Happy new year from Mondoweiss

A Mondoweiss report of comments made by Sheldon Adelson was picked up by news outlets around the world.

A 2013 Highlight: Mondoweiss report on Sheldon Adelson picked up by news outlets around the world.

Thank you for another wonderful year of Mondoweiss. In what has become somewhat of a yearly tradition around these parts, here is a rundown of some of our site stats from the past year (and here are the year-end roundups from 20122011 and 2010). In 2013 Mondoweiss had:

• 8.3 million page views
  • 5.1 million visitors
  • 2,832 posts
  • 90,000 comments

And here are the top 15 most viewed posts published in 2013*:

15. Adelson says Obama should fire ‘atomic weapon’ at Iran, not negotiate by Philip Weiss

14. Just because you like bubbly water, you don’t have to buy into occupation: A guide to alternatives to SodaStream by Henry Norr

13. BBC to censor violinist Nigel Kennedy’s statement about Israeli apartheid from TV broadcast by Tom Suarez

12. Do’s and don’ts for progressives discussing Syria by Ramah Kudaimi

11. Israeli pours putrid skunk gas over homes in occupied Palestine by Philip Weiss

10. Mohammed Assaf IS Arab Idol!!! by Annie Robbins

9. Natalie Portman and Woody Allen see anti-Semitism as pervasive by Philip Weiss

8. Attack in Tel Aviv: ‘Jewish girls do not go out with Blacks!’ by David Sheen

7. Dershowitz calls Hawking an ‘ignoramus,’ a ‘lemming,’ and likely an anti-Semite by Philip Weiss

6. Zombie Hasbara: ‘World War Z’ and Hollywood’s Zionist embrace by Jesse Benjamin

5. Obama told friends he reneged on progressive promises out of fear of assassination — former CIA analyst by Philip Weiss

4. Amina Tyler’s naked activism by @WomanUnveiled

3. ‘The bra is a security threat’: Harassment and interrogation at Ben Gurion airport by Anonymous

2. Palestinian-American student denied entry to Israel after being told, ‘there is no such thing as Palestine’ by Yara Karmalawy

1. The reviews are in: ‘Zero Dark Thirty makes me hate muslims’ by Adam Horowitz

* Special mention to Annie Robbin’s post Joseph and Mary can’t make it to Bethlehem, on Banksy’s Christmas card, which actually was the most viewed post of the past year — over 168,000 views! – although it was published in 2012.

Thanks again for all your support and see you in 2014!

About Adam Horowitz, Scott Roth and Philip Weiss

Adam Horowitz and Philip Weiss are Co-Editors, and Scott Roth is Publisher, of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in Beyondoweiss

{ 63 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Happy new years Mondoweiss!

I always wondered about your site stats, wow those numbers are impressing, imagine where these stats are in lets say 3 years.

• Krauss says:

Yes, happy new year’s everyone.

I did notice, however, that both traffic, comments and unique visitors went down in 2013 compared to 2012.
      I think a large part of the reason was because 2012 was an election year.
      And Israel featured more prominently than ever in 2012, Sheldon Adelson especially after having more or less bought Romney’s campaign, than in any other election.

If anything I am surprised the fall was so slight, so miniscule. A better comparison is the 2011-2013 period and we see very strong growth.
      I don’t think it will be a stretch to say that we will probably surpass the 2013 numbers in 2014.

• Krauss

Interesting, where did you find those numbers from 2012?

2. MHughes976 says:

Happy New Year indeed. There should be plenty to discuss. I share justpassingby’s sense that the statistics are impressive and will improve, ie we’re edging into the mainstream. There is an audience for genuine anti-racism!

3. Happy new year, Mondoweiss!!!

!!!كل عام وانتم بخير٫ موندوـوايس

!!!שנה טובה, מונדו-ווייס

• Walid says:

!!!كل عام وانتم بخير٫ موندوـوايس

Mahane, how come you write Arabic?

• Taxi says:

Mahane is particularly skilled at Google Translate, Walid.

• @Taxi:

Mahane is particularly skilled at Google Translate, Walid.

Taxi, please, write MondoWeiss at “Google Translate”, translate it to Arabic and tell me what you receive. I already told you, Ana 3arabi Zayek!!! (I am an Arab like you!!!).

• Taxi says:

Mahane,

Yeah a few dicky zionists have mistaken me for an Arab cuz I’m visiting the Lebanon. I’d be honored to be an Arab, except I’m from Sth Cal. In fact, I’d be honored to be any nationality, except israeli (yikes, quick, perish the thought!).

And I’ve just had to ask my “Arabic” cook what the word “Zayek” means. Apparently, it’s Egyptian slang for “same as you”. I guess all them mossad language classes have paid off for you huh.

You must realize by now that not a word you say is believable to me. You read like a very polite liar. Mehane, you and I have NOTHING in common – and we probably never will either.

• German Lefty says:

Mahane, how come you write Arabic?

Oh, he once wrote that he’s an Arab Jew.

• @Walid:

I thought you know. I speak, read and write Arabic quit well. I also interest in Islam and have good basic knowledge. I learnt Arabic by myself (at home, my parents talked Hebrew and Aramaic (special dialect of Kurdish Jews from North Iraq)).

• amigo says:

“I thought you know. I speak, read and write Arabic quit well. I also interest in Islam and have good basic knowledge.”mahane 1,2 or 3?????.

Ok mahane, which of the three stooges are we dealing with today.

Today, your English is atrocious.

• I thought you know. I speak, read and write Arabic quit well. I also interest in Islam

and how would you assess your english?

• @Annie:

and how would you assess your English?

Well, about my English, it is sometimes quit well and sometimes is quite well.
            :-)

• Woody Tanaka says:

“Well, about my English, it is sometimes quit well and sometimes is quite well.”

Wow, MY1 can make sophisticated jokes based on minor changes in English spelling, when just FOUR SHORT MONTHS ago, the best he could muster was:

“I am not Nakba denial and don’t want others deny it.”

Amazing…

• Bumblebye says:

If TeamMahane is a family enterprise, and if the SpudWagon is a family business, then everything one Mahane says is more or less true of the other(s). Maybe that’s how it works?

• Walid says:

Hi Taxi, the well wishes for the new year are easy to get, but what I found odd was his perfect writing of the word “Mondoweiss”; Google can’t write in in Arabic.

• Walid says:

Mahane, how do Hebrew and Aramaic have anything to do with Arabic?

• @Walid:

Mahane, how do Hebrew and Aramaic have anything to do with Arabic?

I wrote in parentheses “(at home, my parents talked Hebrew and Aramaic (special dialect of Kurdish Jews from North Iraq))”, meaning that my Arabic is not from my home, but I learnt it by my self.

• Walid says:

“… my Arabic is not from my home, but I learnt it by my self.”

May I know why?

• eljay says:

>> Mahane, how come you write Arabic?

His family’s homeland was Iraq.

• @Walid:

May I know why?

I see the Arabic culture as part of my life. Although my parents spoke Hebrew and Aramaic, I was exposed to Arabic culture when I was child. My father used to listen every day to music of Om Kalthoum, Abd Al-Wahab, Nazem Al-Ghazali and others and, of course, we watched films from Arab world, mainly Egyptians, broadcasted in the Israeli TV each Friday afternoon. During Ramadan, we watched films of the Syrian actor Doret Laham (Rawar) broadcasted in Jordan TV. This gave me good basis in the language. Later, with my relations with Arabs in Jerusalem, I started to strengthen my Arabic including writing and reading. I love the culture and still listen the beautiful music, read history etc.

4. bintbiba says:

Happy New Year to all the Team at Mondoweiss. Going from strength to strength.
    Very impressive report.

5. Daniel Rich says:

Am already 7 hours into it and as far as I can see it, 2014 looks good.

Happy New Year.

6. Walid says:

Happy New Year to everyone at Mondoweiss.

7. Woody Tanaka says:

Happy New Year everyone.

8. yrn says:

Happy new year and Peace in the ME

9. eljay says:

Best wishes to everyone for a healthy and Happy 2014! May we all see the end of the supremacist “Jewish State” – and the blossoming of justice and equality in Palestine – before too long.

10. Danaa says:

Happy New Year to all resident Hasbara Trolls too!

Without you the Comments board would not be what it is (honest! we need you…well. some of you – like 2-3 would be enough? IDF hasbara unit – please hold some back for a rainy day, OK? like fnlevit (of the no fun-low-wit fame…), may be? Let’s admit it – the trolls may suck up some O2 but they sure deliver CO2 and sulphuric acid rain aplenty. Yes, the environment gets toxic sometimes – but what a clean-up crew! wow! (not enough space here for all the great minds lurking herein and I’d sure hate to leave any out. So no names – for now…).

And while on the topic of trolls – there are those we see and those we [mercifully] don’t. hail to the chiefs and EHNY (Extra Happy New Year) to all the hard working Mods. Atta boys and girls…

And Phil, Adam, Annie, Alex, Allison et al – can we pretty please have the green highlights back? we have been so good! and it was so hard to be so!

11. Danaa says:

And may 2014 herald the long awaited ROS (Return-of-Mooser)… those 90.000 comments are just not the same without you.

Cheers and HNY to all absentees too. Once a favorite, always a favorite – present or absent – for good reasons, not-so-good and no reasons at all.

12. Bumblebye says:

Happy New Year from Merrie Olde Englande! Big Ben is about to strike.
    May 2014 be the best ever for the forward movement of the Palestinian cause!
    And everyone here, CHEERS!

13. ritzl says:

Great work Mondoweiss. Happy New Year everyone! Hope it’s the best ever…

Peace!!

14. Citizen says:

Best wishes to all in the coming New Year! (Gee, wonder if I’ll make it another year…)

15. Dutch says:

Happy New Year to all – may peace be your companion in the year to come!

16. Thanks for all your hard work, thoughtful research and sheer dedication. Hope to have some $$$ to contribute to mondoweiss in 2014.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• seafoid says:

Israel is a year deeper into ethnocentric madness and a year closer to the cliff.
      2832 posts is very impressive. Allah y’ateekum al afya.

17. Amsterdam says:

Happy New Year everyone! Keep up the good work, Mondoweiss!

18. miriam6 says:

Please bring back the green line!

• libra says:

Please bring back the green line!

Sounds like a desperate plea from the future when the full implications of stealing Palestine finally dawn on the Israelis.

• miriam6 says:

libra@;

I would guess the Native Americans dearly wish that THEY could turn back the clock and stop the Mayflower in its tracks thus stopping a bunch of aggressive foreigner’s from STEALING Native American land – and massive tracts of land too.

In the future political Zionism will fall away and Israel + Palestine will be re-united into one entity – Arab and Jew will live together relatively peacefully -

19. American says:

Happy New Year

‘Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And never brought to mind?
    Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And auld lang syne!

For auld lang syne, my dear,
    For auld lang syne.
    We’ll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
    For auld lang syne’

Robert Burns-Scotland

• ziusudra says:

Greetings American,
      … Auld Lang Syne……
      Germanic old anglo saxon of:
      old long ‘gone’ of the past participle To Be
      (Sein in German); old & long gone of things that were.
      Happy New Year, MW & all contributors.
      ziusudra

20. Taxi says:

A crabby and migraine-filled year to all you ziobots out there!

I just want to remind you, in the loudest possible way, that we, the resistors of zionism are growing steadily in numbers every year, while you, racist war criminals and Apartheid lovers, are shrinking pathetically and getting backed-up into your dingy corner. Soon enough, your despicable ideology will be consigned to the lavatories of history.

Eff you every day of the year!

21. tree says:

Happy New Year Everyone!

22. Ellen says:

Thank you Mondoweiss and all. May peace and health and happiness spread.

And may those who work for racist, self centered, destructive causes such as the the continuation of Zionist soon look back and think, “what was that all about, for what were we fighting others?”

May you grow beyond the isolation from indoctrination and find yourselves at home in the family of man. Peace especially for you.

23. Talkback says:

Happy New Year to all here at Mondoweiss – staff and commenters.

24. amigo says:

Happy New Year to all lovers of peace and equality.

The rest can stew in their own hatred and bigotry,We all know who they are.

25. Henry Norr says:

I’m not sure this is the right place for this question, but I can’t think of a better one, so here goes: why does MW have a picture of Kerry, Abbas, and (if I’m remembering correctly) Netanyahu on the pop-up screen that solicits donations for the site? Is it supposed to be some kind of joke? I have to say I don’t get it.

In any case, best wishes to all – or anyway most – for a better year in 2014!

26. puppies says:

@bumblebye (no reply button)
    “If TeamMahane is a family enterprise”
    Some family. At the head of the table the salaried supervisor, at the corners the subgroup supervisors, in-between the Mahane Yehudis at their government-issued laptops. In the back, the Secretary’s door. He is on the phone with his direct boss the Yahoo.

• Bumblebye says:

puppies
      nah. Maybe in their training days, but TeamMahane’s too old – I’m thinking semi-retired, boosting the pension per comment, perhaps. ‘He’ says the kids have done their IDF time, and he’s not at the market every day…
      Unless, alternatively, one could consider a Family of the mafia nature…
      Or, aspirational ‘they’ are saving their HasbaraSquad shekels to upgrade the SpudWagon, the next one will be run on the alcohol they ferment from the unsellable spuds, and MW readers visiting next year will see them catering to outdoor events, flogging their hot potatoes!

27. mcohen says:

Happy new year too you guys

Hows the weather doing in new york phil

Hope you took my advice and got out the shovel,looks like you will need it

Obama the sandman and kerry the snowman sailing the winds of change