Are you ready for 2017? Like many people, we at Mondoweiss are happy to say good riddance to 2016—but we don’t take this symbolic turning of the page as a moment to let down our guard. The struggles in the year to come will be set by fascistic leaders and movements in Israel, the United States and elsewhere. But here’s where we draw hope: the new challenges are already starting to force moral accountability on people who have avoided it. Liberal Zionists and others will have to choose sides.
For those who will be fighting back—the ones who will join battle for the first time, as well as people like you who have been active already—effective campaigning will require more of what Mondoweiss delivers: independent, accurate news and analysis.
Muckraker journalist George Seldes said it best: “The truth is not in the commercial media because the truth is a dagger pointed at its heart, which is its pocketbook.” Because Mondoweiss’s independence is ensured by the contributions of thousands of supporters like you, the truth for us is not the dagger but the heart.
Today is the last time this year that we will ask for your donations to maintain and grow Mondoweiss’s leadership in defining, documenting and strategizing resistance to injustice. The challenges will be massive, and we need your help to increase our capacity to face them. (If you have already donated, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts!)
It’s been a Mondoweiss tradition to end each year by listing the year’s posts that received the most views. Below, you can see the top stories of the 1500+ published in 2016—a very diverse group. This year, however, our look back goes beyond a quantitative list. Over the past two weeks our series “Reporting Spreads Resistance,” highlighting the best of Mondoweiss journalism in 2016, has featured commentary by leaders in the movement for justice in Palestine on six key themes:
- Laila Abdelaziz on resisting US policy
- James Zogby on distortion in mainstream media
- Diana Buttu on reporting as resistance
- Nadya Raja Tannous on movement building and alliance
- Felice Gelman on Palestinian resistance through culture
- Nada Elia on the power of BDS
We’ve also gathered a selection of the year’s reporting that we’re most proud of, at mondoweiss.net/ReportResist.
Please share with us in the comments any stories you feel had particular value this year, and your suggestions for stories we should follow in 2017. And please, if you believe Mondoweiss makes a difference in moving public discourse, donate today so we can continue to advance the ideas and values you care about.
The team at Mondoweiss is privileged to devote our time and energy to telling the truth about Palestine. As the year ends, we thank you for making our work possible through your support— intellectual, moral and financial. Here’s to a 2017 that helps us all move toward justice!
By number of views, 2016’s top ten posts are:
- Israeli soldier filmed executing wounded Palestinian man
- How Zionism helped create the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Palestinian poet and artist Ashraf Fayadh sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia
- Hell just froze over: the New York Times runs an article saying Zionism is racist
- More than half of US aid ‘to entire world’ goes to Israel and it ignores our warnings on settlements — Kerry
- Israel demands correction from Sanders: it killed only 532 Palestinian children in summer 2014
- Not the only ‘proud Palestinian’ in the family–Gigi Hadid’s father details refugee history in Syria
- Israeli designer eroticizes the Palestinian keffiyeh
- Read the speech Bernie Sanders planned to give to AIPAC
- American Express disowns Pink Floyd singer Roger Waters because of pro-Palestinian views
Because much of our audience viewed posts via social media, we provide another measure of the pieces that had the largest audience: the items that had the widest reach on Facebook. Mondoweiss videos attracted the most attention on Facebook, including the following:
- Interviews with Israelis about Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump (which, combined, reached millions of users)
- Interview with Mary al-Atrash, a Palestinian Olympic swimmer (reached 304,236)
- Children talking about their life in refugee camps (reached 290,968)
- Residents of a Bedouin village demolished by Israel three times (reached 242,175)
- The “March of Return” for the #Nakba commemoration (reached 90,385)
Most-viewed Mondoweiss posts on Facebook, other than videos, were:
- Israel demands correction from Sanders: it killed only 532 Palestinian children in summer 2014 (reached 210,480 people)
- Hebron settlers file complaint against Palestinian who filmed execution (reached 161,779)
- More than half of US aid ‘to entire world’ goes to Israel and it ignores our warnings on settlements — Kerry (reached 124,393)
- Israeli soldier filmed executing wounded Palestinian man (reached 123,746)
- Hell just froze over: the New York Times runs an article saying Zionism is racist (reached 107,302)