‘The biggest thing you did for Israel’ was breaking Iran deal — Adelson tells Trump

News

Donald Trump’s speech to the Israeli American Council on Saturday night in the presence of his biggest donors, Sheldon and Miriam Adelson, has caused some shock waves. Largely because he referred to Jewish wealth. Here are some surprises from the speech.

The biggest thing Trump did for Israel was breaking the Iran deal, per Sheldon Adelson:

I said to Sheldon, “What do you think was bigger? … Israel and the embassy going in, and it became Jerusalem, the capital of Israel? Or the Golan Heights [recognition as Israeli territory]?” He said, “Neither.” I said, “What do you mean ‘neither,’ Sheldon?” He said, “The biggest thing you did for Israel was breaking up and terminating the horrible, one-sided, catastrophic deal that was made by President Obama.” (Applause.) Right?

I said, “I never thought of it that way, Sheldon, but I agree with you. If you want to know the truth, I agree with you.”

(In 2015, Trump said of Adelson supporting a then-rival: “Sheldon Adelson is looking to give big dollars to [Marco] Rubio because he feels he can mold him into his perfect little puppet.”)

Trump says American Jews don’t love Israel enough — a continuation of his Jews are disloyal to Israel theme of last summer.

We have to get the people of our country, of this country, to love Israel more. I have to tell you that. We have to do it. We have to get them to love Israel more. Because you have people that are Jewish people, that are great people — they don’t love Israel enough. You know that. You know that. (Applause.)

Trump says Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, BDS, is catching on inside the Democratic Party. Some politicians want to “bully” Israel.

As President, I want to be very clear my administration vigorously condemns the BDS campaign against Israel. (Applause.) But sadly, BDS has also made disturbing headway on American college campuses. You know that, don’t you?…

Shockingly, a number of far-left members of Congress have also recently joined the international effort to bully, attack, and denigrate Israel. And it’s incredible what’s been happening with your Congress. Ten years ago, it was unthinkable. Six years ago, it was pretty unthinkable. And now, to see what’s going on and to watch Nancy Pelosi and these people be pushed around is unbelievable… Earlier this year, a number of prominent Democrat lawmakers sponsored legislation to support the BDS movement. You know that, right? Outrageously, the resolution compared boycotting Israel to boycotting Nazi Germany, a grave insult to the memory of the 6 million Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust. You remember that, don’t you, where this was just put before Congress.

This is different. This is different than what it was. This couldn’t have happened 10 years ago; couldn’t have happened. Twenty years ago, it would have been impossible. Ten years ago, it would have been impossible. You’ve got to be very careful. Make no mistake: Radical lawmakers who support the BDS movement are advancing anti-Israel and anti-Semitic propaganda. And Americans will not stand for it. We’re not going to stand for it.

Trump brags of flipping off 40 global leaders who called to try to stop him from recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital (he has told this story before, never so brocaded).

Many, many [U.S.] Presidents said they were going to move the embassy to Jerusalem. And they never did it. And I understand why they never did it. They never did it because when they thought I was going to do it, and when they heard that I was going to make an announcement in two weeks, I started getting calls from everyone. I got calls from presidents. I got calls from prime ministers. I got calls from kings and queens. I got calls from everyone. (Laughter.) “Don’t do it. Don’t do it, please.” Don’t do it. It will be terrible if you do it. It will be horrible if you do it.”

And I heard this from many people. And then the time came closer and closer, and I did something that was smart, because I learned then and there — for that two-week period, I was inundated — I learned why other Presidents, in all fairness to them, why they made the campaign promise but why they never got it off: Because they were besieged by foreign leaders. The top, the biggest people in the world called them. You wouldn’t believe how many; some countries you never even heard of were calling. (Laughter.) I said, “What’s that country all about?” (Laughter.)

And about a week and a half out, I said, “Listen, tell these people I’m going to call them back. I’m so busy.” (Laughter and applause.) True. I said, “Tell them I’m going to call them back. I’ll get to them as soon as I can.” And one week went by, and then three days went by, and then I made the announcement at the White House that we’re moving the embassy to Jerusalem and that Jerusalem will be the capital of Israel. Finally, somebody said it. Right? (Applause.)…

So these days went by, and then I made the phone calls. And I’d call up the kings and I’d call up the queens, and I’d call up everybody — the presidents, the prime ministers. I’d say, “Hi, I’m sorry, I couldn’t get back to you quickly” — (laughter) — “but what’s up?” (Laughter and applause.) “What’s up?”

Trump says he learned the trick of not calling people back from Sheldon Adelson:

Well, I learned all these tricks from Sheldon. So, you know. (Laughter.) So I call: “Hi, King. What’s up? What’s happening?” (Laughter.) He said, “I wanted to tell you I didn’t like you doing that with Israel.” “Oh, man! I wish I called you back a little sooner. I’m sorry.” (Laughter.) Call a president: “What’s up, President?” “I wanted to tell you not to do that, sir. But you’ve done it.” What can I — “Yeah, I wish — you know, I wish I could have gotten you sooner, but I’m so busy.” (Laughter.) I took about 40 of those calls. Right? Everyone was the same: “I wanted to tell you…” I said, “But, you know, in the meantime, it opened and it was, you know, really pretty amazing.”

Trump says there was no violence associated with his announcement. In fact Jerusalem was an impetus for the Great March of Return in Gaza, where hundreds have been killed and thousands maimed by Israeli live fire at the Gaza fence.

And it was a big deal, and it was great. And a day went by, and a second day went by, and there was no violence. I heard there was going to be massive violence. They showed violence — because about 20 people were violent in the front row, but there was nobody behind them. So CNN had the cameras very low, pointing to the sky. It’s true. (Laughter and applause.) It’s true.

They said, “Massive crowds have gathered. Massive crowds.” And I looked, I said, “That’s a strange angle. I’ve never seen that angle.” (Laughter.) It was like — you had a cameraman sitting on the floor pointing up. But every once in a while, you say, “There’s nobody behind the people in the front row. What’s going on?” (Laughter.) And it was a con. It was fake news as usual.

Trump speaks of Jews with wealth who will be opposed to Democratic progressive tax legislation.

A lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You’re brutal killers. (Laughter.) Not nice people at all. But you have to vote for me; you have no choice. You’re not going to vote for Pocahontas [his slur for Elizabeth Warren], I can tell you that. (Laughter and applause.) You’re not going to vote for the wealth tax. “Yeah, let’s take 100 percent of your wealth away.” No, no. Even if you don’t like me; some of you don’t. Some of you I don’t like at all, actually. (Laughter.) And you’re going to be my biggest supporters because you’ll be out of business in about 15 minutes, if they get it. So I don’t have to spend a lot of time on that.

The comments have drawn widespread criticism for fueling a prejudice against Jews as wealthy.

Trump says if anyone can make a deal between Israel and Palestine, it’s Jared Kushner, his son-in-law, who “loves Israel.”

And we have a lot of politicians here tonight, but I have to ask a man that happens to be a truly brilliant young man. I’m a little bit prejudiced when I say that. But he loves Israel and he’s fighting hard for Israel. He wants to make peace with your neighbors. And a lot of people say that can’t be done. A lot of people say it can’t be done; it’s the hardest of all deals.

I love deals, and I used to hear the toughest of all deals is peace with Israel and the Palestinians. They say that’s the toughest of all deals. But if Jared Kushner can’t do it, it can’t be done. (Applause.) Thank you, Jared. Thank you, Jared. Incredible job he’s doing. He wants to see that. And he loves Israel — that, I can tell you.

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. Misterioso on December 9, 2019, 9:52 am

Mad with power, Trump and Adelson are dragging the U.S. into the sewer and laying the foundation for the end of its “Special Relationship” with “Israel.”

2. eljay on December 9, 2019, 10:01 am

U.S. President Donald Trump: Bought and paid for by Israel, Zionists and the (pro-)Israel lobby.

• Maghlawatan on December 10, 2019, 11:40 pm

Zionism is under huge pressure from BDS. You can tell from the lawfare and decisions that will cause more trouble down the line.

@nytpolitics

Martina Navratilova
      @Martina
      50m
      Replying to
      @nytpolitics
      So is Ivanka not an American anymore? And Jared? They are what exactly?!?

Martina Navratilova
      @Martina
      58m
      Replying to
      @nytpolitics
      So American Jews will now be just Jews and Americans?!?
      Did you ask them, donny? Did you ask the Jews if it’s ok with them ?!? Didn’t think so…

3. Misterioso on December 9, 2019, 10:29 am

With supporters like Sheldon and Miriam Adelson and their puppet, non-presidential President Trump, “Israel” needs no enemies:

“Trump Enthralls Adelson Assembly, Repels American Jews and Sticks a Dagger in AIPAC” Haaretz, Dec. 9/19, by Chemi Shalev

“The president’s 45-minute self-laudatory speech to IAC had two glaring omissions: Right-wing anti-Semitic violence and one Benjamin Netanyahu.”

“Love or loathe him, Donald Trump gave Israelis of all political stripes a poignant moment full of pride and naches on Sunday Night. Trump’s physical embrace with members of the special-needs Shalva band right after they sang God Bless America to his attentive ears was the one highlight of the Israeli American Council conference in Washington that will stir the hearts of all Israelis, right, left and center.

“Not that the rest of Trump’s performance – as seen on a live stream – was boring or unremarkable. On the contrary, in the annals of relations between Israel and the United States, there’s probably been nothing like it. In between rambling and sometimes incomprehensible depictions of the minute details of his own foresight and courage, Trump gave settler-supporting, Palestinian-despising Israelis and Jews 45 minutes of pure heaven.

“He blasted Iran, denigrated Palestinians and even pronounced that his May 2018 embassy move had miraculously made Jerusalem into the capital of Israel. He delighted the enthusiastic crowd by managing to insult Native Americans with his reference to Elizabeth Warren as ‘Pocahontas’ while concurrently hurling a vaguely anti-Semitic slur at his business-minded, wealth-oriented Jewish audience, which, he said, would naturally resist Warren’s tax-taking policies.

“Proving once again that no one hates liberal Jews like non-liberal Jews, Trump garnered another round of applause and chants of ‘Four more years’ by equating a vote for his rivals with disloyalty to Israel. He blasted anti-Semitism and even gave his newly appointed federal anti-Semitism czar Elan Carr a few minutes to laud the president’s unyielding opposition, but failed to mention the kind of anti-Semitism that is uppermost on the minds of American Jews – the right-wing kind that led to the Pittsburgh massacre and others – mainly because he knows they believe that he is partly responsible for it in the first place.

“Also absent, most notably, from both Trump’s speech and Miriam Adelson’s glowing introduction – which could have furnished the opening pages of the Book of Trump she thinks should be added to the Bible – was any mention whatsoever of one Benjamin Netanyahu. The man for whom Adelson set up a newspaper and invested hundreds of millions in its free and costly distribution, the prime minister still being touted by his fans as Trump’s best friend forever, was suddenly rendered invisible. A non-entity. Persona non-grata. The man who never was.

“Nonetheless, for right-wing Israelis and American Jews who believe Adelson’s adulating depiction of Trump as ‘the greatest president,’ it was a joyous celebration of his unyielding, one-sided support for Israel, which he reiterated from the podium. For everyone else, including the vast majority of U.S. Jews, Trump’s speech must have been excruciating – and his rousing reception by the Israeli-American audience more than slightly nauseating.

“It would have been a field day for American anti-Semites too, were it not for the fact that most of them are such firm Trump fans. Under any other circumstances, the sight of a U.S. president serving as speaker, host and stand up comedian at a gala funded and orchestrated by a gambling magnate who just happens to be the top Republican donor – and, who, by sheer coincidence, approved of Trump’s every word – could have been added as an appendix to the ‘Protocols of the Elders of Zion.'”

• echinococcus on December 9, 2019, 4:09 pm

” For everyone else, including the vast majority of U.S. Jews, Trump’s speech must have been excruciating – and his rousing reception by the Israeli-American audience more than slightly nauseating.”

The hate of Trump now trumps Zionist loyalty for Democrats and other liberal Zionists.
      Who knows, that may yet turn out to be a gift to Palestinian resistance..

“The man for whom Adelson set up a newspaper and invested hundreds of millions in its free and costly distribution, the prime minister still being touted by his fans as Trump’s best friend forever, was suddenly rendered invisible. A non-entity. Persona non-grata. The man who never was. ”

Want more proof that the United and Zionist states are under one and the same ownership?

• just on December 10, 2019, 8:36 pm

This did not take long… check this out, Misterioso:

“Report: Trump plans to sign an executive order that effectively interprets Judaism as a nationality

The president plans to sign an order that would withhold federal money from educational institutions that fail to combat anti-Semitism, the New York Times reports:

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a nationality, not just a religion, to trigger a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity to discuss the matter before the announcement.

In signing the order, Mr. Trump will use his executive power to take action where Congress has not, essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change at a time of rising tension on campuses over anti-Semitism as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement against Israel.

The news has been met with skepticism and alarm from critics who worry the policy would interfere with free speech and cast any defense of Palestinian autonomy as anti-Semitic, among other things. …”

Keep shredding human rights and the US Constitution, Trumpco and Congress… just keep ’em coming, eh?

• Maghlawatan on December 10, 2019, 11:45 pm

This is all about the IHRA definition which says that anti Zionism
        is anti Semitic.
        They are so afraid of BDS.

• Talkback on December 11, 2019, 5:54 am

Don’t fall for Zionist manipulations. The IHRA only adopted these two sentences in the box.

Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.

The EUMC and IHRA definitions are set out differently. The EUMC 38-word working definition is distinguished from the rest of the text by being set in bold type. The same text in the IHRA definition is not only also in bold type, it’s enclosed in a box which contains the longer part of a prefatory sentence that begins outside the box.[12] The European Coordination of Committees and Associations for Palestine states that on 12 September 2017 the IHRA Permanent Office in Berlin replied to their inquiry thusly. “[…] The Plenary of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) adopted the working definition of antisemitism under the Romanian Chairmanship on 26 May 2016. The working definition, like all IHRA decision, is non-legally binding. The working definition is the text in the box…

Many example that follow are just a Zionist wishlist, but the question if they are antisemitic depends on the overall context.

What manipulative people do is that they ignore what’s actually part of definition of antisemitism and the overall context of statements to smear anyone they like to shield not only Israel’s atrocities, but even the crimes individual Jews or groups of them.

Nowadays it seems to be antisemitic to even drop the name “George Soros”.

4. Mooser on December 9, 2019, 1:11 pm

Phil, did you happen to see the statement put out by the IAC about Trump’s speech?
    Pretty sure it was written well in advance of the event. It’s a doozy.
    They thank Trump for speaking at their “non-political” event, and laud him for striking great blows against “hate” and anti-semitism!

• Mooser on December 9, 2019, 6:31 pm

Well, it’ll be a relief to be done with all that right-wing fainting and pearl-clutching whenever Rep. Ilhan Omar tweets.

5. Tom Suarez on December 9, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thanks, Phil.
    One point… Regarding, A lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You’re brutal killers,” I wonder about the word “killers”. To my ears he said “…you’re brutal realtors“, and I understood it as a racist comment about Jewish landlords.

• Tom Suarez on December 9, 2019, 7:14 pm

(addendum to my comment above: the JTA, for example, understood Trump’s word as “killers”, while e.g. the Times of Israel understood it as I did, “realtors”. I listened to it again and it is indeed unclear…)

• Mooser on December 10, 2019, 12:32 pm

Trump uses the word “killers” or “killer” as a sort of thug compliment.
      Uses it all the time. I doubt he can even say “realtor” about now.

• Talkback on December 11, 2019, 6:29 am

Mooser: “Trump uses the word “killers” or “killer” as a sort of thug compliment.”

• Talkback on December 10, 2019, 1:04 pm

Trump definitely used the word “killers”. I can hear very clearly the plosive “k” followed by the short vocal sound instead of a liquid “r” and a long vocal followed by a plosive “t” sound.

• echinococcus on December 11, 2019, 1:04 am

Is this related to today’s discussion (in the right to exist thread) on the right of Phoneticians to have their own nation?

6. Mayhem on December 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

• eljay on December 10, 2019, 11:25 am

|| Mayhem: The fakeness of the Iran deal has been exposed since we have observed Iran wilfully exploiting the absence of a deal to move toward to a nuclear capability for which it had originally professed no intentions. ||

Party A and Party B make a deal. Party A breaks the deal, so Party B is no longer bound by it.

Rather than conclude that a deal existed until Party A broke it, you Zionistically conclude that the original deal was “fake” and blame Party B for not respecting this “fake” deal that Party A broke.

The Zionist mind is a truly strange place.

• Mayhem on December 11, 2019, 10:17 pm

• annie on December 11, 2019, 10:38 pm

mayhem, you’re being disingenuous. there’s no evidence iran would not have stuck with the deal had the US not dropped out. there was no lie.

implicit in the understanding of a deal is that if there is not one, neither party is bound to it. that’s common sense.

• just on December 11, 2019, 10:47 pm

Mayhem~ that’s completely illogical bs. Did you ever study truth or logic at all? Seems you only blindly follow creepy ideology.

Iran never broke the deal. Trump broke it.

• Talkback on December 12, 2019, 1:04 am

Mayhem: “Party B (Iran) breaks the deal by lying …”

Say who? The Prime Liar of Israel state who threatens Iran with a pre-emptive strike? And who did, no does actually believe this psychopath?

The US unilaterally broke the deal in 2018 on Israel’s behalf and tried to bully Iran into renegotiating the treaty by emposing economic sanctions of the “highest level”. But Europe and the JCPOA refused to go along with it.
        That didn’t go well with Israel and suddenly Netayanhu has one of his embarrassing low-iQ presentations, but the IAEA didn’t take it at face value. And in October 2018 even the International Court of Justice ruled that Trump’s decision to reimpose sanctions on Iran was unfounded given its compliance with the JCPOA.

Netanyahu is a hopeless case, but is it still possible for you to stop repeating lies?

• eljay on December 12, 2019, 5:52 am

|| Mayhem: @eljay, you seem to have confused yourself by failing to consider the chronology:
        Party A and Party B make a deal. Party B (Iran) breaks the deal by lying and subterfuge about its nuclear ambitions so Party A (United States) is no longer bound by it. ||

You seem to have confused yourself by being a Zionist.

Iran honoured the deal, Israel claimed that Saddam…sorry, Iran had lied and the U.S. – under President Donald “Grand Marshal of the Israeli Day Parade” Trump – dutifully did Israel’s bidding and scuttled the deal.

• Mooser on December 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

“The fakeness of the Iran deal…originally professed no intentions.” “Mayhem”

Idiot! That simply shows how real the Iran deal is. With the deal, compliance. Without the deal, no compliance. Why would you expect Iran to hold to a deal which the US backed out of?

• Maghlawatan on December 10, 2019, 11:57 pm

Zionism’s mortal enemies are brown people and lefties.
        This is very hard for Beitar Jerusalem fans because they are brown people.

Zionism is a child that has stayed up too late.

• Talkback on December 11, 2019, 6:26 am

Maghlawatan: “Zionism’s mortal enemies are brown people and lefties”.

It’s enemies are brown people? Every Apartheid state is maintained by brown people. Everyone who believes that one people is less than another or not even human is brown. Israel is full of brown people.

People like Jabotinsky admired Mussolini. It’s not a surprise that most of the places and streets in Israel are named after him. Followed by the terrorist Begin.

• Talkback on December 10, 2019, 12:46 pm

Let us expose the fakeness of your claims, Mayhem.

It was the US that unilaterally violated this deal by reimposing sanctions againt Iran, because Israel has never liked that deal. The EU has been doing nothing to protect Iran against these illegal sanctions. And after Iran tolerated that these members were not meeting their commitments for a year it started to roll back its own commitments while persuing Article 36 of this treaty which is very much alive since the European parties did not trigger a mechanism in this treaty last week that could renew UN sanctions against Iran.

Meanwhile in November 2019 the US and Israel voted against the resolutions “Establishment of a nuclear-weapon-free zone in the region of the Middle East” and “The risk of nuclear proliferation in the Middle East” which recalls that “that Israel remains the only State in the Middle East that has not yet become a party to the Treaty” and reaffirms “the importance of Israel’s accession to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and placement of all its nuclear facilities under comprehensive International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards, in realizing the goal of universal adherence to the Treaty in the Middle East; ”

But US psychopaths like Pompeo have the audacity to claim that the “United States fully supports the IAEA’s monitoring and verification activities in Iran, and we are alarmed at Iran’s lack of adequate cooperation. IAEA inspectors must be allowed to conduct their critical work unimpeded. We call on Iran to immediately resolve all open issues with the IAEA and to afford Agency inspectors the privileges and immunities to which they are entitled.”

7. brent on December 10, 2019, 1:22 am

While it’s easy to detest Trump, likely he will eventually put down a deal. Let’s hope after is all said and done, the interests of Palestine will be advanced.

Dealmakers know a buy-in from both sides is required. Trump apparently wants to make the toughest deal of all so we may see what savvy Abbas and Erekat bring to the table.

8. James Canning on December 10, 2019, 9:18 am

Wrecking the Iran nuclear deal is a policy as reckless as it is idiotic. But Trump is correct to note the great wealth and power of Jews in the US.

9. Misterioso on December 10, 2019, 9:49 am

With raving Zionist zealots Sheldon and Miriam Adelson at his side, Trump reveals his true colors and makes a complete fool of himself at the annual conference of the Israeli-American Council:

“Trump Widely Rebuked for Pushing ‘Blatant Anti-Semitism.'” Truthdig, Dec. 9/19, by Andrea Germanos.

“President Donald Trump was accused Sunday of ‘pushing blatant antisemitism’ and repeating his racist use of the word ‘Pocahontas’ during a speech he gave Saturday evening at the annual conference of the Israeli-American Council.

“’Trump’s antisemitism and his racism are two sides of the same coin,’ said Yonah Lieberman, co-founder of progressive Jewish group IfNotNow.

“In the remarks that were widely condemned on social media, Trump said that some people of the Jewish faith in the U.S. ‘don’t love Israel enough’ —a trope he’s used previously.

“After being introduced by right-wing megadonor Sheldon Adelson, the president told the audience, ‘A lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You’re brutal killers. Not nice people at all. But you have to vote for me. You have no choice. You’re not going to vote for Pocahontas, I can tell you that. You’re not going to vote for the wealth tax. ‘Yeah, let’s take 100 percent of your wealth away.’

“The comments sparked sharp criticism from progressive Jewish group Bend the Arc, which said Trump, ‘his enablers in Congress, and his white nationalist base are targeting all of us.’

“’The GOP & far-right leaders regularly weaponize antisemitism against progressive leaders of color & use Jews as a shield,’ the group said in a Twitter thread. ‘Where is their outrage when Trump is blatantly antisemitic? When he insinuates Jews control money & power? When he calls us disloyal?’

“’This is personal,’ IfNotNow added in a tweet Sunday. ‘Trump is inciting his white nationalist base to attack ‘bad Jews’—that is, Jews like us who support freedom and dignity for everyone. We have a duty to fight back. We have a duty to defeat white nationalism.’

“According to public school educator Jamal Bowman, a Democrat running for the 16th Congressional District in New York, the fact that Trump was off-script makes the comments even more revealing.

“’When the president goes off-script, he reveals his true feelings and intentions,’ Bowman wrote Sunday. ‘The fact that he is incapable of addressing Jewish audiences without slipping in a few anti-Semitic quips speaks volumes.’

“The group behind the conference, the Israeli-American Council, advocates for ‘a strong Jewish and Israeli identity for the next generations.’ It was co-founded by real estate millionaire Adam Milstein, who, as The Intercept reported, has bankrolled attacks on the BDS movement. Milstein has called Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) a ‘terrorist’ and suggested she and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) are not loyal to the United States.

“Also on Saturday, before speaking at the conference, Trump attended a closed-door fundraiser during which he brought onstage Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance and Maj. Mathew Golsteyn. The men faced war crimes allegations but were fully pardoned by the president last month.”

10. Mooser on December 10, 2019, 7:52 pm

Well, well, well, Trump’s about to do something really big for us American Jews. No wonder the IAC audience were so thrilled to hear Trump’s anti-Semitic tropes:

“President Trump will sign an executive order defining Judaism as a nationality, not just a religion, thus bolstering the Education Department’s efforts to stamp out “Boycott Israel” movements on college campuses…”

This is such a win for us! I can’t wait to see all the laws and taxes and suits we will be exempt from. Can we start calling ourselves “Sovereign US Jews”?

• Talkback on December 11, 2019, 6:03 am

Mooser: “Can we start calling ourselves “Sovereign US Jews”?”

How about the only “nationality” in the world one can convert too.

11. vwbeetle on December 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

It is supposedly an anti semitic trope to say that some Jews are more loyal to Israel than their own countries, yet when I hear Sheldon Adelson stating that he wishes he had served in the Israeli army rather than the US army, what am I supposed to think? When AIPAC directs funds to political candidates based NOT on what those candidates can do for the residents of their Congressional district or state (the people they are SUPPOSED to represent), but on what they can do for Israel (a foreign country), what am I supposed to think?