After Israeli anchor calls out brutality of ‘occupation’, political leaders land hard on her

News

This is a big story in Israel. On Saturday, Channel 13 anchorwoman Oshrat Kotler commented on a case of sadistic Israeli soldier beatings of a Palestinian father and son in occupied territory, saying:

They send children to the army, to the territories, and get them back human animals. That’s the result of the occupation.

The response was immediate. Thousands of expressions of rage streamed in from audiences, and many leaders on the right were condemnatory. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted:

Proud of IDF soldiers and love them very much. Oshrat Kotler’s words should be roundly condemned.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett Bennett wrote:

Oshrat, you’re confused. IDF soldiers give their lives so you can sleep peacefully. Human animals are the terrorists who murder children in their beds, a young girl on a walk or a whole family driving on the road. IDF soldiers are our strength. Our children. Apologize.

“After they finished, they started dancing”

The story goes back to January 8th, when Israeli combat soldiers arrested a Palestinian father and his 15-year-old son in the village of Abu Shukheidim in the West Bank. The two, unnamed in news reports, were suspected of aiding As’am Barghouti, a Palestinian accused of killing two soldiers from the same Israeli battalion in December, but the two were said not to be directly involved in the attack.

The two were handcuffed and blindfolded, and the soldiers punched and kicked them, and hit them with their weapons, causing severe wounds. One soldier filmed the event. The soldiers were in fact indicted, and last week, Ynet published some of the testimonies.

The son testified that he was beaten by four soldiers in the face, chest, stomach and legs.

They hit my knee with the gun barrel and my chest, knees, thighs and groin with the butt end… I couldn’t open my left eye. My mouth was full of blood and my shirt was soiled as well. I also bled from my nose.

He added that some of the abuse was verbal as well.

One of the soldiers asked me to say ‘In spirit, in blood, we will redeem Palestine’ while I watched him beat up my father. The soldier told me ‘Look at your dad. He deserves to be beaten. You think you’re patriotic.’

He added that no one had intervened to stop the abuse, and that “after they finished, they started dancing.”

The father testified that he was cursed at and hit with a belt. “When I asked them why they were beating me up, they hit me with the butt end of their weapons and one of the soldiers stepped on my face and broke my nose. I bled profusely and wasn’t allowed to speak. I shouted at them but they told me to shut up. I was then hit in the face and lost consciousness.”

“Settling scores”

The commander of the battalion clarified that he does not regret sending his soldiers on the mission. In his investigation, he said that he has no doubt that it was necessary in order to “settle scores” with the assailant who had killed two fighters from his battalion and that this was necessary in order to “create a feeling of success amongst the fighters.”

He also said that their behavior was unacceptable and that he suspended them from duty. Although the arrest of the other soldiers has been extended until today, the IDF Spokesperson said that the commander of the battalion is no longer under arrest.

Death threats to Kotler and condemnation from top executives

Channel 13 has assigned bodyguards to Kotler due to death threats. She now risks trial for Defamation, and has also been called in for disciplinary hearings by the news station’s executives.

Executive Yulia Shmuelov Berkovitch of the Second Authority (which monitors commercial television stations for adherence to ethics), condemned Kotler for “expressing her opinion” (Haaretz, Hebrew):

Oshrat Kotler is an anchor, not an interpreter. She definitely overstepped her authority.

Berkovitch did not refer directly at all to the “human animals” expression, but rather to “occupation”:

It’s not alright what she said. If she speaks about ‘occupation’, let her go to politics. Soon they are closing the lists for the parties [for elections], let her find her place there.

Haaretz interviewer Itai Stern wondered:

Is it not permitted to say the word “occupation” in broadcast anymore? Is that an illegitimate expression of opinion?

Berkovitch:

What do you mean? There’s a wide public in Israel that doesn’t agree with this definition, so of course there’s a political statement here.

See, this is really the point of it all. It’s not that these soldiers behaved like “human animals”, that is, with unfathomable sadistic barbarism. That’s not the issue at all. The issue is that Kotler said “occupation”.

H/t Ofer Neiman

Jonathan Ofir

Israeli musician, conductor and blogger / writer based in Denmark.

1. amigo on February 19, 2019, 12:21 pm

Nietanyahu /Bennett and the soldiers are dancing on Judaism and will in due course feel the pain of the Occupation they so blithely deny the existence of.

Isn,t Nietanyahu and his ice cream slurping and coke can recycling Mrs , due to be arrested any day soon.

Seems to me I read that the AG of the Apartheid regime is unwilling to wait until after the elections.The last thing the Palestinians need is for this war criminal to still be running for office during which he will show his followers just how tough he can be , which will assure him of re-election , given the lust for blood of most Israeli Jews.

Absent re-election maybe he can get some advice from Katsav and Olmert about being behind bars .

• jrg on February 21, 2019, 10:09 pm

Amigo: “given the lust for blood of most Israeli Jews.”

Amigo, how can you be confident of such an ugly generalization? How many Jewish Israelis do you know or have you knows? How many surveys of Israeli Jewish attitudes have you seen that would substantiate your accusation? I have no doubt that Jewish Israelis have little liking for Palestinians, since no doubt all that they hear or read about, or view online or on TV concerns Palestinian “terrorist” attacks and statements by the their leaders about how what they’re going to do to the Jews. It’s most unlikely that first-hand Palestinian accounts of how the occupation is affecting them appear in the Israeli media.

This post raises a larger concern about Mondoweiss that I have developed since I began reading it regularly a few months ago: A large number of those who comment regularly (and I’ll name a few: ElJay, Keith, Amigo, Citizen, Annie, JWWalters, Maximus et al) seem to proceed on the premise, usually not explicitly stated, that the Jewish populations of North America, Europe and Israel alike as such are to be regarded as adversarial in the main and that therefore it is useless to attempt any productive communication with the latter (as in ElJays statement elsewhere that Zionists are “immoral and hateful people”, seemingly without exception; likewise, ElJay, how many Zionists do you know? “Immoral and hateful.” Apart from their positions on I-P, do they mug people, molest children, beat their spouses, put cigarettes out in their dogs’ eyes?). It is difficult to wax indignant at the charge of anti-Semitism under such conditions, even if it’s based on a misunderstanding. I take a different view: As an article here a few days ago pointed out, the basis of Israel’s support is U.S. Jewry, not so much Christian Zionists. It must follow that every Jewish defection from Zionism will have the effect of several non-Jewish ones. That really should be our goal. It also follows that every uptick or incidence of anti-Semitism in the Disapora deals cards to the Zionist camp. Writing about the bloodlust of “most” Jews, in Israel or anywhere else, simply reinforces Zionist polemics.

I request that those who comment on this post do so without in an earnest and straightforward manner, without sarcasm or vitriol.

• JWalters on February 22, 2019, 1:15 am

“A large number of those who comment regularly (and I’ll name a few: ElJay, Keith, Amigo, Citizen, Annie, JWWalters, Maximus et al) seem to proceed on the premise, usually not explicitly stated, that the Jewish populations of North America, Europe and Israel alike as such are to be regarded as adversarial in the main and that therefore it is useless to attempt any productive communication with the latter”

I absolutely do NOT proceed on the premise you ascribe to me. I routinely distinguish between the whole Jewish community and the criminals who run and support Israel. And as someone sensitive to that distinction, it seems to me all the other posters you name also make that distinction routinely. Further, I feel reasonably confident that posts which did make blanket statements about all Jews of the sort you describe would normally be blocked by the moderators.

You equate “most Israeli Jews” with “most Jews”, and then add a detached qualifier to the latter. That is not an honest equation.

Zionist polemics do not need the posts and articles at Mondoweiss to be reinforced. Zionist polemics preceded these articles and comments by many years. One of the key goals of these articles and comments is to wake up diaspora Jews to the ATROCITIES being committed. That will not be done with sugar coating. They need to hear the shocking truth.

It may not be apparent to you, but many posters here can testify that the Mondoweiss editors are sensitive to what the American Jewish audience can bear to hear, and do reject comments that are accurate but tactically too soon, and thus potentially counter-productive.

• echinococcus on February 22, 2019, 3:19 am

“that the Jewish populations of North America, Europe and Israel alike as such are to be regarded as adversarial in the main”
        Correct. All surveys to date, all communal organizations, no exception.

“and that therefore it is useless to attempt any productive communication with the latter (as in ElJays statement elsewhere that Zionists…”
        You propaganda so-and-so. He writes “Zionist”

“any productive communication with the latter”
        No successful try in 120 years.

“Zionists are “immoral and hateful people”, seemingly without exception”
        By definition so. They support and enable Zionism, a huge crime against humanity.

“how many Zionists do you know? ”

“Immoral and hateful” by definition. Case closed.
        “Apart from their positions on I-P”
        Position on Palestine (no I-P shilly-shallying, please) is enough.

“It must follow that every Jewish defection from Zionism will have the effect of several non-Jewish ones. That really should be our goal”
        Irrelevant. Forget working on people hardened by tribal allegiances. Better work on the general population, who have no such baggage.

• echinococcus on February 22, 2019, 4:23 am

Continuing:
        “every uptick or incidence of anti-Semitism”
        Define that beast clearly to start with. Is it racism, clearly defined as group discrimination based on the individual’s accident of birth? Then call it racism. Does it target anything that is acquired? Like religion, tribal allegiance, attack on any majority or minority habits? Then that can and must be discussed: it may be prejudice or it may be fact.
        “in the Disapora…”
        that word causes some dissapor indeed, as it tries to shove down the throat of the reader, undiscussed, documented propaganda nonsense.
        “Writing about the bloodlust of ‘most’ Jews, in Israel or anywhere else…”
        Where was that? He wrote “Israeli Jews” –who are, by definition, Zionist invaders or offspring thereof (negligibly small exceptions.)
        Also, the “bloodlust of those” outside the Zionist entity who profess themselves Jewish and simultaneously support the Zionists is a matter of the very definition of Zionism. What is there to discuss?

• eljay on February 22, 2019, 8:55 am

|| jrg: … A large number of those who comment regularly (and I’ll name a few: ElJay, Keith, Amigo, Citizen, Annie, JWWalters, Maximus et al) seem to proceed on the premise, usually not explicitly stated, that the Jewish populations of North America, Europe and Israel alike as such are to be regarded as adversarial in the main … ||

Once again, a Zionist anti-Semitically conflates Zionism with all Jews and all Jews with Zionism. Why do you Zionists insist on hating Jews so much?

Zionists hypocritically advocate, engage in, justify and/or defend one particular brand of evil. I advocate the universal and consistent application of justice, accountability and equality. How can Zionists not be regarded as adversarial?

(I think it’s cute how in your Zionist mind I’m the bad guy while the supremacists who choose to be, do and/or defend evil are the good guys.)

|| … and that therefore it is useless to attempt any productive communication with the latter … ||

|| … (as in ElJays statement elsewhere that Zionists are “immoral and hateful people” … ||

Zionists are hateful and immoral people because they choose deliberately and unapologetically to be supremacists and to advocate, engage in, justify and/or defend evil against others. If you don’t have a problem with that, it’s because you’re a Zionist.

|| … Apart from their positions on I-P, do they mug people, molest children, beat their spouses, put cigarettes out in their dogs’ eyes?). … ||

Wow. I couldn’t disagree more. But for some reason I’m the bad guy.

• Citizen on February 23, 2019, 9:53 am

RE: ” Apart from their positions on I-P, do they mug people, molest children, beat their spouses, put cigarettes out in their dogs’ eyes?”

There are forums that discuss each of these proclivities. Mondoweiss is not one of them. Did the average German fan of Hitler and his justifications for his policies and conduct do such things? Did Eichmann?

• amigo on February 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

Jrg.

Meantime ,have a nice Occpation.

• jrg on February 22, 2019, 8:51 pm

I’ll try to address all of my responders to date in this post.

JWWalters: If you really mean what you write about making distinctions yourself, great. However, of the other you named, echinococcus and amigo seem to reject it. I did not mean to equate Israeli Jews with most Jews; it’s just that when most contributors to MW write about Jews, they don’t distinguish among those from various countries.

echinococcus: “They do “mug people” and much worse, “molest children, beat” other peoples’ “spouses, put cigarettes out in” peoples eyes. Certainly.”

Is there a confirmed case of Israeli soldiers deliberately blinding Palestinian prisoners, whether by burning or otherwise? Or of their “molesting children?” I was referring in my most to sexual molestation?

“So you’re saying that there’s nothing unjust or immoral with people who are supremacists and who advocate evil against Jews as long as they do not mug people, molest children, beat their spouses or put cigarettes out in their dogs’ eyes.”

I am suggesting that it’s wrong to reduce an entire movement covering several generations to a one-dimensional demonic caricature. Native Americans were similarly massacred and displaced (and exposed to European diseases, an important difference), but are that and slavery the only important aspects of U.S. history? Amigo, you’re Irish. Is Britain’s eight centuries of skullduggery in your country all that’s important to know about English history?

eljay: “If you don’t have a problem with that, it’s because you’re a Zionist.” Not so. If I were, I wouldn’t be a regular reader of MW. All of you may be interested in knowing that I’m fresh from a lively donnybrook with my cousin, who is in fact of the Israel-right-or-wrong persuasion. Here is what he wrote me in his last email, in response to one I sent defending Ilhan Omar: “I must say that it was people like you that also gave Adolph a pass. If your remarks weren’t so scary I would say they were funny.” The exchange that arose from is available on request.

“I think it’s cute how in your Zionist mind I’m the bad guy.” I am not a Zionist and I never called you “the bad guy.” I’ve never met you and therefore have no idea what kind of guy you are.

amigo: “During Cast Lead .90 plus %of Israeli Jews supported that wholesale slaughter and many sat on deck chairs sipping wine and applauding every murderous explosion.”

Maybe they applauded every murderous explosion for the same reason that millions of Americans applauded the, er, operations of our military in Korea and Vietnam: Because they were misinformed and conditioned to believe that these actions were a legitimate defense against Palestinian rocket fire from Gaza, not understanding the latter’s desperation resulting from their government’s blockade and past strikes.

“As far as knowing Israeli Jews .suffice it to say , one does not have to dip ones toe in water to know it.s wet.”

We know water is wet from our very earliest direct experiences of feeling and tasting it in this world. I repeat: What have you seen or heard directly from Israeli Jews that would lead you to conclude that they are a bloodthirsty lot as a whole?

“If you find MW too painful to suffer (truth) then might I suggest you pop along to the J Post where you will find a more forgiving (of war crimes) clientel.”

The same cousin I mentioned earlier sent me a free and unsolicited subscription to the Times of Israel, to which MW is the counterweight, so I don’t need the J Post.

Your wish that I “have a nice occupation” is misplaced, since it’s not my occupation and not one that I support.

I regret that I couldn’t address ever comment, but this is hopefully a start.

• eljay on February 22, 2019, 10:27 pm

|| jrg: … I am suggesting that it’s wrong to reduce an entire movement covering several generations to a one-dimensional demonic caricature. … ||

Zionism isn’t the Red Cross or your local food bank. There’s nothing incorrect, misplaced or “one-dimensional demonic caricature” about referring to people as hateful and immoral who deliberately and unapologetically choose to support and/or do evil unto others.

|| … eljay: “If you don’t have a problem with that, it’s because you’re a Zionist.” Not so. If I were, I wouldn’t be a regular reader of MW. … ||

That is truly funny, seeing as how Zionists like wondering jew, DaBakr, hophmi, Mayhem, Jackdaw, jon s and Nathan (to name a few) regularly read MW and comment here.

|| … I am not a Zionist … ||

Sure. You just happen to be one of those non-Zionists who defends Zionism.

|| … I never called you “the bad guy.” … ||

I never said you did.

• Talkback on February 23, 2019, 8:18 am

jrg: “I am suggesting that it’s wrong to reduce an entire movement covering several generations to a one-dimensional demonic caricature.”

It’s not a “reduction”, but an ongoing description. Contrary to the US and Great Britian NOTHING has changed in all these years. We can debate if Israel has become less or even more “one-dimensional” and “demonic”.

jrg: “Maybe they applauded every murderous explosion [because] they were misinformed and conditioned to believe […] The same cousin I mentioned earlier sent me a free and unsolicited subscription to the Times of Israel, […]”

… and so the circle is complete.

• amigo on February 23, 2019, 10:12 am

“I did not mean to equate Israeli Jews with most Jews; it’s just that when most contributors to MW write about Jews, they don’t distinguish among those from various countries.”jrg

“Amigo, you’re Irish. Is Britain’s eight centuries of skullduggery in your country all that’s important to know about English history?”jrg

You seem to suggest that Israel has some positive history that would cleanse their negative history since it,s birth (through terrorism , see Hagannah/Stern Gang and Lehi ).

I suggest you do some research .Here are some points to start with.

Apartheid roads in Israel.

Nation State Law.

40 plus racist Laws –see Adalah.

Skunk Juice sprayed on Palestinian homes.

Illegal settlers destroying Palestinian crops ,ie Olive trees etc , as the IOF ,(Israeli Offensive forces ) stand idly by and in many cases arrest the victims.

Arresting and abusing Palestinian children and denying them legal assistance .

Shooting unarmed protesters by the dozens and injuring thousands,

Throwing hundreds of Palestinians out of their homes and replacing them with illegal squatters.

There, that should get you started so come back when you have done your research .

I,ll wait.

• eljay on February 23, 2019, 10:17 pm

|| jrg: eljay: “BTW, you didn’t answer my question: How do you “attempt any productive communication” with any group of people who insist on a right to be supremacists and to do evil unto others?” Most Zionists refuse to acknowledge that they’re supremacists; they claim that there needs to be a Jewish state as a haven from anti-Semitic persecution. We need to continually present the evidence that Palestinians have indeed been gravely victimized and that Jews in the Diaspora are safer and better off than in Israel. … ||

That’s it? Seriously? Both bits of “evidence” have already been written off even by “liberal Zionists” who have argued that…
        – the former was and is simply “necessary evil”; and
        – the latter is a temporary calm before the return of the inevitable Gentile storm of perpetual anti-Semitism.

Now that we know what “liberal Zionists” won’t take seriously, how do you propose to “attempt any productive communication” with the hard-core types, the ones who are actively doing evil – day in and day out – in geographic Palestine?

|| … Incidentally, your question has definite when-did-you-stop-beating-your-wife overtones. … ||

My question is extremely straightforward and contains no “overtones”. Stop being adversarial.

|| “| … I never called you “the bad guy.” … ||

I never said you did.” Actually you did say I did: “I think it’s cute how in your Zionist mind I’m the bad guy while the supremacists who choose to be, do and/or defend evil are the good guys.” ||

• eljay on February 24, 2019, 6:27 pm

|| jrg: … Eljay, I think you missed your calling. You should have been a writer for Monty Python. … ||

I don’t know why you insist on being adversarial. Appealing to my love of Python doesn’t alter the fact that I never said you called me “the bad guy”.

2. US Citizen on February 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Perfect – ‘democracy’ in action right? What a joke, it’s “Israeli democracy” or “Jewish democracy”, it sure isn’t American democracy. The only ‘democracy’ in the world to hear the words ‘ freedom of speech’ and feel existentially threatened yet again. The eventual destruction of Israel is in good hands. Outside help is not necessary.

3. Vera Gottlieb on February 20, 2019, 10:24 am

And one day israel, you will reap all the hatred you have sowed. And I will cheer.

• RoHa on February 20, 2019, 10:17 pm

If I am still alive* when that day comes, I will not cheer.

I will know that many of the perpetrators died without reaping their reward, and that some – perhaps not many, but some – of those who do reap the hatred were innocent parties, and their suffering is undeserved.

That is part of the tragedy of it all. The tragedy is made worse by the fact that none of it was necessary in the first place.

(*I have no intentions for any alternative, but sometimes circumstances overwhelm my plans.)

4. eljay on February 20, 2019, 11:06 am

Hard-core Zionists proudly sink further into evil. “Liberal Zionists” can’t stand the injustice and immorality anymore and abandon Zionism in favour of justice, equality and human rights “pinch their noses” a little more tightly.

5. Rashers2 on February 20, 2019, 11:37 am

Just maybe, sooner than you think….
    Yesterday, from Palestine Information Centre: https://english.palinfo.com/news/2019/2/19/Hamas-Israel-s-assaults-on-Aqsa-will-lead-to-popular-explosion Whether the “explosion” is confined to Palestinians in Israel, the OWB, OEJ and Gaza remains to be seen…. My conjectures on this are already recorded here. Why, now, this upsurge in gratuitous provocation centred on the Noble Sanctuary? Surely, it couldn’t be to do with the upcoming Israeli elections, could it??

6. Elizabeth Block on February 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

Of course it brutalizes them. How could it not? Check out the accounts by soldiers in “Breaking the Silence.”

Sometimes, in my “elevator” explanation of what’s going on, I tell people that Israeli Jews are only gaining – land and water – and not suffering from the Occupation. But that’s not entirely true. They are corrupting their whole society, starting with the soldiers.

And when Miko Peled was here a few years ago, on a book tour, I asked him, “People tell me that Israeli Jews don’t know what’s going on the Occupied Territories. How can they not know? They serve in the army. They see it. They do it.” He answered, “They know. They just think it’s OK.”

7. jrg on February 23, 2019, 7:59 pm

eljay: “BTW, you didn’t answer my question: How do you “attempt any productive communication” with any group of people who insist on a right to be supremacists and to do evil unto others?” Most Zionists refuse to acknowledge that they’re supremacists; they claim that there needs to be a Jewish state as a haven from anti-Semitic persecution. We need to continually present the evidence that Palestinians have indeed been gravely victimized and that Jews in the Diaspora are safer and better off than in Israel. Incidentally, your question has definite when-did-you-stop-beating-your-wife overtones.

“| … I never called you “the bad guy.” … ||

amigo:

“Firstly , I wrote , “Most Israeli Jews”.How is that not distinguishing Jews from different countries??.

If you set out here to misrepresent or put words in the mouths of others , nobody here will believe what you post and that includes the folks who read MW articles but don,t necessarily comment.”

The way you refer to non-Israeli Jews differs so little from the way you refer to Israeli ones that I can scarcely trace the distinction.

“Skullduggerry eh , is that what you call the colonialist oppression , and Murder on a grand scale not to mention the refusal to allow humanitarian aid to reach millions of starving people , all the while exporting grain and other foodstuffs from Ireland to mainland England .
    How,s about if I referred to the Holocaust as “Skullduggery.”.You might want to pick your words more carefully.”

I associate the word skullduggery with murder, theft and general wrongdoing, even if the formal dictionary definition depicts something less serious. I wouldn’t be offended by a characterization of the Holocaust as skullduggery, and I apologize if it offended you. The phrase “Nazi skullduggery” was fairly common at the time and since, though.

“Perhaps you can enlighten us as to positive English history prior to the 2nd world war.” Why stop there? If you find nothing positive about earlier English history, what changed then?

“You seem to suggest that Israel has some positive history that would cleanse their negative history since it,s birth.” Every country has some positive history, which of course doesn’t “cleanse” its misdeeds, but still has to be acknowledged as part of the overall truth. BTW, the Haganah opposed the terrorism of the Irgun, even if it benefitted from the latter. Most countries existing today came into existence through what would be considered terrorism, aggression or some other sort of violence which they later glorify.

Regarding your research suggestions, I won’t keep you in suspense. I’m aware of everything you listed (except the part about skunk juice, which I wouldn’t put in the same category as killing and injuring protesters and children, and I know that those events are inadequately reported and addressed in the U.S. and maybe in Europe. That’s why I read MW and similar sites and present the information to people like my cousin and others who think like him. There are, however, other aspects to the story, such as the mass dispossession, expulsion and murder of Sephardic Jews from Arab countries during the late 1940s and early to mid 50s, at about the same historical moment as the Naqba, which was not only brutal and criminally unjust but stupid, since it strengthened Israel during its critical formative years by adding about 550,000 people to its population who arrived there in no mood to appreciate the wrongs being done to the Palestinians, have just experience very similar traumas themselves.

8. jrg on February 24, 2019, 3:57 pm

eljay: “I inferred from your adversarial comments that you think I’m the bad guy, so I implied that you think I’m the bad guy but actually I did not say that you called me “the bad guy”.

Eljay, I think you missed your calling. You should have been a writer for Monty Python. This 45-year-old clip anticipates your response above: