‘My heart comes first’ — Why Nita Lowey chose to chair House committee controlling funds to Israel

News

It was a difficult thing when I was elected head of the [House] Appropriations Committee– obviously, you’re the boss I could choose any subcommttee I wanted. There’s the Labor Health Human Services, Education Subcommittee which runs education, health care, child care, after-school programs, all the things I’d been working on for a long time– 150 billion dollar bill. And I said, Do I take that and be the chair, or take the 54, 55 billion-dollar bill that funds foreign operations, including the money for Israel.

Lowey, who is retiring in 2021 and serves Westchester County, N.Y., refers to the State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Subcommittee. Jacob Kornbluh of Jewish Insider posted the video. Lowey spoke to the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York, which aligns itself with the rightwing Conference of Presidents on Israel issues, and whose leader was present in the White House when Trump unveiled his annexation plan.

“Imagine the Democrat freakout if a member of Congress admitted joining a particular committee so they could ensure that US funds were allocated to Russia. Or Canada. But when it comes to Israel anything goes,” Ali Abunimah comments.

Rep. Eliot Engel, chair of Foreign Affairs Committee, assured the same audience, per Kornbluh:

“Go to sleep and do not worry about it. As long as I’m the chairman [of the House Foreign Affairs Committee], the U.S.-Israel relationship will be paramount.”

A year ago Nancy Pelosi bragged about the number of Israel-loving Jews (and yes one non-Jew, Alcee Hastings) in positions of power in the House. Pelosi told an Israel lobby organization to ignore Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar, new congresspeople who are critical of Israel.

I want you to take great pride in the fact that Debbie Wasserman Schultz who was here in a bipartisan situation is a what we call a cardinal, a Jewish cardinal in the Appropriations Committee. The cardinals are the chairs of the committees. She has a very important position  on Appropriations, which is where this bill of funding for Israel takes place….

Ted Deutch from this area [south Florida] is the chair of the middle east subcommittee of the Foreign Affairs Committee.

The list goes on. Nita Lowey is the chair of the Appropriations Committee, the first woman, and a big supporter of Israel as you know, strong Israel US relationship. Eliot Engel is the chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee. Adam Schiff is the chair of the Intelligence Committee. So we have people very well placed who share our values in terms of the heart, Israel in heart and Israeliness in spirit. Shared values. Remove all doubt in your mind. It’s just a question of not paying attention to a few people who may want to go their own way but as far as our Congress is concerned we try very hard to unify, to have bipartisanship in all of this.

Pelosi shared the stage then with Haim Saban, one of the party’s biggest donors, and said that the Capitol would crumble and fall to the ground before the special relationship to Israel would end.

For an understanding of how important pro-Israel money from the Jewish community is to the Democratic Party, read these statements by a Forward columnist and the head of Emily’s List. Or Stuart Eizenstat’s account of Jimmy Carter’s defeat, which some blamed on the fact that he had taken on Israeli settlements. Or Ben Rhodes describing his job after Barack Obama quarrelled with Benjamin Netanyahu in a reelection year, 2012: “I was given a list of leading Jewish donors to call to reassure them of Obama’s pro-Israel bona fides.”

In her speech yesterday, Nita Lowey told proudly of being hosted at a lavish dinner in Jerusalem by “Bibi” in conjunction with Auschwitz remembrance. She offered no criticism of the rightwing prime minister who has used racebaiting in his reelection campaigns.

Thanks to Donald Johnson.

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. annie on February 10, 2020, 11:34 am

just don’t call it loyalty cuz that’s a blood libel or a trope or something.

• Mooser on February 10, 2020, 3:40 pm

“just don’t call it loyalty cuz that’s a blood libel or a trope or something.”

Yes, ‘Jewish tribal loyalty’ or ‘tribal unity’ is an antisemitic trope. And it’s easily disproved by observing the Jewish establishment’s treatment of Jewish antizionists, or even those Jewish people critical of Israel.
      But people will insist there is something to it, I don’t know why.

2. Misterioso on February 10, 2020, 12:10 pm

Meanwhile:

Another attempt by B’nai B’rith to suppress the ugly truth about “Israel.”

“Roger Waters ads banned by Major League Baseball after outcry from Jewish group”

Defend Democracy Press, Feb. 9/20

“Major League Baseball (MLB) has stopped running promotions of Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters on its platforms, after caving in to pressure from a Jewish group that accused him of anti-Semitism.

“In January, Jewish advocacy organization B’nai B’rith International began a campaign to protest ads for Waters’ new tour, ‘This is Not a Drill’, which appeared on MLB platforms. The group claimed that the musician is an ‘avowed anti-Semite’ whose views on Israel ‘far exceed the boundaries of civil discourse.’

“B’nai B’rith sent a letter to MLB, pointing to Waters’ support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, among other things.

“In response, the League reached out the organization to assure them that ‘there are no plans to schedule more ads.’

“Roger Waters did not immediately respond to media requests for comment. The famed rock star has been an unapologetic critic of Israel and its treatment of Palestinians. In an open letter, he argued that ‘to peacefully protest against Israel’s racist domestic and foreign policies is NOT ANTI-SEMITIC.’

“Waters has denied having any prejudice against Jews (his own daughter-in-law is Jewish), noting in an interview with Democracy Now that pro-Israel groups use the accusation of anti-Semitism against ‘anybody who supports BDS or anybody who criticizes Israeli foreign policy.’

“Concerning his own support for BDS, Waters has previously stated that the boycott movement ‘exists at the request of Palestine civil society as a whole’ and is among the ‘most admirable’ displays of resistance in the world.

“The rock star has been targeted by Jewish groups before for his political views. In 2018, American Jewish leaders called on companies sponsoring his concerts in Mexico to withdraw their support.

“The BDS movement advocates using non-violent economic and political pressure to push Israel to end its ‘occupation and colonization of all Arab lands.’ The movement wants Arab-Palestinians to be recognized as equal citizens, and calls for the Right of Return for all Palestinian refugees. Critics call the movement anti-Semitic and accuse it of trying to de-legitimize Israel.”

• genesto on February 11, 2020, 12:34 pm

Roger is more of a true patriot (despite being English) than are the ‘shomers’ in Congress that put the interests of a foreign country, Israel, ahead of those of their own country! He prides himself on lecturing these same Zionists about how his father, an RAF pilot during WWII, put his life on the line to defeat Hitler and save the Jewish people from further annihilation.

I plan to see “This is Not a Drill” because I love Roger and his music. Hope others out there join me to cheer him when he expresses his criticism of the Zionist mob that is trying to destroy his career (good luck with that), which he is sure to do at some point during the performance.

3. eljay on February 10, 2020, 12:14 pm

… In her speech yesterday, Nita Lowey told proudly of being hosted at a lavish dinner in Jerusalem by “Bibi” in conjunction with Auschwitz remembrance. …

It is obscene to commemorate acts of injustice and immorality committed by others against Jews while actively advocating, supporting and/or defending acts of injustice and immorality committed by Jews against others.

• Misterioso on February 10, 2020, 12:48 pm

@eljay

BINGO!!

• Misterioso on February 10, 2020, 4:22 pm

@eljay

Well said!!

I have no doubt that if the 6 million Jews who were murdered by the Nazis during WWII could rise from their graves they would without hesitation forthrightly condemn Nita Lowey and her U.S. taxpayer funded fellow Zionists who have looked the other way for now nearly 72 years while “Israel” has continuously committed thoroughly documented and accelerating monstrous crimes against the defenseless indigenous Palestinians.

How can they live with themselves?

• wondering jew on February 10, 2020, 7:25 pm

Misterioso- I have no doubt that you consider it the highest moral praise to say about someone that they oppose Zionism, so your intent is not to malign the dead. Nonetheless, a little humility is called for. Unless you have previous experience communing with the dead you have no way of knowing whether death by violence changes political minds. In 1939 through 45, right before their deaths, though they never could have seen all of history stretched out before them, many who had been chased and caught might have yearned for a land of refuge, even The Land land of refuge, and for you to speak in their name with knowledge is kindergarten idiocy.

• oldgeezer on February 10, 2020, 11:36 pm

@wj

And many may not have yonah. What are your credentials for communing with the dead?

Of the two scenarios, the first being eljay’s via Misterioso, a group of people would have stood by the moral values they had had throughout their lifetime to that point and the second being your s that they would have sold out their principles to save themselves I think the first is more respectful.

There is no doubt that they yearned for salvation. I would also. I might sell my values to save my life. I never had to choose. But if I ever had to choose, and if I chose to sell my soul, I would still hold my moral values at least internally. And hypocritically I might add. It is egregious and insulting to suggest that others would do so however. Zionism was considered an absolute moral abomination by most and they were right. You don’t get to suggest otherwise on their graves. That is absolute disrepect.

• catalan on February 11, 2020, 9:19 am

I am not understanding Misterioso’s argument that the victims of the Holocaust, if they could be resurrected, would become Hamas supporters and go to Tehran to watch holocaust cartoon competitions. Many survivors and Jewish fighters went to Israel after the war. My grandparents, survivors by miracle, also loved Israel very much. The rest of my family was destroyed completely in Yugoslavia by the Germans with their Ustashi and Muslim collaborators. If survivors of the Holocaust are so different from the ones who were killed, then we seem to be saying that the act of dying itself would make people Hamas supporters. That might be the case but how can it be proven since nobody has yet come from the dead (leaving aside religious figures).

• eljay on February 11, 2020, 10:57 am

|| Misterioso on February 10, 2020, 4:22 pm ||

One can only hope that the Jews who died would have had the sense of justice and morality lacking in the Jewish supremacists who have spent decades obscenely using the dead, the Holocaust, Judaism and the religion-based identity of Jewish as justification to commit evil and as protection against accountability for evil committed.

• catalan on February 11, 2020, 1:07 pm

Misterioso,
        I have been to Israel; all my relatives there are children and grandchildren of survivors – from Czechoslovakia, Romania, Poland and many other places. I have met the survivors personally and they are happy to be Israeli and to have families there. They are much happier than most people I have met through my many travels across continents.
        I cannot speak to exactly what happened after the war and how these people came to Israel. If they didn’t like it, and that’s perfectly normal, they had the option to leave, and some did. It is just an absurdity to say that all Jewish survivors do not like Israel and are Islamists. All my relatives are survivors, my grandparents; in a sense, I am a relic of that time too (getting old). I can tell you that the majority of Jews do not subscribe to the ideology of Hamas and Islamic Jihad and the rest of the “liberation” organizations. The muslims of former Yugoslavia actively fought with the Nazis, assisted in the dismemberment of Yugoslavia, which possibly lead to all the calamities afterwards. It is incredible that you think you know more than I do about Holocaust survivors when my own grandparents were such and I spent so much time with them.

• Mooser on February 11, 2020, 1:37 pm

“I have been to Israel; all my relatives there are children and grandchildren of survivors “ “catalan”

I guess “catalan” noticed the ‘comment archive’ function doesn’t work, and just spun out a whole new story for himself.

Oh, BTW, what ever happened to Bulgaria, “catalan”

• Ernie on February 11, 2020, 2:03 pm

@ Misterioso

I guess you can reply to a reply, but not to a reply to a reply? Is that how it works?

Anyhow, would, schmould. Why embroil oneself in an irresoluable argument? How do the purported thoughts of the dead impact on anything whatsoever?

• Talkback on February 11, 2020, 2:58 pm

Catalan: “I can tell you that the majority of Jews do not subscribe to the ideology of Hamas and Islamic Jihad and the rest of the “liberation” organization.”

Instead they have subscribed to the ideology of Irgun and Jewish “redemption” and the rest of settler colonialist organisation, including Apartheid. What a spiritual yerida.

• catalan on February 11, 2020, 3:18 pm

Mooser,
        The ones that went to Israel, well they intermarried, especially the second generation. So my cousins have all kinds of grandparents and I have met many of them. Can share stories. As to Bulgaria – now that doesn’t qualify? My grandfather was shipped off to a labor camp, they were all deprived of rights and were set for deportation. To Treblinka. But many lived on Macedonia and those were all killed. The point being – you don’t see the absurdity in the claim that all survivors are Hamas and Islamic Jihad sympathizers?

• Misterioso on February 11, 2020, 5:20 pm

@wondering Jew

Yes, as I noted above, it is now common knowledge that six million European Jews were systematically murdered by the Nazis during the holocaust.

However, their deaths and immense suffering in no way justify the well documented monstrous crimes committed against the indigenous Palestinians, including dispossession and expulsion, by Jews of foreign origin who poured into Palestine before and after WWII. Most of those who arrived after the war were forced to do so by Zionist recruiters. (See my reply to Catalan below.)

A glimpse of the horrors inflicted on Palestinians between late 1947 and 1949 was described by eye-witness Nathan Chofshi, a Jewish immigrant from Russia, who arrived in Palestine in 1908 in the same group as David Ben-Gurion (real name, David Gruen): “…we old Jewish settlers in Palestine who witnessed their flight know how and in what manner we, Jews, forced the Arabs to leave cities and villages…some of them were driven out by force of arms; others were made to leave by deceit, lying and false promises. It is enough to cite the cities of Jaffa, Lydda, Ramle, Beersheba, Acre from among numberless others.” (Quoted in Jewish Newsletter, New York, February 9, 1959; quoted by Erskine Childers in “The Other Exodus, in From Haven to Conquest, ed. Professor Walid Khalidi, Harvard, p. 800)

Chofshi was deeply ashamed of what his fellow Jews did to the Palestinians: “We came and turned the native Arabs into tragic refugees. And still we dare to slander and malign them, to besmirch their name. Instead of being deeply ashamed of what we did and of trying to undo some of the evil we committed…we justify our terrible acts and even attempt to glorify them.” (Nathan Chofshi, Jewish Newsletter, February 9, 1959; ibid, p. 803)

In 2004, when asked by Ha’aretz journalist, Ari Shavit, what new information his just completed revised version of The Birth of the Palestinian Problem 1947-1949 would provide, Israeli historian Benny Morris replied: “It is based on many documents that were not available to me when I wrote the original book, most of them from the Israel Defense Forces Archives. What the new material shows is that there were far more Israeli acts of massacre than I had previously thought. To my surprise, there were also many cases of rape. In the months of April-May 1948, units of the Haganah were given operational orders that stated explicitly that they were to uproot the villagers, expel them and destroy the villages themselves.” (Ha’aretz, January 9, 2004)

Between 1947 and 1967, about 1,250,000 Palestinians were permanently dispossessed and expelled from their ancestral homeland (along with their offspring, destined to be refugees to this day) and about 500 of their towns and villages were completely destroyed by Zionist forces. To this day Palestine remains under their brutal, racist, expansionist boot.

• Mooser on February 11, 2020, 6:25 pm

” you don’t see the absurdity in the claim that all survivors are Hamas and Islamic Jihad sympathizers?” “catalan”

Oh, yes, it is absurd, and you are the only one making it.

You have proved one thing “catalan”, you are still the same malign little twister you were last time.

• Talkback on February 11, 2020, 8:45 am

@ eljay

To be honest that’s the reason why do not consider myself to be Jewish anymore. I feel betrayed by the “Jewish people”. Instead of fighting against abuse most of them have become the abusers or supporters of abuse. It even seems that when most of them supported equality and human rights it was simply opportunistism and not moral superiority.

Sorry, not my people, I love you, goodbye.

• Misterioso on February 11, 2020, 10:30 am

@Catalan

“Many survivors and Jewish fighters went to Israel after the war. ”

In fact, Jewish refugees in Europe were herded like cattle and forced to go to Palestine. The vast majority had no desire to do so:

Briefly:
        On 2 May 1948, in a report delivered to the pro-Zionist American Jewish Conference regarding “Jewish Displaced Persons in the American Occupied Zone of Germany,” Jewish Chaplain Klausner (a dedicated Zionist) stated that “The Jews as a group are not overwhelmingly desirous of going to Palestine…we may predict that perhaps 30% of the people will go to Palestine.” (Lilienthal, What Price Israel? p. 260)

Klausner concluded that the displaced Jews “… must be forced to go to Palestine…. By ‘force’ I suggest a program. It is not a new program. It was used before, and most recently. It was used in the evacuation of the Jews from Poland and in the story of [the refugee ship] the `Exodus’.” Klausner went on to explain what his “program” would involve: “The first step…is the adoption of the principle that it is the conviction of the world Jewish community that these people must go to Palestine. The second step is the transmittal of that policy to the Displaced Persons….”

“The strategy suggested by Klausner to persuade Jews in the Displaced Persons camps to immigrate to Israel was implemented. Its tactics included: “confiscation of food rations, dismissal from work, smashing of machines sent by Americans to train D.P.’s in useful skills, taking away legal protection and visa rights from dissenters, expulsion from the camps of political opponents and, in one instance, even the public flogging of a recalcitrant recruit for the Israel Army. Trucks of the Jewish Agency were known to drive through the Jewish camps in Germany, ‘picking up’ boys and young men. Strange transports left Germany every week for France where, as a first step en route to Israel, the herded people were kept in camps established at Marseilles. In Germany’s D.P. camps, stories were spread that pogroms were taking place in parts of the United States.” (Lilienthal, WPI?, pp. 196-197)

As they were reluctant to heed the “call of Zion,” Israeli immigration agents had to “encourage” and in some cases, force Eastern European Jews to immigrate to Israel. “The government [of Israel] made great efforts to encourage Jews in Eastern Europe to migrate to Israel. Its immigration agent in Romania reported in 1950: ‘Working through the local leadership and every reliable Jew we have met, we are urging Jews to make application for emigration and for passports.’ Agents tried to get emigrating Jews to Israel. In Poland Israeli officials would ‘send the people directly to the port, so they would not be able to stop en route,’ reported Samuel Eliashiv, Israel’s ambassador to Czechoslovakia. Israel’s consul in Warsaw, Israel Carmel, found that persuasion was difficult. ‘The awakening of the Jews in Poland will not happen by itself,’ he reported in 1949. ‘They must be motivated and organized.'” (Quigley, p. 99)

• eljay on February 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

|| Talkback on February 11, 2020, 8:45 am ||

I empathize with your sense of betrayal.

The insanity of Zionism is in some part revealed by the fact that Jewish Zionists feel betrayed by people like you who choose the morality of justice, accountability and equality over the “right” of Jews to be supremacists, to have a supremacist state and to do unto others acts of injustice and immorality (a.k.a. “necessary evil”) they would not have others do unto them.

• Ernie on February 11, 2020, 2:15 pm

As long as there are Nazis, you can’t resign from the Jewish ‘race’. That’s just not how racism works – it’s the racists who get to decide who belongs to which race.

• Mooser on February 11, 2020, 5:48 pm

“As long as there are Nazis, you can’t resign from the Jewish ‘race’.”

As far as I know, the Nazi Party is not asked to sign off on Jewish resignation forms. Sometimes a registrar does, if inadvertently.

• jon s on February 12, 2020, 12:14 pm

Misterioso
        The Jews in the Arab countries also did not need to be coerced by Zionist agents, they understood that the environment had become extremely unfriendly, to put it mildly.

• eljay on February 12, 2020, 1:56 pm

|| jon s: … Holocaust survivors did not have to be coerced to go to Israel and , indeed, not all did.
        It’s not hard to imagine that having fortunately survived they would desire to try to rebuild their lives in a Jewish state in the Jewish historic homeland. … ||

Contrary to the delusions of Zionists, geographic Palestine was not and still is not the historic (or ancient, eternal, lost or one true) homeland of every person in the world – every citizen of every homeland throughout the world – who has chosen to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish.

While it is entirely understandable that survivors of the Holocaust might wish to seek refuge in geographic Palestine, it is entirely immoral that they should wish to establish and maintain in as much as possible of the region and at the expense of the region’s indigenous population a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” for themselves and their co-collectivists throughout the world.

• Mooser on February 12, 2020, 2:25 pm

” Holocaust survivors did not have to be coerced to go to Israel…”

“Jon s” did you put that up there just to see it torn to pieces? The history is well-known.

• jon s on February 12, 2020, 3:22 pm

eljay,

• eljay on February 12, 2020, 6:03 pm

|| jon s: eljay,
        So why would the survivors want to go to Palestine (“entirely understandable” in your words) if it’s not the Jewish homeland? ||

jon s, I sincerely hope you’re faking stupidity because this is getting really depressing.

It was entirely understandable that some (not all) survivors would want to go to Palestine just like it was entirely understandable that some (not all) would want to go to the U.S.: It was a place of refuge.

Neither Palestine nor the U.S. was (or is) the “Jewish homeland”.

• RoHa on February 12, 2020, 7:14 pm

“So why would the survivors want to go to Palestine (“entirely understandable” in your words) if it’s not the Jewish homeland?”

(a) They thought it was better than the alternatives.

(b) They believed it was the Jewish “homeland”.

• jon s on February 13, 2020, 3:36 am

RoHa, eljay,
        Why not assume that people tend to know where their people’s homeland is?

• Talkback on February 13, 2020, 8:59 am

jon s: “So why would the survivors want to go to Palestine (“entirely understandable” in your words) if it’s not the Jewish homeland.”

Most of the Jewish surviviors wanted to go to the US. So cut your “Jewish homeland” BS. The reason why the went to Palestine was because the Zionists heavily lobbied against any alternative, especially in the US.

• eljay on February 13, 2020, 9:28 am

|| jon s: RoHa, eljay,
        Why not assume that people tend to know where their people’s homeland is? ||

Because Zionists have done an astoundingly good job of demonstrating that it’s not a safe assumption to make.

• RoHa on February 13, 2020, 7:40 pm

Because the people in question have been fed a load of nonsense about “peoples” and “homelands”.

• Mooser on February 18, 2020, 2:31 pm

“Jon s”, “wj” and ilk, none of this “homeland” bullshit explains why “Nita Lowey, head of the powerful Appropriations Committee in Congress”, should care more about getting US money to Israel than she does about her constituents or other Americans?

Or maybe you can explain why the “Jewish homeland” should affect an American legislator in this way?

• wondering jew on February 18, 2020, 8:47 pm

• Mooser on February 19, 2020, 1:42 pm

“Nita Lowey’s voters did not mind her comments. She was currying favor with her constituents.” “wj”

And they were all so excited about how much US money they could send to Israel they never noticed the camel’s nose under the tent-flap, huh?

• genesto on February 11, 2020, 1:34 pm

Very well put!

• jon s on February 17, 2020, 4:14 pm

So: millions of people thought and still think that they know where their homeland is but RoHa and eljay know better … I would never presume to tell other people where their homeland “really is”.

• eljay on February 17, 2020, 9:03 pm

|| jon s: So: millions of people thought and still think that they know where their homeland is but RoHa and eljay know better … ||

Correct. He and I are not afflicted with Zionism.

|| … I would never presume to tell other people where their homeland “really is”. ||

No, but as a Zionist you did and do presume to tell the indigenous population of a geographic region:
        – that their actual homeland belongs not to them but to people all over the world – citizens of homelands throughout the world – who have chosen to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish; and
        – that Jews are entitled to have a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” in as much as possible of that geographic region and at the expense of its indigenous population.

• oldgeezer on February 17, 2020, 10:02 pm

@jon s
        “millions of people thought and still think ”

As any educated person knows, as any educator (note!) knows and certainly any person involved in fields such as history or archeology very clearly knows is that what people think is often at variance with actual facts.

I wouldn’t presume to tell anyone either. But when they commit war crimes, crimes against humanity, oppress millions of people on a daily basis, each and every day, then that becomes a different thing. You’ve gone from belief, which is fine, to acting upon that belief which is immoral,unethical, brutal, barbaric, and criminal.

You are a complete and utter irredeemable idiot if you claim that the area is the ancient homeland of all people who belong to the Jewish faith,

More fake history from jon s.

• RoHa on February 18, 2020, 12:14 am

“millions of people thought and still think that they know where their homeland is but RoHa and eljay know better”

Argumentum ad populum fallacy.

People have all sorts of crackpot beliefs.

Millions think that the universe was created by a God.
        Millions think that electing Americans to the office of President of the USA is a good idea.
        Millions think that, if they do not drink litres of expensive bottled water from non-biodegradable plastic bottles every day, they will shrivel up and die.
        Millions think that New Zealand really exists. (Most of those millions are in New Zealand.)
        Millions think that the universe was not created by a God.

‘ … I would never presume to tell other people where their homeland “really is”.’

So if the Japanese believed that Palestine “really is” their “homeland”, you would not object to them invading and taking over the entire territory?

• jon s on February 18, 2020, 3:38 am

Eljay is misrepresenting my views. I don’t think that this country is not the Palestinian homeland. It certainly is and I respect their stuggle for freedom. It’s also the Jewish historic homeland and that’s the conflict in a nutshell: two peoples who regard the same territory as their homeland. And equal rights for all is a basic democratic value, which I naturally support, while rejecting any kind of supremacism.

• eljay on February 18, 2020, 8:05 am

|| jon s: Eljay is misrepresenting my views. I don’t think that this country is not the Palestinian homeland. … ||

You’re misrepresenting my views. I said geographic region, not country.

|| … It certainly is and I respect their stuggle for freedom. … ||

It’s nice that you respect their struggle for freedom from the military-occupation, oppression, colonialism, supremacism and second-class citizen status you and your fellow Zionists advocate, impose, support and/or defend.

|| … It’s also the Jewish historic homeland … ||

Geographic Palestine was not and still is not the historic / ancient / ancestral / eternal / lost / one true homeland of every person in the world – every citizen of every homeland throughout the world – who has chosen to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish.

|| … and that’s the conflict in a nutshell: two peoples who regard the same territory as their homeland. … ||

The conflict is between the indigenous people of geographic Palestine for whom the region is their actual homeland, and Jewish supremacists who are of the insanity-fuelled belief:
        – that geographic Palestine is their historic / ancient / ancestral / eternal / lost / one true homeland; and, therefore,
        – they are entitled to have in as much as possible of the region a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” for themselves and for Jewish citizens of homelands throughout the world and at the expense of the indigenous people of geographic Palestine.

|| … And equal rights for all is a basic democratic value, which I naturally support, while rejecting any kind of supremacism. … ||

I agree that equality is a basic democratic value and while you may “naturally support” it in some places you reject it in religion-supremacist “Jewish State”.

And while you may reject “any kind of supremacism” in some places you support it in religion-supremacist “Jewish State”.

• Talkback on February 18, 2020, 10:41 am

jon s: “And equal rights for all is a basic democratic value, which I naturally support, while rejecting any kind of supremacism.”

So you do support the right to return and majority ruling? I don’t even believe that you support the latter. The creation of Israel was the opposite of the result of majority ruling or any democratic principle. In fact Zionist did everything they could to prevent majority ruling during mandate times.

• Mooser on February 18, 2020, 2:34 pm

“Old geezer , as usual, is incapable of writing a comment without name-calling and insults.” “Jon s”

Good ol’ “Jon s”. If he can’t be the teacher, he falls back on being the classroom snitch.

• oldgeezer on February 18, 2020, 7:19 pm

@jon s

I’m quite capable hon. I just dont think you, or others like you, that spew fake history or narratives are entitled to respect not earned.

So you support a democracy with equal rights for all?

So you support right of return for all Palestinians with equal rights in all ways/ areas?

Yes or no jon? A yes would be a new position for you which would be nice. Instead I’m willing to bet your claim to supporting democracy and equal rights is just another falsehood you’re peddling.

• RoHa on February 20, 2020, 2:11 am

jon, while you are working to bring the refugees back to Palestine and set up a single democratic state for everyone between the river and the sea, can you also help me to pin down this idea of a “homeland”?

This idea of “homeland” is obviously very important to you, so I would like to understand what relationship between person P and territory T makes T the homeland of P.

From some of your remarks, it almost seems that, if P regards T as his homeland, then T is his homeland.  But this cannot be your intent.  You are clearly of the opinion that homeland status gives P rights in regard to T, and you surely cannot think that P can arrogate such rights to himself in that manner.

The plain meanings of “home” and “land” suggest that P’s homeland is the land where he has his home:  his residence, his wife, his cat, and his collection of unperforated stamps.  But since you say that Palestine/Israel is the homeland of Australian Jews who have never set foot outside Australia, that cannot be what you mean.

The claim that Palestine/Israel is the homeland of the Palestinians gives us a few possibilities.
        First, it is the territory in which their immediate ancestors, and, in many cases, several generations of immediately preceding ancestors  had their homes.
        Second, there is a cultural connection with the territory in that it is the territory in which they developed their society.
        And they can prove this by showing genealogies and lists of addresses.
        I’ll call this relationship R1.

It seems likely that quite a few Israeli Jews could do the same, though in most cases the genealogies and lists would be a lot shorter. But R1 does not help with the rest of the world’s Jews, or with the early Zionists. For many of them, R1 makes Eastern Europe their homeland. For others, it would be Iraq , and still others would have Morocco.

So in order to claim that Palestine/Israel is the homeland of all the Jews, you cannot use R1.

And this means that you need to give a reason why you anti-Semitically single out Jews and apply a different criterion.

I’ll call this different criterion R2, and discuss it in a following comment.

• Mooser on February 20, 2020, 3:47 pm

“can you also help me to pin down this idea of a “homeland”?”

“RoHa”, the answer to this and many of your other questions can be found in paragraph 18 in the Yossi Gurvitz article.

4. Ossinev on February 10, 2020, 1:44 pm

I know that the I/P situation is not trivial but I have to admit that I find the naked in your face genitals on show dual loyalty of these American Zionist Jews absolutely hilarious. Hopefully given the obvious Fascist and Racist nature of the Zio state more and more young Americans including young American Jews whose loyalty is to their own country above all will be looking at this unconditional support and questioning it.

• Misterioso on February 11, 2020, 10:55 am

@Ossinev

“Hopefully given the obvious Fascist and Racist nature of the Zio state more and more young Americans including young American Jews whose loyalty is to their own country above all will be looking at this unconditional support and questioning it.”

It’s happening already at an accelerating rate and scaring the Zionists to death. They are suddenly realizing that time and demographics are not on their side.

• Ernie on February 11, 2020, 2:24 pm

I’m not sure how loyalty to one racist settler colony is somehow preferable to loyalty to another, or to more than one. It seems like all this nationalism, patriotism, loyalty to states is an obstacle to addressing the global challenges we face and a distraction from struggle for a just economic system.

5. vwbeetle on February 10, 2020, 4:13 pm

I have said this before but will say it again. Americans need to understand that the Zionist lobby directs funding to political candidates based NOT on what these candidates can do for the residents of their Congressional District or State (the people they are SUPPOSED to represent), but on what they can do for a foreign country – Israel.

6. just on February 10, 2020, 6:46 pm

“Nita Lowey, head of the powerful Appropriations Committee in Congress, told a rightwing Israel lobby group yesterday that she chose to chair a House subcommittee that controls aid to Israel over a bigger subcommittee that funds education and child care because “My heart came first.”

My heart came first; and this is why I’ve been the chair all these years for the committee that funds all the money we give to Israel. Some may say it’s not enough. I said, whatever we give is what it is, and obviously we continue to fund so many of the programs that affect Israel and the Israel-United States relationship and our Jewish community here in the United States. So to me, It has really been an honor to be on the front line. because someone comes to you with a problem, and you say, let’s do something about it.”

The Palestinians appealed to you with an enormous ‘problem’ and you’ve only ever ‘worked’ to hold your hand out for bloodstained US $$$ and raised them for Israel while ignoring the indigenous Palestinians! Nita and her many heartless buddies on both sides of the aisles can don their donnie MIGA hats and prove their loyalty to the MIC and to Israel instead of the safety of the world and commitment to healing the climate and providing all people with safe water, healthcare, no nukes, no landmines, and no more war. You do not have a ‘heart’ at all, Nita.

7. Kay24 on February 11, 2020, 6:44 am

It seems Nita has no heart when it comes to the suffering of the Palestinians, the occupation, land theft, and the children being killed by precision bombs and snipers….imagine how her heart would be if these were Israeli kids being brutally killed this way, every day. Nita would be outraged. But here she is, all warm and fuzzy talking about the charity we send to an occupier.
    Yet another politician showing us her heart is with Israel.

8. lonely rico on February 11, 2020, 11:32 am

My heart came first.

So Nita Lowey’s first love is Israel, which incarcerates, tortures, and murders Palestinian children.
    Education, health care, child care, and after-school programs for American children are of less importance, less deserving of her love and care.

Is it fair to ask why she doesn’t live in Israel, isn’t a member of the Knesset rather than a Representative in the US House?

Because she is most useful to Israel by living in the USA, using her position in the US government to further the interests of the country closest to her Zionist heart.

9. Ossinev on February 11, 2020, 1:59 pm

@lonely rico
    “Because she is most useful to Israel by living in the USA, using her position in the US government to further the interests of the country closest to her Zionist heart”

Nailed it. In fact it is highly likely that Zio Central has some sort of “education” scheme to deter “useful”. would be Aliyahistes on the basis of if you really love your country ( Israel ) you will stay in America swallow your contempt for the Untermenschen and do your bit for the Motherland.

10. Boomer on February 16, 2020, 1:56 pm

oath to become naturalized U.S. citizen:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

from: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/04/737844386/how-the-u-s-citizenship-oath-came-to-be-what-it-is-today

11. RoHa on February 18, 2020, 9:18 pm

“My heart came first…”

Depressing that she thinks this serves as an excuse or even a positive reason.

Rationality and morality are to be subordinated to her emotional position, and we are supposed to applaud her for that?