Freezing and canoeing in Gaza

Gaza

Gaza Strip, Palestine December 13,2012 (photo: @MuathHumaid)

Well, I need to share with you some news about Gaza, my home. I haven’t heard from my family for 3 days, haven’t seen any of my siblings online anywhere, so I called (internationally since I could neither Skype or Viber). My mom said “habibti we are doing well Alhamdulliah. Don’t worry. We just didn’t have power for three days in a row, no internet, no water, nothing. It’s extremely cold and we are freezing. But we are better than others whose houses are drowning.” She then handed the phone to my dad. His voice sounded so desperate! He was repetitively saying “what could we do, dear!” Never “seen” him this depressed before!

I wanted to tell them about my good grade (got 97% on my final despite all the difficult circumstances I’ve been through) but my grade (and happiness) couldn’t be more irrelevant! When I was asked how I was doing, “I am good, mom. I have another paper to write during the break.” My parents sounded so worried “oh dear, so you won’t be having a break. Will you be alone on campus? You aren’t going to Chicago” I am like c’mon mom! Really? When did I start having this life of luxury that my parents’ biggest worry became me not having a break! When did they start feeling I no longer belong to the kind of life they live and that their suffering wasn’t mine! Why did I feel today I wasn’t one of them anymore! I felt I was completely alienated from home. From my family. From my people. I am so unhappy today. Everyone is suffering there and I am here in the US where everything is available! I couldn’t feel more guilty!

Gaza is drowning today. You will see people kayaking and canoeing not the type of fun activities the world knows. Houses are flooded by water. People are freezing there. No power. No water. No heat. No fuel. This is a catastrophe. A CATASTROPHE. I need to do something to help. I felt so helpless that I wanted to call 911, Red Cross or Amnesty International. Anyone! I want to tell the world that Gaza is living an unspeakable disaster and in a bad need for your help. I cannot be silent. You cannot be silent. Please we need to take action to stop this inhuman punishment of an entire population!

Here’s a short video to give you a sense of what’s going on there:

And before wishing you all a Merry Christmas please think of other peoples in the world who don’t have the life of luxury we do. We are so fortunate. So so fortunate!

Merry Christmas all,
Fidaa

"Entire families trapped in their homes submerged since yesterday, no food, no water, no electricity. #Gaza" December 13, 2013

“Entire families trapped in their homes submerged since yesterday, no food, no water, no electricity. #Gaza” December 13, 2013 (Photo: @MuathHumaid)

"The Manara district and street tunnel largely disappeared after the rain and floods inundated streets and houses in the area. "

“The Manara district and street tunnel largely disappeared after the rain and floods inundated streets and houses in the area. ” December 13, 2013 Gaza, Palestine (photo: @MuathHumaid)

Gaza Dec.13, 2013

Gaza Dec.13, 2013

Gaza

Gaza Strip, Palestine December 13, 2013 (Photo: @MuathHumaid)

Flooding in Gaza’s Jabaliya Refugee Camp:

Fidaa Abu Assi
About Fidaa Abuassi

Fidaa Abuassi is a Palestinian blogger from Gaza. She blogs at: www.fidaaabuassi.wordpress.com

1. just
    just
    December 13, 2013, 11:58 am

Words fail.

Fidaa– I truly don’t know what to say.

2. W.Jones
    W.Jones
    December 13, 2013, 12:27 pm

Not to sound stupid, but is there a river there? Did the river overflow? Did the ocean come in? It’s just alot of rain and it does not have a channel or valley to funnel it into the ocean? Gaza is flat and the water just sits around instead of going into the ocean?

annie
      December 13, 2013, 12:40 pm

w.jones, there is no fuel and the water/sewage plant cannot function, therefore the sewage has contaminated the water system. perhaps there is someone who can explain it better that i can. the electric plant is challenged too and needs fuel. it’s an environmental disaster. this is why experts say gaza will be uninhabitable by 2020.

W.Jones
        December 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

There were places in New Jersey that were flooded due to the hurricane, right by the beach. I am just confused how those natural phenomena happen and the water doesn’t just go back into the ocean naturally if the land is flat and right by the water.

_____Ocean_______——Very Flat Land——-^^^^Hilly Land^^^

Regarding Gaza being uninhabitable, I guess that the rightwing is OK with that, to help solve the “demographic” problem. As you can see from Shuki below for example, the strategy is to blame Hamas asking things like “If they can bring in rockets years ago, why can’t they bring in food now? It’s Khamas.”
        Or they show a photo of some people at a small market in Gaza, or a big, rather modern looking store complex and then say “Look, they’re well fed”.

That’s how they deal with arguments that Gaza it is in a bad condition. The State’s supporters don’t say “This is bad, let’s turn the situation around in Gaza”. Are JStreet and AIPAC launching a public campaign for humanitarian relief?

3 years ago JStreet did make a public statement:

J Street welcomes today’s Israeli cabinet decision to “liberalize the system by which civilian goods enter Gaza.” We have believed that the closure as implemented was not serving Israel’s best interests… We are pleased that the government of Israel now shares our view.

Woody Tanaka
        December 13, 2013, 1:52 pm

“I am just confused how those natural phenomena happen and the water doesn’t just go back into the ocean naturally if the land is flat and right by the water.”

Because “flat” is relative. You can still have a flat ground that will still have natural undulations, many of which will, when flooded, create relatively shallow basins. Often flood waters rise high enough to overtop the highest of the undulations and flood out a parcel of land, without there being any natural flow back to the ocean, river, etc. (In New Jersey, most beach communities have dunes on the beach, so once they’re breached, the water on the land side can get quite high, because the dunes prevent the flow back to the ocean.)

It may also be the case that the natural or artifical flow (in areas where drainage is by pumps) is simply overwhelmed and that water, itself, is holding in the floodwaters until they are able to drain.

W.Jones
        December 13, 2013, 2:34 pm

Good point. Natural undulations + More water than can drain out at once.

:D

W.Jones
        December 14, 2013, 11:34 am

Looks from Annie’s post below that the inundations weren’t all natural. :(

talknic
      December 13, 2013, 1:08 pm

@ W.Jones Lack of infrastructure due to the ongoing occupation perhaps. Storm water drains are expensive.

3. Shuki
    Shuki
    December 13, 2013, 12:36 pm

Fidaa

Isn’t it amazing that your elected government has the means to smuggle in thousands of rockets and other weapons but no supplies for the public’s health or welfare? Did it ever occur to you that they impose these conditions on you so your story and other similar propaganda can be disseminated? If that did occur to you, how severely would you be punished by your elected government for pointing that out in a news story?

annie
      December 13, 2013, 12:44 pm

actually they did have the means to smuggle in fuel thru the tunnels,which is how they largely have survived. 95% which have now been closed off between egypt. that’s when this crisis got much worse.

you have no idea what you are talking about.

Shuki
        December 13, 2013, 3:59 pm

You and I both know exactly what I am talking about.

annie
        December 13, 2013, 4:13 pm

the only ‘they’ here who is responsible for this brutal blockade on gaza is israel. as for fidaa she is a friend of mine. she sent this to me and some other friends this morning after talking to her parents. obviously she is feeling completely desperate. i had already been worrying about gaza this morning before i received her email, completely riveted by the photos and tweets i was seeing on twitter, and knowing how cold it is there right now and how there is no fuel and hardly any electricity. anyone following what’s happening in gaza knows this. this is a brutal winter but what does israel care! demolishing homes during one of the worst winter in years! http://news.yahoo.com/un-slams-israel-demolition-west-bank-properties-162525740.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

i drafted her email because she is a contributor here and i knew she’d forgive me as she was in class and i couldn’t reach her but she’s consistently authorized us to publish her writings in the past. when she got out of class she told me she wrote this on her cell phone. she was completely upset..obviously! and probably on her way to class and not expecting this to be published.

you can’t tell the difference between propaganda and real emotion. you are a callous person. you should be ashamed. i have no more to say to you.

Woody Tanaka
        December 13, 2013, 5:04 pm

“You and I both know exactly what I am talking about.”

Yes, you are talking with the typical callousness to humanity that is typical of you and your fellow zios.

annie
        December 13, 2013, 6:41 pm

Israel ‘opens dams’ flooding Gaza Strip near Deir al Balah

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Gaza Government’s Disaster Response Committee announced late Friday that Israeli authorities had opened up dams just east of the Gaza Strip, flooding numerous residential areas in nearby villages within the coastal territory.

Committee chairman Yasser Shanti said in a press conference that Israeli authorities had opened up dams just to the east of the border with the Gaza Strip earlier in the day.

He warned that residential areas within the Gaza Valley would be flooding within the coming hours.

He said that the move by Israeli authorities would flood areas in Moghraqa and other parts of Deir el-Balah in central Gaza, and he called upon residents of areas near the Gaza Valley to evacuate their homes in preparation for the anticipated flooding.

The Gaza Strip is currently under a state of emergency due to severe weather conditions caused by a historic storm front moving south across the Levant.

Fuel shortages have caused daily life in the Gaza Strip to grind slowly to a halt since early November, as power plants and water pumps are forced to shut down, cutting off access to basic necessities for Gaza residents.

Lack of diesel fuel is a result of the tightening of a seven-year-long blockade imposed on the territory by Israel with Egyptian support.

the ignorance and cruelty of some people is simply stunning.

MRW
        December 16, 2013, 1:00 am

annie, i’m just getting to this thread. These fucks did that on purpose? They flooded Gaza on purpose? I asked about this on another thread (disparity of snow in Israel and flooding in Gaza) and got no response. (Don’t think I did. I don’t want follow-up comments by email, so have to remember where I comment.)

I’m sitting here with my mouth open.

Did the nazis ever flood the ghettos in the middle of winter? Or even summer for that matter?

ritzl
        December 13, 2013, 7:12 pm

@Annie

I guess you have to ask why Israel “opened the dams” and caused all this flooding. The answer, of course, is to prevent flooding in Israel.

BTW, these dams/berms are the same ones used to stop normal rainfall/fresh surface water from getting to Gaza and its depleted aquifer. The people of Gaza get f’d every which way.

Bumblebye
        December 13, 2013, 7:48 pm

Is there anything to verify the dams being opened, because Ma’an also has this much longer article, which doesn’t mention them at all (and has lots more pics):

Erasmus
        December 15, 2013, 1:32 am

US NAVY breaks the BLOCKADE of GAZA – for humanity sake – and provides pumps, fuel, medicines, ……

Would’nt that be a headline??

Is it not awful, that we are used to soooo much of lies and propaganda that we suspect the same behind every news that comes our way, both from IDF spokespersons and Israeli media as well as – less so – from Palestinian sources when such news like the above concerning breaching dams reaches us??

Wrt the natural (and perhaps also additionally man-increased floods?) are concerned, the statement of the UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness who said “that large regions of the Gaza Strip are a “disaster area”, should be reliable enough.

I recall a natural calamity (few years back only) in Saakaswilli Georgia, when it had been on war terms with Russia, that the US Navy went there and provided emergency relief materials.

Why not for the suffering Gazans.? One should hardly assume that the Israeli Navy would prevent the US Navy from delivering relief goods to the Gazan shore……… or??

just
        December 13, 2013, 9:24 pm

It’s not enough that the Palestinians have to endure the daily sh*t from Israel, now they are inundated by the literal sh*t, courtesy of the Zionist state…….

All so that the usurpers of Jerusalem and the illegal settlers can enjoy the snowfall and pretend that they are actually the legal owners of the land………

Cruel frauds and thieves. What goes around….. comes around.

Ecru
        December 14, 2013, 4:34 am

@ Annie

the ignorance and cruelty of some people is simply stunning.

Cruel? Yes most definitely. Ignorant? Not so much – they know exactly what they’re doing and what the effects will be. As do Israel’s supporters.

yrn
        December 14, 2013, 6:56 am

“The Gaza government’s Disaster Response Committee announced late Friday that Israeli authorities had opened up dams just east of the Gaza Strip,”

Annie as a professional journalist, please investigate which dams are you referring to, as there are NO dams in this area.
        This Lie was spread a few years ago ……… and it was quite a joke

Abierno
        December 14, 2013, 1:47 pm

yrn – please review inormation on the National Water Carrier which delivers
        water to the northern Negev and parts of Arab Gaza: It is an interconnected network of pipes, aqueducts, tunnels, canals – and, yes, dams.

yrn
        December 15, 2013, 6:08 am

Abierno

“the National Water Carrier which delivers
        water to the northern Negev and parts of Arab Gaza:”

You are a typical ignorant.

Ask Hostgae he will tell you what an ignorant you are.

As there are NO dams in the area.

Abierno
        December 14, 2013, 3:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BKLH_5kM0 Link to youtube video of damage done in March 2012 when Israel opened same dams,flooding, areas of gaza, creating a situation wherein raw sewage was
        floating through the streets. Given no warning, people were scrambling
        to protect their household, but to little avail. This is “quite a joke?”

JeffB
        December 14, 2013, 10:50 pm

@Annie —

I don’t know where you live, but cities in NJ and PA do emergency dam openings during storms all the time. About 4 years ago there were dozens of them because of the quantity of rain. That’s not cruelty it is just physics. The alternative to Northern NJ doing a dam release and flooding us in the center a little is a dam bursting causing an uncontrolled release with water hitting much faster filled with rocks trash doing amazing damage. As bad as those pictures are an uncontrolled release would be far far worse.

A dam release is a kindness not a cruelty. The cruelty would be not to release. Of course the right way to do this is for the upstream communities and the downstream communities to carefully coordinate. But that requires trust and frequent communication where both parties are doing their best to take each other’s needs into account. “Normalization” in other words.

Abierno
        December 15, 2013, 12:52 pm

Not so fast. PA and NJ are above sea level. Jeff, do you not remember a
        major Louisiana city, New Orleans, which is below sea level as is Gaza, being
        flooded? Do you not remember the days and days of stagnant, polluted water going nowhere since water does not freely run uphill? Do you not remember that it took weeks for the US Army Corps of Engineers to finally dry out the ninth ward? Israel has stated that its hydrologists are the best
        in the world – on the strength of this statement, I would assume that they knew exactly what they were doing when they opened the dams. Also, they did it not once but again today opened the dams, which suggests that Israel
        will manage its snow melt floods by sluicing the water into Gaza. A misanthrope might think that “Operation Mowing the Grass” (Pillar of Fire)
        has been succeeded by “Operation Watering the Grass.” That misanthrope
        might think that Israel never misses a chance….

MRW
        December 16, 2013, 1:04 am

(1) Not during snowstorms.
        (2) Not in residential areas with inoperable storm drains

just
      December 13, 2013, 12:44 pm

‘shuki’- you are sick in whatever soul that you might have left.

talknic
      December 13, 2013, 12:51 pm

@Shuki “Isn’t it amazing that your elected government has the means to smuggle in thousands of rockets “

Smuggling in home made rockets? AMAZING!

” but no supplies for the public’s health or welfare? “

Supplies for the public’s health or welfare would stop the weather? AMAZING!!!!

“Did it ever occur to you that they impose these conditions on you so your story and other similar propaganda can be disseminated?”

They impose the weather? AMAZING!!

My you certainly have opened up my eyes…to your desperate need to belittle a people under occupation

talknic
      December 13, 2013, 1:04 pm

@Shuki Isn’t it amazing that your elected government has the means to have billions of dollars of missiles, warships, tanks, helicopter gunships, fighter bombers, even NUKES and can afford to support hundreds of thousands of illegal settlers in non-Israeli territory, but can’t keep Jerusalem open.

At least there’s a glimmer of compassion for the people in Gaza. Which is more than can be said of yourself

Shingo
      December 13, 2013, 11:11 pm

That’s a bit like saying that Israel uses Asklelon and Sderot for propaganda about rocket attacks.

After all, Israel seems willing to tolerate rockets landing on Asklelon and Sderot, but threatened to wipe out Gaza should any reach Tel Aviv.

4. Felice Gelman
    Felice Gelman
    December 13, 2013, 12:56 pm

This is a humanitarian disaster enormously compounded by Israel and Egypt’s coordinated siege and blockade. Among the supplies Gaza lacks needed to respond to severe weather and flooding: fuel for electricity and heating (Egypt has shut the tunnels that it was smuggled in through and the supply Israel permits to enter is woefully inadequate), pumps (Israel has blocked their importation for years), adequate housing (Israel has blocked construction materials since at least 2009, permitting only occasional imports by UNRWA for their own building, so people’s homes are built or repaired with rubble, mud, scrap).

Please bombard the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post with emails demanding they cover this situation

5. eljay
    eljay
    December 13, 2013, 1:02 pm

>> Isn’t it amazing that your elected government has the means to smuggle in …

The elected government shouldn’t have to smuggle in anything.

6. DICKERSON3870
    DICKERSON3870
    December 13, 2013, 3:41 pm

RE: My mom said “habibti we are doing well Alhamdulliah. Don’t worry. We just didn’t have power for three days in a row, no internet, no water, nothing. It’s extremely cold and we are freezing. But we are better than others whose houses are drowning.” She then handed the phone to my dad. His voice sounded so desperate! ~ Fidaa Abuassi

ONE WAY YOU CAN HELP:

Please make a tax-deductible donation payable to The Gaza Mental Health Foundation Inc.

Your gift will be sent to The Gaza Community Mental Health Program, which is providing vital mental health support to the traumatized families of the Gaza Strip.
    Your donation is tax-deductible to the extent provided by section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
    To donate, please print out brochure or send a check with your name, address, telephone number, and email address to:

Gaza Mental Health Foundation
    PO Box 380273
    Cambridge MA 02238

SOURCE: Gaza Mental Health Foundation – http://www.gazamentalhealth.org/

7. Hostage
    Hostage
    December 13, 2013, 10:57 pm

File this under the heading of “Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part”:

The Middle East is experiencing one of the worst winter storms to hit the region in years. Almost all of the mountain ranges from Syria to Sinai are covered in snow and the coastal areas are seeing very large amounts of rainfall. State and local authorities throughout the region are working to bring homeless people into shelters and rescue those caught in the storm.

Yet on Tuesday, just as the storm was approaching, the Israeli army’s Civil Administration in the West Bank destroyed tents and shacks belonging to Palestinian families in the northern part of the Jordan Valley, leaving some 40 people – including at least 18 children – homeless.

just
      December 13, 2013, 11:02 pm

Genocide.

Punishable? I think so.

Against the laws of man and ‘nature’? I think so.

Unexpected cruelty? Not at all. Filthy, dirty, and rotten to the core.

8. MahaneYehude1
    MahaneYehude1
    December 13, 2013, 11:46 pm

“Israel transfers water pumps to Gaza due to flooding”

“Coordinator of Government Activities in Territories authorizes transfer of water pumps to Gaza Strip due to heavy flooding. State sets up joint command center with Palestinian security in West Bank” (YNET)

just
      December 14, 2013, 12:11 am

Too little, too late. Offensive, in fact.

You broke it– your country did it with malice. Don’t try to tell us how “good” you and yours are now. Israel, as further evidenced today, has NO conscience nor humanity, except for the ‘exceptional’ and accepted.

Oh, and by the way, how does one run a water pump without some sort of fuel??????????????????????? Hand crank sump pumps worked with frozen fingers?

MahaneYehude1
        December 14, 2013, 12:51 am

@Just;

Did you read the article? You will find there the answer to your question.

annie
        December 14, 2013, 1:57 am

the answer to the question? and what about this:

Fuel shortages have plagued Gaza’s sole power plant in recent weeks, causing 12-hour blackouts and disrupting hospitals, sewage treatment facilities and businesses.

more than 12 hours! we’ve already covered this: http://mondoweiss.net/2013/11/turn-gaza-lights.html

The electricity crisis seems to be moving from bad to worse. Never better. Currently, we only get to see electricity for 6 hours a day. That means that power is off for 18 hours!

and it had been like this for a few weeks already when that was published on nov 20th! in fact, the person who wrote it is related to the person who wrote another post on nov 3rd, and i asked her at the time..do you know anyone in gaza who can write about the lack of fuel there?

so they wait til this and now send pumps? what about flooding gaza? what about :
        Israel ‘opens dams’ flooding Gaza Strip near Deir al Balah

there is a humantitarian crisis going on since the tunnels were closed. contrary to israeli hasbara those tunnels sustain life in gaza. yes, israel makes gazans transport life sustenance underground. this is the humiliating situation. it’s so disgusting what this blockade has done. and the pa, egypt, everyone, the ‘peace process’ john kerry, what a joke! catering to the zionist state. you should be ashamed.and now they send some pumps!

you should be ashamed!

MahaneYehude1
        December 14, 2013, 3:11 am

@Annie:

I am sorry, but when I should be ashamed, I have no problem to write it. Indeed, the situation in Gaza is very bad and it is worse since also Egypt closed the border. As always, the innocent civilians paid for the blindness of their leaders.

To the point: No one, even the meteorological experts, did not expect such heavy storm. Gaza is flooded but also many cities in Israel. I sure you read the news and know that several hundreds of thousands Israeli citizens are also without electricity and no much food since the beginning of the storm. Two Israelis died yesterday. The authorities and the IDF are doing a lot of efforts to help people. The IDF evacuated Palestinians in the WB stuck in the snow and transfer blankets, coats and food to Syrian villages near the Israeli border. They started to help Gaza by sending pumps and fuel and I sure they will continue to do it. This time I should not be ashamed but proud!!!

yrn
        December 14, 2013, 3:49 am

Annie Robbins the hypocrite.
        Were are their Muslim brothers to help them.
        Shhhhhhh not a word.

You are a Joke

Walid
        December 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

“Were are their Muslim brothers to help them.”

The fuel that Israel is now allowing into Gaza is paid for by Qatar and not by the PA..

just
        December 14, 2013, 6:55 am

fool.

Their ‘Muslim brothers’ are inside with them…….they are trapped and nothing can get in or out. You, Israel, made this misery. You are responsible. You are the sick Joke.

Enjoy the snow from your cozy perch.

Hostage
        December 14, 2013, 8:00 am

Were are their Muslim brothers to help them. . . . Shhhhhhh not a word.

You might try searching the archives for articles here about the Aid Flotillas.

The ICC has a criminal referral from Comoros because the IDF murdered 9 Muslim members of an aid flotilla in cold bold on the high seas and committed crimes against the rest of the passengers and crews.

You are a Joke

No you are a Zionist hypocrite and troll using the usual shopworn propaganda talking points and violating the comment policies here.

yrn
        December 15, 2013, 6:03 am

Hostage

You don’t have the minimal integrity to jump in and declare, there are no dams, as you as the once here are an hypocrite, as to spew Israel is your routine.

What Aid did the Muslim brother countries offer to the suffering people in Gaza ?
        Mekorot, that company in your boycott list came for the rescue, how come they accepted the aid.
        First the push the lie and then they cry for help from Israel.
        Typical Hamas hypocrisy.

yrn
        December 15, 2013, 6:07 am

Hostage

“using the usual shopworn propaganda talking”
        What propaganda do you refer to, Opening the dam.

Which dam are you referring to ????

What Arab country’s suggested aid ????

Where is the Propaganda here.

Hostage
        December 15, 2013, 3:20 pm

yrn: How come you did not jump in regarding the dam Israeli opened, you know everything, you are the biggest expert of the Israeli water systems and dams , which dam are they referring to ???

Because 1) I do sleep sometimes, 2) I just got your stupid comment, and 3) for some reason WordPress isn’t putting a reply link under your comments.

FYI, you really don’t need to be an expert to type in “dam near Deir al Balah” or “Dayr al-Balah” in Google Maps.

There are two of them shown as A & B on the map here:

Hostage
        December 15, 2013, 7:04 pm

So first they blame Israel and then they ask for help.
        And you drink those stories all the way.

So first you bitch that I haven’t jumped-in and said anything on the subject. Now you claim that I drank those stories all the way, even though I mentioned that the Israel official said the dam was overflowed and couldn’t have prevented the water from reaching Gaza anyway. You can’t really have it both ways you know.

I’m replying here because WordPress still isn’t putting reply links on your comments in the other part of the thread.

Obsidian
        December 16, 2013, 12:07 am

@Hostage

Check your facts. The ‘9 Muslim members of an aid flotilla’ were killed after they kidnapped 2 IDF commandos who had lawfully (Palmer Commission) interdicted that aid boat.

In most jurisdictions in the United States, lethal force can be used to prevent or end a kidnapping. Check your law books.

Hostage
        December 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

Check your facts. The ’9 Muslim members of an aid flotilla’ were killed after they kidnapped 2 IDF commandos who had lawfully (Palmer Commission) interdicted that aid boat.

The fact is that Comoros filed a criminal complaint with the ICC, just as I stated, for crimes committed in international waters by the IDF on-board a ship it had flagged.

The Palmer Commission admitted it had no legal standing to gather evidence, testimony, or make any legal determinations – and admitted as much in the text of its report:

The information for the Panel’s work came primarily through its interactions with the Points of Contact designated by Israel and Turkey. It had no mandate to summon individuals nor was it empowered to approach individuals or organizations directly.

We observe that the legal views of Israel and Turkey are no more authoritative or definitive than our own. A Commission of Inquiry is not a court any more than the Panel is. The findings of a Commission of Inquiry bind no one, unlike those of a court. So the legal issues at large in this matter have not been authoritatively determined by the two States involved and neither can they be by the Panel.

The last time I checked, the ICC is a Court with a mandate to investigate and authoritatively determine the legal issues involved.

The ICJ has ruled on many occasions that determinations made by UN organs and treaty bodies within their own areas of competence can be legally binding and that fact finding reports of officials on mission for those UN bodies can be accepted as evidence. The UN HRC “Report of the international fact-finding mission to investigate violations of international law, including international humanitarian and human rights law, resulting from the Israeli attacks on the flotilla of ships carrying humanitarian assistance” could directly approach individuals and organizations, take testimony, and gather its own evidence. It concluded the attack was both illegal and criminal. It was chaired by a former ICC Judge and did have a proper mandate.

just
        December 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

Wallow in your pride then. I, for one, think your ‘pride’ is grotesque, though hardly unusual nor unexpected.

I guess that your ‘pride’ keeps you warm at night.

yrn
        December 15, 2013, 6:17 pm

Hostage
        What you see on the map are not Mechanical DAM that can be opened up, those are Embankment made of Concrete – One is called the Trailers, the Embankment were built in the 50s, but has been compromised by floods.
        The other is about a meter high nade of cement in Tzelim, those are NO dam’s that you can open up.
        That’s not new, those bull stories has are around for quite a long time.

So first they blame Israel and then they ask for help.
        And you drink those stories all the way.

MahaneYehude1
        December 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

@Just:

I guess that your ‘pride’ keeps you warm at night.

Correct, the same as the Israeli fuel will warm people that received it.

just
        December 15, 2013, 11:41 pm

Mahane– what have you personally done to help? Anything? Enjoined some relief effort? Some shekels? Some remorse? A cooked potato?

Abierno
        December 16, 2013, 11:42 am

As Walid said – the fuel was funded by Quatar, not Israel. Israel merely
        allowed the fuel to enter Gaza. If it were up to Israel or the PA, there would continue to be no fuel in Gaza and the deaths from thermal exposure – especially the infirm, children and the elderly – would be very high. Again,
        acceptable to the PA and the US. Also, the US Secretary of State is in Israel,
        but has not shown even the most cursory interest in this catastrophe.

Hostage
        December 16, 2013, 2:49 pm

acceptable to the PA and the US.

The government in Gaza is a competing faction of the PA. The faction in the West Bank can’t even pay its own bills or salaries and couldn’t borrow against its own accounts even if it wanted to. Al Jazeera made it clear that Qatar gave Abbas $10 million so that he could order the fuel from Israel. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/12/storm-hit-gaza-gets-emergency-fuel-20131215135632430478.html

I noticed that, when Israeli hasbara claimed the PA was complicit in planning Cast Lead, that Abbas called their bluff and filed a criminal complaint with the Hague and accepted ICC jurisdiction for any crimes committed by any party in Palestine.

talknic
        December 16, 2013, 3:17 pm

MahaneYehude1 “..the same as the Israeli fuel will warm people that received it”

The fuel belongs to the party who PAYS FOR IT! http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.563655

Hostage
        December 14, 2013, 5:14 pm

Correct, the same as the Israeli fuel will warm people that received it.

That certainly doesn’t include the people in the Jordan valley whose homes the IDF was busy demolishing. See the comment at the head of the thread here: http://mondoweiss.net/2013/12/freezing-canoeing-gaza.html/comment-page-1#comment-620126

The JPost is running headlines which say that thousands of Israelis feel the government has abandoned them, while Netanyahu is bragging that he thinks the state saved lives. So obviously, he thinks the conditions the state of Israel created for those Palestinian families in the Jordan Valley were life threatening.

MahaneYehude1
        December 16, 2013, 12:53 am

@Just:

To your questions: I personally helped three old people in Jerusalem left without electricity, heat and food for more than three days during the snowstorm.

Abierno
        December 14, 2013, 9:44 pm

Methane there are several feet of water in central Gaza as far as the eye can see. This coupled with the fact that much of Gaza is below sea level dispersing this water will be very difficult. Further owing to Israel not allowing reconstruction of water/sewage systems much of the water is contaminated with sewage, creating a major public health hazard. Also there is virtually no potable water in Gaza. The un has called the situation a humanitarian disaster of exceptional magnitude. Furthermore, the world is aware that israel exacerbated the crisis by opening the dams allowing even more contaminated water to flow into the central Gaza basin. A few pumps and a few containers of fuel is like a bandaid on a shattered leg. Deprived of food, potable water and medicine, the worst is yet to come.
        If you really want to be proud of your country, urge your political leaders to allow international aide teams to temporarily restore the Gaza air and sea ports so as to bring in the necessary supplies, heavy equipment, water and construction equipment. These teams come from countries who are Israel’s allies and thus offer no threat to israel,s vaunted security.

Bumblebye
        December 14, 2013, 10:27 pm

“BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness said that large regions of the Gaza Strip are a “disaster area” and called on the world community to lift the Israeli blockade in order to allow recovery efforts to proceed, in a statement sent to Ma’an.

“Large swathes of northern Gaza are a disaster area with water as far as the eye can see. Areas around Jabalia have become a massive lake with two meter high waters engulfing homes and stranding thousands,” the statement read. ”

“Gunness also highlighted the need for an end to the blockade of the Gaza Strip in order to allow the region recover from the current crisis.

“When all this is over, the world community needs to bring effective pressure to end the blockade of Gaza,” he said.

“Any normal community would struggle to recover from this disaster. But a community that has been subjected to one of the longest blockades in human history, whose public health system has been destroyed and where the risk of disease was already rife, must be freed from these man made constraints to deal with the impact of a natural calamity such as this,” the statement continued.”

just
        December 16, 2013, 12:19 am

Reported out of Bethlehem. A beautiful place. How fitting/s.

Thank goodness for people like Chris Gunness. He tells the truth.

MahaneYehude1
        December 14, 2013, 11:37 pm

@Abierno:

First of all, I don’t know whether your statement about shortage of food, water and medicine is correct. As much as I know from the news, today there is no shortage of the three in Gaza strip. I will appreciate if Fidaa, for instance, will join the discussion here and confirm that there is shortage of food and medicine as you wrote. Since the “Marmara” event, Israel allows aid team to enter necessary supplies to Gaza, but not fuel, iron and construction equipment.

I, like you, don’t happy to see the flooded streets of Gaza and I sympathize with the residents of them. I think Israel should do all efforts to help Gaza. The problem is that in Gaza you never know where the supply goes. Israel is very careful not to enter supply like fuel and iron, which can be used by several militant groups to launch missiles on civilians on Israeli towns and villages. As a citizen of Jerusalem, I felt a year ago the abilities of those militant groups that, in spite of the blockade, had long range missiles in a quantity that allows them to fire until the last day of the war.

talknic
        December 16, 2013, 3:21 pm

MahaneYehude1 “I personally helped three old people in Jerusalem left without electricity, heat and food for more than three days during the snowstorm”

We’re supposed to believe someone who supports the illegal acquisition of non-Israeli territory, the illegal annexation of non-Israeli territory and the illegal settlement of non-Israeli territory?

Oh well if we must, what did you do? Blow hot air over them?

yrn
        December 15, 2013, 6:15 am

Just – would prefer that the Gaza people will continue to suffer and not accept Israel’s Help, as it can destroy the image of the Israeli Jews.

“Don’t try to tell us how “good” you and yours are now”

No one dose it to try to satisfy your stupid argument.

MRW
        December 16, 2013, 1:15 am

just,

An extraordinary understatement. This expresses what I’m feeling right now.

During the week of Mandela’s death. So fitting of Israelis, isn’t it.

9. annie
    annie
    December 14, 2013, 11:35 pm

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Flooding from heavy rains forced some 40,000 Gaza Strip residents from their homes, including thousands who were taken to safety in boats and military trucks, officials said Saturday.

more photos: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gaza&src=hash

MahaneYehude1
      December 14, 2013, 11:41 pm

@Annie:

Did you see what is going in Israel? It is a national disaster.

From your link:
      Israel has also restricted access to Gaza since the Hamas takeover, though it sent diesel fuel for heating and four water pumps during the weekend storm.

yrn
      December 15, 2013, 6:17 am

Annie

Why is the AP not blaming Israel for opening the dam ?

Hostage
        December 15, 2013, 4:50 pm

Annie

Why is the AP not blaming Israel for opening the dam ?

Despite your protests that there are no dams in the area mentioned, Google maps shows two there – and several others adjacent to the Gaza Strip.

An Israeli official told Haaretz that there is a one meter high cement dam with no controls in the area of Tze’elim, but didn’t mention any the others. He claimed that water had overflowed that one and that it couldn’t have kept the water from reaching Gaza anyway.

MRW
        December 16, 2013, 1:22 am

This was their first rainfall, the first time the one meter high cement dam had ever been tested?

10. Abierno
    Abierno
    December 15, 2013, 12:36 pm

Just to update. RT reports that Israel – again – opened up the floodgates of the
    dams a second time, even further flooding Gaza. It is obvious that the Israeli
    solution of choice for the snow melt floods will be to sluice the water into Gaza.
    Given this situation, it is absolutely imperative to get international teams on the ground in Gaza to manage the situation.

11. jon s
    jon s
    December 15, 2013, 3:27 pm

At least the “bigstory” link doesn’t repeat the nonsense about Israel deliberately causing the flooding in Gaza.
    See here:

and Amira Hass:

12. MahaneYehude1
    MahaneYehude1
    December 16, 2013, 3:55 pm

@talknic:

I am responding here to you since I can’t find the ‘reply” button under your both comments.

About the fuel paid by Qatar: OK, when I wrote my comment it was not published so sorry for that. Indeed, Qatar paid (some other sources say PA, but doesn’t matter) for the fuel.

Oh well if we must, what did you do? Blow hot air over them?

I don’t ask you to believe me and I don’t think I have a chance here in this site that someone would believe me sometime. No, I didn’t blow hot air on them and I don’t like your mocking language. I and several of my neighbors with cars, arranged some food, hot soup and kerosene for stoves. I brought them to three old people together with smile and hope. Seeing the hundreds of volunteers worked in the storm, I was filled with pride and hope.

…someone who supports the illegal acquisition of non-Israeli territory, the illegal annexation of non-Israeli territory and the illegal settlement of non-Israeli territory?

Someone who is a Zionist, loves Israel, ready to fight and defend it when necessary!!!