Why Ahed Tamimi’s slap is so thrilling to Palestinians

Bassem Tamimi, Ahed’s father, has written: “I’m proud of my daughter. She is a freedom fighter who, in the coming years, will lead the resistance to Israeli rule.” From across the globe where I return annually with my wife to her native Hawaii, I hereby second Bassem’s assertion and propose to give it further formal international recognition by adopting Ahed as the poster child of the most significant Palestinian peaceful resistance movement, that of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS.) This assigns a role for Ahed not only in the struggle against occupation but against Israel’s triple moral crime of the occupation, of exiling the Palestinian refugees and of denying its Palestinian citizens equality under its laws, all infractions of accepted provisions of international human rights law.

But first, here are some background explanations:

The first name of the Palestinian teen that has been so much in the international social media of late is actually a mistaken transliteration of the striking youth’s name. The correct spelling should be A’ahd beginning with the guttural a’ (a’in) of Semitic languages followed by the short vowel (a). It is a venerable old Arabic term meaning ‘promise’ or ‘covenant,’ such as the legendary mutually binding contractual agreement between Abraham and the Lord. Let us not jump to conclusions though: Arabs are the descendants of Abraham as well. They are in the habit of circumcising their boys in keeping with their side of the biblical deal.

Another light that flashes in my mind when I hear the noun ‘Ahed’ is its diminutive form of U’hda, meaning ‘guarantee’, especially that of the second Islamic Caliph, Omar ibn Al-Khattab, which he issued to the Christian (and Jewish) population of Jerusalem when their Byzantine Patriarch Sophronius submissively awarded him the key to their city. The document has become a veritable code of honorable conduct by a conqueror towards his new subjects. Nostalgic Arabs till the present time copy it in fancy calligraphy and frame and hang it proudly in their living rooms and guesthouses.

To give the sense of Omar’s nostalgic era of victorious justice and foresight, let me dwell on its ambiance and circumstantial vibe: Arab and Islamic historians recount another incident relevant to the current conflict over the holy sites in Jerusalem: Sophronius invited Omar to pray in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Aware of the significance his followers would attach to such a step and in light of the guarantee of freedom of worship he had included in his U’hda, he made a fateful, even if magnanimous, gesture that would confound Palestinians and all Moslems till the present time: He chose to clean a space in the city’s garbage dump for his prayers. What he apparently failed to realize was that the site was that of the Jewish holiest spot on earth. The Roman forces had not only destroyed the Jewish temple but demoted the site to a refuse dump for the city.

As the repository of millennia of cumulative racial admixtures from the many invading forces to my original Canaanite substratum, including from the above-mentioned Hebrew, Roman and Arab interlopers, I bet you my last Aloha shirt that my genes have more Semitic markers than do those of Netanyahu, Lieberman and Bennett combined. I hesitate to tussle with Regev though.  Despite all her display of rabid Zionism and Ashkenazi mannerisms, attitudes, and assumed identity, her Arab roots still shine through and she may well outdo me on that count. Think of the poor woman’s predicament!

Apropos of which, let me quote Amira Hass:

After construction began on Halamish, on the lands of Nabi Saleh and other villages in 1978, an American journalist came to interview the villagers, they say. “How long have you been here,” he asked the village elder. The elder took the reporter by the sleeve and led him to the top of a hill overlooking a green, cultivated wadi. “You see the wadi, young man? When Adam and Eve were frolicking there below, we were already here.”

While on the racial origins kick, few fail to notice Ahed’s atypical Arab features, especially her in-your-face hair and intent blue eyes. The Tamimis claim descent from a Palestinian wine merchant who, on one of his trade missions to the Arabian Peninsula, befriended the prophet Mohammad, God’s prayers and peace be upon him, and was authorized by the prophet himself to look after God’s country in the environs of Al-Khalil (Hebron) in perpetuity with the property rights passing down the family line till the present day. Exactly what atypical genes he or his wife had or what admixture the line had accrued since is not recorded in the book arguing the case of the Tamimis’ land claims in Southern Palestine that I have read.

Another educated guess regarding Ahed’s name: I wager that the struggle of her village to keep defending their land and natural spring in the face of Israeli settler encroachment was at the root of her parents’ choice of her name, Ahed, a promise of struggle and an immutable faith in a just future for all Palestinians. Obviously, the child has internalized her parents’ trust and hope through sharing in their relentless daily life of resistance and struggle for survival, through their Friday peaceful demonstrations and through maintaining their identity as Palestinian farmers, as much a part of the land they defend as its stones.

Every time I watch another video of the Tamimis of Nabi Saleh’s weekly confrontations with the Israeli occupying soldiers, which has gone on every Friday for the past ten years, I find myself focusing more on the mortarless retaining walls in their fields than on the violence the occupying Israeli army visits on them. I remember the innumerable times I helped my father build such walls on our land in Galilee. I recall how much I admired his skill in fitting each individual stone in consideration of its three-dimensional configuration and weight to engage the exact geometric properties of the existing space in the developing wall and how that one stone fit to form the next expectant space in the ever-reconfiguring endless puzzle. Then comes a group of foreigners with their bulldozers and scuttles the whole centuries-old minutely-balanced hillside, does away with the accumulated labor of love of generations, dig trenches and deep wounds in the hillside face of our productive land and take over our water spring. They pull out our ancestral olives that our parents and their parents before them toiled all their lives to sustain and be sustained by them.

This is the time, perhaps, for some horse trading and negotiations: If the Israeli armed forces, the most moral army in the world as per their Hasbara claims, and their government, the only democracy in the Middle East (ditto), were to abide by the eighth century rules of U’hdat Omar, we the Palestinians would scratch off all claims to independence and a separate state. Remember though, U’hdat Omar guaranteed all residents the full protection of life and property and the free practice of their faith against the payment of tax. It can be easily stretched to fit its modern equivalent of one secular and democratic state west of the Jordan River. But remember the refugees: we have to start in 1948 and deal with the status-quo-ante of that period.

For those who are interested in further details of the phenomenon called Ahed Tamimi, here are my choices from the dozens of articles that I have read since the affair, Israel’s tsunami of shame, broke out:

Ben Ehrenreich in The Nation

Bassem Tamimi’s Op-ed in Newsweek

Lisa Goldman’s article in +972

Jonathan Ofir’s article in Mondoweiss

In conclusion, it is with elation and much expectation befitting my discovery of the obvious that I submit to the world my rationale for my proposal:

1. Like BDS, Ahed Tamimi is modern. Much of what the world knows about the two has been spread through the social and electronic news media. Ahed is a Palestinian village girl. Like many of her age mates the world over she dresses in casual western attire. What grabs the viewers’ attention is her curly thick hair and the depth of seriousness in her blue eyes. That is the very image of solemnity the Palestinian civil society’s international appeal for justice, the BDS, has managed to impart to its campaign: modern, clean cut and courageous to a fault.
  2. Like BDS, Ahed Tamimi represents the whole Palestinian community and acts in their collective name. Living nearly all of my life as part of that people and experientially, intellectually and sentimentally sharing in the land that sustains them, the air they breathe, the language they speak and the dreams that inspire them, I can honestly testify that no Palestinian but feels proud of Ahed’s daring resistance, of her slapping the impudent faces of those soldiers who had invaded her home. Without exception, I wager, they want Ahed to slap the shit out of the heads of those soldiers, for that is exactly what their state has instilled in their craniums and we need to do them the favor of helping them expel it out. Likewise, I know of no Palestinian who is not proud of the BDS movement or does not stand behind its call for justice on their behalf even if some have to hide the sentiment.
  3. We all are with you, Ahed, in your insistence on all three components of the just demands of the BDS. True, ending the occupation, the immediate settler colonialist incursion on your home village of Nabi Saleh and of the occupied West Bank, is only one of those demands of the BDS. Yet, your slapping of those soldiers speaks for all of us: They had slapped us in 1948 and in 1967 and innumerable times since. By slapping their faces, you are telling those aggressors to permit the return of the exiled Palestinian Refugees and to end the apartheid their state forces on us, the Palestinian citizens of Israel, under its racist exclusivist dogma of ‘the Jewish State.’
  4. Ahed Tamimi’s mode of peaceful resistance is based 100% in international law. And so are the tactics and worldwide appeals of the BDS movement. The sophisticated worldwide media campaigns of both movements are fully within the frame of natural law and international sphere of action that brought down Nazism, Fascism and Apartheid.

It should be obvious by now that the combining of the above two international campaigns is natural. It is one of those win-win situations where one plus one is more than two. In fact, here we have a case of one plus one potentially yielding over seven billion conscientious nods of approval and support. Go ahead, BDSers, and adopt Ahed Tamimi as your poster child.

About Hatim Kanaaneh

Dr. Hatim Kanaaneh is a Palestinian doctor who has worked for over 35 years to bring medical care to Palestinians in Galilee, against a culture of anti-Arab discrimination. He is the author of the book A Doctor in Galilee: The Life and Struggle of a Palestinian in Israel. His collection of short stories entitled Chief Complaint was released by Just World Books in the spring of 2015.

1. John O
    December 31, 2017, 2:19 pm

Thank you, Hatim.

One part of your article that really struck a chord with me was the paragraph about “mortarless retaining walls”, or drystone walls, as we call them in the UK. Anyone who loves the British landscape – especially the north of England – loves these most beautiful and homely of the marks of mankind upon the land. When they are destroyed occasionally by floodwaters it’s a national tragedy; when they are destroyed by rapacious landowners (happily a rare occurrence) it’s a national outrage.

• RoHa
      December 31, 2017, 5:08 pm

I am a dry stone waller.
      All day I dry stone wall.
      Of all appalling callings.
      Dry stone walling’s worst of all.

– Pam Ayres

• John O
        December 31, 2017, 6:48 pm

Pam is fab. Her gorgeous Oxfordshire-Buckinghamshire accent should be preserved as a national treasure.

January 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

” Her gorgeous Oxfordshire-Buckinghamshire accent should be preserved as a national treasure.”

To set a good example to people whose English is painful to your ears?

• John O
        January 1, 2018, 2:57 pm

@Mooser

One of the glories of the English language is its regional accents (where other languages tend to have dialects).

Who could not be smitten by English as she is spoke by folk from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Barbados, New Zealand, Appalachia, New York, Toronto, Mumbai, Johannesburg, and places too numerous to mention?

• MHughes976
        January 1, 2018, 4:43 pm

Pam Ayers really has a Berkshire accent. The Vale of White Horse, from which she comes, was traditionally in Berkshire. As to rapacious people the verse of Deuteronomy ‘Cursed be he who removeth a neighbour’s landmark’ should be remembered.

January 1, 2018, 5:42 pm

“One of the glories of the English language is its regional accents”

True. There even are some places where English completely disappears! In America, we haven’t used it for years.

• RoHa
        January 1, 2018, 6:43 pm

And she’s fun!

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 1, 2018, 7:31 pm

“One of the glories of the English language is its regional accents”

And how could I not interfere into this discussion..

My absolute favourite accent is the Irish, can’t really explain why, but speak English with Irish accent and I can listen to you forever. The Scottish then, is the most difficult one: For a Scottish movie I need subtitles or I am gonna miss atleast half of it..

But one question: Is there a difference between the English spoken in Canada versus the English spoken in U.S. (I don’t mean the South of U.S., but like Califorina/Northern U.S.)?? I can’t really hear a difference..

And RoHa, I must add that in my ears, the Australian accent is the funniest.. It usually always makes me laugh, when I hear someone speak it :) (It sounds so “round”..)

• Annie Robbins
        January 1, 2018, 11:52 pm

kaisa, i can’t tell the difference and i’m from northern california. (locals don’t have an accents here/s)

• gamal
        January 1, 2018, 9:25 pm

“My absolute favourite accent is the Irish”

the peerless Niall Toibin does a few, raconteur style, but he is speaking to Irish people, I will be impressed if you get it all.

• oldgeezer
        January 2, 2018, 7:46 am

@Kaisa

There are many English accents in Canada alone. And I’ve encountered many in the US as well. I don’t thinks it’s so much as a difference between the US and Canada as a difference between different regions. I’m not good at this but many people in my circle of people can tell which part of the province a person comes from just by their accent.

• John O
        January 2, 2018, 7:50 am

@Kaisa and @Annie

There is a slight difference between Canadian and the standard (i.e. not markedly regional) US accents. It’s most noticeable in phrases like “out and about” which Canadians tend to pronounce as “oat and a boat”. The BBC’s foreign correspondent, Lyse Doucet, of French Canadian origin, has a distinctive and very attractive accent.

I once had a work colleague from New Zealand, who got very aerated if people mistook her for Australian, although, again, unless you know what to listen out for, the accents can sound very much the same.

January 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

“My absolute favourite accent…”

This verbal class distinction by now should be antique. An English-speaker’s way of speaking absolutely classifies him. The moment he speaks he makes another English-speaker despise him.

One common language I’m afraid we’ll never get.

January 2, 2018, 12:44 pm

“I once had a work colleague from New Zealand, who got very aerated if people mistook her for Australian”

Some people will get the vapors over something like that. Just let it pass.

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Moose:

“One common language I’m afraid we’ll never get..”

As a language lover, I would find it both sad and horrible, if the whole world only spoke English and everyone with same accent – like machines. Every now and then we have some geniuses here in Finland suggesting that Finns should start speaking English, because Finnish is such an unneccessary language.. For a person who has all her life been “diving” into the different worlds of different languages, such an idea sounds horrific!!

Every language has its regional dialects and many regions have their own languages, so the huge variety of the ways to speak must be something which belongs to the humanity.

As a non-native English speaker I can’t hear all of the regional nuances, but it is fun to try to locate the accent where people are coming from. (And this can easily be done in Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Arabic and surely in every language on the earth!)

(And Gamal: I think I was able to understand most of the spoken words, but not all of the jokes.. Stand-up comedy is a difficult “field”: Understanding the language is not enough, most of the times you need to be “inside the context” to be able to get the jokes too :) )

January 2, 2018, 3:12 pm

“I was only talking about the way the language sounds, not judging people who speak it.”

“Kaisa”, if you spoke as I do, instead of the way you do, why, you might be selling flowers, too!

Happy New Year!

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 4:02 pm

Moose:

• amigo
        January 2, 2018, 4:22 pm

Kaisa , You might find this interesting.Read the first 4 paras and continue if you so desire .It,s about a ten minute read.

Duh , It,s in English.

• amigo
        January 2, 2018, 4:33 pm

“If there is some kind of a “hierarchy” between the different dialects or accents in English, I do not hear them. For me in that way they are all equal.”Kaisa.

Don,t be so bourgeois.

• gamal
        January 2, 2018, 4:39 pm

“he makes another English-speaker despise him”

England is intensely regional and class ridden, hence I am not really British but like Shadia Mansour am a South Londoner, Wandsworth to be precise, beyond Hertfordshire it is all pretty foreign to me

Despite the fact that Smiley Culture provided the crucial Cockney Translation the Police still murdered him, claiming he stabbed himself through the heart during a raid…on 15th March 2011,
        England is no Disney White Land, no country for an old black and Muslim man, despite the fact that i can speak in perfect unaccented BBC English if I am sober, three drinks in and the fucking working class accent takes hold by the time I am fully drunk I can only speak or understand patois its a London thing perfectly normal, below Smileys silly little pop song cockney translation and a report of his murder by Police,

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

Amigo:

Thanks for the link. Is the real Irish not spoken anymore at all?? I remember my Irish friend speaking about it, but it is so long time ago, can’t remember exactly what he said.. I remember him teaching me some sentences too, but they are all gone from my memory.

What comes to your sentence: “Don,t be so bourgeois..”

I am not sure what you mean. I have been told that in British English you can hear differences between how “different social classes” speak, but in Finnish we do not have that and since I have never lived in Britain, I do not hear it. So for me, I only listen to the way the spoken language sounds in my ears, not in social hierarchies..

• Maghlawatan
        January 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Kaisa

Lots of people speak Irish

I do some reporting on the Israeli clusterfuck for these people

They have the most amazing music library. Tunes going back hundreds of years.

What is interesting about language is the cultural logic that goes with it. I can say stuff about injustice in Irish that wouldn’t have the same impact in English because the cultural background is different.

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 5:22 pm

P.s. Amigo:

The independent Finland has never really been a class society and prior to that, the “upper class” aka the educated people spoke Swedish, since to be able to study in a University or to work in the administration, you had to first learn Swedish. So for the centuries Finnish was “the second class language” in Finland and that is why there are still some people, who do not see it as worth of anything.

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 6:56 pm

And back to the I/P:

Haarez Jan 02, 2018 11:22 PM

“U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Tuesday that Trump administration wants to stop funding the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, the agency tasked with assisting Palestinian refugees, until they “return to the negotiating table” with Israel.”

“It was not immediately clear from Haley’s comments if she was referring only to UNRWA’s funding, or to general U.S. funding related to the Palestinian Authority, but either way, her statement will be perceived as a threat and an attempt to coerce the Palestinians into peace talks under the guidance of the Trump administration.”

“Haley added that “I stood proudly, even if I was the only hand in the Security Council, to fight for the will of the people of the United States. They wanted to see the embassy moved to Jerusalem and we followed through with that. We very much still want to have a peace process, nothing changes with that. The Palestinians now have to show the world they want to come to the table. As of now, they’re not coming to the table, but they ask for aid. We’re not giving the aid, we’re going to make sure they come to the table and we want to move forward with the peace process.””

Yes: “We very much still want to have a peace process, nothing changes with that. The Palestinians now have to show the world they want to come to the table.”

That is if Nikki&co may dictate all the terms and the Palestinians will agree to them. No reasonability what-so-ever.

• Annie Robbins
        January 2, 2018, 7:54 pm

did you see this?

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 2, 2018, 9:51 pm

“did you see this?”

No I did not!!

“We have taken Jerusalem, the toughest part of the negotiation, off the table..”

YOU have?? Who is gonna come and tell that Trump, that he only is the president of the U.S., not a GOD!!!

• Annie Robbins
        January 2, 2018, 11:13 pm

seriously kaisa. “we” — the rulers of the world no doubt — have have taken jerusalem off the table! i know. it’s seriously mind boggling.

• Maghlawatan
        January 3, 2018, 1:59 am

Trump is playing a very dangerou’s game. The Palestinians are not going to surrender to Adelson.
        Israel treats them as sub-human. That isn’t sustainable

• Talkback
        January 3, 2018, 8:36 am

Trump: “We have taken Jerusalem, the toughest part of the negotiation, off the table, but Israel, for that, would have had to pay more. But with the Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace …”

ROFL. So a major issue which should have been negotiated through peace talks was taken off the table by the US,and Israel, but it is the Palestinians who are not longer willing to talk peace.

The usual Zionist perversion of reality.

• eljay
        January 3, 2018, 8:38 am

|| Annie Robbins: did you see this? ||

Trump: … We have taken Jerusalem, the toughest part of the negotiation, off the table …

If taking Jersualem “off the table” was supposed to facilitate negotiations, why stop there? Why not just take everything off the table and call it a done deal?

And I thought Trump was supposed to be some kind of savvy wheeler-dealer. Sad!

• Talkback
        January 3, 2018, 9:23 am

The US Israel/Palestine “peacy” policy during the Trump era: From fake “honest” brokering to blunt financial extortion. Next thing that Dumbo Trump is going to claim is that Russia has hijacked his twitter account.

The US seems to be on its best way to loose it’s “influence” which has been nothing else than bribe.

January 3, 2018, 12:31 pm

“And she’s fun!”

But you know how it is, “RoHa”; Use proper English and you’re regarded as a freak!

January 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

“Who is gonna come and tell that Trump, that he only is the president of the U.S., not a GOD!!!”

Well, right about now we’re hoping for a little legal iconoclasm from Bob Mueller.

• Kaisa of Finland
        January 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

“Use proper English and you’re regarded as a freak!”

Well, these guys are from Norway, so forget their accent:

• amigo
        January 3, 2018, 1:26 pm

“Well, right about now we’re hoping for a little legal iconoclasm from Bob Mueller” mooser.

It is not coming from Bob Mueller but Steve Bannon in a book by Michael Wolffe.

Check CNN , It is being reported that Bannon has stated that the meeting at the Trump Tower at which Trump Junior and Kushner and Ivanka were present was , “Treasonous “.

Very explosive.

• Annie Robbins
        January 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
        January 3, 2018, 1:43 pm

“Bannon has stated that the meeting…/…was , “Treasonous .”

NOW he tells us?

• Cazador
      January 1, 2018, 12:32 pm

We watch the British show «Grand Designs», with Kevin McCloud, here in Canada, and yes, the regional UK landscape, its impressive dark green, and stone construction of houses, fences, walls, etc. are exquisite. Of course your temperate weather might help maintaining those stone constructions stable and very durable, compared to our extreme cold weather, which mixed with occasional wet snow or even icy rain can and will contribute to early crumbling of such walls and constructions…

• John O
      January 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

@Kaisa “As a non-native English speaker I can’t hear all of the regional nuances, but it is fun to try to locate the accent where people are coming from. ”

You are so right. I speak a little Dutch, and it’s fun trying to work out whether people are from the Netherlands or Belgium.

2. Marnie
    December 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Ahed is one helluva role model, for all of us.

• Jack Green
      December 31, 2017, 11:38 pm

Marnie

to teach everyone to hurt your fellow human beings

January 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

“to teach everyone to hurt your fellow human beings”

ROTFLMSJAO! Say, “Jack” is that soldier she slapped out of ICU yet?
        What’s the chance of survival?

• Misterioso
        January 1, 2018, 1:08 pm

@Jack Green

Sigh.
        Crawl back under your rock. Once again, you’re only making a complete fool of yourself.

• amigo
        January 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

“to teach everyone to hurt your fellow human beings” jacko

Listen you halfbaked dimwit , this brave young woman who was defending herself against a so called most moral herculean giant, is worth any 1000 zionist slugs like you .

As someone already suggested , crawl back into your pit and perish in your own excretion.

• Marnie
        January 2, 2018, 12:09 am

Who don’t see her as even human. You’re a riot jack.

• Marnie
        January 2, 2018, 12:30 am

You call fighting for your rights as a person under occupation as hurting your fellow human beings, but slapping a young woman because she told your raggedy ass to get out of her home; this after one of your compadres shot her cousin in the face….., this after 70 years of this activity and worse, and you really believe your side has the moral high ground?

• Annie Robbins
        January 2, 2018, 2:43 am

this after one of your compadres shot her cousin in the face

and another killed her other cousin, mustafa, not long ago. it’s challenging keeping track of how many tamimis they’ve abducted, interrogated, tortured, incarcerated, maimed and killed.

• Talkback
        January 2, 2018, 8:17 am

Jack Green: “to teach everyone to hurt your fellow human beings”

Like teaching Jews to shot nonjewish children in the head?

• Misterioso
      January 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Just released video: Beautiful song in Arabic, a tribute to Ahed:

Also:
      https://www.haaretz.com/ opinion/1.832217

Haaretz , Dec 31, 2017

“American Jews: Ahed Tamimi Is Your Issue, Too”

“Do you only feel injustice at the Western Wall, and not at the walls where Palestinians are shot and arrested? If you’re proud to identify as Jewish and progressive, you can’t just be a spectator to Palestinian suffering.” By Marilyn Garson

And:

Sighting: A Lioness of Palestine
      By Nahida, Exiled Palestinian.

• Annie Robbins
        January 1, 2018, 11:46 am

omg this song for ahed is so beautiful.. i am listening now. what are the lyrics misterioso?

my bing translate says it is “you are the covenant” this is bringing tears to my eyes.

• Marnie
        January 2, 2018, 12:10 am

That was a good article by Marilyn Garson. No where for jews, or anyone else for that matter, to hide their culpability with their silence. No excuses.

• Misterioso
      January 1, 2018, 3:01 pm

“Joan of Arc in a West Bank Village”

“The Israeli army wants to punish Ahed Tamimi ‘so all should see and fear.’ Instead, Palestinian teenagers see the photos and think: I want to be like her.”
      By Uri Avnery. Jan 01, 2018 – Haaretz.

EXCERPTS:
      “She’s 16, from a family of peasants in an isolated village. The foreign occupation outraged her, and she set out to fight it. Her actions excited her oppressed people, whose spirits rose from the depths of despair to renewed hope. She was captured by her occupiers, who imprisoned and prosecuted her.

“You’re probably thinking I mean 16-year-old Ahed Tamimi, who slapped the face of an Israel Defense Forces officer. But actually, I’m referring to Joan of Arc, known as ‘the maid of Orléans.’”

“Which brings us to Ahed Tamimi of Nabi Saleh. Now the whole world knows her name. The whole world has seen her picture. And this is only the beginning. Tamimi is becoming the Palestinian Joan of Arc before our eyes. The internet is spreading throughout the world a photograph of her in a heroic pose, holding a flying Palestinian flag.”

“Soon Ahed was taken from her bed at night, as were her mother and sister. They were brought before a military judge who extended their detention. She is being held in humiliating conditions, was moved from lockup to lockup, and hasn’t been allowed to change clothes for a week. In the courtroom three soldiers were positioned in front of her father’s seat so that he wouldn’t be able to look at his daughter.

“The army’s behavior is clear. It wants to punish the girl ‘so all should see and fear.’ A teenage girl who slapped an Israel Defense Forces soldier must be punished so that tens of thousands of teenagers learn a lesson. In our country you can’t burn girls at the stake, as with the original Joan of Arc. We’re more humane, but no smarter. We can lock her up.
      This was indeed totally stupid. Thousands of Palestinian teenagers see the photos and their hearts swell with pride. Look how one of our own dared to confront the occupation. I want to be like her.

“Absolute ruling power makes you totally stupid. It can’t be helped.

“Ahed Tamimi was apparently chosen by a higher power for the role she is fulfilling. She’s strawberry blond, like most of the girls in her village, blue-eyed and brave. Abusing her in jail will only enhance her ability to impress others her age who are living under occupation.

“I’m sure that among both the civilians and officers managing the occupation of the Palestinian territories, there are a lot of intelligent people. But it can’t be helped. Occupation makes you stupid. In the end, this stupidity will bring us down.”

• Misterioso
      January 1, 2018, 3:43 pm

MEANWHILE, IN CANADA:

BREAKING NEWS: “ON Jan 1, Ahed Tamimi was charged with aggravated assault. She will appear in a military court where the conviction rate is 99%, according to the most recent US State Department report.”

“PCC [Palestinian Canadian Congress] to [Foreign Affairs] Minister Freeland: ‘Ahed Tamimi, a 16 year old Palestinian child in Israeli custody, could be in danger.’”

EXERPTS:

“Sixteen year old Ahed Tamimi appears in an Israeli military court in Occupied Palestinian Territory after Israeli soldiers forcibly entered her family’s house in the middle of the night on December 19th and arrested her. She remains in custody without charge. The Palestinian Canadian Congress has written an urgent letter to Minister Freeland expressing concerns for Ahed’s safety and asking the Minister to raise the issue with her Israeli counterparts.

“The Palestinian Canadian Congress has raised an alarm over the conditions of detention of Ahed Tamimi, a 16 year old Palestinian youth being held in an Israeli military jail. In a letter to Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister, the President of the PCC Aiman Shakra asks the minister to ‘urgently take up the issue of Ms. Tamimi’s arrest and incarceration with the Israeli government to ensure that Israel is respecting its obligations under the Geneva Convention’.

“There is good reason for concern. According to Defence for Children International, (DCI) approximately 500-700 Palestinian children and youth, some as young as 12 years, are detained and prosecuted in the Israeli military court system every year. The most common charge is stone throwing. DCI alleges that many are tortured, including being beaten, blindfolded, and put in solitary confinement for long periods.

“The treatment of Palestinian child prisoners by Israel is already the object of a human rights campaign in Canada called ‘No Way to Treat a Child’, backed by many Canadian organizations including Amnesty International Canada, the Mennonite Central Committee and the United Church of Canada.

“A slap heard round the world”
      “But the PCC has a particular reason to be concerned about what the Israeli military court system might do to the fiery young Ahed Tamimi. She, and all the members of her family, in the small West Bank town of Nebi Saleh, have for several years been waging a determined struggle to preserve the village water supply, which is being increasingly menaced by settlers from a nearby Israeli settlement.”

“The confiscation of a Palestinian village’s water supply by settlers protected by the IDF, does not appear to cause any significant concern in Israel, but the video of a 16 year old girl slapping an Israeli soldier immediately after her cousin was shot, provoked outrage. There were calls for her arrest. One Israeli journalist even hinted darkly that she should be dealt with ‘in the dark, without witnesses and cameras’, which many interpreted as a threat to rape her (or worse), though now the journalist denies that was his meaning. Another Israeli publication demanded punishment for having ‘beaten helpless Israeli soldiers’”.

” PCC calls for protection for Ahed”
      “In his letter , the PCC president calls on Minister Freeland to raise with her Israeli counterpart the issue of the arrest and conditions of incarceration of a 16 year old Palestinian girl. He notes that the incident and the arrest took place in territory that Canada recognizes as Occupied Palestinian Territory.

“In addition to writing to Minister Freeland, the Palestinian Canadian Congress urges its members and other concerned individuals to do the same.

“‘We invite the Palestinian Canadians and our friends to join us in requesting that Canada should live up to its obligations in protecting Ahed Tamimi and to ensure Israel is respecting its obligations under the Geneva Convention.

“’We encourage everyone to write to Hon. Chrystia Freeland and their Member of Parliament and share our letter.’” PCC President Aiman Abu Shakra.”

• Boris
      January 2, 2018, 10:25 am

If you are so “inspired” – go ahed and hit a policeman. Then we will see what happens…

Oh, yes, make sure it is recorded…

January 2, 2018, 3:22 pm

Gosh, the many jobs IDF soldiers must do. They are at war. They are patrolling and administering Occupied Territory, and sometimes they do community policing, too.

• Talkback
        January 3, 2018, 9:06 am

A police man’s presence is legal and there to protect the people of the country. The presence of your Apartheid Junta’s thugs is terrorism and they are only there to protect its illegal colonialization of land. It’s a moral right to slap them every day.

3. Citizen
    December 31, 2017, 2:31 pm

Amen.

• Hatim Kanaaneh
      January 1, 2018, 4:37 pm

A beautiful song indeed, Annie. Early this morning I had my first sobbing cry of the year. Here is my ‘liberal translation’ even though I realize it is short on the emotive and delicate resonance that reverberates so well with the opening flute part and the beautiful singer’s voice:

انت العهد وانت المجد
      شامخة كزيتون الأرض
      منذ المهد وحتى اللحد
      لا، لا، لن يدنس عرض
      You are our Promise and pride,
      Upright like native olives
      From the crib to the grave
      No sullying of our honor

يا وطنا مزروعا فينا
      مرساة لكل سفينه
      نحن الجزر
      وانت المد
      Like the homeland rooted in us
      You are the anchor to all ships
      You are the tide
      To our ebb.

يا شقراء الشعر المكسي
      طاهرة كطهارة قدسي
      علمت اجيالا منا
      كيف يثور الشعب المنسي
      O blond-haired daughter
      Pure as Jerusalem
      You’ve taught our generations
      How forgotten peoples rise

عيناك الزرقاء مناره
      وطن يحضن كل حضاره
      وحدت القاصي والداني
      اشعلت في القلب شراره
      The lighthouse of your blue eyes
      An embracing homeland to all civilizations
      Uniting close and far
      Lighting a spark in our hearts

وجبينك عال في القمه
      يشحذ فينا كل الهمه
      اشعلت نورا في العتمه
      Your forehead glows high
      Infusing us with endless energy
      You have let a candle in our darkness

ويداك رغم نعومتها
      هز العالم لبطولتها
      ردت للقاسي صفعته
      عادت للامة هيبتها
      In owe of your heroic tender hands,
      The world shook.
      They returned the slap to the monster
      And the whole nation regained its honor

• Annie Robbins
        January 1, 2018, 6:16 pm

oh hatim, thank you. just .. tears.

• Maghlawatan
        January 1, 2018, 10:14 pm

Hatim

. Your post reminds me of phrases of encouragement/resistance in 2 languages.

Irish : “Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí ”
        Guide the young and they will deliver

German : Wo Helden nicht vergessen werden kommen immer neue.

Where heroes are not forgotten new heroes emerge.

Popular inspiration in conditions of permanent aggression and nonsense is hard to control but the jinns are always at work in the background .

• just
        January 2, 2018, 6:39 pm

It’s absolutely beautiful! I have listened so many times now, and I keep crying too. Ahed and the Taminis are magnificent and soulful Palestinians of Palestine, and the beautiful woman and her voice is mesmerizing.

Thank you, Hatim, for your soulful article and for the translation. May this New Year be better for all~ especially for those that suffer so much at the hands of the Israelis, the Americans, the Saudis, and all of their complicit and cowardly ‘allies’.

• Misterioso
      January 1, 2018, 7:11 pm

“Guerrilla Ad Campaign in London Calls for Release of Soldier-slapping Palestinian Girl Ahed Tamimi” By Daniella Peled, Jan. 1/18

“Bus shelter posters show 16-year-old activist confronting Israel soldier, in incident that led to her arrest on December 19 and subsequent indictment for assault.”

4. gamal
    December 31, 2017, 3:16 pm

Thank you Dr….I am so ignorant her name always make me think Huda, thank you.

“Those are the ones whom God has guided, from their guidance take an example. Say, “I ask of you for this message no payment. It is nothing but a reminder for the worlds.” 6:90

guidance, Ahed like a star in a dark sky that even a fool like me can steer by.

5. guyn
    December 31, 2017, 5:10 pm

Great text, thank you. A’ahd, the Joan of Arc of Palestine.

Unfortunately, she will be targeted even more.

6. gamal
    January 1, 2018, 9:11 am

A note to Donna Wallach from Issa Ambro (h/t mary at tln to whose comment and links i link below)

HEBRON FREEDOM FUND
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE

YOUTH AGAINST SETTLEMENTS

A note from Issa:

Dear Donna

Last week my trial continued in Israeli military court. A solider testified against me that in 2013 I supposedly told him he was stupid. For this, and for 17 other charges – such things as being in closed military zones, organizing protests and inciting to nonviolence – I will likely serve a number of years in prison.

There is no change without sacrifice. I am not afraid of going to prison and I am not the only Palestinian activist being targeted right now. Over the past couple weeks, many of my friends have been arrested: Munther Amira from Bethlehem, Yousef Sharqawi from Hebron, Manal Tamimi from Nabi Saleh Nariman Tamimi from Nabi Saleh, Nour Tamimi from Nabi Saleh, sixteen-year-old Ahed Tamimi from Nabi Saleh and more.

Even as we are being targeted, with your support, all of us on the ground are stronger.

Youth Against Settlements is getting ready for our annual campaign to take place in February 2018. We are also being supported by a new organization, Hebron Freedom Fund, http://www.hebronfreedomfund.org/? started by Issa, Ariel Gold and others, to advocate in the US and provide advocacy and assistance to families on the ground in Hebron.

Can you make a donation to support our work for Palestinian rights in 2018?

We hope everyone will join us for the 9th annual Open Shuhada Street campaign around the world. We have photos, flyers, booklets, personal stories and other supplies for you to use. We can even send an activist from Hebron to speak at your event. We encourage you to protest in front of Israeli consulates and embassies and the institutions and organizations that fund the settlers in Hebron. Sign up now to be part of the campaign or to come to Hebron to participate in the actions that will take place on the ground.

There is a poster “Women and Girls Lead the Resistance in Palestine” that I would post if i knew how.

7. Cazador
    January 1, 2018, 11:27 am

Excellent article, Dr. Hatim Kanaaneh!

The historical facts are quite interesting, and particularly funny in one case:

Thank you very much, merci beaucoup, for your revealing contribution!

January 1, 2018, 2:15 pm

“The historical facts are quite interesting, and particularly funny in one case:”

Get ready for lots more slapstick and low comedy.

• eljay
        January 1, 2018, 2:44 pm

|| Mooser: … Get ready for lots more slapstick and low comedy. ||

Past and present collided last week when an extremely rare seal impression discovered in Jerusalem’s Western Wall plaza and bearing the inscription “Belonging to the governor of the city” was presented to Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat. … At the presentation, Barkat said, “It is very overwhelming to receive greetings from First Temple-period Jerusalem. This shows that already 2,700 years ago, Jerusalem, the capital of Israel, was a strong and central city.” …

Stop touching yourself, Mr. Barkat. Israel didn’t exist 2,700 years ago. And the seal does not validate Jewish supremacism, the existence of a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” or the past and on-going (war) crimes deliberately and unapologetically committed by Jewish supremacists, none of whom are ancient Israelites.

• Annie Robbins
        January 1, 2018, 2:59 pm

now that makes total sense. and later in the article:

“the minute we took away the Early Islamic eighth-century plaster installations ..… immediately, in 20 centimeters — ‘one basket of dirt’ archaeologically speaking — we went from the eighth-century A.D. to the eighth century B.C.”

16 centuries — gone — in one basket of dirt. shocking.

• Boris
      January 2, 2018, 10:23 am

“… we were already here.”

They had also invented the paleo diet…

• LHunter
        January 3, 2018, 1:49 am

Boris

Then get out of Palestine – the Palisaurs where there first and take your Israeli hummous with you – no ones buying your ziocrap.

Soon Zionism will be a dinosaur and the words and actions of you and your Zionist flunkies will haunt your families for generations – just ask the Germans.

• Mayhem
        January 3, 2018, 8:17 am

The Palestaeontologists have concocted revisionist history as an antidote to Zionism.

• Talkback
        January 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Boris: “Every progressive knows that Paleostinians where the original dinosaurs, and were created by Allah before humans.

They had also invented the paleo diet…”

Can’t be true, because no Jew wrote it down and claimed it was written by god.

• Boris
      January 2, 2018, 11:09 am

Hey, mod, what happened to my comment about dinosaurs?

• John O
        January 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Why do you ask? It’s still there. Was it edited to make it somehow less racist?

• Boris
        January 2, 2018, 1:04 pm

Well, Johnnie, as you can see I had posted two comments – one at 10:23 am and another at 10:25 am.

Checked at around 11:09 am – the 10:25 comment was there, but not the 10:23 one. And, just for the site’s Looser, the “awaiting moderation” text was not their either, so I did indeed push that button.

That’s why asked what happened to it. One thing is clear – they play with “moderation”. Otherwise, why would they “approve” the later comment and then “find” the earlier one?

And why do you thing it is racist? Are your biased against dinosaurs?

• John O
        January 2, 2018, 3:41 pm

@Boris

The problem is that you don’t understand how the internet works. I’m posting from the UK, so I know that when I react to posts, I have to look at the time-stamps that appear next to Mondoweiss posts and adjust them to local time, if it’s an issue (which it rarely is).

Mondoweiss posts are also moderated, so I am neither surprised nor offended by the fact that other folks’ comments sometimes get through the system faster than mine.

January 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

“Mondoweiss posts are also moderated,”

And if I understand it aright, by real people, on their own time, which adds, understandably, some variability.
        It was noted last week, however,that many people learned to drink in moderation.

8. Ossinev
    January 1, 2018, 1:32 pm

It appears that Ahed has now been charged with assault:

It could be worse – the ZioReich could also have charged her with the equally serious offence of being in a built up area in their Biblical Disneyland between the hours of midnight and midnight.

What a sad pathetic bunch of deluded clowns the vast majority of Jewish Israelis have become. The remnant of sane and truly moral Israeli Jews surely must be making plans to get the hell out of this horror show at the earliest opportunity.

9. Maghlawatan
    January 1, 2018, 1:38 pm

“Then comes a group of foreigners with their bulldozers and scuttles the whole centuries-old minutely-balanced hillside, does away with the accumulated labor of love of generations, dig trenches and deep wounds in the hillside face of our productive land and take over our water spring. They pull out our ancestral olives that our parents and their parents before them toiled all their lives to sustain and be sustained by them.   ”

“In Palestine the violence has targeted the entire landscape. A trail of devastation stretches as far as the eye can see: a jumble of demolished buildings, levelled hillsides and flattened forests. This barrage of concentrated damage has been wrought not only by the bombs and tanks of traditional warfare, but by industrious, vigorous destruction that has toppled properties like a violent tax assessor.

A concrete-and-asphalt ugliness now mars some of the most beautiful views in the world. Hillsides have been carved up for bypass roads to Israeli settlements. On either side of the road Palestinian homes have been destroyed, olive trees uprooted and orange orchards razed, on behalf of enhanced visibility. All that remains is a no-man’s land topped by watchtowers. In the hostilities, the omnipresent bulldozers have as much strategic importance as the tanks. Never before has such an innocuous piece of equipment augured such violence and brutality.

Unplanned development is not at issue, nor are the concrete jungles of Israel’s Mediterranean coastline nor the forces of heartless capitalism. No, I am reminded of the efforts of the former Soviet Union’s Gosplan, as if this destruction was being overseen by a state planning committee and the wilful hand of Israel was striving to erase the past. The twin mind-sets of construction and destruction have long coexisted here. In the 1950s thousands of pine trees, not olives, not oranges, were planted to wipe out traces of destroyed Palestinian villages; agricultural development was then hailed as a hallmark of civilisation. But today, in thrall to the forces of destruction, the gardener’s hand has turned against the land, slashing and plundering, uprooting, displacing and depopulating. All geographical settings contain intelligible signs and landmarks that bear witness to the narrative of history; but the painful realisation on entering Palestine is how profoundly the topography has been altered: the landmarks have been erased, producing disorientation.”

10. John O
    January 1, 2018, 1:49 pm

The BBC is reporting that Ahed has been charged with assault. It’s very much “he said-she said” in tone but the video segment does show that the first slap to the head (as opposed to the jostling by the girls) comes from heavily-armed trespasser on the Tamimis’ property.

11. Maghlawatan
    January 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

Ms T was served with 5 charges. Her mother got 2
    Defying Jewish hegemony is serious.

12. Marnie
    January 2, 2018, 12:40 am

Israel indicts Palestinian teen activist Ahed Tamimi | News | Al Jazeera

“They built the case around her specifically to try to keep her in prison as long as they can,” he said.

“I am very worried about my daughter,” added Bassem, who has also been arrested numerous times by Israeli forces.

“Her fate is now in the hands of people who don’t even see Palestinians as full human beings.”

Laski told Al Jazeera that owing to the charges against Ahed, “there’s a possibility of her facing a lot of time”.

She noted that Palestinian teenagers typically face about six to nine months in prison for charges of stone-throwing.”

And israelis, settler or soldier, face no recrimination for murder. Yeah, they have the moral high ground, right zionazis? These atrocities by the zionist state have got to be stopped by outside forces; they aren’t about to do anything right at all. Who are the animals, the beasts, the non-humans now?

13. Mayhem
    January 3, 2018, 8:25 am

The propaganda machine is happily churning out that the fake news that she is a tender girl of 16, tugging at the heart strings of the very impressionable, when she is in fact 18 years of age and old enough for Israel to imprison with impunity.
    “Shirley Temper” Ahed Tamimi’s Real Age Revisited

• eljay
      January 3, 2018, 8:54 am

|| Mayhem: The propaganda machine is happily churning out that the fake news that she is a tender girl of 16 … ||

Proud supporters of the rapist can hold their heads up even higher knowing that the age of the victim chained and brutalized in his basement has been misrepresented to the public.

• eljay
        January 3, 2018, 8:58 am

That “propaganda machine” has nothing on the Jewish supremacist (Zionist) propaganda machine that has been churning out deliberate lies for decades.

• echinococcus
      January 3, 2018, 10:16 am

One more lie from the Zionists.
      Her date of birth is March 30, 2001.

And where is the big difference, anyway?

Zionists are liars, thieves and murderers..

• echinococcus
      January 3, 2018, 10:36 am

Again, ‘Ahed Tamimi’s date of birth is March 30, 2001.
      Your own f*&^% Zionist toilet rag “Jewish Press” has it officially as January 31, 2001, direct from your own f*&^% Zionist occupation Kommandantur.

• echinococcus
        January 5, 2018, 2:15 am

Did anyone hear a peep from the, ehm, well-named honorable Zionist “Mayhem” yet?

14. Talkback
    January 4, 2018, 9:00 am

JSIL’s great ambitions in 2018. Kill another member of the Tamimi family:

Palestinian teen first to be killed by Israel in 2018

So much for the Apartheid Junta’s daily terrorism:
    “The occupation army has been raiding both Deir Nitham and Nabi Saleh day in and day out. They come in, irritate the residents, raid our homes at night and throw sound bombs in the street. This has been our reality every day,” said Firas.

We cannot just keep quiet and keep watching. No one is listening to us – no one feels the pain that we’re going through. The world is just silently watching.”

I think that Israel shouldn’t be singled out longer and therefore either invaded or put under embargo.

• Annie Robbins
      January 4, 2018, 10:00 am

talkback, from your link:

“Israeli army said Musab had “appeared to be holding a gun”, but that it was “not immediately confirmed that al-Tamimi had been armed at the time of the shooting”.

chance they executed him randomly having nothing to do with ahed? 0

• Talkback
        January 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

I thought the same. That can’t be a coincidence. They shot him in the neck. That was an execution. A message to Ahed that they can punish her and her family in many ways and without impunity.

What a criminal Zionist Apartheid Junta. Scumbags.

15. G. Seauton
    January 4, 2018, 8:42 pm

Honestly, is no one going to call Mooser out on his shameless plagiarism of My Fair Lady?

16. G. Seauton