Israel has fabricated claims against Iran — senior U.S. official

News

In the Washington Post, no less. Just curious: Will any Democrat seize on this information to oppose Romney’s bellicosity? And try and dial down the war talk? Will Debbie Wasserman Schultz, head of the DNC, say, Americans don’t want another war, and Romney is pushing it! Don’t hold your breath. Post’s Karen Brulliard:

U.S. officials say Israeli leaders are sincere about the need to act quickly, but they said they do not think Netanyahu has made the decision to strike. Rather, the Israeli leader is trying to pressure the United States.

“They are deadly serious, as is the president, about the need to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon,” a senior U.S. official said. “But there has been far too much talking — background leaks and fabrications — that hurt the cause.”

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. pabelmont on August 18, 2012, 9:46 am

It’s too bad Ms. Back Ground (Leak?) didn’t identify even a single Israeli “fabricated” anything. Or any “background leak”. (We don’t include her own, here.) And she grants Israel they accolade of sincerity about the need to act quickly.

The sense is a mixed one of criticism of the fabrications and the arm-twisting (USA being pressured) but acceptance of the need to act prevent Iran from getting nukes (and doing so quickly).

Doesn’t make me happy. Allows for war as a reasonable response to Iran, but complains about Israel’s arm-twisting. USA is not insisting that there is no present danger, no present urgency.

Perhaps this is a play to get all the way to November without an Obama commitment to go to war soon. Keep that money (or whatever’s left of it) flowing.

• annie on August 18, 2012, 2:09 pm

thanks for the heads up citizen, fixed.

• American on August 18, 2012, 5:37 pm

This was my favorite comment:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        “Hautdessert
        5:13 PM EDT

Israels’s biggest obstacle is the United States. Since it shifted to a new economy and started buying weapons from us, including weapons they developed, they have been at a singular disadvantage. We have befriended their enemies, such as Egypt, which is on the heaviest US dole, and we support the Saudis of the Sewer, who have been directly and indirectly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, and untold misery throughout the world.

Moreover, Israel freely gives us not only its technology, but its drug patents, etc., intelligence, weapons prototypes, etc. From them we get a great deal, from the ME Moslem nations,, we get…Dead.

Netanyahu accepted China’s invitation last year for a visit. China is clearly interested, lends money without strings, etc. Israel should keep its manufacturing at home, along with its other developments, its intelligence gathering, and SELL them. It should unite with China, and nations such as Cyprus, under the heel of the Turks, and bid the US a fond farewell.

Shalom….”
        >>>>>>>>>>>>

If only they would bid us farewell.
        This comment is the level of intelligence I see 90% of the time in the Israel supporters.
        Maybe there is a silver lining in it —- maybe when these teenager children (what they sound like anyway) of the I-firsters and Zios grow up and take their parents place they will dump the US in favor of China.

2. Les on August 18, 2012, 11:40 am

Our media competes among themselves to be the first to publish our government’s fabrications.

3. seanmcbride on August 18, 2012, 11:42 am

What is amazing is the overwhelming anti-Israel sentiment one finds in the comments in one of the most militantly pro-Israel newspapers in the world. Scan the most recommended comments on the article:

I am curious: how concerned are emotional pro-Israel activists at the Washington Post (and similar neocon propaganda outlets, like the New York Times) about the widespread hostility towards Israel they have managed to stir up? Do they think about these trends and where they are leading? Or do they just blindly push on without thinking, perhaps assuming, like Benjamin Netanyahu, that Hashem or history is on their side and that they know what’s best?

The few pro-Israel comments here are, as usual, simply appalling — explosions of brainless and bullying chauvinism. Eructations.

The American mainstream media political agenda (largely neoconservative and neoliberal) seems to be wildly out of touch with informed American opinion in general. We are witnessing the development of a “situation” — a widening schism between American political elites (a tiny minority of neocon oligarchs) and the American people.

The last thing on the minds of most Americans is getting involved in another Mideast war after the costly failures of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

• Citizen on August 18, 2012, 2:08 pm

@ seanmcbride,
      I read the first 20 or so comments on the WP as they appeared and every one of them was informed and anti-Israel, some showed disgust at this latest rendition of the US-Israel “special relationship.” Yep. What goes on in the minds of the WAPO biggies when they get a load of this trend–one of the comments gave two recent examples from the Israeli press illustrating how the American masses are not being informed of what the Israeli government is doing to pressure Obama, and what Obama is doing or not doing about it. Surely the WAPO brass must now be aware that its losing credibility with enlightened Americans, same as the rest of the US mainstream media?

• American on August 18, 2012, 4:03 pm

Always check the ‘most recommended’ comments. Those critical of Isr-USA get the most recommends. Last comment I made there on the US-Israel relationship got 275 recommends.

But I don’t think I-Firsters or US politicians and certainly not the Israelis zionist care about US public opinion….they think they can always ‘control’ our opinion. Yep, we are ‘easily led’ and not very bright according to them.
        Just have the msm give us another dose of propaganda if we become too questioning.

• RoHa on August 18, 2012, 8:39 pm

What goes on in the minds of the WAPO biggies when they get a load of this trend is

“Obey our masters.”

• CloakAndDagger on August 18, 2012, 2:29 pm

I believe the power of the hasbarists is on a definite wane. Their brute force method of following up on every single hint of anti-Israel sentiment expressed in the papers is backfiring on them. Even those who don’t post replies (I don’t) to WAPO articles are not buying their hasbara. I am happy to let them continue to spend their resources tilting at windmills (except for the fact that my taxes fund them), the war is already lost to their chagrin.

Watch desperation at the cusp of madness as they redouble their hasbara in the weeks ahead.

• American on August 18, 2012, 3:24 pm

I do follow article comments at WP on Israel related articles and make a commment occasionally.
        I’ve watched the general comments grow over time from questions….”what’s the deal this Israel-US and Palestine thing?’…to now very informed opposition to Israel in general.
        I’ve never come across a MSM comment site where the anti Israel commenters sounded like any kind of organized anti Israel group though…they don’t seem scripted….more like they stumbled on some info about Israel, (mostly the costly Isr-USA relationship) and are now pissed.

• Carllarc on August 18, 2012, 7:11 pm

I post all the time on the WaPo; I very frequently cite mondo and sometimes richardsilverstein.com. the pro-Israel posters are a devoted bunch of knuckleheads; there are about ten really extremely persistent types who are Arab/Muslim hating and militant Israel firsters or actual Israelis. The repeat the same trash talk over and over and over.

4. Merk on August 18, 2012, 1:12 pm

not concerned at all, the anti-Israel group has people who comment habitually at all news sites, at anything regarding Israel. I’ve seen Israel brought up on articles about Britney Spears, don’t try to kid yourself and act like the anti-Israel crowd doesn’t do the same as the ‘hasbarists’ you so hate.

The anti-Israel lobby of activists is much more powerful than you give it credit for.

• annie on August 18, 2012, 2:13 pm

do tell. in what way? and please link to their site(s).

• Merk on August 18, 2012, 2:53 pm

what about the anti-Israel groups which lobbied the Presbyterian and Canadian churches? you know what the word lobby means right Annie? JVP is one of them, your site is another.

The whole BDS thing is a form of lobbying also.

• annie on August 18, 2012, 4:12 pm

don’t move the goalposts, it was you who said …lobby of activists is much more powerful than you give it credit for.

i don’t define jvp as ‘anti israel’ but that was not my point. you made the claim i didn’t give these groups any credit, or this site any credit. actually i think our power is underestimated by many but those who watch these kinds of things know how powerful our site is.. i think reut (i think it is reut who said it) is right in that the main battlefield is going on in public opinion. in fact i think we’re winning on that battlefield by leaps and bounds.

so answer me this, which groups specifically do you think i do not give enough credit to, for being powerful?

i think members of our community who lobbied the Presbyterian and Canadian churches are brilliant and crucial, i don’t underestimate them.

i also think the widespread hostility of emotional pro-Israel activists completely works in our favor, and is damaging to israel’s reputation. you claim otherwise and that their impact doesn’t concern you ‘at all’. that is fine with me, i have no complaint if this is your opinion. they can keep it up as far as i am concerned, it helps our cause. i’m all for exposure, truth helps our cause regardless of whether you think it does or not.

• talknic on August 19, 2012, 12:36 pm

Merk August 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm

“what about the anti-Israel groups which lobbied the Presbyterian and Canadian churches?”

“anti-Israel”? Israel is a state. The illegal activities in breach of the UN Charter, International Law and Conventions are perpetrated by the Government of the State. Such regimes can be changed. The State remains. Iraq remains, the Baathists have gone. The US remains, Bush has gone. BDS is aimed at changing the policies of the regime (or the regime) in order that Israel adhere to its obligations as a UN member.

The only reason Israel is in the UN appears to be for the protection afforded by the US veto vote in the UNSC, without which Israel would be the victim of its own lawlessness.

• CloakAndDagger on August 18, 2012, 2:23 pm

@ Merk

I am not aware of any organized “anti-Israel crowd” that bears any similarity to the Hasbara denizens.

1. I am not aware of anything resembling “megaphone” to attack every anti-Israel article that may pop up
      2. I am not aware of any paid-propaganda organization that publishes anti-Israel articles in American papers
      3. I am not aware of any anti-Israel lobby of activists that writes bills for congress
      4. I am not aware of any anti-Israel lobby of activists that influences US foreign policy in the slightest
      5. I am not aware of any anti-Israel lobby of activists that influences US elections
      6. I am not aware of any anti-Israel lobby of activists that publish talking points for cutting and pasting on web sites. Most anti-Israel posts I have seen have been formulated by individuals with no central organization.

Care to substantiate your claims with reference sources?

• ColinWright on August 18, 2012, 6:22 pm

CloakandDagger writes: “Most anti-Israel posts I have seen have been formulated by individuals with no central organization.”

You say this like it’s a good thing. I’m not to interested in congratulating ourselves for our moral sincerity, independence, and free thinking.

I’d like to see us win. The groups opposing Israel can’t even be categorized as a coalition. It’s totally disorganized — and far less effectual on that account. Surely it would be possible to come up with a set of desiderata most would like to see — whatever their additional goals and/or qualifications.

Something like

1. An Israeli withdrawal to the pre-1967 ceasefire lines.

2. An end to Israeli extra-territorial assassinations.

3. An end to the various devices Israel uses to ensure Jewish racial supremacy within Israel.

I have — advisedly — omitted many, many other things I would like to see as well. The point is to come up with something as many as possible can rally behind, and as few as possible can openly oppose.

• CloakAndDagger on August 18, 2012, 11:17 pm

@ ColinWright

My takeaway from your above post:

1. We need an organisation in order “to win”
        2. 3-point mission statement (with other points omitted) to rally behind

Building our anti-AIPAC

Perhaps some form of organization could benefit us, but I don’t think we could ever counter the mafia that is AIPAC. They have a surefire funding scheme that we can never compete with:

1. Get politicians elected to congress who will side with you
        2. Ensure their continuing loyalty, either by bribes (donations), coercion (threaten to fund their opponent), or blackmail (those underage encounters).
        3. Tap on these politicians to allocate large overt and covert funds to Israel from the US taxpayer
        4. Israel sends a portion of this money back to AIPAC through direct and indirect means
        5. Rinse and repeat

In the meantime, control the messaging and PR by controlling media, and a very visible presence on the Internet through Hasbara efforts.

Its the perfect mafia with foxes guarding the henhouse. Its hard to see how we could counter this head-on. We need to flank them somehow.

1. An Israeli withdrawal to the pre-1967 ceasefire lines.

2. An end to Israeli extra-territorial assassinations.

Our mission statement

Here, my goals and motivations may be different from yours. What drives me mostly is a very US-centric set of imperatives, some of which can, incidentally, be of global benefit, but commence from very selfish perspectives:

1. I don’t want my tax money going to Israel, or to any other country for that matter
        2. I don’t want my country meddling in the affairs of other countries, except for the purpose of trade and friendship
        3. I don’t want want entangling alliances with Israel or any other country which can corner us to act in ways that are against our best interests
        4. I do not want any foreign nation meddling in our domestic, political, or foreign affairs, either openly or by clandestine means
        5. I do not want foreign nationals, including those with dual nationalities, in any position of power or influence in our government. This has to be a government of the people, by the people, and for the people of the USA exclusively.
        6. I want our military used for the sole purpose of defending our borders against all threats. I do not want our armed forces used to invade other countries or fight preemptive wars against the enemies of other countries. I want no reason for any country to see us as a foe. Instead, I want us to be a nation that is friends with all who want us as such, and trade with all who wish to do so.

But, what of the Palestinians? Isn’t that why we are here on MW?

The Palestinian plight brings tears to my eyes, but railing against it is not going to save them. I do not mean to minimize the impact of efforts such as BDS and the evangelism of sites such as MW in educating the American populace, but in the end, the problem cannot be solved head-on.

Education goes a long way towards that end and Phil Weiss deserves a lot of credit for making huge inroads towards achieving that by showcasing the daily atrocities of Israel and the Israel-firsters in full frontal nudity.

In the end, if we can get America to adopt my 6 points above, Palestine will be saved, as will the rest of the world. Without the military might and bully pulpit of the USA, Israel will no longer be able to continue on its present course. It will be forced to make peace with, and get along with its neighbors. It can no longer count on US vetoes in the UN to shield it from the punishment of international law.

♪ ♫ You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one. ♫♪

One of the reasons many of us rally around Ron Paul is because he espouses the above 6 points. People put him down for all sorts of other reasons (many contrived) based on their own personal priorities. From where I stand, unless we can achieve the above goals, no other priorities will be worth a damn.

• ColinWright on August 19, 2012, 2:09 am

Cloak and Dagger says: “…Our mission statement

Here, my goals and motivations may be different from yours….”

I choose…I choose…both!

They’re not completely mutually exclusive. Certainly a complete ban on all foreign aid and all foreign meddling in our affairs serves both ends. Otherwise, if we just fold our arms and let the rest of the UN do what they like about Israel, that’ll work for me. Should work pretty good as far as Israel goes, too.

“…In the end, if we can get America to adopt my 6 points above, Palestine will be saved, as will the rest of the world…”

Don’t say things like that. It’s been said too often before, in one form or another. Never works out.

• seanmcbride on August 18, 2012, 3:49 pm

Merk,

You wrote:

“The anti-Israel lobby of activists….”

Most of the comments critical of Israel at mainstream media outlets like the Washington Post and New York Times seem to be written by bright and articulate individuals who are not the joining type and who bring a wide variety of original views to the subject. Pro-Israel activists, on the other hand, often come across as members of a cult who are regurgitating the same few canned talking points that have been cobbled together by AIPAC. Usually they are angry and abusive.

Most pro-Israel activists seem to be misreading the political climate regarding Israel in the United States, Europe and worldwide. Ethnic and religious nationalist movements and cults tend to strongly encourage magical thinking and reality denial while at the same time polarizing the world against themselves.

Do you personally have enough engagement with reality to comprehend that most Americans are not in a mood to be pushed into a war against Iran by the Israeli government?

• MRW on August 18, 2012, 4:59 pm

Don’t kid yourself, Merk,

“The anti-Israel lobby of activists” are called America-Firsters. The tide has turned, and you will never hear of it until it’s too late (one of the consequences of screeching anti-semitism when it’s not).

I lived in Manhattan for almost half my life, and in the rarified-world part of it too. Since I landed in what I announced was bum-phuck country, I can look back now at what the presumption of superiority does to people living in NYC and DC with mid-triple-digit IQs. Fact is I read more now. Way more. Way, way more. I catch the ignorance of anchors, reporters, and pundits, the solipsism, disdain, and arrogance. Or phony sentimentality for what so many people are still going through.

It’s not ‘anti-Israel’. It’s ‘fuck-Israel’. People are fed up with it. They’ve had it. They’re fed up with the sophistry about it, the endless phony ten-alarm fires.

But why don’t the press know this? (Hayseed politicians like Romney believe the DC political capital they encounter as true). Because, in NYC at least, the anchors, (broadcast) reporters, and pundits leave their offices in limos and either lunch or dine at RYU or Daniel’s, meet the powerful for drinks or parties, they have no clue, and whatever clue they do have they sneer at as beneath them. They don’t spend nights reading, or days, I mean days, chasing links to get to the bottom of historical truth now available because we have the web. More than finances changed in the last half of 2008. Israel had no sense of it when it stupidly broke the truce on Nov 4th (was that a message to the schwartze they disdain or what) and bombed Gaza. Your actions don’t create your future. The consequences do. And as I wrote in a remark that sparked dilated pilpuls (thanks, Mooser) consequences have never figured in pilpul.

5. ColinWright on August 18, 2012, 6:14 pm

I think the claim isn’t so much that Israel has fabricated claims against Iran as that she has fabricated the various ‘US official’ attributions that have come out.

If I understand the game aright, Israel can attribute ‘We’re going to bomb Iran unless [fill in some vague hypothetical condition that Iran is to fulfill]’ to an unspecified ‘US official.’ Said official need not even actually exist.

Then what can Obama do? He can’t come out with ‘We’re not going to bomb Iran even if she hasn’t [fill in above.]’ It would never do for him to begin any sentence with specifying what he will let Iran get away with.

…and I think the US is getting a little exasperated with this game, and that’s what this is all about.

6. CloakAndDagger on August 19, 2012, 1:50 am

Another testament to the growing ennui towards Israel are these polls from VT:

Peter Beinhart of the Daily Beast:

“…Another driver of the Jewish vote is fear of the Christian right…According to a 2012 study by the Public Religion Research Institute, American Jews feel almost twice as sympathetic to American Muslims as they do to the Christian right.”

– An October 2008 poll by Steven M. Cohen, Sam Abrams, and Judith Veinstein found that only 15 percent of American Jews ranked Israel as one of their three top voting issues.
    – This March, when the American Jewish Committee asked American Jews what most influences their presidential vote, only 6 percent answered “Israel,” with another 4 percent citing “Iran’s nuclear program.”
    – So what do American Jews vote on? The economy, of course. According to the AJC poll, it registered almost five times the number of first-place votes as did Israel.