Give now — and double your impact. We began the summer fundraising campaign for Mondoweiss two weeks ago, with the goal of raising $60,000 to continue and grow our reporting from Palestine. Today, I’m excited to share with you the generous challenge of Mondoweiss supporters Stephan Shaw and Sunita Viswanath: they will match the first $2500 we receive in gifts and pledges over the next 24 hours.
I had the opportunity to speak with Stephan and Sunita at a June gathering in New York City. Along with my colleagues Scott Roth and Tova Perlmutter, I got to meet dozens of Mondoweiss readers and witness firsthand the passion and expertise of our community.
I need to ask those of you who have not yet given this summer, but who believe in our work — please step up now, and claim the match Stephan and Sunita have offered.
Since last December, when Ahed Tamimi was arrested by Israeli troops, many who have read Mondoweiss articles about her have donated in her honor to support our work telling her story. This week, when she and her mother Nariman returned home, I could feel the joy echo through our community. You and I deserve the inspiration of the Tamimis’ sumud.
Just in the past two weeks, you could learn from Mondoweiss about
- The sentencing of poet Dareen Tatour
- Israeli forces’ interception of Al Awda, the latest Freedom Flotilla boat
- Marah Al-Abadseh, a 13-year-old protester at Gaza-Israel border
- Palestinian hip-hop artist Ibrahim Ghunaim, aka MC Gaza
- “Killing Gaza,” the new documentary film by Max Blumenthal and Dan Cohen
- Arkan Mezher, the 15-year-old boy Israeli forces killed July 23
- The release of a statement defending BDS by 39 Jewish groups around the world
- Reaction to passage of the “nation-state” law by Palestinians (“nothing changed”) and American Jewish organizations (“a mistake”)
- The interrogation at Ben-Gurion of a millionaire American Jewish donor to Israel — just for carrying a Palestine tourism pamphlet.
Are you ready to help us meet the 24-hour challenge? Will you give today in honor of just one of these important stories? If you contribute in Ahed’s name, we will inform her of your support.
I feel the work we do at Mondoweiss as a profound responsibility, but also a privilege. For most of my life I would never have believed I could play a significant role in a global struggle for freedom. It is a privilege to be empowered by this community, and to have the opportunity—thanks to your investment in this site—to tell the world about all the ways Palestinians work to gain their freedom.
Please help us continue this vital work, and prove to our challenge donors that we can meet their offer within 24 hours. Your contribution will make a real difference in sharing the truth about Palestine.