Welcome Annie Robbins as Writer at Large

annie
Annie Robbins

There have been lots of good changes around here in the last couple weeks, and here is another: Annie Robbins, who has long worked with us in a behind the scenes way as annie, has agreed to take on a more public role, as Writer at Large for Mondoweiss.

Annie needs little introduction. Regular readers know how much her sincerity, her passion, and her productivity have helped to build this site. Still a few words.

Annie grew up in northern California. She has had chapters as an entrepreneur, a builder, and a potter. Her son hooked her up on a computer only 10 years ago, and before long she was drawn to social media, and not long after that to engagement in Middle East issues. People in the Bay Area know her as an activist, we know her for her energy, her nose for news and her eloquent voice.

Annie has been quietly working to make this site stronger for nearly two years out of the spotlight. We are delighted that she is taking a more public role.

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Congratulations, Annie.

Here’s a Boycott-Israel story with quite a lot of coverage in the media already. See the latest from ‘Arab American News’, December 3, 2011 –

link to arabamericannews.com

It’s unusual to see outrage expressed against Israeli atrocities, in any media outlet, but this story does allow that outrage to be expressed.

From that outrage, I hope a boycott movement will grow a bit faster.

• Dan Crowther says:

Annie Reveals Her Last Name – and the Hasbara patrol trembles! An “outing” that deserves much praise!

Long overdue. Congratulations!

• hi dan, i revealed it the other day in An open letter to Seth Klarman (at the end) plus when i was working on the flotilla media team phil mentioned it online for reasons of disclosure on a post regarding some of breaking news we had on our site. also one time here in an online argument when someone accused me of being ‘anonymous’ i told him who i was in the thread. also, i am involved in the activist community in the bay area, lots of people know who i am.

when we first published the trap my byline was annie robbins. so it has never been a carefully hidden secret.

i just fancied i could be like madonna.

;)

2. seafoid says:

Great news Annie. Ahlan wa sahlan biki!
    Elf mabrouk.

It is so important to have kind people on board and visible.
    I just came across this and it sounds right

3. Excellent news- welcome to the masthead Annie & great decision Phil and Adam.

4. All the best, Annie!

5. Rusty Pipes says:

Congrats, Annie! It’s great to see your talent, insight and hard work being appreciated here. Mondoweiss is where it’s at.

6. Good to have you here, Annie.
    A song of one of my favourite’s bands for you.

7. thanks everyone. it’s always been an honor for me to work with mondoweiss. i love this blog and have grown a lot here.

thanks to phil and adam, words cannot express.

i’ll be heading over to oakland for the aipac conference shortly,

in solidarity.

8. Thanks for all you have done here, annie.

9. Shmuel says:

Best of luck, Annie :-)

10. eljay says:

Congratulations on the promotion, annie…I mean, Annie. ;-) Keep up the good work! :-)

11. Real Jew says:

I have to say when I first began visiting mondo Annie was an immediate stand out. Her passion and sincerity is exactly what this movement need. I been saying it for a long time….Annie is the shiznit

• American says:

I second that.. yay for Annie!

• you guys are blowing my mind. this is like..beyond fun. i have to google shiznit. i love yiddish, so cool!

last night i was in shock, still am really..but heck..it’s really hard not chiming in sometimes.

real jew, beyond sublime for saying that. my head is swimming with all this outpour. american..

if i start responding the all these i will overwhelm the thread and start crying. lol

we’re a community here and that’s what it takes. we can change the world, i believe it.

12. Avi_G. says:

And a good addition it is. Good for you, Annie.

13. marc b. says:

well deserved, annie. i’ll make a donation to MW this holiday in recognition of your contributions to this site.

14. I have only been here a little while and have been very impressed by Annie.
    Awesome!

15. David Samel says:

Annie, your contribution to this site has been enormous. I’m very happy for you.

16. Andre says:

That is great news, indeed. Congratulations, Annie! Always love to read your contributions. This world needs more Annies!

17. Cliff says:

Congrats Annie, you rock.

18. RoHa says:

Nice to see you are getting full recognition.

(Pssst! Capital letters?)

• ha! you crack me up RoHa (there i did it for you). first i they made me capitalize in my articles (aghast), now my name (horrors!) and you want me to use them in my comments??

i still type with two fingers (one for each hand). capitalizing is waaaayy too workoverload for my irreverent lazyness. i am still operating with half a tank. how can anyone take anything i say seriously if i capitalize? loose roha, loose…say something to us uncapitalized just for the heck of it, let go dude. it feels good. it’s more easy street and natural for me and represents who i am.

;)

• LeaNder says:

actually I don’t think it ever were two fingers only, maybe three or four, after all they are easily usable and pretty close to each other? ;)

I can recommend mental teaching models based on the memorization of the location of keys and the respective finger you use for them. In this type of training you learn to use all your fingers immediately. I taught it to kids and in the process learned it myself. I think I used four maybe five of my fingers before. And I really hated all the diverse typing training approaches before. I simply didn’t want to waste time with typing meaningless clusters of letters for weeks. This seems to be such a tutorial.

link to sense-lang.org

• john h says:

you operating with half a tank? it must be a half ton one then, you get through so much even with two fingers!

keep representing who you are annie, we wouldn’t have it any other way.

• RoHa says:

“first i they made me capitalize in my articles (aghast),”

They are easier to read that way.

“capitalizing is waaaayy too workoverload for my irreverent lazyness. ”

That shift key is sooooo heavy.

(Spelling : laziness.)

“say something to us uncapitalized just for the heck of it, let go dude. it feels good”

I tried it once (not here) and I felt filthy and debased, for I had defiled the language. Never again.

19. So now we can finally capitalize the dadgum ‘a’ in annie?
    Yea(h), Annie!

20. Daniel Rich says:

Hi Annie,

Congratulations. Very much so. I like your ‘voice’ and hope it will be ‘heard’ by many.

21. john h says:

Go Annie, you’re such a dynamo, just no stoppin’ you now!

The song dumvita chose for you is just right.

22. mikeo says:

I second Cliff. Annie, you rock!

23. Congratulations, Annie.

24. crone says:

Hurray! You rock Annie… congratulations!

Phil & Adam are even smarter than I thought ;-)

25. Walid says:

Bravo, Annie.

26. I haven’t been impressed with Annie’s writing. I find her comments to be often contemptuous, not trying to understand views that differ from her initial prejudices.

• Sumud says:

Let us recall that you propose ideas more extreme than Avigdor Liebermen (the permanent option of Israeli jews to ethnically cleanse Palestinian Israelis) and then manage to convince yourself that you’re a liberal thinker.

You don’t understand your own views, let alone those of other people.

• Citizen says:

I will take Annie any day as my neighbor; Dick Witty, not so much. Concerning him, I am reminded of what Tevya (sic?) the Milkman said of the Czar: “God bless and keep him–far away from me!”

• LeaNder says:

I haven’t been impressed with Annie’s writing.

Neither have you been impressed with Adam’s or Phil’s writing as far as I can tell.

• eljay says:

>> I find her comments to be often contemptuous, not trying to understand views that differ from her initial prejudices.

Understanding views is one thing; accepting them is another. For example, RW understands that Zionist terrorism and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians were immoral and unjust acts. Rather than accept that view, however, he continues to justify and excuse immorality and injustice.

• hophmi says:

Most of you will take Annie because she tells you what you want to hear and is closed minded like most activists are.

If Phil wanted to be courageous, he’d hire a Zionist writer.

• I agree with Hophmi.

How do you climb off the fence (rather than fall off the fence) without clear and various discussion?

• Witty,
          If editors of this side were “overwhelmingy propagandistic” YOU and your few highly annoying friends (hophmi, eee, dgb, dan M) would not be here.
          You and your compadreees are trying to spread here zionistic propaganda, but you all know that it falls on deaf ears, so you are mad as a cut snake.

• eljay says:

>> Its an old divide here, whether the editors regard this site as a propaganda site, or a discussion site.
          >> The editorial selection has been overwhelmingly propagandistic, in spite of Phil’s claim to be on the fence on many issues.

Interesting: RW is now openly speculating as to whether Mondoweiss might be a propaganda site! I’m sure his confusion could be cleared up immediately if only Phil were to embrace RW’s conviction that Zionist terrorism and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians were noble and just deeds.

• Shmuel says:

a discussion site

This is Phil’s restaurant. You want to criticise the food (and the size of the portions, as Mooser would say)? Knock yourself out. You want another kind of cuisine? The world is full of eateries.

• libra says:

RW: “The editorial selection has been overwhelmingly propagandistic, in spite of Phil’s claim to be on the fence on many issues.”

Richard, I can understand why Phil doesn’t hire a Zionist writer but have you any evidence he refuses to publish any post written by a Zionist? Have you ever submitted anything?

I, for one, would very much like to read a well-written and (dare I say?) edited post from you that offered more than simply reprising your many, many comments. In particular, a vision for Israel’s future in the Middle East that does not rely on giving a veto to the Palestinians by simply invoking the weary “negotiations” mantra.

And how about a Zionist properly justifying Israel’s ongoing theft of Palestinian land? One who can explain what is to become of the Palestinians in the resulting “de facto” single state. How Israelis can expect to be treated as equals by their Middle East neighbours if they fail to treat the Palestinians as equals?

These are just a few of the questions I would love to hear cogent answers to from a Zionist. Perhaps Phil has filing cabinets bulging with such answers, all of which he has spiked for propaganda reasons. But judging by the Zionist commenters here, my guess is that he doesn’t. He just has basic editorial standards and, at best, an overflowing waste basket.

• I’ve had articles published here. When Phil had the competition judged by Omar Barghouti, I submitted an article, which was again dashed as racist. It was the oppossite. It was a description to Jews of the fallibility of ethnically based identification and treatment of non-Jews.

But, since it was written from the perspective of “what is a Jew?” rather than invisibility of Jews, it was condemned.

People are entitled to their even militantly reactionary opinions.

Phil has written slightly respectfully of people like Gershon Gorenberg, Bernard Avishai, others, and then periodically somewhat condemnatorally.

• Citizen says:

Witty, your article you referenced does nothing but push the idea of the jews as a nation of priests, secured via maternal bloodline by and large, and given the mission of repairing the world a la Joshua. We don’t want to be Caananites in any way imaginable.

• Citizen says:

If Phil were to embrace Witty, Phil would be singing praise for Joshua’s massacre of the Caananites, and Phil would view himself as part of the ethnic priestly Volk serving all humanity to repair the world, whether they like it or not. And Phil would be married to a Jew to make sure Jews don’t “become invisible,” aka subject to the common laws of humanity. Phil’s too humble for that. It takes a Dick Witty 2 be real racist to the core–in the interest of all humanity of course.

• Mooser says:

“I’ve had articles published here.”

Richard, if you want to make the case that Mondoweiss should have hired you instead of Annie, don’t you think private correspondence would be a better avenue? After all, why embarrass Phil by forcing him to publicly admit the complete inappropriateness of hiring anybody other than you? Because you are right, Richard, it’s obvious that the choice was between Annie and you.
          So why, I ask you, why did you choose to demonstrate Phil’s error with this brilliant string of comments?

• “I’m sure his confusion could be cleared up immediately if only Phil were to embrace RW.”

That Phil does not respectfully summarize differing views, then describe his differences, conveys to me and to many others, that his approach is one of propaganda.

• Shingo says:

Try posting a valid comment and you’ll get validation. Of the 11,000 comments you’ve poluted this blog with, the valid ones could be counted on one hand.

In that case Witty, why don’t you protest by boycotting Phil’s blog. We’d all miss you terribly, but it’s the only way to make Phil undersatnd the error of his ways.

• Hostage says:

Most sane people just have to read the utterly wrongheaded or stupid things that you and Hophmi all-too-frequently contribute to make up their own minds. I assume you haven’t been blocked yet because your thought processes are so transparently faulty and morally bankrupt.

BTW, keep-up the good work Annie. As the old saying goes, don’t let the bastards grind you down.

• eljay says:

>> I know you won’t get it Mooser, but validation of others’ views, even while differing, go a long way.

I love it! RW is a hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist who justifies Zionist terrorism and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians…and here, yet again, he asks Phil to set aside his (Phil’s) sense of justice, morality and humanism and validate his (RW’s) view!

Person A: “I think all black people are sub-human trash.”
          Person B: “That is a horribly racist statement!”
          Person A: “Oh, c’mon, you can validate my views even if yours differ from mine. Just say that you agree with me that all black people are sub-human trash, and then we can talk about something else.”

• Cliff says:

Witty why should we validate Hophmi’s hateful lie that Palestinians supported Hitler (written as “Palestinian support for Hitler” – as in a meaningful constituency, hence worth the conflation) or eee’s condemnation of Palestinian society as ‘murderous’ or your own tacit support for the Nakba and all the horrors needed to cause it?

You are not a liberal. Neither is hophmi. And eee is a joke.

All of you are trolls who are undeserving of civility.

• Shingo says:

And why should we validate your ignorance (such as over the debuking of the recent IAEA allegations) and refusal to read beyind headlines and provide refrences to back up your bogus claims (such as your claim that the BDS charter was changed in 2005)?

Do lies and ignroance deserve validation?

• As the old saying goes, don’t let the bastards grind you down.”
          hey hostage, my voice wouldn’t be here today if not for you and your ilk. that rarely escapes my reality. thank you for everything.

• “I assume you haven’t been blocked yet because your thought processes are so transparently faulty and morally bankrupt. ”

Hostage,
          You claim to be an advocate of justice, but don’t advocate for equal due process before the law, as in giving settlers their day in court to state their claims. If they lose, they lose. But, a prejudicial attitude is not an advocacy for justice, its an advocacy for a side.

Similarly, through the window of compassion for all (in contrast to justice for all). If you believe that forced removal of 700,000 Palestinians is a harm (certainly), then is the forced removal of only 550,000 not at least partially a harm?

I’ll take my thinking.

• Citizen says:

Yes you did take your thinking, Witty, too bad you didn’t leave any of it in your comment. Squatters are not suppose to remain, and surely you recall all those old movies about the little town judge and sheriff, the local judicial & legal system in the Jim Crow south?

• LeaNder says:

which was again dashed as racist.

Why “again”.

I don’t think it was dashed, it was criticized.
          You used the myth of the lost tribes with it’s own long and distinct history to show your ultimate sympathy for the Palestinians:

Another virtuous form of the fear of offending God, is the fear of being too restrictive, in this case of assaulting Jews inadvertently, halachically legal Jews among Palestinians, Lebanese, Iranians, etc.

To go on to show that Israel is a “religious gamble” but a gamble that ultimately leads to our shared non-religious aims. .. What I am not sure about is, if race is the correct ad hoc starting point to discuss more complicated matters, than to evoke two myth. No matter how much we may share them. I think some feel the same.

It feels the American side of Karl Kraus needs help over at Wikipedia.

Where in London did you stay?

• Citizen says:

LeaNder, what comment are you referencing? Sorry, I’m tired today. It sounds like a Dick Witty comment you quote. He insists that it’s he, none other than Richard Witty himself, keeper of the Jewish flame of eternal worldly continuity, who displays his true blue Jewishness by warning all Jews that you never know, that person over there who rubs you the wrong way–may actually be a member of the tribe somewhere way back in the family tree. From that, Witty judges he himself is a most liberal humanist.

• Hostage says:

Richard I’ve answered that particular canard of yours on several occasions, e.g. link to mondoweiss.net

Nothing prevents the rest of us from prosecuting the colonists and the leaders of their regional council:

*Several Jewish legal experts served as advisors to the Allies conducting the International Military Tribunal at Nuremburg, including Hersh Lauterpacht, Jacob Robinson, and Raphael Lemkin. The later had coined the term genocide in a book published in 1944 by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Axis Rule in Occupied Europe. I’ve quoted it for you several times here in the past. Lemkin advised that colonists could be held liable by the penal system. Colonists were an integral part of the plan which involved military attacks, occupation, eviction, and population transfer with the intent of destroying the members of a targeted group as a society in their distinctiveness and particularity and their feeling of belonging together. A biological-physical destruction was not necessary. The 1951 Refugee Convention recognized the principle that millions of German colonists were not refugees. The Refugee Convention did not apply to

“those for whom there are serious reasons for considering that they have committed war crimes or crimes against humanity, serious non-political crimes, or are guilty of acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

link to unhcr.org

See “6. The Problem of Colonists”, in Lemkin’s “Axis rule in occupied Europe”: link to books.google.com

*One of Israel’s Supreme Court Justices expressed a similar view when he served as the State’s Attorney General. See A-G: New Hague court may indict settlers for war crimes.

*All of us here are familiar with the many settlers who claim jump Palestinian agricultural lands and prevent the owners from harvesting their produce with the assistance of the IDF. They routine declare areas as expropriated or closed military zones, demolish wells or cisterns, build Jewish only roads, & etc. as part of a policy of Bantustanization. See Human Rights Commission, Study Concerning
          the Question of Apartheid from the Point of View of International Penal Law, E/CN.4/1075, 15 February 1972, pp. 51 – 52.

So take your thinking and put it where the sun don’t shine you idiot.

• hell, Arthur Ruppin supported Hitler.

you really don’t want to play the Hitler game if your fact-bank is running on empty — or on merely propaganda fumes.

• LeaNder says:

LeaNder, what comment are you referencing?

Citizen, I was responding to Richard’s complaint above

He is a alluding to his contribution to the Mondoweiss award:
          Entry 24: Who is a Jew? Who is not a Jew?

My comment above is a short more concise critique of his essay. I was highly puzzled at the time, what could possibly lead him to statements like this:

To my mind, the Jewish mission, the covenant of Jewish obligation to cultivate the sensitivity and skillsets to make whole what is disparate is critical to continue. I will and do “teach my children”, both racially through mother’s genes and culturally through pragmatic compassion, prayer and good deeds.

• LeaNder says:

Citizen, I better add this, since I don’t want to correct all the links above in the editing process.

I realized my response was late and could only be understood by Richard Witty, and that he probably won’t answer. Thanks for asking.

• Citizen says:

Thank you, LeaNder, for responding to my query. You have a brain, that’s why you were puzzled by that excerpt from Dick Witty’s opus, Who is a Jew? Who is not a Jew?

I wrote a point by point critique of Witty’s opus a couple of days ago, but it vanished in the ether. I urge everyone to go read Witty’s opus in the MW archive, to which you linked. Never in world history has someone gone so far and with such twisted and illogic sweat to claim he’s a humanist while constantly reminding us he’s actually a tribal racist. Witty is the ultimate pretzel without a good beer. Kosher wine really won’t do.

• LeaNder says:

Citizen, do you understand why our much later responses are higher up in this threat than earlier ones. I was really puzzled yesterday.

• marc b. says:

If Phil wanted to be courageous, he’d hire a Zionist writer.

so you’re saying that all of the zionist advocacy groups such AIPAC are cowards for not putting up anti-zionist speakers at their conferences? interesting point.

• Cliff says:

I was about to say that.

Why aren’t you asking Zionist groups, bloggers, etc. to include Phil Weiss. What about the excommunication of JVP? Or the recent removal of some ambassador because he said the settlements engender anti-Israel hatred?

ETC ETC ETC

If we are ‘lunatics’ (as you called Phil) – then why should Phil, a ‘lunatic’, include a Zionist writer? Why would a Zionist writer want to write alongside lunatics! Why would a Zionist writer waste his or her time here since, as you say over and over – we are fringe and radical.

Wouldn’t you rather have this oh-so-wise Zionist writer elsewhere? Speaking to the ‘moderates’?

Just shove your indignation, you clown.

• There is plenty of ‘Zionists writers” in the US government ,as we could easily see by the joyful reactions of the Congressmen to the Netan-yahoo speech.
          Witty, go and talk bravely, at the next AIPAC meeting, about them hiring some highly visible anti-zionists speakers and writers.
          I promise, I’ll visit you in the hospital.

• hophmi says:

“Hophmi, why are you so focused on us extremists for? Aren’t we fringe? Irrelevant? Inconsequential? Lunatics?”

You are, but like most lunatics you shout pretty loudly.

“Why aren’t you asking Zionist groups, bloggers, etc. to include Phil Weiss.”

Not a bad idea. But it’s Phil who holds himself out as something different, when, in fact, he’s just another polemical blogger.

“Why would a Zionist writer waste his or her time here since, as you say over and over – we are fringe and radical.”

A couple have, and of course, like a bad host, Phil has allowed them to be mistreated by the assholes in the room.

• marc b. says:

You are, but like most lunatics you shout pretty loudly.

so you are here, by your own admission, to out shout irrelevant lunatics? med-i-ca-tion, hopmeeee.

• Mooser says:

“Phil has allowed them to be mistreated by the assholes in the room.”

On the other hand, you, Hophmi, hang around here because you love being mistreated by assholes. Good to know that, I’ll make sure I do my best.

• Shmuel says:

If Phil wanted to be courageous, he’d hire a Zionist writer.

This blog has an orientation: non- to anti-Zionism, civil/human rights, international law, etc. What would be “courageous” about hiring someone to represent views that Phil and Adam, other posters and, presumably a majority of readers, have already considered and rejected (or come here to question and reconsider)? What would be the point of starting from zero every single time? People who want to read those views know where to find them, and those who have honest objections and/or questions are free to post them in the comment section (I don’t think you’ve had any problem in that department).

• There is a GREAT poverty of confidence, if those that regard that this site should be a propaganda site, cannot stand the presence of intelligent liberal Zionist commentary.

• Cliff says:

Exactly.

But hophmi’s typical asinine whining was to be expected.

Richard Witty pollutes Mondoweiss with his 11,000 comments and Phil has to hire a Zionist now? LOL

There was a series of guest-writing that Phil allowed awhile back. He allowed liberal Zionists to author. He has allowed Wondering Jew to author. He has allowed lots of diverse voices but this is an anti-Zionist/non-Zionist website.

People stay on MW because of the comments section which is mostly anti-Zionist but what do you expect for an anti-Zionist website? We are constantly arguing or debating with Zionists in the comments section. So it’s a LIE to say this is a one-sided website.

This is not the DKos where you are banned for being pro-Palestinian or at the very least offering some minor criticism of Israel.

This is not FrongPageMag or Pam Gellar’s blog or other hate sites. MW is unique. Both groups are moderated and Phil has as a matter of record, been much more harsh on censoring anti-Zionist commentators (who veered into anti-semitism) than the steady stream of ignorant, anti-Arab/anti-Islamic Zionist rhetoric from people like hophmi or eee for example.

Not to mention that Witty was banned on Richard Silverstein’s website and wouldn’t last 5 minutes on JSF.

Phil is very patient and you could almost say he is painting a comment section by allowing people like eee or Witty to continue posting. Under any normal standard of etiquette – these two are TROLLS and should be banned. But Phil thinks they are representative of an audience out there (although he must clearly be keeping eee around for laughs).

Be thankful, Richard Witty. No one reads your blog. No one even reads your current commentary. You are an on-going joke here. At least you aren’t prohibited from posting though!

• mig says:

cannot stand the presence of intelligent liberal Zionist commentary

I have waited that a long time. And still waiting. Like a rest of us in here.

• Chaos4700 says:

The problem, Witty, is that time and time again, “intelligent,” “liberal” and “Zionist” are all proving to be mutually exclusive. Need we bring up your support for ethnic cleansing “when it was/is appropriate” in 1948? Or should we start with your pro-segregationist views regarding the West Bank?

• Shmuel says:

cannot stand the presence of intelligent liberal Zionist commentary

Jerome Slater is a welcome contributor, Jerry Haber has posted, Peter Beinart has been the subject of a number of posts, as has Avrum Burg (and I’m sure either would be welcomed by Phil and Adam as contributors). Phil and Adam have even asked some of the Zionist commenters here to post their thoughts above the line from time to time. The key words are “intelligent” and “liberal”. The characterisation “propaganda” is petty, as is your criticism of Annie.

• Witty.
          hasbara doesn’t pay you enough??Are they downsizing??
          Go and channel your “intelligent, liberal , zionistc commentary”somewhere else.
          You won’t find the empathy here.

• The only liberal Zionists that are appreciated at all here, are those that condemn Israel.

Its a litmus test.

Avram Burg, Peter Beinart, Larry Derfner, Bernard Avishai, Gershon Gorenberg (Avishai and Gorenberg the subject of very active discussion on 972) would all be harrangued here.

The common thread of all those liberal Zionists is that they bear a mix of appreciation and criticism.

They do not regard the yishuv, and then formation of the Israeli state as an original sin.

• Shmuel says:

Liberal Zionists who do not condemn Israel are not liberal.

… would all be harrangued here

Everybody is harangued here – often by you.

• Mooser says:

“cannot stand the presence of intelligent liberal Zionist commentary.”

Well, when you’ve got some, I’m sure Phil will be willing to publish it.

• Mooser says:

Gee, Witty, don’t you have a blog? Why is it so important that Phil do anything when you have a blog? Why can’t your blog, staffed by you, “eee” Dan, Hophmi, and all your other pals, be the anti-Mondowiess?
          Why with a cast and crew like that, I bet you could knock Mondoweiss right off the web!
          And with all the graciousness, modesty, and good manners you guys exhibit, you’ll be the toast of the web! I bet you’re all snappy dressers, too.

• Mooser says:

“Go and channel your “intelligent, liberal , zionistc commentary”somewhere else.”

He’s got his very own blog. If you click over to it, he can see if his site-meter works.

• dahoit says:

Harangue the hypocrites!High.

• Citizen says:

Witty, we really don’t think that Joshua is a proper humane guide as to how to repair the world.

• Shingo says:

How would you know? The only way to find out would be to offer some. Alas we are still waiting to see any evidence that intelligent liberal Zionist commentary is even possible.

• Mooser says:

“There is a GREAT poverty of confidence, if those that regard that this site should be a propaganda site, cannot stand the presence of intelligent liberal Zionist commentary.”

Yup, you decided to be extra-super-brilliant today, Witty, just to show Phil how wrong he was.
          Witty, did it ever occur to you that you are not welcomed as a writer here because this is an English-language site?

• john h says:

Richard, intelligent liberal Zionist commentary is very rarely found (and that’s being kind) in any comments from you or any other of those who imagine they fit the bill.

We have to import them from such people as Avnery or Silverstein.

• “Everybody is harangued here – often by you.”

Are you joking Shmuel?

• Hostage says:

You’ve made thousands of comments Witty and I’m still waiting for intelligent liberal Zionist commentary. Ho hum . . .

• One request Cliff.

Please restrain yourself from lying about my posting rights at Richard Silverstein’s site.

I was never banned. I was requested to limit my posting to 4 posts/day, with exceptions, which I agreed to, as I agreed to limit my posting here for a period.

“Are you joking Shmuel?” Richard Witty

“I haven’t been impressed with Annie’s writing. I find her comments to be often contemptuous, not trying to understand views that differ from her initial prejudices.” – Richard Witty.

Wow! Talk about your ziocaine amnesia. Richard just because you don’t know how to access your comments archive doesn’t mean others can’t.
          Shall we go back to Phil’s Gaza trip? You know the one that inspired you to say he was “brainwashed”, “coerced” and sold his soul (literally, as I remember, you blamed him for eating with them) for a plate of hummus?

• Chaos took

my words
          plum out of my keyboard
          and posted them
          under his/her name.

You rock, Chaos

• marc b. says:

that’s just plain ignorant and evidence that you can’t read, or are incapable of processing the most basic information. many commenters on this site have come to their position after years of reading and investigation, and many commenters on this site have said that their position on I/P had evolved dramatically. my position was frankly one of disinterest for the first 40-plus years of my life. your problem, or at least one of your problems, is that you assume that anyone who criticizes israel is a ‘hater’ or an ‘anti-semite’ or just plain stupid, as those are the only possible explanations for criticism of plan eretz israel.

• hophmi says:

“your problem, or at least one of your problems, is that you assume that anyone who criticizes israel is a ‘hater’ or an ‘anti-semite’ or just plain stupid, as those are the only possible explanations for criticism of plan eretz israel.”

Not at all. Many critics of Israel criticize without lapsing into Jew-hatred. The ones that cannot avoid it hurt the Palestinian cause.

• Shingo says:

The ones that cannot avoid it hurt the Palestinian cause.

And we all know how that Palestinian cause is what’s most important to you right Hop?

I love it when Zionists comment about what is good and damaging to the Palestinian cause. It’s a bit like hearing pedophiles giving avice about child protection.

• Mooser says:

“Not at all. Many critics of Israel criticize without lapsing into Jew-hatred.”

Oh really? Mind telling us what about Israel can be criticised without lapsing into “Jew-hatred”? Cause you can’t find a single critical subject, a single issue, which has not been characterised as “Jew-hatred” or “anti-semitism” when brought up.

No doubt (ROTFL) you won’t think it’s “Jew-hatred” if we criticise the ultra-Orthodox, or the haredim here.

• yourstruly says:

“close-minded like most activists are”

like the civil rights activists?
        the women’s rights activists?
        the anti-apartheid activists?
        the save the earth activists?
        the ows activists
        etc. etc.

• hophmi says:

• patm says:

“It’s hard to have a conversation with people that dedicated to an intellectual orthodoxy.”

What would “an intellectual orthodoxy” be, hops. Do tell us.

• Mooser says:

“I find most radical left activists….”

Would you mind giving us a few names, or names of organisations, which you consider “radical left activists”?

• Mooser says:

“I find most radical left activists to be closed-minded people. I know plenty. It’s hard to have a conversation with people that dedicated to an intellectual orthodoxy.”

You know, hophmi, I’m a sort of musician, and if there’s one thing I know about lyrics, it’s that the best rock lyrics are made up of strings of evocative yet not specifically meaningful cliches and attractively paradoxical sentence fragments.
          If you ever want to change professions, your sucess in that field is assured, judging by your comments here.

• john h says:

Yeah, it’s easier to be talking to yourself about yourself again, hophmi, eh. That closes the mind even further.

You’re doing well.

• Shingo says:

Hop is referrign to anyone to the left of Likud.

• lol..it wouldn’t be a great thread without a fight. this is such a blast.

• Mooser says:

“If Phil wanted to be courageous, he’d hire a Zionist writer.”

Hophmi, that’s not fair. Mondoweiss is a fairly small blog, and can’t match the salaries and benifit package of the NYTs. This blog can’t pay enough to support Zionists. They don’t come cheap, as you well know.

• Shingo says:

If Phil wanted to be courageous, he’d hire a Zionist writer.

Would you call a Zionist blgo courageous for hiring an anti Semitic writer Hop?

• American says:

“she tells you what you want to hear”..hophmi

Oh come on!…..I can testify that isn’t true. I adore annie and we agree on the fundementals but we have had different perspectives on some things that came up and she hasn’t hesitated to debate it and put her view out there forcefully but respectfully.
        What you don’t like is she is fair without being a wimp…..makes your side look closed minded and whiny….. cause you are.

• nice point, American.

I read Annie’s fair-mindedness and insistence — absolute, no exceptions INSISTENCE that hatred is not an option — and I wonder how she does it, and I remind myself that her’s is the better path and try to follow it — even if I deviate from it.

• marc b. says:

I find her comments to be often contemptuous . . . blah, blah, blah.

so says the condescending, hectoring, supercilious ‘humanist’.

• dahoit says:

Initial prejudices?Cast that second stone, man.

• Shingo says:

December 5, 2011 – 8:02 pm Reply

I can’t think if a more powerful endorsement than this ungracious, mean spirited attack by the most despised, disrespected, dishonest and irrelevant commenter to this forum.

Congrats Annie. You deserve it.

• Sumud says:

I agree chaos, and I’m fairly confident it was written from a place of jealousy, resentment and insecurity. Richard is still trying to convince himself that he can ‘hold his nose’ on the Nakba (up to 68 individual massacres perpetrated by zionists, 750 000 ethnically cleansed and massive looting and property theft, all driven by ethnic/religious supremacism) and then claim he is a liberal. Utterly ridiculous.

• Shingo says:

I think you’re confusing me with Chaos, but we are in agreement.

I also suspect Witty is hurt that he wasn’t offerd teh same invitation, you know, given the enttilement his tribal affiliations are supposed to afford him – not to mention the close family ties with Phil that exist soley in his imagination.

• Sumud says:

Whoops, sorry Shingo!

• Potsherd2 says:

Here he goes again, hijacking another thread out of jealousy that someone else was chosen to be on the masthead here, and not himself.

27. chauncey says:

This is a fine development. I’ve enjoyed your comments since I began visiting this site, Annie.

28. Sumud says:

Anniiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Congratulations, I’m glad it’s official. Smart move Adam and Phil.

And I already have a request for a story :-)

Taxi and I have been discussing on the Hillary thread about getting past the paradigm of Israel vs Palestine, a third way – more needed than ever as the death of the two-state solution becomes widely understood.

Taxi proposed it be known as the Republic of Jerusalem, and I concur, I concur!

I’d love for you to craft a piece on this, including some input from some Israelis and Palestinians. The discussion started here:

link to mondoweiss.net

…but make sure you scroll back a little and read Taxi’s story about the discussion he had with a shepherd in Lebanon.

• sumuuuud…;)

i will check that link out sumud. y’know, if you ever have an idea for a story you could write it up and send it to adam and phil too. either way i don’t make editorial decisions about what gets published but if this is something you feel passionate about just write it up and send it in or if there’s any other story you want covered do the same.

i’ll check out the link.

• i finally got around to reading that link sumud. you’re right. it’s awesome.

29. alec says:

Congratulations Annie!

30. Pamela Olson says:

Alf mabrook! Your work here has been incredible, I look forward to seeing it continue and expand!!

31. John Douglas says:

Welcome Annie,

I’ve been really impressed with your writing and insights. It’s great to know you’ll be writing more for Mondowesiss.

John

32. Kris says:

This is wonderful! Congrats, Annie!

33. Taxi says:

Wonderful news – mabrouk Mondo Annie!

34. DanMazella says:

annie, i noticed you like to avoid talking about your own articles.
    Let me repeat what you wrote and hopefully this time you respond.
    You wrote this article on this site.
    link to mondoweiss.net
    Itamar video says settlement had night-and-day perimeter surveillance
    You try to say the Palestinians couldn’t have commited the Fogel massacre.
    You try to give the impression that a Thai worker did it.
    That was the big conspiracy theory of the left.
    Ofcourse we learned that the Palestinians did commit this massacre.
    We also learned, Fogel Baby-Stabber ‘Proud of What I Did’
    You can read the article here.
    link to israelnationalnews.com

Now i have question for you Annie Robbins?
    Did you ever retract your lie that some foreign worker was responsible for the massacre of the Fogel family? Answer NO
    So i find this interesting Annie, you try to get people banned on here, but you have no problems writing lies on here. When your lies are exposed, you want that person banned for exposing them.
    This is why your afraid to debate on here.

• dahoit says:

Hate engenders hate,or an eye for an eye makes us all blind,or mental defects affect all humans equally.Nobody but haters and madmen endorse baby killing,but add up the numbers of dead babies to find the most madmen.(Or women)

• Shingo says:

This is why your afraid to debate on here.

I’ve challnged you on a number fo your assertions Dan and you’ve failed to answer. Are you also afraid to debate here?

35. DanMazella says:

• Chaos4700 says:

“The Palestinians?” All of them? Like how Germans blamed “the Jews” for their economy post-WWI?

• john h says:

Dan, more than an apology is needed, but not by annie.

After hearing testimonies from Israeli interrogators and Shin Bet officers, a jury decided that Hamida’s confession had been obtained under torture, making the confession inadmissible.

link to maannews.net

• patm says:

“.., when it was the Palestinians who did it.”

Do you have a source for the Itamar massacre trial, DanM?

I didn’t realize the case had gone to trial. Thanks.

• patm, i posted on sehams thread in the comment section yesterday or the day before..found it in her ma’an article..the trial finished last week. but this alledged ‘proud confession’ is only published in the wacko settler paper dan links to (as far as i know). whereas, with a quote like that, one might imaging the regular press in israel would be blasting it til kingdom come it it were…true. and even if he said it (which i have my serious doubts) who knows what kind of contortions went on to get him to say it.

Ziad Abbas once said, (i was in the audience) palestinians call going into an israeli courtroom, or military court ‘the theatre’. seriously, how could anyone take seriously a court made up of the oppressors representatives in an occupation.

and this isn’t only w/this murder or any murder or serious crime. ‘Nearly 100% of all military court cases in West Bank end in conviction’. That is heartbreaking: 99.74 percent. It means that there’s not due process.

so no, i don’t take this procesution seriously. what sane person would . the guy got out of the hospital the day before this incident and was bedridden. pleeease.

• patm says:

“The decision to acquit Hamida of all charges is unprecedented in Israeli military courts, Barghouth said.” Ma’an news

Well thank heavens Hamida was acquitted, annie. But was that it for the trial? Are they back at square one trying to figure out who committed these murders? Is it possible it was an internal conflict that will now be swept under the rug?

• Kate says:

There have been two trials, patm, one for each of the two Palestinian teens accused of the Itamar killings. (You must not have read all the way through all the Today in Palestine lists, but then I imagine few people have the time to do so.)
        TiP for 2 Aug 2011 includes a link to a Ynet article about Hakim Mazen Awad, 18, being found guilty after confessing in court.
        TiP for 5 Oct 2011 includes a link to a Ma‘an article about Amjad Mahmad Awad, 19, also confessing before a military tribunal and pleading guilty.

• patm says:

“Man acquitted after confession obtained by Shin Bet torture”

Ma’an News Agency dateline December 7, 2011

So this is news hot off the press!

But I’m still confused. What about the brother? Is he to be acquitted as well? I suppose we’ll get that news in due course.

Thanks annie, kate, john h.
          DanM has nothing to say, apparently

• i’m actually not up on this trial patm. not sure what happened.

• john h says:

patm, the Maan story is not about the brothers in the Itamar case.

It is current news that is highly significant in that

gives much credibility to widespread suspicion that many confessions are extracted by torture, and confirms the likely veracity of

A July 2011 report by the Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights in Gaza [that] outlined 85 cases of Palestinians tortured in Israeli prisons over the last two years.

• Shingo says:

The Palestinians Dan?

Was it the Jews that carried out the 1994 Cave of the Patriarchs massacre in the city of Hebron massacre too Dan?

• john h says:

Just to further set the record straight.

link to kabobfest.com
      link to imemc.org

The story presented by the Israeli security forces has more holes in it than a hunk of Swiss cheese treated with birdshot. As Ali Abunimah points out, they can’t even get their claim right about whether or not Amjad and Hakim acted alone or on behalf of the PFLP. And Israel’s penchant for using torture and threats to coerce confessions doesn’t really do much for its credibility here. If 6 year old girls are beaten and 60 year old women are violently detained in Awarta, your brain doesn’t have to go far to guess what the Shin Bet did to extract confessions from the young men.

And before the seething masses of indignant Zionists could finish wringing their hands, out comes the family of Hakim Awad with the inconvenient revelation that their son had recently undergone testicular surgery that made it impossible for him to walk long distances and needing the toilet every hour, and was at home recovering the night the Fogels were killed. Oops.</

• If Annie genuinely believes what she wrote, then she should apologize to no one. I’m not in the habit of demanding people apologize for what they believe. It is rather difficult, however, to know what to make of some of these literally incredible statements about the Itamar murder being posted here.

Amjad Mahmad Awad, along with accomplice Hakim Awad, entered the Fogel family home in Itamar, catching two children, Yoav (11) and Elad (4), unawares. Amjad led Yoav to another room and stabbed him to death there, while Hakim attempted to strangle Elad. Amjad then returned and dispatched Elad, stabbing him with the two knives he held in his hands.

They then proceeded to the parents’ bedroom, where a struggle developed. Amjad managed to slash Rabbi Ehud Fogel to death and then stabbed his wife Ruthie in the neck and back. Hakim then shot and killed her.

They then heard the three-month old baby girl, Hadas, crying, and stabbed her to death too.

Amjad Mahmad Awad, and Hakim Awad were arrested for the crime, which they confessed to in gruesome, remorseless detail , and then performed a detailed re-enactment of the crime that their Shin Bet interrogators described as “chilling.”

“I’m proud of what I did, and will accept any punishment I receive, because I did it all for Palestine,” so declared Amjad Mahmad Awad, ahead of his indictment hearing in June. “I don’t regret what I did, even if it means I’m sentenced to death.”

At his sentencing in September, he reaffirmed his utter lack of remorse for butchering a family of strangers:

“Prior to the sentencing Awad declared he was not sorry and claimed he murdered the five “because of the occupation.”

During the court hearing, Awad claimed that Israeli security forces tied up and killed two men from his village. “I am 18 and in my teenage years. Not any young man of this age thinks about murder, only a Palestinian man whose land was taken. This is what the state does to me every day. When I want to leave my village I have to undergo a search which always involves beatings.”

As he left the court he motioned the V sign for Victory with his fingers. (See picture)

The judges asked Awad, who confessed to the murder last month, to refrain from discussing politics and instead talk about himself. “I am a person like you, I have no mental condition, I never had a serious illness. My only illness is the Israeli occupation.” He replied negatively when asked if he regrets his actions.”

link to ynetnews.com

According to Haaretz,

“Two Palestinians charged with the brutal murder of five members of the Fogel family in Itamar were indicted in a West Bank military court yesterday – Amjad Awad,19, and Hakim Awad, 18. The two confessed.

The military prosecution said forensic evidence – including DNA samples and fingerprints – linked them to the crime scene.

link to haaretz.com

Now, I’m all for withholding judgment until the facts can be ascertained, for protecting the rights of the accused, seeing that they receive fair treatment and due process, and that false confessions are not extorted from them by torture.

However, when there is forensic evidence linking those arrested for the crime, when they confess to it in cold, remorseless, and elaborate detail without any provable benefit of coercion, perform a detailed re-enactment of the crime for their interrogators, and proudly own responsibility for the crime at their indictment hearing, and again at their sentencing hearing, then responsibility for the crime can, I think, be plausibly established beyond a reasonable doubt, that there was about zero chance that a Thai worker in the vicinity would be guilty of a crime for which he would have had an unfathomable motive to commit, and that those who assert otherwise, and with no evidence, can be clearly seen as the disingenuous, partisan, anti-Israel prevaricators that they are.

• American says:

“It is rather difficult, however, to know what to make of some of these literally incredible statements about the Itamar murder being posted here. ”

People are use to Israel lying. If you habitually lie about everything people aren’t going to believe anything you say. Why would Israel pass up a chance to blame vicious murders on Palestines..they wouldn’t.
        The chance that Isr is telling the truth is about the same as finding a needle in a haystack.

• Woody Tanaka says:

However, when there is forensic evidence…

The problem, of course, is that we have only the word of the Israelis that all of the premeses of your syllogism is true. And given the fact that Israel has a history of torture to extract confession and a conviction rate that demonstrates a lack of due process or any validity to their proceses as legal proceses, there can be reliability placed on their legal proceedings by any reasonable mind.

I think it is at least reasonable that the Israeli secret police and occupation forces told these men that if they did not confess and act the part of the guilty, that the Israelis would kill them and slaughter their families. I cannot prove that, but I believe that it is reasonable to believe that such coercion occurred.

As far as I am concerned, if these men did this crime, then they should be punished. While I believe that the adults among these settlers are legitimate military targets and can be subject to legitimate armed resistance if they do not retreat back behind the green line, as they constitute an alien invading force, the children are innocent. And while the parents are ultimately responsible for their deaths for the criminal act of bring them with them into the war zone, if someone else killed them, that person should be punished. But no conviction by the occupying authorities holds any weight with me at all.

• American says:

“Annie Robbins you own an apology to every foreign worker for trying to blame then for the Itamar massacre, when it was the Palestinians who did it.”

I don’t know why I am bothering to respond to Mazella but I happened to be following comments on TWN immediately after the murder in Itamar and commenters were conversing with ‘jedell’ an American Jew who has relatives that actually live in Itamar. According to him everyone in the settlement suspected a Thia worker since they had access to the settlement and the murdered man had had an argument with one of the workers over money owed him. On top of that none of them could figure out how a Palestine or anyone unauthorized could have gotten in the settlement as it is fenced, guarded and has 24 hr. camera surveillance.
      Obviously the Israelis didn’t have the Palestines on that surveillance camera film becuase they first arrested that Thai worker before they moved on to looking for Palestine suspects.
      The fact is Israel has lied too many times about too many things for people to take their word for anything. And this would not be the first time they have railroaded a Palestine for a crime. Some outside experts would have show me the evidence before I accepted it because of Isr lies. And a gruesome murder is too juicy for Israel to pass up hanging on Palestine animals and terriers. It’s not impossible Isr is telling the truth, Palestines can be murders like anyone else, but it is unlikely Isr put much effort into finding the murder when they have the handy Palestines to blame and considering their track record.

• American says:

O.K. Werdine I read your links and I will accept that this Palestine did confess and is the murder. At the same time I recognize he is mentally ill because anyone who would kill a baby has to be mentally sick. As mentally sick as the Israelis who shoot children. As mentally sick as the Rabbi who preached gentile babies should be killed.
        There is no excuse for him or them except both are insane.
        The only different is he is getting what he deserves for murder while Israelis go scott free for murdering Palestines.

36. yourstruly says:

annie, annie
    bold & true
    whither mw
    without you?

• Philip Weiss says:

true, and beautifully stated.
      it’s really wonderful and affirming to see how many people get what a glorious talent Annie has

• omg, just read that.

it’s you phil, it’s you who encouraged me. seriously words cannot express, so i won’t start. but i will say love love love you. absolutely.

and thank you so much yourstruly. you are truly a gem.

• If Phil has mentored you, and others, that is truly a great gift, a tribute to a professional life.

I hope that he also introduces you to journalists of different stripe than himself, so that you have a variety of approaches to decide to adopt if you pursue a career.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“The action of mentoring professionally, is as Jewish as you get.”

Yeah, because no one ever heard of a non-Jew mentoring someone else. Get lost.

• Citizen says:

Gee, I think the Jesuits might also know a thing or two about “mentoring” the kids. Witty, are sleazy business practices also “as Jewish as you can get?” Just asking. How about usury generally? Again, just asking. In your response, you can refer to the Talmud if you so desire.

• Mooser says:

Citizen, you are being so unfair to Witty. Well, it’s not you, really, it’s this format. Citizen, I’m sure if you could hear his accent, see his hand gestures, watch the suggestive and mystical play of his eyebrows, and absorb the exact circumlocution of his eye-rollings, you would be completely convinced.
          Besides, he said a Jewish word mitzot (it’s a type of soft Matzoh), and what possible demurrer can one make to that?

• Mooser says:

“The action of mentoring professionally, is as Jewish as you get. It is considered one of the primary mitzvot.”

Oy, Richard, you make me so proud, when I think of all the women my great-grandfather professionally mentored.

• Citizen says:

Emcee (appearing with a Dick Witty in his normal attire)

I know what you’re thinking:
          You wondered why I chose him
          Out of all the boys in the world.
          That’s just a first impression,
          What good’s a first impression?
          If you knew him like I do
          It would change you’re point of view.

If you could see him through my eyes
          You wouldn’t wonder at all.
          If you could see him through my eyes
          I guarantee you would fall (like I did).
          When we’re on MW together
          I hear commenters moan.
          But if they could see Witty through my eyes
          Maybe they’d leave us alone.

How can I speak of Witty’s virtues,
          I don’t know where to begin?
          He’s clever, he’s smart, he reads stuff
          He doesn’t smoke or drink gin (like I do).
          Yet when we’re chatting together
          They sneer if I’m holding his hand.
          But if they could see Witty through my eyes
          Maybe they’d all understand.

(Emcee and Dick Witty dance)
          Why can’t they leave us alone.

Spoken: Meine Damen und Herren, Mesdames and Messieurs
          Ladies and Gentleman
          Is it a crime to fall for Witty?
          Can we ever tell where the heart truly leads us?
          All we are asking is eine bisschen Verstandnis
          Why can’t the world leben und leben lassen?
          ‘Live and let live….’

I understand your objection
          I grant you the problem’s not small
          But if you could see Witty through my eyes
          He wouldn’t look racist at all.

37. this is so much fun! you guys are wonderful. wonderful wonderful wonderful.

38. Inanna says:

Congrats Annie. Looking forward to your new role!

39. ToivoS says:

My apologies if I am spamming the site, but I posted this in nother thread:

OT but don’t where to place this. Ron Paul has just been excluded from a Jewish GOP candidates forum because his views on Israel are too “extreme”.

link to guardian.co.uk

40. ToivoS says:

oops the html code didn’t translate:

link to guardian.co.uk

41. Proton Soup says:

congrats. but i will miss the understated “annie”. :)

• i’ll miss it too proton, but it comes with the new territory.

you can still call me annie tho, i hope you all do. some things never change and i will always be just me, annie.

• American says:

I liked the little ‘a’ annie too….reminded me of the flower girl during Kent State who walked up to the soldiers and stuck a flower in their gun barrels….which is probably what this annie would do……:)

42. Tristan says:

Super Congrats, Annie.

43. LeaNder says:

Wonderful decision, Adam, Phil.

Congratulations Annie, strictly this is something that had to happen.

44. MRW says:

annie, great news, and congratulations. You have thrown your heart and soul into this site. (Just surfaced after 14 hours of reinstalling three different OS’s. Arrghh.)

45. patm says:

I second LeaNder’s comment, annie.

46. gracie fr says:

Congratulations…!!
    Well Done…!!!

47. MLE says:

Wow congrats. :)

48. Welcome Annie. Thank you for your priceless efforts with Phil and Adam. I have known you comitted to what you believe in.

49. Chaos4700 says:

So we’ve locked horns a few times, but I still say without reservation that you are a huge asset to Mondoweiss, and to the anti-Occupation movement at large. Thank you for your hard work, annie!

50. Abu Malia says:

I love that woman!

51. Good news to wake up to.We two, Annie and I, have exchanged positive thoughts on line few times. The last time that I remember was about Pamela Olson’s book, Fast Times in Palestine. Perhaps now that my wife and I are in NY (Soho) we could all get together over coffee or something

52. Kathleen says:

Annie Annie Annie….you are amazing! And Phil and Adam are smart for harnessing your commitment to human rights and justice! And your commitment to facts that you can back up. You go girl!

53. Kate says:

Hey Annie, I thought you already were ‘writer-at-large’! I love your posts, and your passion for justice.

54. dbroncos says:

Greetings Annie Robbins. Thanks for all your contributions to MW. Onward and upward!

55. iamuglow says:

Big up to you Annie! Congrats. Thanks also to Phil and Adam for growing this thing in the all right ways. Long may it last.

56. Bumblebye says:

A toast to Mondo’s Queen Annie!
    I’ll just pop some bread under the grill…..

57. jewishgoyim says:

Congratulations to Annie!

And too bad for the usual suspects who would like to make “Commentary” out of Mondoweiss. They really can’t stand a different voice can they? Yeah right, let’s drown Mondoweiss in neoconism and make it fair and balanced! Let’s replace Phil with Witty and Annie with Hopmi and let’s call it Mondowitty! Now we’re getting somewhere!

Trolls…

And whatever you may think of Annie’s writing, there are small windows in time when criticism is just rude and inappropriate. This is such a small window. If Hopmi and Witty were just a tad polite, they would have congratulated Annie while maybe recognizing they often disagree with her. Not being able to hold your fire in these circumstances is piggish behavior. And it reflects so obviously badly on you that one wonders whether you have sociopathic tendencies.

• Mooser says:

“Let’s replace Phil with Witty and Annie with Hopmi and let’s call it Mondowitty”

They could have “Mondowitty.com” up and running in fifteen minutes, for an investment of exactly bupkis. But they don’t, do they?

58. CTuttle says:

Aloha, Annie, it’s great to see all this deserved praise meted out to ya…!

Are you going to use your full name now at MOA, SST, and other various sites too…? ;-)

59. Ira Glunts says:

Thanks for all you have posted here. And for your responses to my posts and comments. I hardly think that you were “behind the scenes,” but if that means you will be more visible here from now on, I say, “wonderful!!”

60. Chu says:

Thanks for staying committed to this issue of Palestinian oppression, Annie.
    I think your enthusiasm to this cause is admirable. I really do see a change
    in the Israeli narrative in the past 5 years. Slowly but surely, this quasi-religious apartheid scheming will bubble to the front pages of major news
    organizations in the corporate american news. This racket has went on for too
    long in the US, and once most Americans learn the truth they cannot pretend it doesn’t exist. To do so would be un-American. Keep it going!

61. Annie,
    I’m sorry if my earlier comment was insensitive.

I hope that you learn a great deal, see a great deal, express a great deal, and always with compassion for all parties.

I hope that you develop your bullshit detection capabilities to be able to discern opportunistic hype wherever you see it.

I hope that you never find yourself in a position where you have to lie to yourself or to others in order to survive or to retain reputation; in other words that you be truly independent and never gullible.

• Citizen says:

Witty, we are not worried Annie will become like you; incidentally, you captured yourself quite well: “… you never find yourself in a position where you have to lie to yourself or to others in order to survive or to retain reputation.”

Classic freudian projection you so exhibit. Why don’t you do something about it? Come on, surprise us!

• Shingo says:

I’m sure you have given Annie plenty of practice Witty. Every time your name appears in the comment section, everyone’s bullshit detectors flash red.

I’m sure you are an example of someone who lies to themselves every day, and is truly gullible. For that, she and the rest of us owe you a debt of gratitude for being an example of what not to aspire to.

• john h says:

Richard, how useful is that magic word “if“.

So good that I too will use it. If only you had just left it out of that first sentence, and wrote

I’m sorry, my earlier comment was insensitive.

If is the difference between the fake and the real.

• Mooser says:

“I’m sorry if my earlier comment was insensitive.”

I’m sorry, Richard, but which one of your 11,000 earlier comments are you referring to?

Anyway, I’m sure Annie will take your warning not to sink to the intellectually bestial level of Phil and Adam. She’ll never be “coerced” or be “brainwashed” for a plate of Hummus.

62. eGuard says:

Welcome. And please keep writing in lowercase. I like all the changes.