’5 Broken Cameras’ director detained in LAX on way to Oscars (Updated)

580x358
Emad Burnat in Bil’in. (Photo: Edmund Sanders / LA Times)

Update:

5 Broken Cameras director Emad Burnat has issued a statement on being detained at LAX:

“Last night, on my way from Turkey to Los Angeles, CA, my family and I were held at US immigration for about an hour and questioned about the purpose of my visit to the United States. Immigration officials asked for proof that I was nominated for an Academy Award® for the documentary 5 BROKEN CAMERAS and they told me that if I couldn’t prove the reason for my visit, my wife Soraya, my son Gibreel and I would be sent back to Turkey on the same day.

After 40 minutes of questions and answers, Gibreel asked me why we were still waiting in that small room. I simply told him the truth: ‘Maybe we’ll have to go back.’ I could see his heart sink.

Although this was an unpleasant experience, this is a daily occurrence for Palestinians, every single day, throughout the West Bank. There are more than 500 Israeli checkpoints, roadblocks, and other barriers to movement across our land, and not a single one of us has been spared the experience that my family and I experienced yesterday. Ours was a very minor example of what my people face every day.”

Emad Burnat

Update:

Michael Moore has written an account of the story on his website — “How My Friend and Current Oscar Nominee Emad Burnat Was Held and Threatened with Deportation Last Night at LAX.”

Original Post:

Last night filmmaker Michael Moore broke news over Twitter when he reported that 5 Broken Cameras director Emad Burnat was being detained at Los Angeles International Airport along with his family when they arrived to attend the Academy Awards this Sunday. Burnat was threatened with deportation, but eventually let into the United States for one week to attend the awards ceremony. Burnat reportedly told Moore: “It’s nothing I’m not already used to, when you live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence.”

Here is how Moore told the story to his 1.4 million Twitter followers:

Emad Burnat detained at LAX on his way to the Oscars

Filmmaker Michael Moore tweets about ’5 Broken Cameras’ director Emad Burnat being detained at Los Angeles International Airport when he arrived to attend the Oscar awards on Sunday, March 24.

Storified by Mondoweiss· Wed, Feb 20 2013 06:57:09

Emad Burnat, Palestinian director of Oscar nominated "5 Broken Cameras" was held tonight by immigration at LAX as he landed to attend OscarsMichael Moore
Emad, his wife & 8-yr old son were placed in a holding area and told they didn’t have the proper invitation on them to attend the Oscars.Michael Moore
Although he produced the Oscar invite nominees receive, that wasn’t good enough & he was threatened with being sent back to Palestine.Michael Moore
Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn’t understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee. Emad texted me for help.Michael Moore
I called Academy officials who called lawyers. I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times.Michael Moore
After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in LA for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America.Michael Moore
"It’s nothing I’m not already used to," he told me later. "When u live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence."Michael Moore
Emad Burnat, Palestinian farmer turned filmmaker, director of "5 Broken Cameras", the 1st Palestinian doc ever nominated for the Oscar.Michael Moore
This all just happened tonight, a few hours ago. He was certain they were going to deport him. But not if I had anything to do about it.Michael Moore

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in Israel/Palestine, Occupation, US Politics | Tagged

{ 109 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Scott says:

Good f-ing god. If only Obama knew.

2. MRW says:

It makes your teeth grate to read this, doesn’t it? Thank god he had Moore’s number.

3. VickiV says:

Shame on the US INS. Against all odds, Emad was able to make this film, get it distributed, was nominated for an Academy Award, was permitted to travel outside of the West Bank, then the US detains him. Humduallah!

4. Kathleen says:

thank goodness he contacted Micheal Moore. Going to see the film tonight on the Univ of Colorado’s campus.

Took your story over to Huff Po, Going to Tehran, Informed Comment, Foreign Policy, Raw Story, Emptywheel’s. Not up over at any of these places.

37 years ago Vanessa Redgrave spoke out when she was receiving her Oscar about how “Zionist thugs” were protesting her and her film Palestine. She was basically run out of Hollywood. Now a Palestinian’s film 5 Broken Cameras up for an Oscar but the film maker detained at the LAX airport……. America and the I lobby

5. Woody Tanaka says:

As infuriating as it is, I can’t say I’m surprised. Good on Michael Moore.

6. Come on Michael Moore. Follow up your expose of the Busch clan with an expose of the lobby.

Then we’d know the tide of American opinion is turning.

7. American says:

This is just outrageous.
    Are Palestine’s routinely barred from the US..is this SOP?…. or was this a ‘special’
    treatment arranged by some zios because of his film?
    We should find out.

• Good question. According to Al Akhbar, Burnat has been in the US several times in the past year, without incident, so it would be interesting to know what/who provoked his detention this time round.

link to english.al-akhbar.com

• American says:

This probably the answer:….one of the usual suspects, I am sure, either a big wig Hollywood Zio or one of our Israeli politicians, had someone at LAX immigration do this.

link to travel.state.gov

” About entry into the United States: Please note that neither possession of a valid passport, nor meeting the basic requirements for traveling visa-free on the VWP, guarantees admission to the United States.
        As with most countries, immigration officials at the port of entry make the final determination of admissibility.”

• American says:

Here are the restrictions the Israeli Agents in the US government put on Palestine visas….under the Homeland Security Act.
        It is suppose to apply only to PLO members or Palestines who have been designated as terrorist.

link to travel.state.gov

• American says:

In constrast here is what the US Zionist Traitors who infect the US do for Israel—-even though Israel has killed Americans– USS Liberty, Rachel Corrie — even though Israel killed 27 Americans in the King David Hotel bombing– even thought the FBI says Israel spys on and steals more US security and even US industrial intellectual property than any other country — even though Israeli Pollard was the damaging spy to the US in our history, and on…and on..and on.

Congressman Introduces Visa Waiver for Israelis
        Legislation introduced that would no longer require Israelis to obtain visas to visit the United States for tourism or business purposes.

By Rachel Hirshfeld
        First Publish: 5/22/2012, 7:17 PM
        Reuters

US Congressman Brad Sherman (D-CA) introduced legislation on Friday that would no longer require Israelis to obtain visas to visit the United States for tourism or business purposes.
        The Visa Waiver Program allows nationals from certain countries to enter the US as temporary visitors for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa from a US consulate abroad.
        “Israel is our closest friend and democratic ally in the Middle East,” Sherman said in a statement. “Adding Israel to the Visa Waiver Program will boost business, tourism, and job creation here in the U.S. and enhance cultural ties between our two nations.”
        The Israeli embassy in Washington also endorsed the bill.”

• When he went to Michigan for Michael Moore’s film festival, he was going to fly through Tel Aviv. They hassled him so much, and denied his exit from there, so he had to go through Amman, Jordan instead. This time, he just went through Amman, but was harassed for 6 hours at the border checkpoint by the IDF. So I’d say it was “special treatment” alright.

• ritzl says:

@Phil Perspective And what you say is among the most bizarre aspects of this outrage. Israel was claiming 5BC as an “Israeli” film.

So the co-director of an “Israeli film” (from their peculiar perspective on these things) can’t fly out of BGA? And worse (again from their peculiar perspective) has to undergo 6 hours of delay in order to get to Amman?

Maybe that’s just “Right hand – Left hand” [not!] inconsistency, but damn, it’s the Oscars. Off the rails.

The Israelis just can’t help themselves. How can a country be so meticulously intent on, and good at, persecution that it misses/discounts/thinks no one will notice the actual reality that they themselves do? Which, to me, means they’re going to “just can’t help themselves” into irrelevance, if not oblivion. Probably most importantly political irrelevance/oblivion with the vast majority of Americans.

It’s like they were spotlighting the truth in the film. Most bizarre.

8. piotr says:

Good news is that apparently they were not separated, humiliated, deprived of phone calls etc. Bad news is … rather obvious. Since Burnat got a visa, I assume that his name is in some data base that triggers “special treatment”, and this is part of the dark side of our government.

For myself, I have a fond memory of the Canadian immigration. Once I visited Canada and I was afoul of some requirements (no valid passport, but with explanations why and a formal letter from American authorities). After an hour or so the official gave me an enormously long pink sheet of paper which was a conditional release from the custody of Canadian Immigration service for one week, which was exactly what I needed. Except that my status was “in detention, but on a short parole release”.

9. lysias says:

If this had happened before all the votes were already in for the Oscars, it might well have gotten him an Academy Award.

Let’s hope he gets it anyway.

10. dbroncos says:

I’d be curious to know if this was a case of profiling according to standard procedures or if it was the result of someone like Pam Geller “tipping off” LAX authorities to be on the look out for an Arab masquerading as an Oscar nominee. Maybe Michael Moore could include the answer to this question, among many others, in his next movie about the Israel Lobby :-) Plenty of muckraking to do on that subject, Mr. Moore. You’ll be hip deep in the bilge before your first interview is over.

• Citizen says:

@ dbroncos
      Yeah, it’s so obvious that Michael Moore attacks so many sacred cows it earns him the right to wear his baseball cap backwards, but he has never attacked the Israel Lobby. I guess we should be happy he at least put pressure on the US government to allow subject director to attend the Oscars….

11. Parity says:

This episode shows how the mainstream media’s portrayal of Palestinians as terrorists and incompetents has affected ordinary Americans’ attitudes toward Palestinians.

12. amigo says:

Zios using a sledgehammer to break an egg. Don’t you love it when they get egg all over their faces.

13. RudyM says:

Welcome to the land of the free and the home of the brave.

14. Kathleen says:

Front and center at Huff Po
    Right-Wing Media Reported Chuck Hagel Was ‘Friends With Hamas’… Based On Reporter’s Joke
    link to huffingtonpost.com

• kalithea says:

Hp is Zio journalism central. Nothing that’s written there be it Left, Right or Centre is pure journalism; tainted is how I would describe it, and the moderation there…OH HEAVENS! BIASED doesn’t even cover it.

Oh, and when you enter there, it’s like you’re entering a used-car lot with the in-your-face sales pitch everywhere you turn.

• Kathleen says:

Things have opened up a bit at the HP. A few years ago you could not get a link up over there to Mondoweiss, Going to Tehran, Informed comment…now you can some of the time.

15. RE: Michael Moore . . . reported that 5 Broken Cameras director Emad Burnat was being detained at Los Angeles International Airport along with his family . . . Burnat reportedly told Moore: “It’s nothing I’m not already used to, when you live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence.” ~ Adam Horowitz

MY COMMENT: Power Occupation corrupts. Absolute power occupation corrupts absolutely!
    Shakespeare’s play Macbeth is one long example of how power corrupts. That is basically the premise of the play ‘absolute power corrupts absolutely’.
    At the beginning of the play Macbeth is a good man, a well respected soldier and a loving husband – all of that is destroyed once he becomes king.
    Lady Macbeth is also seduced by the idea of her husband having power, however it doesn’t sit too well with her after the fact.

16. “Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn’t understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee.”

The Israelification of America.

• kalithea says:

That and dumb too.

• zionist occupied government

• Rusty Pipes says:

There’s a difference between owned and pwned. American politicians talk about “friends.” Israeli politicians talk about “freiers.”

• W.Jones says:

Thanks. Would you happen to know what is the origin of the term?

• American says:

What’s a freier?

• sardelapasti says:

In prostitutes’ slang, a Freier is a john

• W.Jones says:

American,

It is reported to be “a key concept in understanding Israeli society and psyche.” link to thejc.com

However, I find it strange. On one hand, the article explains it this way:
          “It is best translated as mug or sucker.”
          Urban dictionary gives an example:

Following the recent breakdown of talks with the Palestinians, the Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, proudly told Israeli journalists: “I’m no freier.” “We are not suckers,” he said, using the Hebrew slang word “freier,” which means sucker, or chump. “Israel cannot give and give and not get anything back in return.”

But on the other hand, the first article I cited explains:

The freier is the one who waits patiently in line at the supermarket and would not dream of leaving his trolley to zip around the aisles for the last few vital items.

The freier in the army is the one who asks the “she’elat kitbag” (kitbag question, another crucial term; the sergeant orders everyone to run three times around the base, to which the freier queries innocently, “Is that with or without our kitbags?”).

Wikipedia suggests that it comes from freiherr, gentleman or minor nobility in German. This reflects the perception that the German immigrants to Israel were fastidious about keeping the rules, and so most likely to be made freiers.

So I’m confused: the first meaning seems to be someone who gets “duped” into things. But the second meaning seems to be someone who just wants to follow rules. I don’t see what is “stupid” about that.

• Citizen says:

@ Annie Robbins

Cindy Sheehan: Is it a police state yet? (interview, Sybil Edmonds):link to radio4all.net

• w.jones, it’s stupid to follow the rules in a society/system that rewards breaking them. it means everyone around you is moving forward and you’re in the back fiddling with rules, regulations and being honorable.

• goldmarx says:

The origin of the term “ZOG”? It was coined by American neo-Nazis to identify their enemy.

• radkelt says:

In french AKA Freier Jacque

• W.Jones says:

Sard,

I read this was one possible explanation for the term being used in The Land.

• ToivoS says:

But don’t use the term unless you are ready to branded an antisemite. Really.

• W.Jones says:

ToivoS,

I checked the internet, and you’re right. I remember seeing it in a Haaretz article (or similar Israeli publication), where the leftist author asked if the term was accurate.

• Woody Tanaka says:

“But don’t use the term unless you are ready to branded an antisemite. Really.”

Yes, because it’s a neo-Nazi, antisemitic term. Some brain dead fools might not be able to tell the difference between criticism of Jews, criticism of Israel as a state or Zionism as an ideology (or, worse, the moral reprobates who intend to blur the difference…) but people of good will certainly should.

• W.Jones says:

Woody,

I agree with you. Why is the term anti-semitic though, if the Haaretz author is considering it?

You’re right about people confusing the difference. An article in the New International “Zog Ate My Brains” seems to:

‘When we blame US foreign policy on Israel or some Jewish cabal,’ it ‘takes the heat off those who are the real decision makers,’ says Penny Rosenwasser, a board member of US-based Jewish Voice for Peace. ‘We need to aim our criticism at the proper targets. US foreign policy is influenced more by corporate interests, the Christian Right and the arms manufacturers than by the Israeli Government.’ Rosenwasser points out that it is US foreign policy that needs to be challenged: ‘Blaming scapegoats diverts us from our work for human rights and justice.’

link to newint.org

Many political issues are affected by lobbies that focus on specific issues. So what about the importance of a lobby specifically dedicated to this issue – as opposed to “corporate interests” in general?

• W.Jones says:

Another point on the New International articel: If the Israeli government achieved peace and good relations with its neighbors like Syria, the US would naturally follow suit. JVP considers the Israeli government to be largely responsible for that situation, so isn’t US foreign policy strongly influenced by the State’s policies?

17. Kate says:

from the Lebanese newspaper Al-Akhbar:
    link to english.al-akhbar.com

“The director was interrogated, detained for an hour and a half, and had his fingerprints taken twice. Airport officers googled his name to confirm that he had indeed been nominated for an Oscar.

LAX officials at first told Burnat they intended to deny him entry to the United States. “I told them I don’t care if you send me back to Palestine, just don’t detain me for any longer,” Burnat said.

His wife and eight-year-old son, who is the documentary’s main character, were also held at the airport.

During his layover in Turkey’s Istanbul, Burnat was also questioned by airport security officials.

Asked whether he thought he was sought out because of his film, Burnat said: ‘I don’t know, but this is the first time this happens. I’ve been to the States six times in the last year.’ ”

18. ritzl says:

I wonder if his Jewish Israeli co-director was likewise detained and only allowed in the US for a week.

• Avi_G. says:

ritzl says:
      February 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I’m not sure what type of visa Emad Burnat had, but even a tourist visa to the U.S. is valid for 6 months.

• kalithea says:

And you think the fuss was all about the visa??? I got some cheap swampland property might interest you.

• Avi_G. says:

kalithea says:
          February 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I was clearly stating that even a tourist visa allows one entry to the US for a period of 6 months. So the cheap stunt of restricting Mr. Emad Burnat to a period of one week and threatening him with visa restrictions was pathetic.

They did the same to Ayed Morrar when he came to the US screening of the movie Budrus at the Tribeca Film Festival.

I have a post — that’s awaiting moderation — which should clarify things for you.

• kalithea says:

I guess your wording led me to believe that maybe his visa wasn’t like the Zionist director’s visa; and let’s not forget the other director is a Zionist. That in itself puts him in a different category in the racist world of Zionism.

Second, I’m sure Burnat had his papers in order being accumstomed to the zio-fascist system that oppresses him daily. So to question the type of visa he has seemed disingenuous to me when we all know what this is really about: profiling, intimidation and a lame attempt at suppressing the truth via demonization of the director.

• ritzl says:

@Avi_G. And “they” did it to the Palestinian Kairos speakers to the PCUSA synod as well. Only there, “they” simply denied them visas. Probably countless more examples.

19. munro says:

5 Broken Cameras and Gatekeepers will probably lose to Searching for Sugarman – about Rodriguez voice of the South African anti-apartheid movement – by Swedish filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul.
    Tavis Smiley interview: link to pbs.org

link to haaretz.com

20. Jan says:

The State Dept. rules for entry under the Patriot Act contains this provision: An alien who is an officer, official, representative, or spokesman of the Palestine Liberation Organization is considered, for purposes of this Act, to be engaged in a terrorist activity.

When Chuck Hagel said that the State Dept. is controlled by Israel this is just a small bit of the evidence that proves what Hagel said is correct. The Palestinians are the only group identified by name.

• kalithea says:

“When Chuck Hagel said that the State Dept. is controlled by Israel this is just a small bit of the evidence that proves what Hagel said is correct.”

Shhhhh! Don’t give them more amunition. Besides, if or when Hagel makes it, his brain will be completely rewired. He’ll forget he ever made that comment.

• Avi_G. says:

Yet the General Delegation of the PLO is right there on Wisconsin Avenue in Washington, DC with a Palestinian flag flying at the mast.

I don’t get it.

21. bryan says:

Thank Goodness they only the director rather than the principle actor – otherwise we would have had another ‘Operation Cast Lead’ on our hands’.

• Avi_G. says:

bryan says:
      February 20, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Good thing they did away with those silly color-coded terror alerts. Otherwise they’d declare Threat Level Burgundy.

22. tombishop says:

Interview with Emad Burnat and Guy Dividi on Huffington Post. The video is at the bottom of the Post:

link to huffingtonpost.com

23. Avi_G. says:

Emphasis added:

By Bart Jansen, USA TODAY
    Updated 10/14/2011 4:54 AM

“By adding this level of security, we create a new situation for the bad guys that is much more difficult to overcome,” says Rafi Ron, a former director of security at Israel’s Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv, who was hired to help beef up Logan’s security.

Israeli profiling explicitly labels a 25-year-old Palestinian from Gaza as a higher risk aboard a plane than an elderly Holocaust survivor, Ron says. He acknowledges that system wouldn’t work in the United States because of laws against racial and religious discrimination.

Source: link to travel.usatoday.com

And yet:

The Transportation Security Administration said Monday that the department’s inspector general will examine the complaints that Middle Easterners, Hispanics and blacks have been targeted in the program. The New York Times reported Sunday that 32 TSA officers at Logan made the complaints.

[...]

The Times reported that [those TSA] officers [who complained] say their co-workers were targeting minorities, thinking that the stops would lead to the discovery of drugs, outstanding arrest warrants and immigration problems in response to pressure from managers.

Source: link to travel.usatoday.com

There is also the matter of so-called “secondary screenings” where some travelers who had already gone through the normal TSA screening at the security checkpoint are pulled aside at the gate by Customs and Border Protection (in plainclothes, no uniform) and questioned, searched again and badgered about their trip.

I was traveling once to Europe with a co-worker who happens to be an Arab-American. He was pulled aside at the gate by a plainclothed agent who flashed his CBP badge and proceeded to interrogate my colleague.

There, at the boarding gate, standing by the conveyer belt of a mobile x-ray scanner, the CBP agent wanted to know where my colleague was staying overseas, what countries he was planning to visit, how much money he was taking with him, and how did he obtain his American citizenship.

Then the CBP agent went on to badger him, insinuating that my Arab-American colleague wasn’t going to the countries to which he purchased a ticket, but was somehow going to travel to a second or third destination outside of Europe.

Remember, this was all happening at the gate prior to departure from the US.

That agent also asked him about his family in Palestine. He wanted to know how often he visited them and where he goes when he visits there.

When the ordeal was over, and my colleague politely asked the plainclothed CBP agent for his name, the agent became indignant, raised his voice and threatened him with additional more invasive searches if he didn’t leave to board the plane.

When he handed back the passport, the CBP agent told my colleague, “Be prepared to answer questions in the future whenever you fly”.

This has nothing to do with aviation safety. The CBP has become an information collection arm of US intelligence agencies where the border is used as an excuse to invade the privacy of those deemed undesirable, to harass them and treat them as criminals until proven innocent.

In summary, both the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) and the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) are agencies were agents with a god complex abuse, humiliate and harass travelers on a whim.

And that harassment, discrimination, profiling and abuse goes unchecked because Janet Neapolitano thinks they bring a real “security value” while she pays the public lip service when she appoints an expert to investigate allegations of racial profiling.

24. Kathleen says:

google pages growing and growing with this story. Let’s see if the so called liberal MSNBC touches it tonight?

25. Kathleen says:

Moore 5 broken Cameras taking front and center at Huff Po. Oh yeah
    link to huffingtonpost.com

• …And fast being overrun by hasbarists calling this a non-newsworthy, non-discriminatory, non-event, indistinct from the treatment of other non-citizens.

Nonsense.

26. kalithea says:

Hang a sign at U.S. entry: WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF ISRAEL

Because this incident is about one thing and one thing only: ZIONISM and it’s not coming to a city near you; IT’S HERE.

27. In the mass consciousness created by the crudest variant of Zionist propaganda, “Palestinian” means “terrorist” — simply because this is virtually the sole context in which Palestinians are ever mentioned.

28. kalithea says:

This incident is all about ZIONISM and it’s not coming to a city near you; it’s already here. Or haven’t y’all noticed how the rule of law and democracy have already been compromised, I mean Israelified? Welcome the “new” but not improved America: torture, detention w/o representation, targeted assassinations on steroids, FISA, Patriot Act, Israeli-style airports…a day in the life of the occupied, just ask Palestinians, nothing new to them.

In 2001, Netanyahu stated: “We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon…” No doubt. I’ll bet he feels totally vindicated for that bit of truth!

Unfortunately, even a broken clock is right twice…: “America is something that can be easily moved. Moved to the right direction.” It’s been moved alright, and with the media in the Zio-corner, the “dumb-down effect” is guaranteed!

29. I wonder if he’ll do his next documentary on his treatment in America.

Are Israeli-Americans who change their names frequently (like their Australian counterparts) detained or do they get ushered past the waiting line?

30. dbroncos says:

Kathleen,

I’m also going to the 5 Broken Cameras screening tonight at CU. I recently moved to Boulder and I’d enjoy meeting you at the screening. My name is Bob Nesbit. Look for me in a silver-grey coat. I’d love to hear about I/P activism opportunities in Boulder/Denver area.

• Kathleen says:

Hey met dbronco tonight at the 5broken cameras film tonight. Mondoweiss six degree of separation. A pleasure. The film…still digesting. Know most folks here have all ready seen. I don’t think I could stay non violent if someone were bulldozing my home, stealing my land. I have always understood why some Palestinians have gotten violent. The violence that they have been pounded with for decades from the I government, military crazy ass settlers. I would definitely be in prison or dead

• Citizen says:

Will be interesting to see what clip of 5 Broken Cameras they will flash on the big screen when it and it’s maker are introduced as contender.

31. Carowhat says:

I don’t understand this. Immigration (finally) let him into the country because he was nominated for an Academy Award. What if he was here merely to go to Disneyland or to visit the Grand Canyon? They would have immediately sent him home?

• Avi_G. says:

They would have immediately sent him home?

My understanding is that if they wanted to, they could. They have the discretion, hence my “god complex” statement up-thread.

I was reading online about people’s experiences with CBP, and one traveler from Canada stated that a CBP agent said to him something to the effect that, “If you want to get into my country you’ll have to go through an inspection and answer my questions.”

You’ve got people with too much power in their hands, both over US citizens and non-US citizens.

32. lyn117 says:

I honestly think probably someone in the Israeli government put his name on a list of people to question.

Of course, the Israeli state department is claiming the film is an “Israeli” film, despite almost none of it was filmed in Israel or by Israelis. I guess it goes with Israel claiming Palestine is part of Israel, hummus and cherry tomatoes are Israeli inventions.

33. Off-topic but of some importance to address the “argument” that some ignorant, brainwashed Zionists in denial still use in regards to the existence of a country called Palestine. Here is a video of a Football match Australia V Palestine which took place in Sydney in 1939 recorded by the British Pathe Gazetta.
    link to britishpathe.com

34. Citizen says:

” Burnat texted fellow filmmaker Michael Moore—who, ironically, was one of the film’s harshest critics. ” link to thedailybeast.com

• Woody Tanaka says:

“Quoted from Article in Daily Beast referring reader to CNN article which say no such thing. Moore in fact has stated his high regard for the movie.”

Of course, it did. Daily Beast is the home of Open Zion, an apologist site for the vilest kind of ethno-religious supremacism. Can’t have its readers — who may be PEPs — being discomforted by the fact that someone they may admire, like Moore, dislikes the film. In fact, he’s on record saying it’s not only one of the best documentaries of the year, but one of the best movies — period — of the year. (http://on.aol.com/video/michael-moore—5-broken-cameras–could-win-oscar-517678816)
      So Daily Beast lies because the PEPs who read the site are cowards who can’t face reality.

• munro says:

This kind of low dirty bs is typical of hollywood zionists. Not only doesn’t the CNN article say that, Michael Moore has been hailing 5 Broken Cameras for months, linking to free online streams and much more. Moore is the most influential champion the film and Burnat have in the industry.

It will be interesting to see if Academy Awards host Seth MacFarlane and others will be able to resist commenting on comparisons between Argo’s fake American filmmakers trying to get through the Tehran airport and 5 Broken Cameras’ real Palestinian filmmaker trying to get through LAX to attend the Oscars.
        link to michaelmoore.com

• Citizen says:

@ munro
          Judging by Family Guy and how its generally “no holds barred” satire handles Jewish and Jew, I doubt Mr MacFarlane will make such jokes at the Academy Awards.

• munro says:

Filmmaker Michael Moore, who came to the defense of Palestinian “5 Broken Cameras” co-director Emad Burnat when he was detained at Lax earlier this week, said that Burnat’s film has an excellent chance of winning a Best Documentary Feature Oscar this weekend.

“It has an excellent chance of winning because it’s one of the best movies of the year,” Moore told HuffPost Live host Ahmed Shihab-Eldin Wednesday. “Not just one of the best documentaries. ’5 Broken Cameras’ is one of the best movies of the year. And I know many, many people in the Academy who’ve seen it and were just amazed and moved by this film.”

link to imdb.com