Introducing Mondoweiss In Print: ‘The World the Settlers Made’

Features
Cover_image_for_Shopify_large

Cover of “The World the Settlers Made”

“I learned more about Israel in these five days in Palestine than in any other trips I’ve made.”

Mondoweiss is excited to share our first foray into the world of print, Phil Weiss’s reportage from Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.

“The World the Settlers Made” tells the story of five days in January 2016 that Phil Weiss spent immersed in the world of Israeli settlers. The experience gave him a vivid, immediate experience of their daily lives, and a greater understanding of their worldview. His writing here undertakes to convey to the rest of us the blinders—and the insights—of those he visited.

“The World the Settlers Made” includes 21 pages of Phil’s reports from the occupied territories, along with exclusive new material and original photography.

This book is now available for sale, and is an exciting extension of Mondoweiss’s thought-provoking and unique reporting. We hope to expand this line by publishing future collections of Mondoweiss highlights to bring our work to a wider audience.

For orders of 20 or more copies use the discount code “bulkorder” for a 15% discount. Orders will ship via USPS within 5 business days.

Order “The World the Settlers Made” here:

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. oldgeezer
    April 5, 2016, 11:55 am

I would be interested in this book for sure. Can I make a suggestion though? How about offering it for free for site donations of (say) 40/50 dollars or more?

• amigo
      April 5, 2016, 12:09 pm

Excellent suggestion OG but MW should hold of on that idea until Hopknee and co have had a chance to buy at 6,60.Fat chance they would give 40 dollars to read the truth.Second thoughts , I am not sure hasbara central would approve even if it was cost free.

• eljay
        April 5, 2016, 12:21 pm

|| amigo: … I am not sure hasbara central would approve even if it was cost free. ||

• oldgeezer
        April 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Oh I didn’t mean instead of selling it per copy. I meant as an additional way to acquire it. I feel cheap at 6.60. Nothing stopping me from making a donation as well as a purchase so the onus is on me.

That said I just tried to order it and it’s not working for me on firefox 45.0.1 ….. Buy now just ends with the message your cart is empty.

• amigo
        April 5, 2016, 1:14 pm

“I feel cheap at 6.60. ” OG

I had the same thought until I saw the freight cost was more than the book.

I suspect Phil and Adam and co want to get as many copies out there as possible , hence the lower price.

• eljay
        April 5, 2016, 1:29 pm

|| amigo: … I had the same thought until I saw the freight cost was more than the book. … ||

Freight / shipping is more than the book for us (Canadians), too, but we’ve also got the lousy exchange rate to deal with… :-(

;-)

• amigo
        April 5, 2016, 1:31 pm

“I imagine H.C. would enjoy distributing a free copy of the book to each of its Zio-bots and filming him/her doing all sorts of nasty, Captain Israel-inspired things to his/her copy.”Eljay

Sometimes I overlook the depths zionists will stoop to.Thanks for getting me back on track.

• Tova Perlmutter
        April 5, 2016, 2:28 pm

oldgeezer, did you manage to get the cart working by using another browser? I am trying to figure out whether we have a major problem or just a minor glitch. If you want to send me details of the difficulty, you can find my email address on the About page.

• oldgeezer
        April 5, 2016, 2:52 pm

@Tova

I haven’t tried yet. If the actual sale is taking place through a third party site then it’s probably my settings blocking it. I will try it with my least secure browser later and get back to you one way or the other :)

• Tova Perlmutter
      April 5, 2016, 2:26 pm

Thanks for thinking about how best to get the word out, oldgeezer!

I know that Mondoweiss has used that kind of premium in the past, and we did consider it for this item as well. There are several reasons we didn’t want to go that way this time, but we will continue to think about options like this for the future for sure.

• oldgeezer
        April 5, 2016, 3:46 pm

It worked fine for with with google chrome. I don’t think it’s a browser issue as much as the blocking of 3rd party cookies that I normally do with firefox.

2. amigo
    April 5, 2016, 11:57 am

I am really looking forward to reading this. Hope you sell millions of them but one for every illegal settler would be a good start.

Hopefully mine makes it to the republic of Ireland before we get the North back.

3. eljay
    April 5, 2016, 12:01 pm

Order placed. :-)

4. Annie Robbins
    April 5, 2016, 12:19 pm

I love my copy! it’s so awesome and it’s on my coffee table in the middle of my living room. ;)

• amigo
      April 5, 2016, 1:42 pm

Annie, Can I suggest you look into the freight cost to Europe as I think MW may be under charging.I recently had a package , (sent from Nevada to Ireland) –it weighed only 5lbs and was 18 inches x 12 x 3 and cost almost 70 dollars.It was shipped by the US Postal service , maybe that,s the problem but $7,50 for the book seems low by comparison.

MW may be working through an agent so it,s their problem.Just thought I,d mention it.

• Tova Perlmutter
        April 5, 2016, 2:32 pm

Thanks for that info, amigo. We are using the USPS as well, and I believe we’re passing on the full cost to us of postage plus a small handling fee to pay the movement activist who is helping us fulfill the orders. But I’ll check to make sure we’ve got the cost right. (Our booklet is only about 1/4 lb I believe, so that might be part of it.)

5. dfmz
    April 5, 2016, 1:25 pm

I was getting ready to give you my 6$, until I noticed that there was no Kindle or eBook (pdf) option.

Wake me up when you adjust to the 21st century please.

• Tova Perlmutter
      April 5, 2016, 2:35 pm

Thanks for this suggestion, dfmz. We could potentially make a pdf available. Since the text for the booklet comes from posts on MW, we thought that anyone purchasing would be doing so in order to have high-quality photos and a hard-copy product for showing friends.

In order to help us figure out whether a pdf edition makes sense, could you tell me what you think a reasonable charge would be? If others want to chime in on whether you’d be interested in purchasing a pdf that would be helpful as well. Thanks, all.

6. Bornajoo
    April 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

Ordered! I agree with Amigo. Very low shipping cost to London. Looking forward to receiving it

7. DaBakr
    April 5, 2016, 10:33 pm

Oh.. Now you can complain about the msm not only ignoring the polemic propaganda of trust fund enfant terrible maxB, seed of hilary advisor sydB, but ignoring your work as well.

I however will give it a shot if I ever come across it. I like too keep abreast of the new crop of revisionist propaganda coming out on the heels of the dynamic trio of outcast oddball opportunist historian’s: pappe , atzmon and shlaim,(& less occasionally morris).

I like how the “5 days” spent east of the green line informed you more then any other single trip to Israel. So surprising. but let’s just leave it at, im open. skeptical but open. Me owner pw has always remained a few notches above the dregs of most of his regular groupies.

• bryan
      April 6, 2016, 6:12 am

You are obviously far better read on revisionist historiography than I am. I have never heard of a historian called Atzmon – perhaps you could cite one of his works, or mention which university post he holds? Avi Shlaim is immensely respected within International Relations, as reflected in his professorship at Oxford, and his membership of the Royal Academy. Pappe is well-respected but a little more controversial because of his political activism, and has thus not been immune from criticism by intellectual heavyweights like Camera.

P.S. I have heard of an Atzmon who was a saxophonist in a punk band – but surely you are not so ill-informed, ill-read and ignorant as to include him along with the other two?

April 6, 2016, 12:39 pm

“I have heard of an Atzmon who was a saxophonist in a punk band”

Well, here’s something a little more historical (in form and content) from Atzmon. Moanin’

• bryan
        April 7, 2016, 7:18 am

(1) some idiot could claim that “I like too [sic] keep abreast of the new crop of revisionist propaganda” whilst clearly demonstrating that he had not the first clue what he was talking about [i.e. including Atzmon as a historian, and claiming this was a new crop].
        (2) the same idiot could claim that these were “outcast, oddball and opportunist” without producing an iota of evidence for such an irrelevant ad hominem slur against a man of outstanding scholarly credentials. Anyone who reads Shlaim’s “The Iron Wall” will at the very least concede that the work is wonderfully narrated but also deeply scholarly (*) Pappe’s areas of interest are more controversial but his writings are based on a deep knowlege of Israeli and other archives, and anyone who has followed his contributions to interviews and debates will at the very least concede that he is honest and principled, even while they might argue he is mistaken in some of his beliefs.
        (3) the same worthless piece of excrement, having gratuitously insulted these two fine and principled man (and also the Blumenthals), finishes his diatribe by denouncing his fellow contributors to this site as “dregs” and “groupies” – and all this just because his personal prejudices and fantasies are out of kilter with modern perception and recent scholarship.
        Typical Zionist – assassinate the messenger, if you find the message offends your own bigotry.

(*) Philip Ziegler: “Shlaim knows as much as anyone about the relationship between Israel and the Arab world… impressively fair and open-minded… he analyses the past 50 years with lucidity and an admirable sense of proportion”.
        (*) Arnold Wesker: “the brilliant young Israeli historian … who I fear may scuttle some cherished views”
        (*) Professor Richard Ullman (Princeton): “a work of impeccable scholarship… controversial, searchingly objective”

April 7, 2016, 5:32 pm

“Mooser – do not make light of this: when I commented I was angry, and I still am. Because?”

Yes, I can see why it makes you angry.
        And I think Atzmon makes his best use of his fingers and his mouths, by keeping them firmly attached to an instrument.

• Annie Robbins
        April 7, 2016, 5:52 pm

bryan, this propaganda tactic is very common and has a name – false equivalency. i wrote about it here:

what conversation do you think are we in hops. you responded to subconscious’s comment about attacks on Shlaim, Pappé, Finkelstein, Hedy Epstein. then you went on to buttress the rationale, with an explanation of that attack, did you not?

…….I didn’t throw Atzmon in for effect….Atzmon main argument is to blame Judaism for the ills of the world…

hmm, ok. in a comment responding to accusations against 4 people you say “Critiques of Israel by Jewish radicals have long strayed into bald anti-Jewish critiques that would be labeled as antisemitism if anyone else made them” and then reference 2 different ‘jewish radical’ than the ones up for discussion, to what purpose if not to make an analogous point?

this is called a false equivalence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

more at the comment link

8. Eva Smagacz
    April 6, 2016, 3:50 am

Tried to buy the book, using Chrome on iPhone 6S Plus. When I pressed “Checkout” it took me to the blank page and I have to clear cookies and restart Chrome to recover the use of browser.

• Tova Perlmutter
      April 6, 2016, 8:56 am

Thanks for that information, Eva. We’ll look into the glitch from this end. Please let me know if you manage to make the purchase (or if you have any more details on difficulty doing so).

9. James Michie
    April 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Again, and in good humor, I’ll point out that the title of this piece would have been far more accurate and appropriate if it read: “The Land That Settlers Stole.”

10. Boomer
    April 6, 2016, 11:14 am

I’ll look forward to seeing the book. I wonder if it contains a map? Recently an article at “Informed Comment” featured a map of Occupied Palestine which, if I interpret it correctly, shows that Israel has effectively confined and consigned Palestinians to numerous small, disconnected reservations, while appropriating most of the land for “settlement regional councils.” If that is so, then I can understand why Philip and others here say that the time for a “two state solution” has passed.

If this is true, the the future seems bleak for Palestinians. If (due to U.S. support for Israel’s policies) the world could not get Israel to accept a two-state solution, I don’t see how it can get Israel to accept Palestinians as full and equal citizens.

To see the map, scroll down a bit here:

11. MHughes976
    April 6, 2016, 11:36 am

A very interesting map, recalling what George Bush called a Swiss cheese Palestine – and did not regard as satisfactory. If you want to remove a population gradually enclaves fit your bill.

12. Kathleen
    April 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Settlers just sounds so cozy. We all know that is not the case Will certainly read.

The New York media “elite” are sure going after Sanders. Hope Sanders adds that term “media elite” back into his lexicon. “Political, corporate and media elite” Had been incorporated in his speeches for awhile. Hope he puts it back in.

This morning on MSNBC’s Morning Joe Mika and Joe opened up their conversation with Clinton with the New York Daily headline focused on Bernie, Sandy Hook, and guns. Not on Bernie’s win in Wisconsin.

Again allowed Clinton to skate on her horrific war record.

Mika did ask Clinton about how she planned to try to win over the massive amounts of young people supporting Bernie if she won the nomination. At least Clinton has quit smirking.

What many of these talking heads just do not get is that Bernie represents many values and a record that Clinton does not have. Just start with not accepting Super Pac money and go from there

13. bintbiba
    April 9, 2016, 12:58 pm

I ordered Phil’s book 3 days ago and it is already on its way to London.
    Awaiting it with anticipation !

• gamal
      April 9, 2016, 2:55 pm

Jidda you a London Arab, wallahi barakficum, I am the gone wrong guy you warn your sons about, fahm inglesi, and i fix their cars for them, no food is like what Arab women can make, you the ultimate.

14. Irfan
    April 11, 2016, 3:25 pm

I got my copy in today’s mail and just read it all the way through. I happened to recognize the first settler Phil describes, “David” from Tekoa, from my own travels in Palestine last summer. Phil nails it: he gets “David” and the dynamics of Tekoa politics exactly right. The rest of the essay rings true as well. It’s well worth the price. I highly recommend it.

I wonder if I could get permission to quote four paragraphs from pp. 19-20 on my blog, starting with “The settlers’ argument…” and ending with “…the world that the Zionists made.” (I can be content with quoting just the latter two paragraphs if four is too many.) Just perfectly put.

I’m so grateful that this essay got written and published. Thanks.