Why I joined Mondoweiss

photo
Scott Roth

For a while now I’ve been a Mondoweiss reader and occasional contributor. Now I’m excited and honored to be coming on as publisher and want to tell readers something about myself and why I’m engaged on the Israel/Palestine question.

I grew up on the north shore of Long Island, in a predominantly Jewish community. Like many Jewish American families, my family cared about Israel. I first visited the country as a toddler with my parents and my grandparents (my parents have not been back since) and after my third visit at age 15, I knew that what I now call Israel/Palestine would play a prominent role in my life. I had always been fascinated by geography, politics and languages, and that tiny country seemed to be the epicenter of so many issues involving those subjects that it was intoxicating. Add to that that I am Jewish and because of that fortunate twist of fate, Israel was mine too, I was hooked.

My views began to change in my late teens. On my annual trips over I began to feel less and less comfortable. The notion that the place belonged to me solely because of what my religion happened to be didn’t sit quite well. In Israel I saw Palestinians and came to understand that this land had once been theirs. How was it that all this was supposed to belong to me? The separation began to seem not a good thing but a bad thing. I tried to reconcile my uneasiness with my allegiance to Israel, but many new questions arose. I tried to forget them – only I couldn’t. Some of these trips were followed by family get-togethers where a cousin of mine would challenge me on my still right-wing Zionist views. I found I had no morally or intellectually acceptable answers. College soon followed and I came to the unexpected and inevitable realizations that much of what my community had taught me about Israel was falsehood, or worse, indoctrination, and my former Zionism had been predicated on this dishonesty.

I’m 36 years old now, and Israel is agonizing to me. I think about it every day. I see people under Israeli rule living in ways that should outrage any human conscience. Moreover, I see violations of the rules and norms established in the later 1940’s to prevent criminal behavior that can result from ethnic nationalism. I see European and global communities that more and more will not accept Israel as entitled to ignore the law or to cause injustice and suffering. I see the obstacle to peace and justice is located here in the U.S. and in the Jewish community. Too many Jews have turned to the surrogate of Zionism and lost sight of Judaism. If they knew more accurately about what Zionism did and is doing, and if they thought more carefully about their religious tradition, they could turn Israel towards justice, and that change ultimately will be our only guarantor of peace.

People can’t think clearly and come to fair conclusions if they don’t have accurate information. That is why I was drawn to this site. Mondoweiss fills the void that the mainstream media has created by abdicating its role on the issue of Israel/Palestine. By reporting on facts on the ground, Mondoweiss is adding to the store of information that informs peoples’ opinions on this issue and it is helping to move the conversation to a more fair and even place.

I feel that by being critical of the State of Israel I am being true to the humanistic values of my religion — things like social justice and true appreciation for rigorous intellectual debate. At a time when mainstream American politics and the mainstream media are obscenely silent about the conflict, this site, Mondoweiss, makes it possible to be true to those values and to attack the odious, morally repugnant effects that result from the practical application of Zionist principles.

About Scott Roth

Scott Roth is publisher of Mondoweiss.net. Follow him on twitter at scottroth76 .
Posted in American Jewish Community, Israel/Palestine, Occupation, US Policy in the Middle East, US Politics | Tagged

{ 160 comments... read them below or add one }

1. pabelmont says:

Scott, Welcome. If you have ideas about how to engage the ( non-USA) nations themselves — or their people — to join the struggle for Palestinian national and human rights, let us all know. Because, for all our occasional very slight steps forward, the USA seems determined and destined to remain a “rogue nation”.

It’s almost as if Israel is imprisoning USA by using nuclear blackmail, and the targets of the threatened explosions — or some of them — are right here in the USA, perhaps NYC, where I live. At this stage, the USA’s slavish refusal to demand or to permit others to demand that Israel comply with international law iws hard to explain on any other basis.

2. ummati says:

Hello Scott

Welcome and looking for ward to reading your inspiring articles.

whenever ive felt like giving up, like nobody hears or listens or cares, i read up here on Mondoweiss n i gain the strength to let my tiny voice be heard also, Keep it up guys, u rock, i have won many an arguement with words taken directly from Mondoweiss :)

3. MRW says:

Scott,

Then make your motto that of Francis Bacon (circa 1600): Truth is the daughter of Time, not Authority.

McCann-Erickson is a worldwide advertiser. It’s in 120 countries. I don’t have the 60 page document in front of me, so I’m doing this from memory. I’ll paraphrase and I won’t be number-accurate. I got the doc from McCann-Erickson Beijing.

The old guys running McCann-Erickson needed to know, really know, what made the Millennial generation tick. This generation in the US alone will be 100,000,000 of voting age by 2016. We’re only 2% of the world’s land mass. Think of the population around the world.

McCann-Erickson spent two years on every continent surveying, polling, and interviewing Millennials. It was the most massive undertaking in their company’s history. After all, this is money for them, and for their clients into the future. These old guys knew that Millennials were born with digital devices glued to their fingers, but so what? They needed to know what influenced them, what made them listen in an information barrage, what caused them to choose one brand over another, who would they follow, and who would they punish and banish. They canvassed several hundred thousand worldwide, they polled tens of thousands, and they interviewed a subset of that extensively.

The answer was consistent on every continent–and genuinely shocked McCann-Erickson– from Latin America to Asia to Russia and Europe: they want the truth; its their only armor against information overload, and they will punish you for lying if they discover it by letting their friends know instantly that you are not to be trusted and that you should be banished from consideration. Number One around the world, every continent, every culture, every class, is tell the truth, and they don’t give a shit whose boat it rocks. (Now go look at McCann.com’s homepage.) For them, truth doesn’t have a continent, a class, a religion, or an age group. But it has a consequence.

• MRW says:

Lets hope Zucker gets this message as he takes over CNN, but I doubt it. He’ll cave to talking points and marching orders.

• pabelmont says:

And cave in to unexamined preconceptions, “received wisdom”, the stuff all the guys at the bar always say, etc. And what the preachers at the synagogue say. If you know what I mean.

• Isn’t McCann Erickson’s advertising motto “Truth Well Told”?
      - It must be the truth, but truth with the right spin.

• MRW says:

Exactly, Klaus. ;-)

• MRW (are these your initials or does it mean something?) -

After I quit teaching high school I worked for a couple of years in market research. – Beside not being honest about your product, the worst thing you can do as a company is accusing potential customers of your product – say it’s a German product – of being prejudiced against Germany and therefore being morally degraded for not buying your German product :-).
          - But that’s what Israel does with her Zionist product.

• libra says:

Klaus Bloemker: Beside not being honest about your product, the worst thing you can do as a company is accusing potential customers of your product – say it’s a German product – of being prejudiced against Germany and therefore being morally degraded for not buying your German product :-).

Well Klaus, according to our own Professor Ellis this appalling moral blackmail is the very tactic that Volkswagen stoops to in Florida by flaunting its “Das Auto” billboards in the face of passing motorists.

What’s more it’s dishonest. “Das Auto” was more likely made in Mexico than Wolfsburg and I’m sure Professor Ellis would be delighted to drive “El Auto”.

And don’t get me started on German beer. You wouldn’t believe the industrial quantities of Beck’s Pilsner I’ve had to force down my throat just to prove I’m not a raving Germanophobe. Imagine how shocked I was to later find out the brewery is actually Belgian-owned.

Really Klaus, the whole area of so-called “German” products needs to be thoroughly investigated. Is there one you can assure me isn’t “Ersatz” in some way?

Goodness me, now I think about it, didn’t you even tell us once you were really a Dutchman?

• “Goodness me … didn’t you even tell us once you were really a Dutchman?”

libra -
          Yes, that’s true. My family has been living for a couple of centuries now
          “in exile” in Germany. – How about Scott Roth’s family? Scott obviously
          came to realize that he is not living ‘in exile’ in America.
          ————-
          As to buying German products. – You won’t believe it (or you probably know): The most bigoted anti-German customers are the Germans themselves. They refuse to buy German-sounding products.
          - Therefore, companies choose English sounding brand names and English slogans that many customers don’t understand – but that doesn’t matter, it has a positive effect on sales anyway.

• “the area of so-called “German” products needs to be investigated” – libra
          ————–
          There is another area that needs to be investigated: It’s so called “German” first names. – Since 1985 Sara/Sarah has been among the top 10 names for girls in Germany. Lea/Leah and Hanna/Hannah have been among the top 10 since 1998. – You see, as with brand names, Germans try hard not to sound German. (And there is no custom to have ‘really German’ middle names.)

- How about Scott and American Jews in general? Do they have – beside Scott and Philip – real Jewish/Hebrew middle names? (I hope I’m not too nosy.)

• Shmuel says:

What, like Alexander, Phoebus and Todros or Hirsch, Leib and Alter? (I’d suggest other traditional Jewish names like Masoud and Fouad, but I don’t think they’d be particularly popular among Roths and Weisses.)

• Shmuel -
          You are bound to become popular in Germany, too. Samuel ranked 50th to 60th in 2006 to 2008. – But seriously, my Jewish friend Bruno told me that among Jews in Germany (and probably not only in Germany) it is customary to have a Hebrew/Jewish second ‘Christian’ name. (Bruno was Orthodox Polish-Jewish.)
          - But anyway, first names correlate with the integration/assimilation of an ethnic group.

• Theo says:

Now, Klaus, where did you get that idea about german buyers?

• Theo says:

In the christian world most names are jewish and come mostly from the Bible.
          John, Josepf, Mark, Matthias, Mary, Marion, Susan, Peter, Paul, Samuel,
          David, Lea, etc., all originate from hebrew names.
          The christian church did a good job.

• Mooser says:

” How about Scott and American Jews in general? Do they have – beside Scott and Philip – real Jewish/Hebrew middle names? (I hope I’m not too nosy.)”

Oh, my parents had some Yiddish names for me, but I doubt the moderator would pass them.

• “Now, Klaus, where did you get that idea about german buyers?”
          ———–
          Theo,
          isn’t that obvious everywhere you look? Just take one example, the manufacturer of outdoor equipment by the name of “Jack Wolfskin”.
          It was founded by a German in Frankfurt. But it wasn’t called “Wolfsfell”.

Or take the cosmetics chain Douglas. That company was actually founded
          by a Scotchman named Douglas in Hamburg. But you know what their slogan in Germany is: “Come in and find out.” (English in the original.)

Customers interpret this slogan as meaning: Come in and you will find your way out again. (You won’t get lost in our shop.) – That’s of course nonsense. But it doesn’t matter.

• Shmuel -
          Why don’t you tell me about Jewish/Hebrew first or middle names?
          Don’t you know or do the names belong to the transcendental, intrinsically Jewish identity that I’m not supposed know about?

Mooser doesn’t tell me because his Yiddish name is obscene. – I’m at a loss. How can I ever understand what is intrinsically Jewish?

By the way, Scott and Phil don’t tell me either.

• Shmuel says:

The naming of Jews is like the naming of cats: link to americanpoems.com

But above and beyond there’s still one name left over,
          And that is the name that you never will guess;
          The name that no human research can discover–
          But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
          When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
          The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
          His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
          Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
          His ineffable effable
          Effanineffable
          Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

• Thanks a lot for the poem Shmuel (T.S. Elliot)

That poem put my searching mind at ease. It convinced me of the futility of my “human (gentile) research” to discover the inscrutable, ineffable meaning of …. – whatever. Thanks again.

• Shmuel says:

Chin up, Klaus. Here’s another poem, for the sake of balance ;-)
          link to robertburns.org

• Theo says:

Klaus

That is a very naive interpretation of the english trend in Germany.

You wrote germans will not buy german made products.
          Now, I live in Germany and all our german friends speak fluent english and many even a third or fourth one, as I do, so most germans buyers understand enough english to know what they are buying.
          Those who visit Douglas or buy a product from Wolfskin, do not do it because they think it is not german made, but because the price or the quality of the product.
          English is the international language and if you want to be successful all over the world you must have an easily recoignisable name, that is the reason why the many products with english names.
          With Bloemker cosmetic you would have hell of a hard time!!

Once you are successful the name doesn´t make much difference, look at Volkswagen, Mercedes and many other quality german products.
          I have read many of your comments and you have a tendency to knock anything german. Why, you are one of them, or not?

• “With Bloemker cosmetic you would have hell of a hard time!!”
          ——————-
          That’s probably true Theodor, but there is “Klaus Blömker coffee machines”.
          (I don’t know this Klaus but he got to be a distant relative who Germanized Bloemker to Blömker.)

Look Theo, when I said:
          “The most bigoted anti-German customers are the Germans themselves.
          They refuse to buy German-sounding products” – I was speaking out as a true, real German defending the great German language against the bastard Americanisms and the Denglish (DeutschEnglish). – What I said about our German customers carried it to the extremes, yes, but there is truth to it.

• One P.S. Theo

I once came across an English retail store for outdoor equipment that was called “Wanderlust” – a great German term. In Germany the store would
          be named “outdoor point” or something like that and they wouldn’t call a rucksack a ‘Rucksack’ but a backpack.

• libra says:

Theo: With Bloemker cosmetic you would have hell of a hard time!!

Aber ist das so?

I think German could be the new English when it comes to international marketing. Admittedly “Das Auto” bombed in Florida but look how much mileage Audi has got out of “Vorsprung durch Technik”.

Surely it’s just a question of carefully picking the right three German words as a tag line and you could sell anything to a world convinced of the inherent superiority of German products.

For instance in the case of the above cosmetics client, we at libra global branding solutions propose:

Bloemker Schminksachen
          schönste Gesicht machen

Indeed, what woman of a certain age could resist the allure of Doktor Bloemker’s rejuvenating concoctions?

• Mooser says:

“How can I ever understand what is intrinsically Jewish?”

Wasn’t that covered pretty well in a book about some body’s “struggle” or something?
          Besides, Klaus, what is there to “understand”? Can’t you see our intrinsic qualities for yourself? You’re a grown-up, you’ve had some experience with people, and besides, we are looking at these “intrinsically Jewish” things from the inside. So you are the one who should explain them to us. Any time you want to, please, be my guest. Of course, whether or not the Moderators want you to be their guest is not my problem.

• “Bloemker Schminksachen
          schönste Gesicht[er] machen”

Well, I guess I would first change Bloemker to Bloomer and say:
          “Bloomer’s best beauty” – That’s the right amount of simple English,
          enough to make my German ladies feel special and very cosmopolitan.

• Theo says:

libra

” I think german could be the new english”.

I seriously doubt that.
          English is an easily learned language, very simple grammatic and sentence struckture, you can express something with a few words.
          On the other hand, german is very complicated, difficult grammatic.
          To think that english is really a germanic language, the german tribes of angels and sachsens conquered the island sometimes in the 6th century and stayed to rule ever since. Now called anglo-saxons.

• GreatLeo says:

>Is there one you can assure me isn’t “Ersatz” in some way?

As it so happens, the word “ersatz” in German means “genuine”.

• GreatLeo says:

Oops. My previous post is wrong. In German, “ersatz” means “replacement”. When I bought parts for my old BMW motorcycle, they included the phrase “Echte BMW ersatz teile”. “Genuine BMW replacement part.”

• >Is there one you can assure me isn’t “Ersatz” in some way? – libra
          - “ersatz” means “replacement” – ‘BMW Ersatzteile’ – GreatLeo
          ————————————————
          GreatLeo -
          libra meant something else, that German-sounding products, brands and companies aren’t in fact German but owned by foreign companies and manufactured outside Germany. Libra uses the term “ersatz” meaning
          ‘not the real (German) thing’, a substitute. He meant (jokingly) that customers are mislead by a false German front.

There is truth to that in some cases. But I told him that it’s more often the other way round: German products, brands – by using English names – have a fake American or international front.

• American says:

Good info MRW……..

” they want the truth; its their only armor against information overload, and they will punish you for lying if they discover it by letting their friends know instantly that you are not to be trusted encouraging results. ”

fantastic!!…..

• Citizen says:

I think it was Keats who pointed out truth is as pleasing as beauty. What percentage of politicians, large or small, have been poets?

4. seanmcbride says:

Scott,

Good luck in your efforts to reclaim Judaism and Jewish humanism from Zionism — your description of the core issues at stake was right on the mark.

5. Nevada Ned says:

Hello, Scott Roth!
    Thanks for your brief political biography.

By the way, did you ever thank your cousin for challenging your earlier views?
    Just curious.

We all look forward to your contribution to the struggle for peace and justice!

@ Nevada Ned
      Good question to Mr Roth; let’s see if he answers.

• Mooser says:

“Good question to Mr Roth; let’s see if he answers.”

Excuse me, he timidly whispered, but what exactly does a “publisher” do at a website? I mean, I’m sure it’s really cool, and helps repair the world, and rids your body of toxins, and all that, but what is it, exactly?

6. Erasmus says:

200 percent agreed !!
    welcome, Scott!
    And while due criticism is very much required wrt to Israel Government policies,
    as well as those of the USA enabling the same,
    PLEASE do not forget to harp home when it comes to these bigot European Governments, which do not live up to their responsibilities and remain factually accomplices of occupation and gross injustice – and that since decades.

• Mooser says:

“….I feel that by being critical of the State of Israel I am being true to the humanistic values of my religion ……”

Wow, do I do anything but screw up? All this time I was so happily convinced I was betraying my religion by being anti-Zionist! I figured to kill two birds with one stone sort of thing. I never get anything right.

7. AdamAW says:

As a European, and an inheritor of the legacy of the WW2 (both of the my grand-father’s fought in the war and my maternal grandfather was one of the liberators of Bergen-Belsen) and I deeply troubled that the legacy of the Holocaust has given rise to further injustice and discrimination. Scott, welcome to the site, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment to the cause of peace and justice. We all need to do what we can to rectify this terrible and on-going injustice for the sake of the Palestinians, the Israelis, and for the moral and spiritual health of the whole world.

@ AdamAW

Can you tell us born and bred Americans your impression of the average European’s take on their government’s financial and diplomatic support of what Israel has been doing to the Palestinians post-Nuremberg? Is it like in America, where the average American does not have any facts about the situation and/or they just buy into “Israel is our great partner in the war against terrorism,” and we have “the same values as Israel”?
      (“Judeo-Christian”). Is there much of a practical difference between all the generations born during or since WW2? If so, clarify. Thanks.

• AdamAW says:

@ Citizen

I don’t think that I’m particularly well qualified to comment on the average European’s view of Israel/Palestine, but I can comment on how things are here in the UK. If we look at the main-stream media outlets such as the BBC the pro-Israel bias is reflected in the manner in which news is reported but is not overt except in the case of the right-wing newspapers. I really can’t imagine a newscaster talking about Israel as “a partner against terrorism” or saying that our country has “the same values as Israel.” Respectability is a key imperative, and whilst media outlets won’t want to be seen to be sympathetic towards Hamas or Hezbollah neither will they want to be seen to be sympathetic towards Israeli ‘excesses.’

So even within the media there is a huge difference, but when you move on to public opinion I think a really significant difference starts to emerge. The BBC faced a huge back-lash over the manner in which it reported the latest round of ‘fighting’ in Gaza, with many members of the public, with no political agenda, feeling genuinely outraged about Palestinian fatalities being reported in a completely different way from Israeli fatalities. Although Britain is home to the most famous royal family in the world we also have a long history of class-struggle, and although it is no doubt something of a generalisation, it is my impression that many working class people identify with the Palestinians as an oppressed population group, and as such genuinely desire their release from Israeli oppression. There is a sense in which working-class people in this country feel personally threatened by the privileging of Israelis over Palestinians. Of course most people are fairly apolitical and aren’t paying much attention; but in the case of somewhere like Scotland, which has its own history of resisting English colonialism, I would say that this would pretty much be the consensus opinion – in so far as people held an opinion at all. [Google 'Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign' for more info on that].

I’m sure that there is a difference between the different generations, and in general I suspect that the younger generation are less sympathetic towards Israel. Of course we have a different history with Israel to the US. I recently met an older guy who was shot at and nearly killed by Jewish terrorists prior to the British withdrawal! It doesn’t help that they are still teaching WW2 and the Holocaust to kids in school as if these were the defining instances of injustice in human history, rather than cautionary tales of how careful we need to be to avoid stigmatising or scapegoating any population group under any circumstances, from which we can learn universal moral lessons. However, in general I think that the mood towards Israel is one of apprehension. People who want to offer unequivocal support for Israel are definitely the exception rather than the rule, and likely to be viewed with suspicion by most people who are following developments in the region.

• Adam, great explanation on Citizen’s query. I think that you’ve captured the idea that there is actually a dialogue/debate in the UK. While it can be argued that “Friends of Israel” has tremendous influence over British government officials, for example, there are also “Friends of Palestine” who counter-balance. (Citizen: these are under various parties, Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative–just google them. National Archives also offer loads of heated debates in Parliament history). So too go the ngo’s. Neither “side” is viewed as the norm; they are each different opinions, both getting a voice. It seems that in America the pro-Israeli/Zionist perspective is the default mode, and that pro-Palestine is seen as merely opposition to the norm. What we hear from America is not much of a dialogue, but a lot of shouting and back-room deals….

@ AdamAW,

Thanks you so much for your thoughtful and quick response. The EU countries’ regimes always seem to echo the US regimes re Israel in deed, even though, at times there’s a nuanced difference in terms of official policy creed. It’s clear to me from what you say, that (1) Western regimes don’t give a crap about what their citizens think regarding Israel v Palestine, and (2) the caveat is that in the USA we have a sH*t load of Christian (zionist) fundies that you apparently don’t have.

8. MHughes976 says:

If it is important to claim religious as well as humanistic validity for a critique of Israel there must be arguments showing why those who recruit Judaism for the cause of near-uncritical support for Israel are mistaken, and mistaken in religious as well as humane terms. What are these arguments? How should we really understand the Books of Joshua and Judges and other relevant traditions? You could ask me to produce parallel arguments in Christian terms, of course.

@ MHughes976

Good question. Try to respond by ignoring classical arguments for and against “Just War,” and “Self-defense,” and “Thou Shalt Not Kill.”

9. Kathleen says:

Scott you sound like a very open minded honest person. Allowed the accurate information to come in an thought about it. While so many Jews I know have either been silent and complicit about this critical issue or even gotten pissed that some of us have been going to DC lobbying our Reps about this issue, going to Palestinian solidarity conferences, working on college campuses for years trying to get accurate information out there for decades, It has been so wonderful to watch far more Jews get involved with this issue the last five or so years.

So healthy that you allowed accurate information into your scope. Good luck with your new position.

@ Kathleen
      Yeah. Why am I reminded of that scene in the movie Cabaret, where, at the German beer haus out in the air of the country, the young rosy-cheeked Hitler Youth, angelic and full of strident justice for his generation, gradually induces all the locals to rise from their beer tables in the garden, comprising three generations of Germans–and while this happens, and before we know the clean-cut young lad raising this ardor is a Hitler Jugend, the camera focuses on the oldest man there in the audience; he wears an old sea cap, he alone does not rise to the song of the new idealism, suggesting he has heard all this before, and paid the price, and he alone remains seated. I don’t mean to suggest that Mr Roth is like the clean-cut lad mentioned, but, rather he is learning to be the old man mentioned. I guess I am voicing my cynicism that truth will ever really have practical real political power, whether thru actual experience, or imaginative empathy.

10. hey scott, welcome to the family. there’s so much that goes on around here, and so many people who make this site happen, which is generally a reflection of the vast activist community at large (and so many on the ground in palestine). for me it’s really an honor being part of our community whether i am chanting w/activists friends in front of the aipac conference at the st francis hotel SF(last night) or interacting w/commentors and contributors in a group email about changing NPR coverage so it more accurately reflects reality (5 minutes ago). and only a trickle of the amazing work our human rights community is doing ends up on the front page of mondoweiss. sometimes months and months of planning and work by so many people precedes just one post because that’s the nature of activism. it’s really the whole community that makes it happen. i’m really glad you’ve outed yourself (in a hugh way) as one of us, dedicated yourself as you have w/a moral commitment of sorts by taking such a leading role. thank you again and welcome aboard. let’s free palestine together (which will inevitably free israel). and free america from the israel lobby.

• Mooser says:

Man, I hope Scott is right now writing out orders for Mondo writers on the use of capital letters, punctuation, spelling, and making the use of typographical emoticons a firing offense. On a site without editors or proofreaders, especially dealing with these issues, (and faced by those opponents) there is no excuse for not making the writing as clear as possible. It is the only language we have, let the Zionists abuse it more than you do.
      Okay, I’ll never mention it again, since I know it’s a losing battle.

• MRW says:

I agree with Mooser, Annie. You need to sharpen up your game. People from other countries put your remarks through Google Translate, and you try doing it with your remarks. Just use Auto-Correct on your Mac to set up ‘wrt’ and ‘w/’ to instantly transcribe into what you want, and its a Mac setting to start all new sentences after a period with a cap. Easy peasy.

TextExpander is another godsend.

11. Mac says:

Welcome aboard Scott. You are on the right side of history.

12. jimbowski says:

Thanks, Mr. Roth. As a “goyem” I almost always quote the words of Jews in order to criticize Israel to my friends, family and others who are insanely uncritical. It’s safer for us gentiles to do so because we’re constantly berated for being antisemites. I predict I’ll be quoting YOU in the future as well. I can’t go wrong with a name like “Roth,” right? Or a name like “Weiss”. I guess you’re the vanguard! Mondoweiss is so important. Peace and good luck! — Jim

• Kathleen says:

But lets be honest while it has gotten easier to quote Jewish individuals who have recently joined and added to this movement immensely the majority of folks who were out on the front lines of this issue have been “gentiles” for decades. While these ‘gentiles” have met with Reps for decades and not gotten any press etc…I really think I have been smelling a myth being created over the last five years. Most Jews who have joined this movement and added in huge and measurable ways they should be honest about their silence for decades and how this silence and often support for Israel has added in huge ways to the size of this problem. Admit that their silence has been complicity in many ways and then move forward. Not try to spin that complicity.

I know “gentiles” who have been meeting with Reps, putting together petitions for Reps about this issue long before Scott was even born. Those who are new to standing up on this issue should make a habit of talking about the Paul Findlay’s, the Edward Said’s of this issue who came long before more Jews have gotten involved the last five years when it has become far more safe to do so. Acknowledge the silence

@ Kathleen
        Yes, acknowledge the silence. I too have known non-Jews who’ve been trying to bring attention to this issue since before Scott was born. Believe me, they’ve paid the price. Acknowledge the price.

• jimbowski says:

Hi, Kathleen! I agree it’s important to acknowledge the decades-long silence. But the most damaging silence has come from America’s liberals than from America’s liberal Jews. Just look at the Democratic Party, mostly comprised of gentiles, for an example. Since the 1980s, I have known quite a few Jews who have been willing to criticize Israel. But they are not invited on the boob tube and Wolf Blitzer ignores them. Back in 1948, a number of Jews, including Albert Einstein, criticized Israeli fascism in a letter to the New York Times. Over the years, I have found that more Jews than gentiles are willing to criticize Israel.

@ jimbowski
      With a name like Roth or Weiss, it’s equally plausible (to say the least), going solely by the name, the bearer is of German origin.

13. eljay says:

>> Some of these trips were followed by family get-togethers where a cousin of mine would challenge me on my still right-wing Zionist views. I found I had no morally or intellectually acceptable answers. College soon followed and I came to the unexpected and inevitable realizations that much of what my community had taught me about Israel was falsehood, or worse, indoctrination, and my former Zionism had been predicated on this dishonesty. … I see people under Israeli rule living in ways that should outrage any human conscience. Moreover, I see violations of the rules and norms established in the later 1940’s to prevent criminal behavior that can result from ethnic nationalism.

Some may accuse you of “moral snobbery” and “cheerleading”, but you appear to have examined your “initial attitudes” and concluded that injustice and immorality – even when committed by the “Jewish State” of Israel – are unacceptable. I can respect that. Thank you, Mr. Roth, and best of luck with your endeavours at Mondoweiss (and elsewhere).

>> … I look forward to working on this site and I hope you will hold me and Mondoweiss to the highest moral and journalistic standards.

I hope you will have the strength to hold yourself to them.

14. Pamela Olson says:

Welcome, Scott! Glad to know you, and heartened to have another conscientious humanist on board.

15. Kathleen says:

While Scott seems clearly qualified for the job and his position on these issues is clearly based on facts and in the spectrum of most folks who spend time at Mondoweiss. My question is for Phil.. Adam and other powers that be at Mondoweiss. Is being Jewish a pre condition for people who get jobs at Mondoweiss? Now there may be a reason for this but it is not clear to my why the folks who work for Mondoweiss are disproportionately Jewish. Is it because Phil and Adam want it to appear that Jews have always been on the right side of this issue. Is there some myth agenda here. Or some promotional reason. Please explain. There had to be non Jews who applied for this position. At least one would think so

• Philip Weiss says:

Kathleen we answered that question in our post, that we have come inevitably to represent a shadow Jewish community that is trying to break the tie to ethnic nationalism. I agree with you that many gentiles, and some Jews too, preceded us in this critique. But for myself I was just an American features journalist who had never gone to Israel — though yes, I felt some censorious need not to investigate it — till 2003 when my country’s decision for a disastrous war impelled me to consider the Israel angle. I have said that my engagement on Iraq made me Jewish again, in the sense that it involved me in a Jewish community from which I was estranged that actually shared my liberal opposition to ethnic nationalism. Phil

• Kathleen says:

I think I get this that are you saying that you want the staff to be mostly Jewish so that this “shadow Jewish community that is trying to break the tie to ethnic nationalism” is more united? Feels more supported? But if that is the case why would hiring a “gentile” for some of these positions necessarily break down that unity if that is what you are after.

Phil I have always appreciated your honesty with having been silent for years and the possible reasons why “I felt some censorious need not to investigate it” Did not have to go far. Edward Said, Jimmy Carter, Norman Finkelstein. But anyway have always appreciated this about you. But do think you should mix up your people.

@ Kathleen
          I guess Phil feels that hiring an American “gentile” for some of these positions necessarily break downs the Jewish unity he seeks to “do the right thing.” If so, is this a tacit admission by Phil that non-Jewish Americans have no real clout when it comes to factual criticism of Israel’s conduct and US regime enabling of it? If so, I think he may have a practical point, not just a tribal one. This is horrifying to me, given the USA is 98% non-jewish. The horror, the horror. It’s not really fiction. We all know the Protocols of the Elders of Zion is a fiction dreamed up by Russian Czarists. But what are we to make of this reality?

• Kathleen says:

I promote Phil and Mondoweiss’s work everywhere I can. But as you have said it is telling that the efforts of “gentiles” for decades has what has actually been kept in the shadows. Decades of lobbying, work on campus by ‘gentiles” and never met one Jewish individual up until the last five years or so. These facts need to be acknowledged and then and only then can folks move forward. Noting the complicity of the majority of Americans Jews for the Apartheid state of Israel. Great shifts going on but attempting to spin those facts is just that spin

• Mooser says:

“I think I get this that are you saying that you want the staff to be mostly Jewish”

And be guilty of ethnic or religious discrimination? I don’t think Phil is expressing a “want” I think he’s just recognising the fact that because of where, when and what Mondo is, a lot of the staff will almost inevitably come from a Jewish background of some type.
          It’s very hard for me to believe Phil Weiss would perpetuate the same discrimiatory hiring practices which he felt have not helped him or the Jewish community in these matters.

• Sibiriak says:

Mooser,

I don’t think Phil is expressing a “want”

I’m not clear on this.

I got the impression that Phil *wanted* Mondoweiss to “represent a shadow Jewish community” in a way partially analogous to Israeli soldiers speaking out via the group “Breaking the Silence”.

jimbowski says:

That’s *a* reality, like it or not, isn’t it?

• Kathleen says:

‘come to represent a shadow Jewish community” Phil your activities and blog are about as much in the shadows as a woman running naked through the aisles of a right wing evangelical church.

@ Kathleen
          RE: “And I so appreciate what you are doing and know you do not get paid near enough for your time and dedication. Still think you should mix your staff up.”

I guess nobody non-Jewish is available who is qualified as of good moral and ethical stature and sufficient intelligence, education, and empathy in 98% of the American population?

• Mooser says:

“Gee, why not ask your wife, Phil? She may suggest at least one contender you’d consider?”

Gosh, I did not know that in addition to all her other fine attributes and activities, Mrs Weiss is on the Mondo staff, too? I mean, why would a guy consult his staff when he’s got a smart wife?

Gosh, accepting religious or ethnic discrimination as laudable, and now suggesting outside interference in the hiring process. I hope I never have to apply for a job with you folks.

• Mooser says:

“as a woman running naked through the aisles of a right wing evangelical church.”

You’ve never seen “praise dancing” in a right wing Evangelical church? That Biblical garb gets pretty diaphanous sometimes, emphasising that which it should obscure. I never miss it, myself.

• seanmcbride says:

Kathleen,

With regard to the “Jewishness” of Mondoweiss — I welcome it. For Jews to challenge the Zionist establishment is very hard work indeed — perhaps even dangerous work — and they need to feel a certain comfort level to do that work — especially when they are surrounded by antisemitic piranhas who are eager to hijack the critique of Zionism and push it in Judeophobic directions.

I think it’s great that Jews and non-Jews here, particularly in the comments section, are able to work on developing common ground regarding their defense of Enlightenment and modern Western democratic values — even when they disagree on some issues. (For instance, I seem to have made Mooser and a few other people uncomfortable in my insistence that the entanglement between Judaism and Zionism needs to be explored and disentangled.)

I think we should acknowledge that Mondoweiss has provided a full and generous opportunity for non-Jews to express their thoughts and opinions on Zionist issues.

• Kathleen says:

I understand the wonderful and diverse community. I am asking Phil, Adam etc the Mondoweiss paid crew if there is an agenda with having a disproportionate amount of Jewish individuals on the staff? Why is that? Now clearly most of us who come here and participate and those who work for Mondoweiss have similar views but I am specifically asking about why mostly only Jewish individuals working on the staff? Is there a reason for this? An agenda?

Had not seen Phil’s response but he did answer part of my question and i appreciate that.

• Kathleen says:

And as I have expressed here before I do feel that there is sometimes an effort to spin the American Jewish communities complicity for decades in the oppression of Palestinians away. Instead of acknowledging the complicity and the decades of silent support for Israel no matter what they did and continue to do

• seanmcbride says:

Kathleen,

I think this subject — Jews challenging the Zionist establishment — is so touchy and volatile that dissident Jews need to be given ample space among themselves to work out precisely where they are going — there are many pitfalls to worry about. Since they are exceptionally thoughtful people, they may even be wondering if they could be making a mistake — I would be if I were in their shoes. Perhaps they are being careful and cautious. The “comfort zone” issue should be respected, in my opinion.

All of this is just speculation on my part, of course — I don’t know anything about the inside politics of Mondoweiss.

In any case, Mondoweiss has bent over backwards to permit the expression of opinion here by non-Jews that has at times even crossed the line into raw antisemitism. Mondoweiss is more committed to free speech than any other forum on this topic that I can think of.

• Rizla says:

Just a thought, Kathleen: I’ve always felt that some of Mondoweiss’s PR power comes from the fact that the staff is mostly Jewish. I tell my friends about some news story, MW’s largely Jewish staff (and the critical attitude they have towards Israel) often helps centrists neo-liberals take the info more seriously.

• Kathleen says:

“bent over backwards to permit the expression of opinion here by non-Jews” Sorry just sounds to “oh thank you for letting me speak about this issue on your Jewish site” What the hell is that all about?

Anyway clearly people disagree with me. But I think Phil and team should really mix it up. Hire a Palestinian on your staff Phil and Adam…shake it up.

• Kathleen says:

It has been very telling over the decades that gentiles who have expressed themselves (thinking about Art Gish) and many others who have spoken out, lobbied Reps, been arrested, put together petitions, put their lives on the line etc over decades were so often swept aside for their actions. Why do we all put more importance on these issue when Jewish individuals are saying these things? I think down deep this reeks of deep prejudices

• American says:

seanmcbride says:
          December 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I think this subject — Jews challenging the Zionist establishment — is so touchy and volatile that dissident Jews need to be given ample space among themselves to work out precisely where they are going — there are many pitfalls to worry about”>>>>>>>

I would agree with that. Both dissident Jews and critical gentiles are gonna get attacked ….but for dissident Jews they are considered the enemy ‘within’, more threatening….and although they can be labeled self hating they aren’t quite as dismissible by the zios as outsider gentiles who they can dismiss easier with the old anti semite label.

@ seanmcbride
        I don’t disagree. Weiss has offered more free speech on his blog’s subject than anyone else in a country of over 300 million souls. He’s earned big time respect for his dedication to truth in the most inconvenient area, the most taboo area of public discourse.

• Dan Crowther says:

In Phil’s defense, he’s let me and a bunch of other non credentialed cats have a voice on MW by publishing sht we’ve written. Not very many people would do that. I bust his stones all the time, but he’s hardly limiting people’s voices, and if he wants to hire only jews – which i don’t think is his true aim – that’s his business, it’s only like five people, if it were twenty, it would be different. I’ve always thought of MW as not just the “world of weiss” but as “weiss’ of the world unite!”

• Kathleen says:

‘if he wants to hire only Jews” come on no matter how you spin it that is not ok among any group or effort just not smart in my experience and just not right. Mix it up. Unless part of his goal is to make it appear that Jews have always been on the right side of history on this critical issue. Which he knows is not true. Hire a Palestinian

• marc b. says:

no, it’s not OK. i don’t want to turn this into a big deal, because they can hire whomever the eff they want to hire, that’s their right, but a large part of the problem in the first place is the fact that palestinians, and arabs more generally, don’t have a voice in american media (and, no, no matter how sympathetic, ‘heap good pale face’ surrogate in pith helmut, clutching a worn copy of said’s ‘orientalism’ isn’t the same), and the fact that IP has been treated for decades as a topic only fit for serious discussion among a select number of american jews. mondo is perpetuating those inequities if it’s hiring practices incorporate ‘the kinship network’ ideology weiss ostensibly criticizes. but, i forgot, he must be praised because he wears his prejudices in an open, mensch-y, self-deprecating style. pfffft.

• Dan Crowther says:

“Hire a Palestinian”

No argument whatsoever. That one is long long long overdue…….

• Citizen says:

MW should hire a Palestinian American. And it should hire a standard white bread American too-I bet many would apply even if they hardly got paid because they look to American and World interests first. Maybe it was not time to do so before because what one needed was any Jewish competition, however feeble, to Jewish lock on American discourse re Israel, but it’s time now. The Arab Spring is also the American Spring, and it’s not Springtime for Hitler and Germany, but Springtime for Humanity–America not excluded.

• MRW says:

I agree. With the exception of the banning of Blankfort, which I took as a personal affront, we’ve had some knockdown fights on this blog that opened the discourse in a way that aided MSM bloggers (who read this site surreptitiously) to address previously taboo subjects. Moreover, and more importantly, the amount of historical information and references to actual documentation now available in the archives is invaluable and incalculable.

And as for the GentilesR’Us component on this blog, our value will become apparent over time.

• Dan Crowther says:

Fckin marc man – you’re hard to argue with my brother!

• Mooser says:

” And it should hire a standard white bread American too-”

They help build strong websites twelve ways? What if the guy is more Twinkie than Wonder-bread?

• marc b. says:

you’re hard to argue with my brother!

it is hard to argue with pfffft, dan. no doubt the most persuasive point i make in any argument.

• marc b. says:

‘we shall overcome’. sing it with me.

• piotr says:

On a practical note, what is the budget here? We see two drives per year with the total of 80k. We see 8 writers and a publisher. It is not like Heritage Foundation, to give an example of a well funded institution.

In general, the funding at the non-imperialist, not-nationalistic etc. outfits is sketchy, and the activity is often sporadic, in part because people that are involved have their day jobs etc. Palestinian sources are very clearly run on a shoestring. The writing here is diverse as far as perspective is concerned. Diverse staff? We should remember that numerous staff means more money, and the process of getting money can beget a curse: establishment perspective. (Ideally, mondoweiss.net can survive with small donations with no little pieces of the soul offered in exchange. By switching to store-brand humus one can support BDS and save enough to modestly support mondoweiss.net!)

• Sibiriak says:

seanmcbride,

You’ve made some very important points in that regard. I may not agree with every detail, but your basic framework would seem to be uncontroversial. I’m not sure, then, why Mooser feels such a strong need to distort your words, making it as if you were saying that Zionism is the *inevitable expression* of Judaism, when what you’ve actually said is that there is a strong *relationship* between Judaism and Zionism that needs to be “explored and disentangled.”

• seanmcbride says:

Sibiriak,

I haven’t tried to argue that contemporary Jewish religious Zionism has emerged inexorably from ancient Judaism (ancient Jewish ethno-religious nationalism) as the product of any “essentialist” character of “the Jews.”

What I have argued is that many Jews have freely chosen to use the basic themes, myths and symbols of ancient Judaism to construct modern Zionism.

What in the world is controversial about this assertion? It is obviously true.

• Sibiriak says:

seanmcbride,

And could you make the same assertion, but remove the word “ancient” from “ancient Judaism”?

• one could, but wouldn’t it change the meaning? for example, if one was referencing the maccabees is it incorrect to say ‘ancient judaism’?

• seanmcbride says:

Sibiriak,

Yes, you could. One could be referring to medieval Judaism, or all pre-Enlightenment Judaism, or most contemporary Orthodox Judaism, or even most contemporary Reform Judaism — which has lost track of its Enlightenment roots.

I like to use the word “ancient” because it focuses on the core roots of contemporary religious Zionism, and even of much of contemporary secular Zionism. For instance, secularist David Ben-Gurion relied heavily on the myths and symbols of Torah for his framing of Zionism.

Try Googling [david ben gurion bible]. The first hit? “The Bible is Our Mandate.”

• Sibiriak says:

Perhaps.

• Sibiriak says:

Use made of the Bible is a good example of this process of secularization of central motifs of the Jewish religion and bestowing secularized national meaning on them. The Old Testament is no doubt a religious text and a moralistic book par excellence. The aims of its writers, codifiers, and producers were to teach which practices were permissible and desirable “in the eyes of God” and which were not.

Gershom Scholem remarked in 1926 that “God is talking [anyway] from the scripture and the secularized Hebrew language, even if they [the secular Zionists] are not aware of it. “45

From the beginning, the Jewish settler society of Palestine adopted the Bible as a constitutive text, and considered it a national history and title to the land currently settled by the native Arabs, who manifested both active and passive resistance to Jewish colonization. The Book of Joshua, the narrative of the ruthless conquest of the Land of Canaan by the ancient Jewish tribes, was especially appealing, because of the direct linkage it provided between the mythical time and the here and now.46

After the establishment of the state, the scholarly and the popular teaching of the Bible and its cult were constructed as the most central part of the Israeli state civil religion, as has been well demonstrated by C. S. Liebman and Eliezer Don-Yehiya.47

Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion organized well-publicized Bible study classes in his home for officially invited intellectual and political celebrities, adding to his aura as a “philosopher king.” Hundreds of imitative Bible seminars (hugey Tanach) were established countrywide.

The Bible was interpreted as both a kind of ethnocentric nationalist-militaristic basic law and a universal humanist and socialist message, leaning on the visions and prophecies of texts such as the books of Isaiah and Jeremiah.

The wider public was involved by means of a newly invented cultural institution-Bible-knowledge competitions, which were broadcast by the monopoly state radio service and intensively covered by the newspapers. A new popular hero emerged, the “Bible cham- pion.”48

The clear message was that the present Israeli state is the direct heir of the biblical Israelites and the mythological kingdoms of David and Solomon, but the theocratic character of the latter was largely blurred.

Despite all these efforts, it was not easy to establish secular Zionist hegemony and impose the state on the civil society previously rooted in the Yishuv.

Baruch Kimmerling, “The Invention and Decline of Isræliness”

• seanmcbride says:

Sibiriak,

That’s a superb passage from Kimmerling’s book — I hope Mooser, Hostage and Shmuel will appreciate the quality of his scholarship.

Regarding this:

The Old Testament is also brimming over with bigotry, ethnic cleansing, ethnic fanaticism, genocide, military aggression, misogyny, racism, violence, etc.

That is why Thomas Paine wrote:

Whence arose all the horrid assassinations of whole nations of men, women, and infants, with which the Bible is filled; and the bloody persecutions, and tortures unto death, and religious wars, that since that time have laid Europe in blood and ashes; whence arose they, but from this impious thing called religion, and this monstrous belief that God has spoken to man?”

• seanmcbride says:

Sibiriak,

From the description of Kimmerling’s book on Amazon.com:

This thought-provoking book, the first of its kind in the English language, reexamines the fifty-year-old nation of Israel in terms of its origins as a haven for a persecuted people and its evolution into a multi- cultural society. Arguing that the mono-cultural regime built during the 1950s is over, Baruch Kimmerling suggests that the Israeli state has divided into seven major cultures. These seven groups, he contends, have been challenging one other for control over resource distribution and the identity of the polity. Kimmerling, one of the most prominent social scientists and political analysts of Israel today, relies on a large body of sociological work on the state, civil society, and ethnicity to present an overview of the construction and deconstruction of the secular-Zionist national identity. He shows how Israeliness is becoming a prefix for other identities as well as a legal and political concept of citizen rights granted by the state, though not necessarily equally to different segments of society.

book; Baruch Kimmerling; The Invention and Decline of Israeliness: State, Society, and the Military; 2005; University of California Press link to amazon.com

I just purchased the Kindle edition — thanks for bringing Kimmerling to my attention.

• Sibiriak says:

Ben-Gurion wrote in his diary, May 24, 1948 :

“We will establish a Christian state in Lebanon, the southern border of which will be the Litani River. We will break Transjordan, bomb Amman and destroy its army, and when Syria falls, and if Egypt will continue to fight, we will bomb port Said, Alexandria and Cairo.

This will be in revenge for what they (the Egyptians, the Aramis, and Assyrians) did to our forefathers during biblical times.

• Sibiriak says:

seanmcbride,

True enough. I’ve made that point, replete with Biblical quotes, to many a believer–particularly regarding genocide. In most all cases, those actions were defended as being fully moral, morality being ultimately derived from the will of God, as revealed in the Bible. So genocide and moralism are not necessarily contradictory.

• Shmuel says:

Why? Have I ever said anything to the contrary? I am a long-time admirer of Kimmerling (I think I’ve even quoted him a few times in my comments here). There is nothing controversial in the passage cited by Sibiriak. Of course the Zionists harnessed parts of Jewish mythology and the Bible in particular to their nation- and nationalism-building cart. The Eddas, Iliad or Beowulf would hardly have done the trick.

• seanmcbride says:

Shmuel,

The main point we need to focus on is that the worldwide Jewish religious establishment overall — with some exceptions, like those mentioned by Hostage — has gone along with this program to merge and meld Judaism with Zionism. Many Jewish religious leaders have even enthusiastically encouraged the belief that Judaism and Zionism embody a single ideology.

When are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist leaders going to fix this problem in an effective way? On its current trajectory, religious Zionism can only end as a disaster for everyone — but especially for Judaism and the worldwide Jewish community.

• Mooser says:

“The Eddas, Iliad or Beowulf would hardly have done the trick.”

Oh, come on, Shmuel, they never even tried . They might have been surprisingly effective, if handled right.

• Mooser says:

“there is a strong *relationship* between Judaism and Zionism that needs to be “explored and disentangled.”

We handled all that, long time ago, it took about, oh, an hour. Then you go on to stuff which can be useful.
          But if you want to keep looking for the answer in the Old Testament, New Testament, Talmud, Apocrypha, whatever, be my guest. At least it will keep you occupied. I know, make some arbitrary (Arbitrary? they’re all Jewish!) lists, and call it “scholarship”, or depend on a list’s ‘supranutural’ power to order the universe.

• Shmuel says:

sean,

A few weeks ago, I translated an article written in the ’50s by religious Zionist Yehoshua Radler-Feldman: link to mondoweiss.net

Another religious member of Ihud, Dr. Simon Shereshevsky, wrote (Haaretz, 19 September, 1969; emphasis mine):

People are speaking of “Greater Israel” and God’s promise to Abraham “To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt as far as the great river, the river” (Gen 15:18). Most of those who cite the verse are fascist unbelievers, or believers and God fearers with fascist opinions. What is the practical, real meaning today of the words, “To your descendants I have given this land,”, when Arabs have lived for generations on a great part of this territory. Who and what will symbolize this “greater Israel”? The soldier who is armed “from the sole of his foot to the top of his head,” the armored vehicle and the tank that strikes fear in the hearts of the citizens who live under a regime of “emergency regulations”?

Source: link to jeremiahhaber.com

• Mooser says:

“The main point we need to focus on is that the worldwide Jewish religious establishment overall”

Anytime you want to describe and substantiate the existence of a “worldwide Jewish religious establishment overall” tell us who is in it, and show us how it works and administer its decisions, we would all love to hear it. Is it run by a single guy (or gal, who knows) or a committee of ten?

“if handled right.”

It’s time for Jews to wake up! We were not ‘born to be mild’!! No, we must rise up and take a ‘magic carpet ride’ to Zion.
          See what I mean? It’s practically custom-made.

• seanmcbride says:

Mooser,

Let me give you a hand: Google [jewish religious organizations] and read and learn.

The worldwide Jewish establishment comprises one of the most richly connected collections of formal organizations that I’ve ever encountered for any lobby or special interest group. I have long been interested in social network analysis (and lately computational social network analysis), and this domain is a gold mine — amazing, really. Other ethnic groups should be green with envy — when ethnic politics is their thing.

The mainstream Jewish media (like JTA, Forward, the Jerusalem Post, etc.) report on the activities, statements and policies of these organizations all the time. It’s a big topic. One assumes that your naivete on these matters must be feigned.

Who occupies the head of this organizational pyramid? The leaders of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, apparently — “machers” — quite a few of them billionaires or multimillionaires.

It’s quite an operation — and it is the heart, soul and guiding intelligence of the Israel lobby.

• Sibiriak says:

Mooser:

Most of us already know exactly which individuals and organizations Sean is referring to with the phrase “the Jewish Establishment”.

And it’s true that that Jewish Establishment, overall, has “gone along with this program to merge and meld Judaism with Zionism.”

Could you explain to us why you dispute that uncontroversial observation?

• But the Biblical stories and symbols adopted by Zionists for the foundation of a new Israeli identity were a part of Judaism, not just “ancient Judaism”, were they not?

sure, but he was addressing the ones from “ancient Judaism” in his query. i took it to mean his focus was on the adoption or revival of the ancient. religions do morph overtime, hence reform judaism. but if one seeks, for example, to militarize a culture..then illuminating and glamorizing people and events from a militaristic period could be used as a form of indoctrination could it not?

anyway, perhaps i originally asked my question because i wasn’t completely clear what the meaning of yours was. it seemed as tho you objected to the idea of singling out ‘ancient’.

@ Sibiriak
          Mooser is pretending he has not read all the comments over the years at MW that detail who and what organizations compose the Jewish Establishment in America. He’s also pretending they don’t have a great influence on US policy in the ME, and on annual big time US aid to Israel. He wants to make the point that he is first an individual, not a Jew, and that Jewish Religion has no Pope, so to say. His stance is admirable, and I think real. He really does not need to blow his antlers off, as he’s been doing here of late. It would also help him if he didn’t highly distort comments here when he feels threatened by them. He should look at why he feels threatened by said comments. Seems he’s going through a moose menstrual cycle.

• seanmcbride says:

Mooser,

Among the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, one notices at least twelve organizations that are associated explicitly with Judaism:

1. Association of Reform Zionists of America
          2. Central Conference of American Rabbis
          3. Jewish Reconstructionist Federation
          4. MERCAZ USA, Zionist Organization of the Conservative Movement
          5. Rabbinical Assembly
          6. Rabbinical Council of America
          7. Religious Zionists of America
          8. Union for Reform Judaism
          9. Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America
          10. United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
          11. Women of Reform Judaism
          12. Women’s League for Conservative Judaism

See the Wikipedia entry for the Conference of Presidents here for the full list:

link to en.wikipedia.org

Questions: which of these organizations have attempted to draw a line between Judaism and Zionism? Which of them are ardently pro-Zionist? Which of them are core components of the Israel lobby?

• Mooser says:

This is unbelievable! I cannot believe I have to explain this in detail. If I said “world wide Catholic establishment” we could describe it: At the top, the Pope, the Vatican, the College of Cardinals, then the various Bishoprics, down to the individual diocese. If we said “worldwide Presbyterian establishment” Well, Betsy could describe it for us, maybe it has a committee at its head instead of a single guy, and then there’s the structure, and the church financing, down again, to the individual parish, if that’s the right word.

Now, I am still waiting for somebody to describe in even that much detailthe “Jewish establishment.
          Look, I am not saying that Judaism is any better or any worse than any other religion, I wouldn’t know, but the way that it actually exists, bears no resemblance to the “worldwide Jewish establishment”

Of course, your picture of Judaism as centrally organised, and a top-down and secretive (otherwise it’d be right out in the open, like the Catholics and Presbyters, right?) organisation devoted only to its own ends to the rest of humanity’s detriment does resemble something.

So any time you want to describe the structure, administration and show the efficacy of the “worldwide Jewish establishment” instead of simply imputing qualities to it which comport with your misconceptions, I’d like to hear about it. They never told me about it in Hebrew school.

• American says:

“Anytime you want to describe and substantiate the existence of a “worldwide Jewish religious establishment overall” tell us who is in it”…..Mooser

I’m not a religious scholar but it seems obvious to me that within any religion there are things that can taken from it’s teachings or myths or whatever and used for some purpose or religo/ideological movement
          As for the Jewish religious ‘establishment’, the one most visible and exerting the most influence (politically and ideologically) right now is the one that has tied Zionism to Judaism.
          I think that’s what Sean is saying….that some parts of Judaism were prime for being used by zionism. I don’t know anything about Judaism except from the comments and info I have seen here and a little research into specific things that have been said. My impression from this is I think Judaism might have lent itself to zionism in some of the parts that concentrate on all the travails/ suffering of the Jews. That would be prime pickings, a big bump for zionism….to reinforce it’s mantra of necessary separateness and the world as hostile.

@ Sibiriak
          Mooser feigns ignorance of the Jewish Establishment. While it is true that there is no Jewish Pope or College of Cardinals, it’s also true that AIPAC POV in America is what the US congress and WH genuflect to; and take a look at all the myriad of Jewish organizations that parrot everything AIPAC says, and then look at how AIPAC parrots Israeli hasbara every time. While, e.g., Roman Catholic’s top-down structure remains intact, the Papal bull is mostly in fact BS today in terms of how it’s received by the Roman Catholic masses on an every day level. Conversely, while there is no comparable Jewish top-down structure, when it comes to Israel, American Jews act as if AIPAC is the Jewish pope. The real problem is, so do Gentile American politicians. At least the latter have the excuse that they are bribed.

• Citizen says:

OK, Mooser, shall we start with the US congressional applause given Bibi N-it was more than for a US POTUS, and work backward from there?

• Mooser says:

“Seems he’s going through a moose menstrual cycle.”

You know, when you’ve been married for a long time, or like me, an eternity, that can happen! Sympathy periods.

“Mooser feigns ignorance of the Jewish Establishment. “

Okay, you’ve got me there, Citizen. I would never say that you are feigning. Nope, with you an Sean, it’s the real thing.

Remember, nobody holds a copyright on the word “Jewish”. Anybody who finds advantage in it may call their organisation that, or some form of it, Jewish this, or the Association of Jewish thats. No, I am not saying those organisation aren’t almost entirely founded, run and supported by Jews, that of course, is obvious.

• Mooser says:

“He should look at why he feels threatened by said comments. Seems he’s going through a moose menstrual cycle.”

See what I mean? How can you even have a pretense to being progressive, or even liberal,(or even a grown-up, frankly) if the very first place you go is misogyny! Now would you like to explain to us, Citizen, why a menstrual cycle is so bad, and why being accused of having a menstrual cycle is an insult?
          Why a person could almost think you were trapped in a web of stereotypes!

@ Mooser
          You are, as so often, locking horns with yourself. Please look into why you’ve felt so threatened by my comments on this thread.

• piotr says:

mooser, you should know better than that.

The concept of “establishment” does not imply centralization of conspiracy, but some set of shared beliefs and a propensity to cooperate and “circle the wagons”.

Establishment also signifies access to privilege, and sharing the consensus (or not) can maintain that access (or finish it) which greatly distorts the intelectual or policy debates. It also signifies deference of the “sensible majority” to the wiser establishment, as we the little people do not have to figure out everything by ourselves. We have specialists to do it.

16. Hi Scott
    Congratulations on your new position as a Publisher. Your article was very inspiring and I look forward to reading more articles on the Palestine/Israel conflict written by you.

I have a question for you and maybe others who read my comment can also help me to understand and answer my question which is when I read your article you wrote, “College soon followed and I came to the unexpected and inevitable realizations that much of what my community had taught me about Israel was falsehood, or worse, indoctrination, and my former Zionism had been predicated on this dishonesty.”

My question is that why is the system designed in such a way that when we are in high school or even middle school the teachers teach us something different from what University teaches us? Why aren’t we told the truth from the very beginning.

In Canada education is free up until high school and we are not taught any of the truth things. The books that we read in grade 4, grade 5, grade 6 all the way up until high school don’t mention a word of what the real history really is. The teachers teach us and educate us with books that are based on lies. But as soon as we start University which we have to pay for we learn the truth and that everything we were taught in grade school was a lie. I don’t understand this and I think it is better to home school your children instead of sending them to school where teachers teach them all sorts of false education.

Can someone please help me to understand this why we are taught lies in grade school and when we reach University we are given the shock of our life that everything we were ever taught in grade school was nothing but a lie and we are faced with the truth we have to question everything and think critically about everything. Why the does the teachers not educate us with the truth from early age so we are not shocked when we reach University?

I would really appreciate if someone can please answer my question. Thank you.

@ Pakistani Princess
      I think they think, a la Jack Nicolsen, at earlier age, “You can’t handle the Truth!”
      link to google.com

I don’t agree. The line between a kindergarten and a vegetable garden shouldn’t be the same. Because humans are not meant to be carrots (or cannon fodder or tax slaves).
      Still, imagine if your parents told you the absolute truth about everything, from day one of your life on this earth.

17. Hi Scott

I would really appreciate if someone can please answer my question. Thank you. Lets Free Palestine together. Ameen

• Scott says:

@Pakistani Princess
      (Can’t resist that name). I’m not the Scott this thread is about, btw. The reason people don’t home school their kids is that they want/need to get them out of the house for a few hours, or the entire day. Kids mostly learn to read and write in school, at least in the US the indoctrination is not so intense it can’t be mitigated. And any educated or concerned parent can always talk to their kid about what they’re learning, argue about it if it seems stilted, or false, present other source material, etc. It was done with me (by a pinkish stepfather during the height of the Cold War) and made me seem very interesting to other kids in my class.

I’d also like to address Kathleen’s issue re late comers to the I/P question. For the overwhelming majority of Americans, including me– it seemed that prior to 1992 or so there were more pressing issues, and then that Oslo would provide a passably just solution to the Palestine question. It took about seven or eight years to figure out that Oslo was a scam, that Israel didn’t want a two state solution, and that Israel (and its American lobby) would keep pushing America into mid-east wars. That’s why there’s been an explosion of interest in the issue since 2003 or so.

@ Scott
        The home schooling movement took a long time to develop after WW2, and the reason was fundamental Christians reacting to the liberal domestic agenda that took off big time from the mid-1960s. Most Americans, parents or their children, born during the war or the immediate aftermath never even thought about questioning what they were taught from kindergarten on through, at least, high school.

In other words, if you were a rebel against the status quo as a young person in the 1950s, you were clearly a tiny minority; in the Later Nam Era, you were the brain style. This lead to both Manson and Israel uber alles. Now, everybody is playing catch-up. Obama’s latest victory shows the numbers. The GOP is awash in trying to figure out a winning strategy. The big corporations (especially banks and insurance and military complex) are using the common man as their mask for continued power, and the opposition is doing it too , with “Obama bucks.” The conflict is a zero sum game. Israel’s future is part of the mix.

• Mooser says:

“reacting to the liberal domestic agenda that took off big time from the mid-1960s.”

Now, you people need to understand this very clearly! What you liberals think was a guarantee of right for all Americans, and an attempt to make some kind of affirmative measures in that direction was actually simply a boondoggle granting un-entitled goodies to minorities and women.
          So don’t be fooled, its all a plot to give the US to the minorities.

• Mooser says:

“This lead to both Manson and Israel uber alles”

Yesirree, bob, and if you keep going in that direction you reach the pinnacle occupied by Citizen (and about a zillion other lunks I know) where ethnic stereotyping, even racism, and certainly homophobia and sexism, are now liberating, anti-conformist, radical values since they oppose the “liberal brainwashing”!!! And isn’t that convenient, when all the same old prejudices you always have put you on the cutting edge of political thought!!

I’ll give you this, Citizen, you have all the cowardice of your convictions, every bit.

• Citizen says:

Mooser, doing his Bill Maher impression.

• Citizen says:

Aw, Mooser, right on target as usual! I’m such an ironclad coward. Thanks for pointing out a few of my sacred moose.

• Mooser says:

I’m sorry, Citizen. As always, I’m on the trail of something I can’t quite explicate. Maybe I’ll see it better by and by.
          But I’m seeing it everywhere: what I’ve always thought of as the most regressive things are now being touted as progressive.

• seafoid says:

@ Pakistani Princess

Those are some excellent questions. I have the feeling that people aren’t supposed to think too deeply about how the world works. Look- there is Kim Kardashian!
      We are supposed to believe that everything is as it should be.

And for those who spend their lives in the rich world there may be very little evidence that this is not the case. If you don’t have relatives outside the core or you have never spent time outside your own bubble and you are not so interested then it’s easy to conclude that things are as they will always be. Those other countries are poor because of culture, you know. Nothing systematic about it.

In order for this approach to work we need really devoted gatekeepers like Judy Rudoren and Tom Friedman and Rachel Maddow etc.

@ seafoid
        If You think Rachel Maddow is a plus, you are deluded. Maddow has nothing to do with the truth unless you are a PEP. With gatekeepers like her, I don’t understand how you may like Scott’s joining MW.

Kim K? Really?

18. American says:

Does it really matter if those who run the site are Jewish, Buddhist or Presbyterian as long as they ….’tell the truth’.
    If someone fudges in favor of their identity affiliation then call it out…otherwise it should be immaterial.
    And for this same reason I disagree with who ever said that non Jews quoting Jewish (non zionist) individuals on I/P gives them more credibility or ‘cover” so to speak……I use to think or do that too until I realized it was perpetuating the problem/attitude that the only legitimate criticism of Israel had to come from Jews because non Jew’s opinions and criticism were suspect, probably anti semitic and so forth. Everyone has a ‘right’ to criticize what they object to ….as long as they tell the truth and there’s not any malicious intent behind it.

• Kathleen says:

of course it is the truth that matters, but if a particular ethnic, religious or cultural group are disproportionately hired it should by questioned and examined. What is the reason for this? Is it an unconscious or conscious decision? A case of “pervasive cronyism” which NPR has been charged with or a direct decision to feel united in some way that non Jews somehow allegedly just don’t understand. Or is there prejudice in the hiring practice?

• American says:

kathleen

I think it’s what Phil said….he’s being the ‘Jewish shadow government’ so he bring Jews into his Jewish shadow gov….. except shadow gov usually implies the actual power behind the official gov establishment so maybe he needs to call it something more anarchist like…lol

@ American
          I’m with Kathleen on this. How can Phil growing a shadow Jewish government/monitor of the US government to make it “do the right thing” by still being kosher be “anarchist”? In the end, who’s more universal in practical aspirations for universal human rights, Weiss or his wife? Or are you saying there is no difference in their views, as much as we know them here from Phil’s limited input?

• American says:

Citizen…

I really wasn’t saying anything about that….just saying that ‘Jewish Shadow Government’ ..for the Jewish community…..isn’t a good description for what he’s doing because Shadow Government actually means ‘the powers’ operating behind and controlling the official or government establishment. Phil isn’t controlling/doesn’t currently have any control of the Jewish establishment, he’s more like trying to overturn it or reform it.

• MRW says:

It’s going to be the Gentiles in the USA who are going to demand the truth and free the (American) Jews to speak it because they realize that without it, they (AJs) will be ostracized. You have to look at the long arm of history to see that. Once the majority demands the truth, the minority can speak plainly, then the majority can debate. (I’m putting it simplistically.) It starts with a vocal and determined minority who educates a sliver of the majority and back and forth it flows, like a complicated cocktail in the hands of a real bar meister. Happened with slavery. Happened with the Viet Nam War. It’s the way the flow of intent works.

The Gentiles on this joint are the barbed war you have to get past. We provide cover, protection, and direction. So be very careful how you moderate us, because we are giving you gold to use when your voices are legion and mainstream.

19. NickJOCW says:

Vital to keep the momentum going. It’s all very well for Merkel to pout and tick Netanyahu off but she is still sending him a nuclear sub and bearing the cost link to france24.com.

@ NickJOCW
      Yes, Merkel does the same thing Obama (& former regimes) does. They scold when their ass is in the air viewed by the world, but they always give Israel more carrots and never any sticks. Israel loves it! Germany and USA suck Israel’s member forever, it seems, with no end in sight. Kudos to IsraelFirst members everywhere. US and German taxpayers pay for Israel. Great conclusion to the Nuremberg Trials, and to all those who died in WW2.

20. piotr says:

To Pakistani Princess:

there is a simple way of letting kids to know about history: have a shelf with some interesting books on history. Lamentably, we kind of overdid it in my family resulting in our son taking history as the major (mothers, do not let your sons to become cowboys or historians!). So, preferably stop with less than 100 books.

One thing that we get from a cursory knowledge of history is certitude. Who were the good guys, when they prevailed, when they did not. Otherwise, you learn things that make the world less certain and more terrifying. Like that from the beginning, bards reciting historical poems, sages recording their books etc. there was a tension between the creation of convenient myths and censorship and attempts to recover the truth. Lastly, war is madness. One cannot interpret events in long wars purely through good/bad, strategic/class interests and so on, as various elements of madness creep in. War party is Madness Party and political moderates are all too often moderately insane.

21. piotr says:

Hi Scott, welcome!

Out of curiosity: what does a publisher do? Seeing like mondoweiss.net struggled over the years without one, I do not know what we have been missing.

• Rusty Pipes says:

That part is unclear to me as well. Is he a liaison with Haymarket Books for some new book(s) that Phil and Adam are writing/editing and coordinating the calendar for their book tours/speaking engagements? Is he working on the tech aspects of the website, redesigning the logo, drumming up advertisers/underwriters or working on ways to promote this site on other web-based venues? I have a general idea of what a publisher in print media does, but what does that title mean in the digital world?

22. eGuard says:

OK. I just found out what itches me. Not three Jews in the board. It is the U.S. grouping, reference, basics. It is the “U.S. view” all around. While Gaza is being bombed, Beinart is the one to turn to because he will change U.S. Zionist mentality. Sure. Like J-Street promised two years earlier — within the U.S. That is what makes me scratching. How has that U.S.-limited focus creeped into the banner of Mondoweiss?

• Kathleen says:

Supporting the tribe when its effects have generally been destructive not a healthy approach. Mix up the staff.

And the effort to portray Beinart as ‘brave” here at Mondoweiss is just another example of trying to create heroes out of the tribe. Instead of telling the truth that Beinart, Weiss, Benjaman etc are all part of the better late than never crowd. A great shift and all three mentioned are extremelyeffective in getting out there with the facts and getting media attention. But this need to portray this better late than never crowd as “brave” is fascinating. Finkelstein, Carter, Vanessa Redgrave, Art Gish now those folks are “brave”

23. justsayin says:

Thanks for all the stories & info. The whole lot of very intelligent people here should get together & become a new and better government for the USA…any thoughts on YOU all doing that?….also check out the ixquick, it may be a soulution to any future slack from Uncle Sol for this great site for truth & information.

24. Kathleen says:

While Phil admits that he started and was willing to get involved with this issue (never forget he now makes a living off of this) in the run up or after the invasion of Iraq I sense that there is an attempt to spin a myth that Jews have been involved with this critical issue for decades. And that is just not the case. While Norman Finkelstein, Ilan Pappe and to some degree Chomsky have been out there speaking out now for decades. Trying to pretend that Jews have a history of lobbying their Reps etc over the decades on this issue is a total myth. Almost 4 decades of lobbying congress folks in DC with groups from both Ohio and Colorado not one Jewish person has gone with us. Not one. These groups were all gentiles. Not that the media would give them any media coverage when they met with many Reps. Now again things have changed the last 5- 10 years an important change and so many Jews are moving to the just side of this issue. But subtlely trying to deny the fact that the large majority of Jewish American’s have economically and morally or through their silence supported the apartheid government of Israel for decades is denial. I sometimes sense that may be some part of the agenda of Mondoweiss. Creating a partial myth. Best to just simply acknowledge this complicity not spin it and then and only then can any group really move forward

25. Kathleen says:

Ok made my point over and over again. Moving on. And Scott welcome again. I know Adam , Phil and team would only choose a person of great skill and honesty. I just think all ethnic, cultural groups, that have a tendency to stay and work among one another should mix it up. Like giving all construction contracts, media jobs, etc etc to “your people” Goes on way too often

26. Joe Catron says:

What, exactly, does a publisher do, in the specific context of an individual (Scott) and a Web site (MW)? I usually associate the term with some institutional body – a university, say, or a commercial firm – responsible for the manufacture and distribution of printed materials. Their role in things is pretty obvious. Here, I have no clue.

27. BKLYNMAN says:

Congrats Mr. Roth. I hope other Jewish people wake up to what Israel tries to do in their name. Mazel Tov.

28. Welcome, Scott! I appreciate your sharing your motivations in furthering your role with Mondoweiss. I imagine it mirrors the sentiments of many of us around the world who read Mondoweiss commentary, no matter our religions.