Israel demands correction from Sanders: it killed only 532 Palestinian children in summer 2014

US Politics

As the New York primary heats up, it’s terrific news that the media and Bernie Sanders are sparring over how many civilians Israel killed in Gaza in 2014. Sanders’s Jewishness is obviously giving this story resonance. The fact that Sanders is Jewish sends a signal to all Americans that it’s not anti-Semitic to criticize Israel. As Israel supporter Anne Bayefsky writes:

Jewish slanders Jewish state to win Democratic votes. Pathetic.

Sanders brought up the “Jewish state”‘s indiscriminate attacks on civilians and their homes first in a Daily News interview published on Monday, when he said that Israel had killed 10,000.

The neoconservative Washington Post was enraged by the comments. So was the Anti Defamation League– to whom Sanders walked the number back earlier this week.

And so are Israeli officials. Former Israeli ambassador Michael Oren demanded that Bernie Sanders apologize for allegedly libeling Israel, and an Israeli cabinet minister called on Sanders to apologize earlier today. Jerusalem Post:

Science, Space and Technology Minister Ophir Akunis said on Saturday that US presidential candidate Bernie Sanders should apologize to Israel for misstating the number of Palestinian casualties during the 2014 war with Gaza.

“Sanders has spread horrible lies against the State of Israel and he needs to apologize as soon as possible,” Akunis said… “We cannot interfere in the internal elections of the United States, but when there is libelous misinformation being spread against Israel, we need to react and stand firm on the truth and the facts.”

On MSNBC Friday, Sanders amended his comments  to say that Israel had killed over 2,000 civilians in Gaza. “It turns out that, according to the United Nations, over 2,000 civilians were killed.”

The number is actually closer to 1486, including 532 children, according to Khelil Bouarrouj at the Institute for Palestine Studies’ site Palestine Square, Bouarrouj says that Sanders’s original 10,000 number is a good tally of casualties in that operation and is also not far off as a count of killings over a 15 year period.

his claim was likely an honest confusion: 10,626 is the number of Palestinians that were injured in [Operation Protective Edge of 2014], according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Ramallah while 1,486 Palestinian civilians, including 532 children, were killed, according to UNOCHA (the UN agency in charge of  humanitarian affairs). The figure on the Israeli side was 5 civilians, including one child.

Sanders was entirely right about Israel’s massive destruction of Gaza’s infrastructure. To quote the UN report again, “Some half a million people were displaced at the height of hostilities, and approximately 108,000 were made homeless. Around 13 per cent of the housing stock was damaged, including up to 20,000 homes totally destroyed or rendered uninhabitable.”

Between September 2000 and August 2015, 10,565 Palestinians, mainly civilians, were either directly killed by Israel or died as a result of Israel’s occupation (such as being denied access to medical care at a military checkpoint). In the same period, 1,216 Israelis were killed, of whom 551 were civilians. (428 were soldiers or other security personnel and 230 were settlers.) (Source: Journal of Palestine Studies.)

Between January 2000 and January 2016, Israeli forces killed 1,977 Palestinian children—that is an average of 2–3 Palestinian children per week, or over 130 per year, since 2000. (Source: Defense for Children International-Palestine.) The number of Israeli children killed at the hands of Palestinian militants from September 2000 to July 2014 is 131. (Source: Remember These Children.)

Meantime, there’s another Sanders story with a religious dimension in the news. The candidate has accepted an invitation from the Vatican to speak at a conference on economic and social issues in Rome next Friday, a day after his debate with Hillary Clinton in New York. The joke is that of all the presidential candidates, Pope Francis has summoned the Jewish one. For his part, Sanders has frequently praised the pontiff’s values.

Bloomberg Politics says the trip is political, a bid for NY’s Catholic voters. But Sanders’s people deny they engineered the invite:

“The invitation came to the senator from the Vatican.” [said spokesman Michael Briggs]. His campaign manager, Jeff Weaver, said the trip wasn’t calculated to help the candidate’s appeal to Catholic voters in the New York primary.

Sanders’s travel to the Vatican, a day after a debate with Clinton and just before the primary, injects into the Democratic nominating contest the agenda of Pope Francis, one of the most popular world leaders whose papacy is especially admired by the political progressives who play an outsized role in Democratic primaries.

philweiss

1. a blah chick
    a blah chick
    April 9, 2016, 4:32 pm

Right, let’s rake Sanders over the coals for his numbers but give Israel a pass for killing children.

“We cannot interfere in the internal elections of the United States..”

Here I had to stop reading because my head exploded and I had to wipe off the screen.

“…when there is libelous misinformation being spread against Israel, we need to react and stand firm on the truth and the facts.”

You have to picture those dead children in the ice cream coolers to appreciate how vile that sentence is.

JWalters
      April 9, 2016, 8:43 pm

I’m imagining my local news coverage if 10,000 people were suddenly injured in my county ….

pabelmont
      April 10, 2016, 9:16 pm

Sanders said something like, “I don’t know how many people Israel killed, was it 10,000?”
      They’re ignoring that he had NOT studied the matter and was remembering something vague. Anyhow, why is 10,000 a “libel” (or “blood libel”) when 1500 or 2000 (1500+500 kids, perhaps adding was improper) would have been truth and (one imagines, but who knows with these bozos) NOT libel.

I see a good outcome of this criticism.

The USA will see the badgering that Israel & AIPAC (Big-ZION) apply to non-cowering politicians & they won’t like it. Second, Sanders can get the numbers straight and correct his “guess” with numbers that, I would think, would be WORSE than the 10,000 if he includes bombing of Lebanon in two recent attacks or even going back to Sabra and Shatila, but with particular attention to the killing of Lebanese civilians and bombing of hospitals (in ALL attacks, I believe) (as I recall)(hmmm, hmmmm).

2. ritzl
    ritzl
    April 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Sanders ought to correct himself every other sentence, if not every sentence.

ritzl
      April 9, 2016, 6:26 pm

Israel only killed 532 children. Healthcare for all. Israel only killed 532 children. College for all. Israel only killed 532 children. Reform the banks. Israel only killed 532 children. $15 minimum wage. Israel only killed 532 children. Etc.

Change up the intonation a bit, but correct away.

just
        April 9, 2016, 6:28 pm

!!! Spot- on, ritzl !!!

3. ritzl
    ritzl
    April 9, 2016, 6:56 pm

Brilliant idea for Sanders to meet with Pope Francis. Brilliant on EVERY level. Pope Francis’s changes/change mode is real and hugely popular among US Catholics.

Largely common goals. Strong synergy.

——

So will the next layer of attack on Sanders be that, “He will be taking his orders from the Pope!” ?? :))

pabelmont
      April 10, 2016, 9:19 pm

I think the Pope invited Sanders, not the other way around. But I love it. Two powerful, ethical reformers. However the trip cuts seriously into campaigning for NY.

4. talknic
    talknic
    April 9, 2016, 8:27 pm

How many have since died of their injuries, exposure, suicide etc bought about by Israel’s ghastly slaughterfest?

BTW, 10 or 10,000, Israel is in breach of the UN Charter, International Law, relative conventions and its own Declaration swearing to uphold the aforementioned

5. JWalters
    JWalters
    April 9, 2016, 8:52 pm

I’m guessing this Pope would be very reluctant to give the appearance he approves of someone who gives the appearance of being in cahoots with well-known Wall Street criminals and well-known Israeli criminals. Just guessing.

Bloomberg’s complaint is hilarious hasbara. If Bernie controls the Pope he is definitely competent ;)

ritzl
      April 9, 2016, 11:24 pm

Agree. I wonder if Clinton even had the notion to ask. Too busy “romancing the donkey,” I suspect.

6. Afaw
    Afaw
    April 9, 2016, 11:12 pm

532? Oh its more than 532! Bernie has never feared telling the truth but he is not completely telling the truth. He claims he I’d a Jew that practices Judaism, yet he has stated many times he supported Israel’s existences and if you know Judaism and the Torah, its forbidden for israel to exist. Also he blames Hamas for attacks, sorry buddy, by international law that has ignored and has helped israel with a slow holocaust for 68 years against Palestinians ….Hamas as well as each Palestinian has a right to defend itself under an illegal occupation that has been funded by USA and many other European nations. So did israel war criminals that are the offsprings of European reformed Zionist athesist Jews kill 10,000….well it killed more, maimed more, destroyed more, and are still killing Palestinians ….April 9, sixty eight years ago, over 750,000 Palestinians fled Dair Yasin when news came around that over 100 were massacred by Zionist. Since then, hundreds and thousands have been killed that surpasses the number of 10,000. Message to Bernie, if you want to claim Judaism is your religion …than you need to deny israel’s existences ….if you don’t. It goes against Judaism’s claims and if you still don’t, you are one of many Jews that call out for Palestine but are all Zionist when it comes to israel.

pabelmont
      April 10, 2016, 9:24 pm

Afaw: “if you know Judaism and the Torah, its forbidden for israel to exist.”

Well, not exactly. It used to be held (and still is in some orthodox circles) that it was contra-Talmud for a Jew to take any action whatever to bring about the return (in gathering) of Jews to Zion. It could be argued that Israel was created by non-Jews (non-orthodox) and no sin for them (their sin was apostasy I suppose). Well, since I myself am far from orthodox * * *. Anyhow, be that as it may, a lot of people who call themselves Jews have replaced a great portion — if not all — of their Judaism with a sort of worship of Israel (or fealty to Israel). I guess they dumped the Talmud overboard.

echinococcus
        April 10, 2016, 10:50 pm

Pabelmont,

I’m not so sure it only refers to the parts you mention. I’m particularly ignorant of religion but still I seem to vaguely remember something in the Old Testament about coveting one’s neighbor’s land (or things), stealing, murdering, bearing false witness… and possibly about crimes against humanity, too. At any rate, there definitely should be.

7. Marnie
    Marnie
    April 10, 2016, 12:24 am

‘About 60,000 Americans were murdered’ by Palestinians in Israel, says Shmuley Boteach Israel/Palestine Philip Weiss on June 25, 2014 – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/06/americans-murdered-palestinians/#sthash.fdZ6qsND.dpuf

I don’t recall, maybe someone else will, but did america’s rabbi issue an apology to the Palestinian people for this flat out lie? I realize he wasn’t running for president at the time he said it but does all he can for team israel 24/7, inspite of what that may mean for team america.

Kay24
      April 10, 2016, 7:54 am

Good point Marnie.

JWalters
      April 10, 2016, 8:22 pm

Will an Israeli rabbi invite Clinton over to discuss why a Palestinian life is not worth a single Jewish fingernail (approximately)?

8. US Citizen
    US Citizen
    April 10, 2016, 2:44 am

Oh my god. I had to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard over these bloviating blowhards the ADL and Wapo not to mention that scumbag Oren’s ridiculous lunacy” – The continued efforts by these idiots are getting tiresome and becoming white noise. No one believes Israel anymore and the old victim rhetoric for Israel apologists doesn’t work anymore. That’s the reality.

“We cannot interfere in the internal elections of the United States” – this one is particularly hilarious. Please someone email them with these words – AIPAC / JINSA/ WINEP/ ADL/ PNAC/ AEI and Netanyahu/Miami/Romney and Rubio/Adelson and Hillary/Haim Saban and that’s just for starters – when the Israel Lobby leaves the US government alone then maybe the truth and facts about Israel will finally be put into perspective.

“but when there is libelous misinformation being spread against Israel, we need to react and stand firm on the truth and the facts.” – because AIPAC/ JINSA/ WINEP/ ADL/ PNAC/ AEI will surely set us, the people of the US, straight right ? These people are delusional acting like none of here can read, disseminate information or Google.

Here’s what Bernie should do – define the money AIPAC has given Hillary and tie it directly to what we give to Israel that could be spent here at home. People understand dollars and cents. Make her and her pro-Israel people defend giving 10 millions dollars a day to a ‘vibrant democracy’ when our own are going without. Spell it out for them – for the record, Israel is an economic, technological and military powerhouse that provides Israelis with universal health insurance, free education and other social safety nets that are denied the American people payed for by the largess of the US taxpayer. Their heads will then surely explode.

ritzl
      April 10, 2016, 2:46 pm

Yup. Well said.

US popular support for Israel is a political inverted pendulum. Picture a car balanced on a broomstick. The political car is swaying, ergo the “anti-zionism equals anti-semitism” correcting function.

I’m kinda curious what comes after the “anti-zionism equals anti-semitism” effort fails.

annie
        April 10, 2016, 3:00 pm

it’s hard to predict what they’ll come up w/next, but it will likely be another ad hominem anti semitism construction since that’s their favorite (coveted) form of attack.

JWalters
        April 10, 2016, 8:28 pm

Perhaps we’ll find out at the war crimes trials. I’m guessing something like “I was just following orders”.

9. bryan
    bryan
    April 10, 2016, 5:18 am

Surely there is a very big difference between someone who admits he is not sure of the exact numbers but thinks it’s about … and you can correct me if I’m wrong … and someone who makes a clear, precise and unqualified statement of numbers? An estimate, even one incorrect by several orders of magnitude is not necessarily deliberately “libellous” (perhaps Akunis meant “slanderous”). His substantive point that the killings were indiscriminate and disproportionate was absolutely spot on.

10. diasp0ra
    diasp0ra
    April 10, 2016, 7:44 am

Yeah, Sanders!

Israel killed less thousands than the thousands you put forward!

11. Kay24
    Kay24
    April 10, 2016, 7:54 am

This is simply the usual hasbara move by Israel. Deflect from the facts (that indeed Israel has killed thousands of Palestinians) by feigning outrage at what the person who criticized stated, by demanding an apology from them, an effort to silence them, and make that person into an example for others who dare do the same thing. This has happened many, many times. It is now lame. This time it is “aw, Sanders needs to apologize we ONLY killed 532 Palestinian kids, so why is he exaggerating”. As if bringing those numbers down makes a difference to the crime of massacring children.

If it a game of demanding apologies, the Palestinians will win hands down. Israel has far too much to apologize for – 60 plus year occupation, years of land theft, controlling of water, destruction of olive trees, shooting at fishermen, massacres, and the list will go on.

I hope Sanders will not back down.

12. YoniFalic
    YoniFalic
    April 10, 2016, 9:18 am

I read through the Daily News interview.

Daily News: And I’m going to look at 2014, which was the latest conflict. What should Israel have done instead?

Sanders: You’re asking me now to make not only decisions for the Israeli government but for the Israeli military, and I don’t quite think I’m qualified to make decisions. But I think it is fair to say that the level of attacks against civilian areas…and I do know that the Palestinians, some of them, were using civilian areas to launch missiles. Makes it very difficult. But I think most international observers would say that the attacks against Gaza were indiscriminate and that a lot of innocent people were killed who should not have been killed. Look, we are living, for better or worse, in a world of high technology, whether it’s drones out there that could, you know, take your nose off, and Israel has that technology. And I think there is a general belief that, with that technology, they could have been more discriminate in terms of taking out weapons that were threatening them.

Daily News: Do you support the Palestinian leadership’s attempt to use the International Criminal Court to litigate some of these issues to establish that, in their view, Israel had committed essentially war crimes?

Sanders: No.

Daily News: Why not?

Sanders: Why not?

Daily News: Why not, why it…

Sanders: Look, why don’t I support a million things in the world? I’m just telling you that I happen to believe…anybody help me out here, because I don’t remember the figures, but my recollection is over 10,000 innocent people were killed in Gaza. Does that sound right?

Daily News: I think it’s probably high, but we can look at that.

Sanders: I don’t have it in my number…but I think it’s over 10,000. My understanding is that a whole lot of apartment houses were leveled. Hospitals, I think, were bombed. So yeah, I do believe and I don’t think I’m alone in believing that Israel’s force was more indiscriminate than it should have been.

Daily News: Okay. We will check the facts. I don’t want to venture a number that I’m not sure on, but we will check those facts. Now, talk about Hamas. What is it? Is it a terrorist organization?

Sanders: Yes.

Daily News: Okay. Hezbollah too?

Sanders: Yes.

In the first question the interviewer addresses the 2014 IDF rampage (called מִבְצָע צוּק אֵיתָן or Op. Strong Cliff), but three questions later — I may be lost in English tenses — it simply is not clear to me that Sanders is only talking about Strong Cliff, whose name neither the interviewer nor Sanders seems to know.

Maybe Sanders should have clarified “over the course of the conflict from some date to a later dater” or “specifically in 2014”, but really the interviewer was quite incompetent. In an interrogation or a deposition, I would be careful to pin down exactly what a person giving testimony means.

Now if we look over the course of the conflict from 1920 until today, is Sanders correct?

Here are stats from a very biased and prejudiced source.

Gaza and WB casualty figures are not separated, but it is highly probable that Sanders’ number is far too low for total Gaza casualties — at least relative to the time period specified by the Jewish Virtual Library.

bryan
      April 10, 2016, 4:17 pm

I think you are being over-generous to a very decent guy who may not be as well-informed as he ought to be at an outrageous moment of human history – but does it really matter whether it was ten thousand or two thousand, or even only fifteen hundred – these were too many innocent civilians being murdered by a military machine that brooks no opposition. If we say that 5 million or 6 million or 7 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust that makes the event no less outrageous, as long as we recognise that possibly equal or greater numbers of non-Jews were killed in very similar ways. Every life is to be valued, and every life sacrificed because of an absurd ideological vendetta is still an obscenity. No doubt I have crossed so many red lines, and expressed equivalence between things that are not equivalent, but to me the slaughter of innocents, irrespective of their race, religion, background, or quantity is still reprehensible and unforgivable.

YoniFalic
        April 10, 2016, 8:17 pm

Even within a year or so of VE day a typical American would not have been able to name the major battles associated with WW2 or the approximate number of casualties associated with each battle even if said American might have had an overall feel for the total number of casualties during WW2.

13. just
    just
    April 10, 2016, 9:20 am

Quelle surprise! :

“Israeli Army Closes Probe Into Officer Who Killed Fleeing Palestinian Stone-thrower

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.713676?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RIP, Mohammad Kosba.

Who’s next, IEF and Israel?

14. michelle
    michelle
    April 10, 2016, 9:36 am

i hope Sanders doesn’t bow down to ‘Israel’
    better to have misspoken
    than to outright lie
    one child/one person is one too many
    what life isn’t of G-d
    what person isn’t a child of G-d
    G-d Bless

Kay24
      April 10, 2016, 10:31 am

Unfortunately we are talking about a people who are misguided into thinking only THIER children are of God, in fact they think and like they are God’s chosen. Others? According to them they are beasts, children of snakes, or all terrorists. No one can reason with that insane kind of thinking.

15. Kay24
    Kay24
    April 10, 2016, 10:41 am

Here is Sen. Sanders talking to Jake Tapper of CNN explaining what he said.

Sanders accuses Israel of ‘disproportionate’ response in Gaza

Watch the interview:

Bandolero
      April 10, 2016, 11:08 pm

Kay

Pretty good interview by Bernie Sanders. I think with that punch line Bernie can win the argument.

It looks to me a bit as if he took a page from Trump’s playbook here:

1. When attacking the zionist mainstream then first exagerate, but go in the right direction, that will give you a whole lot of media attention, how “outrageous” the remark was
      2. Let the zionist mainstream media spill the beans regarding the facts
      3. Row back on the first agenda setting remark, but at the same time double down with a more moderate punchline in the same direction as the first remark.
      4. The result is getting a lot of attention and win the argument against the mainstream media

Kay24
        April 11, 2016, 6:19 am

Bandolero, it was a good interview, and so very different from the usual nauseating kissing up of American politicians we see when it comes to zio land. However, it is unfortunate it is voice in the wilderness, and no one else will have the spine to talk this way.

Marnie
      April 11, 2016, 10:55 am

Maybe Sen. Sanders should do a “no apologies” like Naftali “I’ve killed Arabs and there’s no problem with that” Bennett? As if israelis, of all God’s lovely children, actually needed a video to be told they don’t apologize! It seems like Americans are always sorry. Bernie – don’t even think about apologizing – hold up your hands, palms upward, shrug your shoulders and say what the israelis say (in lieu of apology or anything else meaningful) – “it was a mistake”. All done and move on.

16. RepresentativePress
    RepresentativePress
    April 10, 2016, 11:12 am

“demands correction”?! They have some balls considering this is what was actually said, hardly a definitive declaration, he is ASKING IF IT IS CORECT! :

Daily News: I think it’s probably high, but we can look at that.

17. Ossinev
    Ossinev
    April 10, 2016, 12:52 pm

@just
    “Military advocate general finds that the officer’s shooting was justified as part of the procedure to arrest a suspect, and that the fact he shot the youth in the upper body instead of in the legs was an operational mistake.”

It is a well known fact that JSIL and the JSILDF are never GUILTY of crimes of any kind shape form whatsoever. But as it states quite clearly in paragraph 1 page 1 of the Hasbara Central manual JSIL like any other country on earth occasionally makes mistakes. This “operational mistake” was probably down to a recently arrived Aliyahised Jewhadi likely as not from Brooklyn who had probably only just completed his basic training. He absolutely did the correct thing by shooting this existentially threatening JSIL deligitimising monstrous stone throwing terrorist in the back but his operational mistake was that when he caught up with him he failed to shoot him in the head ( you know just in case he was carrying suicide stones).

just
      April 10, 2016, 6:55 pm

Thanks for that Ossinev.

Here’s more legalized and state- sponsored fascism, racism, apartheid:

Far-right Activist Gopstein Acquitted of Assaulting Israeli Leftists

The judge dismissed the case against Lehava leader Bentzi Gopstein on the grounds that he may have thought he was attacking Palestinians.

A far-right, anti-Arab activist was acquitted yesterday of assaulting two left-wing activists because the judge said that he could have thought the two people he attacked were Palestinians.

The incident for which Bentzi Gopstein, leader of the Lehava anti-assimilation organization, was indicted occurred in August 2008. Left-wing activists who were in Hebron at the time said they saw settlers throwing stones at Palestinian houses, so two of them, Ezra Nawi and Daniel Dokorovich, went over to the settlers’ houses to tell them to stop. On the way, they ran into Gopstein, who attacked both of them with his fists to keep them from approaching.

The indictment was based on video footage of the incident, and Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court Judge Dov Pollock said the footage clearly showed that an assault took place: Gopstein “pushed Ezra and Elad [another activist] and hit their fingers when they tried to climb the fence, and later pushed Daniel and Ezra.”

Nevertheless, he accepted Gopstein’s argument that at the time the incident occurred, he had good reason to think the two people trying to climb the fence might be Palestinian residents of Hebron who were liable to attack the Jewish residents. Moreover, he noted, military orders forbid Palestinians from entering Hebron’s Jewish enclave, so had the two men actually been Palestinians, they would have been trying to enter the area illegally.

Pollock acknowledged that this line of defense is valid only if Gopstein could legitimately have thought the Jewish activists were Palestinians. However, he wrote, that wasn’t inconceivable, because “the groups that come to protest [in Hebron] often contain both Jewish leftists and Palestinian Arabs.”

Assaf Sharon, the left-wing activist who videotaped the assault, said in response to the acquittal. “Any reasonable person who watched the video clip and then read the verdict couldn’t help but be impressed by Judge Pollock’s acrobatics.”

After the verdict was handed down, Gopstein wrote …, “There’s no doubt my actions were justified, and when I saw Nawi and his gang breaking into the neighborhood, I defended the residents. Had I known it was Nawi, I believe I would have acted more forcefully. It’s time for the prosecution to put Nawi on trial.”

Gopstein’s attorney, Itzhak Bam, said, “Ezra Nawi is a man who is all provocation, and I’m happy with the decision of the court, which didn’t buy the provocations of Ezra Nawi and his anarchist friends.””

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.713745?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That’s one heckuva “speedy” trial, too….. ugh. My guess is that Gopstein next stop is the Knesset or the office of the PM.

18. just
    just
    April 10, 2016, 5:03 pm

Check this out from Max B. and Carlos Latuff:

“Sanders Gets it Mostly Right on Gaza, but Cheerleaders for Israeli Brutality Attack Him Anyway

An exclusive Latuff cartoon on Israel lobby outrage over Sanders’ comments on Israel’s 2014 massacre of Gaza civilians.”

ritzl
      April 10, 2016, 6:37 pm

Jeez:

“In an interview with the New York Daily News, a tabloid owned by ultra-Zionist multi-billionaire Mort Zuckerman, … [not to mention the interviewer himself]”

Sanders didn’t seem to take the opportunity to explicitly and clearly call out either the Zionist owner or the Zioniat interviewer as bigoted/racist. Not even close. By Allison Weir (yeah back to that again, but a threshold was set and everyone was beaten over the head with it…something about “not being tolerated”) standards Sanders should be deemed a bigot and ostracized.

And there’s Blumenthal, one of the people who led the charge against Weir and who wrote a book about extensive Zionist racism in Israel, completely silent about an IDENTICAL, current situation involving Sanders and Zionism. Either Blumenthal, et. al., mean what they say about bigotry universally, or they don’t.

It appears they don’t.

Do Blumenthal, et. al., believe Zionism is at least a form of bigotry, if not outright, flame-on racism? Do they believe what they said about Weir, that she, above all, needed to directly contest her interviewer’s racist history in real time? That one is not serious unless one does so in every situation one finds one’s self in?

The answer to that would appear to be a resounding, it depends.

Blumenthal needs to explain. He either made a mistake with Weir and hopes everyone forgets about it or he’s a flaming hypocrite of the “Jews are exempt” variety, or he doesn’t actually believe Zionism is bigotry (in which case what was “Goliath” about again), or the interviewer wasn’t really a bigot, or something.

I don’t get it. The selectivity is astounding and destructive.

Latuff needs to be less movement-“elite” buddy-buddy and ask some questions.

Palestinians are really poorly served by such gaping double standards. So many people who say they advocate for Palestinian justice really seem to other primary goals in mind. Goals that are between 1° and 89° out of phase with directly pursuing that justice. I don’t know. It’s bizarre.

—–

Sorry, just. That article floored me. IDENTICAL situation. Completely different treatment by the same individual.

just
        April 10, 2016, 6:45 pm

No “sorry” necessary, ritzl.

I was somewhat similarly struck~ you bring up great points.

echinococcus
        April 10, 2016, 9:01 pm

Ritzl,
        Downright brilliant. So obvious and yet so rarely heard.

Sibiriak
        April 10, 2016, 9:38 pm

ritz: completely silent about an IDENTICAL, current situation involving Sanders and Zionism
        ——————

Just so I understand you correctly, are you referring specifically to Alison Weir’s appearances on Clay Douglas’ program and saying that situation was identical to Sander’s interview with the Zionist-owned New York Daily News where he said Israel killed thousands, leveled apartment houses, bombed hospitals and used force indiscriminately?

ritzl
        April 11, 2016, 12:29 am

Yes Sibiriak. It’s identical because the charges leveled against Weir were that she went on the show in the first place, and having gone on the show she didn’t directly or sufficiently confront the interviewer’s underlying ideology.

Is listing Israel’s latest abuses directly contesting the underlying supremacist ideology? I don’t believe it is. It’s listing abuses/events, and only the most recent ones at that. The dehumanizing belief system that led to the latest slaughter, and will lead to the next one, went unchallenged.

Sanders went on Zionist (bigoted) radio and let the 70-year pattern of murderous Zionist behavior go largely unchallenged. Weir went on white supremacist radio and let that pattern of bigotry go largely unchallenged. The situations are identical, imo.

But this isn’t about either Sanders or Weir. I get what both of them were doing – getting their message out to varied audiences. I applaud this. It takes (and shows) courage and discipline. No, this is about the decider-people that give one person a pass for doing so and not the other. The people who do NOT seem to think that Zionism is as bad as all the other supremacist ideologies out there. People that cleave off whole segments of Palestinian support for alleged bigotry while winking at Zionism – the very reason Palestinians need support so desperately in the first place.

I get where you’re going with this Sibiriak. I just disagree with your parsing (not used in a derogatory sense) criteria.

Sibiriak
        April 11, 2016, 1:01 am

ritzl: Weir went on white supremacist radio and let that pattern of bigotry go largely unchallenged
        ———–

This is where I disagree with you slightly. Weir didn’t just let a pattern of bigotry go unchallenged, she effectively reinforced that bigotry. Clay Douglas runs a tight ship and he brought her on to his show for one reason and one reason only: to reinforce his talking points. And she did such a good job at that, and he was so pleased with her performance, that she was brought back four more times.

Now, it’s true that Sanders did not launch off into a radical critique of the underlying ideology of Zionism. I agree with you there. But clearly talking about thousands of deaths, bombing of hospitals etc. was NOT a reinforcement of mainstream Zionist talking points–as proven by the furious and frenzied Zionist reaction.

None of the above means I ever supported the “banning” of Weir. My record of posts on that is clear. There are major divisions within the Palestinian solidarity camp and the various sides should feel free to criticize views they disagree with– but I think it should be kept at the level of criticism, not attempts at “banning” or “gate-keeping”, except in the most extreme cases.

ritzl
        April 11, 2016, 1:49 am

Sibiriak,

“In any case, I don’t want to reopen the debate on the Weir affair, so I’ll leave it at that.”

Peace.

19. just
    just
    April 10, 2016, 6:06 pm

O/T (sort of…)

“$655.5 Million Award for U.S. Victims of Palestinian Terrorism Faces Legal Test …

The Second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan is hearing arguments this week against a lower court award of hundreds of millions of dollars to 10 families who were victims of terrorist attacks blamed on the Palestinian Authority and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

The attacks in the early 2000s killed 33 people and wounded more than 400. The lower court’s award in February of $218.5 million was automatically tripled to $655.5 million under a U.S. antiterrorism law.

The court will hear arguments on Tuesday as to whether it was legitimate for the U.S. court to hear the case, The Wall Street Journal reports. The PA and the PLO say the U.S. lacks jurisdiction. …

“This appeal goes to the power of the  U.S. congress to exert the long arm of American law against people who kill Americans overseas,” said Kent Yalowitz, a partner at Arnold and Porter LLP, representing the victimes, according to the WSJ.”

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/news/1.713726?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Uh, what about the US bombs etc. used by Israel to terrorize and massacre folks? What about the US citizens who happen to be Palestinian there who are executed and terrorized??? So many questions, too few answers. *crickets*

ritzl
      April 10, 2016, 6:54 pm

Hostage had some great insights on this case. Iirc, something about state actors cannot be prosecuted if acting under US/state policy.

I’ll look it up if I get a chance.

20. yourstruly
    yourstruly
    April 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

Since “only” 532 Palestinian children were killed in the “haircut” that the IDF gave to Gaza almost three years ago, Sanders should apologize. After all during the past year or so didn’t Israel lose a child or two somewhere to Palestinian “terrorists?” 532 to 1 or 2, isn’t this an acceptable kill ratio, considering the Zionist settler’s exceptional value and worthiness compared to those good for nothing Palestinians?

21. MaxNarr
    MaxNarr
    April 10, 2016, 8:35 pm

Does anybody seriously believe any statement from the “Palestinian” ministry of Health? They are known liars and propagandists and use human lives as a tool. Bernie should apologize for this. It’s like just because he is Jewish he feels he has to be anti Israel.

talknic
      April 10, 2016, 11:20 pm

@ MaxNarr April 10, 2016, 8:35 pm

“… the “Palestinian” ministry of Health? They are known liars and propagandists and use human lives as a tool”

Evidence? Thanks …

BTW accusations are not evidence

22. Kay24
    Kay24
    April 10, 2016, 9:56 pm

Despite all those children killed, it seems the present occupant in the WH has been Israels
    best protector: Still Nutty and his merry band of zionists have disrespected him, insulted him,
    and has many times accused him of not supporting them. What a bunch of ingrates.

23. wondering jew
    wondering jew
    April 11, 2016, 5:30 am

On topic: the acceptance of the status quo re: gaza, since sharon left the scene, with its periodic killing of thousands, is certainly a sign of the do-nothing phase embodied by Netanyahu and not a topic that should be so easy to gloss over by Michael oren and other apologists. Gaza has always been a vulnerability in Israel’s self image: the inundation of refugees in 48 never solved, allowed to fester for quite some time. I would get gershon Baskin (he negotiated the gilad shalit prisoner exchange) to negotiate a separate modus operandi with gaza. (Baskin opposes such a separate peace because it would promote hamas violence rather than fatah.), but I am so impatient with the status quo, that I would try to tackle that problem immediately.

wondering jew
      April 11, 2016, 5:46 am

Regarding Bernie Sanders, the man talks like a street corner nut, an old uncle who might liven up the seder with his old style leftist politics, but not a doer, a talker and old and a bit of a joke. Well Donald trump has shown us that there are no jokes in 2016 and we have hillary to thank for all this ferment for never has there been a more discouraging presentiment as there is for this woman who has been on the scene for 25 years when the American attention span never very long has grown even shorter. The weakest democratic candidate since dukakis or maybe even mondale.

Plus there is alienation vis a vis wall street, an anger that Obama in his cool and need to play it cool could not mine and so the anger has been sitting there since 2008 and behold the loudmouth on the street corner is running for president.

Mooser
      April 11, 2016, 12:00 pm

“On topic: the acceptance of the status quo re: gaza, since sharon left the scene, with its periodic killing of thousands, is certainly a sign of the do-nothing phase embodied by Netanyahu…”

The “periodic killing of thousands” is a “do-nothing phase”? You are sick, “Yonah”, but don’t expect the rest of us to join in your sickness.

Mooser
      April 11, 2016, 12:02 pm

“Regarding Bernie Sanders, the man talks like a street corner nut, an old uncle who might liven up the seder with his old style leftist politics”

“Yonah” why are you so ashamed of Jews?

24. RobertHenryEller
    RobertHenryEller
    April 11, 2016, 8:48 am

So how many times has Senator Sanders been referred to as a “self-hating Jew” by right-wing Zionists at this point?

I wonder how dangerous right-wing Zionists think Sanders is to their cause.

I wonder how many right-wing Zionists think Sanders is as potentially dangerous to Israel as they thought Yitzhak Rabin was.

25. TroyM
    TroyM
    April 11, 2016, 8:56 am

I am laughing at people’s criticizing Sanders, and defending Israel’s killings of civilians.
    “Ohh Sanders is a bad person because his number are not right on blaming Israel on how many kids they killed, Murderers(Israel) are good people because they kill less kids than Sanders said. Sanders better apologize making murderers look bad. ”
    Are you guys out of your minds!

Kay24
      April 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Yep, out of their minds defending a brutal occupation, and stealing from those they occupy.

The outrage is mostly fake.

26. Vera Gottlieb