On ‘Death to Arabs’ in Jerusalem & Tel Aviv

Video of Jewish mob chanting ‘Death to Arabs!’ as they stop cars looking for Palestinian drivers in Jerusalem.

On Saturday July 19, I was invited to give a lecture to students at the Arab American University in Jenin, in the northern tip of the West Bank.  Jenin has a reputation in Israel of being a kind of Gaza away from Gaza.  Its gunfights with the Israeli military and periodic destruction also brings it closer to Gaza in the Israeli imagination.  ‘They don’t like Jenin,’ a friend, an ice-cream maker in the city, once told me.

These days Jenin is quiet.  It’s distinguished from other Palestinian cities by its pastoral calm.  The university, located 7km outside the city center, is surrounded by rolling hills and rich farm land.  Students come from not only the northern West Bank, but also from Nazareth and Haifa — Israel.  The Green Line is only observed by Jewish Israelis.  The topic of my lecture was about the complexities in individuals who continue living in a society that they reject, and I discussed this through the example of Israeli anti-Zionist activists, namely members of groups like Anarchists Against the Wall, Zochrot, and a handful of others who constitute a microscopic minority in Jewish Israeli society.   This topic is one I’ve presented several times at academic conferences in Europe and North America, but I was excited to be presenting to a Palestinian audience for the first time.  How does a critique of Zionism from the children of Zionism sound to the victims of Zionism?  I’ve had conversations about the topic with Palestinian friends before, of course.  It’s never easy.  Palestinians are mistrustful of Jewish Israelis, even those who declare support for them.  But in the classroom in Jenin, I was the boss.  The dialectic of speaking to students is quite different from having a conversation with friends.  They hang on your every word.  You are a messenger and you want the message to be true.

In researching this topic for the past two years, I’ve been living on and off in Israel/Palestine, mostly in Ramallah, the cosmopolitan center of Palestinian life and culture.  My research also regularly took me to Tel Aviv, where most of the anti-Zionist activists live, and to Palestinian villages in the West Bank, where they are most active.  Given this very personal acquaintance with the land and its inhabitants, people are often surprised to hear that I have very little knowledge of Jerusalem.  Something impalpable, mysterious kept me away from the holy city.  For me it was always a transit point, a necessary and unpleasant layover that I never cared to explore or understand.  This summer, however, I have been living in Jerusalem.  I was in Jerusalem when the three yeshiva students went missing near Hebron, when Mohammed Abu Khdeir was kidnapped and burned alive — maybe 3km from my house — and it’s Jerusalem from where I obsessively follow updates from Gaza as Operation Protective Edge wreaks utter havoc on over a million lives.

It has been under these conditions that I’ve finally been acquainting myself with Israel’s capital and the city most associated with the Israel/Palestine conflict.  Clashes between Palestinians and Israeli police have been occurring every night in Shuafat, Issawiya, and other Palestinian neighborhoods of East Jerusalem, to the blind eye of the media.  Palestinians wake up in the morning to find their cars and businesses vandalized.  News of hate crimes circulate word of mouth.  Most visibly, mobs of Jewish nationalists march through West Jerusalem streets chanting maavet la’aravim ‘death to Arabs.’  The mobs are usually composed of Mizrahi youth, themselves of Arab descent and at most two generations removed from Arabic language and culture, with haircuts modeled after their favorite soccer players.  Often there are religious nationalists with kippahs and the fringes of a tzitzit dangling from under their shirts.  Sometimes there are even a few beautiful young women scattered among the mostly male mobs.  I struggle to comprehend their hate.  As the mobs stroll through the streets, its total toleration from passersby and police deflate any hope I may have in the future of a harmonious Jewish/Arab coexistence.  The mobs may be a minority, but the toleration suggests that they represent a majority.

As the massacres in Gaza intensify, I see a change also in how people of the city perceive me, a dark-skinned Indian-American who is neither Jew nor Arab.  Less and less people sit next to me on the light rail connecting Arab East Jerusalem to Jewish West Jerusalem, even when it’s the only available seat.  The contempt is real.  I’m not welcome in the Jewish state.

As I spoke to students in Jenin, Operation Protective Edge was on its twelfth day.  The students listened attentively as I explained the inner turmoil of Jewish Israelis who demonstrate for Palestinians.  ‘But why don’t they leave?’ a student asks.  I don’t have an answer.  Another asks, ‘ What have they accomplished?’  I give them the example of Zochrot, a group that has successfully introduced the word Nakba into the Hebrew language in the past ten years, thus giving the Israeli national consciousness a tool with which to confront the ethnic cleansing of 750,000 Palestinians that made the foundation of Israel possible.  It’s not much, I tell the students, but it’s a start.

After finishing the lecture, I drove to Tel Aviv to participate in a demonstration organized by the Coalition of Women for Peace, an anti-Zionist feminist group, against the operation in Gaza.  I had been present at a similar demonstration the week prior, when a mob of Jewish nationalists disrupted the demonstration and attacked the crowd.  They threw chairs, sexually harassed women, spat on faces, and physically assaulted quite a few people.   When the bomb siren sounded and the sky was lit up by a Hamas rocket, and then an Israeli counter-rocket, and then an explosion, they chanted: maavet la’aravim.  The full moon hung low above us.  It was surrealism in motion.  The anti-Zionist left are courageous in many ways, but I am ashamed to say that they are not fighters.  They are filmmakers, artists, professors, and philosophers, among a host of other non-threatening occupations.  They cannot fight fascists.  A friend of mine, a former haredi Jew who left his ultra-conservative society and joined the radical left, was hit over the head with a chair and was taken to a hospital.  He was released without major injuries, but he was spotted in a café a few days later and assaulted again.  This time the injuries were more severe.  The emotional damage is likely even more severe still.  This is Jew-on-Jew violence.  When the mobs chant maavet la’aravim, it’s clear that Jews who stand for Palestinians become stand-ins for Palestinians.  For the fascists, these are Jews who have left the nation.  They are yordim ‘those who go down.’

After these demos end, I usually find myself in an unfamiliar street where we had been forced to retreat by police, fear, and chaos.  Walking back to a friend’s apartment, we take side-roads and alleys.  We walk in shadows and in groups.  My friend changes t-shirts, lest he be recognized.  Tel Aviv is becoming a frightening place to be.  The party is over in the great Mediterranean party city.

Because of these events I’ve been witnessing in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, I have been reading on fascism.  I want to clarify here that the word ‘fascism’ is often misused, but such a thing actually exists and its implication should taken seriously.  It has an ideology and a political program.  In my readings, I came across a curious little document called The Doctrine of Fascism, co-written by Mussolini in 1932.  I urge everyone to read it.  Its points line up with the views of Jewish nationalists exactly.  It is spiritual, anti-individualistic, and race-based.  With minor changes, it can easily be adopted as the manifesto of the Israeli right.  Fascism is here.

So when I think back on speaking to students in Jenin about Jewish Israelis who continue living in a society they reject, I am ashamed by the incompleteness of my lecture.  I didn’t speak of fascism.  I didn’t speak of maavet la’aravim, although no doubt they know.  I chose to give a message of hope, trusting that the idea of something beautiful is sometimes more important than the horrific truth.

Arpan Roy
About Arpan Roy

Arpan Roy is an anthropologist currently living in Nablus. His research is on activism and dual narratives in Israel/Palestine.

1. MRW
    MRW
    July 23, 2014, 3:28 pm

Choose truth next time, although this was a good start.

2. michelle
    michelle
    July 23, 2014, 3:55 pm

suggested reading;
    first ‘Sneetches’
    second ‘Horton Hears A Who’
    both by the great Dr Seuss
    these books get right to the point
    easy to read and understand
    family reading with the bonus of pictures
    G-d Bless

seafoid
      July 23, 2014, 4:15 pm
      tokyobk
      July 23, 2014, 6:33 pm

Horton Hears a Who is fitting in another way to the story of changing perspectives — and I believe the US in general is undergoing a mind shift on I/P.

The children’s book was of course written of course by Dr. Seuss who shared much of America’s fear and suspicion of Japanese people, including Japanese Americans. If you look at the propaganda cartoons he made they are no less stereotypically drawn than other contemporaneous images.

After the war Dr. Seuss visited occupied Japan and met Japanese people and completely changed his views. HHaW is in part a parable for conquest and occupation and also a reminder to himself, it seems, and to others to make sure to listen to other voices even if they are hard to hear.

Its not a complete parallel because the Japanese Empire was indeed a belligerent against the US and gave as good as it got in terms of radicalized propaganda (Japanese Americans living on the West coast is closer), but the transition of not seeing/hearing to seeing/hearing others seems apt at the moment because there is no doubt the imagery of Gaza is in the American mind and heart as never before.

RoHa
        July 23, 2014, 7:42 pm

The message of Horton Hears a Who is a lesson in scientific method. To wit: base your ideas on the empirical evidence, regardless of popular hysteria or appeals to “consensus”.

3. Chu
    Chu
    July 23, 2014, 4:14 pm

Cool club. I wish I could join. When do they break out the strychnine and dance with snakes, or am I confusing this practice with some other custom?

4. just
    just
    July 23, 2014, 4:19 pm

“It has been under these conditions that I’ve finally been acquainting myself with Israel’s capital”

You were in Tel Aviv?

(sarcasm intended)

I wish you luck on your work.

5. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 23, 2014, 4:22 pm

“As the mobs stroll through the streets, its total toleration from passersby and police deflate any hope I may have in the future of a harmonious Jewish/Arab coexistence”

Chu
      July 24, 2014, 12:57 pm

Sayed Kashua. Smart guy. Get out while you still can. The Israelis burning that Arab Israeli a few weeks ago was worse than any lynching in the old american south. All the political leaders later denounced it, but prior to the incident they all wanted retribution.

Antoher interesting story you may want to read:
      Israeli Professor Suggests Rape as ‘Terror Deterrent’
      Mordechai Kedar: Sex Assault on Relatives Will Stop Attacks

6. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 23, 2014, 4:35 pm

“Then a month ago, in honor of Jerusalem Day, dozens of students banged on doors in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City while crying out, “Destroy the seed of Amalek,” “The Temple will be rebuilt, the mosque burned,” “Mohammed is dead,” and “Death to Arabs.

A year ago, with another wave of hate crimes in the background, I visited a high school in Jerusalem. There were students there who declared they hated all the Arabs, that they did not want to see Arabs anywhere — “Not in the street, not in the mall, not on the light rail” — alongside others who offered a more complex message. Research and surveys in the last 20 years show that the strength of the first group has grown steadily, while the second group is shrinking and going silent. Hatred has become a major component in the personal and group identity of our youth. It is present all the time, and sometimes, in some places and depending on the events, it also rears its head toward immigrants and leftists. ”

“The secretary-general of World Bnei Akiva – a religious youth movement that used to be moderate – demanded this week that Israeli soldiers be turned into an army of revenge and not stop at 300 Philistine foreskins. The head of the Jewish Identity Administration that Bennett established, a former IDF chief rabbi, demanded “state vengeance.” Fully 52 percent of Jewish first-graders study in religious or ultra-Orthodox schools, and most are imbibing the theology that “you [the Jews] are called man, and the nations of the world are not call man.”
    At the demonstration where those who burned a boy alive met up, demonstrators shouted the chant that has taken over the Beitar Jerusalem soccer team: “The Jew is a great soul; the Arab is a son of a bitch.” This isn’t a superficial slogan. In the theology of the generation trained by the establishment’s education system, Jews are told that non-Jews have no soul. Non-Jews have only the same animal spirit that beasts do. Only Jews have a truly human soul, to which the commandment “do not murder” applies. It’s not by chance that the influential ultra-Orthodox kabbalist Rabbi David Batzri said, “The Arabs are a nation of donkeys. They are Satan. They are donkeys and beasts.”
    And who will change this? The education minister – who was appointed thanks to secular votes – who ruled that it’s forbidden to sell an apartment to Arabs? And he even based himself on the Biblical verse “Thou shalt show no mercy to them” (Deuteronomy 7:2) – the religious commandment of this generation, which has three elements: It’s forbidden to show favor to non-Jews; it’s forbidden to give them a foothold in the land; and it’s forbidden to pity them.
    The era of self-deception has ended. This is the face of the regime. This is the face of those who control most of the regime’s education and religion. A rabbi like Shmuel Eliyahu, who rails against selling or renting to Arabs and encourages violence against them, has been promoted to the role of spiritual guide to the Magen David Adom ambulance service. ”

Don’t forget the elites who feed the monster
    “Both morality and the rule of law demand equal treatment of all murders. They also demand an acknowledgment of the difference between the deliberate murder of innocent civilians and the legitimate military actions of a government seeking to protect its citizens, even when those military actions cause unavoidable civilian casualties among the human shields widely employed by Israel’s enemies. ”

But liberal Judaism will save the day and Israeli democracy is strong.

Mooser
      July 23, 2014, 9:40 pm

“But liberal Judaism will save the day…”

Seafoid, are you confusing “Liberal Jews” with “Liberal Zionists”?

eljay
      July 23, 2014, 9:50 pm

>> “Both morality and the rule of law demand equal treatment of all murders. They also demand an acknowledgment of the difference between the deliberate murder of innocent civilians and the legitimate military actions of a government seeking to protect its citizens, even when those military actions cause unavoidable civilian casualties … ”

“All murders are equal, but some murders are more equal than others.” Funny stuff.

So, when are morality and rule of law going to get around to holding Israel and Zio-supremacists accountable for 60+ years of murdering innocent civilians for the sake of an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist “Jewish State”?

french_jew
      July 24, 2014, 11:09 am

Most of these rabbis are not “ultra-orthodox” but national-religious, which parallels the “modern orthodox” movement in the United states. The two movements are very different and have very different conceptions of judaism.

Pretending that the main causes behind israeli racism is the jewish religion is an essentialism which ignores the historical reality of zionism: the israeli anti-arab racism predates religious zionism (which was more or less theorized by Abraham Isaac Kook but really took off in the 50’s and 60’s). It’s roots have to be found in the European colonial ideology which constructs a fundamental difference between the civilized white man and the savage, which have been present in the zionist project, and later in the state of Israel since the beginning. With zionism, jews became white men in the middle east, superior to the local indigenous populations in the colonial hierarchy. Jabotinsky never needed the quote the Torah to justify his feeling of superiority to the local indigenous population, he preferred to look at spanish and english colonialism in America as rolemodels (read “the Iron wall”). Religious zionism only came later, giving a religious green light to this colonial system with the arrival of the much more religious jewish populations in the 50s to Israel. It’s growth can also be atributed to the fact that zionism needed religious approval to become hegemonic among jewish populations in the diaspora, which it wasn’t until 67.

And the “liberal” and non religious israeli population is as embedded in colonial privilege as the rest. Tel Aviv seculars who go to gay pride parade smoke weed and dance to electronic music every week end still dehumanize arabs and still justify IDF crimes, when they don’t participate in them as soldiers.

Selecting the religious elements in zionist racism reinforces antisemitism and it’s myths on the jewish religion (how the talmud preaches world conquest and dehumanizes the “goyim”). Even if we fight against zionism because it’s horrible effects are there for all to see, especially these days. Antisemites still pose threats to jewish communities and should not be strengthened (and strengthening antisemites also strengthens zionism, since non zionist and liberal jews haven’t been able to come up with a political doctrine strong enough to counter balance zionism).

7. Kay24
    Kay24
    July 23, 2014, 4:49 pm

They are racist by nature, as this article shows. Now we can imagine the horrors faced by the Palestinian people by the illegal settlers and the terrorist IDF, on a daily basis.
    They have a nasty streak of wickedness in them.

Various tweets from within Gaza, note the one showing the flechettes used by the Israeli terrorists, and the one showing IDF terrorist using children as human shields.

I wish the Obama administration that voted AGAINST an investigation for war crimes against Israel (it is so obvious now) would take a look at the brutality of the Israelis they keep protecting and pampering. I am ashamed that my country NEVER does the right thing for civilians when it comes to Israeli war crimes.

PeterAgur
      July 23, 2014, 7:12 pm

Yes, the people in the video are expressing hateful views, and that is deplorable. And unfortunately, not surprising, as they are the product of an education system that is plagued with racism and nationalism. But do you see the irony in decrying racism by claiming that a particular group is inherently racist?

ejran
        July 24, 2014, 4:36 am

I do.
        The way I am offended when people say arabs are “inherently violent”.

I read Blumenthal’s “Goliath”, and part of me was afraid to condemn so readily the way he did, only because I could find parallels in Arab society. He is shocked at jewish youth yelling “death to Arabs” in soccer games, and I immediately recalled the phrase “allah yil’an il yahoud” (god curse the jews) that some people casually use when something, anything, bad happens, when somebody drops a glass and breaks it. It’s not very common- these days I hear it maybe twice a year (more often when I was younger), but I always argue with whoever uses the line. Some think for a second and agree, but when it’s a palestinian the conversation is longer. I’m not a palestinian, and I can’t pretend to understand the bitterness. I was not denied my right of return simply because I am not jewish. My grandmother did not wear the metal key to her palestine home around her neck until her death, confident they would someday be allowed to return. My grandfather did not try to go back, just to check on the house and the crops, only to be caught, imprisoned, loaded with all other “infiltrators” into trucks and dumped at the borders, then was blindfolded and told to run, and whoever looks back will be shot (and they fired anyway).

I can’t imagine. I am not a refugee. An israeli friend of mine posted a quote by Golda Meir on facebook, “Peace will come when the arabs learn to love their children more than they hate us.” I told him, it’s important to ask where hate comes from. Is it possible that decades of occupation, oppression, dispossession, and humiliation all lead to hate? He said, I don’t care about the past. We should deal with the present.
        He’s a 20-year old soldier. He is not “inherently racist”. When I tell him I believe the only thing that makes such brutality possible is the dehumanization of the other, he is angry. He says I have palestinian friends. He repeats the line of hamas using everyone as human shields. He says israel uses weapons to protect civilians, hamas uses civilians to protect its weapons. He listens but doesn’t listen. He truly, honestly believes israel is in the right. He hates war and killing, he says. But we can’t be naive in these situations.

Einstein said nationalism is an infantile disease, humanity’s measles. Sagan wondered, and I often wonder, how the middle east would be today if he had accepted the presidency of Israel.

PeterAgur
        July 24, 2014, 2:53 pm

yes, I really hate that stupid Golda quote, that has been making rounds on my FB feed as well…
        And again, I can understand how people who were reared on a diet of prejudice and misinformation could have a pretty racist world view, just like I can understand how people how have suffered a great grievance have no sympathy for the causers of their tragedy (and why would they, really?). But assuming any group of people is inherently racist or violent is not just wrong, it’s immoral.

Mooser
        July 25, 2014, 1:09 am

“But assuming any group of people is inherently racist or violent is not just wrong, it’s immoral.”

So if we stop saying that about the Israelis, will they stop bombing the Gazans? I mean, who knew that’s all it would take? I’ll say they’re not racist all day and night if the Israelis will stop the bombing.
        But I do take your point, and at this time, the most important thing is whether somebody said an ill-considered word about the Israelis.

Mooser
        July 25, 2014, 1:06 am

“But do you see the irony in decrying racism by claiming that a particular group is inherently racist?”

I’m sorry Pete, I must have missed it. Who here said “a particular group is inherently racist”? Can you tell me that?
        Or do you think that Zionism is not inherently racist?

PeterAgur
        July 25, 2014, 2:43 am

I was referring to Kay24’s comment “They are racist by nature”. And no, I do not think that “if you stop saying that about the Israelis they will stop bombing Gaza”. I’m not of the position that racism should be avoided only if there is an immediate reward.
        Whether or not Zionism – an ideology – is inherently racist is a completely different debate. I just don’t think PEOPLE are inherently anything, positive or negative.

8. concernedhuman
    concernedhuman
    July 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

A right-leaning Israeli rabbi has issued a religious ruling stating that the total destruction of Gaza is justified if military leaders consider it necessary. Rabbi Dvor Lior is considered to be one of the most extreme far-right religious leaders.

Lior wrote that during any war where the Jewish people deem themselves to be under attack, they are legally allowed to fight back against the nation from which the attack came from.

“Therefore, in a time of war, the attacked nation is permitted to punish the enemy population with whatever measures it deems proper, like blocking supplies or electricity. It may bomb the entire area based on the judgment of the war minister and not wantonly put soldiers at risk,” he wrote, adding that “deterrent measures to exterminate the enemy”
    are allowed, Haaretz reported.

From their ministers to their rabbis all have this notion.

zionism is just an upgrade of nazism?!

Kay24
      July 23, 2014, 6:04 pm

It certainly seems like modern day nazism, and worse, because these hate speeches come from even their Rabbis, past and present. They advocate annihilation, extermination, and ethnic cleansing, and their actions today in Gaza, certainly shows they follow those directions:

The late Rabbi Ovadia Yosef:

“The Lord shall return their deeds on their own heads, waste their seed and exterminate them, devastate them and vanish them from this world. It is forbidden to be merciful to them. You must send missiles to them and annihilate them. They are evil and damnable.”

The irony is, they have their share of haters, but keep pointing to the other side constantly.

Accentitude
      July 24, 2014, 7:11 am

This is Rabbi Dov Lior, a horrible and despicable creature who is not worthy of his role as a leader of faith. However, this is also not the first time that Dov Lior has spewed his venomous hatred. He is well known for his extreme and racist decrees and often calls for outright murder of “Arabs” and Palestinians. I shed no tears whatsoever for Yitzkhak Rabin but it is well known that Baruch Goldstein, the settler who murdered him, was a follower of Dov Lior and still receives his support.

It is also worth mentioning that he is the Chief Rabbi of Hebron (particularly the Kiryat Arba settlement) and is on the Israeli government’s payroll.

Haaretz said it right – If Dov Lior was a Muslim, he would have been assassinated a long time ago. http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.556311

9. Bob_Salad
    Bob_Salad
    July 23, 2014, 8:42 pm

Ku Klux Klan, anyone?

10. michelle
    michelle
    July 23, 2014, 10:11 pm

i believe we all start out with pure goodness
    in our hearts and minds and then
    we are taught/learn to be of the world/flesh
    if we seek truth we may just find pure goodness again
    G-d Bless

11. Bob_Salad
    Bob_Salad
    July 23, 2014, 11:02 pm

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:13 am

“Benjamin Netanyahu; proudly flushing the Israeli national identity down the toilet since 1996.”

I know. Isn’t it terrible? And before Netanyahu came along Israel was an egalitaruian paradise, no racism at all. And no aggression, none. No intransigence, none. Darn You, Netanyahu.

12. kalithea
    kalithea
    July 24, 2014, 12:22 am

Brown shirts and the intellectualization of Zionism by the left. If anyone is living in Israel and pretending to be anti-Zionist; they are contributing to the Zionist economy and the status quo. If you have a conscience then you will get out and allow the inevitable to occur; Zionism’s self-destruction, instead of delaying it, because to delay it by pretending there’s some kind of hope for Israel is to help in perpetuating an illusion that prolongs the suffering of others, delays justice and denies the truth.

13. kalithea
    kalithea
    July 24, 2014, 12:29 am

The only way that anti-Zionist Jews and leftist Jews can help end the suffering is to GET OUT OF ISRAEL and throw their support behind the BDS movement to squeeze the Israeli economy. Stop prolonging the misery by pushing an illusion that is going nowhere. Start facing reality and do something once and for all to end the suffering of the Palestinian people.

14. Spring Renouncer
    Spring Renouncer
    July 24, 2014, 1:38 am

It must be terrifying to be a Palestinian in such a hostile environment. Terrible. First you must work below the Israelis, subject to their government and wealth, forced into subordinate jobs (like driving a cab) and then you must fear for your life. The only redeeming part of the video is the left-wing Israelis who try to confront the little fascist thugs who are mostly teenagers. Which parents could condone this, which society?.

Bob_Salad
      July 24, 2014, 9:23 am

Yes, and we shouldn’t forget there are some who would and do take a stand against this sort of behaviour, so sweeping generalizations aren’t helpful (I understand there were reports of protest in Tel Aviv this week?).

That being said, it’s a very sorry state of affairs when – as you point out, a society seems so casually indifferent when it’s youths go marching down the street making disgusting racists comments without any apparent fear of retribution.

Clips like the one posted above, is just one of a growing number of really repulsive incidents coming out of Israel at the moment: the guy attacking the TV reporter; the crowds cheering as the bombs fell on Gaza; the Klan meeting posted here etc, etc, none of which paint a very pretty picture of supposedly modern, liberal democracy which Israel claims itself to be.

As I said above, Bibi is doing a really, really terrific job with the Israeli national identity atm.

Mooser
        July 25, 2014, 1:16 am

“a society seems so casually indifferent when it’s youths go marching down the street making disgusting racists comments without any apparent fear of retribution”

They went down the street making disgusting racist remarks. Thank God they went no further, and didn’t beat, murder or burn anybody.

15. Accentitude
    Accentitude
    July 24, 2014, 3:34 am

In chanting “Death to Arabs”, Israelis far surpass the source and the reason of the conflict: Occupation of Israelis over Palestinians and in doing so, they’re showing that it’s not just protesting against the actions of Palestinians that affect them in their own country but that they are thoroughly racist towards the region that they live in. Palestinians are a flavor of Arabs but Israelis are not chanting “Death to Palestinians”, they’re chanting “Death to Arabs” which basically translates to “Death to Palestinians, Jordanians and Egyptians (both of whom have full diplomatic and economic ties with Israel), Lebanese, Iraqis, Kuwaitis, Saudis, Sudanese, Moroccans, Tunisians, Algerians, Somalis, Libyans, Omanis, Yemenis, Qataris…” and so on. This is the real face of Zionism – that anyone one Arab from any Arab nation is unfit to live as he is perceived as a natural threat to Jews and Israelis everywhere and therefore needs to die. Have we not learned from the past? There was a certain German fellow who believed the same thing about Jews. He led his followers into chanting “Death to Jews” and they ran through the streets of Berlin looking for Jewish people much like Israelis now look for “Arabs.” Do we need to repeat how that story ended?

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:18 am

“Do we need to repeat how that story ended?”

I’ve heard the Zionists did pretty good out of it. The Nazis may have hated Jews, but their attitude towards the Zionists was much more ambivalent. As a matter of fact, they found they could work together under some circumstances.

16. ivri
    ivri
    July 24, 2014, 8:10 am

You have to realize that more than 6 decades in a conflict takes its toll on people. There is no question that all the many wars and in particular the second Intifada has created a whole new attitude here. I suppose that was also part of the intention of the terror organization: sending Israelis a message that they cannot survive here and retain the traditional liberal attitudes of Judaism. But this “success” is a mixed blessing for the Palestinians because they now need to confront the kind of opponent they have created

just
      July 24, 2014, 9:00 am

Oh please.

Israel’s “tradition” is Zionism and the original terrorism that stained the land The Palestinians had nothing to do with creating your character or lack thereof. It was always there, from the beginning. You own it, don’t blame others for your sins.

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:21 am

“sending Israelis a message that they cannot survive here and retain the traditional liberal attitudes of Judaism. But this “success” is a mixed blessing for the Palestinians because they now need to confront the kind of opponent they have created”

How many permutations of “it’s all the Palestinians fault” are they going to try. It’s the Palestinians fault for all not immediately dying en masse when the Zionists showed up?

RoHa
        July 25, 2014, 1:48 am

“It’s the Palestinians fault for all not immediately dying en masse when the Zionists showed up?”

Yes. Mind you, they should never have existed in the first place.

RoHa
        July 25, 2014, 2:04 am

However, the Israelis are trying to correct that mistake.

eljay
      July 25, 2014, 8:18 am

>> You have to realize that more than 6 decades in a conflict takes its toll on people.

No kidding. I don’t know how the Palestinians have managed to “keep it together”, what with their being f*cked over by Zio-supremacist Jews for over 60 years…and counting!

>> There is no question that all the many wars and in particular the second Intifada has created a whole new attitude here. I suppose that was also part of the intention of the terror organization: sending Israelis a message that they cannot survive here and retain the traditional liberal attitudes of Judaism.

Which “traditional liberal attitudes of Judaism” are you talking about? The ones that drove/drive Zio-supremacist Jews to commit terrorism, ethnic cleansing, oppression, theft, occupation, colonization, destruction, torture and murder and to insist upon Jewish supremacism in a supremacist “Jewish State”? Why on Earth would any decent Jewish person want to retain such immoral “traditional liberal attitudes of Judaism”?

>> But this “success” is a mixed blessing for the Palestinians because they now need to confront the kind of opponent they have created

Jews – not Palestinians – created the Zio-supremacist monster they sent into Palestine.

17. afmeyers
    afmeyers
    July 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Thanks to Arpan Roy for this report, and please keep it up. A dialectical materialist might point out that this is a prime historical example of something turning into its opposite: the Jews of Europe, victims of fascism and racism, now become the purveyors of fascism/racism. This can help us understand the dynamics but can never excuse the turn to fascism. We need to do everything we can to expose this reality to the U.S. public in all its horror and ugliness. We need to disabuse the U.S. public of the fiction of Israeli “democracy”. The work of Max Blumenthal (“Goliath”) is another example. Take a good look at what we’re paying for, America…it ain’t pretty.

18. hophmi
    hophmi
    July 24, 2014, 11:05 am

You struggle to understand why a few people in Israel might have been radicalized by living in an atmosphere of rocket fire and suicide murder in the last 20 years? Maybe you should struggle to understand why the fascists who rule Gaza have decided that the best thing for their people is to launch rockets at Israeli cities.

I guess you’re not much of an anthropologist. If you want to learn about fascism, you’re really in the wrong part of the Middle East. You can go to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Iraq – you should be able to learn about fascism in any of those places.

Chu
      July 24, 2014, 11:43 am

the death toll today is 30 to 700+. Enough with your talking points.

Occupiers of Palestine ( largely from Europe) took all the Palestinians towns away from them since 1948. Now those displaced are left in a concentration camp (1.8 million on 100 sq miles[4milesx 25miles]). Israeli squatters (aka settlers) moved in to the abandoned homes continually occurring in since 1948. ~ ‘the slow simmer of occupation’ (see max ajl)

There’s no excuse for killing people and taking their homes. That is the first issue,
      launching ineffective rockets came later. If Connecticut residents were crammed into a the tiny state of Rhode Island, should those people give up the fight? (Even if their continued dispossession occurred for more that SIX decades.)

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:30 am

“Maybe you should struggle to understand why the fascists who rule Gaza have decided that the best thing for their people is to launch rockets at Israeli cities.”

Okay, I usually just let this crap roll off my back, but is there some reason why we have to put up with this? “the fascists who rule Gaza have decided that the best thing for their people is to launch rockets at Israeli cities”

Isn’t that just a bit, as the saying goes “beyond the pail”? I think Hophmi’s got a hole in his bucket.

Say Hophmi, where you been for the last few days, hiding in a shelter in case any Hamas rockets reached Manhattan?

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:42 am

“You struggle to understand why a few people in Israel might have been radicalized by living in an atmosphere of rocket fire and suicide murder in the last 20 years?”

“Radicalized” Oh, there’s a hot one! Sort of hard to call a policy of the Israeli State “radical” wouldn’t you say? How is it “radical” to enthusiastically go along with the government?

And oh, the poor “Israelis”, such a nakba they’ve had to endure from those “Arabs”

19. eljay
    eljay
    July 24, 2014, 11:15 am

>> hophmeee: You can go to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Iraq – you should be able to learn about fascism in any of those places.

And, while there, he can remind himself that Israel strives to be just a little bit better than these places – better, even, than African “hell-holes”! And it’ll all make sense.

Mooser
      July 25, 2014, 1:38 am

“Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Iraq”

Ah, so Israel, according to Hophmi, has some fascist friends. With full diplomatic relations with Israel. Funny, that.

20. PilgrimSoul
    PilgrimSoul
    July 24, 2014, 2:16 pm

Jabotinsky modeled his version of Zionism on Italian fascism, even sending some of his people there to study how fascism works. Now we see the rise of far-right gangs of hooligans in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Isn’t that how fascism won in Europe? Penetration of the central government with fascist ideas and personnel, with fighters on the street demoralizing the people, so those on the inside could seize power?

Zionism is not the opposite of fascism, but the outcome of fascism experienced by the Zionist founders, who then internalized its emotional orientations. Ethnic cleansing of Palestinians is not the opposite of the Holocaust, but a continuation of it by other means. If the lunatic Israeli religious parties succeed in causing a worldwide religious war by blowing up the Al Aqsa Mosque, there will be many more than six million dead this time around.

“The abused child grows up to be an abuser.” The victim of secular fascism grows up to be a religious fascist–having internalized antisemitism, they practice it against the Palestinians. It’s dialectical, all right, but the people involved aren’t conscious of their own motives. Systemic evil is typically acted out not by conspirators, but by sleepwalkers.

21. DICKERSON3870
    DICKERSON3870
    July 25, 2014, 7:11 am

RE: “In my readings, I came across a curious little document called The Doctrine of Fascism, co-written by Mussolini in 1932. I urge everyone to read it. Its points line up with the views of Jewish nationalists exactly. It is spiritual, anti-individualistic, and race-based. With minor changes, it can easily be adopted as the manifesto of the Israeli right. Fascism is here.” ~ Aran Roy

MY COMMENT: I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Netanyahu reminded me of fascist Italy’s Il Duce back in the 1930s. More recently, as I have watched Netanyahu unleash Operation Protective Edge on Gaza, it occurred to me at some point that perhaps Bibi reminds me even more of Uganda’s erstwhile dictator Idi Amin.
    Go figure.