Tlaib refuses to ‘bow down to oppressive & racist policies,’ cancels Palestine trip over Israeli conditions

News

US Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib was told by Israel today that she could enter the West Bank for a humanitarian visit to her family so long as she agreed in writing not to “promote boycotts against Israel” on the trip.

Following the Israeli government’s decision to bar her congressional delegation with Rep. Ilhan Omar over their suport for the BDS movement, Tlaib had requested to enter Israel to visit her grandmother. In the request she wrote, “I will respect any restrictions and will not promote boycotts against Israel during my visit.”

But now Tlaib has refused the offer, saying it is “humiliating” and a reflection of “oppressive & racist policies.” She put out three tweets this morning explaining why, citing her sity, grandmother. The tweets also refer to her original plan, to visit Palestine with Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota.

“My sity wanted to pick figs w/ me. I broke down reading this & worry every single day after I won for my family’s safety. My cousin was texting me which photo of @IlhanMN & I they should put on a welcoming poster when I heard the news [that Israel is barring her]. I couldn’t tell her.

“When I won [in 2018], it gave the Palestinian people hope that someone will finally speak the truth about the inhumane conditions. I can’t allow the State of Israel to take away that light by humiliating me & use my love for my sity to bow down to their oppressive & racist policies.

“Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she wants for me. It would kill a piece of me. I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in–fighting against racism, oppression & injustice.”

Tlaib’s office then released the following statement:

“In my attempt to visit Palestine, I’ve experienced the same racist treatment that many Palestinian-Americans endure when encountering the Israeli government. In preparation for my visit, my grandmother was deciding which fig tree we would pick from together, while Palestinians and Israelis who are against the illegal military occupation were looking forward to Members of Congress finally listening to and seeing them for the first time. The Israeli government used my love and desire to see my grandmother to silence me and made my ability to do so contingent upon my signing a letter – reflecting just how undemocratic and afraid they are of the truth my trip would reveal about what is happening in the State of Israel and to Palestinians living under occupation with United States support.

“I have therefore decided to not travel to Palestine and Israel at this time. Visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions meant to humiliate me would break my grandmother’s heart. Silencing me with treatment to make me feel less-than is not what she wants for me – it would kill a piece of me that always stands up against racism and injustice.

“When I won the election to become a United States Congresswoman, many Palestinians, especially my grandmother, felt a sense of hope, a hope that they would finally have a voice. I cannot allow the Israeli government to take that away from them or to use my deep desire to see my grandmother, potentially for the last time, as a political bargaining chip. My family and I have cried together throughout this ordeal; they’ve promised to keep my grandmother alive until I can one day reunite with her. It is with their strength and heart that I reiterate I am a duly elected United States Congresswoman and I will not allow the Israeli government to humiliate me and my family or take away our right to speak out. I will not allow the Israeli government to take away our hope.

“Racism and the politics of hate is thriving in Israel and the American people should fear what this will mean for the relationship between our two nations. If you truly believe in democracy, then the close alignment of Netanyahu with Trump’s hate agenda must prompt a re-evaluation of our unwavering support for the State of Israel. The denial of entry of a congressional delegation is not only about Congresswoman Omar and I, but also about the deep-rooted racism within Israel that is taking us further away from peace. The Israeli and Palestinian people need us to be more courageous and to be honest brokers of peace. Being silent and not condemning the human rights violations of the Israeli government is a disservice to all who live there, including my incredibly strong and loving grandmother.

“This type of oppression is painful for all humanity, but it is especially painful for me personally every time I hear my loving family members cry out for the freedom to live and the right to feel human.”

Mondoweiss Editors

1. Boomer on August 16, 2019, 12:03 pm

As I scan the US media reports this morning, via Google News and Apple News, I’m struck by how most MSM reports obfuscate the reason she refused. They make her appear petulant, irrational, feckless. No problem with Israel, just her. Of course, diligent readers can eventually figure it out if they try, but I doubt many will do so.

• Citizen on August 17, 2019, 6:10 am

They also constantly note the two women are widely viewed as anti-semitic–never telling the US public this is actually a disputed labeling.

• Boomer on August 17, 2019, 12:02 pm

re: “never telling the US public this is actually a disputed labeling”

Much less saying that it is wrong. Sadly, that is the general rule. In fairness, however, there are the rare exceptions. Last night, on “Washington Week,” Andrea Mitchell (normally pro-Israel), defended Tlaib and Omar against Trump’s allegation that “they hate Israel.” She observed that they hadn’t said anything like that.

She was more forthright than is customary on MSM about other facets of Trump as well, such as his lack of understanding of relevant economics. Her comments carried more weight, I thought, precisely because they transcended the usual self-imposed limits on our MSM. I infer that the extremity of problems Trump is causing prompted this outbreak of candor.

• Emet on August 19, 2019, 2:48 am

Did the US media tell you that Tlaib has not seen her grandmother since 2006? Suddenly it’s so urgent . Apparently the grandmother had very little to do with the trip anyway. It’s like saying “Whilst in NY, I might as well see the Statue of Liberty.”

2. RobertHenryEller on August 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Do the math..

The state of Israel was founded in 1948. 71 years ago.

Rashida Tlaib’s grandmother is 90. She was born in Palestine. 19 years before there was an Israel. Rashida Tlaib’s grandmother never left Palestine.

So how did a 19 year old Palestinian woman who has never left the country of her birth suddenly find herself in a state that doesn’t recognize her citizenship or her rights, her human rights? As if she wasn’t born where she still is?

Oh, that’s right. The Zionists simply took it, violently (No the Arabs didn’t try to drive out the Jews in ’48, or in ’67. Those myths are as true as Trump’s own stories.). And now, we have the Israelis outraged that anyone would promote the BDS movement, to try to re-gain Rashida Tlaib’s grandmother her citizenship rights, her human rights. Why? Because the Israelis claim that the supporters of BDS want to delegitimize the Jew’s “rights to their own land,” to deny the Jew’s “right to their own existence.”

But the current BDS movement only hopes to re-establish Palestinian civil and human rights within Israel and the occupied territories, not to drive out the Jews.

The “BDS movement” intent on driving a people off of their land, and out of existence? THAT “BDS movement” has been Zionism. THAT “BDS movement” has been Israel.

So, the truth? Some people’s BDS movements are apparently more legitimate than other people’s BDS movements.

• Emet on August 16, 2019, 5:16 pm

Tlaib’s grandmother was never a Palestinian. She was an Arab, living in the area called Palestine that was never controlled by “Palestinians”. The political movement that was established in 1964 began the process for the movement today that is confusing many, including RobertHenryEller. The Jews have more claim to being called “Palestinians” that the Arabs do. After the Jewish rebellion again Rome and the Romans destroyed and killed, they changed the name of the area that contained mostly Jews. Islam was only introduced to the world about 700 years later. Laib’s grandmother and her ancestors, do not want to accept any history that has the Jews living once again in their historic homeland. Enough with the false stories already.

• eljay on August 16, 2019, 6:53 pm

|| Emet: Tlaib’s grandmother was never a Palestinian. She was an Arab, living in the area called Palestine … ||

You seem to comprehend that Ms. Tlaib’s grandmother’s actual homeland is geographic Palestine. There’s hope for you yet.

|| … Laib’s grandmother and her ancestors, do not want to accept any history that has the Jews living once again in their historic homeland. … ||

So much for that hope.  :-(

It is the actual homeland of Ms. Tlaib and of her grandmother.

It is not the actual (or ancient, historic, one true or lost) homeland of all the people in the world – of citizens of homelands all over the world – who have chosen to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish.

|| … Enough with the false stories already. ||

Yes, you Zionists really do need to stop.

• Mooser on August 16, 2019, 7:00 pm

“Enough with the false stories already.”

“Emet”, do you think the Mondo Mods manipulate the comment threads by only allowing “pro-Israel” comments which are idiotic and/or bigoted? Sure looks like it.

• James North on August 16, 2019, 7:04 pm

Mooser: You’ve been busy! Not content to set your ludicrous and hapless sock puppet “Steve Grover” among us, you created a darker provocative masterpiece: one “Emet!” Brilliant, but you went too far. No real person could have made such an insensitive comment about Rashida Tlaib’s 90-year-old grandmother, who the Congresswoman may never see again in person because of her age.

• Mooser on August 16, 2019, 7:32 pm

James, I swear, “Steve Grover” is my only parody-Zionist sock-puppet. (And not a very good one, compared to “Emet”.)

Why can’t the Mods see through these parody-Zionist comments. You realized right away “Emet” was a parody of Zionist ignorance, and false entitlement, not a real person. Why can’t the Mods? Surely they must be able to see the difference.

• RoHa on August 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Mooser, the mods lit these comments through because they are concerned for out well-being. The Zionists try to shove so much rubbish down our throats that we need an emetic now and again.

• RoHa on August 16, 2019, 8:05 pm

‘ the area called Palestine that was never controlled by “Palestinians”.’

Zionists are fond of saying this sort of thing. They never say why it matters.

They misplace commas, too.

• JWalters on August 16, 2019, 9:41 pm

Life is actually not your Hollywood production.

• Bumblebye on August 16, 2019, 9:52 pm

emet (ant in various english dialects):
        Palestine was a state up until 1948, when the zionists broke it and stole it. Under Furst Class Mandate, it was a ‘state-in-waiting’. Rashida Tlaib’s grandmother was born during that time and had Palestinian nationality automatically. Zionists stole that from her too.

• Sibiriak on August 17, 2019, 2:13 am

eljay: Geographic Palestine is the actual homeland of people living in or up to n-generations removed from the region.
        ——————————————————-

Who determined the boundaries of this “geographic Palestine”? What are they? Why are they “geographic”, not political?

How many generations are “n-generations”?

Just trying to understand your terminology.

• Talkback on August 17, 2019, 6:33 am

Emet: “Tlaib’s grandmother was never a Palestinian.”

Contrary to colonists or illegal immigrants like you and probably your ancestors, too, Tlaib’s grandmother has been a citizens of Palestine before 1948.

Contrary to “Jews” the term “Palestinian” refers to a constitutive people and a state nation (since 1948). Nobody can become “Jewish” by acquiring any citizenship which makes a “Jewish state” a racist entity. And nobody can be or become “Palestinian” simply by being Jewish no matter how much you need to twist history.

That fact that you think that it is relevant that Palestinians never controlled Palestine just demonstrates your colonial and occupier mindset and that you don’t have the slightest problem with the fact that the rights of Palestinians have been violated for about about a century by racist Zionists or on their behalf.

You will never be able to prove that you or your ancestors are descedants of ancient Hebrews and Tlaib and her ancestors aren’t. And you will never be able to make a rational case why Jews who colonized Palestine since the 1920 have more rights to live there then its indigenous Nonjewish population.

The real irony is that you call yourself “Emet” while spreadig your dishonest idiocies. I highly doubt that you are even able to understand the concept of truth.

• MHughes976 on August 17, 2019, 8:41 am

People who are Jewish may claim to be to some decree Palestinians by descent but they have no exclusive claim to that description. There was always a non-Jewish population there before, during and after the Israelite monarchies, for most of the time, most by far, the majority. And they too have descendants in many places.

• eljay on August 17, 2019, 8:57 am

|| Sibiriak: … Who determined the boundaries of this “geographic Palestine”? What are they? … ||

As far as I can tell, the I-P issue revolves around Partition-borders Israel, Palestine and FCoJ. Accordingly, it has been and continues to be my determination that geographic Palestine comprises all three.

|| … Why are they “geographic”, not political? … ||

Being I’m speaking geographically.

|| … How many generations are “n-generations”? … ||

They are whatever a sovereign nation says they are.

|| … Just trying to understand your terminology. ||

Thanks for asking.  :-)

• eljay on August 17, 2019, 9:48 am

|| eljay: … Being I’m speaking geographically. … ||

Correction: … Because I’m speaking geographically. …

• Misterioso on August 17, 2019, 10:08 am

@Emet

Sigh. More Zionist bull crap. I’m surprised you did not trot out the long since debunked nonsense spewed forth by Joan Peters in her mountain of falsehoods, From Time Immemorial.

Reality:
        The Jebusite/Canaanites were ancestors of today’s Palestinians** and it was they who founded Jerusalem circa 3000 BCE. Originally known as Jebus, the first recorded reference to it as “Rushalimum” or “Urussalim,” site of the sacred Foundation Rock, appears in Egyptian Execration Texts of the nineteenth century BCE, nearly 800 years before it is alleged King David was born. Its name “seems to have incorporated the name of the Syrian god Shalem [the Canaanite God of Dusk], who was identified with the setting sun or the evening star…and] can probably be translated as ‘Shalem has founded’.” (Karen Armstrong, Jerusalem, One City, Three Faiths; Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1996, pp. 6-7)

It is estimated that the Hebrews did not invade until circa 1184 BCE and their resulting United Kingdom of Israel, which never controlled the coast from Jaffa to Gaza, lasted only about 75–80 years, i.e., less than a blip in the history of Canaan and Palestine. Even the Hasmonean Dynasty under the Maccabees lasted only about 70 years (circa 140 – 70 BCE) and it was under Roman tutelage.

BTW, no credible archaeological evidence, or more importantly, writings of contemporaneous civilizations, have been found that prove Solomon or David actually existed. (Nor has any evidence been discovered to confirm that the Jewish exodus from Egypt ever occurred. )

The region between the Jordan River and the Med. Sea was referred to as “Palestine” by the Greek historian Herodotus during the 5th century BCE.

100 years later, in the mid-4th Century BCE, Aristotle referred to “Palestine” while discussing the Dead Sea in his Meteorology. “Again if, as is fabled, there is a lake in Palestine….”

Jewish historian Josephus’s (c.37-100 CE) The Jewish War, Antiquities of the Jews contains many references to both “Palestine” and “Palestinians.”

Contemporaries of Jesus also routinely referred to Palestine as “Palestine.” In the first decade of the 1st Century, the Roman poet Ovid mentioned Palestine in both his famed mythological poem “Metamorphoses” and his erotic elegy “The Art of Love.” He also wrote of “the waters of Palestine” in his calendrical poem “Fasti.” Around the same time, Tibullus, another Latin poet, wrote of “the crowded cities of Palestine” in the section “Messalla’s Triumph” in his poem “Delia.”

The Zionist claim that the Roman emperor Hadrian officially changed the name of the region to “Syria Palaestina” or simply “Palestine,” in 135 CE is contradicted by the fact that by then, the terms “Syrian Palestine” and “Palestine” had already been in use for over 600 years.

To quote the opening sentence of the section entitled “Filastin” that appears in the book “Dictionary of the Lands,” written by geographer Yaqut ibn Abdullah al-Hamawi in 1225: “Filastin [no “P” in Arabic]: It is the last one of the regions of Syria in the direction of Egypt. Its most famous cities are Ashkelon, Ramle, Gaza, Arsuf, Caesaria, Nablus, Jericho, Jaffa and Beit Guvrin.”

By about 1300 CE there were virtually no Jews in Palestine, which was a recognized geographical concept using coinage with “Filistin” written on them. There were diaries of Palestinian travelers who said they missed “Palestine” and a distinctive Palestinian dialect of Arabic had evolved. From 1300 on, the vast majority of people who lived in Palestine were Christians and Muslims.

In 1603, Shakespeare wrote in his play Othello: “Emilia: I know a lady in Venice would have walked barefoot to Palestine for a touch of his nether lip.” (Act IV, Scene iii.)

In 1863, The Religious Tract Society of London published its “Pictorial Journey Through the Holy Land; or Scenes of Palestine.” In this work Beersheba is described as the southern limit of Palestine. “Beersheba lies south-east of Gaza on the northern edge of the Negev desert.’ Palestine is described as “south of Lebanon.”

European tourist books of the nineteenth century refer to “Palestine,” as did Theodor Herzl in his correspondence and the 1917 Balfour Declaration as well as the 1922 Class A League of Nations British Mandate.

Renowned historian/anthropologist and “Holy Land” specialist, Professor Ilene Beatty: “When we speak of ‘Palestinians’ or of the ‘Arab population [of Palestine]‘, we must bear in mind their Canaanite origin. This is important because their legal right to the country stems… from the fact that the Canaanites were first, which gives them priority; their descendants have continued to live there, which gives them continuity; and (except for the 800,000 dispossessed refugees [of 1948 along with the further hundreds of thousands expelled before and after the war Israel launched on 5 June 1967]) they are still living there, which gives them present possession. Thus we see that on purely statistical grounds they have a proven legal right to their own land.” (“Arab and Jew in the Land of Canaan,” 1957)

To quote Polish born David Ben-Gurion (real name, David Gruen): “‘race’ does not unite Jewry since the ancient people dissipated after so much dispersion.” (Philippe de Saint Robert, Le Jeu de la France en Mediteranee, 1970, p.182)

** “The Racist Gene” Haaretz, June 21, 2017: EXCERPT: “In 2013, the results were published of a study by the prominent British geneticist Martin Richards, who specializes in researching the maternal genome, which passes from the mother to all of her descendants. Richards researched the maternal genetic ancestry of Ashkenazi Jews. And lo and behold, he discovered that 80 percent or more (!) of the maternal genetic makeup of Ashkenazi Jews derives from European women – goys, heaven forbid. Gevalt! Devoid of any gene originating in the Land of Israel.”

Also:
        Front. Genet., 21 June 2017 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2017.00087
        “The Origins of Ashkenaz, Ashkenazic Jews, and Yiddish”
        “Recent genetic samples from bones found in Palestine dating to the Epipaleolithic (20000-10500 BCE) showed remarkable resemblance to modern day Palestinians.”
        EXCERPTS:
        “The non-Levantine origin of AJs [Ashkenazi Jews] is further supported by an ancient DNA analysis of six Natufians and a Levantine Neolithic (Lazaridis et al., 2016), some of the most likely Judaean progenitors (Finkelstein and Silberman, 2002; Frendo, 2004). In a principle component analysis (PCA), the ancient Levantines clustered predominantly with modern-day Palestinians and Bedouins and marginally overlapped with Arabian Jews, whereas AJs clustered away from Levantine individuals and adjacent to Neolithic Anatolians and Late Neolithic and Bronze Age Europeans.”

“Overall, the combined results are in a strong agreement with the predictions of the Irano-Turko-Slavic hypothesis (Table 1) and rule out an ancient Levantine origin for AJs, which is predominant among modern-day Levantine populations (e.g., Bedouins and Palestinians). This is not surprising since Jews differed in cultural practices and norms (Sand, 2011) and tended to adopt local customs (Falk, 2006). Very little Palestinian Jewish culture survived outside of Palestine (Sand, 2009). For example, the folklore and folkways of the Jews in northern Europe is distinctly pre-Christian German (Patai, 1983) and Slavic in origin, which disappeared among the latter (Wexler, 1993, 2012).”

• Mooser on August 17, 2019, 12:32 pm

“You will never be able to prove that you or your ancestors are descedants of ancient Hebrews”

Sorry, but modren genetics makes it very easy to prove. If you look at a Jewish person’s genes, they are all arranged in six-sided structures, just like a Star-of-David.

• Emet on August 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

If you were born in Palestine prior to 1915 and wanted to travel, you turned to your Ottoman landlords and received travel papers from them. You never received a “Palestinian passport” because there was never a state called Palestine.
        If you were born in Mandated Palestine and wanted to travel, you turned to your English “guardians” and received a British passport. You never received a “Palestinian passport” because there was never a state called Palestine.
        No matter how many times you try to invent Palestinian Arab history, you will always come up against the truth. The Arabs in Palestine always viewed themselves as being part of the Arab world, either Sunni or Shi’ite and had no national aspirations in the area called Palestine prior to 1964.

• eljay on August 17, 2019, 7:33 pm

|| Emet: … No matter how many times you try to invent Palestinian Arab history, you will always come up against the truth. … ||

No matter how many times you try to promote the manufactured myth that geographic Palestine is some sort of eternal / ancient / historic / one true / lost homeland to every person in the world – every citizen in and of every homeland throughout the world – who has chosen to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish, you will always come up against the truth and the indisputable fact that geographic Palestine is the actual homeland of all people living in or up to n-generations removed from the region.

You really should heed your own words: “Enough with the false stories already.”

• RoHa on August 17, 2019, 7:59 pm

“If you … 1964.”

Even if all this is true, why does it matter? The Arabs of the area were living in their own homes, running their businesses, farming the land, and exporting the splendid oranges they had bred. A bunch of foreigners invaded, drove them out, stole their lands, houses, and goods, and set up an apartheid state in the territory.

This was wrong. It was wrong regardless of how the Arabs viewed themselves, and regardless of their “national aspirations” or lack thereof.

• Emet on August 18, 2019, 6:02 am

Roha: Why does it matter? It matters because even when Jews started returning home in small numbers, the local Arab population turned to the Ottoman’s to prevent this from happening. They carried out violent attacks all the time and were not interested in sharing. This holds true during the Mandate as well. If peace will happen it will only do so when true sharing comes about. And that’s where you should be placing all your efforts instead selling lies and pushing Palestinian Arabs further up the tree. Let us hear you call on Muslims to support Jews praying on the Temple Mount? When this happens we will know that peace has somewhat of a chance, and not a second before.

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 6:24 am

Well Emet, if you or your ancestors were natives of Palestine you would know the following.

In 1925 a nationality law was enacted in Palestine.

But this won’t stop you from lying.

It proves that Palestine was a state, though under mandate and that Palestinians are a nation which was also the position of the Pemanent Mandate Comission.

“Palestine, as the mandate clearly showed, was a subject under international law. While she could not conclude international conventions, the mandatory Power, until further notice, concluded them on her behalf, in virtue of Article 19 of the mandate. The mandate, in Article 7, obliged the Mandatory to enact a nationality law, which again showed that the Palestinians formed a nation, and that Palestine was a State, though provisionally under guardianship. It was, moreover, unnecessary to labour the point;”

But this won’t stop you from lying.

There is a lot of information which proves that Palestine was one of the successor states of the Ottoman Empires and that all territories which were detached from Turkeyand under a Class-A-Mandate were states:

“The Treaty of Lausanne required the newly created states that acquired the territory to pay annuities on the Ottoman public debt, and to assume responsibility for the administration of concessions that had been granted by the Ottomans. A dispute regarding the status of the territories was settled by an Arbitrator appointed by the Council of the League of Nations. It was decided that Palestine and Transjordan were newly created states according to the terms of the applicable post-war treaties. In its Judgment No. 5, The Mavrommatis Palestine Concessions, the Permanent Court of International Justice also decided that Palestine was responsible as the successor state for concessions granted by Ottoman authorities. The Courts of Palestine and Great Britain decided that title to the properties shown on the Ottoman Civil list had been ceded to the government of Palestine as an allied successor state.”

But this won’t stop you from lying.

All citizens of Palestine had an ID-Card issued by the Goverment of Palestine which shows that there were not British subjects and therefore couldn’t receive a British Passport as you falsey claim:

But this won’t stop you from lying.

Instead they were British protected persons, because the mandatory didn’t establish Palestinian Embassies or Consulates abroad but simply allowed Palestinian citizens to use its own. Therefore Palestinians received a “Mandatory Palestine Passport”:

But this won’t stop you from lying.

And the only history or national identity that was invented was that there had been an exile of Jews (which “return” to their homeland) and that of your pseudo Jewish “nation” which is based on ethnicity/religion and is nothing more than what has been called a “nationality WITHIN citizenship”. Contrary to the Palestinian nation which is a real nation and a constitutive people because its based on citizenship which is the standard for all states that are not ruled by Apartheid or Nazism. Israel can’t even provide a constitutionally enshrined definition of who counts as a Jew and who doesn’t. So much for the fake Jewish “nation”.

But this won’t stop you from lying either. I can hardly remember any of your comments which is not full of lies.

• RoHa on August 18, 2019, 9:34 am

Emet, the Palestinians resisted having their land taken from them, so they asked the authorities to support them. This was the sensible thing to do whether they had “national aspirations” or not. It was the sensible thing to do regardless of whether there was a state called “Palestine” or not.

So why do you think it matters whether they had “national aspirations ” and so forth?

• RoHa on August 18, 2019, 9:48 am

As for sharing the land, what obligation did the people of the land have to share the land with any immigrants, let alone immigrants who planned to take the land away from them?

But when they saw that the authorities would not protect them from the immigrants, and crushed their resistance, they decided sharing was the best option.

All the proposals for a single secular state that the Palestinians have put forward, both befor and after 1948, show readiness to share in the joint-use sense of “share”.

The Zionists rejected those proposals.

The two-state proposals that Palestinians put forward show readiness to share in the division sense of “share”

The Zionists reject those proposals.

It is the Zionists who refuse to share.

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 3:40 pm

Emet: “If peace will happen it will only do so when true sharing comes about.”

So let us hear you call for a one state solution and the return for Palestinian refugees.

Emet: “Let us hear you call on Muslims to support Jews praying on the Temple Mount?”

Why not?! The Al Aqsa Mosque is actually the third temple and was co-designed by a Jew. But you do know that this is actually forbidden in accordance with a halakhic prohibition against temei ha’met, don’t you?

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 3:39 pm

Emet: “If peace will happen it will only do so when true sharing comes about.”

3. pabelmont on August 16, 2019, 1:01 pm

Thanks, Rep Tlaib. Apart from the personal aspects for you of Israel’s restriction, which seems par for the course in Israel, it is unseemly that a visit by Congresspersons to Israel — which the [government of the] USA supports so generously — should be attended by restrictions of any sort. I rather imagine that Israel made no restrictions on visits by other American politicians.

4. mondonut on August 16, 2019, 7:33 pm

Tlaib: Can I visit? I promise to not promote boycotts.

Israel: Sure, OK.

Tlaib: Racists! Humiliation!

• Talkback on August 17, 2019, 6:39 am

Tlaib: Can I visit my Palestinian grandmother?

Israel: No, we are a racist, injust and oppressive state by law and can’t stand that you call for equality, justice and freedom.

• Jackdaw on August 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Seems oxymoronic.

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 6:29 am

Well imagine the Zionist sh**storm if an US congress member had openly declared that s/he was only interested in visiting Palestine. That’s not the way to bend the knee and lick Zionist boots.

• Jackdaw on August 18, 2019, 1:05 pm

@talk drivel

“Well imagine the Zionist sh**storm if an US congress member had openly declared that s/he was only interested in visiting Palestine”

Actually, if you were up on your current events, you’d know that five congressmen had already taken the same trip to the West Bank as Omar and Tlaib, and there was no zionist shit storm.

Nobody cared because the five congressmen were not supporting the BDS movement and running up against Israeli law.

When’s Hostage coming back?
        I’m so tired of the JV league.

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 3:17 pm

@ Infantile Zionist

They were not muslim.

• Mooser on August 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

“When’s Hostage coming back?
        I’m so tired of the JV league.”

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 4:58 pm

Mooser: “I think your comments here, “Jackdaw”, have helped even more people make up their minds about Zionism.”

The best way to delegitimize Zionism is by giving Zionists a state, a platform or both.

• Jackdaw on August 18, 2019, 5:35 pm

@looser

The last thing in the world I’m going to do is waste my time trying to win over and influence Kool aid drunks, or floaters caught up in the I/P vortex.

I do take a great deal of satisfaction exposing hypocrites and haters.

• Jackdaw on August 18, 2019, 7:24 pm

@balktalk

They were Muslims a month ago when Israel agreed to let them in.

• DaBakr on August 19, 2019, 5:10 am

Oh Jeezus h. Roosevelt christ! The whole trip by Omar and tlaib was set up to be a propaganda win the whole time. And the Israelis were just as complicit. It couldnt end in a stalemate with tlaib visiting her softa with ‘benevolent’ Israeli permission any more then Israel wasnt letting the two travel unescorted while pushing BDS. I have no idea if anybody scored ANY points in this whole incident.

• Mooser on August 19, 2019, 2:21 pm

“I do take a great deal of satisfaction exposing hypocrites and haters.”

And you don’t think you appear at all demented, or like you are suffering from reduced cognition, serious character issues, malicious fantasy, etc?

5. JWalters on August 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Congresswomen Tlaib and Omar are true Americans and patriots. They deeply understand the ideals of America, and have the courage to defend them.

6. Jackdaw on August 17, 2019, 11:06 am

“No the Arabs didn’t try to drive out the Jews in ’48, or in ’67.”

On what do you base this claim?

Have you perused the archives of the Arab States, or the war plans of the invading armies of the Arab States?

*Course not*

• Talkback on August 18, 2019, 6:49 am

Well Jackdaw, how about you proving the claim that they did try? I know that you are a Zionist, but please try to understand the principle of in dubio pro reo even if it’s not generally applied to Nonjews in your beloved Apartheid entity.

7. Vera Gottlieb on August 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Good on her!!! We need many more people with the courage to stand up to israel.

8. Ossinev on August 18, 2019, 7:29 am

@Jackdaw
    “I think the greater question is, ‘How do you visit a country and boycott it at the same time?’ ”

I don`t think either of them are interested in boycotting Palestine.

“Seems oxymoronic”

Yup the world is full of poxy morons. I can think of one amazing orange featured example in particular. Friend of yours?

• CHUCKMAN on August 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Your comment makes absolutely no logical sense.

And shabby language to boot.

• Jackdaw on August 19, 2019, 2:48 am

Oh….you again?

“No genius. I would be his younger brother, and the younger brother is not an agent for Israel.”

“I know all those Arab names can be a little confusing, but try reading a little more carefully.”

Remember this from last week?

JV squad.

9. CHUCKMAN on August 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Rashida Tlaib is one brave, tough, and honest person.

Oh, if we only had a few dozen more like her in American politics.

But, no, what the world sees from Washington resembles a fat flock of sheep just contentedly chewing and belching

Washington ignores terrible problems of rights and freedom and abuse and human oppression that it has helped to create.

I admire what she is doing unconditionally.

And she brought even more attention to her matter by first getting permission of the arrogant Israeli government to go and then refusing to exercise it as a matter of principle.

Readers might enjoy this recent related posting;