Our successful fundraiser has brought us to a new milestone in the life of this site: We are searching for a part time Editorial Assistant. The position is three days a week and will combine editorial and administrative tasks along with original reporting for Mondoweiss.net.
The ideal candidate would have:
- extensive internet writing experience, including use of social media like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr;
- familiarity with the WordPress blogging platform;
- some journalistic training and experience;
- working knowledge of recent Middle East history, US foreign policy in the region, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and grassroots social movements focused on the conflict both in the US and in the Middle East.
She or he should be a self-starter, be interested in news, be able to work on their own, and be ready to handle a diverse set of tasks, including:
- writing blogposts off the news;
- occasionally working odd hours, when covering news events;
- reporting on events relating to the conflict in the place he or she lives;
- reviewing and/or editing other writers’ submissions;
- basic photo and video editing skills;
- administrative tasks associated with maintaining Mondoweiss.net, as well as Mondoweiss-sponsored events and projects.
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter, a copy of your cv and two writing samples to [email protected] by 5:00 pm on September 16, 2011. Thanks!