No Responses Yet

1. Avi
    June 2, 2010, 1:55 pm

Regarding the bullet proof vests, they don’t seem to be bullet proof as the fabric doesn’t show any texture/shape of armor plates, unless these are Kevlar.

Either way, if I were to go to an area that is under the constant watchful eye of the Israeli army, as most of the occupied West Bank and certainly Gaza are, not only would I take a bullet proof jacket, I would buy a brand new (not surplus) helmet. The targeting of innocent journalists of all nationalities, races and colors by the Israeli army prove that one can never be too careful.

Now, even if these photos were not fakes, that alleged night vision equipment is Gen I, the same stuff you can buy at the Sharper Image. You might as well be carrying a Sony camcorder that has the Nighshot feature as that is far more capable than a Gen I scope.

So, they had binoculars, big deal. I carry a pair of binoculars every time I go out hiking. Plus, as everyone who grew up in Israel and/or in the Middle East knows, the lack of open borders ala Europe and North America, tends to raise people’s curiosities. I always carried binoculars with me when traveling to the Dead Sea (to see the Jordanian side – prior to the peace treaty), or to the Golan Heights to see into Syrian territory or to the village of Ghajar, for example, to look at Lebanon across the border. It’s a basic human trait, curiosity.

• eGuard
      June 2, 2010, 4:19 pm

Good analysis, Avi. But still then, why would they publish this so obviously nonsensical? Cleary, one thing I can think of, is PR: first impression = the only important impression.

When they release all these people, the story will come out anyway. And they still have to say something on the bodies.

All of the real evidence is now taken & controlled by the IDF. Good Hillary asked for an investigation of Israel by Israel. That will clear things up.

• Chu
      June 2, 2010, 5:26 pm

The boat could have whatever they wanted on board. If they had a wall of AK-47′s that was their right. IDF had no right being in international waters. I would have grabbed a flame thrower if it were available.
      Those people didn’t know what the IDF would do, attacking at night and all, so it’s better to be prepared (in international waters) and fight these pirates to their death. The map you posted is clear, they were out of their jurisdiction. They’re completely crazy, as are these Zio-losers that we here like Goldberg defending them.

• Psychopathic god
      June 2, 2010, 5:51 pm

“The alleged electric saw is actually a grinder. What I don’t see on the disc itself is the usual friction and wear and tear marks that metal leaves when cut with such a grinder.”

saw, grinder, whatever.

It runs by electric cord.

“Pardon me, Mr. IDF sir; please step a bit closer; the cord won’t reach and I intend to grind the muzzle of your paint ball gun.”

• Aref
      June 2, 2010, 10:54 pm

One note regarding the vests. The symbol on them is that of the Red Crescent and so are obviously destined to the Red Crescent or emergency medics who have to enter “combat” areas and be exposed to fire: a perfectly legitimate use of a bullet proof vest.

2. Cliff
    June 2, 2010, 1:59 pm

I really doubt it Phil. Couldn’t it simply be that the cameras weren’t set to the current calender?

• Colin Murray
      June 2, 2010, 2:11 pm

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. They would either be at the current date, if properly set, or they would be at the default setting that the camera was assigned during manufacture, plus any time since the batteries the time since it was first powered up. Maybe changing batteries requires resetting the date stamp. However, if that is the case it should still be trivial to find out if the embedded date stamps are consistent with an improperly set camera, e.g. if the default date stamp is set at 1950, by finding out what camera was used.

• Avi
        June 2, 2010, 3:56 pm

Usually, digital cameras have two batteries, the first is the rechargeable replaceable one with which we are all familiar, the second is a small penny-sized battery inside the camera that serves as a backup power source for such settings as date, time, camera display settings and so forth.

• Colin Murray
        June 2, 2010, 4:02 pm

So the date-stamps in the IDF images are either accurate, if the time was set correctly when the camera was purchased, or should represent time elapsed from the default date-stamp the camera came with?

• Avi
        June 2, 2010, 4:09 pm

In a word, Yes.

I can’t make any promises, but let me see if I can find out the make and model of the camera from the embedded metadata. The photos might have embedded GPS information, too.

• eGuard
        June 2, 2010, 4:27 pm

A commenter in the link identifies a “Nikon D2Xs” (but if the date-thing is relevant, more cameras would be involved, possibly of a different type). Anyway, I think it’s hilarious too.

• Avi
        June 2, 2010, 6:55 pm

Colin,

For some strange reason my computer wouldn’t launch the software that I intended to use. So, it took some time to troubleshoot.

Anyway, I downloaded the image files from that flickr account that the Israeli MFA is using and I’m getting nothing. That is to say that the images have been scrubbed clean of all EXIF data, not even a date.

Can anyone else confirm this? I just want to make sure it’s not my machine that’s the source of the problem.

• eGuard
        June 2, 2010, 4:10 pm

I don’t get you completely, Colin, but I might add this. If there is a series of 2006-pics, they might have been taken by the same (wrong set date&time) camera.
        All from the the linked site, three pics:
        2006-02-07 04:49:57
        2006-02-07 05:20:56 (i.e.+31 mins)
        2006-02-07 05:52:19 (i.e. + 32 mins)
        It does say a little, except — but this for sure!, that their PR-machine is not very savvy in this.

And that is by the photo-company that does the composition pics (You now: adding a flag, tearing boxes, also taking roses in the background, the keffieh I found makes great composition, didn’t we find a wrench on the ship, machine-room? – that’s prepared attack).

• Diane Mason
        June 2, 2010, 6:20 pm

“Those alleged ‘roses’ in the background are in fact poppies that were being smuggled into Gaza by cunning Turkish jihadis. Hamas was going to process them into drugs that they would flood Israel with, so that they could tunnel into the Only Democracy In The Middle East© and Drive The Jews Into The Sea© while The Most Moral Army In The World© would be too high to stop them.”

– Mark Regev.

• Aref
        June 2, 2010, 11:02 pm

Changing batteries does not require readjusting the time. what I find curious is the fact that someone here on Mondoweiss posted a number of links to Archives on the same israelMFA page where those photos were archived under 2006 with different cropping I believe he said. When I went to check the archives were inaccessible and were later removed. I find it suspicious. However, it is possible that someone forgot to set the date on the camera. Regardless, though, this is a very sloppy PR campaign, very amateurish just like the attack on the Mavi Marmar.

• Sumud
      June 2, 2010, 4:36 pm

Original screen shots were captured & archived here:

link to emberapp.com

This is MFA’s flickr page:

link to flickr.com

Click onto any of the images and view the top level EXIF data on page right. It now says 2010 [click on more info it still says "Date and Time (Original): 2006:02:07 05:52:19]. The EXIF info on the archived images say 2006 so they’ve been modified recently..

• edwin
        June 2, 2010, 4:51 pm

Compounding a mistake with another mistake – or is it really bad cover up of fraud?

Either way – just about as professional as the raid on the high seas.

• Sumud
        June 2, 2010, 5:27 pm

Agreed. It is possible camera date was set wrong. I’m highly suspicious on a weapons discover though b/c cargo was checked before departing ports.

ON a related note all the people on the flotilla have had their cameras / video etc confiscated, – including the 60 or so journalists, 16 of whom are still being held:

‘At least 60 journalists were aboard flotilla, most still held’
        link to en.rsf.org

It stinks to high heaven.

• sammy
        June 2, 2010, 10:55 pm

The EXIF data has been changed – the date now says May 31, 2010

3. Cliff
    June 2, 2010, 2:00 pm

The vests carry the Red Crescent symbol. It’s probably for the humanitarian aide workers in Gaza.

4. sam
    June 2, 2010, 2:11 pm

Cliff,
    It’s very possible that these are fake. And it isn’t stupidity on the part of Israelis. They need a quick fix so what they do is have someone come up with old pictures and throw them out into the media space. They figure that by the time someone decides to do research to figure out the time stamp the suspicion that the activists are terrorists would be out. That’s really their main point. Most people will not even get the story that the pictures are fakes. So its a win-win for them.
    Of course, these pictures won’t hold up in an investigation, but they are hoping their won’t be an independent investigation. So long as that doesn’t happen then these pictures are worth it.

5. Taxi
    June 2, 2010, 4:17 pm

Murderers and Swindlers!

Yet I am not shocked at all at this.

6. radii
    June 2, 2010, 4:23 pm

the islamic symbols look like they were put on there with a cheap Paint program in post

what, were they going to grind some pimples off one of the teen zio-fascist soldiers?

kitchen knives?

really, what is their pys-ops dept. up to that they weren’t ready with a bunch much more dangerous weapons they could plant to create fear?

this would be a laughingstock if I could forget that real peace activists were murdered

• Cliff
      June 2, 2010, 5:18 pm

Symbols on the vest? It’s probably legitimate vests for ambulance workers I would assume. It’s their ‘Red Cross’

• Frances
        June 2, 2010, 5:43 pm

For Malaysians, the crescent is the symbol of our Red Cross, the Bulan Sabit Merah. The crescent is preferred in a Muslim majority country. I guess it’s the same for Turkey.

Let us not forget that these Israel-undermining Muslim Nazis were armed to the teeth with anti-Semitic marbles of mass destruction. We love the IDF!

7. David Samel
    June 2, 2010, 4:26 pm

This is quite reminiscent of the video Israel released during the Gaza attack, when it caught flak for firing missiles outside a UN school where hundreds of civilians had taken refuge. About 40 were killed, and Israel’s video showed a missile being fired from the school, thereby justifying the return fire. It took a little while, but the video was finally shown to have been made in October 2007, 15 months earlier. You never know – the bad guys might have still been there.

8. lobewyper
    June 2, 2010, 4:32 pm

But, I thought the IDF was the most moral army in the universe. What are you guys trying to say???

• eGuard
      June 2, 2010, 4:51 pm

That they have the best PR in the world too.

In: The Only Dem … aargh.

9. olive
    June 2, 2010, 4:36 pm

I would be grateful if Smuel (or anyone else with Hebrew skills can translate some of this for us):

“Regev tells Zoabi: Go to Gaza, Traitor !!! ”

10. sky7i
    June 2, 2010, 4:41 pm

“All wheelchairs from the flotilla will be shipped to Florida. We don’t want to give disabled Hamas militants a tactical advantage.” -Israel Global PR via Twitter

• RoHa
      June 2, 2010, 9:30 pm

Imagine an attack by swarthy, unshaven, Jew-hating, fanatical, disabled, suicide Hamas militants, armed with marbles and slingshots, rolling unstoppably across the border in their wheelchairs!

Can you blame the Israelis wanting to avoid that possibility?

11. Rupa Shah
    June 2, 2010, 4:58 pm

Actually one does not have to have very long explanation about these alleged weapons. The following article explains it all………and entertains!
    “Mark Steel: Of course, they were asking for it”
    link to independent.co.uk

• Colin Murray
      June 2, 2010, 5:26 pm

That was a great article. Thanks for the link.

• Bumblebye
        June 2, 2010, 8:11 pm

I suspect he’s hiding somewhere now, given what happened in north west of England today. One Derrick Bird killed 12, injured 25 then topped himself. Ok, it wasn’t a mall, but….timing = poor!

12. yonira
    June 2, 2010, 5:06 pm

The dates on the ship’s security camera’s seem correct

• eGuard
      June 2, 2010, 5:15 pm

Not that important. Israel could just release all the footage. Both their own, and the stolen recordings. Without comments, we can do that ourselves, please.

• Cliff
      June 2, 2010, 6:01 pm

Gona try to be civil w/ you from now on yonira. I mean that. And you seem to be trying to, since this entire flotilla thing happened (I think).

• yonira
        June 2, 2010, 6:06 pm

Thanks Cliff, I appreciate it, I will also do the same.

• Frances
        June 2, 2010, 6:07 pm

Good on you for at least sticking around when NitWitty has headed for the hills.

• yonira
        June 2, 2010, 6:17 pm

Look, I said this in my initial post after the raid, this was a mistake. This was an act, sanctioned by the highest level of the Israeli government. Everything about this raid was incorrect. There were many ways to handle this situation, but this was not it. Those who decided for an operation like this need to be held accountable.

There are still many questions which need to be answered in light of this huge blunder. I hope there will be an independent and impartial inquiry into what happened, what the intentions of the soldiers were, and why things went so drastically wrong. We will not have all of the answers overnight, I have my own opinions, but the bottom line is, this mission was a failure from it’s inception.

• sherbrsi
        June 2, 2010, 6:59 pm

I said this in my initial post after the raid, this was a mistake.

A targeted raid that kills an estimated 20 people is not a “mistake,” it’s terrorism, pure and simple.

• edwin
        June 2, 2010, 7:09 pm

for all the anger I have at witty – he said he would be gone – I understand for things to cool off. I think that is reasonable from his point of view and how things were degenerating.

• sherbrsi
        June 2, 2010, 7:14 pm

He left for the reason you state, but not before blaming the activists one last time.

Witty has no redeeming qualities as a human being.

• Les
        June 2, 2010, 7:53 pm

link to independent.co.uk

“During the 2006 war in Lebanon I concluded that my 15-year-old daughter could have conducted it more wisely than the Olmert-Peretz government. We’ve progressed. Today it’s clear to me that my 6-year-old son could do much better than our current government.”

Ari Shavit, ‘Haaretz’

• MRW
        June 2, 2010, 11:20 pm

It was murder, yonira. Not incorrect. Not a blunder. Murder. And intended to be that way.

Victor Ostrovsky was interviewed in the Washington post today.
        Read what he had to say about it.
        link to blog.washingtonpost.com

• aparisian
        June 3, 2010, 3:35 am

Cool yonira. The real Israel is out of the closet.
        Are you facing an identity crisis yonira?

13. javs
    June 2, 2010, 5:20 pm

I saw the footage and it shows people not so much as a provacation but a warning that they will not be abused or attacked without a fight. That is also another tactic used by the media in the usa to say rockets are being fired into settlement, well no kidding! let me ask if this was the usa and someone came and told you to leave it is theirs by birth right of sorts and proceeded to use wmds and other forms of tactics like concentration camp banterstands with walls.
    Where is the cnn reporters to cover the obvious? reminds me of wag the dog.

14. Shingo
    June 2, 2010, 5:49 pm

Hey guys, you have to check this out.

link to youtube.com

This footage allegedly shows the al Qaida guys getting ready to lynch!

Best lit security camera footage – ever!

So this means that somewhere there is clear, well lit footage of the IDF dropping from the sky.

Can’t wait!

Checks watch…

I”ll let you guys pick the shit out of all the clear flaws of this forgery.

• yonira
      June 2, 2010, 5:55 pm

Shingo,

i need help, please point out the forgery to me? were there no lights on the ship? I guess I don’t understand where u are coming from.

• Shingo
        June 2, 2010, 6:16 pm

Seriously Yonira,

Think of what you don’t see.

1. Compare this to the video of the Israeli commando landing on the ship. Notice how calm it is? Not even a gentle breeze.

2. The deck is about a third the size of the one in the video footage

3. Where is the light source comming from? The the video of the Israeli commando landing on the ship shows no such light source.

Go to 2:04 and loo at the water in the background. How come it’s so bright and blue if this is the middle of the night?

Look at the water bottle sitting on the post inteh foreground. it doesn’t even budge.

This was a very amateurish abnd badly done bluecreen shoot in a studio.

• ddi
        June 2, 2010, 6:46 pm

Oh come on Shingo you remind me of one of those people “deconstructing” “Pallywood” videos. The video is real enough. Anyway all this video does is it demonstrates what incompetent nitwits these supposed “elite” commandos are. NATO and EUNAVFOR(European Union Naval Force Somalia) armed boardings manage to free ships and their crews captured by Somali pirates armed with automatic weapons and RPGs often without killing a single pirate.

• Shingo
        June 2, 2010, 7:58 pm

No Didi, the video is a joke and a serious fake.

I happen to work in the visual effects industry, so it’s my job to spot obvious mistakes and this is a seriously poor effort.  If one of my guys produced this crap, I’d send them home and order them to get their eyes checked.

• MRW
        June 2, 2010, 11:28 pm

Shingo is right. The water bottle doesn’t move from 1:07 to 1:27 min. This does not compute with Al-Jazeera’s live feed.

• Shingo
        June 3, 2010, 12:22 am

And don’t you just love the guy holding up the slingshot and flexing the rubber band like was warning up for an Olympic event.

It also strikes me as odd that they’re so calm and collected, given that they must know they’re about to face of with a bunch of heavily armed psychos. They’re like a bunch of extras on the set of a commercial.

• thankgodimatheist
        June 2, 2010, 8:06 pm

If this footage proves anything it’s that the commandos were about to board the ship from boats not from helicopters as the activists were preparing for the reception!! The footage largely distributed by the IKF wants us to believe that it all started when the commandos were “drooling” from helicopters as if it was the starting point! Why? What is the IKF trying to hide?

• eGuard
      June 3, 2010, 4:57 am

At 1:06, is there a face above the railing (left in the view)?

• eljay
        June 3, 2010, 4:12 pm

That video is hilarious! :-)

There are plenty of clear shots of the “activists’” faces. I wonder if anyone, anywhere, has bothered to find out if the faces in the video match the faces of any of the activists on the ship.

15. Diane Mason
    June 2, 2010, 6:05 pm

If the photos were fakes, wouldn’t they be of something more incriminating than an assortment of everyday stuff that loads of people have lying around in their garage or basement? I mean, presumably the Israelis want us to look at these photos and sympathize with their poor outgunned commandos, but most people’s reaction is just going to be to burst out laughing when you tell them that this is the “weaponry” that scared Israel’s special forces to death.

It’s not as if the IDF hasn’t got a whole bunch of guns lying around that it could have taken a few snapshots of and passed of as something they found on the ship, if they were looking to fake photos.

• Shingo
      June 2, 2010, 6:19 pm

“”If the photos were fakes, wouldn’t they be of something more incriminating than an assortment of everyday stuff that loads of people have lying around in their garage or basement”‘

That depends on what the fakers were trying to achieve. If they showed smei automatic rifles and suicide vests in phtos, they’d themn have to show them to the public.

They probabyl thougth they were being sudtle, but considering the quality fo the fake video above, it’s clear that these guys don’t have a clue.

• Diane Mason
        June 2, 2010, 6:25 pm

Well if they were trying to achieve widespread ridicule and hilarity, mission accomplished.

16. thankgodimatheist
    June 2, 2010, 6:47 pm

Did anyone see the dangerous weapons Lawrence of Cyberia found in her kichen?
    link to lawrenceofcyberia.blogs.com

• edwin
      June 2, 2010, 7:12 pm

wonderful pic.

• Richard Parker
        June 3, 2010, 6:51 am

It’s a bit difficult to get an idea of the layout of the Mavi Marmara, but here goes, based on my own experience of similar ferries in the Philippines:
        Narrow top deck – basically the roof. This is where the first 2 B&W IDF videos came from; one from above, and one from the side. The ‘action’ appears to happen in the rear of the ferry, with the white ‘activists’ running towards the staircase at the rear, leaving several dead behind (white, unmoving figures). At the end, the black attackers regroup amongst the corpses.

• Avi
      June 2, 2010, 7:54 pm

1. Well, clearly Lawrence of Cyberia is a Turkish Islamist with ties to Iran, global Jihad, Al-Qaeda and I wouldn’t put it past – him? her? – to have indirect ties to the rebels on Alpha Centauri. I bet Mark Regev would be nodding his head in agreement if he read this.

———-

• Shingo
        June 2, 2010, 8:17 pm

“2. Watch ’till the end. There’s a gem of a reaction at the conclusion of the interview.”

Yes Avi,

It’s been duly noted.  The very thought of Israel being confronted by a real army scares the shit out of these guys, who thinks war means  shooting unarmed civilians and point blank range.

• thankgodimatheist
        June 2, 2010, 8:24 pm

And I clearly have ties to the Basque separatist movement as it happens that I have a collection of Laguiol (traditional French shepherd’s knives) , widely recognised as the best for cutting Roqufort cheese and peeling apples..
        link to i37.tinypic.com

• droog
        June 2, 2010, 8:33 pm

check out the mfa site and tell me what you think
        link to flickr.com
        its worth a re-look

• thankgodimatheist
        June 2, 2010, 8:57 pm

Excellent..Is that Mark Regev on Bibi’s shoulder?

• Richard Parker
        June 2, 2010, 10:38 pm

Clearly this is a spoof of the MFA site and not worth a mention here.

• droog
        June 3, 2010, 6:06 am

It’s reached from the main MFA Flickr page, and now it’s mysteriously vanished, ho hum
        someone hacked the MFA page without doubt, they changed it mid-debate and it was hacked.

• Richard Parker
        June 3, 2010, 6:57 am

My father had something like one of these, which he got in the Sierra Nevada in 1937. It was much larger, with a sharper point, and a hand-engraved phrase including the word ‘cono’ which he always refused to translate for me. I don’t think it was used for peeling apples.

• Bumblebye
        June 2, 2010, 8:27 pm

That was John Snow (not “mark”). Probably the best – he’s tore Regev a few new ones during Cast Lead. No wonder his voice got wobbles! But how come Regev hadn’t heard what everyone else has heard on the ordinary news outlets?

• Avi
        June 2, 2010, 11:49 pm

I suspect he did in fact know. He didn’t have an answer to it, or preferred to avoid it all together, so he pretended he hadn’t heard.

• eGuard
        June 3, 2010, 5:10 am

Maybe really new to him? First misquoting the interviewer (4.40: Interviewer: “[the Turks decided to] accompany the next flotilla with a warship”. Regev: “Sending warships to Israel?”).

Then, significant I think, having to listen to the interviewer instead of rattling prepared strawmen. The key is he’s forced to listen. That’s when he gets sheepy.

• thankgodimatheist
        June 3, 2010, 3:58 am

“him? her? ”

Lawrence of Cyberia is a she.

17. droog
    June 2, 2010, 8:18 pm

from the mfa flickr site;
    link to flickr.com

18. Richard Parker
    June 2, 2010, 10:34 pm

Shingo, your expertise is clearly a lot more than mine. I have been trying to compare these two:
    Fake videolink to youtube.com

and

Real Photo link to warincontext.org
    (or this, with live video towards the end)
    link to edition.cnn.com
    Commandos arriving unopposed in the same location, but with vastly inferior security camera real footage, as transmitted live from the Mavi Marmara. By this time it was almost full daylight, as can be seen by the colour of the sea. (Both bright, and both enhanced by the inherent sensitivity of a CCTV camera)
    The new IDF footage shows one hose being used; the later shows two left behind.

Clearly the ‘rioters’ were fanatical and vicious; one of them is a Turkish girl in above-ankle pants and low shoes. She was replaced by Central Casting for later parts of the heavily-edited movie.

All of this new IDF video is clearly meant to contaminate any evidence, but highlights the total incompetence of the IDF.

They can’t do anything right. They are still the brutal, stupid army of a shitty little Levantine country.

• eGuard
      June 3, 2010, 5:40 am

Let’s compare two frames of the linked videos, both from camera 14 (top left note in view).

YouTube video, camera 14, 2:15 (final frame):
      - Civilians on deck. Time in camera: 05:04:43.
      CNN-video, at 1:01:
      - IDF has taken over. Time in camera: 05:08:49.
      That is 5 mins later
      Difference: added a big red stain in the middle, next to the firehose.

Now how could that red stain have come there, and where are the civilians gone. All in five minutes.

19. Les
    June 3, 2010, 8:13 am

On Amy Goodman’s Democracy Now today, a participant pointed out that the commandos confiscated every bit of communication hardware and video the aid workers had and then the commandos proceeded to make their own videos. Will NPR or the New York Times look at the advance media preparation Israel included in its attack on the flotilla.?

• lysias
      June 3, 2010, 10:33 am

When the Israelis attacked the USS Liberty, the first thing their planes did was to shoot heat-seeking missiles at the ship’s antennas. The intent was to cripple the ship’s comms. Fortunately for the ship, one of the transmitters with antenna was down for repairs, and so the crew was able to bring it back up to send off the ship’s SOS.

The Israelis were also jamming U.S. Naval radio frequencies (along with the International Distress Frequency!), but jamming is never totally effective.

So the SOS got off, which is what saved the lives of the survivors on the ship.

Reports about the attack on the flotilla say that the first thing the Israelis did was to block the flotilla’s satellite communications.

20. unverified__521eh04c
    June 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Haaretz bemoans the lack of intelligence: “Apparently Israel, which prides itself as having the best intelligence in the world, should have known better that there were violent elements aboard one of the boats, equipped iron bars, knifes and slingshots.” (link to haaretz.com)

But what boat doesn’t have such things aboard?

21. hayate
    June 3, 2010, 1:33 pm

An interesting analysis of one of the videos the israelis have been claiming shows their pour liddle soldier boys being beeten up by bid, bad terrorists:

Written on June 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm by Sol Stance

IDF Video Footage of Flotilla Attack is Fake!

See either: