes online. i had no idea.

• hophmi on July 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Yeah, lots of Amish jokes. The Amish are a quietist sect who don’t use electricity. They don’t tend to complain. See Kingpin for an idea of how bad it can get.

Yes, you could joke about ultra Orthodox Jews in much the same way, and people do.

I think it’s legit to ask whether Phil would care about this if this writer didn’t have a Jewish last name.

• Mooser on July 25, 2015, 7:16 pm

” By the way, I’m sure that Phil can speak for himself. He doesn’t need you.”

You should e-mail him, Hophmi, and give him the facts about Annie, gentleman-to-gentleman! And don’t forget to mention she has no concern for the Jewish birth-rate.

• amigo on July 26, 2015, 10:01 am

“The Amish are a quietist sect who don’t use electricity ” Hopknee

Yeah but they do that on a voluntary basis , unlike the Palestinians who use it when Israel allows them to.One might refer to Israel,s policy as , “The Amisization” of The Palestinian People.

“They don’t tend to complain.” Hopknee.

Why, are they under occupation and having their land stolen and their people murdered.Those damn Palestinians , never happy , no matter how much you take from or do to them.

• Walker on July 25, 2015, 7:04 pm

No, nonJews don’t, not in the New York Times. I agree with the OP – this slightly crass excerpt indicates privilege.

However, as the British might say, “Worse things happened in the war”.

• Marnie on July 26, 2015, 12:16 am

• bintbiba on July 26, 2015, 7:56 am

@Marnie,

“Dang H’mi – you’re not only obsessed with Phil, you’re a possessive of him too. How is it that Phil is “obsessed” with Jews? Why do you always see your shortcomings and neuroses in everyone else?

You’re obsessed with Phil, you’re jealous of Annie and you’d like to be funny, like Mooser – trifecta of tragic, yet treatable conditions.”

————–
        Marnie,! Genius comment !! (Worthy of the best of ‘the Moose’)

Yet totally original . You are so smart ! Made me giggle on a very gloomy day !
        Thank you.

• Mooser on July 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

“you’d like to be funny, like Mooser”

That is not a treatable condition. Having become addicted to levity (it’s the soul of wit, you know) early in life, I am now a confirmed joke fiend, an unredeemed joke addict, yes, a jokie. Not even a spell at Humornon straightened me out.

• hophmi on July 26, 2015, 5:28 pm

Yeah, you got it Marnie, I’m “jealous” of Annie. LOL.

• Marnie on July 27, 2015, 12:17 am

@Mooser

“Not even a spell at Humornon straightened me out.”

Just take each day one joke at a time Mooser, and hang in there.

• oldgeezer on July 26, 2015, 12:55 am

Research?

I didn’t do any but found out within 5 lines of text that she was so what’s your point?

She is clearly a nasty bigot yet you leap to her defense?

I would ask you why as that’s more pertinant than your question but your attitudes, beliefs and ongoing support of murderous racism answers the question clearly.

• Marnie on July 27, 2015, 12:01 am

@H’mi –

“Yeah, you got it Marnie, I’m “jealous” of Annie. LOL. Marnie, I have no desire to be anything like Mooser, who is one of those people with a sense of humor that only a radical leftist could appreciate. But, congrats, Marnie. Criticizing me is an easy way to be proclaimed a genius here.”

Well shucks H – you act like a dog over a bone when it comes to Phil and just jumped all over Annie for responding to your predictable Phil snarling and snarking and you can’t keep up with Mr. Mooser, but seriously who can? However, what other conclusions could I possibly come up with? You don’t converse with Phil or Annie, you just do the ad hominem bop and sulk and pout, much like the poor little girl who got sent to camp by her brain dead mother.

“Criticizing me is an easy way to be proclaimed a genius here”.
        You’re so vain –
        you probably think this blog is about you –
        you’re so vain!
        I’ll be you think this blog is about you, don’t you, don’t you?

Ah, the ol’ delusions of grandeur. The combination of grandiosity and perpetual victim is stunning.

• on July 26, 2015, 8:54 am

The fact is that for years Hollywood just made light of the Amish lifestyle. Television ignored them.

Then something happened (tip of the hat to Joseph Heller).

An outsider murdered five young Amish girls in a school shooting in 2007.

And the Amish forgave him.

Unforgivable.

Not the murder, but the act of forgiveness.

An unforgivably noble act.

Can you imagine how furious it made those folks who are still making WWII revenge fantasy movies 70 years after the fact, seeking out and jailing 90 year old plus men who served as low level soldiers in the camps during WWII, that vindictively punish anyone that does not go along with the agenda?

Why, the Amish were showing them up.

This would not go unpunished (nothing ever does).

Within a few years we had several tv shows –such as Breaking Amish, Return to Amish, Amish mafia, Amish out of order — designed to make the Amish look like evil monsters. Better yet, the television industry knew the Amish would do nothing about such libel and slander

• Diamond on July 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

Giles – you’re saying that recent television shows that tease the Amish are part of a revenge ploy by zionists mad over the fact that some Amish leaders forgave a murderer in 2007? Dude, what?! You really believe that???

Anti-Semitic conspiracy so far fetched it’s almost comical. You’re very lost my friend.

• on July 27, 2015, 7:40 am

Absolutely. Although I would say it is on the television moguls, not Zionists.

Look at the facts.

Pre the incident, not a single tv show about the Amish.

Since the incident, we get Breaking Amish, Return to Amish, Banshee, Amish Mafia, Amish Out of Order….each and every one a false and extremely negative take on the Amish.

How do you explain this development? Pure coincidence?

• annie on July 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

giles, there’s a book 2008 book called Amish in the media (Young Center Books in Anabaptist and Pietist Studies) johns hopskin university press: http://www.amazon.com/Amish-Center-Anabaptist-Pietist-Studies/dp/0801887895

check out the pre 2007 references:

including the popular tv series, amish in the city.

How do you explain this development? Pure coincidence?

hmm, frankly i think it’s a stretch to assume zionist mogels were taking revenge on the amish because they forgave the killer of the amish children. sounds a tad far fetched to me. maybe they just saw money in degrading people which the majority of reality shows are all about (that’s my impression anyway). there’s a market out there and as my links demonstrate — many people are fascinated by the amish — i guess.

• Diamond on July 27, 2015, 4:34 pm

I’m actually sitting at my computer laughing Giles. I don’t know how I explain the increased rate of shows about Amish. But I know that your theory – people were mad that Amish leaders forgave a murderer of 5 because it makes zionists look bad for their reaction to the holocaust – I mean, I don’t even know what to say. I’m done talking about this. Can’t tell if you have a heart filled with hate it if you’re just not very bright. Either way this is a pointless conversation.

• traintosiberia on July 26, 2015, 8:39 pm

hophmi

Can you write a piece on Hitler meeting with baby Wiesel with Goebbles and teaching him how to write self promoting short essay? Then make a comment on the generational gap in Nazi regime being no different than the generational gap this author is experiencing between the mother and the daughter.

• Mooser on July 26, 2015, 8:50 pm

” No, I don’t think that if she joked around about being ultra-orthodox it would be a huge deal.”

Gee, maybe I’ll work up a dynamite stand-up routine from the material in “Failed Messiah”.

2. JLewisDickerson on July 25, 2015, 5:02 pm

For G-d’s sake Phil, wake up and smell the NYT coffee (Robusta, not Arabica). It’s time to ‘write off’ the Times!
    In fact, it’s time to ‘write off’ both Times!

3. JLewisDickerson on July 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

RE: ‘NYT’ must think it has no Amish readers

MY COMMENT: Cut the NYT a little slack, Phil. After all, it’s not like the NYT referred to the Amish as shifty-eyed rug merchants!

SEE: “American Jewish leader calls Iranians manipulative ‘bazaaris’” ~ Philip Weiss, January 31, 2014

[EXCERPT] From Haaretz’s Chemi Shalev, who interviewed Malcolm Hoenlein, head of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations:

When Iranian Foreign Minister Muhammad Zarif was his country’s envoy to the United Nations, he invited Malcolm Hoenlein to have dinner at his New York home. “I keep kosher, so I didn’t eat,” Hoenlein recalls, “but we had plenty to talk about.”

“He’s a charming guy,” Hoenlein says, “I don’t dispute it. He’s intelligent and clever. Iranian President Hassan Rohani is also clever.” He pauses for a few seconds before delivering his punch line: “But we forget: These guys have been ‘bazaaris’ [bazaar merchants] for 2,000 years, while we come in as novices. They can run circles around us. They know how to negotiate and how to manipulate every situation.”

Heard any good stories about shifty-eyed Jews lately? [Dare I mention Benjamin Netanyahu?* – J.L.D.] . . .

SOURCE – http://mondoweiss.net/2014/01/american-iranians-manipulated.html

* P.S. SEE: “A Boy Called Bibi ~ Netanyahu on the Couch”, by Uri Avnery, CounterPunch.org, May 1-3, 2015

[EXCERPTS] . . . On the eve of the last election, just now, Netanyahu announced that there would not be a Palestinian state as long as he was in power. When the Americans remonstrated, he repudiated himself. Why not? As his Likud predecessor, Yitzhak Shamir, famously said, “It is permitted to lie for the Fatherland.”

Netanyahu will lie, cheat, repudiate himself, raise false flags – all for the purpose of achieving his one and only real goal, the Rock of our Existence (as he loves to say), the heritage of his father – the Jewish State from the sea to the river. . .

ENTIRE COMMENTARY – http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/05/01/ne

• traintosiberia on July 26, 2015, 8:46 pm

Hoenlein is right from his perspective. He has been looking for his homeland for 2000 yrs but has ended up in wrong country still wearing the sleepers that saved his soles( souls ) from Assyrian. He hasn’t paid them yet. So haggling and upfront payment are very natural.

4. piotr on July 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

This column is outright weird, apparently the writer described her inability of rationally raising children. Why send a child to a camp if she is unhappy? The “Amish” motif was just an example of utter inanity. The daughter was unhappy by being excluded from the conversation, and the motherly advise was wrong in every possible way. Only an idiot (or a New Yorker) can imagine Amish farm girl being sent to a summer camp, and also without a bonnet and a dress reaching below mid-calf. https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ay107585050amish-girls-play.jpg
    Hm, some groups do not use bonnets, but really, it is not simple to pass for an Amish girl even if your bra has no hooks.

Then, why would it help with the problem of being excluded from the conversation?

Finally, why spend money just to make a child unhappy?

• Mooser on July 25, 2015, 7:20 pm

“Why send a child to a camp if she is unhappy?”

What on earth? Why send a child… I ask you “piotr” could a happy child have composed this masterpiece!

• annie on July 25, 2015, 7:33 pm

Finally, why spend money just to make a child unhappy?

good question! and a 12 year old, bad age to be sending them away from their friends. maybe it’s a status thing to send your kids to camp (for some people). or maybe some parents want time off from their kids (sad). i can’t imagine doing that and then putting your kid thru the humiliation of taunting them in the nyt. maybe her kids are used to that. maybe they’ll laugh about it 10 years down the road — after therapy.

5. David Doppler on July 25, 2015, 6:17 pm

Column wasn’t worth reading in the first place – exchange of texts with unhappy 12 year old – all made worse by publishing them for all the world to see. The Amish angle is another thoughtless taking-advantage-of-others snark. What about it was worthy of “ink?”

• Mooser on July 26, 2015, 2:39 pm

“Column wasn’t worth reading in the first place – exchange of texts with unhappy 12 year old”

What a ways we’ve fallen since “Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda”.

6. catalan on July 25, 2015, 6:44 pm

Ethnic humor is wrong. Religious humor is wrong. Race humor is wrong. Gender humor is wrong. Nobody should make fun of anything at all. Nobody should write books which offend anyone. We all just to speak piously and with great respect about prophets and angels.
    This is so medieval. No wonder you guys so love Iran.

• echinococcus on July 25, 2015, 10:42 pm

Catalan,

You’ll never get it.
      It’s never wrong to sting and needle and ridiculize the stronger party. The winners. Those on top. Like the Zionits. The US. The rich.
      Did you hear that one about the Zionist who killed mother and father? Think of it, you did.

• Walker on July 25, 2015, 11:23 pm

The point is power, catalan. Weiner could make that crack in the Times because she is a member of a privileged group. Do you think the Times would give a platform to an Amish guy to make jokes about Jews?

What was it someone said – Comedy is funny and brave when aimed at yourself or the powerful. It’s lazy and cruel when aimed at the weak.

It’s not a level playing field. That’s what gets me. You don’t notice because you take it for granted.

• catalan on July 26, 2015, 10:42 am

“What was it someone said – Comedy is funny and brave when aimed at yourself or the powerful – ” waters
        First time I heard that rule. Perhaps you can publish a list of suitable targets for comedy. I wonder where Mormons would fall.

• Mooser on July 26, 2015, 2:41 pm

“First time I heard that rule.”

Yes, “Catalan”, that rule isn’t usually included in the “All-rightniks Handbook”.

• hophmi on July 26, 2015, 5:33 pm

“You don’t notice because you take it for granted.”

• annie on July 26, 2015, 6:45 pm

would not give two hoots about a couple of Amish jokes

it’s true he might not have even noticed. but, as it turns out, a reader wrote in and it seems they were offended by what they read. for all you know maybe they know some amish — who knows — it bothered them. so just as a host might on a radio show w/someone calling in – phil addressed it. so what? we get requests all the time. the extent of phil’s commentary was

that’s it. but it doesn’t take much to send you into high gear. you remind me of a chihuahua going crazy over the slightest details — when it comes to criticizing phil. it’s like your petty personal lot in life to be part of some entrapment, to take him down and you sound desperate. and at the same time lecturing others about Criticizing me is an easy way to be ….. well you ask for it when all you do is criticize. i mean really, so what. a reader wrote in so he published their concern.

look on the brightside. we don’t have ongoing television series titled “jewish mafia” or “jewish out of order” digging up weekly dirt on jewish people. maybe he’s just sticking up for the little guy. get a hold of yourself.

• hophmi on July 27, 2015, 1:05 pm

“but, as it turns out, a reader wrote in and it seems they were offended by what they read.”

Good. It WAS offensive. I don’t recall denying that it was. I recall calling bollocks on the idea that there was something especially unusual about Amish jokes. You apparently were shocked by them. Perhaps it’s because you’re in California; since most Amish live in Pennsylvania, and it’s a tourist destination, it’s common for people on the East Coast to travel there.

“but it doesn’t take much to send you into high gear. you remind me of a chihuahua going crazy over the slightest details — when it comes to criticizing phil. ”

This is an odd thing to say when Phil is a guy who reads an essay about a 12 year old at sleepaway camp and decides it’s worthy of a blog post because the writer is Jewish and inserted a couple of Amish jokes into it, and, let’s face it, has a habit of this kind of dog whistling, whether it’s raising a question of whether there are too many Jews on the Supreme Court or in government.

In any event, I will continue to criticize Phil when I see fit to do so.

• amigo on July 26, 2015, 10:04 am

“Nobody should make fun of anything at all” catalan

Then why do you persist in tempting us .

• Qualtrough on July 27, 2015, 1:03 am

catalan – I will take you at your word that a little ethic or religious humor doesn’t bother you. After all, who would get on the Internet and tell a bald-faced lie? But the reality is that many of your co-religionists don’t share your tolerance:

Critics Get Serious About Jewish American Princess Jokes

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/1988-04-05/news/vw-544_1_american-princess-jokes

Wherein you will find this golden nugget:

Geller (Rabbi Laura Geller, director of the Hillel Jewish Center at USC) said that while Jewish American Princess jokes were originally circulated only within the Jewish community, they have been increasingly co-opted by non-Jews in recent years, becoming more virulent in the process. And while the term was once leveled only at Jewish women, the slur “is now aimed at women in general,” she said.

Note from the above, once again, the refrain of “It’s OK when we do it, but not others.”

As with so many things concerning Israel and its backers, it’s OK when they do it, not when other do it”

It’s OK when we make comparisons and allusions to Nazis and Nazi behavior, but not OK if others do that to us.
      It’s OK when we repeatedly threaten other nations, not OK when others do that to us.
      It’s OK when we use Yiddish in discussing Israel,not OK when others do so.
      It’s OK when we criticize Israel’s shortcomings, not OK when others do so.

And so on ad nauseum.

Do I need to add that doing any of the above is a very quick way to get on the short list for being labeled an anti-semite or self-hating Jew?

I am sure the regulars here could add a dozen or more “It’s OK if we do it” rules to my brief list.

It’s all getting a bit tiresome.

• michelle on July 27, 2015, 8:05 pm

so by your measure you approve of making fun and/or offending the ethnic religious race gender of the Jewish people rather than the current great respect piously prophets and angels medieval treatment curremtly demanded
      this being your opinion what do you think about the efforts to wipe Palestine off the map
      a male once was told me all men lie
      i thought about this and concluded
      that all ‘men’ refuse to lie
      that it takes more then the crude basics to make a man
      men seek/speak truth
      G-d Bless

7. Citizen on July 27, 2015, 1:24 am

Mom, trying to placate her child by making jokes about the __(pick a group). So cute.

8. Marnie on July 27, 2015, 2:40 am

@ H’phi –
    “Oh, I notice it. I just also notice that Phil Weiss would not give two hoots about a couple of Amish jokes in the NY Times (and neither would the rest of you) if the writer didn’t have a Jewish last name. ”

Maybe Phil feels ashamed when he sees other Jews being stupid, maybe he’s embarrassed by them, maybe he feels that he needs to shame these Jews, who the hell knows? Maybe you should be man or woman enough to ask Phil directly instead of your typical passive-aggressive ring the doorbell and run away style of communication.

9. wondering jew on July 27, 2015, 4:10 am

I don’t know precisely how many generations or degrees of separation jennifer weiner is from the shtetl and the ultra orthodox jews who visually represent the shtetl in 2015. I know for myself that any study of the amish reminds me of the ultra orthodox and there may be a bit of that in most jewish told amish jokes.

is it really relevant to mondoweiss? yes. weiner mentioned a trip to israel and that she was jewish, therefore she is a valid target.

10. Marnie on July 28, 2015, 3:33 am

@yonah

“is it really relevant to mondoweiss?”…..blah, blah, blah. I wonder if weiner is as worked up as you seem to be regarding this. What do you mean by target? Of what, criticism? Oh but of course, criticism = antisemitism or in Phil’s case, the disgusting libel of self-hating Jew.

What has happened to this poor woman anyway? It seems the only victims in this entire story are her 12-year-old (who’s probably already in some kind of therapy, let’s face it) who has been exposed to a lot of ignorance, arrogance, prejudice and stereotyping by her mother. The other victims obviously are the Amish people themselves, who’ve been slandered by the smug Ms. Weiner. Why are you making Ms. Weiner a victim, Yonah? It seems to me that Ms. Weiner owes the Amish community an apology, if she is capable to making one and can make it sincerely. She also owes her daughter an apology for such public embarrassment.

Again you demonstrate that your concerns and sympathies lie elsewhere, not with the victim, but the perp. So very predictable.