Eric Alterman wastes ten days in Israel

US Politics

Eric Alterman just spent ten days in Israel and produced an article for The Nation titled “As Israel Drifts Further to the Right, Haaretz Remains a Beacon of Hope.” His angle is that the Israeli newspaper and the center-left are unable to counter the rightwing forces of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which are “slowly and systematically undermining” Israeli democracy.

The forecast, therefore, is bleak. All the more reason to raise a glass to Haaretz, which remains a lonely light unto the journalistic nations even as Israel descends, tragically, more deeply into darkness

Alterman wasted the trip:

–He states against the evidence that the security fence worked.

In terms of security, Israelis remain uneasy about frequent “lone-wolf intifada” attacks, most recently the horrific stabbing murder of a sleeping 13-year-old girl on June 30. But the “security fence” (or “apartheid wall,” as some call it) has ended the threat of large-scale suicide bombings.

–He says nothing about Israel’s extrajudicial executions of alleged Palestinian assailants.

–He glosses quickly over the Moshe Ya’alon/military uprising against Netanyahu, providing no sense of its importance.

Netanyahu appears to have overreached in attacking the (somewhat) sacred institution of the military by forcing out the respected and highly critical defense minister, Moshe Ya’alon, and appointing the inexperienced far-right ideologue Avigdor Lieberman….

There is no reference to fascism charges made by everyone from Moshe Ya’alon to now Yitzhak Herzog. There is no reference to General Yair Golan’s assertion that Israeli political culture is similar to Nazi Germany. And no reference to the murdering medic, whose execution of a Palestinian lying incapacitated on the ground in occupied Hebron in March led to that crisis.

–There is no mention at all of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS), even to attack it. BDS is obviously the bugaboo of the Netanyahu government. Netanyahu and his American friends denounce it all the time. Both the Republican and Democratic Parties repudiate BDS in their platforms, and Alterman has opposed it on earlier occasions.

Alterman, who has openly taken Israel’s side in the conflict, has spent his career as the media vizier at The Nation effectively dissecting the U.S. press. When is he going to start dissecting the American mainstream media coverage of Israel, which is its greatest flaw?

James North and Philip Weiss
About James North and Philip Weiss

1. Steve Grover
    Steve Grover
    July 15, 2016, 7:19 pm

” There is no reference to General Yair Golan’s assertion that Israeli political culture is similar to Nazi Germany”

Heil Weiss. Heil North.

James North
      July 15, 2016, 7:33 pm

Mooser: Teach your sock puppet to read. It wasn’t Weiss or North who compared Israeli political culture to Nazi Germany, but Israel’s own General Yair Golan.

Steve Grover
        July 15, 2016, 8:01 pm

Would it make you and Weiss feel better if I through in a Heil Golan too?

eljay
        July 15, 2016, 8:11 pm

I think what Steve Grover was doing there is what he calls a “zinger”. Either that, or he let slip his collaborationist tendencies.

Steve Grover
        July 15, 2016, 9:40 pm

Woops typo…threw not though

Mooser
        July 15, 2016, 11:22 pm

“Mooser: Teach your sock puppet to read.”

Look James, I don’t blame you for being irritated, that is some vile “heils” from “Steve Grover”.
        But I’ve told you already, I can’t help myself! Something comes over me and all the “Jewish self-hatred” and “internalized anti-semitism” comes boiling up, over, and I log in under the “Steve Grover” sock-puppet account, and away I go.

So I’m pleading with you, “North”. Please help me. If Mondo doesn’t cut me off, I won’t be able to do it myself.

Talkback
      July 16, 2016, 9:53 am

Steve Grover using the Nazi salute. No, I am not surprised.

Steve Grover
        July 16, 2016, 12:33 pm

Talkback,
        That is the only proper response when someone says or implies that Israeli society is Nazi like. But you seem to hate Israel enough to not understand this.

James North
        July 16, 2016, 12:46 pm

Mooser: Enough already. Tell your sock puppet “Grober” that an Israeli general said Israeli society was “Nazi like,” not Mondoweiss.

Mooser
        July 16, 2016, 1:15 pm

“Mooser: Enough already. Tell your sock puppet “Grober”

Why are you berating a sick old man, “James”? I tell you again, I can’t help myself.
        Something very, very sick comes out of me when I do “Steve Grover”. When I come out of it and see what I have written,I am morbidly ashamed.

You will have to help me. I might mention sock-puppeting is definitely a banning offense, and a danger to a website. Please!

” that an Israeli general said Israeli society was “Nazi like,” not Mondoweiss.”

Oh, get over it, “James North”. Every society tends to flatter itself. A perfectly forgivable tendency. Besides, can 200 million Jews be wrong?

Talkback
        July 17, 2016, 11:48 am

Grover: “Talkback,
        That is the only proper response when someone says or implies that Israeli society is Nazi like.”

1.) It was an Israeli General who compared Israel’s 2.) POLITICS to that of Nazi Germany. Why don’t you Hitler salute him?

“But you seem to hate Israel enough to not understand this.”

Your accusation of hate is stupid, too. From my experience the Zionists accusation of hate and antisemitism is just to distract from their own blatant racism. So easy test question for you: Do you agree that Jews and Nonjews are equal and should have the same rights in Israel/Palestine whether they live their or wish to return? No answer means no.

Mooser
        July 17, 2016, 2:43 pm

“Do you agree that Jews and Nonjews are equal and should have the same rights in Israel/Palestine whether they live their or wish to return?”

Don’t answer that question “Grover”! It’s a trick question! If you say “yes” you are admitting that the God-ordained ‘return’ of 200 million (well, maybe we all won’t go) Jews to Israel is on the same level as the materialistic desire of the Palestinians to regain their homes and property and country.
        That’s just people looking for an easy solution to material problems.
        But Zionism is a huge sacrifice the Jewish people are making, to validate God’s Word. (Which, I might add, the Palestinians are defying!) Hardly the same, is it?
        Don’t get drawn into that trap, “Grover”, by answering ‘yes, Jews and Palestinians have the same rights…’
        Besides, with as many as 200 million Jews returning, to Israel, where can the Palestinians fit.

(There, I hope that works for me!)

Talkback
        July 18, 2016, 8:40 am

Mooser: “Don’t answer that question “Grover”! It’s a trick question!”

Like I said. No answer means “no” which proves my point that Steve wants to distract from his inner Nazi.

Mooser
        July 18, 2016, 1:29 pm

“Like I said. No answer means “no”

Exactly, “Talkback”. Thanks.

Steve Grover
        July 18, 2016, 2:05 pm

@talkbalk,

Mooser
        July 18, 2016, 2:37 pm

“The only valid assumption is if there is no response, my response has been deleted.”

Well, I’ve been begging the Mods to help me with this. I told them I was outa control, and they would have to help me.

They should have banned me the first time I tried using a sock-puppet.

annie
        July 18, 2016, 2:41 pm

no brainer!!!

Talkback
        July 19, 2016, 1:24 pm

(delete)

Talkback
        July 19, 2016, 1:24 pm

Steve Grover: The only valid assumption is if there is no response, my response has been deleted.”

Sure. Mondoweiss deleted your positive response to my question:

Heil Steve!

2. jd65
    jd65
    July 16, 2016, 1:23 am

You guys got the title of the article wrong. It’s supposed to read: Eric Alterman is a waste.

3. Arby
    Arby
    July 17, 2016, 5:32 am

This is interesting. I’m not surprised that Eric would validate the obscene wall that Nazi Netanyahu built. I believe it was on Off Guardian that the subject of comprised Left media came up. The Nation was mentioned and I added my view that I lost my affection for The Nation years ago when I realized that it’s position that the Democratic Party will save us from the Republicans was awful. And I remember being particularly soured on a few writers there, including Eric. I don’t remember exactly what it was. Mother Jones is another alt media org that I sadly no longer trust to be a people’s champion, since discovering that it has both disappeared my pro Brexit comments (I’m not rightwing) and blocked me (http://bit.ly/29KOYrW). The darkness is still spreading and it’s deep. Stay human humans.

jimby
      July 17, 2016, 9:58 am

The Nation, NPR, NY Times etc are all dependent on subscriptions from pseudo liberal progressives except Palestine (PEP) . If the Times was truly open minded instead of devout zionist they would lose Westchester county, that’s the bread and buter for the Times. Heads would roll. I always remind myself that it was the Times that single-handedly brought us the Spainish American War. They are following a great tradition, I just can’t bring myself to reading that rotten rag. Alterman is a perfect example of PEP. Why would we expect otherwise. And yes the Nation is just an appendage of the Democratic party. They used to get my money.

jd65
      July 17, 2016, 9:17 pm

@ Arby and jimby:

I lost my affection for The Nation years ago when I realized that it’s position that the Democratic Party will save us from the Republicans was awful…

Agreed w/ all of the above. When I saw the documentary on Ralph Nader An Unreasonable Man and had to sit through Alterman’s disgustingly myopic, simplistic, shortsighted, thoroughly mean-spirited and self-serving B.S. tirades against Nader (not to mention his equally full-of-crap twin Todd Gitlin), I immediately knew that I could never have any respect for such a brainwashed, party-line whore. Let alone his PEP credentials (maybe this is related to his attitude toward Nader?…). I honestly do not understand many folks’ lap dog relationship to the Democratic Party. It’s inexplicable, it’s a giant problem, and Alterman can go to hell.

Generations from now, is it going to be Nader, or Alterman, who will be remembered for representing the true spirit of core “American/Democratic Values,” honestly and tirelessly working for Justice in the concrete sense, and actually being responsible for making people’s lives better and safer? Hint: it won’t be Alterman.