To my Jewish friend (you know who you are)

Blood and and discarded belongings are left behind at a U.N. school in Beit Hanoun, in the northern Gaza Strip, Thursday, July 24, 2014. Israeli tank shells hit the compound, killing more than a dozen people and wounding dozens more who were seeking shelter from fierce clashes on the streets outside, Palestinian officials said. (AP Photo/Adel Hana)

To my Jewish friend (you know who you are),

I waited for you to inquire about my family…you didn’t. Not even a private message, not a phone call.

I checked your Facebook page, wow…not one post about the massacres in Gaza. Some dinner party shots, something about ISIS and Syria but nothing about Gaza. Even though, it has been bombed for three weeks in your name.

I waited for you to ask how I was coping, you didn’t. I cope better on some days than others. I try to keep busy and I only sleep when I crash. My grandfather’s house was partly bombed, but like Gaza it is still standing…for now. Our land was destroyed…lots of new trees gone old trees gone but who cares about trees when lives are shattered. I waited for you to ask, but you didn’t.

My cousins spent the night on the eve of Eid huddled with their children under the kitchen sink as three bombs were dropped from an F16 over the apartment building they were seeking shelter in. They “survived” although that word is open for interpretation.

Over a thousand people killed mostly civilians …. entire neighbourhoods demolished bombed… but you didn’t ask.

All I can say is next time you visit Israel and enjoy yourself think of this: lots of blood has been spilled in your name and for your privilege.

A version of this post originally appeared on Facebook

Samah Sabawi
About Samah Sabawi

Samah Sabawi is a Palestinian-Canadian-Australian writer, commentator and playwright.

1. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 29, 2014, 11:00 am

That would make a great song.

the theme reminds me of this

just
      July 29, 2014, 11:07 am

You are so right, seafoid!

A very effective correspondence, Samah. Looking forward to passing it on.

Chu
      July 29, 2014, 12:28 pm

or a poem.

ezra greenberg
      July 29, 2014, 3:31 pm

annie
        July 29, 2014, 9:11 pm

Mooser
        July 30, 2014, 11:23 am

“i think they want their freedom – occupation/blockade to end – more than anything. it’s that ol give me liberty thing goin’ on.”

Annie, The problem is much too complicated for our beautiful minds.

Mooser
        July 30, 2014, 11:27 am

“if Palestinians want the bloodshed to end, tell Hamas to stop sending rockets into Israel. They don’t like it (or have you not noticed). It is really not that complicated folks.” Ezra Greenberg

Ezra Greenberg, thank you! It’s time somebody told these mosers what for!
        It’s like I always used to tell my grandparents when they told me about the Warsaw Ghetto: “Why didn’t the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto stop shooting at the Nazis, and make peace with them! Instead, they allowed hot-heads to damage them all. They should have done the sensible thing.
        Where were the Jewish moderates in the Warsaw Ghetto? Where was the Jewish Gandhi?

ezra greenberg
        July 30, 2014, 4:12 pm

A twisted, snarky reply, that does not stand up to rational scrutiny. So you are comparing the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto to the Gazans? Well, there are some distinctions. The Jews in the Ghetto had not declared war on the Germans, and were not represented by any group similar to Hamas. If anything, you are missing or overlooking the real similarities here. Hamas does in fact have a genocidal charter that would fit nicely into the Nazi playbook: kill all Jews.
        The Israelis would be happy to live in peace with the Gazans, and would be even happy to help them. But it is hard to help people who want to kill you!!! I suggest that the Gazans change their leadership. I know that is easier said than done, but as long as these poor miserable people are represented by Hamas, they just have more misery and death in store for them.

DaBakr
        July 30, 2014, 11:31 pm

finally you prove yourself the idiot I always suspected lay inside. great analogy btw. so so many Jews rose up in Warsaw compared to the ones that were brave enough to starve and huddle in hovels like sheep. And don’t firget those wonderful Polish partisans waiting with open arms for the Jews that crept through sewer tunnels to join them. but hey-an analogy is always worth the paper you use in the bathroom when you pick out a few things here and there that conform. and gee-adding in your poor suffering grandparents adds some needed authority no less.

2. Kay24
    Kay24
    July 29, 2014, 11:18 am

Well written and beautifully expressed Samah. My heart goes to you, your family, and the thousands and thousands of Palestinians who are going through this inhumane treatment, pain and suffering. It must be hard to face every day wondering if your home, your family, and you yourself, will be shattered by the end of the day, and if you will live to see another sunrise. No people on earth, should be tortured this way.
    I am ashamed that my country is complicit in this slaughter going on right now, and our leaders showing their shameless faces to us, professing undying love and devotion, to those who have kept you all in captivity, and who keep stealing all your resources.
    I apologize for the crimes we commit against you by our aid and weapons, and that our leaders keep supporting the criminals so they keep these crimes going. I hope you and your family will continue to be safe, in fact I wish ALL Palestinians will be, although reality is another story. The Palestinians deserve to have rights, their freedom, and live normal lives, like the freedoms enjoyed by their occupier.

Citizen
      July 29, 2014, 12:36 pm

@ Kay24
      I agree. I am deeply ashamed of the US government. I am trying to spread your word and protesting my own government reps. It seems nobody is listening. Nobody influential cares, not even my own family cares enough to spread your words of truth.

Kay24
        July 29, 2014, 4:39 pm

Citizen, unfortunately my senator is Menendez, who has a sickening fascination with Israel and will even go against his own President, to pass resolution that will derail Obama’s policies. I refer to the peace talks with Iran and Menendez doing AIPAC’s bidding to derail it with more sanctions. I have written many time, but I get the usual BS response about how Israel is our good ally blah blah.
        Recently I heard Menendez was attending a pro Israeli rally somewhere in NJ. I am utterly disgusted by this slave mentality our congress seem to have, when it comes to Israel.

3. Les
    Les
    July 29, 2014, 11:34 am

Liberal on everything but Israel? There’s a name for that!
    By Katie Halper
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:00 EDT

Do you feel dovish most of the time but suddenly hawkish when it comes to Israel? Are you critical of the Democrats for being too centrist but supportive of Likud? Do your liberal ideas apply to every issue except for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

If you answered yes to the questions above, you may be a PEP (Progressive Except on Palestine).

But you are not alone! PEPism is extremely common, especially among liberal Jews. In fact, if you are a liberal Jew, there is a high probability that this syndrome runs in your family. If you aren’t a PEP, you likely have some relatives who are. Though not genetic, PEPism is sometimes, though not always, passed down from one generation to the next. Two PEPs will frequently, but not necessarily, have PEP offspring, some of whom will outgrow the condition. Conversely, occcasionally, the offspring of two PEPs will experience an adverse reaction, manifesting in hyper-keffiyeh use and fetishization of all things Arab.

The onset of PEPism varies. Children of PEPs tend to manifest symptoms as pre-teens. People who do not come from PEP parentage might experience a later onset, especially following a Birth Right trip or, in later years, after a move to Florida.

I am not a PEP and come from a PEP-free family. I have, however, seen how PEPism can affect people’s judgement, end relationships, and make social media extremely unbearable. So, I am speaking out.

And I’m not the only one. The term PEP appears in alternative media. But it hasn’t penetrated traditional media, for the most part. Though I don’t know who came up with the term, and I can’t remember where I first heard it, I unknowingly helped raise awareness about the syndrome via The Washington Post. In a review of Laughing Liberally, a political comedy show which I co-founded and in which I perform, journalist Emily Wax-Thibodeaux wrote,

With her heavy Upper West Side accent and frequent references to Zabar’s, comedian Katie Halper often stuns the audience by giving voice to the Palestinian plight — as a Jewish liberal….

…. Some in the audience laugh. But some clearly experience what Halper, a Laughing Liberally co-founder, calls the “PEP Phenomenon,” or Progressive Except on Palestine.

Because I’m so humble (and/ or was kvelling over seeing my name and my show in print), I didn’t realize the significance of the appearance of PEP in the newspaper, until Adam Weiss wrote a blog post at MondoWeiss called “‘PEP’ (Progressive Except Palestine) makes the Washington Post.”

Do you think you or someone you know might be a PEP? Tomorrow, I’ll have a diagnostic test for people to take. Remember, getting tested is the first step.

Born and raised on the mean streets of New York City’s Upper West Side, Katie Halper is a comedian, writer and filmmaker. She is the co-host of Morning Jew, writes for places like The Nation, Feministing, Jezebel and appears on places like MSNBC, RT, Sirius radio (which hung up on her once). Katie’s had her photo taken with Rudy Giuliani and was called “cute and somewhat brainy” by the National Review.

just
      July 29, 2014, 11:42 am

Thank you Les!

(hi ‘Adam Weiss’!)

Mooser
      July 29, 2014, 12:12 pm

It’s very unfortunate, but many people think there’s no harm in a few PEP pills. But abuse of PEP pills can be the ‘gateway drug’ to a full-on Ziocaine Syndrome

Citizen
        July 29, 2014, 12:45 pm

In my family, everybody pushes for dog protection, they don’t care to protect Palestinians. They push lots of poor dog pics in the pound, besieging Facebook. Not one of the Palestinian children in Gaza. I push for the Palestinians. Nobody even acknowledges it.

Kay24
        July 29, 2014, 4:41 pm

Citizen I do sympathize with you. It must be hard to be surrounded by those who have drunk that koolaid, and cannot find it in their hearts to have compassion for helpless civilians. I think I would be disappointed too if those around me did not feel I did.

MHughes976
        July 29, 2014, 5:49 pm

I’ve just been out for a drink with a neighbour, whose views on the ME turn out to be splendid. On this irrational, statistically insignificant basis I cherish hope for England. When I think of the Church of England, though, I’m not so sure.

Bumblebye
        July 29, 2014, 7:15 pm

It is often tough and lonely if you’re in an area far from political activism. I was shocked a couple of years ago by the reaction of one of my brothers – he thought my position wrt Israel was ‘anti-semitic’, but he also claimed our late mother was too, which is total bs as her step-mum was Jewish! (But he doesn’t have any memory of our Granny Esther, she died when he was very small)
        Anyhow, I tend not to bang on at family, I’ll speak if the subject arises and that seems to be more effective – my son and his wife are starting to take notice of the facts for themselves. He surprised me last week for having noticed the donation of the German team player who donated his winnings for Gaza, and this week they’ve ordered ‘Save Gaza’ wristbands. Small stuff, but they’ve got a huge circle of friends and acquaintances who they in turn might influence. He may even write one of his satirical pieces for ‘The Spoof’!

seafoid
        July 29, 2014, 1:08 pm

ZS eventually leads to the development of murderous thoughts, known as Schumerian ZS.

Chu
        July 29, 2014, 1:11 pm

Eventually, some rich american zillionaire will eventually have to open up a Betty Ford Center for Ziocane addiction. Imagine the stories; the lifelong dependency tales, the day to day struggles…

Mooser
        July 29, 2014, 2:27 pm

“Eventually, some rich american zillionaire will eventually have to open up a Betty Ford Center for Ziocane “

Certainly spontaneous remission occurs, but medical researchers are unable to find a therapy which meets with consistent success. There have been cases of amazing over-night cures, usually accompanied of dreams of angels on horseback, or surf and turf. But no effective therapy has been devised.

Chu
        July 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

when the patient get unruly, throw them in the mitzvah tank…

ezra greenberg
      July 29, 2014, 9:31 pm

Liberal on everything except Israel? Not that complicated to figure out. Alot of liberals look at the Palestinian cause, look at some of their leading factions, such as HAMAS and want nothing to do with such a poisonous group. Most sane progressives are pro religious freedom, pro feminist, and pro Gay marriage. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think Hamas is too big on women’s rights. And when is the next Pride Parade in Gaza City (or in more urbane Ramallah, for that matter?). So sane progressives want nothing to do with the Palestinian cause. There are alot of useful idiots who raise the banner for the Palestinians, but I think they have just drunk from the Leftist Kool Aid.

4. scott9854958
    scott9854958
    July 29, 2014, 11:39 am

“Privilege” indeed. I’m reminded of Israel’s decision to keep those El Al flights going in the midst of all this carnage so those well-scrubbed true believing Hillel students can fly in from the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell and get “the tour” while they take selfies with smoke rising in the distance. Pathetic.

5. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 29, 2014, 11:55 am

Palestinian voices were never heard in such numbers before. And they are so eloquent, so human. Israel’s nightmare.

And what difference does it make if Israel has a gay pride parade ?
    Israel has lost its soul. Mooser would say it never had one to start with, that it was actually mechanically recovered and reformed chicken liver.

Mooser
      July 29, 2014, 12:17 pm

“Mooser would say it never had one to start with, that it was actually mechanically recovered and reformed chicken liver. “

Anytime you would like tell me when Zionism “lost its soul” I’m ready to listen. What year was it?

Citizen
        July 29, 2014, 12:46 pm

How about 1880?,
        Wait, let me think: State of the Jew,” commonly translated as “The Jewish State” is a pamphlet written by Theodor Herzl and published in February 1896 in Leipzig and Vienna by M. Breitenstein’s Verlags-Buchhandlung. It is subtitled with “Versuch einer modernen Lösung der Judenfrage”, “Proposal of a modern solution for the Jewish question”, and was originally called “Address to the Rothschilds” referring to the Rothschild family banking dynasty.

Now, should we go to 1913 and the US congress rubber-stamping the Federal Reserve System while all the goys were home under their Xmas trees? IRS bloomed then too. How about how Balfour Declaration came about? Wilson, the dunce?

Mooser
        July 30, 2014, 12:21 pm

“How about 1880?

That’s funny, I was thinking about “The Jewish State” Herzl’s pamphlet, as the start of the descent, too. Not that he wrote it, people write all kinds of stuff, but that it was considered seriously.

And I know how you feel about the dogs, too Citizen. My dog is always needling me about having a better, longer pedigree than mine.

Mooser
        July 29, 2014, 2:18 pm

And what do you have against chicken livers, Seafoid? Okay, I did not like chopped liver when I was younger. Not at all, I didn’t like anything about it, but I know a Mitzvot when I see one, and I’ve learned to love it. No one can accuse me of shirking obligations!

Raksha
      July 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Whether Israel has lost its soul or never had one to begin with is not a question I feel qualified to answer. As a newly recovering Zionist (former liberal Zionist) I have a lot of catch-up reading to do, if I can manage to tear myself away from the headlines long enough.

During this latest crisis I have found myself spending more and more time on Mondoweiss, in preference to other liberal Jewish sites, although there are many excellent ones. The difference is that this is as close to a hasbara-free zone as I’ve seen. It’s inevitable that there is some hasbara troll presence at any site where Israel-Palestine issues are discussed, but at Mondoweiss it seems to be at an absolute minimum.

So this note is basically just an expression of gratitude to Phil Weiss, Mooser, seafoid and the other regulars here for providing this oasis of sanity, which is a great help in my recovery. I’m not quite sure how you do it, but I’m very glad you do!

–Linda aka Raksha

annie
        July 29, 2014, 1:55 pm

welcome aboard Linda aka Raksha.

As a newly recovering Zionist (former liberal Zionist)

music to my ears

Raksha
        July 29, 2014, 2:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Annie. The change isn’t as great a shock to my system as it might be, since I never suffered from PEP syndrome. If there’s anything I can’t tolerate it’s a double standard, and I’ve always been that way.

So I’ve known this day was coming for a while now. For years I’ve told anyone who would listen, “It’s only a matter of time before I won’t be able to call myself any kind of a Zionist at all.” The last straw came sometime during the last three weeks or the last month,. It would be hard to pinpoint when the exact moment was, what the precipitating incident was. I can think of several possibilities, but that’s something I can figure out down the line.

–Linda

adele
        July 29, 2014, 2:55 pm

that was beautiful Linda, and your description of this abode being an “oasis of sanity” is I am sure shared by many who come here to read, learn and comment. It is comforting to know we are not alone, that there are so many who believe in justice. May your journey be inspiring to yourself and others.

6. Chu
    Chu
    July 29, 2014, 12:32 pm

I’ve been bds’ing my Jewish friends for a while, as I don’t need them if they are going to get all quiet about this massacre. You’d think one group of people would be sensitive to the tragedy we see unfolding, apparently not.

tokyobk
      July 29, 2014, 3:12 pm

A pre-emptive and prognosticated boycott of Jews (ex. Phil and Adam, thankfully!) Unless you meant that after 2009 you started your BDS of your Jewish friends, but I think you wrote from your heart, and strangely in support of an argument often made against BDS that it is indiscriminate and antisemitic.

Though, you are completely right in closing. The lack of self-awareness of many Jews is terrifying. Despicable, really. It seems to me that many Jews I know and online either don’t know or don’t care about what has been said about and done to our people for centuries.

Seafoid is not entirely wrong I must admit. In some ways we are seeing an end of the Judaism we thought we knew.

It frankly is indeed well time for anyone who identifies as Jewish to answer the questions: Do you accept this in your name? and, how many Palestinian lives claimed, especially children’s lives, is an ethnically supremacist Jewish State worth?

Any answer over 0 is troubling.

Mooser
        July 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

“Any answer over 0 is troubling.”

Oh, for God’s sake, that little train full of corpses left the station years ago, hell, in the 30s, probably before.

But you are still waiting for the score to go over “0”? Sure, okay. Let me know when it does.

7. American
    American
    July 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

That person is not your friend.
    Part of surviving life is learning who and what to let go of.

8. Citizen
    Citizen
    July 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

Should we learn more, like how the Zionist Jews influenced the Versailles treaty? And how that led directly to the rise of Hitler? You think USA enabled Gaza won’t repeat the process? Heh.

9. piotr
    piotr
    July 29, 2014, 1:14 pm

The hearts of writers on the opinion page of NYT are bleeding even as we speak.

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
    Don’t Kill the Export-Import Bank

Mercy! Poor bank, isn’t it beastly to slay it?

In less dramatic tone, Roger Cohen (keeping track of R. Cohens and J. Goldbergs is hard, for a moment I will not generalize about his writing) laments that Zionism, of late, is not as good as the Zionism that he believes in. Unfortunately, the opening sentence raises my hackles: “My great-grandfather’s brother, Michael Adler, was a distinguished rabbi …”
    While 1/2 of my ancestors are Jewish, none seems to be distinguished, and the other half includes municipal actuary, bookbinder, gardener, peasant, nurse, construction worker. Thus innate authority of the well-born sounds grating to me.

Anyway, the great Zionist debate of the hour seems to be if the State of Israel should commit itself to regular atrocities, or to make a super-duper atrocity to end all atrocities. Roger Cohen is sadly on a sideline. Avoiding atrocities, “even if arguably just” as one of his ilk put it? How naive you can be!?

What all of them seem in common is the denial that we are witnessing atrocities. It hollows Cohen’s argument: why the heck Zionism should adhere to his aesthetics? This requires mental framework that I call “morality against ethics”. In such morality we have to determine who is good and who is bad FIRST, and only then we can tell if a particular killing, maiming, infliction of homelessness or other deprivation is good or bad. I am sorry to say, but many opponents of “militant Zionism” (which is mainstream Zionism, unlike the liberal Zionism of Roger Cohen) buy this line of arguments.

For starters, does it matter if non-combatants who are killed are “innocent”? Did they vote for Hamas? Did they vote? Are they family members of voters? All of that is important if we want to establish that they are “bad people”, and this is important only if we think that killing bad people is good. This whole framework is confusing. If killing bad people is good, and at least 1/4 of the population of Gaza are bad people, then how to judge not killing of 99% of them 9 (and not maiming 95% of them)? According to some (like our American mainstream rabbis or Israeli Ambassador), it is an act of unprecedented generosity, worthy Nobel Prize, according to others, like Minister Bennet who is the head of a large political movement, total dereliction of duty. If anything, Bennet is more logical here, it is the intellectual framework that is insane.

Boomer
      July 29, 2014, 2:43 pm

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who has trouble keeping track of the Cohens, Goldbergs, et al. who earn a living by dispensing wisdom for our edification. The other R. Cohen, (Richard, of WaPo) deplores all the anti-semitism on display in the criticism of Israel. We are blaming the victim. After all, it isn’t the Holocaust:

piotr
        July 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

Richard Cohen: >>The difference between murdered and killed — the former on purpose, the latter mostly what’s called “collateral damage” — ought to be clear to anyone whose mind is not addled by anti-Semitism.

Israel has gone out of its way to try to avoid civilian deaths.<<

Richard forgot that the difference is also not clear to those where were killed. The tactic of inflicting indiscriminate mayhem for military gain is not new, and was clearly embraced by Germans during Siege of Warsaw in September of 1939. While motorized columns had relatively small problems traversing Polish countryside, the capital had fortifications, entrenched positions and tens of thousands of soldiers. For the first week Polish air defenses were operational, but then Polish planes were shot down and the sky belonged to Germans. Rather than continue fruitless attacks on Polish positions, the command resorted to carpet bombing, and with 20,000 civilians deaths the city surrendered in two days.

Later the allies surpassed the Germans in the carnage inflicted on cities, with firestorms and nuclear bombs (less lethal but more memorable) but after the war new conventions were signed to avoid it.

There are numerous differences between Siege of Warsaw and Siege of Gaza, but it is not clear that Israel is all that much better. Germans wanted to conquer the city, Israel attacks the besieged to maintain the siege. Typically, an "intolerable concession that would reward terrorism" would be giving the besieged the opportunity to produce and export their products. There are many corollary concessions that could be done, but were not done on the same principle. The siege is maintained to … achieve purposes that are not all that clear. One reasons that is mentioned is that the leadership of Gaza is "vile". But the process of changing that, and bringing Gaza under "apolitical unity government", was ignored. Other reasons can be only divined.

MHughes976
        July 29, 2014, 4:51 pm

It is not true that taking action certain to cause the deaths of non-combatants or of children, only we know not who or which, represents an intention better or purer than taking action aimed at killing particular non-combatants or particular children. ‘I don’t hesitate, no matter who suffers from what I do’ is not a morally better position than ‘I specify that those people should suffer’: its complete lack of interest in individual deserving represents a layer of moral coarseness and unconcern that vindictiveness against an individual does not reach, since even in vindictiveness some account is taken of who that individual is.

RoHa
        July 29, 2014, 8:09 pm

@MHughes

As far as I can recall, I always find myself in agreement with your moral reasoning, and in the last few weeks you seem to have been in particularly good form.

Mooser
        July 29, 2014, 6:23 pm

“Does every nation on Earth assume the right to kill thousands for unclear reasons? Does ANY other nation assume that?”

The 2003- War on Iraq by the US? The toll there reached into most certainly, the hundreds of thousands. And isn’t the US Israel’s big pal and supplier?

just
        July 29, 2014, 6:38 pm

Thanks, Mooser.

We carry the blame for a few other hundreds of thousands (millions) we’ve destroyed in some other MIC ventures as well.

Including Gaza right this minute.

MHughes976
        July 30, 2014, 4:36 am

Thanks for kind words. RoHa – Martin

10. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 29, 2014, 2:14 pm

There is something really deep about this piece, like a piercing glare at the eyes of someone who knows they have crossed a red line and that nothing will ever be the same again. There are no words to make it up. When it counted , there was nobody.
    All the assurances of Zionism, dust.

11. Mayhem
    Mayhem
    July 29, 2014, 7:58 pm

@samah, maybe your Jewish friend is on holidays.

Mooser
      July 30, 2014, 11:35 am

“@samah, maybe your Jewish friend is on holidays.”

Really Mayhem? There’s a Jewish holiday during which it is forbidden to communicate with friends? What’s the name of it?

Nice attempt to make the accusation of not getting in touch into an indicator of anti-Semitism, Mayhem.

BTW, weren’t you banned? What the hell are you doing here, trying push your way back in and settle? Next you’ll want to annex the place.

Mayhem
        July 30, 2014, 11:07 pm

@mooser, why should I be banned? Because I am not an anti-Zionist?
        Haven’t you heard of people taking holiday breaks to clear their minds of all their accumulated stress?

just
      July 30, 2014, 11:41 am

Who ARE you Mayhem? Lerner or Regev or Blitzer?

All fools!

12. ritzl
    ritzl
    July 29, 2014, 8:07 pm

Very moving, with a Tolkein or Arthurian-like sadness of something important, yet just out of view, passing. Like the face of a deceased loved one formed in a pre-dawn mist.

13. RoHa
    RoHa
    July 29, 2014, 8:15 pm

I would love to see this piece on the pages of every major newspaper in the world.