Land surveyor Abdulhadi Hantash reports news about the illegal Israeli occupation of Kharsa, near Dura inside Area A of the West Bank. Area A is supposed to be entirely administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords.
The Israeli occupation authorities issued a Military Order No. 22/17 /M D dated 7/7/2017 establishing a military observation tower on the triangle of Kharsa village south of Dura. I would like to clarify the following:
1. The location of the tower is Area A of Palestinian sovereignty in full.
2. The site is within the boundaries of Dura Municipality and its sovereignty.
3. The street called 3265 [shown on map] allows Israelis to pass through it only, and they are not entitled to stand on this street, nor is it permissible for any Israeli patrol to operate the planks, whether blue or red, on top of the vehicles of the occupation army.
4. Israelis and Israeli soldiers are not allowed to walk on this street through foot patrols.
5. Israelis are not entitled to hot pursuit on this street even if they are shot.
6. This tower and this military order is a clear violation of the agreements between the occupation and the Palestinian Authority.
The consequences of this military order:
1. Put 4 gates or closures on this junction.
2. The area adjacent to the city of Dura is completely separated and includes all the western villages such as: Ayyoun Abu Saif, Wadi Obaid, Khirbet Salama, Fakees, Beit Awwa, Deir Samet, Sikka, Tawas, Majd, Deir Al Assal, Tahta, Al-Tahta – Beit Al-Roush Al-Fawqa – Beit Marsam – Al Borg – Al Bireh.
3 – Separation of the southern villages from Dura and these villages are: Kharsa – Abda – Surra – Marish – Alaqa Fawqa – Alaqa Tahta , Karza – Abu Al ghuzlan – Abu Alasja ,Raboud – Abu Ghazlan – Duma – Dhahiriyah.
4. Separation of the eastern Region: Taraamah – Deir Razih – Karma – Hadeb – Fawwar.
5. Separation of the northern region: the city of Dura – and all the surrounding villages.
Yesterday, the military tower was erected in three parts. The area was declared a closed military zone for 24 hours and workers in the area were prevented from working or being in the area. The occupation forces will put cameras and other monitoring devices there. The occupation forces will stop vehicles from all directions at this junction, and cite and possibly arrest drivers for violations. They have already begun stopping all vehicles that pass through this area, taking the passengers out of the cars to check their identities. One youth has already been arrested.
According to the military order, the Israeli occupation authorities gave the owners of the land 30 days to object to this decision. However, the occupation authorities did not honor this period and instead imposed facts on this land before the expiration of the deadline, or even waiting for the decision of the court. Such early action makes all objection by the owners of the land futile. This is against the law and international law. This theft is not the first time that the law has been breached this way. The time citizens* are supposedly given to object is only a show for the media, so the occupation can pretend to be a state of law.
With my respect,
*Hantash calls the people of Palestine “citizens,” though citizenship is precisely what Israel illegally denies all the Palestinian people it rules in the occupied lands–despite the 11.29.12 United Nations Resolution 67/19 granting Palestine the status of a sovereign non-member observer state.