‘Jewish’ or ‘Israeli’ — NYT, BBC, and CNN make different word choice

Mark Regev on CTV news in Canada

Mark Regev on CTV news in Canada

The New York Times story on the arrest of six Israeli Jews for the murder of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, 16, was slightly squeamish about the fact that they are Jewish. It did not identify them as Jews in the first paragraph:

That information was withheld till late in the second paragraph:

Moshe Yaalon, the Israeli defense minister, said in a statement that he was “ashamed and shocked by the cruel murder,” describing those behind it as “Jewish terrorists.”

An Israeli police spokesman, Micky Rosenfeld, said there was a “strong possibility” that the motive for the killing of Muhammad Abu Khdeir, 16, was “nationalistic,” indicating that it was a revenge attack by right-wing Jewish extremists

BBC was more frank about the Jewishness of the suspects:

A number of Jewish suspects have been arrested over the murder of Palestinian 16-year-old Mohammad Abu Khdair, whose death sparked days of violent protests.

Israeli police told the BBC that the teenager, abducted on Wednesday morning and found dead hours later, was killed “because of his nationality”.

Haaretz is also blunt about the terrorists’ Jewishness. In fact, it thinks that fact is important. It published a searing editorial expressing horror at the murder of Abu Khdeir and the vicious beating of his cousin, Tarek Abu Khdeir, an American.  In a wake-up call to all Zionists and to the Jewish establishment in the U.S., it summoned readers to regard these crimes as flowing from the definition of the “Jewish state.”

Abu Khdeir’s murderers are not “Jewish extremists.” They are the descendants and builders of a culture of hate and vengeance that is nurtured and fertilized by the guides of “the Jewish state”: Those for whom every Arab is a bitter enemy, simply because they are Arab; those who were silent at the Beitar Jerusalem games when the team’s fans shouted “death to Arabs” at Arab players; those who call for cleansing the state of its Arab minority, or at least to drive them out of the homes and cities of the Jews…

Prosecuting the murderers is no longer sufficient. There must be a cultural revolution in Israel. Its political leaders and military officers must recognize this injustice and right it. They must begin raising the next generation, at least, on humanist values, and foster a tolerant public discourse. Without these, the Jewish tribe will not be worthy of its own state.

CNN’s Jake Tapper quoted the Haaretz editorial yesterday when he grilled Israeli spokesman Mark Regev about what caused the murders. He pointed out that few attacks by “Jewish settlers” are ever prosecuted and quoted Haaretz saying that many Israelis are part of a “vengeful, vindictive Jewish tribe whose license to perpetrate horrors is based on the horrors that were done to it.” And Tapper is Jewish.

So again, why the squeamishness? One of Netanyahu’s demands of the Palestinians was that they must recognize Israel as the Jewish state, and he always speaks of himself as the leader of the Jewish people. It’s foundational:

Today, supporting Israel has been ingrained in Jewish life in the United States.

Here’s a bizarre statement in the Tampa Bay Times, from a fellow Floridian on the beating of Tampa resident Tarek Abu Khdeir:

“They’re giving this kid more publicity than he deserves,” said Bob Kunst, a longtime pro-Israel activist in South Florida who plans a protest in Broward County today demanding that the Israeli military strike Hamas. “That whole thing has turned into a major propaganda victory for Abbas and the Arabs.”

Kunst is president of an organization called Shalom International. This is how they begin their “About Us” page:

Yes, we are Jewish. Big Time!

Some folks aren’t squeamish at all.

philweiss

1. hophmi
    hophmi
    July 8, 2014, 12:30 pm

The NY Times is squeamish because it mentioned that the perpetrators of the Abu Khdeir murder were Jewish in paragraphs 2 and 3 instead of paragraph 1?

2. joemowrey
    joemowrey
    July 8, 2014, 12:39 pm

And by the way, hophmi, do you expect the homes of those alleged Jewish perpetrators will be demolished (especially now that several of them have apparently confessed) as were the homes of the Palestinian “suspects” in the abduction of the three Israeli teens? Gee, I’ll bet not, despite Netanyahu’s claim that they will face “the full weight of the law,” insisting, “We do not differentiate between the terrorists.”

Once again, apartheid law enforcement by an apartheid state.

hophmi
      July 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Are you against home demolitions as I am, Joe?

just
        July 8, 2014, 2:27 pm

Thanks in advance.

ritzl
        July 8, 2014, 3:06 pm

Bingo, just. Always after the fact and only when the situation glaringly suggests that Jewish-Israelis be treated with equally harsh malevolence. Always. And not just hophmi, but any of the apologists. Situational and/or expedient morality.

But hophmi’s right in the sense that the practice is wrong. Period. He (or any of them) will just never be proactive about his objections when it happens to Palestinians. Yet another example of the pervasive, “Palestinians are ignorable as humans” mindset and argumentation starting point.

hophmi
        July 8, 2014, 3:10 pm

“Could you please help to locate even one example of when you wrote that you are against the deliberate demolition of Palestinians’ homes by Israel?”

Just, instead of asking asinine questions like this, why don’t you just take it for what it’s worth. I don’t ask you for a history on every position you take. I have long been against home demolitions (they are wrong, stupid, and unnecessary), and I’m sure I’ve expressed that opinion elsewhere, but it hasn’t been something I’ve focused much on.

Mooser
        July 8, 2014, 3:18 pm

“Just, instead of asking asinine questions like this, why don’t you just take it for what it’s worth.”

Hophmi, he did. And I would say he assessed it pretty damn accurately. You couldn’t even come up with a cite from your own archive disputing it.

” I don’t ask you for a history on every position you take.”

Hey, Hophmi, is Mondoweiss “anti-Zionist”? I’ve never noticed you asking for an explication of anybody’s principles. You just seem to know how all our positions spring from Jew-hating.

• July 8, 2014, 3:22 pm

Looks like you struck a nerve with hophmi when you exposed his most recent BS.

And now Israel is engaged in yet another massacre of the people of Gaza.

Sickening.

DaveS
        July 8, 2014, 4:38 pm

hophmi, in over 6300 comments on this website, you have mentioned demolitions in five, including the two in this thread. In none of the previous three did you remotely imply that you were against demolitions. In one of them, you implied you were in favor:

“Announcing new settlement expansion every week, demolitions, confiscation, beating, skunk water and so on. As an American, do you like it?”

No. As an American, I understand that if America had faced one-tenth of the terrorism Israel had, what America would do would be far worse than that.

In other words, you said that it was understandable that Israel engaged in home demolitions, because America would be far more brutal with one-tenth the supposed provocation faced by Israel. Until now, that was your clearest-stated position on home demolitions. Now we find out that you have “long been against” them and that you are “sure [you]’ve expressed that opinion elsewhere,” that is, other than the 6300 comments on MW. I guess it’s all just’s fault for asking asinine questions, and mine for exposing your previous statements.

just
        July 8, 2014, 4:41 pm

Thanks, David. I was doing a search, and you saved me the pain of finishing it.

I asked the question b/c I could not remember hophmi ever not defending the actions of the GoI.

Shingo
        July 8, 2014, 5:02 pm

I can’t think if the last time I agreed with anything Hop has said, but let’s give Hop some slack here guys. Credit to David for his reaearch, but if in thousands of comments we can only find one indirect justification of home demolition by Hop, then I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

God knows if anyone searched through my comment history, I am sure they’d dig up a few things I’ve said that could be incriminating too.

Hop has been here a long time and taken it on the chin. He deserves some credit.

Mooser
        July 8, 2014, 3:22 pm

I just love the way Hophmi says “But I’m against it”, like that makes one damn bit of difference.
        Or does Hophmi saying “I’m against it” mean the subject is now closed, and Hophmi is free to go without stain on his character?

hophmi
        July 8, 2014, 4:24 pm

“Looks like you struck a nerve with hophmi when you exposed his most recent BS.”

In the cult, this is BS, of course. In the real world, Just is just being a self-righteous jerk.

eljay
        July 8, 2014, 2:27 pm

>> Are you against home demolitions as I am, Joe?

I’m still waiting to find out whether MY1 is against them.

Mooser
        July 8, 2014, 4:25 pm

Yup, that Hophmi is just so against home demolitions he defends the IDF all the time. See, if we don’t defend and excuse the IDF, they might get angry and demolish more Palestinian homes. So his defense of IDF actions is, of course, actually an action in defense of the Palestinians! I’m sure you can see how that works.
        Oh please, Hophmi, respond and say “I never reflexively defend the IDF actions.

justicewillprevail
        July 8, 2014, 5:21 pm

Yes, but is this man of great (recent) principle in favour of the house demolition of all the illegal israeli squatters in the West Bank? After all, israel does this routinely.Palestine would have a good case. Of course, they could just follow the example of Israel and evict the squatters without notice, and then take over their houses and land for themselves. That might be more humane. I await the scrupulously considered judgement of the grand wazoo.

hophmi
        July 8, 2014, 5:18 pm

“In other words, you said that it was understandable that Israel engaged in home demolitions”

Yep. That’s different from stating my position on it. So, LIKE I SAID, it’s not a subject on which I’ve said a great deal here. I’m against home demolitions as a policy to deter terrorist on moral and political grounds. I do also understand why Israelis feel they have to do it. Last I checked, I’m permitted to understand something that I’m against. I live in a country where one terrorist attack was responded to by launching two wars that killed hundreds of thousands of people. So I can understand why a country might take an extreme step like a home demolition when it faces an ongoing threat of terrorist attacks that are broadly supported by the population where the terrorists come from. I can (wait for it) similarly understand the despair of Palestinians who support suicide attacks against Israelis, while also condemning it as abhorrent, just as Ehud Barak does. The difference between me and most of you is that I have long tried to understand both sides, and you are mostly about hating one of them.

People here can’t seem to do that, to condemn something even when they can understand the motivation.

Since this is a place where all most people do is sound off on how much they hate Israel, I’m more inclined to offer a perspective that is supportive of Israel’s choices, or a perspective that seeks to place them in some kind of meaningful context. In places where people hold more nuanced positions, and particularly in fora where people are at the other end of the spectrum, sounding off about how much they hate Arabs or Palestinians, I’m far more critical than I am here. It is the dynamic of the argument. Even here, however, I have, where needed, corrected mis-impressions people have about my POV, such as here, where Joe Mowrey implied that I supported home demolitions of Palestinian terrorists, which I do not.

When you live in a world with no nuance where all you do is put people in black and white categories and assume everybody is either a devil or an angel depending on how much they agree with your POV, you’re prone to making mistakes about what people actually think.

“. I guess it’s all just’s fault for asking asinine questions, and mine for exposing your previous statements.”

No, you’re just being a jerk, David. a real jerk. You’ve found nothing in my statements showing that I’m in favor of home demolitions. You operate in such bad faith that when I do take the opportunity to say I’m opposed to them, you take the opportunity to question how often I’ve stated my opposition to them here, and actually look through my comments to prove that I have not talked about it much, something I readily acknowledge.

lysias
        July 8, 2014, 5:21 pm

So you’re saying that you disapprove of home demolitions, but for some reason have never said so until now in all your 6300+ comments here. And you expect us to believe you? Sorry, no sale.

Pat Nguyen
        July 8, 2014, 5:23 pm

I am in favor of applying the laws that exist in the territories. This includes home demolition. Complain to the British and Jordanians

DaveS
        July 8, 2014, 5:47 pm

hophmi: “it’s not a subject on which I’ve said a great deal here.” “I have not talked about it much, something I readily acknowledge.”

Actually, hophmi, in 6300 comments, you have never remotely suggested your opposition to home demolitions. You haven’t talked about it at all, not once. Then, when “just” questions you on your newly-stated position, you call him asinine. I have strongly criticized Palestinians who commit lethal indiscriminate attacks upon Israeli civilians, even settlers who have crossed a moral line by living where they should not. If you have truly long opposed home demolitions, the absence of any criticism over several years and 6300 comments is quite an oversight on your part. You shouldn’t blame others for bringing it up. In fact, it’s quite odd that when you said it that demolitions were understandable, you didn’t add your personal condemnation when it would have been timely, even advisable, to do so.

Perhaps it might now be appropriate to clearly state what actions regularly taken by the Israeli government and military you are opposed to, and avoid similar situations in the future.

tree
        July 8, 2014, 6:45 pm

OK, Hophmi, you’ve “clarified” that. But home demolitions for the stated reason of “deterring terrorist attacks” constitute just 6 % of the Palestinian home demolitions that Israel had done since 1967. And in fact the comment that you responded to referred not to punitive house demolitions but to the administrative and military ones that are done in order to clear more land for Jewish settlement, and to prevent Palestinian inhabited areas from increasing in size (or even to force them to decrease in size, forcing the Palestinians into smaller and smaller enclaves).

So, in the interest of clarity, hophmi, why don’t you tell us your stand on the 94% of home demolitions that Israel commits that have nothing to do with “preventing terror”? Or was your earlier response about home demolitions just meant as a diversion from the topic of the home demolitions that are nearly an everyday occurrence. *

According to ICAHD, 27000 homes had been demolished in the West Bank from 1967 to 2012. That’s 45 years at an average of 600 demolitions per year, or 1.6 homes destroyed per day.

Sumud
        July 8, 2014, 7:04 pm

Oh please hophmi!

You’re so full of yourself.

The “context” is that Israel has been perpetrating one long terrorist attack against the Palestinian people that began in 1947 and continues each and every day with no foreseeable end in sight.

It means diddly squat for you to say that you understand the perspective of both sides, it is completely without meaning or value since you are one of if not Israel’s biggest apologists in cyberspace. You’re just trying to assuage your conscience and pretend you’re a half-decent person – so open-minded, fair and understanding!

Hey – we advocate for universal human rights and the rule and respect of international law. Meanwhile you just keep on defending those jewish supremacists and their ongoing Nakba…

It’s pretty obvious who the narrow-minded hater is.

talknic
        July 8, 2014, 8:36 pm

@ hophmi

WOW! That ol’ ziocaine sure packs a punch.

lyn117
        July 9, 2014, 1:49 am

@Hopmi, all evidence says that Israel demolishes Palestinian homes largely to cause them to give up their land and leave it for Jews to take over. I see no evidence that you actually do understand your own side. There is a large difference between the actual reasons the Israeli government does something and their stated reasons. I doubt the U.S. government’s real reason for launching the war on Iraq had anything to do with the terrorist attacks, either. I could forgive some Israeli people who may be propagandized into thinking they’re under attack all the time, but not the government which constantly drums up that fear. And I’ve never read you do anything better than finding excuses for that same Israeli government.

I don’t know if you realize that it’s the Palestinian civilians who have been under attack for 100 years by Zionists, you just take the side of the Israeli government. Right, so you find certain actions of the Israeli government abhorrent – but not the fundamental goal of ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians from land Israel claims for Jews, which is the motivation behind those abhorrent actions? The Zionist goals, the Jewish majority in Israel could not have been achieved without actions such as home demolitions, and also, actions on par with burning people alive that you claim to find abhorrent.

joemowrey
        July 8, 2014, 5:49 pm

Of course I am opposed to home demolitions. The point of my comment was that Israel uses this barbaric tactic only against Palestinians, not against Jews. I assume the point of your question to me, hophmi, was to deflect from that reality.

Mooser
        July 8, 2014, 7:36 pm

Really, it hardly matters which Israeli policy Hophmi is against. He doesn’t live there and never will. So who is he trying to kid?

3. American
    American
    July 8, 2014, 12:41 pm

”“They’re giving this kid more publicity than he deserves,” said Bob Kunst, a longtime pro-Israel activist in South Florida who plans a protest in Broward County today demanding that the Israeli military strike Hamas.”

Hummm…..in my fantasy world, but still recognizing US political corruption on Isr what would I recommend to end I/P and zionism once and for all?
    […]
    Cut the heads of the snake off.
    Since Isr and the US have official policies of asassinating terrorist leaders I dont see why we the people cant have one of our own.
    Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Note to NSA (and mj rosenberg)…This is my opinion and doesnt reflect the position of this site and its principals.

4. just
    just
    July 8, 2014, 12:45 pm

Thanks for this guys. It’s important. And I think a lot of folks have been squeamish before, not so much now.

When we get the media/Israelis to stop using ‘Arabs’ as a collective term, and start identifying Palestinians as Palestinians, then we may be getting somewhere more honest as well

seafoid
      July 8, 2014, 3:22 pm

“Israeli arab” has to go too.

just
        July 8, 2014, 4:34 pm

I agree.

(But I can’t help making this comment: It’s what the pure in Israel really want– they want them gone, too.)

Mikhael
        July 9, 2014, 5:00 am

seafoid says:
        July 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

“Israeli arab” has to go too.

And an Irishman living in Ireland (if I am not mistaken about your background) gets to decide this? Most Arab citizens of Israel see themselves as Arabs. Many of them–a minority–but a large minority–even identify as proudly Israeli, identifying with the country of their citizenship.

It’s not up to you.

mariapalestina
        July 9, 2014, 1:58 pm

I always ask Palestinian Israelis if they consider themselves Palestinians or Arabs. The answer is always “Palestinian.” I believe Jewish Arabs in Israel outnumber Palestinians, so to refer to Palestinian Israelis as Arabs is misleading as well as deliberately offensive.

seafoid
        July 9, 2014, 3:48 pm

They are still Palestinian even if that term only became fashionable in israel in 1965. Israeli arab is meaningless. It shows Zionism still can’t deal with Palestinian reality.

Mikhael
        July 10, 2014, 12:30 am

They can be Palestinian if they want to be Palestinian, but remember–they don’t all accept that designation. I know many Arab citizens of Israel who explicitly reject a Palestinian identity–their choice and their right–and not my business or yours to tell them how they must define themselves. But certainly, if the Arab citizens of Israel (you know, Israeli Arabs) choose to regard themselves as primarily Palestinian, the solution to their national identity crisis is to leave Israel for the PA and the future Palestinian state that may emerge there, as Tzipi Livni suggested some years ago, they can achieve their national aspirations as Palestinians outside of Israel. Whether the Israeli Arabs accept or reject a Palestinian identity in addition to or in place of an Israeli identity (some consider themselves Israeli Palestinians too), it is clear that, unlike Mizrahi Jews, they almost all embrace an Arab identity and identify as such. And since these Arabs hold Israeli citizenship, logically, by definition they are Israeli Arabs. It’s simply the more neutral term to use, as “Palestinian” is not universally used among all Arabs who hold Israeli citizenship.

Faisal
        July 9, 2014, 4:15 pm

Except that the Israeli “Supreme Court” – the supreme court of an apartheid and eliminationist garrison state, without a constitution to interpret – “ruled” that there’s no such thing as an Israeli nationality; of course in fear of undermining the settler-colonial and ethnocratic power structure.

And yeah, there are some native inhabitants in the depopulated 78% of historic Palestine who bow to their masters and proclaim that “they’re proud Israelis”. They’re called mercenaries, Uncle Toms and collaborationists.

Mikhael
        July 10, 2014, 8:27 am

Faisal says:
        July 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Oh, I guess only countries with constitutions that are written and codified (like North Korea and Syria) have systems of law, justice and due process.
        Similar to the UK and New Zealand, Israel does not have a written constitution, but a constitutional framework that functions as an unwritten constitution that can be interpreted by its Supreme Court (which has had justices of Arab and Jewish nationality sitting on it) in the form of its Basic Laws, legislative statutes, and previous judicial precedents.

And as a term of art, in Israel there is currently no such thing as Israeli “nationality,” but there is Israeli citizenship. People of various national origins , whether Jewish, Arab or other, can hold Israel citizenship (Jewish, of course refers to a national identity and not merely adherents of the religion that has come to be called in English “Judaism” in its various forms. Atheist and agnostics who have no belief in or affinity for any of the doctrines of “Judaism,” can nevertheless be Jews by nationality). Semantically speaking, as “Israeli” has for centuries been synonymous with “Jew” in the Diaspora and within Eretz Yisrael (the Hebrew expression ‘am yisrael always referred to the Jewish People–not citizens of the modern nation-state of Israel–and in European languages–terms like “Israelite” were substituted for Jew in polite company)-calling non-Jewish citizens of the Jewish state “Israeli Arabs” or “Israeli Armenians” or whatever the case may be is tantamount to recognizing a Jewish civic citizenship without imposing a Jewish national identity on them.

Mikhael
        July 10, 2014, 8:32 am

Faisal says:
        July 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm
        of an apartheid and eliminationist garrison state,

The apartheid state that allows full enfranchisement and representation for the minority of citizens who are not Jewish . (Unlike the apartheid state that forbade that to the majority of non-white citizens.) The “eliminationist” state that has seen its non-Jewish population quintuple in 6 decades.

Mikhael
      July 9, 2014, 4:56 am

just says:
      July 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Since Palestinian Arabs generally themselves define themselves and identify as such –and even the Palestinian National Charter makes explicit reference to the Palestinians being an integral part of the Arab nation, how is this a problem?

5. seafoid
    seafoid
    July 8, 2014, 12:59 pm

Regev was on a sticky wicket and he didn’t bat very well. Good to see some serious questions being asked. Israel is a mess.

Kay24
      July 8, 2014, 5:44 pm

Regev, like Oren and Dermer are all weasels, who lie with a straight face, and make the facts look murky. They seem to be very good at it.

6. just
    just
    July 8, 2014, 1:18 pm

O/T am listening to Josh in the WH briefing….immigration, immigration, Hamas (SSDD), immigration, immigration…

7. gavroche
    gavroche
    July 8, 2014, 1:21 pm

The full first paragraph of the NYTimes article:

“Confronting the possibility of rising retaliatory violence between Jews and Palestinians, the Israeli authorities arrested six Israelis on Sunday in the killing of a Palestinian teenager, found beaten and burned in a Jerusalem forest last week.”

The religion of the suspects is implied in the first sentence. To argue that they were being squeamish about it requires ignoring the first part of the sentence.

8. James Canning
    James Canning
    July 8, 2014, 1:38 pm

Great piece. Fascinating.

9. marty_mcfly
    marty_mcfly
    July 8, 2014, 1:53 pm

Wow. That’s quite a turn-around by the Israeli gov’t isn’t it?
    From people like Ron Dermer making pathetic excuses and official accounts lurching from stories about catapults, to knives, to petrol bombs. Then Regev with this –
    “There is no excuse for this sort of behavior, and we’re currently investigating it”

Will quotes like that make life more difficult for them the next time such evidence emerges that pertains to violence directed at someone other than a US citizen? And was it domestic or international pressure that caused the change of tune?

seafoid
      July 8, 2014, 2:15 pm

Tapper should have asked him why the police started the rumour that Abu Khdeir was gay and killed in an honour killing.

Regev’s insistence that Israel is a democracy and Palestinians use the judicial system and sometimes win was laughable.

Israel is Alabama 1952 inside the Green Line and South Africa 1952 beyond it.

I bet he only does the job for the pension and that he’ll die in Australia.

Kris
        July 8, 2014, 3:38 pm

@seafoid: Regev: “Palestinians use the judicial system and sometimes win.”

This was extremely funny, if it hadn’t also been so tragic. Palestinians are in the Israeli judicial system after they’ve been beaten and tortured into signing false confessions.

seafoid
        July 8, 2014, 4:15 pm

And the Israeli judicial system is not independent. It underwrites the occupation.

marty_mcfly
        July 8, 2014, 7:27 pm

Well I guess technically he’s correct- 99.74% conviction rate in military court which suggests one in every 400 or so does win…

AbigailOK
        July 9, 2014, 3:16 pm

@ Kris Most are in administrative detention. No charges. No trial. And often as in the Occupied Territories the defense lawyer if there might be a court case, does not get to see the secret evidence. It is so evident that it is secret. What part of the word Apartheid state do some people not understand, I ask ya…

Shingo
        July 8, 2014, 5:08 pm

Tapper should have asked him why the police killed the two boys on Nakba day and how that investigation was going?

AbigailOK
      July 9, 2014, 3:19 pm

@marty_mcfly “….. and we’re currently investigating it” That is what Regev always says. Standard line. Hollow.

10. ritzl
    ritzl
    July 8, 2014, 2:26 pm

Someone (thanks/sorry…) posted this Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC) documentary “Stone Cold Justice” on Israel’s ongoing tactical arrest, detention, and abuse of Palestinians kids. It comes complete with conflicting Israeli responses of “it isn’t done” to “it must be done” to “we’re working on the problem and will implement reforms.”

Current. Unblinking. Relevant. Predictive. Great reporting.

It’s interesting, tangentially, that the Israeli spox would agree to be interviewed and give conflicting stories about such an abhorrent practice. One can only assume that they don’t see consistency or making sense as even a minor concern as the only rule appears to be that there are no rules (as the international community winks at the practice).

just
      July 8, 2014, 2:35 pm

It’s a great documentary. iirc, it was Sumud who brought it to us.

ritzl
        July 8, 2014, 2:37 pm

Thanks, Sumud. Thanks, just.

11. Donald
    Donald
    July 8, 2014, 2:28 pm

More to the point than what paragraph the term “Jewish extremist” appears, to me at least, is the fact that the NYT chose to review Shavit’s book and ignored Max Blumenthal. And people like Alterman who bashed Blumenthal look even dumber now.

It’s not really logical how these things are treated by the press–the evidence has been there all along–but it’s going to be harder to ignore what Max was talking about.

ritzl
      July 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Great point, Donald. “Goliath” just jumped the relevancy queue. Completely predictive. If anything Max didn’t dare to go far enough (didn’t draw conclusions), but all the information and trends influencing this Israeli behavior are right there in the book.

AbigailOK
        July 9, 2014, 3:26 pm

@ritzl. Which conclusions does one need after reading the book (haven’t finished it yet but am currently busy reading)? The reader gets enough info to draw his/her own IMHO. And often the choice of words Blumenthal uses says enough too.

I personally find him apart from a thorough journalist to be a morally (if not physically overthere) courageous man. If not a good writer too.

Read that the Rudoren and Kershner are all but independent. One is married to an AIPAC guy. Forgot whether that is Rudoren or Kershner. Don’t hold your breaths on any of those to ever get a balanced piece on I/P.

Kris
        July 8, 2014, 4:03 pm

@Bumblebye, that piece by Max Blumenthal is excellent, thank you.

An interesting comment follows Blumenthal’s article:

Bodies kept as long as useful ?
        PermalinkSubmitted by Jean-Pierre (not verified) on Tue, 07/08/2014 – 10:56
        Max Blumenthal’s work strenghens the view that 18 days separate the killing of the 3 young men and the finding of their buried bodies in a shallow grave reaching 30-40°C everyday. Yet rabbi Yaakov Roger of Abu Kabir forensic institute wrote (http://www.bhol.co.il/Article_…) that “worms were not found in the bodies” and that “according to doctors at the Forensic Institute, there is no scientific explanation for this phenomenon”. Science would suggest that the bodies were kept in the cold most of that time, something that only Israelis could achieve.

just
        July 8, 2014, 4:23 pm

Thank you Bumblebye.

Many thanks to Max for the detailed history. It’ll be easy to pass around to the uninformed/underinformed who haven’t bothered to peruse MW for the truth… you know, the ones that still think Israel is the victim and a democracy and would never, ever lie or kill for sheer sport.

seafoid
        July 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

It’s real vindication for him. All the crap he got back in NYC but he knows yossi israeli better than any of the bot mafia in the US. And Yossi’s kids, especially the haredi ones he had with that woman he never paid maintenance to.

ritzl
        July 8, 2014, 5:49 pm

VERY powerful, Bumblebye!

I can’t imagine any org even loosely defining themselves as a “news” org complying with a gag order that seals information that is diametrically opposed to the known, factual reality. Particularly when slaughter is the obvious intent and the easily-predictable outcome.

Shingo
      July 8, 2014, 5:22 pm

Excellent comment as always Donald.

I imagine that Israeli apologists like Alternan will be keeping their heads down for a while. I wonder if Oren will be making any appearances on Wolf Blitzer repeating Dermer’s crap.

12. RobertB
    RobertB
    July 8, 2014, 3:42 pm

To this date…there is NO evidence that any Palestinian or Hamas kidnapped the three Israelis kids. None. Israel doesn’t even know; on the other hand, there is plenty of video evidence…including photos of their faces, of who kidnapped the 16 year old Palestinian kid and burned him alive…to a crushing brutal death.

What savagery from these Israeli “Jewish terrorists” from the so called “the Jewish state”… Apartheid Israel with a nazi zionist regime.

13. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 3:44 pm

The question is [or should be]: are you an ASS?

ASS = Apartheid State Supporter

14. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 4:02 pm

Joe Gobbler tweeted earlier this morning ‘Israeli Military Steps up Gaza Offensive as if it is a real ‘war’ between to equal opponents.

If the Apartheid State keeps it up like this, they’ll be as welcome to the elusive ‘international community’ as a 3-legged, flatulent, wet dog is embraced in a tightly packed elevator.

15. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 4:37 pm

Israeli TV stations say the rocket was intercepted by Israel’s “Iron Dome” defense system. LINK.

Reminds me of what Baghdad Bob told me. He said many things.

16. justicewillprevail
    justicewillprevail
    July 8, 2014, 4:40 pm

When they start talking about the fact of Jewish terrorism, then progress will be made. This is what zionism has established when they claim to represent all jews. And not just isolated incidents, but a continuing, deliberate policy to implement dispossession, ethnic cleansing and delegitimisation of the incontestable and justified demands for Palestinian human rights.

17. piotr
    piotr
    July 8, 2014, 4:59 pm

A comment on “bilal a” reference to West Bank settler rabbis condemning the murder of Abu Khdeir: “There is an obligation to give them the death penalty, in order to fulfill the [Biblical precept of] ‘you shall eradicate the evil from your midst,’” the rabbi said.

“The State of Israel and its operational arms, the IDF and the security services are required and commanded to wage war against terror without mercy, until it has been expunged from the world,” adding that the murderers of Gil-Ad Shaer, Eyal Yifrah and Naftali Fraenkel should also receive the death penalty.

This theology is confusing to its own followers. The concept seems to be that the commandment “Thou shall not kill” is not applicable to the State, as it is indeed demonstrated many times in Torah, but applicable to all who are not executing plans and orders of the State. So far, even preschool children would understand. But wait! The State is not some independent agent, but should act on authority ultimately traceable to the Almighty, and the latter instructs the State to “wage war on terror without mercy” etc., using the mouths and pens of our sage rabbis. What should those followers do when the State is strangely slow, and perhaps even merciful? When it is hard to see how the proposed action could possibly “expunge the terror”? Shouldn’t they become volunteer arms of the State?

No, no, no, you morons! Mercy upon the enemy is forbidden, but so is disobedience. Sin of mercy committed by the officers of the state in no way justifies the disobedience of the vigilantes. But it is confusing, and the rabbis could be more lucid.

18. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Operation Revenge Attack.

Be afraid… be very afraid… They’re coming to get you… All 6 mil-

F!!!

There’s a giant shit coffee stain on this paper.

19. Kay24
    Kay24
    July 8, 2014, 5:05 pm

Blitzer of CNN is all excited about the possible war about to start between the Israelis and the Palestinians, always emphasizing the rockets that keep raining down.
    It would be good if some credible reporter mentioned the number of jet fighters dumping bombs, and how many Palestinians are being killed. Strange, they all claim the jet fighters are targeting “terror sights” or “extremists”. Who knows?

It seems 2 little children have also been killed. Again claims by Israel that this family was connected to Hamas….who knows?

It is sad that Palestinian families have to face the wrath of Israel, the playing field being far from leveled.

lysias
      July 8, 2014, 5:07 pm

CNN’s ratings always go way up when there’s a war.

Kay24
        July 8, 2014, 6:13 pm

Right now the Wolf man is interviewing some IDF spokesperson.
        That man is breathing fire, says it is too late for Hamas, they may go all out now. I feel for those poor Palestinian men, women and children, have no choice in this matter. Strange Israel has not lost any lives so far, but yet spitting fire. From what has been reported, seems some Palestinians have died, of course Israel says they are Hamas but who knows?

just
        July 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

“• Israeli strikes in Gaza killed at least 23 Palestinians on Tuesday, according to health ministry figures. At least 122 Palestinians were wounded, the ministry said. Israel said it had hit 200 targets in the last two days. ”

eljay
        July 8, 2014, 6:33 pm

>> Israeli strikes in Gaza killed at least 23 Palestinians on Tuesday, according to health ministry figures. At least 122 Palestinians were wounded, the ministry said. Israel said it had hit 200 targets in the last two days.

The Potato-man must be awfully proud to be a Zio-supremacist, what with Israel doing all efforts to…ummm…bomb the f*ck out of Gaza yet again as part of its 60+ years, ON-GOING and offensive (i.e., not defensive) campaign of aggression, oppression, theft, colonization, destruction, torture and murder.

Kay24
        July 8, 2014, 10:49 pm

When the Palestinians send rockets, Israel sends jet fighters to ” defend” itself.
        When jet fighters and precision bombs hit civilians homes and structures, the Palestinians are not suppose to “defend” themselves.

The US always keeps insisting Israel has the right to defend itself.
        Have you EVER heard one US official say, the Palestinians have a right to defend itself?

Bumblebye
      July 8, 2014, 5:27 pm

I’m rather sick of hearing “130 rockets” and Peres droning on about the targets being grandmothers and babies. How many bombs have they dumped on Gaza? How many grandmothers and babies are they targeting? Israeli projection as usual. Lame scream media lets them control the narrative of what’s happening. Back to the same old same old.

lysias
        July 8, 2014, 5:32 pm

Maybe Hamas should target Dimona instead. Peres couldn’t make that complaint then. If they did, I wonder how Israel would react.

Kay24
        July 8, 2014, 5:48 pm

My point exactly. They keep showing people in Tel Aviv scrambling when sirens were heard, and keep talking about rockets (mentions an injury, no deaths). Not one word what the thunderous jet fighters are doing over the Palestinian territories (number of casualties not mentioned yet).

Shingo
      July 8, 2014, 5:30 pm

Yes, our thoughts should go out to Dimadok. I hope those rockets are not interrupting his enjoyment of the World Cup.

lysias
        July 8, 2014, 5:32 pm

Speaking of the World Cup, what a performance today by Germany!

German Lefty
        July 8, 2014, 5:50 pm

Speaking of the World Cup, what a performance today by Germany!

Oh, yes! I almost got a heart attack, figuratively speaking. I took turns at screaming of joy and rubbing my eyes in disbelief. Now it’s over. Result: 7-1 for Germany.

Bumblebye
        July 8, 2014, 6:01 pm

My lad’ll be jubilant – he drew Germany in the office pool!

20. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 5:19 pm

Warning. Graphic images.

The pictures we don’t see in MSM.

Who benefits?

21. German Lefty
    German Lefty
    July 8, 2014, 5:54 pm

Melissa Harris-Perry 07/06/14
    Can images shift American opinion of Mideast?

Andrea Mitchell Reports 07/08/14
    Israel and Palestine brace for more violence

Kay24
      July 8, 2014, 6:36 pm

Maen Erakeit PLO Ambassador, just said on CNN that 23 Palestinians have died so far, including an entire family. He was right when he mentioned that the IDF spokesperson who was interviewed, did not really mean it when he said they were not targeting civilians. Yeah right!

22. just
    just
    July 8, 2014, 6:04 pm

Hurrah for him, Bumblebye!

(Extra clotted cream on your scones or berries!)

Bumblebye
      July 8, 2014, 6:58 pm

I should be so lucky!
      No, it’ll probably go on something for the baby – 8 weeks and counting down!

RoHa
        July 8, 2014, 8:44 pm

So in eight weeks you will stop posting here because any spare minute you have will be spent trying to catch up on your sleep?

23. Daniel Rich
    Daniel Rich
    July 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

@ German Lefty,

Completely off topic: first I thought my sleepy head played games with me, but after thoroughly rubbing my eyes and reloading the page, the numbers didn’t change 7-1.

Congratulations.

24. bpm
    bpm
    July 8, 2014, 6:25 pm

Wouldn’t Zionist be the most accurate and fair on first reference? Then you can add Israeli and Jewish. One can be both of the Jewish faith and of the Jewish “ethnicity” (as some claim) without being a Zionist or even Israeli. One can be Jewish and still abhor Israel. I know some Jews who think anyone who burns a teenager alive is no Jew. Granted these Jews don’t live in Israel. Yet if one is an Israeli, then one knowingly chooses to live in a land undergoing ethnic cleansing for a century. But perhaps he or she has seen the light and is working for justice. But a Zionist? That’s a separate evil.

Mooser
      July 9, 2014, 10:28 pm

I too, would like it if people were more scrupulous about using the terms “Zionist” and “Jew” and “Israeli”.

But that train left the tarmac years ago. It’s too bad, but that ship has left the station.

25. American
    American
    July 8, 2014, 10:12 pm

Jewish, Israeli, ..why worry over which, its all America’s fault.

Tablet Magazine: America is the arsonist of the Middle East, setting off the latest cycle of Israel-Palestine violence:

http://po.st/pZ5n51 @LeeSmithTWS https://twitter.com/tabletm

Lee Smith must be Chomsky’s love child.
    We all know America’s guilt in this—-but its not the Chomsky lie of US Empire in the ME—its US ‘political’ corruption.

26. DICKERSON3870
    DICKERSON3870
    July 9, 2014, 1:55 am

RE: Here’s a bizarre statement in the Tampa Bay Times, from a fellow Floridian on the beating of Tampa resident Tarek Abu Khdeir: “They’re giving this kid more publicity than he deserves,” said Bob Kunst, a longtime pro-Israel activist in South Florida . . . ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: This is apparently the Robert Kunst who ran as an “independent” (but not independent of Likudnik Israel) for Congress against Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

● Robert Kunst for Congress | Independent to unseat Debbie Wasserman Schultz – http://bobkunst.wordpress.com/

27. Stogumber
    Stogumber
    July 9, 2014, 3:03 am

In such embarassing cases, it’s not unheard of that the “authorities” arrest people at random – people who are well known as violent activists and have no definite proof of having been elsewhere. It’s done all around the world, so I would be cautious to call the incriminated six the murderers.