‘Trump shows America’s dominant ideology’: A Palestinian take on the US election

US Politics

Dear American people, congrats for the new president! There are 59 million of you who are celebrating this. Let me tell you how things looks like from the other part of the world, the Middle East.

Some people here are happy as you are, but for a different reason. They see Trump as representing the true face of America: white supremacy. He does not try to beautify racism, elitism, xenophobia behind rhetorics, he says it as it is. They think for what America has done in the world, this is what suits it best. Others are wary his deeds as a president, internally and towards the outside. However, both camps agree on one thing: He is a very bad choice. And he is no different than the leaders we are fighting to overthrow here.

Not that they see Hillary as a better choice. On the contrary. In fact the Middle East’s view was that this elections was about the lesser of evils. So make no doubt.

Now that you know you have made a bad choice in the eyes of the rest of the world, regardless if you think it’s right, and regardless if it was through free elections, let’s recall history. What happens if the US is not happy with people’s choice in the rest of the world?

In 2006, Palestinians elected Hamas in a free election according to all international observers including the UN. Israel, the US and Europe did not like the results. They boycotted the Hamas Government, and cut all financial aid to the Palestinians as a punishment for their choice. Later on, this developed into supporting and collaborating with the Israeli blockade on Gaza, besieging about 2 million people in the biggest open earth prison on earth.

Iraq’s current destruction is because one of your presidents thought he has the “divine” mission to save the Iraqis from their dictator, and he decided to do so by lunching into war and destroying a whole country.

This attitude is not exclusive to the Middle East, google US interventions in Latin America, Vietnam and more to explore further.

I think what was striking for many of us this election, is the massive support Trump has received despite his blatant racist, elitist and sexist attitude towards people of color, immigrants, refugees, women etc., his hostility towards the Arab countries and more. No matter how you explain the voting trends, people voted for the package Trump represented.

For long we have struggled to differentiate between the Americans and America, between the people and the regime. You now make it harder!

We hear and understand the experts’ analysis on the “white working class” voting against the establishment and for a better economy. But listen to yourself, it’s a “white working class”, who voted for its own interest regardless of Trump’s racism, xenophobic messages and plans. I mean don’t you see how ethnocentric this is?

We are aware that Americans are not one hegemonic entity, and that it is composed of many different groups and communities with different privileges, classes, fears, concerns, struggles and fights. But the election of Trump shows what ideology is dominant and popular.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we don’t have power, weapons, forces, NATO or money to come “save” you, we have enough issues to deal with here. You have to do it on your own.

We just hope that the election of Trump will shake and wake enough of you so you join the struggle for justice everywhere. This is the bright side we all together should see!

A version of this post first appeared on Abir Kopty’s website

About Abir Kopty

Abir Kopty is a Palestinian activist and writer. Among her former positions was the spokesperson for the Popular Struggle Coordination Committee, and a city council member in Nazareth. She is currently working on her PHD in Media and communication at the Free University of Berlin. She tweets at @AbirKopty.

1. Kay24
    November 9, 2016, 10:48 am

An excellent article. It truly reflects how the rest of the world (unfortunately) feels about the US and it’s policies. It is sad to see the “what goes around, comes around” and the “America is asking for it” comments that many show in social media. Many in the world sympathize with this horrible decision to vote for this unbelievably unhinged man, yet there is a good point when they say that we get what we vote for, and for the consequences of such a decision, which would be felt in every corner of the world.
    To me, the majority who voted preferred to cut off their nose to spite their face, and the rest of us will feel the pain for years to come. Trump and his bunch of deplorable will be hitting that final nail in the coffin. It is a scary situation right now.

• Marnie
      November 9, 2016, 1:01 pm

I think my sister voted for trump. She tried to tell me that maybe ‘health care’ will ‘get fixed now’ and the ‘government will help the people’. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I told her that Hitler was going to be a man of and for the volk, and get the trains running on time and get rid of the ‘vermin’. I don’t live there anymore, I haven’t been back since I left many, many years ago, but my family and my husband’s family are all there and I’m worried for them. I’m not surprised about the election results. I think both choices were deplorable and think Bernie should have kept his ass out of the race if he wasn’t planning on fighting all the way and I’m pretty sure he could have gotten the nomination, instead he bailed out and told his millions of angry, hurt and resentful supports to vote for HRC.

The united states has done irreparable harm to people all over the world, in the name of oil and mineral wealth hidden with the cloak called democracy. It has harmed her own citizens of color, before they were considered citizens and to this day. The u.s. is proud and arrogant, but hasn’t yet atoned for the crimes commited against the indigenous people of the land and the Africans captured and transported to build the country. Something’s gotta give, and this might just be it.

• Kay24
        November 9, 2016, 5:25 pm

I am just as shocked as you are to realize that millions of Americans saw fit to vote for such an unqualified candidate, who has lied, insulted, shown open racism, has a history of scamming people, has no class, and openly brags about using his celebrity status to assault women.
        Surely we should have some decent standards when it comes to a President? 59 million people allowed their hatred for Clinton, and the “establishment”, to impair their judgement.

I read this excellent article and cannot remember where I got it from, but this will support what you have said.

• Marnie
      November 10, 2016, 12:04 am

“there is a good point when they say that we get what we vote for, and for the consequences of such a decision, which would be felt in every corner of the world.”

Being the ‘only superpower’ (hate these descriptors – unbelievable arrogance) comes with a lot of responsibility. If the u.s. hadn’t been acting like the world police since the end of ww2, who cares what you do or who you vote for. But the meddling into other countries affairs and other countries election processes is a hallmark of superpowerness. A Donald tRUMP presidency or HRC presidency will have tremendous negative impact on the rest of the world, not just americans. It’s a scary time to be human.

• Kay24
        November 10, 2016, 1:23 pm

It is indeed scary, and we have no one else but ourselves to blame for such ridiculous policies, and supporting such destructive elements around the world.

2. oldgeezer
    November 9, 2016, 11:41 am

I am astounded that someone with such a lack of (good) character could be elected to the highest office of power. It’s not a unique result in terms of world events. Indeed Israel has nutty and Canada had Mulrooney and Harper. In our case when Mulrooney declared Canada was open for business little did we know that subsequent events would show that it meant he was for sale and would be accepting hundreds of thousands in bribes as if he was a petty third world despot.

I avoided commenting on pre election articles as it’s not my election but now it’s over and done.

This was Hilary’s and the Democrats election to lose and they did it remarkably well.

I don’t know the size of the party but it is time for the democrats to do a lot of introspection. Hilary is not as vile, vulgar, misogynist or racist as trump yet she is not a person that I could ever support as a candidate. Her character and past has far too many black spots. Whatever the size of the party surely it could have found someone who was better suited to the task. Someone with a less checkered past who had the best interests of the country at heart. Hilary truly was the establishment candidate and there are many tens of millions of people who are tired of the country being run in the interests solely of the establishment.

I have said I couldn’t vote for Hilary so I have to add I couldn’t vote for Trump either. I do believe it’s a duty to vote so I would have had to pick a third party candidate.

I hope Trump’s hands will be tied to the extent that he can’t deliver on some of his more damaging campaign promises. I find hope in the fact that we have such a corrupt system that politicians rarely do deliver.

• RoHa
      November 9, 2016, 7:08 pm

I’m not convinced that Trump is a misogynist. A misogynist is someone who hates women, and I get the impression he likes women. He has married several. That doesn’t sound like hate to me.

• Marnie
        November 9, 2016, 11:55 pm

He definitely doesn’t like women. His marital history isn’t a testimony to his love of women. Jesus RoHa, what are you on? That doesn’t equal respect or seeing women as anything other than body parts. He’s the man who believes women must be ‘punished’ in some way for abortion. I’m guessing, provided the woman is attractive enough, a spanking at Trump’s tower of power.

What’s going to happen with that rape case I wonder? It will vanish into the ether. Just like america’s standing in the world.

misogynist

A person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.
        ‘a bachelor and renowned misogynist’
        Oxford dictionary.

• RoHa
        November 10, 2016, 4:22 am

“He definitely doesn’t like women.”

Then why does he keep marrying them? He might not have much respect for women, but that is not the same as disliking them.

He might be “strongly prejudiced against women” in some way, but the OED does not, alas, say what sorts of prejudice count.

“It will vanish into the ether. Just like America’s standing in the world.”

I suspect you have an unrealistic idea of America’s standing in the world.

• Marnie
        November 10, 2016, 9:37 am

“I suspect you have an unrealistic idea of America’s standing in the world. ”

If you mean that I expect it’s standing is greater than it actually is, I agree.

November 11, 2016, 4:40 pm

“and I get the impression he likes women. He has married several.”

That was big of him.

3. just
    November 9, 2016, 11:59 am

Thanks for this honest article, Abir. Thanks also to Carlos for his excellent representation of what has happened.

“Americans have a long way to go. The first thing you should stop doing is preaching to the world about democracy, freedom, values and start dealing with your own, excuse my language, shit. You were/are no better than other nations. Please stop with this “America is the greatest nation”, no you are not! You are like many others, with so many problems and issues you need to deal with.

It’s actually the opposite, it’s time for you to ask people in the so called “Third World” for advice, because we know your regime much better than you, and because we have been long resisting backward/racist/tyrant/dangerous regimes, that your country has supported, worked with, or sometimes against (depends on your interest) only to bring destruction and disaster. …”

Hurrah for speaking the truth!

I have long been ashamed of and more than concerned with America’s hypocritical and massively destructive killing machine of a ‘foreign policy’. Perhaps some in America will one day wake up to recognize this. As far as dominant “white supremacy”, US exceptionalism, and xenophobia that some wrongly think that only just seized this country~ it has been stoked and tended by many, and ignored by too many others who would rather blame anyone other than themselves.

I read this in an article this morning:

“Trump’s Victory: The Night White Supremacy Made It to the White House

… I thought that the election and re-election of Barack Obama by a coalition of America’s ethnic and religious and sexual-orientation spectrum laid the false religion of white supremacy to rest. Now I realize that Obama’s very presence in the White House, his capability and his dignity, were more than white supremacy could bear. Now my folly and my naiveté are revealed.

One part of me, looking at the entirely unpredicted election results, cannot help but wonder if Vladimir Putin’s hackers have suborned the voting process. Believe it or not, that conspiracy theory qualifies as optimism. More likely, and far worse, the United States has gleefully hugged evil to its morally contaminated breast. …”

You rightly ask and then answer this important question:

“What happens if the US is not happy with people’s choice in the rest of the world?”

Thank you.

• Marnie
      November 9, 2016, 11:57 pm

I think an invasion of the u.s. for their terrible choice of president may be in order. They obviously can’t vote in their best interests and are in need of a strong intervention. Friends don’t let friends elect the lesser of two evils. The whole election should have been boycotted.

• RoHa
        November 10, 2016, 4:56 am

Marnie, quite few of us suggested that the US was not ready for self-government back in 2000, when GWB “won” the election against Gore. We held that the country should revert to the Crown. However, it was also argued that this reversion could only apply to the original thirteen colonies, and that France, Spain, Mexico, and Russia would have to take care of the rest. Since none of those countries wanted to take on the burden, the idea was dropped.

Pity, really. The British Treasury could have made good use of the back-taxes from 1776.

November 13, 2016, 12:17 am

“We held that the country should revert to the Crown.”

Absolutely. A sort of commonwealth arrangement, or maybe something like the EU. Britain likes that kind of stuff.

4. kalithea
    November 9, 2016, 6:43 pm

Israeli government ministers and political figures are pushing the US president-elect, Donald Trump, to quickly fulfill his campaign promise to overturn decades of US foreign policy and recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv.

Their calls came as one of Trump’s advisers on Israel and the Middle East, David Friedman, told the Jerusalem Post that Trump would follow through on his promise.

It was a campaign promise and there is every intention to keep it,” Friedman said. ‘We are going to see a very different relationship between America and Israel in a positive way.”

He promise in March 2016 to move the U.S. Embassy in an interview with uber-Zionist gatekeeper, Wolf Blitzer:

And Jerusalem’s Mayor didn’t waste any time reminding him that now’s a good time.:

And the Israel’s Palestinian tool Abbas is still keeping the corpse of the two-state solution in his freezer thinking it might rise from the dead.:

A spokesman for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said, “We are ready to deal with the elected president on the basis of a two-state solution and to establish a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders.”

• kalithea
      November 9, 2016, 7:00 pm

I edited this but the correct version disappeared when I posted it.

• Mayhem
      November 10, 2016, 7:56 am

So a PA spokesman has said, “We are ready to deal with the elected president on the basis of a two-state solution”.
      Why not deal directly with Israel instead of running around and trying to coerce other nations to put pressure on Israel?

• echinococcus
        November 10, 2016, 11:46 am

Because the US is the only power able, even if now very unlikely to , force the Zionist entity to comply with the law by pulling from under it its military, financial and diplomatic support.
        Without our bullying, the survival expectancy of the Zionist entity would look like that of Albania trying to attack Russia.

• Mayhem
        November 10, 2016, 4:33 pm

STOP BULLYING ISRAEL (@StopBullyingIsr) on Twitter

• Marnie
        November 10, 2016, 11:47 pm

“Why not deal directly with Israel…….”

Why not? Maybe this will help you –

Dealing with israel would be like asking a vegetarian to get help adding meat to his diet by Hannibal Lecter.

Dealing with israel would be like asking victims of sexual assault to get one-on-one counseling with the likes of anthony weiner, donald tRUMP or bill cosby.

Dealing with israel would be like asking the zionists of 1937 or so to make a deal with the nazis……wait, never mind that one.

5. Stephen Shenfield
    November 9, 2016, 7:20 pm

One thing to Obama’s credit is that he did go easy on the “America is great’ rhetoric and acknowledge, at least at the start, that the US might learn something from other countries. Evidently that was too much reality for most Americans to tolerate.

6. mcohen.
    November 9, 2016, 9:19 pm

hillary clinton never grasped the difference between giving orders and taking orders

• Citizen
      November 10, 2016, 4:51 am

Really? I think she alway worked to be the central cog in the 1%’s agenda machine, the warrior queen of US imperialism.

7. Citizen
    November 9, 2016, 9:41 pm

A voter could have looked at it as a choice between more massive cancer and not completely controllable chemotherapy. A voter like me. Am I the only one?

• echinococcus
      November 10, 2016, 8:39 am

I doubt any diagnostic skills were employed to know how bad the disease was. True, the principle in chemotherapy is to kill as much as possible, hoping that the patient is marginally more resistant to it than hisher cancer. So basically there is no good answer anyway.

• michelle
      November 10, 2016, 1:34 pm

Sean: My father was an alcoholic. Mean fuckin’ drunk. He’d come home hammered, looking to whale on somebody. So I’d provoke him, so he wouldn’t go after my mother and little brother. Interesting nights were when he wore his rings.

Will: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the table. Just say, “Choose.”

Sean: Well I gotta go with the belt there.

Will: I used to go with the wrench.

Sean: Why the wrench?

Will: Cause fuck him, that’s why.

‘good will hunting’
      G-d Bless

8. scott9854958
    November 9, 2016, 11:07 pm

I love being lectured by left-wingers who use straw man arguments.

“The first thing you should stop doing is preaching to the world about democracy, freedom, values and start dealing with your own, excuse my language, shit. You were/are no better than other nations”

No one’s saying we are. In fact, Trump’s entire campaign is a repudiation of so-called American Exceptionalism, a neocon buzzphrase for endless interventions in the ME. Which he wants to stop so he can rebuild our broken country.

Please stop with this “America is the greatest nation.”

No one’s saying this either. The writer doth protest too much.

All in all, a rather childish rant. Trump may be able to help the Palestinians. He’s certainly less bloodthirsty than Hillary. Why doesn’t the writer give him a chance? I’ll tell you why. Because she has completely bought into the Cultural Marxist view of him as a bigot, because he likes border enforcement. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Palestinians’ plight and is quite simply a distraction that makes her look good to her SJW Facebook buddies, but doesn’t help one person in Ramallah.

• Annie Robbins
      November 10, 2016, 2:52 am

I love being lectured by left-wingers who use straw man arguments.

No one’s saying we are.

that’s no example of a strawman. if you don’t think US propaganda promotes the idea we are a beacon of democracy your head is (firmly embedded) in the sand.

Please stop with this “America is the greatest nation.”

No one’s saying this either.

clearly you don’t get around. lots of people say and/or think this. there’s no evidence of a strawman here. if the shoe fits…..

• Citizen
        November 10, 2016, 4:55 am

Not to worry, Rachel Maddow gave us all a list of the core bricks that makes America, America. One listed early was a free press, as distinguished from a government propaganda press. And she works for MSNBC!

• eljay
        November 10, 2016, 7:57 am

|| Annie Robbins @ November 10, 2016, 2:52 am ||

+1. The U.S. incessantly promotes itself as a purveyor and defender of freedom, justice, equality and democracy even as, among other things, it:
        – engages in torture, assassination and sundry human rights violations;
        – works to destabilize and overthrow sovereign governments;
        – installs and/or props up dictators;
        – selectively supports oppression, supremacism and inequality; and
        – undermines international laws.

• scott9854958
        November 10, 2016, 8:22 am

Try to focus Annie. This is about helping the Palestinians. Not virtue signalling on Trump.

“Lots of people say this…”

Now you’re channeling Trump. You know, the orange Cheeto Hitler you hate. “Lots of Muslims were celebrating on 9/11…”

• Annie Robbins
        November 10, 2016, 1:49 pm

speaking of “virtue signaling on trump” this is you is it not:

I love Trump and love his political instincts…..Trump’s entire campaign is a repudiation of so-called American Exceptionalism

not to be too elitist here, but claiming (or disclaiming) lots of people say and/or think ‘america is the greatest nation’ has similarities to claiming 1000’s of muslims in new jersy were celebrating on 9/11 (trump’s claim), is not really an argument i wish to pursue. i consider it sort of a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon claim, so far removed from logic or reality as to make it a complete waste of time.

re trump, yes i find him repulsive and grotesque. however, i don’t hate him. i’m not a fan of hatred or allegations of others so called hatred. try harder scott, your arguments are incomprehensible and it occurs to me you do not even know what a strawman is, given your inability to articulate.

• scott9854958
        November 10, 2016, 9:28 am

Yep Eljay, we’re bastards. And look at your country, Canada. A supporter of the British Empire which engaged in mass famine extermination of the Indian people. Probably close to 100m dead at the hands of the Brits. Churchill was arguably worse than Stalin and Hitler combined. Where was Canada then? Cheering and waving the Union Jack, that’s where.

So spare me your withering analysis of the U.S.

As for Canada, maybe you guys should treat your First Nations people better. Maybe get them out of their disgraceful trailer parks and give them proper housing, schooling and medical care. Just a thought. Ta…

• eljay
        November 10, 2016, 11:02 am

|| scott9854958: … Yep Eljay, we’re bastards. … ||

If you say so. I didn’t.

|| … And look at your country, Canada. A supporter of the British Empire which engaged in mass famine extermination of the Indian people. Probably close to 100m dead at the hands of the Brits. Churchill was arguably worse than Stalin and Hitler combined. Where was Canada then? Cheering and waving the Union Jack, that’s where. … ||

Yup, what happened before I was born is shameful and I condemn it. This in no way alters your inaccurate assertion of how America views itself.

|| … So spare me your withering analysis of the U.S. … ||

What “withering analysis”? You claimed quite incorrectly that the U.S. doesn’t think overly-highly of itself. I merely pointed out that you were quite incorrect.

|| … As for Canada, maybe you guys should treat your First Nations people better. Maybe get them out of their disgraceful trailer parks and give them proper housing, schooling and medical care. … ||

1. Why only maybe? I say definitely.
        2. This has no bearing on your inaccurate assertion of how America views itself.

• scott9854958
        November 10, 2016, 1:53 pm

@eljay

• gamal
        November 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

“Trump. You know, the orange Cheeto Hitler you hate.”

in Presidential terms orange is the new black

• scott9854958
        November 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Hey Annie, thanks for combing through my archived comments to make your “point.” This is usually the last, pathetic gasp of the slow-witted and unimaginative, or, maybe, someone with an “inability to articulate.” I hope you found it enlightening. In any case I don’t believe my support for Trump equals virtue signalling; in fact, it would be precisely the opposite, since a virtue signaller is looking for approval from the herd. I’m not.

Since you took the time to dig through my greatest hits, did anything else strike your fancy, Annie? Even I can’t be bothered to go in there.

• Annie Robbins
        November 10, 2016, 3:31 pm

sorry to disappoint — but i didn’t comb or dig through them, just put “trump” in the search function — took all of 30 secs to view the results.

last, pathetic gasp of the slow-witted and unimaginative,

i found it efficient actually. ad hominem noted. ;)

I don’t believe my support for Trump equals virtue signalling

unlike my claim lots of people think america’s the greatest? you think that’s .. never mind… chomp chomp chomp

• gamal
        November 10, 2016, 4:36 pm

“This is usually the last, pathetic gasp of the slow-witted and unimaginative, or, maybe, someone with an “inability to articulate.” I hope you found it enlightening. In any case I don’t believe my support for Trump equals virtue signalling; in fact, it would be precisely the opposite, since a virtue signaller is looking for approval from the herd. I’m not.”

say what you like Trump’s got some white guys their groove back.

go for it Scott carve your own independent path to supporting the POTUS, you iconoclastic rogue, you are not really alone.

As Hofstader drily remarked and you fully validate

“…the danger that American society as a whole will over-esteem intellect or assign it such a transcendent value as to displace other legitimate values is one that hardly troubles us.” “

• eljay
        November 10, 2016, 6:11 pm

|| scott9854958: @eljay
        Yeah, you’re probably right about how America views itself. After all, you live in Canada, so you’re the expert. … ||

I’m no expert – never claimed to be. I just read/hear American politicians and bureaucrats and the media routinely boasting about how wonderful America is. You should try paying attention to your own people.

|| … Certainly more than me anyway. I was only born here & lived here all my life, and interact with Americans every day. … ||

Goody for you! :-) Now try paying attention.

|| … In the future, you might want something called “evidence” to back up your assertions. I certainly don’t see any. ||

You made your assertion without any evidence. All I did was point out that you were wrong. I hope you learn from your mistakes. But you probably won’t… :-(

• gamal
      November 10, 2016, 6:46 am

“All in all, a rather childish rant”

as Sacvan Berkovitch observed it is an assumption of American “egalitarianism” that

“My ignorance is as good as your knowledge”

9. RoHa
    November 10, 2016, 5:09 am

O.K. Hillary is a corrupt, lying, war-mongering, monster. Trump is a racist, sexist, xenophobic, monster.

Those were your candidates. Not John Kennedy. Not Robert Kennedy. They are long gone, and you have had nothing but a choice between the dire and the depressing ever since. That’s the way your country is. (And I’m not saying other countries are much better.) If you don’t like it, work to change it.

But in the meantime, you’ve got President Trump. Suck it up and stop moaning.

• echinococcus
      November 10, 2016, 8:16 am

That should be the one remark in a million that might be worth hearing, once in a century, from any goddam un-American furriner.

• Keith
      November 10, 2016, 10:37 am

ROHA- “But in the meantime, you’ve got President Trump. Suck it up and stop moaning.”

That is exactly right. Hillary represented an extreme militarized version of the corporate agenda. Trump represents a slightly different version of the corporate agenda. The overwhelming majority of voters rebuffed the opportunity to vote for real Third Party change, instead voting for some version of the corporate agenda. How long has this been going on? We are where we are in no small measure because the voters have steadfastly voted for the corporate agenda which they claim to oppose but support with their vote. The majority of American voters deserve what they got. I don’t but they do.

Protesting Trump serves no useful purpose and feeds in to the empire’s desire to divide and rule. Christian versus Muslim, Sunni versus Shia, Blue versus Red, etc. Kshama Sawant, Seattle’s “socialist” city council person is supporting an anti-Trump rally. To what purpose? Much better to rally and support the Indians at Standing Rock who could use some help in their worthy efforts.

November 10, 2016, 4:19 pm

• Keith
        November 10, 2016, 7:28 pm

MOOSER- “What is so funny is that the people who voted for Trump are the same people he always stiffs.”

What is not funny is that the people who voted for Hillary are the same people that she has stiffed and who she would have stiffed had she won. When you vote for the corporate candidate, you are voting for the corporate agenda, hence, will always get stiffed. And since the American people can always find excuses for voting for the corporate candidate instead of Third Party, the American people can be counted on to vote to stiff themselves. They will not revolt at the polls. Since Wall Street more or less runs things anyway, there will be less difference between what Trump does versus what Hillary would have done than most folks imagine. Perhaps some slight reduction in warmongering with Trump, but maybe not. Trump will be a disaster. Hillary would have been a disaster. But people will continue to deceive themselves regarding the nature of the political economy.

• Sibiriak
        November 10, 2016, 10:35 pm

Keith: We are where we are in no small measure because the voters have steadfastly voted for the corporate agenda which they claim to oppose but support with their vote
        ——————-

In the final analysis, you are, of course, absolutely correct.

I would only want to point out that Trump’s actual rhetoric was predominantly anti-corporate, anti-establishment, anti-elite, anti-neoliberal.

Please take a look (perhaps again) at one of Trump’s final two minute ads:

It’s a simple, powerful, tell- it- like -it -is attack on the transnational capitalist elite and their predatory, people-crushing neoliberal policies.

Except perhaps for the reference to “massive immigration”, it could have been written by Michael Moore.

Now compare Hillary Clinton’s final ad:

Твою мать! How many vapid cliches can she try to shove down my throat? I want to throw up.

November 11, 2016, 11:34 am

“What is not funny is that the people who voted for Hillary are the same people that she has stiffed and who she would have stiffed had she won.”

That’s not funny either? Okay, okay, I’ll try to keep a straight face. If you hear a sound like an asthmatic steam-engine, that’s me, trying to hold back the guffaws.

• Keith
        November 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

SIBIRIAK- “It’s a populist message a real progressive could and should run on–but never will.”

It was a highly effective and inherently dishonest attack ad which highlights the symptoms while ignoring the deeper structural factors. It also implies that Trump will make fundamental changes to the system which he won’t. He threw Hillary’s dismal record back at her. Hillary’s ad highlighted Hillary trying to sound like Obama. Big mistake. I would have thought that she would go the full demonization of Trump route. Trump put on a better show and effectively exploited the discontent with the downward spiral inherent in neoliberal globalization. Trump is a con man masquerading as a populist. Hopefully, he will be less of a war monger than Hillary, a rather easy task. As an aside, following a link from some other thread (?), some Jewish publication called Trump’s ad anti-Semitic because he showed George Soros, Janet Yellen and Lloyd Blankfein. Shocking! Nobody here but us chickens.

• Sibiriak
        November 11, 2016, 2:57 pm

@Keith: I agree with all your points.

Cf. the intellectually and morally degenerate Huffington Post’s absurd article:

Donald Trump’s Closing Ad Has Anti-Semitic Overtones Not a great look for a campaign with record support from white nationalists and neo-Nazis.

November 11, 2016, 4:20 pm

“Trump put on a better show and effectively exploited the discontent with the downward spiral inherent in neoliberal globalization.”

That’s right! Why how many times did Trump remind, and by remorseless logic prove, that the profits of neoliberal globalization were all going to women, minorities and poor foreigners, and he would change all that. Yep, Trump, his populist commitment sharpened by decades of stiffing contractors and workers, could sense the anger at neoliberal globalization simmering in the 30-50 yea old white-guy midwestern breast and gave it expression.

Man I don’t care how bad I needed an empty suit into which to pour my dreams, I wouldn’t pick his.

November 11, 2016, 4:38 pm

“Donald Trump’s Closing Ad Has Anti-Semitic Overtones “

??? Gee, as I remember, the ad didn’t say a thing about Zionism or Israel.

• echinococcus
        November 11, 2016, 7:08 pm

Mooser,

No, the ad said nothing about Jews or Israel or anything like it.
        But, see, the propaganda division said it and the usual suspects, 36 magazines or so, just happened to hit on the same idea the same day.

• Keith
        November 12, 2016, 2:29 pm

SIBIRIAK- “How many vapid cliches can she try to shove down my throat?”

Thanks to you, I have viewed both of these ads several times with a critical eye. I think a key element to this is that although both Obama and the Clintons’ policies and actions are militaristic and right wing, they nonetheless have been labeled as leftists, hence, their disastrous policies and actions are associated with “the Left.” Clinton’s “vapid cliches” have a certain liberal flavor to them consistent with her phony image. What loosely passes for the American Left has been effectively tarred with the consequences of these imperial neoliberal actions which they seemed to support or at least didn’t oppose. Regrettably, Jill Stein probably also suffered because, in spite of huge policy differences, she SOUNDS liberal. It is not too much of a stretch to imaging these cliches coming out of Jill’s mouth. Regrettably, in politics, image is everything. Obama remains personally popular even though his policies are strongly disliked.

Getting back to Trump. His ad was extremely effective in putting Hillary and her actions at the center of the corporate/financial class war against the 99%. He also did a good job of presenting himself as the champion of the working class, a ludicrous proposition which, nonetheless, offered these victims of the Washington consensus a false ray of hope. He implied a lot while promising nothing. To a significant degree, he is the right-wing version of Barack Obama, attacking the status quo in general terms while allowing his desperate followers to project their hope onto him. Trump effectively articulated and tapped into the discontent of those most effected by imperial policy. In contrast, Jill Stein comes across as a policy analyst rather than as a righteous, fired up agent of change. I voted for her but, in many ways, the Green Party is a disappointment to me.

• Annie Robbins
        November 12, 2016, 4:43 pm

keith, once sanders was out he positioned himself to pick up the sanders independents. absurd yes, but it looks like it worked to an extent.

November 13, 2016, 12:09 am

“I think a key element to this is that although both Obama and the Clintons’ policies and actions are militaristic and right wing, they nonetheless have been labeled as leftists, hence, their disastrous policies and actions are associated with “the Left.”

. I never thought of it that way before.

November 13, 2016, 12:23 pm

This is great. While I was sitting at my computer, agape at Keith’s revelation, my wife hustled me into the car, downtown to the Dentist, and he drilled-and-filled three cavities without xylocaine and I never noticed.

10. michelle
    November 10, 2016, 1:08 pm

in many ways it seems like
    Trump/Hillary mirror each other
    except Hillary wears a mask and gloves
    the world has been screwed by the ‘hillarys’ for ever so long
    too bad Sanders had no true conviction
    G-d Bless

11. Kay24
    November 10, 2016, 8:10 pm

I guess this too will go nowhere. The level of support that the occupier has from our corrupt politicians is endless. Is this a “good cop” moment like many others before that faded into the wilderness?

US backs right to boycott Israel

12. michelle
    November 11, 2016, 12:12 am

politics = sugar pills
    hurry up and wait for someone else to make the changes needed to empower us/the masses
    when just afew easy changes on our part will/would do the task nicely
    if the minium wage was changed to a living wage
    that would empower the people
    that would reenforce the foundation every community
    that would spread well being like a pebble in a pond
    a million people spend more/support more than one millionaire
    no one with a full time job should need welfare to afford lifes basics
    do the math and you will find such people are actually paying to work
    and if you think about it the company that they work for is the true welfare recipient
    it would be easy for the masses to change the minium wage into a living wage
    waiting for the rich and/or the powerful to bring about change that would improve the lives of the masses is a dead end street
    by making one simple change and encouraging others to do the same we the people can change the minium wage to a living wage quicker than our leaders ever could/would/will
    right here and now with little effort
    we the people can make this world a better place for every & all
    G-d Bless

• eljay
      November 14, 2016, 8:15 am

|| Jackdaw: Abir. Egypt. [hyperlink] ||

… “As Egyptian citizens, Christians don’t feel they are equal to their Muslim counterparts,” said Bishop Makarios, the head of the Coptic diocese in Minya province, where Asem is situated. “They feel oppressed, and marginalized by the law.” …

This sounds like a very complex and nuanced problem until you realize that there’s a very simple solution: Egypt just needs to take a page from the Zio-supremacist playbook and start referring to itself as a “Muslim and democratic state”.

This would immediately legitimize all injustices and allow Muslim supremacists to make reasonable-sounding pleas for a favourable (to them) “peace” even as their supremacist Muslim co-collectivists continue to oppress non-Muslims.

Ta dah!

• Jackdaw
        November 14, 2016, 10:42 am

@eljay

Consider the plight of these poor souls. They were made refugees by the civil war in Syria. They found temporary refuge in Egypt, until their situation there became untenable. Are they Copts? Than they sought safety in Gaza, only to rejected because they are Syrians and not Palestinians.

Yes Abir. Israel is the REAL issue.

• eljay
        November 14, 2016, 11:10 am

|| Jackdaw: @eljay Consider the plight of these poor souls. … ||

I considered the plight of those poor souls and it is tragic. I would like to see their plight resolved through the application of justice, accountability and equality and not through the creation of a oppressive, colonialist, (war) criminal and religion-supremacist “Copt State”.

|| … Than they sought safety in Gaza, only to rejected because they are Syrians and not Palestinians. … ||

The article you linked to makes no mention of Gaza or Palestinians.

|| … Yes Abir. Israel is the REAL issue. ||

When it comes to Israel’s…
        – decades-long and on-going campaign of aggression, oppression, theft, colonization, destruction, torture and murder;
        – intransigence, belligerence and general disregard for international laws and human rights; and
        – existence as a religion-supremacist state,
        …yes, Israel is the REAL issue.

• Jackdaw
        November 14, 2016, 12:56 pm

@eljay

The article I forgot to link.

• eljay
        November 14, 2016, 3:04 pm

|| Jackdaw: @eljay The article I forgot to link.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4878801,00.html ||

Thanks for the link. The article does a good job of highlighting just how difficult life in Gaza is for everyone, not just Syrian refugees.

13. Jackdaw
    November 15, 2016, 12:16 am

Abir Kopti has, for the longest time, willfully ignored the very real plight of Coptic Christians in the Middle East, while downplaying the relative prosperity of Coptic Christians in Israel.

These days, Kopti is in Berlin, close to the German Left’s NGOs, and the aid money they bestow on the Palestinians.