Truth hurts: 25 Palestinian social media activists detained for ‘incitement’

Graphic: virtualjerusalem.com

Graphic: virtualjerusalem.com

Last Thursday Israel rounded up 25 Palestinian activists because of their social media postings on Facebook, and it didn’t warrant a blurp in the mainstream press. The activists were  hauled off after their homes were raided in East Jerusalem, due to their Facebook postings.

Nasser Qous, head of Jerusalem’s Palestinian Prisoner Club said the activists  were charged with “incitement“. Fifteen were let go. The other 10, not so lucky.

Ma’an News:

Nasser Qous, head of the Jerusalem branch of the Palestinian Prisoners Society, told official news agency Wafa that Israeli forces raided the homes of 25 Palestinian activists and detained them on charges of “incitement” due to their posts on Facebook.

Israeli police also seized their computers.

Fifteen of the activists were later released and 10 will be brought before an Israeli court, Qous said.

In October, Haifa resident Razi al-Nabulsi, 23, was arrested and kept under house arrest for a week as a result of Facebook posts Israeli authorities argued constituted “incitement.”

Lawyer Aram Mahameed explained that the charges stemmed from “a number of comments on al-Nabulsi’s Facebook page concerning issues like normalization (with the State of Israel), as well as the Prawer Plan,” a proposed Israeli plan that if carried out with displace 40,000 Bedouins from the southern Negev.

This is info warfare, and the truth hurts Israel, because hasbara can’t fight descriptions of the unending occupation. The internet is the one battlefield where Israel’s brand is sinking like a stone.

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 32 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Refaat says:

israel is a state in demise, like all previous barbaric powers, except that israel is deteriorating at a much, much faster pace!

2. amigo says:

This is the ugly face of the Israel that Mahane Y loves so much.

“I love you Israel!!! I love you, the people of Israel!!!”mahane

link to mondoweiss.net

Come on mahane , give us your pitch on this.

• @Amigo:

I have to tell you two things:

First, In the thread that you linked in your comment, one member named “justpassingby” uploaded a video shows demonstration against the bad treatment of the African refugees by the government of Israel. Several Israeli racists “jumped” on this demonstration and declared racist declaration against the African refugees. In response, I uploaded two videos show Israeli volunteers help the African refugees in many different ways. I did it to show the other side of the Israeli society, the nice side. In response you wrote “All I see is one Israeli giving food to another”. So, I assume you pretend that you don’t understand my comments or you just don’t bother yourself to watch the videos.

Second, I participate in this web site, I think, in one out of ten or even twenty threads. I don’t participate in threads that I don’t know the details or I have no opinion about the subject. When I see that I have something to add to this thread, I will do it.

And, yes, I love Israel and I love the people of Israel.

• amigo says:

“And, yes, I love Israel and I love the people of Israel.”mahane.

As I said before , there is no accounting for taste.

“First, In the thread that you linked in your comment, one member named “justpassingby” uploaded a video shows demonstration against the bad treatment of the African refugees by the government of Israel. Several Israeli racists “jumped” on this demonstration and declared racist declaration against the African refugees. In response, I uploaded two videos show Israeli volunteers help the African refugees in many different ways. I did it to show the other side of the Israeli society, the nice side.”mahane

Israel,s good side is way outnumbered by it,s bad side and no ammount of hasbara on your part will change that.

• @Amigo:

“Israel’s good side is way outnumbered by it’s bad side and no amount of Hasbara on your part will change that.”

Well, I didn’t check this “fact”, but assuming that you are correct, it is only because Israel is always under glass magnifier (or, more correct, under electron microscope), and many people document any racist event, racist declaration, racist attack etc. Not many do efforts to document the nice side of the Israeli society: Tens of human rights organizations, youth organizations, volunteers among African and Palestinian refugees, volunteers among disadvantaged people, among ill people etc. Just read the comment section in MW to realize that most of the anti-Israeli sources that are cited here are actually Israeli sources.

• amigo says:

“Well, I didn’t check this “fact”, but assuming that you are correct, it is only because Israel is always under glass magnifier (or, more correct, under electron microscope), and many people document any racist event, racist declaration, racist attack etc. Not many do efforts to document the nice side of the Israeli society:”my

In normal societies people do not go around documenting what is considered the nice side of their society.Only desperate apologists like you mehane stoop to that.

“I see the elections in Israel as the real and best poll. If you check the results of the latest municipal election, you will find that the Israeli-Palestinians didn’t vote for the radical candidates, but to moderate candidates call for the integration of the Arabs in the Israeli society.”mehane

Really, then explain who voted in a City Mayor who brags he has no Gays in his city.

See my post below.

Your society is run by racist leaders and you are too blind or rather brainwashed to see it.

• Shingo says:

On the contrary. It is only because Israel has been given a pass and being indulged for so long – exploiting the Holocaust and anti-semtism card way past it’s used by date every step of the way – that the sudden attention it is receiving is making it’s apologists so anxious.

And the sad fact is that the Israeli government is persecution these organizations and delegitimizing them and perscuting them.

While those Israeli sources deserve credit, your argument that this proves Israel is not a racist or apartheid society is absurd.

I see the elections in Israel as the real and best poll.

I could not agree more and the elected government of Israel is made up of the most racist, extremist, right wing coalition the country has ever seen.

• amigo says:

“And, yes, I love Israel and I love the people of Israel.”MY

Do you love this Israeli Mahane and what is your view on Israeli Gays.

Do be honest and answer the question and don,t prevaricate.

“No gays in my town, thank God’ says Orthodox mayor of Beit Shemesh

“Abutbul, who was reelected mayor of Beit Shemesh three weeks ago, also said, “We have none of those things [gays] here. Thank God, this city is holy and pure.”

link to haaretz.com

More of your beautiful Israel.

• @Amigo: I have no problem with LGBT people, any one is free to chooses his way of life.

Until I read your comment, I didn’t know who is Abutbul, the mayor of Bet Shemesh. I am not responsible for any declaration.

In general, Amigo, there are racists in Israel. But I don’t think more than any European country and no more than among the Palestinians. the problem is that you do all efforts to search after those racists and after any fringe racist declaration, and label us, the entire Israelis, as racist society. The Israeli society in general, is very open, tolerant and free society. Just to remind you that most of the videos and sources that you all bring in this web site show racist Israelis, are Israeli sources made by anti-racism Israelis.

• jon s says:

According to the mw profile, Amigo is Irish.

• Bumblebye says:

Mahane
          In comment after comment, you have shown yourself to be completely oblivious to the racism of your state and its people! But then, it’s not aimed at you, nor is it going to be the topic of every conversation you have. Your racism is far beyond the ‘free speech’ label, it is enshrined in many laws and spouted by your local and national politicians with impunity. The only racism that gets called out by most of the zionists on this site is that ‘perceived’ in other commenters as ‘anti-semitism’ or the twisting of aggrieved Palestinian victims of zionism into anti-semitism!

• seafoid says:

“But I don’t think more than any European country and no more than among the Palestinians”

Hey Mahane guys

You should all come to Europe sometime. Our kids go to Amsterdam when they’re 18. Not Auschwitz.

• @Bumblebye:

I always stated that there are racists in Israel (see my first comments in my profile), a fact that I can’t ignore, but I don’t think more than other places on this planet. I think my two comments to Amigo summarize my views and I have no more to add about this issue.

• @seafoid: If you have something against visits of israelis in Auschwitz, I will be glad if you explain me the reason of that. Telegraphic comments doesn’t contribute to any discussion.

• @MahaneYehude1

This statement is inaccurate.

There are racists in all countries, but only in Israel (among all democratic industrialized countries) do they get a free pass and even the State’s support.

Just to cite an example, in 2010 some 39 rabbis signed an edict calling on their followers not to rent houses to Arabs. These racists haven’t been prosecuted. Not only that; they even get paid by the State. I challenge you to cite a single European country where a similar outrage takes place.

• amigo says:

“Amigo, I don’t know where are you from (USA?), but I sure that if you search for racism in your country, you will find many racist events and racist declarations, no less than in Israel.”mahane .

We have racists in Ireland but we do not have city Mayors running around bragging about their gay free city.They would end up in jail, unlike Israel where they roam free.

Also in Ireland we have civil Marriage and do not have to run off to another country to get married.

Mahane , you are way out of line trying to compare Ireland to Israel.We have nothing in common with your racist led occupation Nation.

We are a democracy where all are treated equally.

Nice try though.

• Shingo says:

Not only that, but Israel has over 30 blatantly racist laws, so racism in written into the political and social fabric of Israel.

This is pure apartheid.

• jon s says:

Shingo,

“Section of 5 in the Law of Political Parties and section 7A of the Basic Law alone Stipulates that any party platform that calls for full and complete equality between Jews and non-Jews, can be disqualified from any political post. The law demands that Palestinian Arab citizens may not challenge the state’s Zionist identity.”

The law says no such thing.

• jon s says:

This is what the law says:

7A. A candidates’ list shall not participate in elections to the Knesset if its objects or actions, expressly or by implication, include one of the following:

(1) negation of the existence of the State of Israel as the state of the Jewish people;

(2) negation of the democratic character of the State;

(3) incitement to racism.”.

Source:
          link to knesset.gov.il

• Shingo says:

The law says no such thing.

Yes it does.

If the State of Israel is the state of the Jewish people, then it’s clearly not the state of non Jewish people, thus negating full and complete equality between Jews and non-Jews.

And yes, it clearly demands that Palestinian Arab citizens may not challenge the state’s Zionist identity.

There is no dispute.

3. Israel destroys itself.

4. amigo says:

Shell- Don Adelson is allowed to call for genocide with impunity and Palestinians condemning Ethnic Cleansing are accused of incitement.

Yes , Israel is beautiful if you are a blind brainwashed lobotomized zio freak.

To normal humans Israel is the devil incarnate.

Apologies to the devil.

• jon s says:

Amigo, despite your demonization, Israel is a country with normal people, some bad, mostly good. It’s a pretty good place to live , it’s home to me and to many others (like mahane yehuda1), wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

• seafoid says:

Every country has normal people, Jon. Israelis are the same as people anywhere else. But their system is different. It’s built on state violence and indoctrination. And it isn’t even vaguely sustainable.

You’re probably upper percentile and have your own ways around the system but poor Israeli Jews have no chance.

• amigo says:

” It’s a pretty good place to live , it’s home to me and to many others (like mahane yehuda1), wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.”jon s

Like I said before , there is no accounting for taste.

• talknic says:

jon s ” Israel .. “ Internationally recognized only as it asked to be recognized link to trumanlibrary.org

“… It’s a pretty good place to live , it’s home to me and to many others (like mahane yehuda1), wouldn’t want to live anywhere else”

So why are so many illegal settlers living in non-Israeli territory

5. piotr says:

The same could happen in a European democratic state, e.g. Belorus. Perhaps also in Russia and Ukraine, but actually I do not recall any similar incident. But in the region, such detentions are quite the norm. Are they following Israel’s beacon to nations, or Israel harmonizes her norms with Egypt and states of Persian Gulf?

6. RE: “Last Thursday Israel rounded up 25 Palestinian activists because of their social media postings on Facebook” ~ Annie Robbins

REGARDING ISRAEL AND SAUDI ARABIA’S “SHARED VALUES”, NOTE THE FOLLOWING.
    “Saudi Arabia: 7 Convicted for Facebook Postings About Protests”, Human Rights Watch, 6/30/13

[EXCERPT] Saudi Arabia sentenced seven government critics to prison on June 24, 2013, for allegedly inciting protests and harming public order, largely by using Facebook. The Specialized Criminal Court sentenced the men, all from the Kingdom’s Eastern Province, to prison terms ranging from five to 10 years and barred them from travelling abroad for additional periods.

The European Union’s High Representative Catherine Ashton and EU member states’ representatives, who are meeting with their Gulf region counterparts in Bahrain on June 30, should condemn the convictions, Human Rights Watch said.

“Sending people off to years in prison for peaceful Facebook posts sends a strong message that there’s no safe way to speak out in Saudi Arabia, even on online social networks,” said Joe Stork, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. “If the EU doesn’t raise these cases with Saudi officials this weekend, its silence will look like craven compliance with the rights abuses of an authoritarian state.”

Saudi authorities arrested the men between September 23 and 26, 2011, then detained them in the General Investigations Prison in Damman for a year and a half before charging them and putting them on trial on April 29. They were tried before the Specialized Criminal Court, set up in 2008 to deal with terrorism-related cases. Authorities did not accuse the seven of directly participating in protests, and the court failed to investigate their allegations that intelligence officers tortured them into signing confessions. . .

SOURCE – link to hrw.org

7. seafoid says:

Incitement my ass. Israel has ZERO soft power. Everything is done at gunpoint.
    Respect can’t be won thus. They are so afraid.

8. seafoid says:

How about this for incitement?

link to haaretz.com