Obama’s speech in Israel and the realities on the ground for Palestinians living near settlements

(Click on the image below to view it larger.)

Obama in Palestine

About Katie Miranda

Katie Miranda is an illustrator, jewelry designer, and cartoonist living in Portland, OR. She is currently working on a graphic novel called "Tear Gas in the Morning" which is a memoir about the nonviolent resistance movement in Palestine. Visit katiemiranda.com to learn more. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katiemiranda.bazaarkhalil Twitter: @KatieMirandaArt
Posted in Israel/Palestine, Occupation, US Policy in the Middle East, US Politics

{ 12 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Taxi says:

Truthful. Soulful. Wonderful.

2. valency says:

“Kibbutzim that made the desert bloom???????”

I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to the speech yet, because I need to get sufficiently stoned to avoid breaking things when I hear it, but OMFG is that the most blatant pandering I have ever heard. He’s really pulling out all the cliched code words this time.

Remember when Obama was practically called the anti-messiah by the Israel lobby? Well, he’s scrambling to avoid even the hint of the charge of disloyalty to his Israeli foreign policy handlers now.

• Sumud says:

“Kibbutzim that made the desert bloom???????”

I can identify with that! I despise liars, and I especially despise opportunistic liars with lots of power and no moral backbone.

Most disappointing with Obama is that he most likely does understand that Israelis never made the deserts bloom, but he don’t care and will say it anyway.

I have to drop this link now – to overcome the exact same urge to break something:

Tell Me Again, Who Made The Desert Bloom?

3. piotr says:

Both texts and the art are excellent. :-)

4. Talkback says:

Obama can’t even answer a simple question on Israel’s human rights violations:

5. Citizen says:

Get this Confession by this guy, Andrew Sullivan, who goes to great lengths to show you that he admits he was wrong for favoring attack on Iraq: link to dish.andrewsullivan.com

He explains why. Something really feeble to take to heart since the drums beating for war on Iran remain loud, and many of the same fraudsters are involved. Also consider he not once mentions PNAC or the Israel Lobby or group of very influential neocon messengers in Bush Jr’s administration and the pro-war think tanks and mainstream media.

• Citizen – - Thanks for the link to Andrew Sullivan’s piece, confessing his bad judgment in 2003. Quote (from Sullivan’s March 3, 2003 article promoting the US invasion of Iraq: “It’s time to retire the frayed notion that somehow we cannot go to war against Saddam and al Qaeda at the same time.” Stupidity, frankly, on epic scale. In fact, Osama bin Laden wanted Saddam Hussein assassinated.

6. MHughes976 says:

I made the same mistake. I suppose I too could claim good faith but I’m not sure it was all that good. I could see, who couldn’t, that Colin Powell’s speech was both utter rubbish and utterly insincere. My nearest thing to an excuse was that I heard reports of some Iraqi students in our area (reports: I never met any of them face to face) who were saying that ‘nothing could be worse than Saddam’. It wasn’t enough, of course. It was much worse than not enough.
    Now things have come to such a pass that we’re making allies of al-Q anti-Assadists in Syria. I say ‘we’ with some feeling because it seems to be the UK government that is most vocal in this folly.

• MHughes976 – - Colin Powell claims he was misled, if not duped. This may well be what happened.
      UK wanted to improve relations with Syria, after the new gov’t came in. Civil War very sad.