Thank you! We’ve raised $7,500 so far – please help us raise $2,500 more.

Click here to make a tax-deductible donation to Mondoweiss through the Nation Institute.

midnightThank you for the wonderful response to our request for donations last week! We can’t tell you how much we appreciate this strong show of support. As we’ve said before, we could never maintain this site without the generosity of our readers.

If you haven’t given yet please consider making a donation today. As one small sign of our appreciation, when you sign up to give a recurring donation of $25 or more a month we will be happy to send you a copy of the new anthology Midnight on the Mavi Marmara: The Attack on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla and How It Changed the Course of the Israel/Palestine Conflict. We have a chapter in the book based on some of our writing here on the site (you can read an excerpt on Alternet), and the entire book is full of thought-provoking essays from an impressive list of contributors including Ali Abunimah, Sara Roy, Noam Chomsky, Glenn Greenwald, Iara Lee, Rashid Khalidi, Amira Hass, Alice Walker, Stephen Walt, Haneen Zoabi and many others.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement as we continue to build the site, we couldn’t do it without you.

About Philip Weiss and Adam Horowitz

1. Citizen
    September 21, 2010, 7:04 am

And the world needs Mondoweiss:

“With every day that passes Israel further establishes itself as one of the world’s leading violators of human rights. To its British and American allies this may be seen as a gross overstatement; after all there are plenty of despotic, third world countries that arguably have worse human rights records. The question is – how many of them model themselves as democratic, advanced, first world, nuclear allies?
    The cold, hard facts of Israel’s ever worsening track record are well documented by human rights organisations and the UN, and they speak for themselves.”

2. Citizen
    September 21, 2010, 7:34 am

What do the American Congress and other leaders and the Arab clan/tribal regime leaders have most in common?
    They both rubber stamp Israel for the same reason: to keep and build their personal perks:
    link to middle-east-online.com

Hence the American masses are kept misinformed and stuffed with terror and the Arab masses are limited to government jobs.

• occupyresist
      September 21, 2010, 11:25 am

* the Arab masses are limited to government jobs

or being thrown in jail and tortured for endlessly long periods if they dissent. It’s a truly weary and draining existence, living under oppression, no matter the extent of oppression. After a while, people just want to “survive”.

3. occupyresist
    September 21, 2010, 11:27 am

Small question:

Is comment moderation in place permanently?

• Adam Horowitz
      September 21, 2010, 2:47 pm

We’re not sure yet, but it will be in effect for the foreseeable future.

• occupyresist
        September 21, 2010, 4:03 pm

Well, hope we can see the day when one can have a discussion of this conflict without having to moderate your site and other sites like yours.

Then again, let’s hope one day there won’t be a need for your site, and Mondoweiss will be relegated to history textbooks, along with this conflict and the end of chaos in the Middle East.

September 21, 2010, 5:43 pm

“We’re not sure yet, but it will be in effect for the foreseeable future.”

I expect my comments to be subjected to the most stringent moderation. If the moderators decide, for any reason (or none at all, for that matter) that any comment I make does not add to the discussion, or might bring a blush to the innocent cheek, or is below your standards for cogency, graceful phrasing, or lacks correct punctuation, or is replete with spelling mistakes, or, finally, is just low-class, I expect it not to be printed. Especially if it contains run-on sentences. Or I have obviously mis-construed or mis-read the comment or post I am commenting on.
        I know you guys are looking out for me, and won’t let me down. I won’t complain, not me. I’ll consider it a favor. It’s your website, not mine (I got banned from that one). I’m here on your sufferance.

September 21, 2010, 5:46 pm

Look, I don’t want to get obnoxious about this, but I’ve already seen quite a few of my comments which should never have seen the light of day. Could you maybe tighten things up a little around there?

• Antidote
          September 21, 2010, 11:35 pm

“I’ve already seen quite a few of my comments which should never have seen the light of day. Could you maybe tighten things up a little around there?”

PRICELESS, mooser

• Philip Weiss
          September 22, 2010, 1:30 am

yes: priceless
          mooser when are you going to pen your emotional/spiritual/physical autobiography, i want to publish an excerpt

• Citizen
          September 22, 2010, 6:00 am

Seems, bits of it have already been shown on Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

4. Formerly T-Bear
    September 22, 2010, 5:16 am

OT – please file in an appropriate post.
    Al Jazeera has a headlining opinion that gives voice to an important point of view –
    “Palestinians and the ‘Jewish state’
    If Palestinians recognised Israel as a Jewish state they would be effectively legitimising their own dispossession.”
    Lamis Andoni
    link to english.aljazeera.net

Going to the roots, this. Until the question of self-determination is settled by the Palestinian peoples, the conflict between Zionists and Palestinians cannot be settled and leaves a cloud of illegitimacy over the establishment of the state of Israel and all that has followed. Israel will remain a state founded on claims jumping and land grabbing exacerbated and compounded by terror inflicted upon a stateless, defenseless population. Those original terrorists controlled the state of Israel and have not relinquished the power of the state since, directing and controlling the continuing application of terror upon the Palestinians remaining and avoiding having to answer for their continuing crimes. All the self-indulgent, self-righteous propaganda issued cannot wash away this fact. There needs be no atonement for those illuminating and dispelling the darkness that hides the crime and the criminals. This site is a candle in the gales of emotion and self-interests, lighting a small corner of refuge from the night.

5. Citizen
    September 22, 2010, 6:16 am

Perhaps Obama should give the Palestinians Wyoming as an incentive to
    transfer out and allow the Zionists their goal? Israel could pay reparations for a century or so directly to Wyoming–and the US could take the taxpayer money currently going free to Israel and build up houses for the Palestinians.

• annie
      September 22, 2010, 9:16 am

citizen, better to let obama give the zionists wyoming instead. the issue of reparations would be dropped as palestinians could have their land back and we could give our the 3 billion to wyoming to settle the zionist settlers. of course we’d have to find out how montana felt about having all those expansionists moving in next door.

• Formerly T-Bear
      September 22, 2010, 10:55 am

Better still, give the Zionists the state of Arizona, leave the Palestinians alone, where they were, and in Peace; they have paid more than enough for their ancestral lands. The Zionists would fit in quite well with the existing population in Arizona with hardly any cultural shock to anyone involved (except maybe the surviving aboriginals). Fundamentalist batsh*t crazy does so well in Arizona’s brain-boiling-sun.

• Citizen
        September 23, 2010, 3:46 am

There’s only about 500,000 people living in Wyoming. The climate is a bitch, but didn’t they “make the desert bloom?”

6. MHughes976
    September 22, 2010, 11:49 am

It’s clearly my duty to make a donation and I went to my bank – Barclays – today to see if it could be done on a regular basis. They said they’d stopped doing that kind of thing. Apparently I must go in every month and sign a paper or two. I think I must write to you separately to get some further information.

7. Kathleen
    September 22, 2010, 11:51 am

Glad the numbers are up. Mondoweiss is priceless.

Although with the youngest in college…gave would I could. Wish I could give more. Really.

Hope folks keep spreading the word about Mondoweiss and Max Blumenthal

Have a laugh. Carlin makes me laugh so hard. “I can see the sun ha ha ha”

8. alyas
    September 22, 2010, 12:19 pm

I just want to say to everyone here who has been diligently advocating for Palestine and the Palestinians – thank you. I have been following Mondoweiss religiously since Gaza and it has been heartwarming to see the commitment and passion to justice that has brought you here to contribute if even in the smallest ways possible. Please know that the time and effort you put here on this site doesn’t go in vain because at least it gives Palestinians like me hope that there is still much good in the world and that people will carry the day eventually. I have been honored and deeply moved by Shmuel and Danaa’s comments especially, knowing that they have/had Israeli ties but still could see through the injustice of it all and speak out. I hope I can meet you all one day in something akin to the Gaza Freedom March, where humanity is the only binder. Adam & Phil, to you two my utmost respect…

In peace, justice, solidarity and for a free Palestine.

9. tree
    September 22, 2010, 4:31 pm

I’ll try to contribute more, in an additional one time donation, as soon as my next paycheck comes around. I love that you are including many different voices here, most especially Palestinian voices.

OT, and not that it will come to a hill of beans but:

“UN experts: Israel flotilla raid broke int’l law”

link to news.yahoo.com

• tree
      September 22, 2010, 4:36 pm

The Israeli Foreign Ministry responded late Wednesday by saying the Human Rights Council, which commissioned the report, had a “biased, politicized and extremist approach.”

Got to give the chutzpah prize once again to the Israeli government. Hijacking a humanitarian ship in international waters and killing 9 people, not extreme. Conducting an investigation of that raid in accordance with international law, on the other hand, now that’s “extremist”.

• Citizen
        September 23, 2010, 10:16 am

Don’t you know that the UN is a Trojen horse? It morphed into such a horse, of course, only after it recognized Israel. Before that it was HiO Silver.

• Shmuel
        September 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Israel sets new records for chutzpa every day – and immediately goes out and breaks them. Yesterday, at the IAEA conference in Vienna, the Israeli representative criticised Egypt for not having ratified the treaty to make Africa a nuclear free zone!

• Antidote
          September 24, 2010, 1:23 pm

I’m waiting for the argument that there was an anti-semitic plot behind the UN, US, EU letting Israel get away with settling the WB, thus turning it into a pariah state