Trending Topics:

Two Palestinian teenagers killed in most intense Israeli daytime assault on Gaza since 2014

Israel/Palestine
on 4 Comments

After two Palestinian teenagers has been killed, and hundreds more wounded by Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, an Egyptian-led ceasefire was called on Saturday night between Israel and the Hamas and Islamic Jihad movements, who had fired several rockets into Israeli territory, injuring at least three people.

According to international media, and the Israeli army, Saturday’s Israeli onslaught on the besieged Gaza strip marked the most intense daytime assault on the coastal enclave since Israel’s 2014 offensive which left nearly 2,000 Palestinians dead.

The two slain Palestinian teens were identified by the Gaza Health Ministry as Amir al-Nimri, 15, and Luay Kaheel, 16. They were killed when Israeli airstrike targeted a semi-abandoned building in western Gaza.

Witnesses reportedly said the two were playing on the roof of the building when they were killed, Al-Jazeera reported.

The Israeli army claimed the purpose of its strikes were twofold: first, as a response to rockets fired from the Gaza Strip, and secondly, in response to “incendiary kites” being flown from Gaza that have been starting fires on Israeli farmland in recent weeks.

“The Israeli armed forces delivered the strongest blow against Hamas since [the 2014 Gaza war] and we will increase the intensity of our attacks as necessary,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.

The Hamas movement, however, has said that its rockets and the incendiary kites are part of a natural reaction to Israel’s use of excessive force against the peaceful popular “Great March of Return” protests that began on March 30.

Since the massive protests began, Israel has killed at least 130 Palestinian demonstrators and injured over 13,000 more, according to the health ministry in Gaza. No Israeli injuries were reported as a result of the demonstrations.

While the march was set to end on May 15th, the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakba, the demonstrations have persisted, along with Israel’s suppression of them.

The tensions in Gaza over the past two months, and the assault on Saturday, have lead many to speculate that a new Israeli war on the besieged territory could be on the horizon.

Right-wing Israeli Minister of Education Naftali Bennett dismissed the ceasefire , saying “we have to allow the IDF to act forcefully, with sophistication and thoroughly,” according to the Jerusalem Post.

yumnapatel
About Yumna Patel

Yumna Patel is a multimedia journalist based in Bethlehem, Palestine. Follow her on Twitter at @yumna_patel

Other posts by .


Posted In:

4 Responses

  1. Misterioso
    Misterioso
    July 16, 2018, 9:59 am

    http://normanfinkelstein.com/2018/07/14/child-killers/

    The blood-thirsty, fascistic Zionist monsters excel in murdering children.

    Photo:
    “15-year old Amir and 16-year old Loai, lived as close friends and killed today while playing when Israeli missiles rained down on Al-Katiba site west of Gaza city. 13-07-2018.”

  2. Marnie
    Marnie
    July 16, 2018, 10:59 am

    Netanyahoo says that balloons and kites must stop. Not enough that Hamas said it would stop firing rockets.

    CNN) —” Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has made clear that Israel will now consider arson attacks from Gaza in the same way that it considers launches of rockets and mortars.

    Speaking ahead of his weekly Cabinet meeting Sunday, Netanyahu referenced Saturday’s announcement from Gaza militant groups that a ceasefire had been reached after a serious escalation in tit-for-tat rocket attacks and airstrikes.

    “I heard it being said that Israel has agreed to a ceasefire that would allow the continuation of terrorism by incendiary kites and balloons; this is incorrect,” Netanyahu said. “We are not prepared to accept any attacks against us and we will respond appropriately.”

    The comments came after Hamas and Islamic Jihad, the two largest militant factions in Gaza, said Saturday a ceasefire agreement was reached with Israel. Two hundred projectiles, including rockets and mortars, were fired toward Israel in the previous 24 hours, Israel Defense Forces said. Israel said it carried out what it called its single largest bombing campaign in Gaza since the 2014 war.

    Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum told CNN that “since the start of the Israeli strikes on Gaza, various mediation efforts (led by Egypt) to stop the aggression have succeeded in bringing calm and stopping this aggressive escalation.”

    Islamic Jihad spokesman Daoud Shihab told CNN, “There have been great efforts … to bring back calm to Gaza. We have agreed to the Egyptian efforts and agreed to the calm and ceasefire as of 8 p.m. local time (1 p.m. ET), if the Occupation commits to stopping its aggression,” using “Occupation” to refer to Israel.”

    So like the dirty player that he’s always been, netanyahooo moves the goal post freaking every time it looks like an accord may be reached. Always adding extra demands and conditions. It should be clear to the UN and even the tools at CNN that netanyahoo is declaring war again on Gaza and his goal is as it has been, to kill palestinians and take their lands. Way back in in 2014, netanyahoo again demanded the palestinians recognized the ‘jewish state’. It appeared they did, but when hamas and the PLO decided to be friends, netanyahoo commenced with bombing gaza. I know that 3 jewish yeshiva students kidnapping was used as the excuse and not the fact that the IOF had arrested hundreds of palestinians right before. the ‘state of israel’ can always be counted on to lie, cheat and steal, then cry, cry, cry. Seriously, he is equating balloons and kites to rocket fire. F’cking unreal.

  3. Marnie
    Marnie
    July 16, 2018, 11:00 am

    “using “Occupation” to refer to Israel.”

    Occupation may be new to CNN, but hardly the rest of the world. Feckless cnuts.

  4. Ossinev
    Ossinev
    July 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

    “Child Killers” neatly sums up these Ziosavages and the term should be used more frequently to make those thinking of visiting Zioland think again – particularly young American “birthrighters”.

    The standard Zio defence of Hamas using civilians inc children as “human shields” is increasingly pathetic. Families going about their daily routines including relaxing and playing in what parks remain in the Gaza concentration camp are not “human shields” they are human beings.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/smoke-rises-gaza-israeli-military-renews-bombing-180714112426621.html

    What is there to like about a “state” full of Apartheid Child Killers ?

Leave a Reply